25 Bubble Shows: Which Ones Should Be Saved?

Is the case closed on Castle? Will Revenge be murdered? Will viewers follow The Following to its demise?

It's time for the broadcast networks to decide which shows to cut and which ones to bring back in the fall, and undoubtedly, some of your favorites are in jeopardy. But now's your chance to show some support!

Below, we've listed 25 shows that are in danger of getting the axe, as well as the pros and cons for keeping or killing each one of them. Once you've heard all our arguments, vote for which shows you think most deserve to be saved. Be sure to also tell us why in the comments!

About a Boy

Tuesdays at 9:30pm on NBC

THE GOOD NEWS: NBC has a soft spot for creator Jason Katims, whose shows Friday Night Lights and Parenthood defied the cancellation odds more than a few times. Also, NBC has basically no comedy brand right now and might want to hold on to a familiar show or two as it rebuilds.

THE BAD NEWS: About a Boy's second season is averaging just 3.5 million viewers and a 1.03 in the 18-to-49 demo, making it NBC's lowest-rated series that's yet to be canceled. (By comparison, it's down almost 50 percent in both measures from a year ago, when its post-The Voice timeslot made it NBC's highest-rated sitcom.) And given that NBC already trimmed two episodes from its order and star Minnie Driver isn't feeling particularly hopeful, the writing may be on the wall.

American Crime

Thursdays at 10pm on ABC

THE GOOD NEWS: ABC really wants American Crime to succeed, heavily promoting the show and slotting it in a coveted #TGIT berth. Since it's technically a limited series, ABC might just let it finish its run, but there is the possibility that the network could produce another season with a new story and call it an anthology. It has a stellar pedigree, thanks to stars Felicity Huffman and Timothy Hutton and, as the ads constantly remind us, 12 Years a Slave's Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley. After a 30 percent freefall in its second week, ratings have finally plateaued around 5.5 million and a 1.2.

THE BAD NEWS: Those numbers are well below what How to Get Away With Murder did in the same timeslot in the fall.

Backstrom

Thursdays at 9pm on Fox

THE GOOD NEWS: Creatively, the show is a nice companion for Fox stalwart Bones—which, like Backstrom, was created by Hart Hanson. And even though its modest audience (4.3 million, 1.12 in the 18-to-49 demo) is about half of what the show premiered to, its viewership has remained consistent.

THE BAD NEWS: It's Fox's lowest-rated drama series that's still on the air. The episodes of Backstrom that have aired since Bones returned and became its lead-in have been its lowest-rated yet.

Battle Creek

Sundays at 10pm on CBS

THE GOOD NEWS: This Vince Gilligan-David Shore collaboration has great behind-the-camera auspices, and series stars Josh Duhamel and Dean Winters make a compelling pair of non-buddy cops. Plus: It's a refreshingly different take on the police procedurals that dominate CBS's lineup.

THE BAD NEWS: It seems CBS's audience doesn't care for fresh takes. With a season average of 6.7 million viewers and a 0.8 in the 18-to-48 demo, Battle Creek is CBS's lowest-rated drama. Even with the star power attached, we don't expect the show to receive much mercy.

Castle

Mondays at 10pm on ABC

THE GOOD NEWS: The charming procedural is important to ABC, and we can't see the network giving it the axe without allowing the show to give its loyal fans a proper ending.

THE BAD NEWS: The show's seventh season seems to be losing creative steam... and its audience isn't far behind. The drama is down about 15 percent in both total viewers (8.5 million) and in the 18-to-49 demo (1.6) from its most-watched season a year ago. Perhaps most alarming, while star Nathan Fillion has signed on to return should the show be renewed for Season 8, Stana Katic and showrunner David Amann have not. Could Castle even exist without Kate Beckett?

