4 Reasons Fox Is Having a Disastrous Fall (and 3 Possible Fixes)

We're roughly two months into the fall TV season and it's been a rough one for Fox. Actually, Fox executives would probably love us to call what's happened since September "rough"—in truth, it's been a legitimate disaster. In a fall season where few new shows have been canceled, Fox is already down one big new project (the tragic Utopia) and features a slew of other dead newbies walking (MulaneyGracepoint, and Red Band Society). That doesn't even paint the full picture. Sleepy Hollow, one of last year's surprise hits, has seen its live ratings sink substantially compared to last year, and the network's Tuesday comedy block, a lingering problem over the last couple of years, has only sunk further this fall. Years ago, this might have been manageable, with American Idol looming in January, but the singing competition isn't the giant it once was, and The Following took a dive in its second season as well. Long story short: It's bleak at Fox right now (no wonder former boss Kevin Reilly left and/or got pushed out).

Fox's issues don't start and end with this fall's bombs, however. Some of the network's problems have been festering for a few years now, and the 2014–2015 season might simply be the bottom (or, for Fox's sake, let's hope they are). Nevertheless, they're not that different from the ailments suffered by other networks that've struggled recently. Here are the four things that Fox has gotten wrong, and how it can look to previous network resurgences to make it back to the top.

Mistake #1: Overextending or running everything into the ground

Oh, the curse of success. In the early 2000s, NBC shot itself in the foot by stretching some of its most notable shows to the limit and ordering "super-sized" episodes of Friends and The Apprentice. Meanwhile, ABC made the same mistake by filling what felt like every timeslot in its schedule with Who Wants to Be a MillionaireIt's hard not to ride the hot hand, but when networks go too far, it can be detrimental. Fox is now in this position.

All shows eventually see degradation of their audience over time, but American Idol's descent was likely expedited by the upheaval at the judge's table that began in 2010. Simon Cowell departed the show in 2011 and brought The X Factor to the U.S., giving Fox two singing competitions to anchor its fall and spring schedules. While The X Factor did just fine for Fox, it was never the phenomenon that the network hoped it would be, and it's difficult not to imagine that running singing competition shows from September through May damaged viewers' interest in the genre, as well as the Idol mothership. It's telling that almost all of NBC's success with The Voice can be attributed to the judges; who knows what would've happened to Idol and Fox if Simon Cowell had never left? But Fox chose to risk its most valuable property by running the format into the ground.

It's not just Idol and The X Factor, though. Fox made the critical error of choosing to renew Glee for two seasons in April 2013, at a moment when the show had clearly passed its prime both creatively and with audiences. The musical dramedy stunk up Fox's schedule on the very valuable Thursday night last fall, and returned to Tuesday in the spring just in time to join the network's troubled comedies. Fox should've known better, particularly because it was smart enough to put The O.C. out of its misery once the Mischa Barton soap lost its cultural import some years before.

Perhaps even worse, the network made the same mistake this fall—but to a more serious degree—by bloating a new show to the extreme before audiences saw a single episode. Utopia, the social experiment/reality show gone so wrong, was intended to fill the multi-night X Factor-shaped hole in Fox's schedule. But by the third night of its three-night premiere, the show was already down to less than 2 million viewers, and while Fox tried to be patient through October, cutting the show's twice weekly airings down to one and introducing numerous format changes, it had no choice but to pull the plug after just 12 episodes. You can file the extended episode orders for Sleepy Hollow (from 13 to 18) and Gotham (from the originally planned 15 to 22) in this category as well.

The thing about overextending formats or shows, trying to plug them into multiple nights, is that it hurts more than just the timeslots they air in—it ultimately affects the entire schedule. With roughly six to eight hours dedicated to Idol, The X FactorGlee, and Utopia over the past couple years, Fox has ordered fewer shows than most of its direct competitors. As a result, it doesn't have much left to debut when things go south; that's why Mulaney and Red Band Society are still kicking. If the network didn't have Bones or Gordon Ramsay, I have no idea what it would do.

