10 Reasons Why True Blood Is Better Than the Books It's Based On

I’ve watched every episode of HBO’s True Blood, which is about to kick off its fourth season, and I’ve read every one of the Sookie Stackhouse novels on which it's based. An eternity is not enough time to express my gratitude to Ms. Charlaine Harris for the best premise in Southern Gothic mythology in these United States. But True Blood creator Alan Ball has refined her story into something with more insight and intensity than the complete works of Charles Dickens, and the HBO drama has the notable honor of being a TV adaptation that’s even better than its very addictive source material.

This is not just my opinion, it's a science fact, and here are ten reasons why.

10. Eric’s hair
In the books, Vampire Sheriff Eric Northman’s hair is frequently described as being bound up in intricate braids. Seriously? Who would even do the braiding? Pam?

9. Sookie is not the narrator
Sookie Stackhouse narrates each one of the books in the first person, with a mix of charming naivete and sass. Anna Paquin’s Sookie is definitely the center of True Blood, but we aren’t tied to her perspective. We don’t stay shut up with her in the FOTS basement in Season 2, we go aboveground, check out Jason getting it on with the Preacher’s wife, go to Bon Temps and watch the town have orgies under the influence of the maenad. Basically any time you see someone onscreen and they’re not directly across from Sookie, it didn’t happen in the books, or they told her about it over coffee several weeks later.

8. There's no Bubba
The vampire Bubba appears in the first couple of books, and Charlaine has to take pains to introduce him because for legal reasons she can't explicitly state that he’s a vampirized Elvis.

But that's what he is. Alternately called the King or the Man from Memphis, he eats cats (just like Alf) and is almost crucified by the King of Louisiana. I know, I know.

7. Lafayette
Charlaine Harris created Lafayette’s character, gave him about two lines, and then killed him off in the first chapter of the second book. The True Blood Lafayette, played masterfully by Nelsan Ellis, is a main character and maybe the most compelling one on the show. An intensely masculine line cook who wears makeup to work could easily be written as a caricature, but Lafayette is a layered, three-dimensional person who’s survived torture, supported his demented mother and suicidal cousin, and begun a romance without any inconsistency of character or tone, a real feat for the TB writers.

6. We actually get to see things
Look, we all have powerful imaginations. I love to read, I really do. But there’s something to be said for this:

...versus, like, “Alcide was possessed of rough good looks.” AND True Blood films on location, AND it puts a lot of artistry and budget into its special effects. There's a visual joke or indelible image in every episode. Sorry books, Eyes have reported to Brain and TV takes the prize for best imagery.

5. Sound
From the first gritty notes of that bluesy twang, the opening sequence locks down the world of the show in a way a thousand-thousand books never could. Hold that book up to your ear. What's that sound? Pages flipping? FAIL.

Every episode is named for a song, too. I care about TV that cares about music.

4. Alan Ball’s original characters
Some of the most engrossing characters, the ones who show us the most perspective on important story points, were created specifically for the show. Jessica Hamby, Bill’s forced vampire child, shows us what it means to become a modern vampire. Then there's Amy Burley, Jason’s V-addict girlfriend (who's played by the irresistible Lizzy Caplan); Eggs, Tara’s murdered fiancee; and the swamp witch from Season 1, just to name a few.

3. Charlaine Harris’s original characters are better on the show
Charlaine, I love you, but in your books Tara is a boring nobody who runs a store called Tara’s Togs, and she only shows up when Sookie wants discount clothes. At no point is she kidnapped by a vampire, tied to a toilet, dressed in an Old South gown, and then served flowers for dinner. Tara’s arc is so beyond surreal that if you’re not screaming at the television, you’re not paying enough attention. Which leads me to...

2. This:

At no point in any of the books did we get to see a woman in a long lace nightgown knocked over by a werewolf on the lawn of a sprawling Southern estate. Like, what?

1. Bill loves Sookie more on TV
In the books, Bill Compton is dispassionate. When Sookie is being chased through the graveyard by Rene in Dead Until Dark, Bill is caught up in an exciting computer project and hears about her attempted murder in the hospital. On the show, Bill wakes up, drawn to her panic, and walks through the daylight, bursting into flames, to try to save her.

