5 Great Shows That Deserve Better Timeslots

After initially sliding new comedy The Neighbors into the cushy* post-Modern Family timeslot during the Upfronts in May, ABC smartly realized that A) The Neighbors is going to fail and B) the timeslot would be better spent on a better show. Thankfully, this led to Suburgatory shifting into that 9:30pm on Wednesday slot, a move that should theoretically help the always-improving comedy in its sophomore season.

* You’d think that the timeslot right after one of the most popular shows on television would be beneficial and help other shows grow, but you’d be kind of wrong. Cougar Town, Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 all did fine behind Modern Family, but none of them lit the world on fire, ratings-wise. Apparently people are so jazzed up by the casual racism and sexism of Modern Family that they can’t bear to watch something on ABC right after.

Although timeslots and traditional flow between programs means less in the DVR age, it’s still nice when good shows are given a chance to shine in important spaces of the schedule. Unfortunately, not every good show gets this opportunity. Here are five that deserve better.

1. Parenthood (NBC)

Current timeslot: Tuesdays at 10pm

NBC has done a lot of stupid things in the past five years, but perhaps the most misguided call it's made is clinging tightly to the prestige of the 10pm drama series. It’s a timeslot that NBC made waves with in the 1980s and 1990s but the realities of contemporary viewing habits—the 10–11pm hour is where a lot of DVR viewing happens—mean that the cultural clout isn’t there anymore. NBC hasn’t been able to make a 10pm show work on Thursday forever and for now four seasons, it’s relegated one of the best shows on all of TV, Parenthood, to the same time on Tuesdays.

NBC’s ratings woes and silly planning aside, Parenthood isn’t “a 10pm show.” It doesn’t feature explicit language, violence, or sex. It’s a family drama with great characters and an appealing storytelling engine. Tuesday at 10pm is typically an ultra-competitive timeslot anyway: CBS always has a solid performer there—this season we'll see if Vegas can make it work—and cable nets like USA and FX typically air big shows there as well, which doesn’t help the Bravermans either.

Where should it be instead?
So many of NBC's early timeslots at the beginning of the week are dedicated to The Voice that it's tough to find a spot for Parenthood elsewhere. However, I think it could do well on Wednesdays at 8pm, or even early in the night on Sundays once football ends.

2. Nikita (The CW)

Current timeslot: Fridays at 9pm

I assume most people expected this list to include the likes of Fringe and Community, shows with diehard fan-bases that happen to be stuck on Friday nights. Frankly, those shows belong there. They’ve had four and three seasons respectively to become bigger performers and they haven’t, so it makes sense to me that Fox and NBC would keep and/or put them on Fridays. The rabid audience follows well enough.

Nikita, however, is a show that hasn’t been given as much of a chance. Yes, it aired on Thursdays behind The Vampire Diaries in its first season, but 9pm on Thursday isn’t kind to new shows—especially new shows on The CW (see: The Secret Circle). Nikita did okay on Fridays last season and performs really well internationally (that’s why it’s still around).

Where should it be instead?
I think it could do well paired with a similarly themed show, like the upcoming superhero drama Arrow, on Wednesdays. Supernatural, which is moving from Fridays back to Wednesdays this fall, would do fine in returning to its old Friday slot.

3. & 4. Happy Endings & Don’t Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 (ABC)

Current timeslots: Tuesdays at 9pm and 9:30pm

ABC has an embarrassment of riches in its comedy slate at the moment and with a three-hour Wednesday comedy block out of the question, two sitcoms had to go somewhere else. The net has been trying to build a Tuesday comedy hour for a while (with shows like Last Man Standing, Man Up, and Work It, for example), so it’s no surprise that Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 are now an island there. While I think the two comedies fit together well stylistically and tonally, they are suddenly up against bigger, flashier comedy blocks from Fox (New Girl and The Mindy Project) and NBC (Go On and The New Normal).

Clearly the networks thought that the real estate at Tuesdays at 9pm was up for grabs, but at some point (probably pretty early on), these comedies are going to hurt one another. NBC’s block includes Matthew Perry, a seemingly strong-at-the-start Go On and a The Voice lead-in. Fox’s block features the sole hit of the bunch in New Girl (though its ratings dropped pretty far by the end of last season) and one of the best new comedies of the season in The Mindy Project. That leaves Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B----, which are sandwiched between the Dancing With the Stars results show and the always almost-dead Private Practice, on the outs, probably relegated to DVR or Hulu duty by most people.