Mistake #2: Assuming the grass could be greener with dramas

When things are going poorly for a broadcast network, it's easy to suggest that it should simply throw everything away and try to start over. But that's simply not logical. When NBC was struggling in the mid-aughts, it had the tendency to cut bait with middling shows under the assumption that whatever was in the pipeline couldn't be worse. No one knows whether Journeyman or Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip would've worked long-term, but NBC certainly didn't strike gold with the shows it replaced them with.

Fox has made similar assumptions, particularly on the drama side. The network chose Dollhouse over Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, then buried Dollhouse. It grew impatient with Human Target, The Chicago Code, Alcatraz, The Finder, and Almost Human. Yes, there were reasons to cancel each of those dramas, as none of them were major success stories, and it's somewhat unfair to use hindsight in analysis; however, for a network that was starting to encounter holes, booting decent-to-solid hour-longs seemed weird at the time, especially when Fox then ordered a small number of dramas in the aftermath.

Of course, these issues are linked. All of those shows aired a big chunk of their episodes on Mondays, the night that Fox has designated as a two-hour drama block for a while now. With the logjams on Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday and confidence in projects like The Following or Sleepy Hollow or 24: Live Another Day, Fox clearly thought it didn't have room for its under-performers. But you have to guess that the network would've liked to have episodes of Almost Human to plug in right now instead of letting Gracepoint or Red Band Society run out the string.

Page 2: Flailing comedies and that "We're killing pilot season!" promise, plus some possible fixes

< 1 2
See Full Story
Jan 12, 2016
Renewing shows like Sleepy Hollow proves Fox doesn't have a clue. For instance, The Walking Dead is killing it in the ratings. Proof, You still can produce shows people will watch! Yet, Fox just keeps throwing money on this ratings loser. If they don't cancel this show after this season, they might have to pay people to watch it! And they wonder why they are failing? Whoever is calling the shots over there needs to double up on their meds. Or maybe they already have, and that's the problem. Sooner or later, you are better off cutting bait, sucking up you losses, and moving the blank on. Time for Fox to sober up and at least make an effort. Do something, even if it's wrong, do something. Sticking with this loser in hopes of better ratings is nuts. No one wants to see recycled plots, stupid B movie monsters,and poorly acted predictable soap opera cliff hangers. The Abbie returns episode coming soon. Oh wow. You mean she didn't really die? Give me a break.
Jan 06, 2015
Sleepy Hollow used to be an exciting and wonderful show full of diverse and interesting characters which made the show very entertaining and fun to watch. A show most of us looked forward to watching from week to week.

Where has that show gone? Abbie Mills and Ichabod Crane were a unique and dynamic partnership, And after a day of kicking demon butt, they had those special moments at the end of each show which solidified them as the Witnesses; the end game of SH.

Now, Abbie Mills has been sidelined and marginalized as the second witness and who do we have in her place? Katrina Crane. If SH makes it another season. Please do what SH planned to do in season one. Kill off Katrina Crane. Every scene shes in drags down the show.. She is by far the most boring character and only works as a plot device. I am sure Katia Winter is a nice person however, she is not an actress. She is however, the weakest link of SH. And, she seems to glorify and make fun of her bad acting by sticking it in the face of viewers with arrogance I might add. Who's protecting this woman at the expense of the real talent on SH?

