12 Monkeys: Watch the Head-Spinning Season 2 Trailer (VIDEO)

Oh 12 Monkeys, how I have missed you and all your vague clues about the way we're all going to die. Season 1 was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2014, mixing a thriller, a love story, and time travel into one of the more necessary adaptations on television. And this first look at Season 2 indicates that we're not done being impressed.

At this week's New York Comic-Con, Syfy released the trailer for 12 Monkeys' second season and watching it reminded me that I have a lot of studying up to do to get myself back in brain-shape for handling another season of this smartly put together series. Red forest? The Traveler? All those timelines? Can someone hook me up with some of that Limitless drug so I can figure it all out? Take a look:

AND there's a Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure quote in there? LOVE it.

12 Monkeys returns this April on Syfy.

Jan 11, 2016
I can't believe I have to wait so long. Ugh! I wish that I could time travel to the future so that I could watch now.

So glad that I caught up w/this show. Love it so much!
Oct 20, 2015
Season 2 Theories below. Contains spoilers.

The whole point of the plague as has been mentioned numerous times within the show is evolution. The Witness and all of the major players on the pro-plague side are the bi-products of that evolution: fully evolved humans from the future far beyond Cole's timeline. Evolved humans that are trying to make sure Cole's attempts to prevent the plague end in failure because their future and their evolved state relies on its dissemination.
The evolved humans also have access to time travel technology that is far more efficient than Cole's and it is through that technology that Cole (or at least his body) make it 1000 years in the past to be found in the Himalayas - there is no other way that the technology Cole has been using has the power to send him back that far.
Oct 21, 2015
Exciting theory! Do you have inside scoop (since you mentioned "spoilers") or is this your own theory? I belong to an excellent discussion group for 12 Monkeys, and it would be great if you could share this with them as food for thought. We were just discussing (last night) the possibility of Cole as the origin and trying to determine how it would be possible. I know one reason for the 12 messengers' skin pallor which could tie in with your evolution/distant future theme, but I'm not quite sure how it would tie in other than as a protective measure for traveling to the past.
Oct 22, 2015
No inside scoop - I used the spoiler tag due to mentioning Cole's body being transported 1000 years in the past. I don't know how specific something has to be before it constitutes a spoiler, so I like to err on the side of caution.
As for Cole being the origin, I didn't actually realize it was still in the realm of "possibility" I thought it was confirmed the moment Cole got his paradoxal headache when looking at it - the same headache he got when looking at other past versions of himself.
As for the 12 messengers, I'm not entirely sure how they would fit into the theory. The obvious answer is that they have aligned the timeline with how they need it to be and therefore felt it was time to step in and make sure Jones didn't use it again but then again, that goal would have been much easier if they simply let her blow it up. Maybe they still need the machine, but they don't want her using it, or at the very least they don't want her sending Whitley back and stepped in purely because taking Cole's mission upon himself was his plan. They could have also needed the machine intact purely because of their need for Railly to be in the past to leave her message and they knew she would be put in the machine and sent there - without the machine to receive her, she would have been lost in time. Sure it looked like they were surprised when she showed up, but I find it impossible to believe that surprise was genuine. The 12 Monkeys knew she was going to get shot and sent to the future and even intended for it - that is why they strangely assigned the security detail to Ramse even though they believed he would get shot and killed. The security detail was intentionally pointless in his protection, but it did succeed in harming Railly and causing her to be sent to the future - that had to be the point.
More +
Jan 11, 2016
Was there a scene where we see him cross his timeline when he gets one of those headaches, so then it's like, oh no wait maybe he's not the origin? I can't remember now. But even, if that was the case, I think it's misdirection and that your theory is correct. He's the one who's sent back to become the origin. I don't know how, probably by the blue future people.

I can't wait to find out.
Oct 22, 2015
I have been called out more than once for giving spoilers on TV.com, but I think if it's your original theory (albeit based on logic and evidence), then it's not a spoiler.

About Cole, yes, it seems pretty clear that he is the origin, but based on what we know from the show at this point, they do not have the technology to go back that far. Of course, your ideas make sense. I also thought the 12 were arriving in 2043 from the distant future, but most others I've discussed with seem to think they are in the current timeline (if that makes sense)--that they are 28 years old (from their birth in 2015) when they arrive at Project Splinter.

I'm still thinking about Cassie. I'm not sure it was her fate to go to 2043 but you make good points about it. I have a hard time analyzing the time travel stuff and remembering all of the details!

