50 Women on TV Who Are Funnier Than Adam Carolla

By now you've read the Tweets/Facebook posts/smoke signals about Adam Carolla's recent comments to The New York Post in an interview to promote his new book. But let's summarize for those of you who just put down first and last month's rent for a comfy new spot under a rock. Carolla, the comedian famous for his time on Loveline, Crank Yankers, and *ahem* The Man Show, was asked, "The lesson you learned from a sexual harassment seminar was 'Don't hire chicks.' Do you hate working with women?"

Take it away, Adam!

No. But they make you hire a certain number of chicks, and they’re always the least funny on the writing staff. The reason why you know more funny dudes than funny chicks is that dudes are funnier than chicks. If my daughter has a mediocre sense of humor, I’m just gonna tell her, "Be a staff writer for a sitcom. Because they’ll have to hire you, they can’t really fire you, and you don’t have to produce that much."

Later, he added:

When you’re picking a basketball team, you’ll take the brother over the guy with the yarmulke. Why? Because you’re playing the odds. When it comes to comedy, of course there’s Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Kathy Griffin—super-funny chicks. But if you’re playing the odds? No.

So to quote the extremely funny Amy Poehler during her SNL days, "REALLY?" Who are you hanging out with that you don't think women can be funny? We just finished watching a TV season full of successes that relied on individuals with two X chromosomes! Not only are the women below driving some of the funniest characters on TV today, but many of last season's most notable new shows were created by women—including New Girl (Liz Meriweather), Suburgatory (Emily Kapnek), and Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 (Nahnatchka Khan). So we think you ought to take a look at this gallery of funny ladies from the world of television who make us laugh more than you do. Hope those book sales go well after this interview, by the way.

Women on TV Who Are Funnier Than Adam Carolla (PHOTOS) Psst! Once you enter the viewer, you can navigate through the photos using your left and right arrow keys.

List your own favorite funny women in the comments!

I am not saying I agree with Adam, but your argument is horrible. Your image viewer looks like it just grabbed every female on a successful TV show. And many of them don't write a single thing. Also you even included the women he mentions as being genuinely funny. This article came across more as you guys saying "Adam Carolla isn't funny" than as "Adam Carolla isn't right".
I just got one thing to say...

Who the f**k is Adam Carolla?
I'm pretty sure most of those women actually write the stuff they are admittedly (with a lot of exceptions from that list, depending on taste) funny in. The only reasons I could agree with are Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman (which he stated too) and Kristen Schaal. Great performers and writers, be it stand-up or TV work.

He was talking about writers, not actors. And frankly, there isn't a great host of female comedy writers, especially not hitting the big time. If you want a proper list, though, I could name a whole host of great female writers from the world of stand-up and performing and TV. Though most would go unknown by everyone here, which is a crying shame.....I would start with Megan Ganz (from Community.)
Tons of these women do not write, so they're not really examples that refute Adam's (mostly correct) hypothesis.
Bad article...I'm sorry, but giving a couple of examples (most of which are on scripted shows btw, that doesn't really count) doesn't win you the argument, because for each of these women, there are like 5 men who are just as funny, I have to agree with carolla on this one, when looking at writers at a show and stand-up comedians, most of the funny ones are men
Patton Oswald was on Adam's Podcast probably a year ago or something. He told a story about being in the writers room and one of the jokes they came up with.

A guy is at his buddy's funeral and he has to give speech about him. His buddy died while still owing him $15 and the guy was a little bothered by it. In the writers room one person said $15 isn't a whole lot, but what if instead it was $1,500 that he was owed or more. The joke is suppose to be its only $15, but he's basically out of the money.

These are the writers that Adam is talking about.
Just wondering why the writer of this article couldn't use their name? Did it really take the whole staff to make such a bad article or are they just not wanting to attach their name?
I think it's probably just one of the women, why else would the writer be so offended? But to cover it up, for some weird reason, they probably put the "staff", at least, that's my guess
I think whoever wrote this article is a little confused. There is a big difference between a funny person and a good actress. The actress is delivering lines that were written for them by someone else. I know, I know they have to be talented to have the timing and chops to sell it, and I agree, but as I stated above, that does not make them funny. When my nephews were younger I would feed the jokes to tell their parents, does that make them funnier than me?