Nicole Beharie, Tom Mison, Lyndie Greenwood, and Orlando Jones, deserve so much more than what they have been subjected to this season. If SH makes it to season 3, I hope they bring closure to the Abbie/Luke relationship. Bring back John Cho as Andy and return Abbie and Ichabod back to their positions as the TWO Witnesses on equal footing, the end game of SH.
Dec 30, 2014
Fox' entertainment divisions (unlike their "news" operations) are capable of true greatness, when they do things differently from the competition. When Married With Children began it was truelly goundbreaking, though they kept it arouns bout twice as long as seemed sane or reasonable They have, so far, produced four shows with Joss Whedon, two of which they produced for the fledgling WB network, which lasted a total of twelve seasons, and two for broadcast on their own network, which they strangled in the crib (to me TSCC and Dollhouse made a great one-two punch on Friday nights, but they didn't ask).
For a time, the WB (and to a musch lesser extent UPN) succeeded by taking chances on relatively unknown show-runners (Whedon, Rob Thomas), and completely original and refreshing premises(the aforementioned Whedon shows, Veronica Mars, Roswell, Smallville).
I think Fox should go with their strengths, by producing original and even thought provoking programming. Joss is busy these days, but there's other talent out there Along with "The Truth," right? Bring on the next X-Files, just not an actual reboot...
Dec 30, 2014
I have always known FOX because of Bones but I only watch Bones and New Girl from that network now. I used to love Almost Human and so did my family but it was cancelled before I even saw it but watched it anyway with a recommendation from a friend and I'm glad I did. I think FOX need to renew Almost Human and regain some credibility. I have always known FOX to produce quality I was a huge fan of The X-Files and know they can discover great shows but they go and cancel them. They need to be patient and trust that shows will work if they let them and promote them, so that everyone has a chance to watch them when they air. I didn't know about Almost Human until someone told me and with shows of that genre I usually know before hand. Fox will soon become known as The Simpsons network and not for the quality programs I used to want to watch. They need to start listening and caring about what they air. Most importantly bring back Almost Human. It would be a good start.
Dec 17, 2014
Fox and other network executives need to realize that more and more viewers are watching RECORDED TV and their dwindling numbers are reflecting that fact. Be patient, leave the shows alone and listen to your audience. Join the 21st Century and it's new way of enjoying network TV.
Dec 17, 2014
First, close down the News Division. Everything else will fall into place.
Dec 10, 2014
What both the post and the comments seem to boil down to is two words: patience and consistency.

I am not a TV executive or a reviewer. Heck, I'm not even from the US, but I do like American TV and I follow such things. So, in my mind, whatever FOX does, they must stick with it for awhile before panicking and going straight to the next (hopefully) Big Thing. So, long term strategy.

I also have a question, TV viewers and reviewers. Realistically, can a show be revived? I am not talking about a show being saved by a new venue right after its cancellation by the original broadcaster.

I'm talking about a show that has been out for at least a full year or more. I ask this after reading below comments where people ask for the return of shows like Firefly, Almost Human, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles etc.

I know it was done with Arrested Development, but I have no other example in mind. So, again, realistically, can it be done?

Any ideas?
Dec 08, 2014
Wait! Did the Simpsons get cancelled!!!????!!
Dec 08, 2014
..... O Fox why u do this
Dec 08, 2014
I really love this channel and the shows are good! People will have their own opinions on it and you can't be angry with them about it.
Dec 08, 2014
Broadcast TV is becoming way too generic and plastic. Most of the acting is simple and typical. It's rare to find a good comedy or drama/action show. It's why everyone is moving to cable and premium cable channels or netflix/hulu/amazon originals. They're old formula is getting boring.
Dec 07, 2014
Hadn't realized that FOX was #4 of the 4 major networks. Checked the top 20 show ratings. Dominated by the NFL (NBC), reality TV (ABC & some NBC), and the NCIS franchise (CBS). CBS also has most of the traditional TV series in the top 20. Once the NFL season is over then I would expect NBC to slip in the ratings. NBC does not have a single traditional show in the top 20.
I hope that FOX will follow it's tradition of giving us genre shows but gives them more time to get established. Firefly and The Terminator were two prematurely cancelled shows that I really missed. I also miss Dracula which was a NBC series cancelled which was excellent but was not promoted properly.
Oh well, in another year or two we will be discussing another network that is in the dumps. It all cycles....
Dec 05, 2014
I think often we are too hard on Fox. It walks a fine line. Look at some of the shows it's brought us that other networks didn't. Fringe, Almost Human, T:SCC, Firefly.

