4400, Dead Zone axed

Yesterday brought good news for a pair of USA Network shows. NBC announced that Monk and Psych would make the jump from basic cable to prime-time broadcast television in March, as the network repurposes shows from NBC-owned USA.

Unfortunately, yesterday also brought news for two USA shows that falls way on the other side of the "good/bad" spectrum. It all began with a post on the USA message boards by a user named "SPeters," who claimed to be Scott Peters, creator and executive producer of The 4400. In his post he made the sullen announcement that The 4400 has been canceled, and thanked all the show's fans and crew.

"I just spoke to [star] Joel [Gretsch] and we had a great talk about what we all accomplished and how much we'll miss our family that is our crew and our cast... and our fans," reads the post. "But at least we got to go out with a bang! I had an awesome time directing the last episode. I think I got to make almost every single cast member cry (on camera). How much fun was that?!"

One may balk at the validity of the post, and the fact that the username was created only yesterday and has a history of just that one post probably leads most 4400 fans to believe someone is just pulling their collective leg.

Unfortunately, not only does it look the cancelation is true, but it appears The 4400 isn't alone. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello is reporting that USA is canceling both The 4400 and The Dead Zone. Both sci-fi shows anchored USA's Sunday nights and last aired new episodes in September.

The 4400, about a group of alien abductees who return to Earth, finished its fourth season and developed a loyal fan base. The Dead Zone, based loosely on the Stephen King novel of the same name and starring Anthony Michael Hall, leaves us after six seasons.

The USA Network has not made an official announcement on either show. Requests for comment from parent company NBC Universal were not returned as of press time.

[UPDATE] A USA representative has confirmed to TV.com that both shows are not being renewed.

Jul 09, 2008
We gonna have to start sending the TV studios Peanuts Like they did for jericho. I've Had it now. every show i watch besides Battlestar seem to get canceled. At least they are ending BSG properly. Why cant they just end the show. If its going to be canceled, create a 2 or 3 hour ending. Make the fans that watch and buy happy. i wont buy any seasons to any show that ends now. Im done. And i will NEVER Wacth that reality CRAP..
Apr 26, 2008
USA network made a HUGE mistake here. They could have at least done one more season of each to give the stories some closure, especially since Dead Zone's main story line had been hinted at for six seasons but never resolved and the 4400 story line had yet to even come into focus. We still don't even know what the tragedy was they were trying to prevent let alone if they prevented it. USA is off my list of networks I will watch because of this. When they feel like it Monk, burn notice and Psych will be gone too. With no apologies or resolutions.
Apr 12, 2008
you can't take it off the air, what the hell is wrong with you everytime i sit down and watch something u freakin americans take them off the air what the hell is wrong with you? I refuse 4 you 2 take it off the air, you r angering alot of people here in the UK you carry on with this crap you wont get any ratings from this country i swear it. Now put it back on like good little people that you are and freakin finish it, you start things and never finish it
Apr 06, 2008
The 4400 is one of the best shows of all time...not just in the sci-fi category. I am not a big sci-fi fan but the 4400 is in a class by itself. There is so much more than special effects, gratuitous killing and blood. It is a real story about people, tolerance, good and evil, politics and family. There is mystery and intelligent dialogue about choices with a moral message for every episode. All this is packaged in an exciting, current, fast paced and relatable story line. The characters are developed and continue to grow. The cast is diverse and the acting superb. I cannot believe that USA and/or NBC will cancel such a unique show. I want more of the 4400! Thank you.
Apr 05, 2008
wow, this depressing. i just found out about this, my summer is essentially ruined, at least Sunday Nights. I loved the 4400 show, it actually got me back into television. I saw the mini series during a marathon after having originally wrote it off as some outdated x-files clone about aliens. Boy was I wrong, the show was very well written. The second season was a let down because the shopw was too procedural, the story and characters were not going anywhere but by season 3 it had turned into a full fledged complex and intense serial drama. it was great, though a bit hard to follow at times, this was all fixed by the 4th season which started off and ended with a bang. This series is excellent and needs closure. A 6 hour miniseries would be perfect imo. The show looked as if it were about to end anyway. This and Battlestar Galactica give hope that Sci-Fi can be relevant and taken seriously. awesome shows.

