A&E Cancels The Glades

It's a sad day for whoever it is watched The Glades. A&E canceled the series after four seasons today, says The Hollywood Reporter, less than a week after the Season 4 finale notched a season-high audience with 3.4 million viewers. Cruel! The Glades was an initial success for the network and was the first A&E scripted series to get a second season.

Created by Clifton Campbell, The Glades was about a detective from The Windy City who took a job with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement looking for a paid vacation in the sun. But little did he know that people get murdered in Florida, too. That, and alligators. Matt Passmore and Kieli Sanchez starred in the drama.

The announcement comes just a day after word got out that A&E was about to renew Longmire. With The Glades gone, the only original scripted dramas on A&E are Longmire and Bates Motel. But soon it will be three again; the Chloe Sevigny-starrer Those Who Kill has been ordered to series for debut in 2014.

I'm stunned that this show was cancelled, I started watching it on netflix and when I got to the last show and check to see if there would be another I was speechless and thought what a stupid way to end, one of the best series I've seen on Netflix, again I think you folks at A&E made a mistake and I'm starting to hate watching series on netflix that all of a sudden end with last show series that abruptly stop!
Stupid for canceling "The Glades" series! I'm mad it was cancelled
Really......and this is how you end it. Shows a lot of respect for the loyal viewers. One of the rare shows I enjoyed watching.
"REALLY" There are so few shows that I enjoy watching, even though I pay for a couple hundred. You don't even get a full season anymore and the hiatis seems to be longer than the programming. I am quickly being weaned off from tv and when my 91 yr old mother no longer needs it I will be cancelling my tv services. I don't know who the networks are programming for, but it seems like they are going for what they can produce for the least amount of money and effort. I wouldn't be surprised to see television stations go away during my lifetime. They are being very short sighted by not paying for quality shows just so because they can make a better profit off the crap they are replacing them with. Between crap shows and the fact that reruns are shown more often then new shows doesn't keep viewers. I'm not even going to start watching their new shows since as soon as I get interested in them, they will be cancelled. No point in getting invested in a show if I am going to be left hanging again like they did with Glades.
My husband and I discovered The Glades on Netflix last spring and tonight watched the final episode of Season 4- not realizing it was actually the FINAL episode of the show. I ran to my computer to find out about Season 5 and SHOCK! No Season 5! What in the world are you decision makers at A & E thinking??? You clearly had a hit show with MILLIONS of viewers but that wasn't a good thing to you??? Wow! You blew it big time!
Sorry that all you have to say. what the hell man never leave a show with a cliff hanger if you going to cancel it. what next you going to cancel bates motel. this is why i don't put up with A&E you guys are always canceling the good stuff and leave the boring one on air you could have keep that Breaking bad Pice of crap show hours of my life i will never get back.
I can't believe A&E would cancel this show. I'm waiting on an announcement of when the summer premier would be to later find out it won't be. I only watch this station for the glades now I have no reason to watch at all.
I agree! I'm so sorry it ended and plus to leave us hanging with Jim getting shot before his wedding. That really sucked!
I agree!!! How can they just cancel the Glades? Why couldn't they at least give us an ending? A&E obviously don't care what the people that actually watch this channel think.
I just realized that The Glades has been cancelled. That is ridiculous. I'd rather watch The Glades than that stupid Duck Dynasty show. At least the Glades had substance. Now we'll never know if Jim survived the gun shot wounds. And they were about to get married. I cannot believe the networks. The cancel good programs and renew stupid crap!
I am sad that the glade will not return. I so enjoyed that show. Please bring it back....
Somehow I Missed the August Announcement Canceling The Glades So I Have Been Waiting Impatiently For The Summer Season To Start. You Lost Me And My Family Of Faithful Viewers.
I remember when A&E actually stood for Arts & Entertainment. Now it's all stupid reality schitt. Now I find out that one of the only two shows I watch on that channel has been cancelled and without an ending! Way to go A&E. I guess Longmire is next.
I can't believe that they cancelled "The Glades"...It was a really good show!!!! You made a big mistake A & E!!!!! You can keep your other shows!!! I won't watch any of them!!!
Seems a well-acted, classy show like The Glades always gets the axe while a poorly acted grinder like Longemire gets renewed. I guess the worst part of this fiasco is leaving gorgeous Matt wounded and bleeding on the floor.. did he live? Did the marriage ever take place? Who shot him (ex husband)? Could have at least wrapped it up in a final three or four shows.
A&E needs some new people in your marketing/research department. Cancelling a great show The Glades was downright dumb. The people deserve better than to get hooked on a great show, be shown a cliff hanger ending and then drop it. Bad bad mistake. You can keep your Duck Dynasty that is another fake familiy petending to be something that others want to watch. Well I don't..................
who are the people who came to the decision to cancel The Glades? whoever you are you needed to believe in the fans who watched every week. the fans were the proof that should have let you know not to make such a major decision to cancel. from what I see on these comments you have recently lost many viewers and once the word spreads I can only hope many more will follow.
What a sad mistake A&E made. This show was the bright spot in my dismal summer t.v. viewing. I was so excited to see the 2014 premiere after the last finale.
I agree this is a GREAT series and if a network picks it up they will do well! What a way for it to go though! I really hate the stupid network decisions. I refuse to watch any A&E now because even if you like the series they do not care.... you will be left watching the story cliff hanger and then never any closure. Why watch all the seasons in order to understand what the story has going on just to never get a good ending. Dexter at least ended poorly but Glades ends with a mystery shooter as the main character rolls on the floor bleeding to death and his woman (ironically a doctor) calling for him right before their big wedding!?!? Great call A&E thank you for letting us all know how worthless you all are there at calling the shots! I do not care what you get to replace it I and hopefully everyone else will not bother to tune in!
SO NOT HAPPY. I Love this show, and at least had something to watch on that night of the week. NOW they cancel it and it is the only show worth watching on A&E. Longmire sucks to no end. and I just never heard of the other one. I tried to watch Longmire, but really, it is so not worth it. very boring in my opinion. And i will so never watch Duck Dynasty. I agree with Bluedogbad, at least finish the story. We have to know if Jim dies, do they get married, etc, etc. Had me sitting on the edge of my seat so many times.
I really liked The Glades also but I also liked Longmire and will miss both of them very much. I agree that The Glades left us hanging and I will also not watch Duck Dynasty. I do not understand why people love this show so much unless it is for their hot looking women.
We are so disappointed! This is an awesome show, with awesome characters. At least have the decency to solve the cliff-hanger. Have been waiting to found out if Jim was found in time and who shot him. Also they could have at least let them get married and live happily ever after. I hope another network picks this up and continues it. A & E doesn't seem to get it, even with the Duck Dynasty fiasco !
Well that's just mean... not like you can even pretend it had some sort of a wrap up with that season finale cliffy. I wanna know who shot him, he obviously lived, he was the star... well... not anymore anyways. Guess he's dead..
let them finish the f....... story frist , like who shot him , dose he live
They going to cancel a show that have 3.4 million viewers it's last show of the season but yet they will keep shows that nobody watches kinda makes you wonder what kind of people they have running A & E well I guess if the glades is not coming back neither am I thanks a lot
This really sucks I liked this show I have the first two seasons on DVD . I guess I want be able to get any more. They could have at least did a fifth season so we all would know who shot Jim and if he lived to get married is that to much to ask .
Sooooooo shocked The Glades has been cancelled...watched it from day 1 and always
looked forward for its returned. I thought the cliff hanger ending of season 3 was a sure thing
for another season :-(....a lot of angry fans with A & E....why doesn't the network shit can some of those stupid reality shows. On the other hand, glad Longmire is returning.

