7 Shows That Deserve a Second Chance in 2017

2016 was filled with plenty of television highs, but that doesn't mean we didn't have any TV gripes this year. In fact, we have plenty. But there's a huge difference in being disappointed in a series and cutting it out of your life forever. Because at the end of the day, if you're watching a show, it's because you love it - or at least you once did. And just because a show may have had a bad season or seemingly jumped the shark, doesn't mean you should give up on it just yet, because buried underneath all the weird plot twists and chair murders, still might be that show you fell for in the first place.

Here are seven shows we're giving a second chance next year.

Mr. RobotAfter its critically-acclaimed first season, Mr. Robot's sophomore run was plagued by pacing problems and anti-climactic reveals. (The prison reveal, in particular, was wheel-spinning at its worst.) But even within this disappointing season was a very good show that simply needed a better editor. There were so many moments interspersed throughout the 12 episodes that were so beautiful, exciting and impeccably executed that they more than earned enough good will for us to keep Mr. Robot's DVR series pass.

UnREAL: The problems with UnREAL's second season were massive and numerous, so rather than dwell on the past (the police shooting! Quinn's infertility! Literally everything that happened with Rachel and Coleman! The mother f---ing double homicide!), let's do our best to focus on the future. Shiri Appleby and Constance Zimmer's performances are still some of the best you'll catch on TV, and now that new showrunner Stacy Rukeyser has taken over, we're hopeful that Rachel and Quinn's relationship will once again get the attention and care it deserves. And in what should be a very fun mix-up, Season 3 will also show us our first female Everlasting Suitor. All in all, there are enough changes both behind the scenes and in the show's format to warrant another chance.

You're the WorstIf you were let down by You're the Worst's third season, you aren't alone. Particularly when compared to the heart-wrenching second season, the storylines just fell flat. And yet, we applaud creator Stephen Falk for the way he took risks this year, giving us an entire episode without any of the four lead characters, the impressive single-take wedding episode and, of course, breaking up the central couple after the most epic proposal of all time. That's why, despite some of the issues with Season 3, we're not ready to quit You're the Worst. We're far too invested in Gretchen (Aya Cash), Jimmy (Chris Geere), Lindsay (Kether Donohue) and Edgar (Desmin Borges) to not see what they'll do now that they're all on their own, and we have full faith in Falk that he'll payoff our goodwill and more.

EmpireWhen Empire first debuted, it was a pop-culture phenomenon. But sometime during its second season, this over-the-top soap opera began sliding off the rails. And this year, it became a full-blown train wreck thanks to the introduction of Ghost Rhonda. But let's get real: After watching Andre (Trai Byers) engage in a threesome with an aspiring singer and the ghost of his dead wife, we think it's fair to say Empire already hit rock bottom. That means, there's nowhere else to go but up! And we just aren't ready to cut Cookie (Taraji P. Henson) out of our lives just yet.

ScandalNo matter how corrupt or crazy the political world of Scandal got, we always had our White Hat, Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington), to guide us through. Unfortunately, Liv officially lost all White Hat privileges after she beat a disabled man to death with a chair. Was Andrew the absolute worst? Yes! He had her kidnapped in order to start a war! However, squashing a man's head like a grape crosses a line Olivia can't come back from. But if Shonda Rhimes can bring Grey's Anatomy back to greatness after the disastrous Ghost Denny season, anything is possible.

DaredevilAfter an incredible first season, Daredevil Season 2 burned us; it burned us bad. What is Black Sky? What was that giant hole for? Does anyone actually remember the Blacksmith? Why wasn't there more Foggy? The over-stuffed season was a confusing slog to get through that left us with far more questions than answers. However, Daredevil still has so much going for it, and maybe now that it won't be so preoccupied with establishing the Punisher, Elektra and the magical ninja collective the Hand, it can get back to what this show does so well: telling a relatable - and comprehensible - superhero story.