Where should it be instead?
This one is tough too (revealing that deserving a timeslot often rubs up against the fact that there simply isn't room). If I had it my way, I'd just immediately cancel The Neighbors and let both Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- rotate in that 8:30pm Wednesday timeslot. They might have shorter seasons in that theoretical scheduling move, but they'd be tucked into a stable comedy block, away from the new comedy war on Tuesday (and other danger spots on Monday or Thursday) and be able to run straight through.

5. Last Resort (ABC)

Current timeslot: Thursdays at 8pm

The Last Resort pilot is really, really good. Like a lot of folks, I’m not sure exactly how Shawn Ryan and company will sustain the narrative as a series, but I cannot wait to watch them try. ABC has done a fine job of marketing the show on ESPN and during sporting events on ABC in hopes of courting some men back to the network.

However, the 8pm Thursday timeslot is just as big of a wasteland is NBC’s 10pm Thursday. Every season, ABC tries to launch an interesting series there, only to have it take almost immediately. Charlie’s Angels BOMBED and Missing tanked there last season. My Generation died there the season before. It was FlashForward the year before that. And so on. Even if Last Resort becomes a great show, the chances it survives are slim, almost solely because of this poisoned timeslot.

Where should it be instead?
See, in theory I love the 8pm timeslot for Last Resort. But it's just that 8pm Thursday slot on ABC that is basically poison. Gun to my head, I'd probably try it out at 10pm on Monday after Dancing With the Stars. Castle is a veteran show that should be able to hold its own somewhere else. In fact, if there's any show that could probably withstand that toxic timeslot on Thursdays at 8pm, it'd probably be Castle. I thought ABC would try to put it there during the Upfronts in May, but the network seems terrified to move anything.

What shows do you think deserve a better place in the schedule? Vote on our picks here and list your own in the comments!

I have to agree with SbastienLezin! BOOO to moving Supernatural to a Friday timeslot! Arrow and Supernatural are a *PERFECT PAIR*, likely to attract a similar audience, and that audience is used to watching CW. Putting those two on Wednesday nights paired together is a great way to reward our loyalty :)

And Nikita has gone so far downhill, that a lot of us have stopped watching it anyway. Friday is fine for it. If it dies, let it go gracefully.
I stopped reading after you suggested that SPN be moved back to its old Friday spot. You see unlike Nikita, Supernatural actually deserves the new timeslot and I think it'll do great there.
Still cant believe Missing was cancelled so early, everyone who actually saw it loved it. One of the few shows i had my non tv nerd friends comment on.
I saw it. I didn't love it. Specifically, I watched the premiere and knew from that alone that I never wanted to see it again. As I recall, most of the comments on this very site were very much full of the not-love.
Ugly Betty survived pretty good on Thursdays at 8:00, specially on its first season, so I don't know why it would be considered a poisoned spot
So did The Cosby Show. Both of these things are ancient history.
Nikita deserves to be on Fri cause in season one it did decent, not great behind the CWs best lead in & was the lowest rated show renewed(Nikita ended season one at 0.7& Life Unexpected got 0.7 in season two but was cancelled,Hellcats ended season one with0.4-0.5 & less than a million viewers).)Nikita couldn't/didn't hold up against major competition on Thurs-Greys, Idol ect. Nikita's going into its third season, it should've found and kept its audience by now but ratings keep falling, it's audience isn't going to grow cause first two seasons are highest rated for shows.It had a small loyal fanbase follow it to Fri but where did the rest of its audience go?Youd think more of its audience would've follow it to Fri. I agree SpN or ANTM aren't compatabile with Nikita but these shows had to go somewhere and Arrow ,a new show would not be starting on Fri.Also with Nikita's awful ratings (speciallyend of second season), it belongs on Fri.Instead of complaining how Nikita has a bad timeslots or isn't liked by CW give thanks to Mark Pedowitz for renewing it even though with its ratings it deserved to be cancelled., thank him for being a Nikita fan cause thats the only reason it got renewed a "pity renwal".Be thankful you got seasons two and three cause you almost didnt and three seasons may be all you get. Im not happy Top Models on Fri but I'm grateful for 19cycles and more if we get more.
Time slots? Bah. Networks need to fully realize the old model of watching TV "when it airs" is no longer king. More and more people are jumping on the technology bandwagon and prefer to watch on their DVRs, on-demand, online streaming, full seasons on discs and whatnot.

