63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees

gglobes-2005-title.jpg

It's time again for the Golden Globes! While the Oscars focus on film and the Emmys stick to the small screen, the Golden Globe Awards manage to cover the best of both worlds. Each year, members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association--a group of respected journalists who bring Hollywood news to the rest of the world--vote on the finest offerings from movies and television. The results are announced in one of the most highly anticipated TV events of the year. You can see the entire list of nominees at the Golden Globes' Web site, but we thought we'd tell you about the television nominees right now. Which of these do you think are worthy of a win at the 63rd Annual Golden Globe Awards?

Best Television Series - Drama

Empire Falls - HBO
Into the West - TNT
Lackawanna Blues - HBO
Sleeper Cell - Showtime
Viva Blackpool - BBC America
Warm Springs - HBO

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Halle Berry in Their Eyes Were Watching God
Kelly MacDonald in The Girl in the Café
S. Epatha Merkerson in Lackawanna Blues
Cynthia Nixon in Warm Springs
Mira Sorvino in Human Trafficking

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Kenneth Branagh in Warm Springs
Ed Harris in Empire Falls
Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Elvis
Bill Nighy in The Girl in the Café
Donald Sutherland in Human Trafficking

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Candice Bergen in Boston Legal
Camryn Manheim in Elvis
Sandra Oh in Grey's Anatomy
Elizabeth Perkins in Weeds
Joanne Woodward in Empire Falls

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Naveen Andrews in Lost
Paul Newman in Empire Falls
Jeremy Piven in Entourage
Randy Quaid in Elvis
Donald Sutherland in Commander in Chief

Wentworth Miller is hot hot hot!!! jap.....;P
I hope Huhg Laurie wins for best actor! he's so hot!
Desperate Housewives is a Bitch.
Seriously, how can people find a bunch of sluts parading around in see-through-tank-tops good entertainment?
Lost is a lot more interesting, this show actually has a point and is going somewhere.
Some shows can be based on other things beside sex.
THATS GREAT!!!!!
I'm so excited that not only Weeds was nominated, but that Prison Break did as well. It's fantastic to see so many new faces (or reappearances of old ones) in the nominations. I'm a little upset that Desperate Housewives actresses received so many nods as I don't find the show to have very much merit, but it's really not up to me, is it?

I agree with several of the reviewers that say not many of the shows nominated are of any real substance. There are a lot of quality shows on television that don't get the credit they deserve in lieu of shows that have good PR managers. It's really unfortunate.
Prison Break is the best thing that has ever happened to me!
Prison Break is the best thing that has ever happened to me!
I love prison breaks i don't care what anyone says but they guy who kept complaning a few pages back had a point about the streotypes
Mostly good nominees compared to other award shows, but I strongly agree about the abscence of Arrested Development. Never has a wonderfully written comedy been overlooked. Besides, I don't understand some of the categories. Why Musical or Comedy? There are very few(if any) musicals on TV and all the nominees are comedies anyway. Also, they have two distinct categories for Comedy and Drama, but not for supporting actor and actress which too broadly encompasses not only comedy and drama, but movies and miniseries as well. If they did separate it (and rightly so), Jeffrey Tambor would have to be nominated for Arrested Development. The comic genius that is Tambor over I don't know how many decades of television comedy . . . somebody needs to give this guy an award.
Also, 4 DH nominees is excessive. I guess the nominators don't think much of actresses on television. Antbody from AD deserves it more, or how about Tichina Arnold from Everybody Hates Chris. There are other shows on TV aside from DH.
prison break and lost rulez :P
They have Glenn Close in The Shield and thats not bad, but urg they should of put Vic Mackey aka Michael Chiklis up for best actor.. Personally I think everyone should be, but not everyone can win from the show. When they casted these people they did a great job. Season 4 rocked like its predessor. Im glad Greys Anatomy is in the running and I hope they win. But its ashame that the Shield is not nominated for anything but best Actress
I am just pissed about 'House' not get more then one nomination. That show is incredible. I watch it practically religiously!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Hugh on his nom, but why not a nom for 'Best Drama'... grrr, thats so fricking stupid!!!!!!!!!!
Nip/Tuck didn't get nominated for anything because, quite frankly, this season ****ed. Just because the first two seasons were great doesn't mean that the show should get awards for the crappy third season.

As for House, it should be nominated for best drama, as it's one of the best shows on television.

It's also a shame that shows like Rescue Me and Battlestar Galactica, which put the drama in shows like Lost(which, don't get me wrong, I enjoy) to shame. Battlestar is one of the few Action/Dramas on television that can keep me captivated for an entire episode even when there's not really any action. Of course, the people nomintating shows like that will never get over the fact that it's a sci-fi show, which is why you don't see it being nominated.

