A Chris Meloni-Free Law & Order: SVU May Just Be a Good Thing

Who would have guessed that Special Victims Unit would be the last Law & Order standing? The thirteenth season of Dick Wolf’s sex crimes-centric procedural debuted Wednesday night with some questionable cast shake-ups. The most significant? Christopher Meloni’s off-screen departure after twelve years as Elliot Stabler.

The Law & Order universe is no stranger to cast changes; the original series concluded with an entirely different roster from when it first premiered. But consistency has been one of SVU’s strongest assets over the years—sure, the co-stars have come and gone, but stars Meloni and Mariska Hargitay were solid. The chemistry between Stabler and Benson, the frustratingly platonic, perfectly balanced lead detectives, was as important as the cases of the week.

Not anymore: While Stabler’s presence was felt in Wednesday’s season premiere, his permanent absence was confirmed by episode’s end. No, he’s not dead, but he quit, which is almost as final. Those of us hoping Meloni might find his way back onto SVU should probably accept that the ship has sailed. Which is actually okay. I’ll miss Stabler, but it’s not as though his role in recent seasons made SVU any more of a success. The series was growing stale, and if a cast change is what it takes to freshen it up, so be it. Meloni’s decision to leave may not have been welcome, but it could very well prove beneficial in the long run.

I say that because “Scorched Earth” was one of the most solid SVU episodes we’ve seen in some time. The case, inspired by the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case, was captivating, the interplay between characters was interesting, and the emotional moments hit home. Just as we didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to Meloni—no one knew last season’s finale would be his last episode—Olivia didn’t get to say goodbye to Elliot. Her quiet breakdown felt both appropriate and in character. The show must go on, but she can’t just ignore being separated from her partner of over a decade.

But out with the old, in with the new. We met Detective Amanda Rollins, played by Chase’s Kelli Giddish. She didn’t make all that exciting a first impression, but I welcome the addition of another female detective. I just hope the rumors of a reduced role for Hargitay’s Benson don’t come to pass—I like the idea of these women working together, not being interchangeable. Next week, we’ll meet Danny Pino’s Detective Nick Amaro, who is stepping into Stabler’s shoes. Honestly, I’m not sure either of these additions were necessary: the season premiere’s strengths were in its returning characters, not the new blood.

In addition to regulars Richard Belzer as Sgt. Munch, Ice-T as Detective Tutuola, and Dann Florek as Captain Cragen, we saw the return of ADA Cabot, played by the awesome Stephanie March. (Next week, it’s the equally great Diane Neal as Casey Novak.) Now that our favorite duo has been split up, these prosecutors may be the most compelling reason to continue watching the show. Not to mention the addition of Linus Roache’s Cutter, the best Law & Order ADA since Jack McCoy. Familiarity is what SVU needs to carry us through this transition, and they could not have picked better people to join the fold.

No matter what diehard Meloni fans think, SVU was long overdue for change. And if change, in this case, means a return to what made this series great in the first place, I’m all for it. Besides, if I start to miss Stabler too much, I can always turn to the many networks that air more SVU reruns than there are hours in a day. Elliot will always be in our hearts—and on USA.

It's 2016 & SVU still hasn't found a replacement for Stabler. Ice-T is still cool though. I have to assume Meloni was getting sick of playing a good guy, because his voice & likeness became the villain for the Black Ops 3 video game.