I can't remember when was the last time I actually sat in front of my tv to watch a "live" airing of anything but live sports.
Last time I watched a TV show when it aired that wasnt sports...season 5 premier of how i met your mother

but then I decided...."yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum" is much more convenient and cost effective way of watching television (if you know what i mean)
This. So much this.

Networks are stuck in the dark ages if they truly believe that the majority of their audience is coming from live viewing. They need to hop onto the technological bandwagon, allow their shows to be viewed on their websites merely hours after the live airing, and then include ISP views to the over Nielson rating to get a REAL idea of how a show is doing.

Otherwise, they're shooting themselves in the foot anyway. This is the age of convenience, people. And most people find the television to be quite inconvenient except for Sunday nights when you got nothing to do except wait for the dreaded Monday.
Not completely. Notice the number of competition shows on TV these last ten years? When does voting open? When does voting CLOSE? For fans of this type of program, watching live or very shortly thereafter is still important.

Secondly, DVR technology increases by one show per timeslot your ability to watch programs, (Good for consumers) but decreases substantially the likelihood that you'll watch the commercials (bad for ad-supported programming). The advertisers (correctly) assume that DVR viewers are skipping all or most of the commercials, so they don't pay the network nearly as much for DVR viewing as they do for live viewers... which is why the networks focus on live viewership.
The cheapest DVRs can only watch two channels. The best can watch 4. A lot of people I know have one DVR in the living room and one in the bedroom, which again means 4 channels. I don't really have a point, just felt like sharing: If you really want to watch four shows that are on at the same time, this is definitely a thing you can do these days.
actually its a good point I do have two, plus some cable networks reply their shows starting at 11 or Midnight so in theory well its easy to figure out!!
One of the execs on Twitter responded to this idea by pointing out that apparently less than half of US households even have DVRs (this surprised me).

As viewer we rely on the ad model to get free programming. We can't possibly pay for what shows cost. So until they figure out and quantify advertising on demand or on web views, they're still gonna focus on ratings.
We can't? An episode of GoT costs about 6 million dollars. About 3 million people watch it. I think I can swing my 2 dollar portion, how about you? On iTunes, an episode of GoT costs $4 (roughly twice what most shows cost on iTunes).

I am pretty sure that most people are spending more on their cable subscriptions than they would spend if they paid for the episodes of shows they actually watched. Face it, we are all subsidizing the production of crap, and then being force fed commercials and being told we should be thankful.
No, the cable companies can charge less for internet only packages or bundles because the fees for running all the cable lines and maintaining them are spread out among a large number of subscribers.

From this conversation I get that you have one model for how you like to watch television and you think that Apple should be the only one to make money off of it. You didn't cover production, you covered the second season production fees everything gets more expensive over time. No one is making money in your proposition (but Apple) and viewers are paying vastly more for content. What do you do with new content? How many episodes are you willing to pay for of a show you are on the fence about watching? And since no one has any profits, how do ratings fluctuations not kill a show?

You seem to have alot of money to burn on iTunes and at the theater. Not everybody watches TV the way you do. In fact the majority of people don't.
You're confusing packaging with infrastructure. Your cable fees do not subsidize your Internet. You can buy Internet from your cable company all by itself. Or you can buy Internet from lots of other places.

iTunes is not a rental model; I still have access to every show I've ever bought on iTunes. And if you'd followed the math, they charge twice the cost per person of an episode, so distribution is covered (we already covered production).

What you seem to be getting at is that you like the crap, so the rest of us have to watch advertising so that you can get the crap packaged with your Game of Thrones. No, either you should watch less crap, or you should pay for it and stop expecting the rest of us to. I already saw all the movies I wanted to see at the theater.
To be clear, the networks don't make enough on iTunes to create programming. It's a rental model. And many of those "artifacts" are needed even if I want to rent my television from another distributor Apple. My cable line is how I get internet, my fees for internet service are subsidized by the cost of cable. There is a huge production and distribution network that has to be maintained.

It costs $10-20 to add HBO to my cable subscription, for that I can watch all the Newsroom or True Blood or Game of Thrones I want. Or by your method I could spend upwards of $24 for one month of the same programming and I still don't get movies. Which is a better deal?