So how do we judge this? If Fox takes risks on sci-fi or alternative stuff, and then gets slammed for canceling, they will likely take less risks.

Almost Human really was not great, regardless of the order. The main character seemed constantly perplexed by what the cyborgs could do, which made little sense for someone from that time.

Firefly was great in it's own way, but very difficult to get into. Even I struggled on that one. Only due to being re-runs and therefore having the reviews to show me it was worth it, did I continue.

T:SCC was a really good show with brilliant writing. But it had a ridiculous first episode that probably lost 1000s of viewers who woul not have returned (teen terminator). Those who perservered were rewarded in bucket loads. Then, when cancellation was in the air, season 2 took a phsychological journey into Sarah's mind. Not good timing. It also made the mistake of saying it was about Sarah when it was really about John's devlopment.

So all things considered, it's hard to ignore the obvious reasons for cancellation. I'm not saying I liked it, not at all. But as much as I want Fox to only consider what I want, that's never going to happen.
Dec 02, 2014
Fox is still a good channel, but they need to bring some of the shows that were most popular back and stop making such clique shows. Still great channel though :)
Dec 02, 2014
Fox needs to build a good base of shows and realize that consistent programming will build ratings. Start by bringing back Human Target, Chicago Code, and a rebuilt X-Files. Then understand that not every show they do is going to be a rating giant. Sometimes, it takes a while to build ratings for shows when you are a second-tier network. They should have realized they made a mistake with Human Target when they saw how well CBS's Person of Interest has done. They might do well to pick up Matador from El Rey Network. They have already done one season, they could rerun it while they do the next season. The real lesson though is still a simple one: don't be so quick with the && button!
Dec 02, 2014
I couldn't agree with you more!
Nov 26, 2014
Bring back Almost Human. And air the episodes in the right order. Remember Firefly? Bet they're still kicking themselves for buggering that up.
Nov 28, 2014
It grew on me that show. Got a bit sidetracked though on his Mrs, kind of disappeared on that part of the story.
Nov 24, 2014
How would I fix FOX? I wouldn't. Firefly. 'Nuff Said. I really wanted to watch Almost Human, it looked like it was going to be great but it was canceled before I got the chance! F*** FOX
Nov 23, 2014
2014 and ratings are pretty much still all that matter to a network..... SIGH!
Dec 01, 2014
yeah cause ratings mean money, no money and you go out of business. imagine networks trying to make money and stay in business, what a horrible concept, they should air money losing shows that no one watches just for the hell of it
Nov 20, 2014
I'd find a way to make Fox & FX more interchangeable & less quick to pull the cancellation trigger when a show isn't an instant, phenomenal success

For example, instead of cancelling Almost Human, I'd have moved it to FX where it could have thrived & still be cranking out episodes to this day.

& at least for now, I'd air reruns of earlier FX shows at the watershed hour on Fox...not everyone has access to basic cable & I think it would be pretty effin' cool to see Fox itself air something like Justified or the Americans.

::Shrug::
Nov 17, 2014
Shouldn't have cancelled almost human.
Nov 15, 2014
Solution #4: stop sabotaging and cancelling every new show with promise
Nov 20, 2014
that sounds great except they have no new shows with promise
Nov 23, 2014
I'm sure the OP was talking in general, not the 2014/2015 season.
Nov 15, 2014
I miss Raising Hope...
bring back ALMOST HUMAN and DOLLHOUSE
Nov 14, 2014
Still have almost human on my server at home and I´m still mad about that cancellation.
Nov 14, 2014
I really liked Almost Human and The Finder. I just HATE when there is cliffhanger endings.
Nov 14, 2014
I do SO hope that a company like Netflix picks up on Almost Human. I miss Kennex and Dorian, and up to today I feel it was a biggggg miss to stop the show. It had (and still has) so much potential. Fox, what a mess. You don't recognise the diamond even it was embedded in the soft tissue of your upper lip!
Nov 14, 2014
FOX tv needs an identity.

