2 Broke Girls: CBS' Next Naughty Hit

Within the first few seconds of 2 Broke Girls, down-and-out waitress Max (Kat Dennings) ordered the restaurant's line cook (and the audience) to stop looking at her breasts, thus taking away most of the enjoyment I got out of the show. And this despite the wonderful boob valley her uniform creates and the fact that Dennings has already bared her coconuts as part of the "Young Starlets Taking Self Nudes That Get Leaked on the Internet" program that technology has blessed us with! I don't usually begin sitcom reviews by discussing boobies, but this time I just couldn't help it, because 2 Broke Girls is built on low-hanging naughty humor shipped direct from In-the-Gutter Farms.

Shortly after Dennings' ta-tas made their grand entrance, a slutty Russian waitress get Stolichnaya'd in her Troika in the walk-in cooler and someone made an "I hope that's clam chowder" semen joke. Oh, and of course there was the opening clip, with its reference to Max's vagina going dry. I can't say the same for the humor, which is anything but subtle. If the food at this restaurant is anything like 2 Broke Girls' jokes, patrons will be picking little black curlies out of their teeth all night. Creator Whitney Cummings, who in real-life says "vagina" every other word in her stand-up, has put her tramp stamp all over 2 Broke Girls with lazy sex jokes that share a vein with Two and a Half Men.

There's also a fair amount of unfunny racist humor, courtesy of the Asian restaurant owner whose accent is thicker than the chili, a horny Eastern European cook, and poor Garret Morris, who was one of the first African-American cast members on Saturday Night Live but appears here as an embarrassing caricature of an old-timey black man. I know 2 Broke Grils is set in the cultural wonderland that is New York, but sheesh.

That's not to say all the humor is a bad thing, especially for business. CBS, the most formulaic network in the industry, isn't exactly a risk-taker, and the numbers don't lie. By serving easily digestible fare that isn't too complicated, CBS routinely mops the floor with its competitors when it comes to overall viewers. The network's problem is that audience skews old, and 2 Broke Girls is an attempt to grab eyeballs that aren't plagued by cataracts.

CBS clearly hopes 2 Broke Girls will become the female version of The Big Bang Theory—a hit multi-camera comedy that targets young 'uns—and it very well could be, thanks to its likable leads. Dennings and Beth Behrs (as socialite heiress Caroline, who's newly broke because her dad was indicted on Ponzi scheme charges) work well together and have enough charm to handle the hammy jokes and awkward cuts.

One thing the show definitely has going for it is a clear sense of the future. It's easy to imagine tuning in each week and watching the relationship between Max and Caroline evolve through entertaining ups and downs (they fall for the same guy! They compete with each other for raises! They take down a rival cupcake maker!). As underdogs, they're easy to root for.

Besides, 2 Broke Girls isn't even close to being the worst new comedy of the year, and if you compare the show to its peers, it probably sits somewhere in the middle. True, it doesn't even try to stretch the boundaries of comedy—just the age range of CBS' audience. But given that it can take advantage of this year's weak crop and is tethered to Two and a Half Men, the show will probably become a big hit... just not in my house.

P.S. Coldplay is NOT a hipster band.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Sep 24, 2011
This show is waaay funnier then the pathetic unwatched 30rock!
Sep 23, 2011
I stick this out to find out which one does the horse first.
Sep 22, 2011
Hipster, not hipster, whatever. It's two sluts with unbelievably foul speech who waitress. Too predictable, and having to hear about the status of Kat Dennings vagina made me want to throw up.

Take this off the air please.
Sep 22, 2011
The first episode wasn't too bad. The actors clearly have not found their characters yet and the writers haven't found their voices. It usually takes 3 or 4 episodes to round off the rough edges; sometimes an entire season. Go back and watch the first 1 or 2 episodes of most sitcoms. Some are incredibly cringe-worthy. So, I'll cut 'em some slack.

The true test (for me. YMMV) is if it's even remotely interesting after 3 episodes.