The advertising model is still the best one around because Coke and Toyota and Apple all pay for me to watch television. A huge portion of TV viewers don't even have cable, don't have DVRs, don't buy Netflix or Hulu+ or Amazon or iTunes. And those viewers are represented in a very lucrative ad model. That's the only way companies are making any money right now. And CBS who doesn't let their content go for free is making more than most. Only a small fraction of the viewing public has moved past watching TV when it's on.
More +
To be clear, all those things you say are not being paid for are unnecessary if you buy the episode on iTunes. They are artifacts of a bygone era. What you are so worried about preserving is overhead and not worth preserving.
We can't. If I had to pay 2, 4, 6, 8 dollars for each show I watched, I'd go broke pretty fast, and I'd watch a heck of a lot less TV. The cost to produce an episode isn't the total cost, I have to pay cable fees and network salaries, and the salary of the guys who come and put the lines back together when a storm knocks the cable out. You aren't making any money in your scheme. Yes, I also subsidize crap, but I get a ton more than I pay for.
every show on your list is fine where they are at!! All new shows are gamble regardless of time slot!! your example Of Charlies Angels is a damn good point which I cant argue!! but I will say l that Charlies Angels was not that bad, it was the concept in how the team were put together that was a turn off for some viewers!!! as for Last Resort you will have Last Resort, Grey;s Anatomy and then Scandal to me that is a Killer lineup but what do I Know!!
Community not in the list = disagree x infinity
Nope. The alternative to the Friday timeslot for Community was cancellation. The fans are very loyal but few in number. That's a prescription for a crappy timeslot.
Totally agree about Nikita. It's frustrating to see the CW treat their best (and best-reviewed) show like crap. The ratings it pulled in its first season were medicore but not terrible, especially considering that Vampire Diaries skewed young and female while Nikita skews older and male. Now it's not only on Friday but got stuck with Top Model (!) as a lead-in, and the CW continues to do nothing to promote it. Sigh. It really is woefully underrated and a lot more people could enjoy it if it wasn't perceived as another lame teen show on the CW.

I also hope Last Resort manages to survive despite the horrible slot. It seems like an ambitious, original show and we don't get many of those on TV, where the same concepts repeat themselves endlessly. I don't know if I'll be watching, but I wish it luck merely since it appears to have a unique vision of the kind we need to see a lot more.
I thought The Vampire Diaries was their best show?
The idea that Nikita is the CW's "best" show is totally subjective, because it's one of their worst rated shows that didn't get canceled. Critics don't sell advertising, viewership does. If it can't pull numbers with the strongest lead-in the CW has, it isn't gonna magically find an audience in its third season no matter what night it's on. Face it, it's a derivative retread of already really well done shows and movies.

I guessing the cost to produce Last Resort needs Thursday ad dollars to survive. If it turns out to be better than the pilot, it will have little viewership overlap with like TBBT, IDOL, and NBC comedies. But it will probably die because it has an unsustainable premise and few likable characters, not because of its timeslot.
You're welcome to read the reviews and see that it's the CW's most critically-beloved drama. And oh yeah, we all know that commercial success=quality... that's why the Kardashians have 10000 reality shows, and the likes of One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl and 90210 on the CW go on for years on end. *eyeroll*

Subjective or not, people who are actually looking for complex storylines, interesting characters, good acting, and solid action sequences rather than romance and soap opera bullshit are going to watch Nikita, not the CW's other shows. And I've already explained that TVD may be the network's highest-rated show, but it's audience is totally different from Nikita's, so it wasn't a good lead-in. And saying it's one of their worst rated-shows, even now, ignores the Friday factor - for the Friday death-slot, Nikita did no worse than most of the CW's other shows on weeknighs (excluding TVD, SPN and maybe 90210).

And if you think it's derivative, you clearly haven't seen more than two episodes. It goes in a completely different direction than La Femme Nikita, the previous incarnation. Also? It's far more intelligent and mature than most action movies out there, with complex themes, plots and characterization instead of just guns blazing.
More +
Your love is subjective. Critical love doesn't equal dollars, and it is also subjective. Critics are people too. Nikita had "cancel it" ratings behind TVD too. You should be grateful that they kept it in any timeslot, because I doubt they will do it next year.
I don't have any idea whether shows work or don't work in different timeslots. I stream my episodes whenever I want, which means that I watch certain shows when I am in a certain kind of mood.