And finally, I don't care how good Desperate Housewives is, there are more deserving women on other shows that should have gotten nods in that category. It's completely ridiculous that one show dominates 80% of the nominations for any category. Just adds to the list of reasons why the Golden Globes are worthless.
Come on we all know HOUSE is soo much better then half of the shows listed.

Hugh Laurie should win hands down no questions asked!
Come on we all know HOUSE is soo much better then half of the shows listed.

Hugh Laurie should win hands down no questions asked!
Mmm, adultery featuring hot women and hot guys stuck on an island with polar bears and a button that you have to press or the world blows up. Am I missing something here?
I'm rooting for 24, Rome, and Sleeper Cell.

I just hope Lost and Grey's Anatomy doesn't win anything. Those shows are terrible, IMO.

BTW, what is up with the Desperate Housewives actresses all being nominated in that one category? Surely there must be other actresses worthy of being nominated. I like that show but COME ON.
I Hope that Hugh Laurie will win the best actor for television category simply becoz his amazing actor & hot.
Zach Braff better win. Without a doubt the funniest person on TV.
I thought their best actor in a comedy category actually showed some good taste. I think Carell deserves it the most. That being said, I think John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox on Scrubs) deserves to be on there (he also is a better actor than Braff, IMO). Also I think that Rainn (forget his first name, but the actor who plays Dwight) is very talented, and yes, Arrested Development definately deserved to be sent off with an award.
Plus the 4 actresses from Desperate Housewives all being nominated showed extreme bias by whoever does the nominations (pretty much positive that DH will win every category its in after that).
NOTHING TO DO WITH GILMORE GIRLS? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT?!?!?!?!?!?!
I really hope jason lee wins the best actor in comedy for tv !!!!!
g0g0 weeds and g0g0 Mary-Louise!
I'm glad Jeremy Piven got nominated. That dude's hilarious.
" I must say either you've got no brains or you have not watched the Prison Break from the first episode. "

As a matter of fact, I have watched it since the dvd screener of the first hour of the premiere, and i've watched every episode up until the last one. As a matter of fact (and in its benefit) I watched it in bursts of 5 episodes i had saved up... (which says something: i was never compelled to quickly get around to watching it...

" Also the acting and casting in this serie is very well done. "

You know what? you're completely right, and that's why I had nothing bad at all to say about his nomination for best male actor in a drama, I think he's found a perfect role for himself, and he's come a long way from his buffy swimming reptile days.

What my problem is with this show is not that i am unable to suspend my disbeleif--I can, and I do, or else i would have never gotten to this point--HOWEVER what i do expect out of a show (NOMINATED FOR BEST DRAMA) is characters that develop in a natural and interesting way. These characters personalities were for tor the most part flatly written, and as we got to know the characters better we see them in a light that becomes easy to sympathize with--but it comes out of no where. Ok, they want to get out of the prison so they'll all work together to make it happen, i get that, but the show had the potential to take so many chances and do so many awesome things, yet it keeps taking the easy path. Make me love to hate a character, don't make me loathe one and don't suddenly make a mobster whose done god knows what in his days get my sympathy soley because what? His kids are gonna be killed? No way...when he died he had it coming... a LONG time coming, and when he chose to live the life of a mobster he knew he was putting his family at risk... just because america loves Tony Soprano doens't mean that they can piggyback on that character to get the audience to respond...

Essentially, no one has any good motivation in this show--its not the actors fault, its the writing.... it is just taking aspects from shows that do them so, so much better.

These characters are so cliched, but i don't have a problem with that... as long as the cliches are there for a reason... a statement, a contrast... but a ton of stereotypes thrown in a prison don't contrast, and they sure as hell don't feed off each other.

"In anyway BattleStar Galactia or SG can't match that quality which Prison Break offers."

First off, I don't beleive i mentioned Stargate and in no way did i want to. I don't even watch that show--after discovering galactica I tried watching it, saw the movie and the first couple episodes and was not impressed at all.

Now I must say either you've got no brains or you have not watched Battlestar Galactica from the first episode. Had you have, you would actually be able to point out its flaws... hell even if you saw the movie and the first few episodes you would know that Galactica's drama is so much more human than anything prison break could ever offer. Just saying it can't touch its quality doesn't tell me anything... you don't even tell me what you DO consider quality, at all.

If you're a fan of BSG then you really are missing the whole point of the show. Before I get into that, i gotta ask:

shouldn't a tv show be created because it has an endless honey pot to draw from?

That's the thing, now its VERY different when a show is created to appeal to many people and get great ratings than when a show is created for a purpose--its got a story to tell and characters you don't want to let go. I don't care about the characters in prison break, when they die all I see is a gimmick and economical reasons.