The 100During its third season, The 100 faced more than its fair share of controversy over the deaths of Lexa (Alycia Degnam-Carey) and Lincoln (Ricky Whittle), and the season finale left fans with a bad sense of déjà vu. (How many times can Clarke save the day by pressing a button or pulling a lever at the eleventh hour? Apparently three and counting.) But now that we've officially put the mind control to bed and the (slightly depleted) gang is back together and ready to take on a nuclear meltdown, The 100 seems to be preparing for another hard reboot. So let's let go of the past and enter Season 4 with an open mind, because it just might surprise us.

Gifs via Giphy.

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Jan 11, 2017
I gave up on The 100 when it turned from a sci-fi thriller into Dawson's Creek. It's not like it's going to stop being a teen high school drama based in the jungle.
Jan 04, 2017
Season 3 of You're the Worst was great!
Jan 03, 2017
SCANDAL Better still be on the air!!!!! You are big idiots if you take it off. I'm really sick of shows starting and then getting the ax after a short time. Just when you get hooked, it's gone & some idiotic show like ( the Simpsons) gets put on. Just an example of an IDIOTIC show.
Jan 03, 2017
Disagree completely on The 100 and Daredevil being on this list. Season 2 of Daredevil was (imo) even better than the first. The Punisher absolutely NAILED it, plus they even got Elektra and The Hand correct.

I understand not everyone is familiar with the comics, but trust me on that. As for The 100, the season was good but there was no way it was going to beat the awesome second season. I think that's where the issue lies.
Jan 03, 2017
The controversy surrounding killing Lexa off The 100 was ridiculous, she had another show and she couldn't do both... I actually liked season 3 of You're The Worst more, they spent way too much time with depressed Gretchen that it made the show less funny.
Jan 02, 2017
Mr Robot is a confusing, way over the top, artsy fartsy, bore fest. I will watch the first episode of season three to see if it makes any sense at all. If it doesn't, I'm outta there. Daredevil Season two was great, so, nobody's watching it? You're the Worst has some great moments, but it can be a bit off sometimes. As for the rest I don't watch them anymore.
Jan 04, 2017
Not true, I love The 100 too.
Jan 04, 2017
I hate how a lot of the scenes are shot off-center - the characters will be like in the lower right corner of the shot and we have a great view of the wall behind them. I gave up on this show after it was revealed Mr. Robot is all in his head.
Jan 03, 2017
"Mr Robot is a confusing, way over the top, artsy fartsy, bore fest."

That's a great way to sum up Mr Robot. I gave up early on in season 2.
Jan 03, 2017
I stuck it out and was less than dazzled. It's basically about just how nuts Elliott is, and who cares. You like him, but, again, who cares.
Jan 02, 2017
All these shows are fine - stop trying to stir up controversy with your click bait bullshit tvguide "article". Ugh - this site has gone to shit ever since the tvguide fuckers took over... :(
I agree
Jan 02, 2017
Why wasn't Walking Dead there? The show's predictability, obvious plotlines and snail pacing is pushing it closer to being played on UK's Dave channel
Jan 02, 2017
No shit - the one show that truly has jumped the shark - nuked the fridge - whatever - but damn Walking Dead needs whole new showrunner, writers, style, everything. #BringBackDarrabont
Jan 02, 2017
Just that Daredevil Season 2, in its worst moments, is way better than 95% of the other shows (and I am not talking about shows listed here) ...
Jan 02, 2017
Yes, it was. Good chance it will get even better. However, Travelers must be given a second season. This was so incredibly well done and since they left us with a cruel cliffhanger, they better. If not, we will make sure that Netflix powers that be will be overwritten!
Jan 02, 2017
Also, Daredevil won't be returning in 2017, so not sure we can give it a second chance this year.
Jan 02, 2017
I think they all but spelled out that The Black Sky is Electra and a human body that can play host to a demon.
Jan 01, 2017
No,it ain't happening. Not only did The 100 deliver a terrible season (so much wasted potential) but it also manipulated its fans. While Lincoln's death was awful and unnecesary, Lexa's death was the one that ruined its chance. Since the show started, they "accidentally" released pictures of Clarke and Lexa in the season finale, assuring themselves a regular amount of rating given that she was a fan favorite and that she was, apparently, going to see the end of it. When episode 3x07 aired, its creator made sure everyone was watching to get his show some more hype since it wasn't doing very well without the "guest star" factor (aka those episodes where debnam-carey was nowhere to be seen) and,after promising a hundred times (no pun intended) that she was not going to be killed, he (surprise!) killed everyone's favorite character right in front of their faces. Sure, characters die all the time, but giving the fans false hope in order to get themselves a fourth season is truly awful. So no, The 100 does not deserve a second chance.
Jan 02, 2017
Waah, get over it. The 100 is a lot more than the Lexa and Clarke Show.
Jan 02, 2017
It is not. That's why I also mentioned Lincoln's death. It was just that Lexa's had the most impact. I would have been just as pissed if they had done the same with any other character. it is not about the character and its race/gender/sexuality but about what the character means to the fans and how it affects their lives that are pretty much real.
Jan 02, 2017
Doesn't that just speak to the strength of the writing if they were able to create a character that resonates so much with the fans and has that much meaning to them? Like...I would think if a character dying *didn't* have any impact, that would be a sign of a show failing. Like, to compare it to another death in that season, I really didn't care about Monty's mother dying, although even that I'm willing to acknowledge that some impact, since I think it was really more about how we felt for Monty after having to do that as opposed to caring that his mother died. But then I would also argue you still should make us care more about that character to better relate to why it was such a big deal to Monty.