I do have to say that I dislike putting the same sort of shows on opposite channels at the same time. You are bound to like both, but can't watch both. Or you'll switch between them and forget about one halfway through, which I found deadly annoying when I was still forced to watch regular tv.
The reason that nothing at 8pm on Thursday sticks around is because CBS has one of their highest rated shows on at that time, the Big Bang Theory. Nothing can compete with it. And nothing does good on Friday's with the exception of CBS' Blue Bloods.
Parenthood and Happy Endings are fantastic and deserve better slots.
I watch them whenever I want. Pure independence.
Most definitely 2,3, and 4. I always said Nikita should have stayed on Thursday night but oh no CW just had to move it. Am glad Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B are back to back but its on a Tuesday where I watch NCIS LA at 9pm. Since I don't have a DVR, it's going to be a toss up what I watch at 9pm and what I watch on the internet later on.
Maybe if they had Nikita air before TVD then they didn't have to move it. But the same thing could be said for TSC which wouldn't be cancelled if The CW switched timeslots its timeslot with TVD's.
I'm sorry but I disagree with everything you said especially with nikita, supernatural and fringe
I watch tv on my own schedule, I will not capitulate to networks telling me when I have to watch their shows!
I like Go On I hope it stays around anyway I didn't know Supernatural is moving since it's a school nights probably TiVo it for the weekends.
"Arrow" and "Nikita" are a perfect match. They have to pair it. If Arrow is any good of course.

Have to watch Last Resort first but considering the quality of the thursdays' slot predecessors on ABC it might not be the time slot causing the cancellations at all...
Apparently most people who saw the pilot for Arrow had positive things to say, even though I can't remember what exactly they said based on an old EW article but it was only one episode that they watched so who knows.
When FringeFanatic reads your take on Fringe and how it had the chance to establish itself as a show that has the right to be in a better timeslot but ultimately didn't, he's gonna be all over you Cory Barker.
Staff
It's not because of the quality of the show. I love Fringe. It just didn't "perform" in its previous timeslots.
More pointedly, at this point in the series, it isn't going to pick up new viewers in any significant numbers, because the effort required to learn all the backstory is too much. The sole question is whether it can hold onto the viewers it has if it gets put in a weak timeslot. It did, so it got another season.
Parenthood does seem like a Sunday show but NBC has football on instead. About the best change I could see would be to switch it with L&O:SVU on Wednesdays at 9pm, which seems like a better fit for both shows. But I guess NBC feels L&O needs the boost in ratings.

I'm glad to see Supernatural moving off of Fridays. Normally it would seem like a good Friday show but it's one of the CW's best shows and it was getting crushed under Fringe and Grimm. Maybe when Fringe finishes it could move back to Fridays. Nikita deserves to be on Fridays. It's ratings haven't been that impressive.

Any sitcom that has at least a year should be able to hold it's own or it doesn't deserve to air. If it can't draw an audience it doesn't deserve to continue.

Last Resort is in the timeslot it should be in. ABC needs a show to work on Thursday 8pm and it's counting on Last Resort to do that. If the show can't hold it's own it's not a good show. It's suppose to be a big show, it shouldn't be babied. It can't be put on Tuesdays because NCIS dominates the night and much of the audience for this show would be watching NCIS instead. ABC would have to get rid of Dancing with the Stars to put the show on Monday nights and the only other place is Wednesday. So it's not as badly situated as it seems.

I said the same about Last Resort in the comments for the reveiw of the pilot episode, the show is going to be ruined by it's timeslot, it should definately be on at 10 pm.
It's not just the time slot.. but what is on the other networks at the same time that will kill a show. I mean, some new shows will have zero chance against returning favorites but for some dumb arse reason, Programmers will toss a new show to the wolves. Can't just blame the slot for the ratings being low.

I am however thrilled that the networks seem to be chilling out on the kill button when it comes to the Friday night slots. Not everyone is home. But they do have Tivo and DVR's.
A show can succeed against popular shows on other networks, if it's counterprogrammed. The problem arises when two shows are fighting for the same core audience. Sometimes this is poor planning, sometimes it's a deliberate attempt to swipe the audience of another network (DVR blunts the effectiveness of this approach nowadays).
I've always said that Nikita is the most underrated show on TV. It really deserves to be mentioned on this list. For example Fringe is also underrated, but it has gotten attention, and it has a die-hard fan base. Most people are aware of Fringe, despite it not receiving awards or enough viewers. But Nikita has flown completely under the radar. It has a much more adult plot than other CW shows, it is darker and more complex, and the actors are great. It's action packed and they've managed to squeeze a lot of good out of what must be a tiny budget. I've often thought what Nikita would be like on another bigger network with more money to spend. Other networks do not have shows about strong women kicking ass. If Nikita was made in the same was as for example Person of Interest and with the same crew behind the scenes, it would be celebrated and have high ratings. It's sad that Nikita is stuck on CW and Fridays.
I agree with you completely about Nikita. It should have more success and more viewers not just because they have great plots, acting and storytelling but because they portray their female lead as a women who's strong, brave, kicks ass and who would be a great role model for the general female audience that The CW caters towards.
I agree, if POI and Nikita are on the same network and paired together, that would probably be the best combination of two shows ever.

