2011 Emmys Wishlist: Nominate Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage

I've kept a close eye on Peter Dinklage ever since he played a diminutive hitman in the underrated indie comedy Safe Men (if you've never seen it, rent it). But finding roles for Dinklage is simultaneously easy and challenging. Dinklage was born with a condition called Achondroplasia, which causes dwarfism—so whenever a script calls for a little person, an elf, or anyone else who's only as tall as a nightstand, Dinklage usually ends up on the casting agent's shortlist. For every other role, things aren't so simple.

Aside from 2003's The Station Agent, for which Dinklage was showered with praise as the star, roles written for little people are few, far between, and often one-dimensional. That's why, when HBO first announced its plans to adapt Game of Thrones for TV, Dinklage came up as a must-have for the role of Tyrion Lannister.

Tyrion isn't a dwarf—he's an intelligent, cunning, and humorous member of royal nobility who just so happens to be a dwarf. Big difference. Game of Thrones is bringing many actors into the public eye for the first time, but the first name to roll off everyone's tongue is Dinklage's, because he's satisfied newbies and Game of Thrones superfans alike with his depth, charm, and command of the screen.

Dinklage belongs in the running for Best Supporting Actor nominations this year, but if he's going to make a splash, he'll have to overcome new prejudice, one that's not related to his size: He also faces the challenge of being a sci-fi/fantasy actor.

Since 2000 (let's say that's the year sci-fi started to be considered "cool"), only two actors from sci-fi/fantasy shows have won a Lead or Supporting Emmy: Terry O'Quinn (2007) and Michael Emerson (2009). Both men won for their supporting roles on Lost, a spectacle that transcended its genre and still had a difficult time going mainstream. But that show was contemporary and didn't involve characters in full doublets, drawing swords, and talking about dragons.

After years of doubting that Emmy voters will ever consider anything that might be deemed "nerdy," I think this is the year things could change. And it all starts with Dinklage. It doesn't matter whether someone is playing a 1960s ad man or a dwarf who loves whores—he's still acting. Dinklage has faced one of the most challenging tasks of the year so far—turning a little person into a formidable foe in a world dominated by brute strength and fear—and he's nailed it without blinking an eye. That's an acting job that deserves recognition.

My favorite Tyrion scene so far is from Game of Thrones' third episode, when Tyrion and Jon Snow got to know each other by the campfire; I think Dinklage simply owned that scene. But Tyrion's most memorable moment so far is the one in the video below, when Tyrion punked Lysa's court.

If we hear Dinklage's name when the 2011 Emmy nominations are announced on July 14, it will signal a big step toward focusing on an actor's performance instead of the program he's performing in. And if he wins, it will be even better.

Do you think Peter Dinklage will earn an Emmy nomination this year? If not, why?

More Emmys Wishlist

Ellie Kemper, The Office for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Margo Martindale, Justified for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom
Peter Dinklage owned that 2011 Emmy Outstanding Supporting Actor award the moment he said YES to play as Tyrion Lannister!!!! Way to go Peter!!!!
Point of contention: Remember the X Files? 9-season show that premiered in 1994, won Emmys every year it aired? I think we could consider that the beginning of when sci-fi began to be cool. So anyway: I've read some comments about how Peter Dinklage sometimes appears to be wooden or too dry, or overacting. Thing is, that is exactly how Tyrion Lannister acts in the books. In any case, I think Dinklage absolutely immortalizes the role. I grant that there aren't a whole lot of little people who act in the first place, much less would make the short list of a prominent series. But Tyrion is a character who is witty, complex, capable of a sensitivity to others and a humanity that the rest of his family apparently avoids at all costs, and capable of stunning cruelty as well. Tyrion is really the best of the entire Lannister nobility, but given enough cause, he is by far the worst of them as well. Dinklage has the ability to bring all of this to the screen, and it's going to be amazing to watch him.
peter dinklage is an amazing actor, and the way he played tyrion was great. he deff deserves an nomination and hopefully a win.
The only reason I started watching Game of Thrones is because someone told me it was a great series. I took a chance and stumbled upon a scene with Dinklage in it. I remembered him from the movie about a man who inherited an abandoned railroad station and was completely captivated by his persona and acting ability. This part in the Martin series was MADE for Dinklage and he does not disappoint!!!