Y'know, The Blindspot is kinda like a cross between SVU & The Blacklist. Kurt Weller reminds me a lot of Stabler, & Taylor Shaw is like a blend of Elizabeth Keen & Olivia Benson, with the Fulcrum tattooed on her body.
I missed Stabler at first but I could care less. I think they should get rid of Mariska along with her whining little speeches. Drives me nuts with her self righteous bull shit. The constitution is good when it suits her needs.
I miss ELLIOT & if Olivia leaves...I am done
The only good thing about the show now is that Mariska Hargitay is still there. Her and Meloni made that show what it is. Benson and Stabler belong together forever. I wouldn't even still watch it if it wasn't for MH still there. It sucks with out Meloni and her together. If she left it wouldn't last one episode.
I love Stabler but that fact has nothing to do with what I am about to say... I hate Nick Amaro. It's nothing against the actor, I actually like Danny Pino but I think Amaro is to hot headed and he is about to explode at any moment. I must admit Rollins does get on my nerves sometimes. I also think they are pushing Munch out, he doesn't have much to do with anything anymore and I absolutely LOVE his character. I liked season 13 but not because of the new cast, because of the interesting cases they dealt with and the fact that they showed a little more of the victims lives and they shows Olivia at home a little more. I wish they would bring back Charlie Tahan as Calvin Arliss. I like seeing how much Olivia cares about him and how she can step into the mother role so easily.
well i totally disagree i miss him so much,his vibe he brings to the show,the close relationship he has with Olivia Benson, i miss that,since the new season and i learned he was gone i haven't watched not another episode. i miss him and i know a lot of fans do as well,there's no one who can play his role for him,we look forward to see him react violently to child molesters or the soft spot he has with kids until it brings tears to his eyes.no amount of money should have to make him not be on the show,because he's totally worth it and more.

I liked this last season of SVU alot. Stabler got boring and he draged Benson down too. It was time for a change imo. And the change was good. Amaro & Rollins were great new additions, I especially enjoyed seeing Fin & Rollins as partners. Hope the new season will be as strong as this last one.
While I love the duo of Benson and Stabler, the show wasn't just about them. This show takes stands about real issues. It defends those that are defenseless and brings to light problems in our world that we didn't even know existed. It can continue to do so with one strong lead character, Olivia Benson. She can carry the show with Amarro, Rollins, Ice-T and Munch as strong supports. I think the episodes this season were powerful, even without Stabler. This show doesn't need him to continue fighting for justice.
I agree. The show really needed change. I haven't really been much impressed with the overall episodes throughout the past three seasons. Though the animal smuggling, CIA killing and Lost's Naveen Andrews' episodes were exciting, but not really SVU episodes. They were episodes meant for NCIS and CSI (since the latter exists in a world where the crime lab and crime scene investigators are thought to be sworn and armed police officers/ models). There would be a rape or a body showing signs physical and sexual torture, but that would lead to a case about the meat-packing industry or Immigration which would lead to the Last-Minute-Real-Killer. There were so many twists in SVU in the past three to five years, it was as if some of those writers moonlight as novelists. The worst episode out of all of them was Bombshell. That was either written by someone who reads too much Michael Connelly and James Paterson(Good authors though) or a fangirl. I think it was both.

But this season goes back to the roots of SVU. Plus sometimes it feels like Criminal Intent or Trial By Jury when they show the point of view from more than just the police and prosecutors. I was super excited about seeing Cabot and Novak return and was ecstatic when I saw Mike Cutter. I am a loyal fan to the franchise. That is why i stuck to the mediocre and average seasons 10, 11 and 12 even though i felt change and why I stuck to Criminal Intent when Walon Green took over. (He is better with his work on the mothership than most of his CI stuff). I love this franchise. I love watching episodes of Law & Order on TNT or owning them on DVD. I love watching the spinoffs back to back to see the different detectives and hearing the common lingo amongst the police and prosecutors. I will watch SVU since it is the only show left in the franchise producing new episodes until it too reaches it finale. I hope this is enough of a reason for the hardcore Stabler fans to stick with SVU another couple of years if they are truly fans of everything that is Law & Order.
i wouldnt go as far as saying it sucks cause it still has mariska and ice-t and detective munch,but i sure think it totally sucks that we dont have mr etective stabler anymore! I love all the franchise and i miss him as much as i missed detective briscoe at the original series.(it was never the same without him and maccoy) R.I.P Jerry Orbach!

I've been watching SVU for around four years, and I'm gonna miss Stabler, but I think the new episodes have been great. The most recent episode about Iraq- so relevant given the recent breach of ethic in Iraq. I love the controversy in Law and Order. I love how the episodes always finish on that controversial note.