Nikita is not a good show. I thought it was, but second season started to be "how are we gonna stretch the plot in 22 episodes? Oh, that's right! Single missions!"

Boo-ring.
Nikita's timeslot is horrible. Pairing it with SPN made sense, even if it did have to anchor the night but putting it behind ANTM makes no sense. It makes way more sense to move SPN to its old timeslot and put Nikita behind Arrow where it has the chance to grow in the ratings.
Nikita had it's shot. It had a great timeslot. Nobody watched, and the people who did were loyal enough to follow it to Friday night. It's ratings aren't going to improve, it had its chance. It Nikita was on any other network it wouldn't have gotten a third season (or a second), but the CW has low expectations. SPN got moved to help support the launch of Arrow, Nikita can't help Arrow, but a night of guy-skewing programming might. Not to mention that SPN is the second highest rated show on the CW so using it to help launch the new big thing for the CW makes a heck of a lot more sense than dragging down Arrow by putting it with Nikita.
Last resort is a great show??? I think you are jumping the gun.. Pun intended!
Nikita and Community really need new time slots. I can't bear to see any one of them get cancelled because of the fact that they're on Friday.
They're on Friday because their audience is small but loyal, willing to follow to a poor timeslot. A show can last in this situation, IF it holds it's small but reliable audience (Fringe, Chuck) but it will always be in danger if something with a less reliable, but bigger, audience comes along.
Nikita is a great show? lol, sure thing.
Nikita is a great show and it deserves a better time slot. The first season was above average and the second was even better.
if Nikita is "great", what in hell is "Breaking Bad"?
It is a GOOD show, but great is a far stretch. Xander Berkeley IS on a great show, but that is called The Booth at the End.
I had never heard of this show when I read your post. A few hours later, I had watched the entire first season. I watched the second season yesterday. "Great" may be too strong a word for this show too, but I definitely liked it. More than Nikita, I think.

For those who don't know what it is: Every single scene has Xander Berkley (Nikita's Percy, 24's George Mason) talking to someone at a booth in a diner. It's not as boring as it sounds. Each visitor tells him what they want. Then he assigns them a task, typically something rather horrible, like killing a stranger. If they succeed with the task, they get what they asked for. They also come back to him to give him updates about their progress.
Agreed - It's a little underrated. It's not perfect, but for what it is and has been doing, it deserves a better chance.
It is underrated and deserves some more media buzz and attention because it's a pretty good show and deserves more coverage than other crap like American Idol or Whitney.
I do have reservations about the Don't Trust the Happy Endings from the Bitch in Apartment 23 time slot. I LOVE the pairing. I hate that it goes up against that FOX duo. New Girl is okay and Mindy looks pretty bad, but I expect both to attract a lot of viewers. The ratings for Happy Bitch might end up being too low for the network. I like Go On so far, as well, so it's tough that it's going up against all these shows too.

I've never considered Nikita's timeslot to be all that bad, but I guess it's not particularly good either.
The network tried to kill off Happy Endings in its first season with bad timeslots.
I watch all these except nikita or plan on watching in the case of last resort, and I agree somewhat with the timeslots, I will choose these over others but these timeslots are not very good.
I don't think that NBC should have moved Grimm back to Fridays, I think it was fine on Monday. At least I have something to watch on Friday now though since Supernatural isn't on that night anymore.
If they left it on Monday nights it would be up against Castle and I don't think Grimm would win the time slot. I like Grimm, but I like Castle better so I would rather watch Castle. I like Grimm on Fridays because there is never anything good on to watch and it actually gives me something interesting!
This is a hard one. In theory, I agree with most of these. "Parenthood" is one of the best dramas currently on network TV and to have such a poor timeslot is embarrassing, especially considering the lack of wealth NBC possesses in the drama department. I would think that Sunday nights would be the place for this show, too, but "Harry's Law" was quality, too, and it got cancelled there (and I'm not entirely sure why, it had pretty steady numbers as far as NBC goes). If that wasn't an option, even moving it up to 9 PM on Tuesdays I think would be a good move. The fact that everyone is trying new comedies and such there this year is a clear statement that no one's decided just what to do with Tuesdays yet and now is as good a time as any to brand it. And I would move "Grimm" next to it, too. I think those two would work well together in an odd sort of way.