That was a powerful moment in the series, and it really gave their relationship the kind of credibility that carried them through the brutal third season. In the books, Bill runs off to join Lorena—he isn’t compelled. He’s kind of a butthole, he’s kind of heartless, he’s kind of a monster. I want to see the kind of romantic, death-defying love that an affair with the undead implies. I can get invested and deeply care about these fantastical creatures with crazy mythologies because Alan Ball grounds them in a bone-deep core of pure emotion. And that makes for some of the most humanistic writing and most three-dimensional characters outside of great literature, except they happen to be on TV. And half naked.

True Blood Season 4 premieres this Sunday, June 26 at 9pm on HBO.

Those of you who've read the books: Do you agree? Or do you like the source material better than the show?

Honestly? This is so goddamn ridiculous. At least in the books Sookie gets upset about killing people, and shows the struggle that most people would go through if they suddenly had to start killing people they knew. Also I wish Bubba WAS in the show, he was one of the best characters! Bill was never horrible to Sookie, apart from when he actually told her, by Eric's hand, what the Queen forced him to do. ALSO in the show Hadley doesn't die and we don't get much time with Hunter, at least not by season 4/5. Also how DARE You about Tara?! She got attacked and kidnapped by a vampi, fuck you very much! That douchebag's "friend" kidnapped her to get back at Sookie since Sookie tried to help Tara escape. Anyway. I personally prefer the books - they give Sookie and Bill's relationship a little more depth, and they also go more into the witchy and fae side of things.
What the hell?
Really?
-.-U Not true. At all.
But then, if you're able to call Bill and Sookie's toxic relationship "love", what could we expect?
Eggs wasn't Alan Ball's character. He was in the second book. He dated Tara and attended the sex party with her.
I just read this today, and obviously I'm very behind the times (seeing as Season 6 just ended). However, I agree on pretty much all of your points. I started reading the books AFTER I watched all of the episodes (I started watching at Season 6, and then went back and watched everything in a weeklong blitz). With every book series that is turned into a TV show / Movie, you have to be understanding of the creative license that comes along with turning it into film. I'm not upset at all by the turns the show has taken, and I'm not really upset with what the show has left out from the books. (And I'm so happy the show has strayed away from the last 7 books - I personally wasn't a huge fan....)
i disagree with 1, because it doesn't matter if its in the books or on tv....eric and sookie are better than sookie and bill. :D
I kind of agree... but I, for one, MISS Bubba! He's one of my faves!
Oh... and I HATE Tara on the show. I preferred her in the books.)
Staff
@ahkaela: Couldn't have put it better myself. Comparing the differences is enjoyable, not distracting. Its bizarre when the books are so complete in and of themselves that anyone would want to see a shot for shot re-telling of them. The unpredictability of the television series is crucial to its draw. True Blood's characters consistently surprise me, and yet the writers make sure the emotional logic that underpins their actions is always sound.
LOL at number 5 and 6. Movies are better than books because they have picture and sound.... LAME
@edeainfj - Your response to this article was EPIC, maybe you should be reviewing this show
Wow... Just wow... Scrolling down this page, reading these "reasons" why Alan Ball's sick twisted version of one of the best novel series out today is better than the novels themselves almost made me want to vomit. I get that shows can't exactly adapt everything from a book (save for Game of Thrones apparently) but my god has this show fallen by the wayside since season two. If Alan Ball wasn't so gay for Bill/Sookie, the fans would have a series that actually resembled the source material i.e, the show would be GOOD. What he have now is basically Ball's wet dreams involving someone else's characters. And Bubba is OSSUM. The biggest travesty to date is that he can't be on the show. Dump Lafayette (if only to get rid of Jesus) and bring in the King!