Call Adam an ass and I won't argue with you, but tell me that those 50 ladies are funnier is just absurd. Maybe 8-10 of them are truly funny, the rest just deliver lines.
Since everyone else is listing examples of funny women, I want to mention some of my favorites too.

Allison Brie (Community).

Jaime Pressly (My name is Earl)

Portia de Rossi (Better of Ted, Arrested Development).
"Who are you hanging out with that you don't think women can be funny?"

He didn't say anything like that, and what he actually said can't be countered by listing examples of funny women.

The late Christopher Hitchens got similar responses to his article "Why women aren't funny?" This is what he said about that in an interview: "The salad of letters chosen by the magazine's correspondence editors, criticizing me, made me think I could write a sequel, called "How some women apparently can't even read."
This is coming from Adam Corolla? Really Adam? There are five women in my Functioning Mute Support group who are funnier than you. They don't even speak.
It's funny because it's true.

Discounting the argument by finding 33 contrary examples and 17 hilarious misses is exactly the sort of sound logic I expected from this article. Bravo! TV dot com never disappoints.

I just wonder how many know the context of his story and how many listen to his podcast. His podcasts include tons of liberals. Like a guy he admires called ALEX BALDWIN! He has been on his show many times.

As far as the women writers, he got sick of the major production companies insisting they have formulas. And almost every time, the women claimed sexual harassment whenever their ideas were shot down.

Therefore he decided why hire them? Now that he doesn't have to answer to idiot producers, he hired a woman for his cohost BOTH times. He has even given one her OWN show. I bet Allison Rosen gets her own soon.

Ohh, not to mention he raised money to treat his sound mans brain tumor. WHAT A DICK FOR THAT!
Those books will sell. Adam Carolla is funny...his comments were funny. Do we really need to take it this seriously?
So a 'comedian' says something misogynistic that could only cause some offence and debate in public.. why would they do that.

So the media will debate it and their name will be reprinted over n over. Please don't lets all be so dense as to give shameless self-publicity attention without understanding what it actually is.

(P.S. I am well aware of the irony of this post.)
Listen I agree that Adam Carolla says things he ought to regret later (but you know he doesn't) but to be fair he is talking about female sitcom comedy writers not funny women on TV... Some on your list do both but far from most of them. The argument could have been better stated...
Samantha Bee and maybe Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Where are the other 48?
Forgot Wanda Sykes, Margaret Cho.
I love this article.
1.None of those women are funnier than The Ace Man.

2. The Man Show was awesome.

3. Everything MintberryCrunch said.

I think TV.com really dropped the ball on this one.
A large amount of these actresses are just that, actresses. Apart from the occasional improvisation they don't write the lines that they so hilariously deliver, that to me makes this article pretty redundant.

Also you don't seem to have grasped his point that he is saying on AVERAGE there are more funny men than women, something that is most likely true but not necessarily due to men being funnier than women as a rule (which is obviously unquantifiable).

Don't get me wrong I'm not particularly trying to defend this Adam Carolla guy (I've never even heard of him) it just seems like you guys (girls) completley missed the whole point of his statement, which was probably just to help boost sales of his book.

Poor form TV.com
I get the point they're trying to make and I agree with it, but let's be honest here; not all of those ladies are funnier than Adam Carolla. There is a difference between a comedian and a comedic actor or actress.
Maybe I'm a sexist douchebag but I do think women have a more subtle sense of humor. Not to say that it's better or worse but there are a lot less women stand-up comedians, when I can name ten men off the top of my head. Yet there are certain heights of comedy that woman can achieve that men cannot; I think Amy Poehler during her "Upright Citizen's Brigade" days, is a comedian beyond compare. I can understand how gender roles have forced woman to be more savvy when guys can have some low brow counterpart like "Larry the Cable Guy" or can just be out-rightly mean like Don Rickles. Though, when you have Chelsea Handler and Whitney Cummings making shows that try to jump forward but end up taking several steps back for women characters, maybe it's not ALL men's fault.
Lily Tomlin, Duh...
Not on TV.
What's that supposed to mean? She was never on TV? She isn't on TV right now? She isn't funny on TV? In any case, wrong on all counts.
Yeah, what safibwana said. Lily Tomlin has been killing it on tv for decades starting with her groundbreaking work on Sesame St in the 1970s. The woman is an effing genius.
No, starting with Laugh-In in the 1960s, if not before.
And how could you leave off the third member of the fearsom threesome from Big Bang, Melissa Rauch - Bernadette - for pity's sake, she rocks that show as much as the other two...

