A Bones Spinoff May Happen

... Fox is developing a spinoff of Bones! OMG! Show creator Hart Hanson would mastermind the spinoff, which will focus on the yet-to-be-introduced character Walter Sherman, aka "The Locator," who knows Booth from previous work. The idea would be to introduce Walter in an episode of Bones later this year and then start the new series the following season. Do YOU like this idea, Bones fans? [Deadline Hollywood]

... Battlestar Galactica is no stranger to spinoffs, standalone movies, and prequels, and is expanding its universe with Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. The series will begin with a two-hour pilot and follow William Adama in his 20s. Oh boy do you think Edward James Olmos will play him? [Syfy via press release]

... Fox has ordered two more scripts of Human Target, a good sign for the action series. CBS has also ordered two more episodes of Rules of Engagement, a bad sign for everything else. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Hulu Plus, Hulu's plan to shake all the loose change out of our pockets for something that should already be free, bombed. Even though Hulu said demand was wayyyyy high. The company tried to charge $10 for the service, which opens up the library of online television episodes and has other perks, but is now considering cutting that price in half. I still won't pay that. Nice try though! [Media Memo]

... The Wire's Gbenga Akinnagbe (you remember him as the gunman Chris who hung with Snoop) is joining Showtime's Nurse Jackie. He'll play a temp nurse for a minimum of seven episodes. From Baltimore gangster thug to male nurse... nice one. [EW]

.. Lone Star creator Kyle Killen still thinks his show has a chance at surviving even though it was canceled two episodes into its run. He's hoping he can sell it somewhere else, just as Southland was rescued from cancellation by TNT. Good luck there, kiddo. [Wall Street Journal]

... Kristen Davis of Sex and the City fame will star in a new NBC sitcom called The Happiness Project, which is based on a book of the same name. Davis will play the lead, a woman who goes on a quest to become a happier person. OMG that is sooooo Charlotte! [The Live Feed]

... And finally, the coolest news ever: Jeremy Davies, the genius who played the genius Daniel Faraday in Lost, has joined the cast of FX's Justified. *picks jaw up from floor* Davies will play Dickie Bennett, a longtime rival to Raylan. Oh my gawd I feel like screaming like a teenage girl. [The Live Feed]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I like Bones alot been watching from the start because of David Boreanaz and i like crime dramas so i'll give any spin-off a chance. I don't know the books it'll be based on but I hadn't then and still haven't read any of the books Bones is based on. I'd look forward to this more than another BSG spin off as so far Caprica hasn't grabbed me or the Criminal Minds spin-off it it happens or another CSI much as i like them. Spin-offs can work CSI MIami & NY, NCIS from JAG NCIS LA from NCIS sort of but my fav spin off is definitely Angel from Buffy but for the most part they would seem to be networks looking for what they hope will be a show with a built in audience.
I think its just an strategy to present a new series more than a real spinoff, so the series could be good or be bad no matter if this is a spinoff or not
I sure hope that lone star gets its lucky break. I was really in to it. The show was very interesting. The plot is excellent. I am still confused as to why it got canceled in the first place. It would be a waist if the story remains untold.
Spinoffs are in general a terrible idea. They rarely work, and only when a character is liked by the audience, and they would like to see another series with that character and the same theme as the one which ended. Buffy -> Angel is an example. It's not enough to just like the character they want to use for a spinoff. People want to feel like there is more stories to tell, that the first series could go on further. No matter how likable the character in Bones is going to be, I don't think people want to see additional seasons revolving around the same theme. Even if the new series revolved around something else than forensic science, e.g. the FBI (the name suggests someone who is very good at finding missing people, dead or alive), people are going to know it was a spinoff. And we all feel spinoffs are essentially made to squeeze money out of a popular series, nothing else. Honestly, it always makes me sad to read stuff like this. Why Hart, why? Why would you as the creator of a successful series sink this low? But I will be fair and judge the series after I've seen it, if it ever becomes reality. Who knows, maybe he manages to create a second really good show.
A Bones spin-off based on a yet to be introduced character? They tried doing that on House but no one liked him enough. I doubt it will work any better with Bones than it did with House.
I hope this means there will be at least a few more seasons for Human Target. I'm highly skeptical about a Bones spinoff...
I stopped watching bones after season 3 'cause for me that ending was just terrible!!! I tried to watch it again later, but it just became too boring!!! So, not excited at all for a Bones spinoff!!! Oh, and I'm super excited about Human Target!!!! :D
Bones spinoff = bad idea. stick to putting all effort into one show
HULU needs to improve HULU desktop and streaming to full screen then eliminate commercials for PLUS improve content and Quality before I would even consider signing up for a paid version.
The creator and the network is using a successful show to launch another. This is not a spin off . I stopped watching Bones regularly when it jumped the shark (for me, at least) in season 3.
I stopped watching Bones because it has became boring. This show was good for two or maybe three seasons. I'm not sure if I would watch a spinoff.
Everyone CAPRICA is awesome, if have to be patient with it, it moves very slowly kinda like in my opinion The Vampire Diaries, TVD was very slow to me until the last our to six episodes of season 1 , season two has been awesome, so a second BSG spinoff Basically inbetween Caprica and BSG would be okay only if things pick up on Caprica, now a Bones spinoff would be awesome but with on request that thier would be a bit more cross overs than normal and for HUMAN TARGET EVERYONE WATCH IT GREAT SHOW PERIOD one of Foxes best
@hockey9927: I know what you mean (and I agree), but Angel from Buffy is not the right example; he was part of the main cast for every season until he got his own show, and he was very involved in all the storylines until they started separating Buffy and Angel in order to make it possible for the Angel character to move away and get his spin-off. I don't know if yours was an expansion of my earlier post, but I had a problem with the fact that a character is introduced *after* they decided on a spin-off. I don't know about the NCIS-situation, I never watched NCIS or JAG.
OMG! Really? OMG? Seriously, though, don't play with me about BSG. Aside from the hokey ending, that was a great series. Can't get into Caprica, for some reason, so I'd love a chance to watch a young Adama.
I think the Bones spin off could be a good idea if done right. A spin off does better if it's based on a fringe or new character then if you just snip one out of the old show and give it a new one. NCIS is a spin off of JAG, Angel from Buffy they did way better then ones such as Joey from Friends.
about f'ing time for bones,sweet. And sooo happy for Human Target
@Akyriel: stop getting your panties in a twist - it's not like you're telling us anything new or something, about major networks not able to take criticism... Just write a blog so I can circumvent reading it.
I'm not a Bones fan, but isn't the idea of a spinoff that people want to see producers expand on characters already in the show and getting their own spotlight? This just seems like a shameless one episode-promo for a new series that has nothing to do with Bones itself.
Who cares about the Bones spinoff? Producers never learn... People watch BONES because of the characters...if not it's like every other damn CSI franchise out there. It worked for CSI because it was new and fresh and awesome. It worked with NCIS because a lot of people watched it. It will fail with Bones unless the character they're bringing is awesome.
Another spinoff? Really? I'm skeptical, especially if it's a Bones one. The show is great, it does not need a spinoff. This is ridiculous. Can't they just think about original ideas instead of just creating spinoffs after spinoffs? This reminds me of NCIS: Los Angeles which, in my humble opinion, sucks. I just don't want that to happen to Bones.