I agree with kcragg except for Sam did have a brother and a sister who did not share his shape-shifting ability. He even took Sookie to his brother's wedding. I just want to know why they would make Bill a king? Then there is Hot Shot, why did they kill Calvin Norris? He is an important character and has not died so far. I personally don't see a problem with Eric having long braided hair. I don't mind them creating characters but changing the ones from the books both race and profession(Tara) and keeping them alive (Lafayette) is not necessary. I, as well, obviously prefer the books but I try not to compare the show. Though when I see a list for 10 reasons why True Blood is better than the books it's based on I have to say something. JMO
I really don't know how it is done, but when a book is turned into a series for TV or movies, it ought to at least have something from the books in it. I was so disappointed in the first episode of True Blood Season 4. I have read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and there was nothing in this first episode that was from the books. Sookie does not disappear for over a year, Jason is not a police officer and wasn't kidnapped and doesn't sell Sookies house, Andy is not addicted to V, Arlene is not a waitress at Sam's anymore, Jessica is not even in the books, Bill is not King of Louisiana, Tara did not run away to become a gay cagefighter, Lafayette died in the first book, Sam doesn't have a brother, etc. I can't believe anyone would let TV writers mess up their stories like this. I watched the first three seasons and they at least had some resemblance to the books. I am so disappointed, I would really like to see some of the story lines from the books in the TV series. Obviously, I prefer the books. Why would any author allow these TV writers to screw with their stories like this?
I am a reader and watch very little TV so naturally I prefer the books, but I accept that the show is it's own entity and enjoy it for what it is. As for you enjoying the fact that Bill loves Sookie more on the show perhaps, but what a sick, obsessive, possessive, conceded kind of love. I find it anything but romantic actually pretty creepy and not the kind of love that I would wish for.
I've read all the books several times & watched all the True Blood episodes & I enjoy both but it took a litte while to stop getting pissed about how 'wrong' they were doing the tv show & just enjoy it as it's own thing. It's not the same as the books...hardly at all. It's a bit like comparing apples & oranges. They have similarities but they're very different. I love apples AND oranges, not because of the similarities but because of the differences. Same with the books & the tv series. I'd take either Eric, btw.
I prefer the story in the books as the tv show understandably misses a lot of stuff out. But overall I prefer the show as you see it rather than have to imagine it. Plus it helps that Alexander Skarsgard is damn fine to look at. I really hope this season has a LOT of the Dead to the World Book in it as I loved that book.
Down side to the series: Only 12 episodes per season. I could happily have a full 22 episode season of True Blood.
As a Witch, I don't like the way the Witches are portrayed on the show. A TRUE Witch would never take part in a ritual to try to bring back something that had died. That scene really disappointed me. They need to get a technical adviser who KNOWS about Wicca/Witchcraft.
Me, too. I never liked Tara. I am glad, however, that they resurrected Lafayette on the show. He is one of my fav characters, along with Pam. Pam's deadpan delivery is great!
Disagree about Tara. The less I see her - the better. Can she please never come back to BT and we never see her again?
I read all the books, and to be honest I read them more than once. Yes, I am one of those people. I even watched the TB's seasons more than once also, but never an entire episode, only parts of it (I fast forward a lot). I only watch Sookie/Eric/Bill/Sam/Alcide parts. Obviously I prefer the books. I like TB as well, at least half of it. 1)I do not like Tara's character at all. 2) Bill's characters is irritating (in the show, not in the books) 3)The relationship between Sookie and Alcide is not intense enough 4) I like Laffayette's character and yet there is something seriously missing in the storyline itself 5) I love Bubba