When they first launched(and I still remember when they did) they were basically known as the 4th network. Then they rose to become the quirky/edgy network that would take a chance on anything. And what is FOX today? When I hear the name "FOX network" 4 things come to mind.....sports, news, American Idol & The Simpsons. I have no use for their sports or news, I never watched AI and The Simpsons is pretty much background noise for my TV. Of course FOX does have other programming, but nothing that really stands out as part of their branding imagery.

Obviously they could use a few hits. But more importantly I think they need to build a new exciting identity and then work to brand it. Maybe they could conduct more focus groups to gauge opinions on upcoming programming. And they could really use a star producer/showrunner....much in the same way Shonda Rhimes is for ABC & Chuck Lorre is for CBS. JJ Abrams is spread too thin these days so I think they should look elsewhere.
Nov 14, 2014
I'm still not over FOX cancelling ALMOST HUMAN, DOLLHOUSE AND HUMAN TARGET I loved those shows and they weren't given the chance to shine.
Nov 14, 2014
FOX IS TRASH..WHO CANCELS GANG RELATED...i accepted years go..Fox doesnt have a clue
Nov 14, 2014
Fox has always been a bit neurotic with their shows. There were a few shows that I thought were never given a chance or moved around the schedule so much that no one was able to keep up.

Of the ones that were mentioned here, Human Target was great, as well as The Finder. Loved the Terminator:Sarah Conner....

Nov 14, 2014
Maybe they can do fictionalized historical shows…along the lines of Spartacus, Vikings. I wouldn't mind seeing a fictionalized series about Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan (sp?).
I forget to include this idea in my comment below.
If Hannibal can get away with the violence then all of my suggestions here and below could work.

Nov 14, 2014
There is a growing trend towards historical drama. I don't know if Hieroglyph was supposed to be their attempt at jumping on the bandwagon.
Dec 02, 2014
Yes! I mean come on.
Nov 14, 2014
Do they have any horror? American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Hannibal and others like Supernatural (campy horror) seem to do pretty well. Maybe they can develop a dark "horror" show (NO tweeny TVD or similar teen geared horror).

Also a lot of the great anti-hero geared shows are over and that is a big void (miss Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter [yes, it turned to crap] and so many others…also Justified and SoA are ending). A dark gritty anti-hero show….

Something like Southland--they don't need the same cast even if it would be great to have them

A legal show--The Good Wife is ending soon and already it doesn't have enough court room action. I'm not sure how much life is left in Suits.

We already have tons of "family oriented" shows and lame comedies so maybe take a page out of Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones…adult drama.

Bring back Almost Human
Nov 14, 2014
They messed up with canceling Almost Human and Human Target! I'm really disappointed about Almost Human being canceled. I liked S1 Sleepy Hollow but haven't been able to get into S2. Almost Human was better imo.

Regarding Utopia, I knew it was doomed when Red (crazy but interesting) left and we were left with animal abusing morons, thieves and bullies with no survival skills and no interest in learning to survive other than cheap "art" sold on ebay…what a joke! I quit after a couple episodes (when crazy but fascinating Red left).
Nov 14, 2014
I love Sleepy Hollow, but I think the time slot is the problem with the show. Although many don't like to admit it, shows like The Voice are still pulling large numbers, so why put an awesomely good show against it. I hope Sleepy Hollow survives for at least one more season. Plus Fox, needs to have a little more patience with their programs, don't just cancel off the cuff.
Nov 13, 2014
You listed four shows there which IMHO were killed off before they even had a chance to stand up. The Finder and Almost Human were GREAT shows. Human Target was genius and had a brilliant cast. Alcatraz didn't even open it's eyes.