And as gmx13 put it, there's no Bones without Dr Brennan!
Bones spin-off? What's to spin off? I guess it would have to be a new character because frankly, I don't see any of the regulars carrying a spin-off. I would like to see all of them go on to something new and different though...when the time comes, that is.
Another BSG spinoff? YES, I actually started rewatching BSG yesterday, and I also still like Caprica, unlike a lot of BSG fans, so this is great news, especially seeing as Adama in his 20's would be around the time the first Cylon war took place. And wouldn't it make sense for James Bamber to play Adama in his 20's? Seeing as he was his on-screen son and all. Or they could go with Esai Morales, who is Adama's dad on Caprica.
BSG: Blood and Chrome - is that a joke? If not, it's a pretty dumb name. Agree with Blue/Guardian about Zach - they said that he never killed anyone, the squinterns suck except for being able to perv on Wendall. Bring Zach Back! And seriously, aren't spin-offs about people we already know who are so awesome they deserve their own show (or the creators think so). I won't be watching, thanks.
I'm not sure how making another BSG spinoff is a good idea when Caprica has been a ratings failure, and in the eyes of many fans like myself, just a plain let down.
I don't see how you can make a complete spin-off from Bones with a character that hasn't even been introduced yet. LOL Plus, the major appeal of Bones IS Bones. Without her, there is no Bones.
I just want to see Zack Addy back to the show for a couple more episodes. I don't care about a spin-off right now...
The Bones spin-off isn't definitely happening yet. Fox is only throwing the idea around. However, I would be for the idea if the character is interesting and none of the current series regulars on Bones leave to join the spin-off because I like all the characters on Bones and don't want them to leave.
Re: Bones - I'll have to reserve any comments until after I've "met" this Mr. Walter Sherman, and see what, exactly it is that he does. I will say, however, that is the Spin off means seeing more Booth and possible Dr. Sweets sinc they are both FBI agents, then chances are I'll be all for it.

Re: Human Target - Yay, for more scripts. I like the show and look forward to seeing more.

Re: Hulu Plus...ummm no! I don't pay for it now, and I won't pay for it later. Re: Justified - I've never watched Lost and never will, but the fact that Justified is coming back another season (or more) makes me very happy!!!
I like Spinoffs, so yeah I'll give "The Locator" a watch.
I do not like the idea of a Bones spin off.
Your name is Tim....why do you talk like a brainless, teenage girl? Well, write... whatever, you know what I mean.