In full agreement about "Nikita". It's a great show, especially compared to the rest of the shows on the CW (TVD is fantastic as well, but "Nikita" probably takes 2nd after that now that they cancelled TSC).

I'm not as fond of "Happy Endings" and "Don't Trust the B****" as others seem to be, though I admit that 3 networks fighting over the comedy on Tuesday nights seems like a big lose situation for at least 2 of them, and possibly all three.

The biggest problem I have with this list is the inclusion of "Last Resort". Admittedly it looks awesome. And Shawn Ryan's track record (see: "The Shield") is SOLID. But to call it a "great show" off the pilot is just too much of a stretch for me. That said, I am looking forward to loving this show.

As for your comments about "Community" and "Fringe", as much as I want them to have the best time-slots, I agree. These aren't shows that got the short end from the start. "Fringe" sat side-by-side with a Joss Whedon show ("Dollhouse", which was treated rather poorly by FOX, stupid FOX), and "Community" was seated at the same table as "The Office", "Parks & Recreation" and "30 Rock", three very solid and well watched (well... mostly) comedies. They just didn't bring in the numbers and that's why they got moved and their fans are and will follow.

I fully agree with your comments about the Thursday night 10 PM slot, and agree as well that "Castle" is possibly the most time-slot immune show on TV right now and would be the perfect choice for that slot.

If there's one show that I would add to this list, it's "Parks & Recreation". "30 Rock" is solid, but on its way out. "The Office" has become pretty bad and is well on its way out. I think that "Parks & Recreation" would work quite well with "Go On", but that's just me.
NBC stated they did not know how to market Harry's Law to the 18-49 year old crowd. A show that starred a 64 year old woman? That was dumb. Bates just had major mastectomy surgery for breast cancer though and that could also have been an issue behind the scenes.
The problem with moving Parenthood to Sunday nights is the competition that is on Sundays this year. ABC moved Revenge to Wednesday nights right after Once Upon a Time. Cbs has the Good Wife on at 9 and then the Mentalist at 10. I love Parenthood, but I would watch 3 out of the 4 shows above before Parenthood if it ended up being on Sunday Night.
The problem with moving Parenthood to Sundays is that it wouldn't start until January. NBC already OWNS Sunday night for the next 18 weeks.
I watch all my tv online, so none of this applies to me personally. Even if I did watch a tv, it wouldn't matter with the ratings since I am not a "Neilson house." Too bad most excellent tv is canceled too early. At least I have another season of Fringe and Community to look forward to...
Watch cw only for supernatural and TVD. Didnt know Nikita was that good... Just thought it was another teen show...hmm maybe i should marathon it
I actually gave up on Nikita early in the first season because it seemed to have these clunky teen elements awkwardly shoved into an otherwise cool premise and it kinda struggled finding its rhythm and tone. The whole thing smelled like network meddling. After randomly catching a second season episode, I went back and marathoned the whole first season. I guess I gave up too early, because it got way better and was pretty fricking fantastic by the finale. (It helped that the teen stuff got jettisoned partway through,) I highly recommend trying it out, just be aware it kinda gets off to a rocky start (I'd almost advise skipping the third episode completely). I started really liking it with episodes 5 and 6.
By the way I originally wasn't going to watch the show because it seemed to be a remake of an earlier show, however I got bored one day had nothing else to watch(or rather that seemed to be worth watching) and started watching...to my surprise I not only enjoyed it but they made it very different in many ways from the original which made it better in some ways then the original...also more fun.

Of the two that are based on a Movie (French) by the title of Le Feme Nikita...each goes its own way and makes its own distinctive mark...go with the newer one, the acting is good and the story just gets better.
You should but be warned its very addictive...
It is definitely not a teen show. The first season was one of the best, fastest moving seasons I've ever seen on TV. Season two was still really good but moved slower.
Nikita is definitely worth a watch and is definitely not a teen show. Well written storylines and great action. Maggie Q, who was trained by Jackie Chan, does the role justice and does most of her own stunts.
The only shows on The CW that I used to just watch was TVD and SPN too until I decided to check out Nikita and it was one of the best random decisions I ever made. I suggest that you check it out ASAP. It's surprisingly good.
Community deserved a slot not opposite Big Bang Theory, but not a Friday-night-timeslot-of-death. BBT's and Community's fanbases probably overlap quite a bit. It's kind of like putting all your genre shows on Friday (or in the olden times, on Saturday) so they all cannibalize each other's audience, repeating the cycle of "see, we had to put it in a poor timeslot, it doesn't draw the numbers!"