I can understand being upset if there was anything misleading. I only follow the 100 community on here, so I must have missed them teasing/promising Lexa would live. While I don't think it necessarily ruins the show, there's no denying that's a pretty stupid thing for them to do. Especially since there was a lot of speculation about her status after getting booked on Fear The Walking Dead.

That isn't to say the season wasn't without issues beyond character death. I do think it was the weakest of the three seasons overall, but eh, I don't think it is without the chance of redemption. I'll still be tuning in for at least the first couple of episodes, we'll see what happens after that. If this ends up being the last season I honestly won't complain. I don't know how much more they can really introduce without completely turning into a different show or just running into the problem of having the same plot threads over and over again.

More +
Jan 02, 2017
The issue is not her death. Characters die all the time! The thing is they misled their fans, going so far as getting into lgbt blogs to promise that Lexa would live, when they had no obligation to do so. It would have been a different matter if they had killed her without ever saying anything that would hint to her being alive.
Jan 01, 2017
They 4Got 2 mention SPN /TWD/JJ/LoT/Grimm/AHS & Arrow?
Oh I know!
It's because they don't deserve redemption/:
Jan 02, 2017
I think it's more a couple (most?) of those shows are ongoing. But yeah...I'd also argue some of them are beyond redemption.
Dec 31, 2016
The 100 is incredible. S1 starts out all teen angsty, but if you hang around it becomes this post apocalyptic wonderland that just goes from the frying pan to the fire. It's wonderful. Highly recommended. Nothing happens that you can see coming all that far off. Especially deaths.
Dec 31, 2016
Daredevil Season 2 was INFINITELY better than the borefest 1st season, just like Jessica Jones was, just like Luke Cage was, just like every single season of Agents of SHIELD was, etc etc.

Clueless, douchebag "critics" one again proving they have the absolute worst taste/zero clue in actual quality.
What a shock! HAHAHAHA
Jan 04, 2017
The Punisher was awesome. The ninjas were... not.
Jan 02, 2017
I mean, yeah, anyone that has a different opinion than you do about a television show is clearly a douchebag. It's almost like television is an entirely opinion based medium.

That being said, IMO DD season 2 was an overall step down after the second half. I must admit, I do find it interesting that your offering praise for it not being boring. My biggest issue, and one of the issues brought up during the reviews on here, was the stuff with The Hand in the second half of season 2 was boring and uninteresting, and the season ultimately ended in an anticlimactic nonresolution. I think it stands out in comparison to the season 1 ending that managed to wrap up the plot threads for that season while also propelling Daredevil into really embracing his role, and even setting up his influence for the next season which tied into the Punisher arc in the beginning.

I will admit, the first season of DD does start off slow. I don't think it was bad by any means, and I do think it's engaging enough on a first watch not to notice from the start. But rewatching it before the second season I definitely noticed how some of the early episodes dragged. In comparison, I do think season 2 had a much stronger start. I almost wish the season had been split, since I don't think it was necessarily a mistake to delve into the Hand, I mean, it is a huge part of DD lore, but it felt like it should have been it's own season and not tacked into the middle of this one.