Fox is the death knell for any new show. If it's not Lost level popular within 2-3 episodes... BANG!! They are like the TV Show Mafia.

How sad for these producers to have to go back to their offices, shrug and then say to the staff "Well the good news is we got a 12 episode run, the bad news it was Fox" *people stand up and start to pack up their desks*
Nov 13, 2014
Almost Human was unfairly cancelled. Too bad.
Nov 13, 2014
Well Fox has really lost the plot, and deserve everything they get.

Immature cancellations - There is only so many times that you can piss off your loyal viewers, then this is the result.

I say, fire everyone at Fox as they clearly do not know what they doing and replace the whole lot. Maybe a clean slate with new brains is exactly what they need to survive.
Nov 13, 2014
I just really really hope they don't tough Bones...that show it's awesome, and FOX has done stuff that shouldn't to that show, move the days without any warning, skip weeks and weeks of episodes and still the show has a loyal fan base so hopefully they can see that. As to other shows, they need to do something comedy/drama thing with a big names for main characters and a twisty plot...just don't touch bones please!
Nov 13, 2014
I feel like most viewers could [rightly] tell FOX exactly what they need to do, aside from stand behind some shows with middling rating, which they obviously hate to do (like a drug addict they want their fix now)... And the first this is really very basic: They need to see what people want, not tell them what they want!

FOX seems to think of television advertisement as selling Coca-Cola, but what they fail to understand is that COKE is a well known brand and the company really just needs to put the name on TV to remind people the choice is there.

FOX seems to think if they do that with something like UTOPIA or Sleepy Hollow they'll have people watching. NO! Telling us that this is the greatest show since Milton Berle's Texaco Star Theater (I know that reference is older than I am) will not make people want to seem them.

To be honest I didn't watch Sleepy Hollow until the first season ended, and that only because so many friends suggested it, simply because of the obnoxious campaigning FOX did. It also didn't help that the advertisements were clearly made by someone who seemed more interested in poking a little fun at the series rather than trying to get folks on board.

Now, however, I watch Sleepy Hollow religiously.

There are obvious strong audiences out there for television programs, they all haven't started reading books [sadly] all of a sudden. FOX could produce sit-coms, sf/fantasy shows, cop show, young adult/family shows & super hero shows. They already have (or had) their hands in most of these genres. But the once edgy FOURTH NETWORK is now just a pale imitation of it's competitors.

Maybe we should start calling them the RC Cola of television?!

FOX seems to have followed the lyrics of the CLASH ditty and started working for the Clampdown. Which, perhaps can't be helped, though it's a shame a station that broke the rules with shows like Married with Children and the short-lived ACTION! (do you remember that gem?) is now programing shows like Mulaney and Gracepoint.

Now perhaps FOX wasn't being bold in edgy in the early 1990's when they first aired Batman: The Animated Series, a cartoon about a guy dressed like giant flying rat beating up the criminally insane and created 53 years before. A series that still makes money for DC Comics today.

Back then they were giving people what they wanted. They looked for an interest and filled it. They didn't overwhelm us with adverts telling us to watch it and why we should watch it, they shows why and let us become fans.

But what interested isn't getting filled today? They tried the Network underrepresented Science Fiction genre with the undersupported Almost Human and now seem to think that they should leave it to the SyFy Channel now.

They seem to have forgotten that what names NETWORKS special isn't their number on the dial (okay none of have a dial any longer but go with it), it's that they aren't a specially network like the cable stations. While TNT can focus on drama, like they advertise to viewers ad nauseam, and SyFy can air sci-fi and wrestling [or was that redundant because wresting is sci-fi]. FOX is supposed to be providing viewers with a broad range of programing.

They should be giving us a little of everything and they should be designing their schedules to reflect viewer habits so they can capture our interest. Not forgetting many viewers watch Hulu later (do they actually even seen those numbers because guess what New Girl might not have big rating, but it is always popular on Hulu).