Nevertheless, I really, really wish the writers had come up with a better reason to whisk Det, Stabler off the stage- like Stephanie March's involvement with the WPP- I was actually waiting for something dramatic....
I have been a massive fan of Law and Order, SVU for 6 or 7 years now. Chris was my absolute favourite. I don't find it nearly as nail biting and exciting without him in it. He made the show what it is.
The show SUCKS without Meloni!!!!!!!
wow this show suck now since Stabler is gone.. Stabler and Benson is what made this show popular! Look at all the other Law and Order series, they are 110% failed. As for the two new cast, hat them They don't fit well in the show and stick out like a sore thumb.

-They should get rid of Danny Pino and Kelli Giddish

-Bring back Christopher Meloni and other original cast member

-don't change a damn thing!
me myself i dont think law in order svu is law in order without christopher meloni. i mean him and mariska is what made the show. so without him i cant see me ever wanting to watch the show again. and i think there is alot of people you feel or think the same way. so christopher if you read these comments i wish you the best of luck with your new career and i will always watch your shows you play in.
I still miss Stabler.Their partnership made the show-his departure was poorly portrayed.
I didn't like the fact that the producers tried so hard to make us like the 2 new characters that they turned benson into a slow-minded b*tch. I also disliked their attempt to partially replace stabler with amaro's anger management issues and bad relationship with his father. If Meloni chose to leave then fine, but the way the series handled his departure isn't well thought out.
Chris left the show to explore other options. Hes in talks to join the cast of True Blood.
I Have been a fan of Law & Order SVU since 1999. I loved the pairing of Stabler & Benson. I'm really gonna miss Chris Maloni being there. I watched the first 3 epsof season 13 and can't seem to sit threw a whole show. I find my self changing the channel or just not paying attention. I can't get into this show, and I fear this show will be doomed if Maloni doesn't come back for season 14 (if there will be a season 14) or at least have him pop in and out this season and next season
I SOOOO agree with you.. I can't sit through the whole show and I too flip through the channels hoping a rerun would come out. The show is a total blah.. I hope he does come back. (Crossing fingers and knocking on wood) ;)
it's ok but just not the same...elliot was one of a kind and I miss him very much. I'm wondering if this means that the actors who played his wife and kids are also out of work?
could they possibly try to bring him back at some point though? i mean if they see the ratings have gone down..... anyone think they may try to renegotiate and get him back? maybe its just wishful thinking on my part but its happened before...... anyway i hope they do try to work something out because i loved his character and even though i do still watch the new season, its just not the same for me without him
L&O: SVU needs Chris Meloni like L&O: Criminal Intent needs Vincent D'Onofrio. Rest my case.
I can't stand SVU without Stabler. I agree with every word that JulianoRuivo wrote and because of that me and my brother another SVU ex fan decided to see one episode of House. It is not the same as SVU but we liked. So now we follow House and not SVU anymore. I think if they goes on in this the TV Serie will have the same end that Law and Order had. O hope the executives think that finishing SVU is a bad business cause it is and bring Meloni back. Cheaper than loosing thousands of fans and we thank those stupid executives. And then they don't understand why they bankrup? Bring Stabler back your stupid people.
for those who dislike stabler role... saying is out of context or something like that... just think....

what is L&O SVU? i mean... why SVU? just to push the limits.... to shock ppl... who does that? stabler does.

he is the limit... u see that on his face... on his look... the same look you make watching bizare or disgusting things...

he is the essence of SVU... he is the guy with 5 kids who wants to kill every pedophile like most of u...

taking him out is the same of saying: hey... everybody can do this job... no1 cares about feelings emotional or stuff involving sex crimes... I doubt any of you thought you could do this kind of work.. and what was the answer? no...i coldnt... so this is it... the essence is gone.... rip svu..