Now a fan that gets Battlestar does not watch it for scientific qualities, as a matter of fact, now that i think about it--it has no scientific qualities what-so-ever. Everything in the show is familiar, or has something it parallels in the present... I mean for gods sake, the ship isn't even networked, for security reasons... episodes deal with issues one would expect would be of concern in this type of time of crisis--they need water, they need land, they need fuel, they need to find earth, they need to have faith in something or else why go on floating around in space for god knows how long.

BG is a show about ideologies, and above all its a show that has more political commentary than anything on TV that tries. Prison break never strays from its formula, but battlestar gives us something unique each week... an episode seen largely through the lens of a news crew with unrestricted access makes the viewer see what the other civilian survivors think of, and how they perceive, the military... by doing this the show makes a genuinely effective statement about how the public perceives the government and military during a time of war--with a closing montage that is one of the most eloquent speeches about what it means to be patriotic.

Does prison break in all it's 'quality' have anything remotely similar to this? No... as a matter of fact its the polar opposite. It shamelessly takes advantage of the countries current skeptisism towards the government and makes them look like bumbling idiots for no reason other than they beleive its what the people want. There's nothing complex here.... they hunt, they kill, they try to silence, they screw up... OVER, AND OVER AND OVER, and then a murderur decides "hey, maybe i don't care enough about all this stuff to start killing people." it seems we're supposed to feel sorry for people just because they have families (That they put at risk with every conscious decision they make). He went good, yeah, but show me something interesting... let me see him go straight to Larry King and let the whole cat out of the bag.... but no that would make too much sense and progress the story in too interesting a way.... show me that he is proven innocent after they've escaped... show me them run from the very people trying to let them know that they're off the hook... show the brother suddenly released but Michael stuck in prison... ANYTHING, ANYTHIGN... but no, what do we get, an alley, hiding in shadows and a lifelong (apparently) friendship (apparently) ended for a very, very unconvincing reason.

Lets the jail function as a microcosm of society... don't give me racial stereotypes... the southern pedophile, the black gangsta babies daddy, the innocent and mumbling mexican romantic, the mobster with a french accent, the **** whose a fish out of the water--all of these had opportunities to be used for something, but they're just there cause they have to be... it could have taken SOOO many directions... and it doesn't.... hell, if its gonna be unrealistic and not care that's fine by me, but show me something unrealistic that is actually interesting, like the **** assimilating with the black crowd, where they school him on what it is to be black, and what earns their respect...anything, i don't care, even a scene where he jumps into a flow and stumbles up...works for a week on a rap, and once he's got it memorized he's stabbed--now THAT would get a reaction out of me... i'd be all "but i wanted to see him impress everyone with the flow".... i think you get it.

I could talk forever--i've written papers for class about this, so i just gotta shut myself up, but i think it's clear that I know what i mean when i say prison break couldn't touch BG.

What I want to make clear is that EVERYTHING above is said with me keeping in mind that these people claim to have legitimate awards--and thats an important thing... the really great shows need every ounce of help they can get, especially when their ratings are low and the networks are taking enough of a risk by letting it stay on the air....giving these spots to shows that are really good pop-shows doesn't say anything about the medium, and won't progress it until great shows get cancelled while shows that win awards flopo soon after receiving them, or being nominated (i mean honestly, could desperate housewives or prison break really last 4 seasons without getting either redundant or rediculous... great shows should last long...)

Why do i care? cause its the end of my semester and i'm in paper writing mode and i need a break that won't kill my momentum.

"I'm also glad to see Wentworth Miller on the Best Actor category."

me too.

i think that once again the voters for the golden globe just like the emmys have messed up. How can an average show like desperate housewives sweep the nominations while shows such as the gilmore girls, house, arrested development etc don't get a nomination, except for hugh laurie which was ofcourse deserved as he is briliant as dr.house. I think that prison break is a very good show but its only had thirteen episodes so far and shouldnt be nominated for this years awards. Also where is terry o'quinn's nomination, he's brilliant as locke in no. one show lost!
I'll say only this: this promises to be interesting.
NO 24?!? I can maybe understand Prison Break being on that list but LOST and Grey's Anatomy? LOST is the most overrated show on tv.

It is going no where but people are so caught up in it that they invest their time trying to find out every detail that means nothing; and Grey's Anatomy? Wow.

To those asking this is for 24's 4th season. Season 5 doesn't even air until Sunday, January 15th.
24 not nominated for best series WTF??
I really happy with the DH nominations. People may even think the show is overrated, but the actresses do an amazing job, especially Marcia Cross and Felicity Huffman. I can totally see why they were nominated.
I'm also extremely happy that Mary-Louise Parker got a nod! She's amazing and I'll be just as happy if she wins!