That being said, the raunch-factor had me checking to see if I hadn't accidentally switched to FOX. It is more in line with their level of taste (-lessness).
Sep 23, 2011
For example Roseanne, her voice was so forced in the first season I can't believe the show made it.
Sep 22, 2011
i got the same awkward reaction to the show i thot tht i was the weird one tho cuz im a lil bhnd on the primetme tv scene so i thot this whr tv was goin these days. and like u say it will probly come out even with its sister (or brother) shows. same humor same simple ppl tht get off on it!
Sep 22, 2011
another terrible sitcom - bringing nothing new or funny to the table
Sep 22, 2011
i thought it was funny, but yes pretty dirty. the only two shows on CBS that are any good are HIMYM and Mike & Molly.. funny that the two shows that 2BG is compared to in this article are two of the shows I can't stand the most, and not just on CBS lol i'm not going to give a full opinion on it though, it was only the pilot. shows can go on to be real good later on, so we'll have to see
Sep 21, 2011
Rubbish. Kat Dennings and the other one do have good chemistry and that on top of the Two and a Half Men lead-in will keep this crap on the air. Considering how many shows have a bad pilot I'll be giving this a couple more episodes to see if it improves (which is more than I can say for the truely awful Whitney), but I doubt I'll be watching more than that - I don't expect it to improve. How to be a Gentleman, Man-up and Last Man Standing will all be worse, Whitney IS worse, Free Agents won't pick up an audience, New Girl won't be as good without Damon Waynes Jr. and Up All Night shot its self in the foot by changing Rupolphs' character. So what does that leave us? Community, The Big Bang Theory and Cougar Town (or whatever they call it now). Sound familiar?
wiill giv it a go
Sep 21, 2011
"CBS clearly hopes 2 Broke Girls will become the female version of The Big Bang Theory" Gosh, I hope not. I love The Big Bang Theory and as a woman, born and raised in NY, I find the dialogue to be on the raunchy side. I've seen Whitney Cummings on Chelsea and you can soooo tell the dialogue is all her, she isn't exactly my favorite comedic guest on that show... There were a few funny moments and I think it's actually more funny than the show Whitney, so I will give it a chance. The only thing I liked about the pilot was the end when they showed how much money they raised towards the 250K the need to open the cupcake shop they want. So yeah, I'll give it 1 more chance.
Sep 21, 2011
It was decent start, but just okay to me. However, this is just the beginning of their "relationship", so there is a definite upside to seeing it grow into something more.
Sep 21, 2011
ANOTHER STUPID SITCOM! YAH THATS WHAT WE NEED! :( This was NOT FUNNY! What was with the Coldplay bashing? I am not really into their music but, there is no place to be putting someones talents down.
Sep 23, 2011
They aren't the first to bash Coldplay....Ever see The 40 Year Old Virgin??
Terrible, terrible show.
Sep 21, 2011
I did not get this show at all. Was there any jokes? Are these characters supposed to be likeable? Dropped by the time I realized that there are easier ways to see Kat Dennings boobs without having to hear her tell me not to look. Unfunny drivel that I will not give a second chance to ever.
Sep 21, 2011
I watched the pilot just for Kat Dennings and I'll continue to watch the show for the same reason. I've had a crush on her since the short-lived show "Raising Dad"
Sep 21, 2011
Coldplay is a crappy hipster band for sure.

I'm starting to wonder why I read anything Tim writes. All you do is hack on 90% of everything out there. You must live a miserable life.
Sep 21, 2011
Or maybe it's just that 90% of everything out there is, indeed, pure crap? What I find funny (or sad, depending on how you look at it) is how many people get all bent out of shape because some guy on a website happens to dislike the shows or people they like. Seems like they somehow value his opinion more than their own or insist that everybody agree with them... Now that's what I call a miserable life.
Sep 21, 2011
I was on board until you defended Coldplay. For this, sir, I'm giving 2 Broke Girls another shot.

I hope you're happy.
Sep 21, 2011
Hate to say it Tim, but I think you are right!! I didn't care for it as much though. 2 broke girls can do better in the unemployment line than the dank kitchen or thoroughly stained "living" room of a closet NY apartment. Hike the humour up above the thighs, and aim for the cerebellum please!!
Sep 21, 2011
I generally like anything Kat Dennings is in :)
Sep 21, 2011
To be honest, I thought it was fine. Sure, there's better comedy on TV, but it still wasn't as bad as, say, Whitney.