sorry about the english... english is not my main language and its not popular here in my country... but i think u can undestand what i say.... anyway.. all of you americans should be proud to have SVU's fans all over the world and share the same idea of taking elliot out was the worst dick's idea ever....
Not being a "diehard Meloni fan" I disagree that SVU was "long overdue for a change". And if changes were to be made, it was definitely a mistake to make them among the cast. The introduction of two new characters changes the show completely and is a little overwhelming. I've enjoyed 12 seasons of SVU. I'll watch season 13 but only to see what kind of role Benson takes on in the absence of Stabler. Then I'm out.
actually pleasantly surprised how well this season has started off. the stories have all been better than the last few seasons. all stabler was bringing to the last 2-3 seasons was police brutality, he wasn't adding anything to the story. what would he have added to this season?
Why did it need a change? Does anyone know how long it took to dig deep into each character profile. It's what make them seem like real people. This new cat...Danny, you didn't find out he had a son until episode 4. But he doesn't tell his colleagues, he tells that to a possible rapist. WHAT will he tell a pedophile who likes boys? His kids height, where he goes to school, what cereal he eats for breakfast! I still watch because the cases have twist and turns. But it's more predictable now than last year or any other year. 10 minutes into S13 E4 i knew this guy had a twin, because of all the moronic ideas they had about him, nobody thought to ask if he had any family. For the past 12 years, they asked about siblings, parents, cousins. I still enjoy it, but no one has delivered a funny 1-liner yet. That makes me nervous. Stabler was the man. Since when did perps stop running. It's not about the catch, its about the thrill of the chase. Compare Elliot Stabler and Nick Amaro: Stabler kicked your a**, you know why! Amaro beat the hell out of that guys twin brother and I still don't know why! The show is still great because Benson, Tutuola, Munch, Cragen, Cabot, and Neal, are still up to their back alley law tactics. Stabler will be missed dearly.
men!yu got it!! thats it. I tottaly agree with you,stabler is irreplaceble eventhought i stil love the rest of the crew.
Well said. You don't fix something that's not broken. If the cases were stale that has nothing to do with the chemistry of the cast. It's just not the same when they introduce new blood when the originals feel like family...
Will miss him, sort of. Both Stabler and Benson, are pushing the limits of what is real in police world. I would imagine IA would have ousted them years ago for their antics. To me it seems they are getting more desperate. I welcome the additions of Pino and Giddish. They actually made great cops on their previous shows. Not looking forward to Diane Neal, as she was also off on the deep end character wise, but Roache, glad to have him back.
I am a huge fan of Chrisopher Meloni, or should I say was. These actors and athletes need a very serious wake up call. They are being paid to do a job, why are their jobs more important and worth more money than all of the other jobs. There are people in this country being layed off, etc. They are losing their homes, have no where to live, there are starving children, on and on, and these 'celebrities' go around thinking they are better than everyone else and make ridiculous demands.....it is truly makes me sick to my stomach the greediness all around. Not that is will make on bit of difference, but I am no longer a fan of his, and I really hope that he and his family do not have to suffer like other people in this country, but you know what they say about karma!!