Now, if only we could get all the singing competition shows timeslotted against each other, so the rest of the week could be filled with INTERESTING programming.

PS, not quite the same thing, but Archer should have a timeslot for a new episode EVERY WEEK. Also Futurama. A new episode each week for 13 weeks means no new episode for 39 weeks. Unsatisfactory.
I like your thinking and I agree with you that Community shouldn't have been placed on either Thursday and Friday. I think it would've done well on Mondays or Tuesdays.
I think putting Parenthood at 8pm would just be bad. I'm no expert or anything on ratings though. I think people watch the show to relax, especially parents of young kids they'd be still up at 8pm. How could they enjoy it. I watch it live at 10pm, I wouldn't miss it. Sunday and Wednesday just sounds bad to me for this show.
last resort looks dumb.

i kinda agree with NIKITA & HAPPY ENDINGS. although my DVR doesnt really care when they are on, but i can understand it would be better for people who dont have DVRs
I don't have an opinion, but I was just curious, what do people think about Grimm's current time slot?
If you're talking about its normal Friday time slot, I thought it was a good choice. Friday shows are usually not held to as high ratings standards as shows that air other nights of the week and Grimm is one of those shows that, while good, has a quirky premise that usually doesn't get it high numbers ratings-wise. We all know that good shows don't always end up being popular shows.

That said, I agree with Cory's statement that time slots mean less in this age of hulu and DVR. I watch very few shows live. I almost didn't notice Grimm's temporary move to Mondays because I DVR it and would watch it no matter what time it comes on.
Disagree on most of these. Parenthood has thrived at 10 p.m., despite being a family show, and it seems like it would appeal more to an older audience than a younger one. 8 p.m. Wednesday and all of Sunday nights are disasterous for NBC, with shows like Whitney and Celebrity Apprentice filling both of them. Remember Harry's Law...it moved to Sunday, and got cancelled.

I actually like the ABC Tuesday lineup, even if the ratings don't turn out that great. Those shows go greatly together, and just feel right on Tuesday.

I do agree Last Resort belongs after an established show, and Thursday at 8 really doesn't work well.
Parenthood has not "thrived" there, it's mostly NBC's support and luck for it that has kept it going. It's lucky to get over 5 million viewers each week, which for a major network is ls about middle of the road ratings-wise.

Parenthood is good, but I feel the Asperger's kid and the fact everyone seems anxious and worried over most everything has turned people off of it. Time slots are not the only reason a show does poorly. Not sure if moving it to an earlier slot would help much, but probably would not hurt much either.
There is something to be said for keeping Parenthood on at 10 just because no kid would ever be interested in watching it.
I agree with most of this. But to be honest. I am not sure I have actually seen Parenthood.

I disagree with the comment on The Mindy Project. That was horrible.

And Last Resort is too good to be on at 8 on a thursday.
I agree with all of these, they're all great shows but are treated like [insert word for baboon excrement]. Happy Endings and Nikita espescially are awesome, but they don't receive the love. Like Community; I just don't get it.
I agree with you on Nikita...Happy Endings never saw...but if its another fairy tale turned real life type show it isn't really my cup of tea...sorry.
Happy Endings is a sitcom, kind of like Friends but a bit more whimsy, and more funny. Give it try.
I don't buy the idea of "poisoned" timeslots. It's just an excuse for why crappy shows bomb. None of the shows that ABC put at 8 on Thursday have been watchable. People will make time for good shows. The goal of every network is appointment television. Make good shows tell people when they are on and people will watch.
For me is picked up and renewed for a second season Political Animals so needs moving from the 10pm sunday timeslot. It was out on it's own again so many other shows plus it had no solid lead in to help it. I would move it to Thursday's and pair it with Suits going forward.
I'm sorry, I love "New Girl", but currently it's losing the battle. I'm loving "Go On" much more than I realized I would and "Happy Endings" is one of my favorite shows, period. Oh and I agree that "Parenthood" is too good a show to be treated the way NBC has treated it.
I love Matthew Perry so one will definitely be being DVRed because I loved the New girl last year!
happy endings is awesome