Definitely not going to be the first of the five.
Sep 21, 2011
Did not like this show. Maybe it's just because I'm really hard to impress when it comes to sitcoms... I don't know. Won't be watching again.
Sep 21, 2011
I actually enjoyed this. Its fun to see to girls talking straight, even for the purpose of humor. What? do you think girls in the world dont talk like this? that girls are always displaying high-class-toned comments? Its stupid. What's the difference with 2&1/2 men for example? That guys are saying the lines? Please, this is how it goes nowadays.
Sep 21, 2011
I loved this show, I hope it has staying power!
Sep 21, 2011
Ehhhhh it wasn't very good until the second half of the show. I see improvement coming though. It looks funnier than Whitney.
Sep 21, 2011
And Coldplay IS a hipster band.
Sep 21, 2011
I liked the show a lot. I didn't find it offensive at all. If Garret Morris had thought it was racially demeaning, surely he wouldn't have played the part. It's FUNNY and we all can use a little funny nowadays. If YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT then don't tune it the next episode. People still watch those crap reality shows and how much 'bleeping' goes on on those shows? Have you seen some of the CARTOONS now? People, get a grip! If you don't like it, no one's forcing you to watch.
Sep 21, 2011
i agree with max666max666. And what else is on at that time anyway - DWTS ( i would rather bash my skull in with a claw hammer )

This show has a lot of comparable shows - archer, mike and molly spring straight to mind.

Its better than two and a half men, hot in Cleveland and a lot of other shows.

For all the people giving the negative reviews, do me a favor - tell us what you watched instead
Sep 21, 2011
Better than "Hot in Cleveland"? Are you serious?
Sep 21, 2011
It was a very average show. But it was still far better than I thought it would be. There were a few quite sharp jokes which actually did work. I expected the show to be utter rubbish, despite Kat's and Beth's hotness. All in all it was average acting, average jokes and average creativity. I guess people will still watch it, though. Apparently these low-creativity humour sitcoms work. People can turn their brains off for 20 minutes and laugh with the laugh track. Oh, that laugh track made me angry! Why do they still have to patronize the audience by using an audio cue to tell us when to laugh? Without the laugh track the show would have been infinitely better. Every time the laugh track played, it made me cringe. I wanted to yell to the producers to let me use my own brain to react to the show and decide if the jokes are funny or not.
Sep 21, 2011
What a terrible show. Not appealing to a younger mass audience in the slightest. The writing certainly isn't cleverly raunchy, and Kat Dennings isn't eminently likeable at all. It will surely be cancelled within weeks, so anyone arbitrarily picking random new shows that will most likely be cancelled, should definitely pick this one. This show will not become a big hit. Don't listen to Tim, he's just trying to trick you, something I would never conscionably do.
Sep 21, 2011
WOW! I guess i am the only one here who love it. I thought this show was pretty funny & entertaining. I am going to look forward to watching it each week along with How I Met your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Community, Archer, Its always Sunny, etc. etc. I just name those shows because I love them & to show you guys that I don't have crappy taste. I don't like Two and a Half Men & Whitney. I know crap when i see it and 2 Broke Girls is not crap. To those who hate it, thats fine. I like it and that is all that matters to me. Haters can go Frak themselves.
Sep 21, 2011
What a horrid tv show. If that's comedy, then I prefer laugh watching Prison Break again.

Mocking racial, sexual and style stuffs is so lazy. I didn't like the first waitress. The blonde at least has the "I don't know what I'm doing, but at least I try" thing that I liked a little.

There's so few things that could possible redeem this show, that with 1 more episodes I'm gonna decide if continue to watch it.