Penny is OK at setting up opportunities for Sheldon to be funny, but Amy and Bernadette are both so boring that they make the show worse than it would be without them.
And Ellen D...
Joan Rivers still has it and I've seen her live twice and she rocks the joint. She comes out after the warning that you can't smoke or take pictures and says, "F*** that, you paid a lot of money to be here so smoke drink and take all the pictures you want, F*** 'em all...
I know Amy Poehler, I know Sarah Silverman, I know Tina Fey.. but who the hell is Adam Carolla?
Adam Corolla is definately funny, no question about that but funny girls are out there in droves too...
What does that have to with anything?

Judy Tenuta, Kathy Griffin, Paula Poundstone, Sandra Bernhard, Whoppi Goldberg, Marget Cho, Rosie O'Donnell are well known female comedians who suck.

Get hold of Whoopi's one woman broadway show from the 1980s and you will be forced to eat your probably oversized hat.
I don't find most woman comics funny. I'm sure they could be funny but it doesn't appear that men are their target audience anyways.

I think if they did more observational type humor instead focusing solely on their gender (vagina monologues, hey look i had a period, I'm hot and men are so easy control, etc) they would be much funnier to men.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are really the well known comics I can stand. I find Sarah Silverman, Kathy, Whitney, Chelsa all unfunny and obnoxious.

Of the list presented most of the are not as funny as Carolla and most of them are not professional comedy writers as has been pointed out. Not defending what Corolla said as there are a lot of reasons why there aren't many great female comedy writers well beyond the concept that women writers are just not funny.
Maybe he just doesnt understand "chick humor". As for the list I agree with some of the list but alot of the women listed arent that great. Also surprised that the list only focused on "current" female stars and none of the "classics" like Lucille Ball

Wait so is he saying that women cant be funny or that they just can't/have a hard time writing jokes? B/c the list given was just a list of mainly actors and not the people writting the jokes.
What a bad article! He's not talking about actresses but writers. I think you actually proved his point since almost all the women you mentioned are actresses.

The guy is really smart, funny and very politically incorrect.

He's not saying that there are no funny smart women that can write. He's just saying that they are outnumbered by men. It's a matter of history. Women are outnumbered in lots of professional areas not because they are less capable but because of centuries of a male dominated society. Of course things have been changing a lot and I'm sure women will soon catch up (in numbers).

Hey, you forgot his turn as creator-host of "The Car Show", he was hilarious as a cut-rate US Jeremy Clarkson.

Did you know that in the first half of the 20th century, it was Jews who lived in Harlem and played basketball professionally? It's true. So times, like Mr Carolla's line of thinking, do indeed change.

That said, he may not actually be wrong, I've seen other comedy writers say the same thing - men and women both - complaining that there aren't as many female comedy writers and that there aren't as many big-draw female stand-ups due to the quality of the material being put out by the majority of female comediannes. We're talking about ratios, odds, percentages, not about the peaks in the graph but also the valleys.

I do feel this article and list is trying too hard to be making a specific statement, and that by doing so it's actually doing the opposite - now I have to consider whether I actually find Megan Mullally or Flo or even Kaitlin Olson funnier than Adam Carolla, and I truthfully do not (I chose 1 I found exceptionally grating but occasionally a little funny, 1 I found just entirely pointless, and 1 who does a good job on a show I like but isn't actually 'funnier').
Adam Carolla isn't funny.