The only character I absolutely love in both the books and the show is Pam's. I am not saying that the show should be 100% the same as the books, I am just saying that some of the plots in the show I extended to the point of boring. The way season 3 was made, I was actually surprised it was renewed for season 4.
i like both to be honest. i like the book coz sookie fights back and has some hilarious thoughts like when she thought about a threesome between her eric and bill! but i like the fact that laffayette hasn't been killed off in the series and jessica is a great character! i love pam's character both in the books and series. they are both great for different reasons, the books because half of what sookie is thinking makes me laugh and the series because it gives the other characters like tara, jason and sam larger roles to play.
I love the books more than the show in most areas. I agree with you on the Lafayette and Jessica parts. I am happy Alan kept Lafayette throughout the series. When I watched the series premiere, I thought Tara was awesome, but she's been getting on my last nerves since. I'm with her when she screams at Sookie about how dumb she is about going back to Bill time and time again no matter what horrible things he does to her. I stopped liking Bill and Sookie as a couple early in season 3 and after I started reading about her and Alcide then Eric, I saw something way better. Bill and Sookie makes for a really good friendship in book 10 and 11. I did not like season 2 at all, but I did enjoy any time Eric and Sookie were together. Sam in the books is one of my favorites, but the show changed him into something else, adding that horrible family of his. So far, season 4 looks like its shaping up to be an awesome one, can't wait.
ditto, @edeainfj, ditto!! Well said ! *** Alan Ball and Charlaine Harris have both gone on record stating that the TV series is designed to be much different than the novels. Please don't condescend to the rest of us who have read and enjoyed the novels by pretending you've done the same. We can appreciate that the books and the TV series use the same main characters to spin completely different stories....
I like the show a lot but I like the books better (apart from the most recent). I definitely like things about the show like Layfayette and Jessica but Bill is more annoying and Sookie kinda drives me nuts. I don't think the shows stories work as well as they do in the book because things have been left out or over focused on.
I became addicted to the show and thought I should read the books. I kind of wish I hadn't. Each genre has is own pro's and cons but when you add it all up, the show wins out, hands down. Charlaine Harris built a great foundation for the show. The story lines that she produced, especially in the first 5 books were meaty and exciting. Unfortunatly I felt that I was reading books written by a 12 year old. The writing was immature and there were so many gaping plot holes that the reading became a chore. I mean, how many times do we need to be reminded that Sookie is telepathic? Lafayette is an asset to the tv show but Tara has become annoying and whiney. In the first episode, Tara came across as sassy, tough and resistant to bull....t, what happened?
To finish, I can say I eagerly wait for season 4 and the building relationship between Sookie and any other supernatural who comes her way inc. Eric but I dont think I will be going out of my way in a hurry to get book 11. The last 3 books I read have let me down. There is no real plot and I feel the Charlaine Harris wants to have done with Sookie.
too bad each season peaks at the middle and declines to rubbish by the final episodes, loosely closing edges and setting up stuff for the next season.
First 2 seasons were great. 3rd was HORRIBLE. and Tara, she's just the worst character EVER. Everyone of her story-lines involves her being manipulated &/or kidnapped. She is pathetic. and Sookie is very whiny and hypocritical and annoying too. and Bill is just like "Sookie!' all day long. Hopefully, season 4 has better plot-lines than Sam being a dick all season long to his weirdo dumbass family!
After seeing all of the episodes and reading this i dont think id ever read the books...
@edeainfj: You took the words right out of my mouth! I have read all of the books up to #10 and will soon start #11. I love the romace between the Eric and Sookie and I love that Eric is way less of a douche in the books. I liked Bill and Sookie at first, but he got old real quick. I love Alcide in both the books and the show and just wish he and Sookie had ended up together. I hate that the show makes a lot of the characters out to be meaner than they are in the books. For example, Calvin Norris. In the books he is a hardworking, kind man and the show made him out to be some drug running, backwoods villian. I agree about what other commentors have said about the first book: it started out really slow, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down and are addicted to the series. Also, I saw the video on HBO.com about where Sookie has been and that is so far off from the books, its ridiculous. If you haven't seen it, it shows her in the fae world and they are trying to trap her and some other mind-reading humans there. The faeries are evil looking and mean. It also introduces Claude and he is not nearly as hot as I imagined. I also thought that Claudine would be way hotter after the way the book described her. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the show and the books equally, and the changes Ball has made make the show more interesting, but there are some things from the book I would have liked to stay the same. Oh, and I was a big fan of Tara, but I agree with the others. I am sick of her crap now. I was her character wasn't so defensive. Yuck. I have always been a fan of anything supernatural, so if the books had not made to screen or if the show was not based on a book, I still would have been a fan. Lily, do more research before you write an article, please.
Staff
Let me state for the record that I want to see Sookie with Eric. But I also enjoy a good love triangle, and its a more dramatic love triangle when Bill is written the way he is on the television series- brooding, struggling with his darker impulses, but still out of his mind with love for Sookie.
Wow... okay. Lily Sparks obviously 1) forgot a lot of the books and 2) is Team Bill. I'll take this point by point.