NEXT: Constantine, Cristela, CSI, CSI: Cyber, and The Following

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

< 1 2 3 4 5
See Full Story
mysteries of laura and stalker are so good pleaseeeee dont end laure and please bring stalker back
if castle ends my life omg
May 13, 2015
I can't believe that castle is going to end and revenge please save those both shows they will great don't take them off don't in them make them come back in the fall
May 13, 2015
I can't believe I'm not gonna get to watch #Forever anymore... But ESPECIALLY #Backstrom!! My husband and I ASKED that show! The Following wouldn't be the same without Joe, so I figured it'd be a few season show anyway... But the other two?!? It's a shame.
May 09, 2015
I Really Wish That My Shows Would Be Renewed// "State Of Affairs" Really Good Show I Would Have Never Thought That I Would Have Liked It But Really Enjoy It //"Forever" Really Awesome Show I Truly Look Forward To Every Week //"Resurrection" This Show Really Surprised Me I Really Enjoy Watching
//"Cyber CSI" Now This Show Is Really Good & Definitely Keeps You On Your Toes I Love How Alot Of The Actors Now Use Their Special Skills To Be Good Guys // "Constantine" WOW This Show Is Totally Awesome One Of My Favorites I Personally Think One Of The Greatest Shows In A Very Longtime Good vs Evil I Can Honestly Say I Really Love This Show //"Stalker" This Is A Really Intense Show I Really Like This Show & I Believe This Shows Could Truly Help Real People , I Think That It Can Be A Really Helpful Show By Showing People That If They Are Being Stalked Having A Staker Is A Very Serious Situtation & Could Even Be Life Threatening //"Nightshift" Is A Show That I Also Really Like But For Alot Of Different Reason 1) I LOVED ER & This Show Is So Good That You Truly Care About Every Actor&Actress (2) Definitely Can Be Very Serious But Also Really Lighthearted& Funny (3) From The Very First Episode I Was Completely Hooked
May 09, 2015
Do I see Revenge on the list? They completely lost me this year. Hasn't Emily taken her revenge on everyone by now?
May 08, 2015
Damn you ABC! Damn you!!! RIP Forever 2014-2015. :(
May 09, 2015
I TOTALLY agree! One of my favorite shows. Loved the main actor too. Great characters and entertaining stories.
May 07, 2015
Castle, light and easy
Cosntantine, grew on me after a mediocre start ...
Forever, even though I despise the actor, I kind of like the show, if that means something
May 06, 2015
i really only care bout Forever. Probably one of the few shows i was impressed with this year considering i've stopped watching quite a few tried and true favorites because they've become either stale or lackluster. I kind of like Constantine but if it doesnt come back i won't be heartbroken. I absolutely love Hart of Dixie, but i can let it go peacefully with that finale. And i'm one of the people that defiitely thought Agent Carter was actually a little bit better than Shield so I'll be sad if that goes.
May 06, 2015
Also, POI, Gotham, NCIS.
May 05, 2015
Please save Castle! It's the BEST show on TV!!! Don't leave the fans hanging on a thread with a season finale that may or may not be the end of the series!!!
May 04, 2015
I dont understand why they say Hart of Dixie has a 'small following'. Everyone I know watches it! And we are all in that 18-49 age group or whatever it is people are after, It is the cutest show on TV. Maybe because we are in Australia it doesn't count... :( ... Please make it a summer series if you don't want to bring it for winter. It is so much fun to watch. put it on a sunday evening! :)
May 04, 2015
Love - Agent Carter, Nashville