Neither are Zooey Deschanel or Casey Wilson.
Over his career Adam Carolla (the correct spelling) has made me laugh harder than any other comedian, man or woman. I've listened to all the great comedians over my 30 something years on this planet. Sure Their are 'funnier comedians' than Adam Carolla, but they are preformers. They spend a lot of time perfecting their shows. Adam can come up with funny things off the top of his head, and no other comedian can do that better than he can.
Adam Carolla, Carol Burnett would pwn your ass in a minute if you went up against her. She is the Queen of Comedy in my book.

Some other funny ladies: Betty White, Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan, Estelle Getty, Melissa McCarthy, Mary Jo Pehl (from MST3k), Whoopi Goldberg, Vicki Lawrence, etc...
Sorry, but none of the women that you mentioned are funny. You must be older than me to think that Bea Arthur is funny. Yes, I watched Golden Girls and yes it was funny. The thing is they had writers. The only thing the golden girls did was act and that's not being funny.
Honey, you have a right to your opinion and so do I. If you find them unfunny, that's fine. Go ahead and think that. But I think they did a darn fine job in their acting roles. You DO have to be talented to make the script come to life and actually BE funny. If just reading a funny script made a show funny, then wouldn't EVERY comedy be funny? Writing IS important, but so is the actor's talent. What makes a show funny? Good actors AND good writing.

A lot of comedians, both male and female, have comedy writers or wrting partners.Who knows, maybe some big male comedians secretly have women writing for them? We aren't in that writing room, so we can't know for sure.
You are a complete retard if you think that comedic acting isn't "being funny".
Quit being rude and go on with your life. You uneducated cursing ***.
maybe we are just taking what comedians say way tooooo seriously. If we went and started calling out every comedian for what he says we wouldn't have anyone left.
Ok, I understand where some of the others are coming from in that a lot of the ladies on the list are funny in scripted shows which may or may not be written for them. So how about this one, Catherine Tate. Not only is she a great comedic actor, but she is also a great comedic writer having written her own sketch show a number of years ago. She should most certainly be on the list.
I absolutely hate Catherine Tate. I actually find her material and her acting hard to watch.
He's right, though - most comediennes just aren't funny. Name one whose comedy doesn't rely on crass and offensive jokes in order to get a giggle? And women on sitcoms don't count - their scripts are written for them and all they do is memorize the lines and deliver them. It's one thing to -act- funny; it's something else entirely to actually -be- funny.
Name a male comedian who doesn't rely on crass or "politically incorrect" humour to get a laugh.

And there are tons of female comics in Britain who absolutely fit the bill you are describing. Miranda Hart for a start.
It's funny to me that you make this comment in an article about Adam Carolla. You must be male. Otherwise, it would be genetically impossible for this comment to be so funny.
Nope, I'm female. Sorry :P
.....as opposed to male comics, who NEVER rely on crass and offensive jokes to get laughs.
Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld are the two best at getting laughs without vulgarity...
No, they get crass and offensive too - I never claimed they didn't. But they have other jokes in their repertoire that are actually funny - not crass, not disgusting, not filled to the brim with profanity. For the most part, the comediennes I've seen base their humor almost solely on profanity and jokes meant to "shock" their audience into that sort of laughter that happens when someone feels really uncomfortable.
I can't reply to your last comment (for some reason??). But as for some female comics who keep it (more or less) clean: Kathleen Madigan, Megan Mooney, Maria Bamford, and Anjelah Johnson come to mind.
Sofia Vergara is extremely funny without being vulgar...
You are entitled to your opinion, but I could claim the exact opposite. Most of the male comedians I've seen have at least a 10-minute set that is entirely R-rated (sometimes X-rated, even). It's also not fair to assume that men have "other jokes in their repertoire" and women don't, because I have seen plenty of female comics be hilarious without being offensive.