After seeing the first installment with Dinklage in the part of Tyrion I went and ordered the entire series of books from Amazon and I haven't stopped reading yet.

I waited until I had finished the first book to watch the taped segments of the HBO series and I was amazed at the true to form content of the books verses the TV series. Kudos to HBO, George R. R. Martin and especially Peter Dinklage for giving me hours of entertainment these last few months and, thankfully, for many more to come in the next few years. ED doesn't stand for erectile dysfunction, it stands for ...Emmy to Dinklage.
If he doesn't get it, there is definately something wrong with the voters!! He deserves it most of all!! I watched the show just to see him!! The rest of the cast was bland!!
I think he has earned a nomination and I will be pleased if he wins. He is Tyrion brought to life from the books to the television set. Anyone who can do that, deserves a win in my book.
Awards ++;
Amen to that.
I could not agree more with this article. The truth is that prejudice is a building block of this world. Things that should be accepted are many times not, and things that should not are too easily accepted, but the fact remains that an Emmy nomination should be given to someone whose acting was great, and no one can say that Dinklage's was not great. He truly deserves a nomination and in my opinion a win too. One of the best characters/acting of all time I think...
for me... i strongly believe in something called.... "in the characters shoes"... name one other actor who could do a better job than him in this role.. and i'll happily accept he's not worthy of a nomination let alone winning it.

an actor's greatest attribute is making the character his/her own...and making it impossible for anyone else to fill it!

so for me, he truly deserves a nom and a win too.
@ekim726 No need to jump on me like that and make assumptions. I form my own opinions, and what the majority think or doesn't think have nothing to do with that. Flawed logic on your part, indeed. Clearly I'm not alone either, but even if I was; the more a difference of opinion is met with a 'how dare you not agree with everyone else (you must be a troll)' kind of response, the more important it is to express it.
I'd love to see him get the nomination, the win is Slattery's though.
Dinklage is doing an amazing job, without a doubt, and has made his character probably the best in the show.
Great article. We need more hype in order to normalize the stakes. As mentioned, he is dragged down by the genre he plays and by his condition. His ability on the other hand deserves a giant's praise.
It would be a crime if he was not even nominated.
I really hope he not only gets the nomination but the award, it'd certainly be most deserved!
ksaffy dislikes dwarfs...
Dinklage definitely deserves it! Tyrion's the only Lannister that I like. I hope the rest of them die!
I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones before I started reading the books and Tyrion was one of my favorite characters (and continued to be), then I couldn't resist and dove into the books and having Dinkelage face & acting to go along with the book made it that much better.
I've not really followed his work, but based on his performance in Game of Thrones, he definitely needs work on his anglo accent. It started off a tad too 'marbles in the mouth'; he'd obviously taken an upper middle class English accent and furthered it to the point it didn't sound real. However, it regressed as the programme continued and now it sounds more like a parody. Surely elocution in terms of delivery are important features of the acting role? I realise the setting is not England, but with a majority English cast and mainly regional Anglo accents, I'm assuming that's what the intention was.