I think it was also just at odds with the start of the season. Introducing Punisher really hit the dark/gritty style of storytelling, which was pretty in line with the first season plot, which was mostly a mob story. Yeah, there were some more fantastic/comic elements too, but I mean...it is a comic based show, that's to be expected. But introducing ninjas and prophecies right in the middle of that was just kind of jarring, especially while still also trying to focus on Fisk and Punisher in prison.
More +
Dec 31, 2016
well since a couple of these shows did not get cancelled ,i'm not sure why they are on this list.or is this list a second chance for people to actually watch them. i'm confused by this title. i know DD is not cancelled,either is empire or Mr robot.

Dec 31, 2016
It's about the former. We've already had an equally stupid post about 8 shows that might get cancelled and need support.
Jan 02, 2017
i call it - the TVguide stupidity effect - this site has been so dumbed down over the last year it's not even funny.. remember the really in depth reviews and analysis of great shows like Hannibal that used to happen here? Well - NEVER AGAIN - this site has effectively been destroyed. We're the leftover turds in tvguide's toilet...
Dec 31, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Jan 02, 2017
Indeed - this is a clickbait article - expect a lot more of this shit now that tvguide runs (ruins) this site now and there are no more in depth review here at all.. fuckin sad..
Dec 31, 2016
Daredevil second season was awsom I donn't know what your talking about
Dec 31, 2016
I gave up on The 100 five episodes into season 3, I found I just didn't give a rats arse what the next drama was going to be. I was actually halfway through the episode & suddenly thought "you know what, I just don't frickin' care" & switched it off.
I loved Daredevil seasons 1 & 2 so no giving up on that one for me. Mr Robot confused the shit outta me but I still kept watching & still kept loving it & will continue to keep on keeping on.
I've never watched an episode of any of the other 4 shows & out of those 4 I'll probably only watch UnReal at some time in the future, the rest, meh.
Dec 31, 2016
The season finale of S3 lays the groundwork for 4 and it's a real "holy shit" moment in the end. You're missing out.
Dec 31, 2016
I gave up on the 100 around the same point.
Sense8.

The first season was a bit of a slog, highlighted by moments of greatness. Unfortunately, the Christmas special doesn't look to necessarily speed things up. But if season 2 spends less time on setup, and more with moving the plot along...
Dec 31, 2016
"Daredevil: After an incredible first season, Daredevil Season 2 burned us; it burned us bad. What is Black Sky? What was that giant hole for? Does anyone actually remember the Blacksmith? Why wasn't there more Foggy?"

WHAT. MADNESS. IS. THIS?!!! Daredevil season 1 was a boring, slow grinding yawnfest with a cheesy looking patchwork suit reveal at the end as the payoff. The ONLY reason I managed to get through it was because I was a fan of the comic book as a kid and because there was nothing better to watch at the time.

I had ZERO interest in watching the second season.

Then the amazing Jessica Jones debuted, getting me excited about comic book series again and then right afterwards, Season 2 of Daredevil premiered

So, out of sheer morbid curiosity and with the halo effect of Jessia Jones, I tepidly watched the first episode of D.D. season 2 and HO-LY CRAP.. The show caught FIRE!

AMAZING writing, fantastic new characters, fascinating storylines.... a TOTAL redemption of the flaming bag of poo that was the first season.

And you think the 2nd season was BAD and you're pining away for more screen time for dough faced Foggy?

Clearly you're not the demographic for THIS show. Maybe the Vampire Diaries is more your speed. Stick to reviewing that crap.

