TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: News/Documentary: looking for a documentary : The African Elephant (1971)

winstomsmith

[1]Jan 30, 2013
    • level: 1

Hello,

I'm looking for an animal documentary named 'The African Elephant' that was released in 1971 by Simon Trevor. I used to watch the french-dubbed version of this documentary in my childhood in the 80s and early 90s - its french title is 'Ahmed l'éléphant africain' and it was named 'Elephant King' in Britain. Here is its imdb page : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141517/.

There's a 6mn clip of it on youtube - in hungrarian! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxrf5QCffM

It is the best African documentary I ever watched. The story of Ahmed the elephant was poignant and it had beautiful footage of the elephants and many other animals.

This documentary seems to be very rare and hard to find. It was never released as a DVD and the only reference of the VHS version that I found - on Amazon - was faulty : it was an american VHS tape that was supposed to be this very film, but the seller sent me another movie that had the same title but was a 1987 film that I had no interest in. The seller wasn't responsible because the mistake was in amazon's listing (it was the only item in stock in the first place). I'm actually not even sure it was ever sold on VHS. It was released in theaters in many countries, then it was shown on TV on some occasions - of course it's very hard to find out where and when.

It is listed in netflix's dvd rentals, but I have no access to this because netflix isn't avalaible in my country, so I can't know for sure, and anyway I couldn't have it shipped to my country anyway.

I own the old french VHS I used to watch by it's in bad shape - it was recorded in the late 1970s, probably - from TV - and colors have mostly faded away, which is too bad because this documentary had excellent photography. I believe it may require professional video editing skills, which I don't have to recover proper colors from this point.

So it seems I'm basically stuck and left only with my poor copy with garbled colors. Does anyone own this film, have any insight about where to find it, or could possibly bother checking the dvd rental on netflix ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Amogh27

[2]Feb 12, 2014
    Hi winstomsmith,

Could you get any information on this?

I am also looking for this documentary which I saw almost 35-40 years ago as a kid and desperately want to get it.

Please share any information if you get

- Amogh Mathure (India)

Amogh27

[3]Feb 12, 2014
    http://www.amazon.com/African-Elephant-VHS-David-Wayne/dp/157875027X/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1392276696&sr=1-7&keywords=Simon+Trevor

Is it the same thing that you ordered & found to be different?

winstomsmith

[4]Apr 9, 2014

Hello,

I eventually managed to get my hands on a better copy (in english). Feel free to private message me if you are interested.

Cheers,