I also think that he comes over a bit wooden sometimes, lacking in passion and a bit dry. Personally, I think there are far superior actors in this very strong cast who are more deserving of a nomination.
Most definitely! He's great! Best character in the show.
Dude.....seriously. You have been keeping an eye on him eh? Yet somehow you forgot to mention his outstanding turn in Threshold?
No doubt he deserves the prize not just a nomination ,Tyrion is the most interesting character in the show
I agree with wildandcrazygal. I also thought that Dinkelage is overacting a little. He leaves the impression of beeing really good at acting, but that is the exact Problem, you always fell that he is acting. But when i see Jorah I can really see Jorah, and not an actor playing Jorah, and the same with Sansa, but in her case i sometimes think that maybee Sophie Turner does not have to act, but might more or less play herself, because it comes so naturally.
Peter Dinklage is absolutely fantastic on Game of Thrones. Admittedly, he is a well-written character, but Dinklage nails every line and steals every scene. When Sean Bean was executed, I was pretty shocked, but the first way I reconciled it was "better him than Tyrion." Haven't seen S4 of Damages yet (notorious for outstanding supporting guest stars), but right now Dinkage definitely deserves the Emmy.
Lol, well I respect your opinion DrXabregas, but I most certainly can put them in the same category because for me, I find their performances just as enjoyable. That's the amazing thing about us as people, we can all watch the same show and get completely different things from it. As for the girls, I didn't forget them, they just didn't move me in the same way the three men I mentioned did. I will agree that Arya is the most interesting female character, but again, for me, it all seems a bit forced, but that's just my opinion.
@wildandcrazygal i have to agree when u talk about dinklage performance, but u can`t put Ian glenn and Nickolaj Coster-Wladau in the same category as Sean Bean. And i think u miss the actresses. It`s riveting too when Arya is on screen, she`s the most credible actress on the show alongside Michelle Fairley. All the others can`t separate cinema from theater...

Lena Headley disapointed me, she just can`t play a bad girl. I can`t believe one word she says. Orelse she`s really the good girl and it`s pretending not to be, if thats the case she needs an emmy, but i don`t think so...
I have to admit I agree that the fantasy genre in particular gets overlooked and treated as if it's not legitimate by the awards systems in place. But I have to say I'm not seeing what you see in Dinklage's performance. In fact, like most of the cast of this show, I think he suffers from a bit of overacting. Every line he utters rings like he's blatantly trying to be the centre of attention, like a street performer desperately trying to gather the largest possible crowd around him to increase the possibility of more coins in the hat and to me, that doesn't constitute great acting. It may be great showmanship, but great acting and great showmanship are not one and the same. For me the true gems of the show have been Sean Bean (Ned Stark), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont) and Nickolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister). Their performances especially in the case of Bean and Glen aren't showy. Every moment they're on screen is riveting though. They command our attention without us even realizing it and to me, THAT, is a good actor. I think any of these three men deserves to be on a list way ahead of Peter Dinklage come awards season. I don't think Dinklage has any prejudice to overcome, I simply just don't think his acting is on par with a lot of the actors on his show, let alone on others. That being said, when it comes to the show, I think it's one of the best shows to come along in a very long time. Every week surprises and shocks you and leaves you wondering what in the world is going to happen next. It's been a very long time since there has truly been "edge of your seat" television, so all hail the arrival of "Game Of Thrones", may it be around to entertain us for many seasons to come.
one thing we need to agree, this show wouldn`t be the same without sean bean and his daughter arya, so them both need an emmy nomination. The others didn`t make the show by themselves, and it`s a bunch of great performances in other shows, like breaking bad, speaking of Dean Norris, who i believe that deserves the emmy rightaway. And i can name others more worthy than peter Dinklage, who i believe it`s a great actor, but not for GOT. Put him on The Big bang theory and than he will be awesome, now in a intense show like GOT, nominate the most comic character is a downlow...

In his category, he has to many competition like:

Dean Norris (Breaking Bad), Joel Kinnaman (The Killing), Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Walton Goggins (Justified), Jeremy Davies (Justified), Colm Feore (The Borgias)

not forgetting the usual nominated... ^^
I think he deserves an Emmy. He's one of my favorite characters on the show Game of Thrones.
Well, we all know why you titles this article "wishlist". I sincerely hope he gets at least nominated. It's just that the Emmys are often stuck with the nominees & winners from previous years so there is no room for anything/anyone new.
I agree that Peter Dinklage deservs a Emmy nomination. He is developing his character from GoT beyond the book's borders. I'm currently reading George RR Martin books and cannot imagine a better impersonation of Tyrion Lannister.
Ill go ahead and say I didnt read anything but the title of this post.. I wanted to just come and reply. I completely agree. There were only two characters that I care about on this show and one is now dead. Peter Dinklage makes this show what it is. With out him, it would still be a good show, but it wouldn't be an amazing show.
Well i consider Emmy (and most of the big award shows) a joke just because of the reason you mentioned about sci-fi/fantasy and their actors getting shafted all the time.