NBC is really falling fast here. Bionic woman was overproduced and cliche, Knight Rider was cheesy and uninspired and Monk and Psych are like a veteran pitcher who lost his stuff and a rookie pitcher with a promising arm that will never develop fully, respectively. At least Fox gets some of it right, most of their network shows are crap but F/X has some of the best shows on cable. I would love it if 4400 aired right before the shield on tuesday nights...what a night of drama.
Mar 05, 2008
I can't believe they canceled the 4400. Are they blind, this show is one of the highest Sci-fi rated. That is so not fair to all the fans. I hope they will bring it back.
Feb 05, 2008
I hate they stoped both of my favorite shows.

Don't the networks know good shows when they see them?!
Feb 03, 2008
As I've seen only a couple of episodes, and it wasn't for me, I doubt I'll notice the 4400 cancellation but perhaps those who are bothered should send something more space consuming than Sunflower seeds?! If I were NBC I'd be far more likely to reinstate a show if my offices were over run with say footballs or Space Hoppers...
Feb 01, 2008
HEY Nick_Cave YOU DO NOT KNOW TALENT WHEN YOU SEE IT! THE 4400 IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD WATCH IT AGAIN-MAYBE IT WAS JUST OVER YOUR HEAD!
Jan 27, 2008
I can't believe it two of my favorite shows and they have been cancelled. I DON'T get it. Who is telling you some of these other shows are keepers. You must be listening to the wrong crowd because this bites. I am so disillusioned with the programs on TV these days. I had been awaiting the return of the 4400 and The Dead Zone. If this keeps up I may do like my neighbors and just disconnect Cable and Satellite and find another form of entertainment.
Jan 26, 2008
I'm shocked. The 4400 is definitely among my favorite shows. TV is so disappointing, lately.
Jan 23, 2008
No way!

you got to be kidding?!!??!

you CAN'T cancel THE 4400!

no after just 4 seasons ¬¬

C'MON!

BRING THEM BACK!
Jan 21, 2008
Oh man what am I supposed to do now?...My summer is gone...One of my favorite show ever...The 400...I,m really sorry for all of us that love the show.

Hopefully they will change their mind very soon
Jan 20, 2008
VISIT THE USA WEBSITE/MESSAGE BOARDS FOR INFORMATION ABOUT SAVING THE 4400. http://www.usanetwork.com/series/the4400/

SEND YOUR REQUESTS\\There's also a web form you can fill out at:

select under 'topic' : USA NETWORK PROGRAMMING

and then for 'show': The 4400...

AND/OR write to that person:

Bonnie Hammer

USA NETWORK

30 Rockefeller Plaza

21st Floor

New York, NY 10112 HEY DO NOT GIVE UP YET-WE THE LOYAL FANS OF THE 4400 ARE HAVING A MASS MAILING ON FEB. 1 THRU 7TH 2008 SENDING EMAILS, LETTERS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS-CALLING THE USA NETWORK TO GET THEM TO GIVE US BACK THE 4400. PLEASE HELP US-MANY PETITIONS ARE UP AND RUNNING AS WELL.
Jan 18, 2008
www.savethe4400.com
Jan 18, 2008
I guess that my sunday nights durring the summer will just never be the same!!!