well said and in agreement.
This is ridiculous!!! This is the only show I watched on A&E. I will no longer be watching your channel. I can't believe you are leaving us without closer
Are You Kidding Me? Cancelling this was a mistake!!! Bring it back...Now.
A&E YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved the show. Can't believe its cancelled.
Why would you cancel such a great show?! At least give us a final season to give closure!!
I did enjoy the show. Even went back and watched all of the first 3 seasons to catch up. No reason has been given for the cancellation! Did something happen? A&E does not have very many good shows anymore, so when they get one, they cancel it -- how does that work. I have separately contacted A&E to protest. Needless to say, no response.
A&E network execs are dung beetles!
Yea I thought that was a really crappy way to end a series that was in its fourth season. I could understand if it was only the first season but some fans including myself have been watching the series for four years now, and to end it without them getting married and him getting shot in his supposed dream house wedding gift to his wife. I think a made for TV Movie to rap things up would win some people back for A and E fans.
I am so sad! How can they leave it that way, after the season finale of season 4, it is actually really mean! 😞I really enjoyed that show! It really sucks!
And they keep garbage like American Idol, The Voice and other reality garbage on TV. It is hard to find a good scripted television show these days and when they do happen the dumb@ss tv execs find a reason to cancel them.
can't believe they're going toleave us hanging; if they want to cancel they should make sure all matters are settled. hope another network considers picking it up
Is that possible for another network to just pick the show up and keep it going like nothing ever happened with the season getting canceled.
Yes it is possible. It has happened with several series in recent years.
They should have given the show enough of a head's up that they could have wrapped things up instead of leaving us with that cliffhanger.

Now the least they could do is give us a TV movie to wrap things up, or, like tvguy007 says they're handicapping their own DVD sales, cuz who's going to invest in something that's so ... unfinished.