And i have no belief the Emmy can be taken serious this year either, aka no nomination for Peter Dinklage.

But he sure as hell deserves to win some awards for the fantastic acting he has done in Game of Thrones, thats for sure.
Emilia Clarke is a big surprise she is amazing she should win ,and i didnt like her char in the books ,but on screen shes great, next dinklages,bean ,and then the jaimy actor forgot the name
Zamwyn are you insane? You must be one of those people who just goes against the majority no matter the situation because you just contradicted every thing that people think is good with television and the way you say it seems to only want to incite controversy and disagree with everyone else. Anyway I think he has done a great job with the role, when I first saw him on the show I disliked his character very much, but as they started to let you get to know him and understand what they were trying to do with him I couldn't love his performance any more then I did. He was amazing and drew me right in. He is easy to love but also easy to hate since he is a Lannister and that is what makes his performance so wonderful.
I agree, I love his acting.
Gold,women...Golden women? :D Best line delivery EVER !
stupify_me who is sean pean?...cause I know the B and P are nowhere near eachother
I've read the article,and couldn't agree more.This guy IS Tyrion Lannister.Smug,egocentryc,sarcastic...I'm currently reading "Clash of Kings",and every time I read about Tyrion,I have this guy's picture in my head,as if it's really happening...So bring it on,I'll sign any petition you want,give this guy an Emmy!
I don't know if he'll earn one or not - people can be fickle and actors more than most, but he most certainly *deserves* one, and i hope that he gets at the very least a nomination. I personally would be very pleased to see him get a win, and I will be sorely disappointed if he doesn't show up on the people's choice awards.
A lot of the names being thrown around for emmys for this show are shocking to me. Sean Pean as well as Peter Dinklage both deserve the nom, but IMO no one else on the show does. No one on the show is bad really, but no one other than those two stands out as great. I'm especially shocked at the suggestion of Maisie Williams who hardly acts on the show out side of making a pissy face. Hardly an dialogue her only job on the show so far is to get up set and swing a wooden sword. How does that qualify as an Emmy? Should we also nominate the Throne for one?
I also think he so much deserves it and my eyes open more whenever he appears on the screen. He's done the act perfectly, and it would be strange if he weren't on most people favorite list at the moment.
Its gonna be Joel Kinnaman "The Killing" v. Walton Goggins "Justified" in the Best Supp. Actor category IMO. John Noble deserves a seat, he has earned one and would really like to see Dinklage on the list as well as Michael Raymond James to show F/X they really s$it the bed canceling "Terriers". It would be really nice if James, Donal Logue, or Laura Allen could scare up acting nominations because that cast, Kimberly Quinn and Rockmond Dunbar included, was the tightest ensemble of any on television last year. If Dinklage is in the running, his "sister" Lena Headey is just as deserving of a seat at the supp. actress table. She's made what could have been a one note bit#h of a character into something much more nuanced. Her conversations with the boys, Sean Bean and Mark Addy have been wonderful as well as her conversation with Michelle Fairley "Catelyn" at Bran's bedside.
everyone in the show must nom to the Emmys,and Peter Dinklage totally deserve one.
I though this scene above was hilarious. Personally, I feel Dinklage's performance on GoT is the best one together with Maisie Williams'.
The Emmy needs to go to Sean Bean period
Imo, Tyrion is the most overrated character in the series. And as for Peter Dinklage, he might be great in other things he's been in, that I wouldn't know, but in this he is not. The accent is absolutely horrible, and combined with the boring character, I don't think he even comes close to being worthy of a nomination. I do agree John Noble should win, but as far as GoT goes, I'd say Sean Bean and Lena Heady should be nominated. I find the sries entertaining, but as with True Blood, is overhyped in a really obnoxious way. Oh well, I hope it at least paves the way for more fantasy shows.
Deserves a nomination for sure, but I agree with Dsizzle12 that John Noble should win it. I hope he even gets nominated. His work is just so incredible.
Peter Dinklage totally deserves an emmy and he's not the only one inside Game of Thrones cast. I hope that Maisie Williams and Sean Bean will get an emmy too.
Load More Comments