Like - Backstrom, Castle, CSI Cyber, Forever, Secrets and Lies, Stalker

Lost interest - Battle Creek, CSI, Revenge

Never watched - The rest.... except

From some REALLY sick minds - The Following.
May 04, 2015
Forever is such an inspiring show, the actors all work really well together and series one as a whole has been written beautifully. It would be a shame to end such a successful and thrilling show.
May 09, 2015
Yes I can't believe they are cancelling it. Very poor decision from ABC.
May 03, 2015
I really do like Constantine. The storyline and characters have gotten very interesting. Its a shame how quickly they are ready to cancel a show. As for ppl meter, some of us in that demographic don't be home on a Friday night so we catch the episodes on our dvr or online sites. CSI Cyber is one I am now getting starting to watch. I missed the 1st and second episodes on tv but I caught it online. Please reconsider and renew these show.
May 02, 2015
Forever should definitely be saved. The characters fit together and there is no limit to the stories they can create for this series!! Just because it hasn't been able to compete within its time slot doesn't mean it's a loser. Until the networks reconfigure how they rate viewership, ratings mean squat. 18-48 y/o hardly watch network television via an actual television anymore.
Backstrom has come a long way, baby!! I'm really glad we stuck with it because after episode 3, character-building and foundation work exposed a great show with a lot of possibilities. It's not politically correct. It's honest. It's gritty. The cast has really made this work and it's worthy of another go!!!!
Battle Creek also deserves at least one more try. While the team doesn't fit together quite like Backstrom's, the series is fun and entertaining. Not your typical cop show, for sure.
May 02, 2015
I reeeeeaaally hope we get more Agent Carter and Battle Creek. The first I knew I would love, the second I thught I would try to watch and wound up loving. There's something about it... Maybe it reminded me of my residency in the first ep. :)
Other than that, if Castle and Forever continue, I will be happy.
Also, I hope Revenge gets an ending... I would endeavor to catch up just to see it, haha.
May 01, 2015
I personally want to see more of Galavant, one of my guilty pleasure.
The Following, Backstrom, Constantine and The Mindy Project are the ones I will save.
May 01, 2015
"Resurrection" is one of my favorites and is really starting to get very interesting. . .I hope it continues!
"The Following" is also a fav; but after the first two episodes of season 3 -- it has disappeared -- so, I'm hoping it re-appears soon!
May 01, 2015
Two of my favourites are Castle and Revenge. I am sick that Revenge is finishing. I absolutely loved it. The same goes for Castle.
Apr 30, 2015
Stalker was one of the best shows of the year as was Forever, CSI Cyber is getting better but doesn't compare to any other CSI. I know Scorpion isn't a bubble show but that thing got so ridiculous throughout the season
Apr 30, 2015
It seems Aquarius may already be cancelled. NBC will be releasing all 13 episodes online after the show's premiere.
Apr 29, 2015
ZAP2IT is reporting cancellation of Revenge today - maybe no news on Forever is good news?
Apr 29, 2015
Please, please, please let forever get a 2nd season!
Apr 29, 2015
My vote is for Forever, I love the characters as well as Battle Creek's characters!
Apr 28, 2015
Stalker is my favourite crime show ever. Maggie Q is phenomenal. I really hope CBS brings it back - at least in the summer if not as a regular show.
Apr 28, 2015
Survey's results are correct. I think Agent Carter should be renewed ! It's a very good and different show.

I also like what The Following is up to, but might be too late.

Altought Revenge is having a great season I think it's time the writers put a nice finale.
Apr 28, 2015
They r all my favorite shows its what happening in life today. Secrets and lies husband's cheating people with bipolar disorder.We have to help and work with these problems not sweep it under the rug.
They r all great shows nothing else good is on TV and we pay so much for it.
Apr 28, 2015
Since the new syndication level is 88 episodes (not 100) 3rd season shows will never be canceled. Renewing a show for a 3rd season is a defacto 4th season renewal. Which means Mindy Project and Nashville are safe (Nashville even more so since they have an alternate revenue stream with the music). You'd think the people writing articles like this would be aware of these kind of things.
Apr 28, 2015
American Crime Secrets and Lies Agent Carter are not good shows, they are fucking amazing shows and should be renewed
May 04, 2015
THIS is a family site.
YOU are an IDIOT...
May 09, 2015
Family site REALLY REALLY I don't think so!!! its quite obvious that u don't read many posts because trust me their is plenty of profanity!!!! and on that note I'm not going to stoop to your level!!!!! lets hope u know what that means Chickshateme
Apr 28, 2015
Save Forever and Castle!
May 09, 2015
I agree Forever was so good I couldn't believe they even thought of cancelling what I think is their best show in ages. Castle s good due to Nathan Fillion. If they replaced Kate Beckett I wouldn't care. Castle is Nathan.
Apr 27, 2015
Only one good show on the list - Secrets and Lies - and it is good, not great.
Apr 27, 2015
Forever! It is a fantastic, heart warming show! It's a bit of Sherlock mixed with immortality and family dynamics! A definite keeper, I'm glad it has a lot of votes! I need this one to stick around. Also....it definitely has to be around for a second season if the finale on May 5th ends in a cliffhanger! Yikes!
Apr 27, 2015
i love Backstrom! He does everything we wish we had the nerve to do. Also watch Forever, Castle, and Battle Creek with my adult son. I agree that Revenge has run its course.