1 - Eric's hair is "frequently bound up in intricate braids"? No. It is occasionally braided in one simple braid. Most of the time it's loose. Just because True Blood had a bad wigmaker and/or hairstylist doesn't mean that Eric's hair shouldn't be long like the hot Viking he is.

2 - I agree that Sookie can't be the narrator and sole viewpoint of a TV show. But Sookie SHOULD be by far the main character of the show. She isn't, and because of it, the show suffers from a lack of focus. Season 3 was a mess of storylines that few people cared about.

3 - Bubba is there for HUMOR. Y'know? Humor? Fans of the books love him. And he doesn't appear in the "first couple of books." He's in almost all of them.

4 - I agree with this point. I love Lafayette.

5 - This point is kind of silly. Books require imagination, yes. Horrors! Not that I mind seeing half-naked men running around in hot, sweaty weather. Not at all.

6 - I love the music on True Blood as much as the next person. But "sound"? Another silly (and pointless) point. I know you have to come up with 10, but come on!

7 - First of all, as others have mentioned, you listed characters created by Charlaine Harris. Granted, Alan Ball gave them more screen time and fleshed them out. I will give you Jessica. She's one of my favorite characters on the show. I love everything about her.

8 - No. Just no. Tara is grating on the show, and I don't care about her at all. (Nothing against Rutina, who is gorgeous and a fine actress) Sam gets skewered on the show. Eric is turned into a dour, dark predator. Bill is romanticized beyond all reason. Sophie-Anne is made silly and shallow instead of regal. I'll just stop there.

9 - Nothing to say here. It's just a clip from the show. Really? (I did love Franklin on the show. He was delicious, and I hated that they killed him)

10 - This point grates on whatever nerves I had left. Yes, Bill is a "butthole" and a "monster" in the books. That's because Eric quickly becomes the romantic lead of the series - and rightly so. How is the show better because it puts Bill on a pedestal and cuts out almost everything that makes Eric great (killing Long Shadow, being THERE any time Sookie needs him, being funny)?