ARCADE FIRE AND COLDPLAY ROCKS BY THE WAY!
Sep 21, 2011
I kinda liked it. It's noyt the best new show, but is far from being the worst, so i'll stick with it for a while
Sep 21, 2011
Won't be 1 of the first 5.
Sep 21, 2011
It is pathetic to see some talented actresses involved in this moronic, dirty and without redeeming quality show. In 20 minutes they manage to insult everyone, they even made a brilliant handicapped man a butt of their joke. Between loose sluts and complete lack of morality they try to shock everyone. They accomplished it. I will make a point to NEVER buy anything they advertise in that slot. I will record it just to see who advertizes. I hope they take it out before decency becomes a rarity.
Sep 21, 2011
I caught the first two minutes of this show when I turned on the TV waiting for Hawaii Five-O. That was four minutes too many.
Sep 21, 2011
I agree. Coldplay is awesome. I can't watch a show that bashes Coldplay. That's not why I won't be watching, though. I had to force myself to complete those 20 minutes... it's hard when you know exactly where every punchline and plot development is coming from.
Sep 21, 2011
I agree. I was way ahead of the jokes in this show, which is sad for a comedy. I read one review that called the show "Witty". Either I misunderstand the meaning of the word(I don't) or what passes as witty these days is sad.
Sep 21, 2011
boy am i sick of critics who only like boring single camera crap shows. We americans love comedy which is actually comedy. Not a show were u watch it and think, ok was this ment to be funny?

I mean look back to the 90s were alot of comedies were based on stand up routines, the shows were hilarious and are still more watched than other critics loved shows. And u wanna know why they are funny, because they were like stand up comedy, Joke after joke after joke, made to make an audience laughs, if u have a single camera show which doesn't have an audience in the studio, u don't need to be funny.

CBS has the best comedies airing today. The big bang theory extremly funny, once u unclench u may get the jokes. If u want democratic, liberal supporting jokes, go watch morning joe or 30 rock. when i watch comedy i want easy, just funny jokes. because this is what comedy is for, giving out laughs.
Sep 21, 2011
Wow! You pegged the American stereotype bang on! You like laugh tracks and can't spell or punctuate properly. *round of applause*
Sep 21, 2011
You summarized my thoughts in two sentences. I'm giving you a round of applause. How someone can proudly declare their love for comedy that doesn't make you think is beyond me. That's the difference between intelligent and less-than-intelligent comedy. The first is the kind where you have to get references to culture, art, history and popular events. You have to understand word plays and sarcasm. If you have a developed sense of humour you get it. If you don't then, well, you don't. The second group is the kind in which you can write whatever comes to mind and then inform the audience when to laugh using a laugh track.

And I have to disagree with what Kevinnbc says about TBBT: "extremly funny, once u unclench u may get the jokes". It's not that the jokes on TBBT are hard to understand. It's the opposite. They are too easy to understand. They are at a such a simple level that I have to facepalm myself and cry a little every time they make a pathetic attempt at a joke. A sitcom about nerds is in principle a good idea. It could create really sharp humour based around science, computer technology and gaming. What TBBT has done is a show which revolves around those topics, but needs to appeal to a large audience. But a large audience doesn't really know anything about those topics. So all the jokes they make never really push the limit. They are watered down versions of sharp nerd jokes. The jokes lose a part of the nerd factor when they are toned down so that the general audience would understand them too. You can see it well on TBBT, when they actually sometimes explain jokes. They say a joke which actually can be considered smart humour. You just need to get the reference (something that a nerd would do). But because most in the audience are not nerds, the next few lines are devoted to explaining the point of the joke. And I'm sitting at home yelling at the screen: "Don't explain the joke, don't explain it! You're ruining the moment!" *Facepalm*. The case of TBBT it's just sloppy writing covered with a laugh track that turns the audience into Pavlov's laughing drones. The jokes on TBBT are predictable, you can see them coming a mile away, and they are usually the safest choice of many possible jokes one can make in a situation.

I also disagree with Kevinnbc's comment that single camera shows without an audience don't need to be funny. Again, it's the opposite. A live audience is told to laugh using signs. Then the laugh track tells the audience at home when to laugh. In that case you don't have to be funny. Whatever the material the show has, it is informing the audience when something is supposed to be funny. Not so without a laugh track. Without a laugh track you actually have to write good material, because the viewers actually have to get the joke! I think that's the reward of watching smart comedy, that you have to"get it". Watching easy comedy is like an adult needing training wheels on his bike.
More +
Sep 21, 2011
Well, in a twisted turn of events, I was watching THIS show and thinking "OK, was this meant to be funny?".