While I understand why you say what you say, you must remember that it is the PUBLIC that causes these people to be paid so much more than others. Unfortunately, in the society we live in those that you named just generate a whole bunch of money-through viewership, sponsorship, and commercial views. While I wish he would've stayed for viewers sake, you have to know that for 12 yrs of loyalty he deserved to be given a better send-off than not getting a raise. Whether we of the lower-class like it or not, he was more than earning it. They've already lost 2 million viewers and I expect it will go downhill even more if they don't fix something quick. The funniest thing about all of this is that of all the money those actors get paid they still make 100's of millions more for the Big Wigs, so we will never know how that feels so it's not for us to judge.
Are they gonna bring back Christopher Meloni
I've watched SVU since it premiered back in 99.. What are they gonna do without the dynamics of Benson and Stabler? I've tried to stay focused on the show but, just cant!! I miss Stabler and I dont think I can watch the show anymore without him on it.. Love Mariska(Benson) but it's just not the same... Dick Wolf go back to the good'ol days of Benson, Stabler, Munch, Tutuola and Alex Cabet as ADA cause your losing a lot of loyal fans!!!
Louis I think you must be related to Dick Wolf. If you have been paying any attention at all to the L&W series and Criminal Intent and SVU what is the common demoninator?? That as the shows take off in popularity the leading characters on the show want a higher salary because they are a large part of why viewers watch the shows. So, after countless changes occurred on L&W the show went down in flames. Also true with Criminal Intent. And without Meloni and a significantly reduced role for Hargitay don't be surprised if this show is also cancelled after this season. What is really SAD is that Dick Wolf is as cheap as he can be despite making hundreds of millions of dollars by selling reruns of all of these shows to both local and cable companies througout America (and perhaps overseas as well) he still doesn't get it !!! People watch the shows because of the performers not HIM !!!!
waw I tottaly dig this forum! I am brazilian and yu can bet it sells like crazy overseas too! and this dick wolf is a jerk cause sure ye its sells like this cause of the great job those marvellous carachters do,and again the producers only think about money. I hate that!!!
THANK YOU! SO GLAD that I am not the ONLY one who understands that these people are being made so much money off of, while everyone acts as if they-the actors-are greedy for wanting to be paid their worth. We all know what WE would be doing if everywhere we turned we were plastered all over TV making 100's of millions for our bosses and getting paid less than an atom of that profit...And you are right my friend, L& O SVU is the most popular of all the series, and has been syndicated all over and translated into other languages as well. And I also agree about CI; the moment I saw that the leads had been changed I told everyone "They won't last without them" and what do they do? Go crawling back to their originals to star in the final season...shameful.
What is L&W? Do you mean Law & Order [L&O]? Or are you making a snide remark about Dick Wolf?

I think Law & Order SVU was in a rut. Something needed to be changed. Adding the two new characters would have helped even without losing Chris Meloni but Meloni's character was getting too predictable. I think this is a good thing. He is a great actor and has proven that over and over again. I hope we are watching him in another series real soon but not another incarnation of Stabler...something original.

Mariska Hargitay now has another baby to care for so I don't blame her for wanting to work less but last I'd heard is she was fully on board for the season...which is a good thing. I love the relationship between Fin & Munch. I am looking forward to this season and I haven't said that in a LONG time regarding this show!
Whatever. Stabler'll be back. They KILLED OFF Alex and she came back (not once but twice). Stabler will return even if it's just for the series finale. Also, it was awesome to have Cutter there
I hope they continue to have Cutter pop his head in every once in a while! I love Linus Roache and his character. Wish I could have him:)
Meloni should have received a better send-off than just being written out of the series. I must admit that Stabler's brooding, petulant demeanor was beginning to irritate me, and it is quite amazing that he wasn't summarily fired for his brutality that he was often in IA's crosshairs for. Kelli Geddish is an unusual choice as a new SVU detective, and Danny Pino was quite similar to Stabler in attitude as the Cold Case hothead. Maybe Munch and Tutuola will get a larger caseload- I'd like to see that.
So wrong, this show won't last. They should done a proper goodbye!!!!!!!! Probably won't watch as much. Though I love mariska did a great job. No one is going to measure up. Chris we love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRACY POLLAN IF SHE WAS YOUNGER SHE COULD HAVE PLAYED AN EXCELLENT DET
what i dont get is how did elliot leave w out even saying goodbye to olivia he would never do that

urg this season is going to suck

The good thing is that theyr always be in eachothers lives bc theyr eachothers kids godparents
Correction to previous post, should have read: "Mariska was dead on"!
I'm torn here. Since you can't judge the salaries of television stars (ALL of whom get at least tens of thousands, or more, per episode, for a successful show), I don't blame Meloni for wanting (as Hargitay did) a percentage of the backend profits. Considering these two (their acting and their chemistry) made SVU successful -- and Wolf has made BILLIONS from the L&O franchises -- why not share the wealth to the faces that made your shows successful! Heck, the shows on here on at least 7 channels all throughout each day! The show's writing has sucked for the last four years at least, and it only survived because of the talent of the ensemble. Round robin ADA's (after Neal was fired) didn't help. I miss Meloni, and don't think the show will survive past this year, but, given that, I thought "Scorched Earth" was the best I'd seen in a while. I'm not sure about the need for the new female detective, but I love Stephanie March and she was fabulous. And Mariska was dead one. I don't understand the new set though, and, as a plot note, considering how close Benson and Stabler are, don't you think he would have told her that he was resigning BEFORE sending in the papers and letting her find out from the captain? The writing was good, the story compelling, but for all that, this show is doomed. Why? Because Hargitay's role IS going to be reduced -- that's already confirmed; she asked for fewer hours to spend more time with her young children! So no Stabler, and virtually no Benson, kiss SVU goodbye NBC. Thank God for the reruns, baby!
@sheba60:

I think the new set was due to an event from last season...a bomb or something and then they had to have the asbestos removed so they got redecorated. As for Stabler not telling her himself. The way it played out in the episode was that Stabler was going to have to see the shrink due to a shooting of a teenager and receive anger management counseling. He presumably got mad [or madder] and figured he'd quit rather than bow down to IAB & their conditions. He had his 20+ years in so he took retirement. She cried because it was the longest male relationship she's ever had not because she'd never see him again. I am sure their friendship would survive...he isn't a dick...he wouldn't take it out on her. We might hear about him from her once in a while.

As for the new guy & girl, originally Mariska WAS going to cut back on episodes but the last I read was she'd be in every episode so who knows how it'll work. I like new blood. They need to do something to inject some life into the show. It's bad enough that they deal with the most horrific crimes but then to have any other drama going on makes it that much more difficult. This could turn out to be a GOOD thing.

I didn't watch L&O SVU much in the past two seasons but I am now willing to give it another chance. I love Mariska, Ice T, and the rest of the cast and will miss Christopher Meloni but I think they have a chance to make some good television episodes for a few more years.
More +
I miss Chris Meloni and the consistency of Benson and Stalber was definately a strength of SVU, however, its not a show killer (like the addition of a certain That 70s Show actor on Two and a Half Men was) and I am definately willing to give the new characters a chance, especially since they balanced it out so nicely by bringing back old favorites with Cutter, Novack, and Cabot. I do agree though that the rumors of Hargaty taking a reduced role better turn out to be false.

The only thing I honestly found frustrating about this episode is the fact that the presinct seems to have undergone a complete makeover without any explaination. Admitedly, I did not watch every episode last season, but I don't remember anything happening as of the finale to warrant an entire "re-do" of the precinct, especially with the severely money devprived NYPD.
I disagree with the author removing Christopher Meloni just to make a cast change was one of the biggest mistakes they could have made and in the long run I think the show will suffer the same fate as the original Law & Order and Law & Order:Criminal Intent,when they started screwing with the cast and making so many changes people did not adapt to it and it caused the ultimate ending of both shows.People watch the show because they identify with and enjoy certain characters that are cast.Criminal Intent was taken off the air because people enjoyed Goren ( Vincent D Onofrio) and Eames(Kathryn Erbe) as well as Jamie Sheridan who played the captain. Once they put Jeff Goldblum,and the guy who replaced Jamie Sheridan on the show plus Mary Stuart Masterson on it people did not enjoy the show as much.Same thing with Law & Order that has went through numerous casting changes such as Jerry Orbach,Dennis Farina,Jessie Martin,Jeremy Sisto.People are willing to only tolerate so much with their favorite shows being toyed with then they lose interest.I believe Law & Order SVU will soon see the copping block due to the loss of Christopher Meloni as well.
I think it's a mistake to take Stabler (Meloni) off the show he was one of the main characters and will be missed. Meloni and Hargitay were great as partners and you should of left it that way. I just hope your show doesn't tank like so many have.
I don't agree with the author on any level. We don't know whether Meloni's departure was due to fatigue or finance. Either way, there should have been a better transition planned beyond bringing back former DAs whi have come and gone without much ado, anyway. .The network should have planned a year similar to CI where Eames and Goran shared the screen with Logan and Wheeler every other week. Too late to close the barn door methinks. It feels like the beginning of the end. I hope I'm wrong.
"We don't know whether Meloni's departure was due to fatigue or finance" uh yeah we do, he wanted more money...
mrjakie,Christopher Meloni left because of a breakdown in contract negotiations and I feel the show not paying him the respect of at least showing him departing in a way befitting his character was ridiculous even if he wanted more money or other terms written in to his contract.. Certain people are worth going that extra mile for and make your show and I feel they did not show him enough respect by their lack of caring.I for one will never watch the show again because the partnership between him and Benson was the main reason I did watch it to begin with.
I disagree with this article completely. SVU (unlike the original L&O) relies heavier on the personalities of the lead detectives. And the connection between Stabler and Benson sparkled. Anyone else remember how awful the show was when Dani Beck and Chester Lake were added to the mix. Both (fortunately) were short lived. Yes, Stabler was intense and angry. Who wouldn't be given the amount of years chasing the lowest scum on the earth? But it was Stabler's passion that made me tune in each week. I will try to continue watching but I don't have high hopes for this season.
It is hard to swallow that Chris/Elliot will no longer be there on the show. The chemistry of Elliot and Olivia is what made the show and the chemistry they had with all the other cast members also. I am sorry, but the new girl on the block was not impressive. I didn't feel any chemistry what so ever in the season opener from any of the characters the eposide just seemed cold and un-emotional. The only get part of the episode was Olivas break when she found out Elliot up in his paper. Hats off to Mariska for that scence for the job well done and giving some feeling to that episode. I will just have to watch the old episodes on USA, at least know I will have room freed up on my DVR as I will not be recording this seasons episodes as have the last several years so I don't miss a episode. If I watch I watch it if not no biggie. I would have been nice to have the proper goodbye for Elliot and Olivia and the character. Too bad they couldn't bring Chris back as a guest a few times to get the chemistry again. I truely believe this is the last season for SVU.
I got my weekly libido boost from watching the Hot Stud strut his stuff around.