May 09, 2015
I agree. Forever and Backstrom were worth continuing. Forever was my favorite. It was fun and inspiring with good characters. But I don't think they advertised Backstrom well. I had never heard of it until a friend recommended it, so didn't start until mid season. But once I watched it- I found it entertaining and enjoyable. I am sure many other people like me may have missed out due to the bad advertising. I am Very disappointed it is cancelled. I still find Revenge interesting, as I really enjoy the characters involved, and find they are still able to keep the plot twists entertaining. I still can't get enough of it.
Apr 27, 2015
Forever seems to be the favorite by a country mile - pretty close to "cult" status. They've done a pretty good job of gradually raising Jo's curiosity about Henry - given time it has the potential of a Lois Lane / Clark Kent dynamic with ever more elaborate machinations to preserve his secret...
Apr 27, 2015

Secrets and Lies is great and should be renewed. Once the murder is resolved, with a few more additions to the main ones, and a new story line could be presented.
Stalker is great. All I can say is PLEASE BRING IT BACK and expand the personal lives of the other characters in addition to this guy stalking the detective.
Apr 27, 2015
State of Affairs is awful. Difficult to follow and understand. No one is believable in their parts, especially the President. However, I agree the only plus is it brought Katherine Heigl back to TV.
I wish Shonda Rimes and Ms. Heigl can be civil and work it out and bring back Doctor Izzie Stevens on Gray's Anatomy. I am surprised that show is coming back. It does not have that fun and sad and interesting story lines like in the first 6 or 7 seasons. All the interns living in Meredith's house, they were all involved with each others lives, etc. So many characters have no major or any story lines.
Revenge in one way should end because everything seems to be finished but on the other hand I love it so much. Too many people have left and if other story lines are brought in, they really have nothing to do with the main story line and that was revenge by Emily on everyone who hurt her father.
HOWEVER, if it ends I have two scenarios. One is that David dies, Jack left, Nolan goes off with his new partner and Emily is left alone and takes the ultimate revenge by killing herself OR she winds up with Jack, her father is OK, Nolan and his partner marry. TRAGIC or SAD demise of the show.
Apr 27, 2015
Forever is a much improved New Amsterdam (The one thing I have a hard time believing is the creators' claim that this show came from a conversation with his son! With the similarities in the stories including the sixty something son, living in New York, from Europe, searching for a way to die etc any University would call him before the ethics board to refute charges of plagiarism!!) As I said though: Forever is a lot more polished, the actors are more accomplished and the storylines are getting better with every week! I would love to see it have a run like Highlander instead f the ¾ season of New Amsterdam

Apr 27, 2015
I'll be crushed if Agent Carter (love the post war setting) and Galavant (unlike anything else on TV and screamingly funny) don't come back. Also, Nashville's plots are pretty soapy/stupid, but the music is great.
Apr 27, 2015
Forever, State of Affairs and Castle are all great shows!
Apr 26, 2015
Resurrection and Revenge is the only I've seen on this list. And I haven't got past the 1st season on either.

Not a lot of interesting sounding TV on broadcast anymore.
Apr 26, 2015
They need to renew Forever. I love that show!
Apr 25, 2015
There is a lot of this series i would watch if they were renewed, but there is only forever that i really wish would be renewed.
Apr 25, 2015
Here I the shows I think should be saved because of what they can offer in gripping storylines and/or character development. Castle, Constantine, CSI Cyber, FOREVER, Agent Carter, Night shift, Revenge and Stalker. Forever is my current favourite as far as new shows go. You just know that if any of them get cancelled the ba****rds will leave them on cliff hangers and won't even bother to answer the questions we're left with. They REALLY need to stop that.
Apr 25, 2015
If Backstrom gets canceled, I'm going to be pissed. TV needs flawed heroes because people are flawed.

This show's only crime is being off-beat.
May 14, 2015
Now that we know that Backstrom has been canceled, I have to admit that after seeing him crying at an AA meeting at the end of the last episode, I don't feel so bad about it. I have a feeling that if it had continued, it would have become a sappy drama about Backstrom's recovery.