Look, I realize that the books and the show are two different things. And in spite of how this post comes across, I love the show. But saying that it's better than the books is ridiculous. I recognize the books for what they are: romantic fiction, not great writing. But I fell in love with those characters, and it angers me to see them butchered.
Without the book, there would be No tv program, but the Tv program is a better visual, during the break the books fill the emptiness, so we need them both, Just my Opinion! Love Alan and Charlene Both!!! True blood as long as possible, Hopely forever!
I agree with some of the points, like Eric's hair and the introducing new characters however I'd just like to say that Bill is annoying in both the books and the tv show. They needed to make him boring so that we can make the transition from him to Eric much easier. Also I could do without the Tara in the show. She is soooo whiny it hurts. And finally, I think Harris is slightly out of touch which is seen in Sookies dialogue. I do however love the books and the tv show equally. Like everything in life you have to take the good with the bad.
I only read the third book (which is based on the third season), but I liked the show better.
I agree with most of the points, except number one. I don't really like Bill and Sookie together, and because Bill was so lame in the books, Sookie dumped him. Also missing, under the heading of Eric's hair: Bill's sideburns!
Sometimes the show seems like a completely different story from the one told in the novels. And this is what's great about both. I've read all the novels, but I'm still excited about the show. I'm a true(blood) junkie. for both.
I havent read the books, and I have to say, I was amazed at some of the points in here. Lafayette is easily one of my favorite characters, and the fact alone that he is barely in the books at all saddens me. Not to mention no Jessica, and her relationship with Hoit (spelling?) was so mushy I couldn't help but root for them both. Definitely interesting to know just how much extra Alan Ball (and the writing staff) have added to the depth of this universe.
The show premieres this Sunday June 26! at9 p.m.
I am busy reading the books and completely agree. The show is much more 3 dimensional and intense.
after season 1 i had the interest in reading the books but then i heard from so many people how the books really just give basic plotlines and inspiration for the show and how the show is so much better that i didn't even bother.
I would have added the performance of Denis O'Hare as Russell Edgington. One of the best performances on the show as being both regal and completely bonkers at the same time.
@sakuramankai: That's exactly how I felt while reading the first book of the Twilight series. Just out of curiosity: did you read them/like those books? So I know whether or not I should give the first Sookie Stackhouse novel a try.
lol. 9 of the 10 points you mention make me wanna read the books and just drop the TV show. I guess I would miss Jessica.
The show is a MILLION times better than the books. Ok, actually, I only read the first book, because it was SO god awful. Four times when I was reading it, I put it down and thought "No way. I'm not wasting time reading this junk" but I kept picking it up knowing it needed to be returned to the library soon. I ended up finishing it....and then regretting finishing it. Awful, awful.
I agree with the whole seeing of Alcide and Eric POV....Even Hoyt is cutie pie. I have loved the addition of Jessica, she is quite entertaining. I like that Lafayette did not die like he did in the books, glad Ball kept him, he is colorful, complex and entertaining. I liked the TV Tara for about 4 episodes and now I just see her as whiny and crass and annoying. The book Tara is way more refined and interesting and still manages to be tough and assertive. I like both Sam's but did not like the family arc they added for him, his birth parents were not white trash and only a 1st born of 2 full shifters can be a shifter, ergo...his brother, whats his name could not be a shifter, sorry I nit-pick about certain things. I like the King of Memphis, he can be hysterically funny and the next second be extremely violent and vicious then turn around and apologize for it. I could go on and on but I will not. People who read the books will know what I am talking about those that don't well...never mind :-) I adore the books, I live in the south so I can see and feel and smell many of the things she talks of in the books, oh and as a side, the accents suck, pun not intended. The only one that sounds real is Lafayette and that is because he lived in Alabama, which is where I live, for about 6 or 7 years when he was young so his is not really faked as the others. I will continue to watch the show because I want to see where Ball goes this season but it has taken me trying to watch it more than once to start watching it and paying attention and even now I will still drift or get up and go get something to eat or drink and then wander back in to see what is going on. As a caveat to all this. I am a huge vampire/werewolf/witch/anything supernatural fan from WWWWaaaay back before it was cool and hip and nouveau, when I liked them you were considered weird and the **she's not like other members of our family** So I will watch almost anything with a supernatural feel except Twilight. Vampires do not sparkle and they never will!
The show is ten times more amazing and less boring than the books..hands down..no argument
I agree with quite a few of your points in this article, such as lafayette not dying and eric's much needed hair cut, although I disagree about tara, shes wayy more annoying in the television series (except for her plot with franklin mott in season 3, mainly due to his craziness). The same thing can be said with sam to an extent, the plot with his family in season 3 was terrible, i used to wait till it was over and we got back to a more interesting story line. The maenad in season 2 also took up more screen time than necessary - i preferred the books depiction of her instead.
All that being said both the books and tv series have their good and bad qualities and i'm looking forward to the return of true blood this weekend
This is one of the laziest articles I've seen here in a while. I blasted through most of the books in one week (they're crappy romance novels, no brain power needed) and I still retained more than you have, a supposed fan. If you're going to gimmick people into a discussion, the least you could do is make your statements mostly true instead of mostly made-up. Next time have the books on the desk beside you -- and use them. Meanwhile, on Sunday I will go back to my hobby of identifying where Ball detours from the books as a means to get through the terrible fake accents the actors use and the schmaltzy writing, for the eye candy of Bill and Erik and the rare bravura performances by actors like Denis O'Hare.
Well Lily, I've read all the books and watched the first tree seasons and I have to tell you I love them both. The fact that Alan Ball has changed the storyline or added characters has not stopped me from loving the books. Each medium is unique in and is entertaining each in its own way.
I love books, I read all the books until the last, and I really love the love between Sookie and Eric, and I would like to change that in true blood, all around them not as important as their love story, and you did not read the book does not ever understand
I agree with the majority of what you wrote. I just finished reading book 8. While I enjoy reading the books, I like True Blood more because you get to know the other characters better and Sookie doesn't need to be around. When I read the books, I picture the characters as the actors that play them, so Eric does not have a braid when I read.
Load More Comments