I also don't get why AD wasn't nominated for anything. It's quite unfair. They should've at least made it to the supporting category and Jason Bateman should have been nominated too.
You people are HUGE haters!!! Desperate Housewives is still great, but people are just used to the flawlessness of season 1.

I do admit though that Kristen Bell should've been thrown a bone in that drama category over Polly Walker.

I'm also very happy for Everybody Hates Chris (yes, UPN, you've finally made it!). I've been defending this network for so long. I've believed in this network from the very beginning of it (1996) when Moesha hit the air. It took 9 seasons, but they have the breakout critical hit that they've been needing.

No Tichina Arnold? That's just sick.
woahhh no CSI!??? AND NO HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
I can understand that 24 didn't get a nominee for Best Drama series cause the fifth season doesn't even start in US. But how come Kiefer Sutherland got a nominee for Best Actor in Drama series for 24 (and for which season - 4 or 5 ?). Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Sutherland and 24...just a little curious, that's it.
I understand that 24 didn't get a nomination for Best Drama Series 'cause the fifth season doesn't even start in US. But how come Kiefer Sutherland got a nominee for 24 (and for which season - 4 or 5 ?). Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of 24 and Sutherland... just a little curious, that's it.
Thats not really fair they just have the same shows in all the categories and why do they have 4 out of the 5 in the actress category all from Desperate Housewives, i mean i like the show but thats dumb, they should only be allowed to have one per show. so many other good actresses didnt get in that category because of that, there are ones that are better than them. And where is Veronica Mars? Gilmore Girls?
What! where is Lauren Graham!
And how can all DH have nominations thats just ridiculous they don't deserve them well not all of them.This ****s
Ohh and where is Kristen Bell!
I am so happy with Lost and DH (but not a shocker)! Gilmore Girls got snubbed again( another no-shocker)! I am espically am glad Eva Longoria finally got nominated!
Anything Rome gets my vote this year- what a great show- hard to believe none of the actors from Arrested got nods...
Oops... and more props for Entourage and Jeremy Piven. I love that show! Cheers also for Everybody Hates Chris, My Name is Earl, The Office, Lost, and Grey's Anatomy. Oh, and Zach Braff for Scrubs. (Sheesh, I have much love this year!)
Congrats to Glenn Close for her Best Actress, Drama nomination for "The Shield"! I've got my fingers crossed!!!
I like Naveen Andrews but what about Josh Holloway for Actor in a supporting Role in a Series.
Marcia Cross and Felicity Huffman should both get an Emmy, and I hope they both will.
Where is arrested development,the best comedy series on tv, for god's sake!!!!!and how about will and grace...it has been nominated since 6 years in nearly every category.and now suddenly they ignored it,just to nominate some dull and childish new shows.drama category is like a joke too.just because there are some new shows doesnt mean the old ones are bad.i dont even talk about overrated desperate housewives.I hope mary louise parker wins.i really wanna see that 4 housewives' faces if she wins.
no 24? Veronica Mars? and Terry O Quinn?, no Arrested Development?
too much DH
I was not surprised to see LOST get a nom for Best Drama, though I was a little shocked when I saw that Matthew Fox got a nom for Best Actor in a Drama; it's been a long time and many awards 'til he got this nomination for his stunning job as Jack. He REALLY deserved it! Now, I wanted for Josh Holloway and evangeline Lilly to be nominated, but I guess I have to be satisfied with my favourite LOSTie Naveen Andrews getting a nom, his second big one this year. But I still have to say that I really don't like the fact that FOUR Desperate Houseviews-actresses was nominated -- in the same category! They're NOT that good!
No CSI this year huh?

oh and as far as this:

Marcia Cross in Desperate Housewives
Teri Hatcher in Desperate Housewives
Felicity Huffman in Desperate Housewives
Eva Longoria in Desperate Housewives
Mary-Louise Parker in Weeds

I sooooo hope Mary-Louise wins!
I'm so rooting for Mary Louise Parker, if only so none of the wives can win
"Its an insult to quality television to call Prison Break one of the 5 best dramas of this year"

I must say either you've got no brains or you have not watched the Prison Break from the first episode. Even the first episode was something different, something very very unique and good. Also the acting and casting in this serie is very well done.

In anyway BattleStar Galactia or SG can't match that quality which Prison Break offers. Obiviously this honey pot is not endless like in pointless evergoing sci-fi series. (Note: I'm also huge fan of BSG and SG, but never the less. It's some kind of riddle that comes with scientific orientation)

I'm also glad to see Wentworth Miller on the Best Actor category.
Load More Comments