Ugh, what a slap in the face to those of us that watched from the beginning...
I have never understood why cliffhangers of abruptly cancelled shows are not resolved on the DVD/BluRay release. Seems like a natural sales hook to me! I realize a new script and production of an episode cost $$$, but how much are distributors losing in sales by having to sell a series with an unresolved ending?
Exactly, isn't this covered by the concept that "you have to spend money to make money".
this had a really good starting point and was actually very watchable, until they actually tried to get the viewers buy the fact that a nurse could become his partner out on the street. was good characters and buyable plots but the whole nurse partner thing just killed the whole show for my wife and I.
Someday TV execs will realize that cancelling a show that ended on a cliffhanger kills the show's appeal. As such nobody is going to re-watch the series, nor recommend it to their friends and family, much less go out and buy every season on DVD. Ending the Glades like they did kills the show's appeal, at least give the shows your about to cancel a little heads up so they don't end them like this, killing their appeal to be re-watched or passed along to others.
Thank god it is canceled! This "detective" is the most annoying and disrespectful guy ever on television.. If this character was for real he would have been shot long time ago.
if you don't like the show and don't watch a show thin why do you care if its on or not? some of us loved this show, just because its not your cup of tea doesn't mean you need to s%$@ on it. you cant watch every show on tv so whats it matter to you? REALLY? go back under your bridge troll.
Boo hoo... are only sad stories allowed on how the big bad A&E cancelled a show? I say A&E well done and also for giving Longmire another season!
I am so pissed that they cancelled it after they give us a great season finale cliffhanger
They cancelled on a cliffhanger?!! Bonehead move, A&E!! This was a good show. Finally, the drama about will they or won't they was dying down and they were about to tie the knot! Grr. LAME!!!
I never watched the Glades, but I know how it is to have a show you like cancelled, leaving everything up in the air. Golden Boy anyone? In fact, sometimes even if I think a show will be good, I hold off the first year just to see if it survives. If it does, I catch up on DVD, should have done that with Golden Boy. I do watch Longmire, very good show, excellent cast. Very pleased it is likely to be renewed.
I didn't like The Glades either and I'm afraid I agree with the comment above that the detective was awfully irritating -to me at least-. But I don't understand how the channel lets the producers finish with a cliffhanger without warning there is no next season? i find this totally disrespectful towards the audience, the crew, the actors...(In the case of Golden Boy, it was kind of the same, but everybody knew it wasn't returning, regardless the quality -and decent ratings. And that was a really great show!) TV, like every other industry, should respect some rules. LIke show some consideration towards the customer!
Happy about Longmire!! Low key, beautiful, well acted.
A&E can piss off. That was the only thing i watched on that network. I hope you bankrupt.
This is so, so sad! When Jim was shot, first in the back then again when he turned around, I was thinking this could kill him. I was wondering what would happen next year, but I guess it doesn't matter since A&E decided to kill the show. Did A&E hire their execs from FOX? That's the network that comes to mind for killing shows halfway through a season. Ever heard of Wonderfalls or Firefly?
A&E sucks....
I THINK THAT THE LEAST YOU COULD DO IS HAVE A TV MOVIE TO GIVE THE FANS AN ENDING AND TIE UP LOSE ENDS. TO END IT THIS WAY IS AN INSULT TO THE FANS OF THE GLADES BUT TO CONTINUE LONGMIRE INSTEAD WHICH IS NOT NEAR AS LIKEABLE AS THE GLADES
This comment has been removed.
Yes to that!! ^^^^
i liked his show and for you out there are like, he was a dick or i don't like the way he did thing, guess what, if you watched it for 2 seasons and then couldn't take it, you are not very good at paying attention, his character was the same from the very first episode. And whether liked or not, if a show goes 4 seasons and even has a 1% chance of being cancelled, do not end it on a cliffhanger, that is just stupid. It isn't even like you needed to explain the ex and what he was doing, let the wedding end the episode and be done with it. Hell, having the Ex show at the wedding would of been an annoying but tolerable ending of a cliffhanger, but leaving the main character shot, come on.
this is crap there is no closure
Whether you liked the show or were on the fence, I think we all agree that it's tough to invest four years into a show and then have it canceled without any true closure. There's a bit of a growing trend, on other networks, to give longtime fans some closure when they want to remove a show from their network; as was the case with Fringe, and as will be the case with Nikita. Clearly the execs at A&E either aren't familiar with this trend, or don't care. I was going to check out Longmire, but the lack of foresight by the A&E execs soured me on that. Without a proper closer for The Glades, I won't be catching up on any current, or future, A&E shows.
Longmire is a great show, even better than The Glades, and it ended on just as much of a cliffhanger as The Glades. It was not a slam dunk for renewal either in terms of its huge but older demographics. What is it with this network with their incredible, heart-pounding cliffhangers and the chance of no closure?
Load More Comments