I liked both shows and wish that they were going to be on again
Jan 17, 2008
That is what me and my mom thought. That they were done because of the writers strike but then wouldn't monk psych and all the other shows on usa have been cacelled. I am going to miss them A LOT.
Jan 17, 2008
Ah Man! I can't believe they are canceling both the 4400 and the dead zone. I thought both shows were doing pretty good. I wander if it had anything to do with the writers strike. Oh Well no need fighting over spoil milk. Good while it lasted.
Jan 16, 2008
i love both the 4400 and the dead zone why would they cancel them there not getting bad rating...i just can't belive they would do this they better not...
Jan 16, 2008
I don't understand why!? It can though end some mini series, 6 episode. It can't so expire. I likes The 4400. It fairest sci-fi serial last time.
Jan 15, 2008
Does anyone really know the reason behind the whole cancelation of the dead zone and 4400. My mom and I were wondering because we are big fans of the shows. It makes no sense to me at all that they got rid of them. Why keep Monk and Psych and get rid of the other two. Dont get me wrong they are both good shows just it does not make sense to me. Does anyone know if the is a site i could go to and complain about it?
Jan 15, 2008
I don't understand why USA is cancelling The 4400. Its like one of there best shows. I heard it was because they wanted to try out new shows. Well I say if it ain't broke don't mess with it. Keep The 4400. You know that you'll have a good stream of viewers.
Jan 07, 2008
4400 needs to stay!!! I love that show! It's so much better than Psych. I think its very stupid that they are getting rid of it. People are going to be pissed.
Jan 03, 2008
i loved the 4400 and the dead zone. monk and psych are complete garbage. this is just one more reason to never watch tv again. more reality shows are sure to follow while those 2 shows get canned. just plain horrible. on the other hand, maybe you can look forward to who wants to marry a 5th grade bingo survivor?
Jan 02, 2008
Couldn't they at least put together some type of wrap-up movie for The 4400? IMO the quality of the entire series was uneven, but it was still definitely worth watching and after people watched it for four seasons, I think both the show and the viewers deserve some actual conclusion here. Really, why should anyone bother watching any of these serialized dramas anymore when the odds are they're going to be cancelled before there's any resolution?
Jan 02, 2008
It's all about money. A tsunami of "reality" crap is headed our way. I never imagined such a surge 15 years ago when I quickly got sick of, and forever changed the channel on, "The Real World." Well, at least we'll all waste a lot less time watching TV and maybe rediscover family, reading and the sun.
Jan 02, 2008
I don't understand why they can't give the shows makers a little notice so they can wrap it up for the benefit of the fans. 4400 always had the potential to go on (I mean there are 4400 abilities to explore), and it had improved dramatically since the first two seasons. Sadly, it was to be expected, each season before the last seemed to be wrapped up too quickly for my liking, giving the impression it was not due to return. Would it not be worth doing a special to conclude it, in the same way Stargate Ark of Truth did? Might even get some DVD sales out of it. Think about it Mr. Executives
Jan 02, 2008
I won't miss 4400.It was starting to get tiresome but I love Dead Zone and to stop before the series has a chance to tie things up is abhorrent. It's bad enough viewers have to suffer as a result of the writers' strike (altho I support them in their efforts).Monk has become a total bore,despite Tony Shaloub's abilities, and Psych is "possibly cute" at best. What is wrong with these network execs? Do they hate TV? TV.com shows the Dead Zone rates 250 of 17,094 shows on this site,putting it in the top 1-2 % of shows. And yes, I will be steaming mad if Burn Notice doesn't return
Jan 01, 2008
Oh, Lord. This is terrible. I've watched The 4400 since the very first time it aired. The first time I've ever done that with a show. And The Dead Zone was great too. I really hate when they cut off shows without an actual ending. It's tragic and heart-breaking. I honestly think I may cry.
Jan 01, 2008
cancelling the 4400 does is extremely random. especially with the way that is was going it seemed like it had a few more seasons.
Dec 31, 2007
This is crap I can't believe that they are canceling the 4400!!! This is such a great show and they left it at such a pivotal point! We all need to do what we can and get this show back on the air got to usanetwork.com and sign the petition!!
Dec 31, 2007
That sucks! I really liked Dead Zone.
Dec 31, 2007
Here is a link to the USA comments section. http://www.usanetwork.com/feedback/#Contact

Flood them with emails requesting that the 4400 and Dead Zone be reinstated!!!! This is stupid. I am personally sick of these companies dictating what we should watch. We should be allowed to make some of the decisions.

USA Network
Dec 30, 2007
Although I'm thrilled to see Psych bumped up to prime time, I'm sad to see The 4400 canceled even though 4 seasons is better than some shows, such as Journeyman which I really thought should have gone at least 2 or 3 seasons. I would have liked to see The 4400 continue on for another season or two.
Dec 30, 2007
TV is so damn brutal, nothing surprises me anymore. Hell of a run they made. I loved that show.
Dec 30, 2007
Very strange to see 4400 and Journeyman cancelled. Maybe they are being sold. Maybe it's the writer strike and reality shows don't need much writing. I guess they might need to show some leverage. Maybe they are attacking specific writers. Or maybe I just watch too much TV :)

The sad part is they probably won't sell the shows because they shows probably do have a lot of viewers and they don't want to lose them to competitors but not enough for their greedy pockets.

But don't worry people, pretty soon all TV shows will have logos in the corner and will be distributed over the internet freely. And all the networks will have is news and live sports. Well at least until better protocols are in place and then they'll have nothing!

Until then the only leverage we have is as groups, so someone build a website & petition, and state by signing this petition you will boycot their network. And maybe even the top ten products they advertise. That'll get them pissing their pants :)
Dec 30, 2007
Wow, 4400?! Unbelievable. I can see where Dead Zone was losing it's way but I thought 4400 still had a lot to give. Once again I'm disappointed by an out-of-the-blue cancellation.:(
Dec 30, 2007
I am sooo mad that they have decided to cancel the 4400. I have been watching it avidly since it started and now i am eager to see what happens next since they cliff hanged it at the end of the season. And now i will never know. We need to do something to stop this from happening !!! Come on people...
Dec 30, 2007
About the cancellations... The Dead Zone should not be a surprise. That show was on borrowed time two seasons ago. Actually, after they ran out of content from the book, the show began a downward spiral. However, I am surprised that the 4400 was cancelled though. It lagged a little in season 4 but had really picked up steam in season 5. I was looking forward to season 6 since they took the entire city, they were headed for all out war.