As a side note, THANK YOU for making an argument in an articulate and calm fashion. I may disagree, but you are light years ahead of some of these other commenters. :-)
Now that I think about it, I can recall one or two comediennes who aren't terribly crass (and many male comedians who are). I suppose it just depends on who you're watching and what set they're doing. And do you happen to remember the names of the ones you mentioned? I'd like to look them up - I can always use a good, non-vulgar laugh!

And thank YOU for being articulate and calm as well! :D
so where are the funnier women on the list, I saw a bunch of ok comedy actress, but Adam Carolla is much funnier then anyone one of those ladies, although he's not as popular, but if you listen to his podcast people who think he's sexist would soon dismiss that, check it out

"Although not as popular." What does that say about this?
I find this kind of depressing because most of the women on this list actually aren't funny at all but since they are not actively unfunny they still rank higher than Corolla so you're technically correct. Being funnier than dirt is nothing to be proud of though. Way to lower the bar.
awkward that i don't know who Adam Carolla is
me neither
You think that's awkward? How's this: I have heard of him, but only because he was on "Dancing With the Stars"!
I don't really agree with Adam Corolla's statement and I don't consider him THAT funny, but the list you've compiled is filled with women I'd say aren't even close to Corolla.
I do agree some of those women are def. funnier then him, but majority of that list is in fact not
Who is that guy? I know Jimmy Kimmel, Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman and Kathy Griffin, but I never heard of this Adam. I thought it was Norm Macdonald
Now Norm MacDonald is funny...
I mean, Jessica Walter alone proves him wrong. She doesn't even have to say anything to be funny, just her holding a glass of wine and trying to wink is funnier than anything Carolla and his staff of (apparently male) writers have ever come up with in the last few years.

Also, Jessica Walter never volunteered to suck up to Donald Trump on TV, so we all know who the winner here is.
I have no problem with Adam Corolla being, well, Adam Corolla. I don't like the vitriol in the comments on either side of the Y chromosome. We are all funny/not regardless of gender. My 2 cents on famous women in comedy is my 2 cents on women everywhere else: needs work. But I don't as a woman want anyone to HAND me a job just because I happen to be female. So I think women comedians will just keep doing their thing and we'll be graced with more funny, and that's awesome
Well, male comediens get jobs handed to them just because they are male all the time. How else do you explain Rob! or Last Man Standing or According to Jim or Two and a Half Men etc? Because all those guys are funny?
Well you can add Whitney to that list, BB.
I have never heard of this guy either but it's he is obviously stating the truth. Yes sure there's some funny female actresses and maybe even stand-up even though I've never seen any with a sense of humour I find appropiate but come on..these days you can't say anything without half of society being butthurt immediatly and using the masochism or race card.

Are men funnier because there's thousands more funny male stand-ups/actors/writers or are thousands of stand-ups/actors/writers funnier because they are men?

Tired of how there's immediatly a witch hunt as soon as a relatively harsh truth is spoken.

Grow up
A) The word you're looking for is "misogynist" (I hope.....)

B) Are there MORE male stand-up artists/actors/writers in Hollywood? Probably (I am guessing, though). Doesn't make them better/funnier/more talented than there female counterparts.

C) "Grow up." After you, Funk3h.
I don't think you understand the definition of the word masochism.
I keep trying to understand that word, FF, but it hurts my brain.
I'd say he's right but I'll probably be seen as sexist for saying so. Never found Carolla funny either though.

If I think of of the funny people I think about stand up comedians, and they are all men. Besides Sarah Silverman, which I don't think is very funny, I don't even know the name of any other female stand up comedians, let alone have been able to sit through a show.

I'm not saying that women can't be funny, but the comedy I like is done by men, I've always found female stand up to be overly disgusting and sexualized, not that some male comedians don't do sex jokes but with women it seems to me always over the top grose.

The women in this list are almost all actresses, I have never seen them being funny by themselves, they are funny in these shows, which are written by other people.

And I simply can not stand Betty White or Tina Fay, if they're in a show or movie I will not watch it, can not stand them.
Four names you forgot:

Martha Plimpton

Jaime Pressly

Courtney Cox

Jennifer Coolidge

Sorry, but I have no idea of who the hell is Adam Corolla...
Load More Comments