Chris I will really miss you Sir!
I watched SVU for Stabler. I'm not interested in this new chick. I agree with majority of feels in these comments... it just doesn't feel like SVU without Eliot.
Testify!
Is Mariska Hargitay still just appearing in a limited role? I thought that might have changed since Chris Meloni left. Maybe she decided the show needs Liv more than ever?

Anyway, I liked the episode. I didn't really miss Stabler. I'm sure I will later, but I thought the show went on fine without him, as much as I didn't think it would.
I'd heard she was going to be in every episode so I hope that is right. I don't blame her for wanting to spend time with her children and since she just adopted a baby, she has her hands full! I do think though with the economy as it is, if you have a job on a successful television series, you best try your best to keep it! Movie actors have been coming to television because it's difficult to find work for EVERYONE right now. Studios aren't paying what they used to and movies aren't making as much any more. We don't have as much to spend. It isn't as bad for them but they are feeling the crunch too.
yes movies still make alot of money and tv shows make most of thier money from adds they sell in the time slot, so yes people like dick wolfe are moking alot of money and the only reason people watch these shows are for the ACTORS and some of them deserve more money.
I haven't seen anyone comment on the fact that not only is Stabler gone, but Mariska Hargitay is only appearing in a limited role this season. Not sure what that means exactly.. maybe half the shows. It's bad enough to lose Stabler but if they've half lossed Benson too then I am totally out. I felt like I was watching a different show and I didn't like it. Now just wait until Benson dissapears.
That was old news...she's now going to be in every episode. It was released sometime in July or August. See the following or look up the entire article:

Aug 1, 2011 Mariska Hargitay will remain 'in every episode' of 'Law & Order: Special ... when her character gets promoted to a supervisor position on the show's 13th season. " I don't think anything is going to change on screen," Greenblatt ...

www.ontheredcarpet.com/Mariska-Hargitay

Hope that answers that question for everyone...FINALLY:)
this SUCKS!!! i LOVE SVU!! it's been my favorite show forever, but without Eliot, i don't know if i'm going to continue watching. I loved the chemistry between Oliva & Eliot! This is a MAJOR cast change, it's not like getting a different ada, which we've gotten use to over the years, but this just WON'T be SVU without Stabler! What a shame......it was a great show!!
Load More Comments