So here we are at the end... after giving shows a time to grow, doing some actual research (not just watching other stations) and trying something new & interesting for TV (not just killing pilot season - an idiot could have told them that was a bad idea), we have the ever important time-slotting!

Picking a time to show a series, despite many of us watching our favors later, is a critical. This idea that the programers know where shows should go it the worst kind of arrogance. Any television viewer worth their salt could lay very-very good odds on the survival of a show just by the slot it was placed in.

To kill a show, put it up against something it can never beat or put it on a day or at a time no one will watch it. Sure the slot has to be filled but we've all seen favorites die just this way. I could give you a list longer then this comment of shows places just on Friday Nights to die.

If they don't have confidence in a show why kill it?! It show viewer that the station doesn't even give a $#!^ enough to be up front. And while sure they don't give a $#!^ at all, it's always nice to think they do. Because we do!
Nov 17, 2014
Very passionate & well put!
Nov 17, 2014
Thank you!
Nov 13, 2014
Dollshouse, Almost Human, Human Target and The Finder were all great shows and had their charms.
Nov 13, 2014
Bad idea to cancel Almost Human. It had great potential. Ridiculous to cancel firefly. Alcatraz had potential too but of course Fox bugged out too soon. They will never change and won't survive long unless they pull their heads out of their backsides...!
Nov 13, 2014
I followed and all three of these shows and I was sad to see them go. Foolish moves indeed, even if it made commercial sense for FOX (?) at the time.

On the other hand, keeping them on wouldn't have kept FOX from their current predicament. It would only have served in "plugging holes", as the editor of the post puts it.

But, damn! how I wish they would have kept Firefly for a few more seasons...

Burn FOX, BURN!
Nov 14, 2014
I hear ya on all counts. I just hope the Save Almost Human campaign is successful. The only light at the end of the tunnel.

but yeah...burn fox. Wake up to what people really want and stop cancelling the good stuff. I half expected them to cancel Sleepy Hollow but thankfully that hasn't happened yet. Yet...
Nov 14, 2014
I think SH is safe for now; even if for no other reason but because they have no more room for cancellations. Bad reason, but there you have it. Good for the viewers.
Nov 15, 2014
Yeah they have definitely reached their cancellation quota. I just hope they do something with the Katrina character on SH. She annoys me even more this season than she did last season. Maybe they could just get rid of her...
Nov 13, 2014
Fox was the one that cancelled Firefly, right? Yeah ... hope you rot, Fox.
Nov 13, 2014
Fox cancelled also Almost human ... a show about I was hopeful that it was not shown at Syfy.. so it could run more than 2 seasons... but NOO!
Dec 02, 2014
ya i was so excited to watch that show
Nov 13, 2014
How would I fix Fox? I wouldn't. It deserves to be broken. We've gotten hooked on shows only to be left wanting more and wondering "how would it have ended?" way too often. Firefly, Alcatraz, Terra Nova, and most recently Almost Human (which still stings for me the most!) Nope, Fox is not worth my time. Clearly others have come to the same conclusion.
Nov 20, 2014
I have actually taken to ignoring the new shows from Fox as I know that they will be short-lived. There is no point in getting attached to characters and stories for them to only last a max of 12 weeks - unless they star a wide-eyed Deschanel sister!
Nov 13, 2014
Human Target will always be painful for me. In it's second season, it didn't even have a proper air night. They moved it around every week. Yet it still stayed strong in the ratings. I think the finale of season 2 had something like a 2.6 rating with 10 million viewers... on a different night of the week every week. Yet it was cancelled.
Nov 13, 2014
I don't think I've ever been as upset about a show as Human Target. But not really for the reasons you mentioned Seer. I was pissed because they COMPLETELY CHANGED the entire show from Season 1 to 2. Season 1 was amazing, and I can watch all of those episodes over and over again. They set up characters with great backstories and then put them together in an exciting way. The episode with his former buddy (Baptista I think?) was the pinnacle of that show. But then for whatever reason (I'm going to go with the shift towards irrational politically correct morons who can only speak of shows in terms of minority and "strong" female characters), the show totally changed in Season 2 with the addition of the 2 female characters. It's not that I don't like the actresses or female characters, it's that these particular characters were incredibly boring and didn't fit in to the show well AT ALL. They had to essentially re-write it to come up with stories to fit these 2 characters in, and the show never recovered.
Nov 14, 2014
I agree 100% I loved this show and still rewatch them during my holidays but yes season 2 lost its focus that season 1 had and that was because of the addition of the two new female characters.
Nov 13, 2014
I was under the impression FOX was always this way, I've been hearing about their fuckery since before I even started getting into TV watching.
Nov 12, 2014
The only show I watch on Fox is Gracepoint, a terrific show which started so far behind due to being up against Scandal (which dominates its target demographic) and Football that it never stood a chance.
Nov 12, 2014
I don't care how good or bad the ratings of Enlisted were like before it was cancelled. But Enlisted was a better choice to fit well with Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Sunday Nights. Now you have to reboot Enlisted right away.
Nov 13, 2014
That would be a dream come true! Too bad FOX is run by a bunch of manatees!
Nov 12, 2014
More genre shows? Xfiles was both SciFi and a procedural that lasted for 9 seasons. I think in general , Fox should just order actual good show and give it proper promotion and time to develop. Breaking Bad wasn't a hit when it started. Only became massive in the later seasons. Give the shows a chance before cancelling them.
Nov 13, 2014
Yeah exactly. At the very least, air all the episodes you have, before you get rid of a show. And given the fact this isn't 20 yrs ago when basically there was only 4 networks and premium TV shows- there is sooo much more shows audiences watch and decide upon. So like they might decide to give show A a chance for a few eps then toss it and go to show B or here from a friend and go with show C.