About Monk/Psych...I am glad that they are going to make the leap, yet I am afraid. I love them both, but once the writers strike is over, will they be able to compete with primetime shows like CSI, Law & Order and Grey's Anatomy? I think Monk will, but Psych is not yet developed enough to go Prime Time, imo.
Dec 29, 2007
why would they do that, y didnt they made season 5 and rapped things up and not leaving us hanging
Dec 29, 2007
It really is sad!!I am based in Nigeria,Africa and we dont get much of these seasons(like Bionic Woman,That Air Bender movie,Chuck... and many more)but the ones we do get i don miss, Proson Break(we havnt got Season 3 yet),Smallville(my favorite, dont have 7 yet),Heroes(dnt have 2 yet),Lost,Supernatural...really enjoy them,hardly watch movies now, just series, to hear that 4400 is being cancled is outrageous,we dont have season 4 yet and i was really looking forward to it, hey thats the same thing that happend with that Mafia movie(too pisssed to remember the name),fallas, i aint in the U.S withcha but am with u in spirit men,do whatever it takes but lets get 4400 back
Dec 29, 2007
Really sad...4400 and Dead Zone were actually pretty good shows that helped me survived the boredom of Sunday nights.
Dec 28, 2007
4400 was a terrible , terrible show .
Dec 28, 2007
I guess characters aren't welcome anymore.
Dec 28, 2007
A real shame - the worst part is that i am getting used to all the better shows on television getting axed these days. This in itself would be sad enough if it weren't continually compounded by the fact that the decision makers, who care so little about the viewer, never seem to allow these programs to come to any natural conclusion - its just "POOF" and they're gone... NEXT!
Its all about the $$$$ and your just proving it more and more every year - good luck with the way overrated psych - i wont bother trying to get into it as fad shows like that never last more than a year or two.... NEXT!
Dec 28, 2007
Well there goes my Sunday night TV. I can't believe USA is doing this.
Dec 28, 2007
It appears that someone (or everyone) at TV stations hates sci-fi shows/fans and has really bad taste.

All the good shows, worth mentioning are being canceled sometimes in the first 4 seasons.

I know that they have to run business, but this way they will have less viewers. Hope they will relise that one day...
Dec 28, 2007
This really sucks. I just heard. Someone should start an on-line petition as they did for Jericho and they should start it soon. It worked for Jericho. Who knows if maybe it won't have the same results in this case.
Dec 27, 2007
Once again, I find myself disappointed with the TV treadmill, that seems to have no respect for the viewers, to the point of losing interest in those networks. I stopped watching Monk seasons ago, I’ve never watched Psyched, and with only 4400 and Deadzone to anchor me, USA, you’ve set yourself adrift from me. Sci-Fi the same, SG-1 went without what I consider a proper conclusion, BattleStarG suffers from premiere lag and delay, and SG-At isn’t strong enough for me to solely carry the day and wrestling has no reason to be present on said station, unless you consider it a weird almost science fantasy experiment on how it will affect viewers’ brains, so Sci-Fi is floating away with its sister station.

I am displeased that the 4400 and the Deadzone will not continue on to at least show us the ends of their vision. As someone hit upon before, shows of this length and following deserve to at least air a fitting end for closure and respect sake, since its highly unlikely another network will rescue these series and continue on with them (since Sci-Fi network is so tied to USA and NBC that they clearly will not).

I am tired of these sister/parent networks operating these properties to their detriment. Waiting to renew series until after seasons conclusions, time slot shuffling, odd season starts, breaks and endings, relying heavily on Nielsen data as if everybody has that polling system, and not giving viewers a direct ‘vote’ process (website) as to the strength or weakness of continuing a program. Old companies, old rules fouling up modern viewers and technologies with the same ole bull.

No wonder fans remake and continue their beloved series on the internet, away from narrow executives and erratic sponsors. Too bad an independent network hasn’t formed to reclaim quality cancelled shows and bring them back to the audiences that never derailed them.
Dec 27, 2007
All the good hour long TV Shows that I have liked over the past few years seem to end after four seasons. First it was Enterprise, than Everwood, and now the 4400. TV is really starting to push me away.
Load More Comments