Thanks for your reply. If you ever want to join our group, I will give you the information. That is, if you are really into the show. However, I do not want to create a conflict of interest with this site. I do both tv.com and the other group but that's just me.
More +
Oct 22, 2015
@Giant2005, I'm sending the message to your inbox. I think you will like our group, especially when the new season starts up. It really rocks!
Oct 22, 2015
Send me the details! TV.com isn't really a good place for discussion - the review pages are the only place where people communicate with one another now that the forums seem to be going unused, and those review pages quickly disappear into obscurity, never to be seen by anyone. I am actually pretty surprised you found my theory here - I just wanted it recorded for posterity, I never expected anyone to actually see it.
Regarding the messengers, there is no reason they couldn't be both evolved humans from the distant future as well as the babies in 2015 - as far as I know there aren't any rules against sending babies back in time. Or they could have been born in 2015, but born to evolved humans that originated in the distant future. Considering the mysteries regarding the parentage of some of the main characters and their connections to the Monkeys, it makes sense that the Monkeys (And in my theory, future humans) are breeding for purpose in an almost eugenics-like sort of plot.
Oct 11, 2015
April '16 is far too long to wait for 12 Monkeys to mess me up.
Oct 10, 2015
April 2016? Why so late? last time It was out in January, Anyway great show and going by the trailer we can expect a classy season 2 too. Didn't see Aaron though. Wondering what Scyfy's got to offer till 12 Monkeys? Summer was great but for fall it's been only Z Nation.
Oct 10, 2015
They have some big shows lined up: "Childhood's End" and "The Expanse" both premiering on December 14.
Oct 13, 2015
Thanx for the info
Oct 10, 2015
6 months? Why even put out a trailer this soon?
Oct 09, 2015
Oh how I love this show. I'm totally going to have to rewatch the first season, i think I've already forgotten half of the crazy shit that happened :D
Oct 09, 2015
Strange things afoot at the Circle K...

She's not that bad.

Funny!
Oct 09, 2015
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"
hihihi

... but April 2016 is so far away ...
Is this a joke ??
Why are all the good shows returning next year ? Or all the shows I watch anyway ? There's a conspiracy, I'm sure of it !
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2016/04, are they out of their minds!?!
Oct 09, 2015
April 2016? They sure are teasing us months ahead. Personally I think six months of foreplay is a little excessive.
2016?!?! Why do we have to wait over a year for this to return?! **tears**
Oct 09, 2015
Robert Timmins, we meet again.
Oct 09, 2015
I am beyond excited for season 2! This show is excellent--it looks beautiful, is mind-boggling, full of twists & suspense, and unexpectedly funny and poignant! April 2016 cannot come soon enough, but I recommend anyone who hasn't watched the first season to catch up ASAP!
Oct 09, 2015
Nice ! , i can't wait untill april !
Oct 09, 2015
Oh, yeah, that's a crazy trailer. People and places and times we haven't even seen yet. But it's great to see all the familiar faces. (Hi, Jennifer.)

I expect The Sci-Fi Channel will re-air the series late this coming winter. I think even the people who watched and didn't get lost might want/need that.
Oct 09, 2015
Seems like this may be the last season. Great show, but the trailer really makes no sense. To long to wait... I wish I was a time traveller.
Oct 09, 2015
I think it could go 3 seasons. I believe they are still filming season 2 (or just finished filming) so that could be the reason the trailer isn't completely coherent yet. I know they were in Budapest in September filming the season 2 premier. Now they are back in Toronto but not sure if filming has wrapped.
So excited for Season 2! Having to wait until April is torture. :(
Oct 09, 2015
Why is April SO far away?! I can't wait to see Cassie and Cole again.
jmw
Oct 09, 2015
Not for time travelling monkeys like me ! Just got back from 2016 and trust me season 2 is even better than the first. I could leak the premiere but it wouldn't be fair to you guys, so patient and respectful of the laws of physics. Stuck in the present aren't we ? See you in April human fools !! :P
Oct 09, 2015
hahah that was so funny thx for the lols
Oct 09, 2015
You mean "The Witness" not "The Traveler"? Wrong time travel show ;)
Oct 09, 2015
Jose was "The Witness". "The Traveler" is the Hobo from The Red Forest.
Oct 10, 2015
Nope. Ramse revealed in the season finale that he was not The Witness after all. The Traveler is the guy from another time travel show, Continuum.
Oct 09, 2015
We don't know who or what is The Witness yet. But according to Terry Matalas, season 2 will focus heavily on the Red Forest and The Witness.