Cancelling after a handful of episodes doesn't allow enough time for the writers to develop plot or characters well.

And given that so many shows get cancelled so early, a lot of people are saying f--- it , I'll wait to see if it servives the cornicorpia onslaught first.
Nov 13, 2014
I agree with you. Let fall shows play out until at least December, and if they don't find an audience, replace them in February after the Super Bowl. It's funny how many articles and reader comments on this site seem to be taking the opposite position of yours. I could probably find posts still bemoaning Firefly's cancellation a decade after the fact, and now there are people with no consideration greater than their "dead pools" complaining that shows aren't being cancelled fast enough.
Nov 12, 2014
FOX the network has been operating like this for the past 28 years. Most of their rating comes from Football, baseball and other sports. I am impressed Cory with this article but if you dig deeper there are so many shows during the Xfiles era alone that could have easily out done shows like Alcatraz and they got the axe quick. Keep in mind FOX's production studios gave us Buffy and others that keep FOX the network going.
Staff
Nov 12, 2014
Oh, sure. FOX has this reputation, but I didn't really buy into it for a long time. But the last few years have been odd.
Nov 14, 2014
It has a track record that backs it up. The amount of scifi shows they've aXed makes the scifi channel envy them.
Nov 15, 2014
They've had some very interesting genre programming during the early years. The Adventures of Brisco County Jr,, VR5, Space:Above & Beyond, Werewolf, Kindred: The Embraced....I watched them all. I even remember watching Roar which had Heath Ledger & Vera Farmiga before they became big names.
Nov 20, 2014
Exactly what I'm getting at! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers.
Nov 18, 2014
Those shows were awesome!
Nov 12, 2014
When you think about it, if FOX actually kept shows like: Firefly / Dark Angel / Sarah O'Connor Chronicles... well maybe that audience would keep watching FOX instead of sending them hate mail. I for one usually wait till a show finishes its natural run on FOX before investing anytime in it. But alas, no such luck... last hour long I watched on FOX was probably the three I mentioned above. I will tend to watch the comedies though, cause they're usually self-contained episodic tv

Load More Comments