I liked it the way it was.
Apr 23, 2015
American Crime should be an anthology series. Forever is one of our favorites, we do hope it survives. Everything else can go.
Apr 25, 2015
I was thinking the exact same thing about American Crime. It's an awesome show, but the current story has to conclude and a new story has to begin. It can't be dragged out over time, the way it's going.
Apr 27, 2015
Absolutely agreed. There are so many stories that we don't see - particularly from the criminal and victim side. I like how the authorities are not the focus - as is the case in most crime shows. We relate to the police or the lawyers; very infrequently to the victim or the accused. I would like to see some spins on recent events, a la Law & Order, but fictionalized, as to show all facets of crime. They can do some great things with this one. Hope ABC has the balls.
Apr 23, 2015
I have been watching Revenge right after Once Upon a Time since the beginning! And now my new favorite Secret and Lies is in danger too/?? I've come to know and love the Main Characters on Revenge and I just love them! There are so many ways they can revamp the story with Amanda's father in the picture..but the most awesome relationship between Nolan and Amanda is my favorite..it's so real I think the fault here lies with the writers...we've been waiting since the beginning for Amanda and Jack to get together...and. yet they've ignored that demand..we don't need a new show...we need new writers!!!!
Apr 23, 2015
.if there was a rotten tomatoes awards for tv shows, this year's big winner on every account would be CSI:Cyber.. it is so bad, that it becomes something too good to miss (kinda like the following and under the dome but even more campy and ridiculous):) every time Patricia Arquette starts acting I cringe (I kinda feel she does the same thing too).. every time I see good old Peter Nichols say an utterly stupid line, I feel like patting on his shoulder and say "there, there".. James Van Der Beek is just not working.. he tries to look angry and ambitious and strong but sadly he is not that guy.. the young hack team, dont even wanna say much about them, its not their fault.. the scripts, oh my the scripts.. scripts that state the obvious, paraphrase what we have just seen.. the storyline, scare mongering, totally ridiculous storyline.. and for heavens sake, the opening credits where patricia explains what the show is about every god damn single week and whispers in our ears "it can happen to you.." in a voice assumed to be scary but more likely sexy, that it makes you say "yeah baby, bring it on, let it happen to me!".. have seen any worse? I have watched entire csi:ny seasons and like seven seasons of the original csi; I am an avid lover of police procedurals, I like cheesy and campy stuff but this whole mess is even too much for me: too stupid, taking itself too serious, trying too hard to make sense and ergo fail, etc. Really someone should cancel that show immediately, bury the remaining episodes in a place where no one can find and end the misery of this group of people who probably could do so much better in other shows..
Apr 26, 2015
#1 hate-watch show on TV. Yes, it even beats out The Following and State of Affairs.
Apr 23, 2015
I beg to differ... "State of Affairs" was so bad that i hope it gets renewed, just out of sheer curiosity : how worse can it be ?
May 02, 2015
in the last episode, I swear I saw a moment where Nichols was speechless because he had to say something so meaningless.. he just had that look on his face saying like "what am I really doing here? what did I just say? is this really written as a line for my character?".. I mean, you gotta see it yourself, it really is like the worst..
Apr 23, 2015
Helix should have been included in this list, unless it's already been renewed or axed and I just haven't heard yet... I know the show varies wildly in quality from episode to episode, but I can't help it, I love Helix. There's no other shows even remotely like it on the air right now. I think with a tighter story line and some better writers, Syfy could have quite a winner on their hands... If Z-Nation comes back and Helix doesn't, that will some bs..
Also, Constantine should definitely be renewed and Witches of East End should NEVER have been canceled... They canceled it just when it was getting really entertaining and not quite so soapy.. Lifetime network can suck it, without WOEE they've lost me as a viewer, and my mother and sister too.
Apr 28, 2015
Except that this was a list of broadcast network shows: CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox & CW. Helix (and all other cable shows) get canceled or renewed based on totally different criteria.
Apr 29, 2015
Didn't notice that distinction, my bad.
Apr 23, 2015
With the exceptions of Agent Carter and Castle, I don't care about any of these. Enjoyed Agent Carter and really wish we could retcon Castle back to Season 3 and start over. (Maybe even earlier) It just seemed to have lost it's direction. The first season it was witty and playful and then it just became yet another police procedural. And now, WTF is it? They should have just forgotten that whole 3K killer (or whatever his lame ass name was) and just focused on pushing through Kate's Mother's story and wrapped it up nicely with their wedding on or about the 100th episode and done. Finished and ripe for syndication.
Load More Comments