Yeesh...
Dec 30, 2016
There must've been a time when TVGuide cared for other's opinions, rather than just their own.
Jan 02, 2017
Yeah it was just last year - look up the Alexa rankings for this site - you'll see that around May when tvguide started their takeover of this site that the site visits here started dropping, and dropping, and dropping.. what a disaster tvguide has turned this site into.. there's no way to take this site seriously anymore - which sucks cause many of us put in many hours worth of reviews and discussion here.. :(
Jan 03, 2017
I don't like the way the chart looks on the Alexa website. TVGuide really killed the site and drove people away last year.
Jan 04, 2017
Watch out they're deleting accounts of anyone who's critical of the site now, had my account 12+ years.
Dec 30, 2016
This article is equally as bad as the one asking to support eight shows on the bubble.
Dec 30, 2016
I think season 2 of Daredevil was so much better than first one. The first one boring me to dead (three weeks to wacth it); the second one saw it in two days!

The 100 was always Clarke and 99 (and counting down) more. What do you expect from season 4?
Dec 30, 2016
No. Fuck the 100. Fuck that loser of a producer who thought lying to the viewers was a good idea. Fuck the writers who went along with it.

They used Lexa to drum up viewers, because no one cared about yet another teen drama from the CW. Except making Clarke Bi got coverage. The crazy chemistry the two actresses got covered.

So that dickhead Jrat used them to get another season, because god knows they were 'this' close to getting cancelled before hand. Then they leaked pics of Lexa being in the last episode, leaked video of the sex scene between Lexa/Clarke, and purposely lied to viewers who had asked about the awful 'bury your gays' trope.

Not to mention he had a writer go into a LGBTQA board to drum up support for the ship, and the show.

Then he killed her. A handful of LGBTQA teens committed suicide, the writers spent days, DAYS, tweeting links to suicide prevention phone numbers, the Clexa fans raised 70 thousands dollars for the Trevor project, and media took a shit on the show for 10 months going. Hell, their still shitting on the show.

Then Jrat has Lincoln killed off because the actor and he were having issues. And nothing says 'lets be the bigger man', like making a character get on his knees and shot to death in the mud.

So no. Fuck the show. Jrat is a human stain. And unless they can pull a miracle out of their asses, they can't....we already know Clarkes getting a ground boyfriend & Raven dies....so no, this shitty season will be the last.

): )
Dec 30, 2016
Why would I give up on Mr. Robot, UnReal, Daredevil or The 100? What are you guys at TVGuide smoking?

Idiotic article lists good shows which maybe didn't have as great a season as the previous one, highlight the bad aspects they see, and then asks us not to abandon them.
OK, wait for my article indicating the reasons why you shouldn't give up on TVGuide yet. You'll "love" it.
Jan 02, 2017
I was surprised with some of the mentions. Like you said, I do think some of the shows on here didn't necessarily have the best seasons, but I didn't think they necessarily had bad seasons, and that's speaking from opinion as well as just based on the general reception they seemed to have gotten. The 100 is really the only one I can think of where people said they were done with it, but I mean...that was in the middle of the season, and they kept returning every episode to say how they were done with it.
Dec 31, 2016
I want to know the reasons why you shouldn't give up on TV Guide; I can't think of one.
Well, I'm stuck!
Jan 04, 2017
Every account linked to a critical comment re tvguide.com in here has been deleted, disgusting behaviour.
Jan 04, 2017
Oh, just read your message. The situation is worse than I thought.
Jan 04, 2017
You mean the TVGuide accounts have been deleted? Because my tv.com one hasn't and I only write critical comments. Whichever the case, yes terribly disgusting.
Dec 30, 2016
A second chance for Scandal? this should be fans' 5th chance at most - terrible show

i don't know how the season pans out but the death of Lexa is surely the only reason season 3 of The 100 was reviled by fans - popular character deaths equate to ridiculous fan outbursts and trolling (look at Grey's Anatomy)

Daredevil - more Foggy someone asked..... Really???? - the characters in that show are so weak but i do admit that Foggy was a positive in it's severely overrated first season - but season 2 Foggy was a whiny little bitch and anyone who wanted more of that clearly wants to submit their audiences to torture - but yeah, i agree, the season sucked balls - season 1 wasn't that good but it blew season 2 out of the water - The Punisher arc was the only interesting arc and even that lost steam during his incarceration - Elektra's arc was just awful

Dec 31, 2016
The big reveal at the end of S3 is worth watching the whole of S3 of the 100 for. Talk about going from a bad situation to worse.