A Few Predictions for ABC's Once Upon A Time, Based on Its Parallels to a Possibly Forgotten Miniseries Called The 10th Kingdom

Once upon a time, in the the late '90s—an era marked by cheap-yet-convincing computer effects, an excellent economy, and the blissful innocence of a pre-9/11 America—many TV networks churned out several fantasy miniseries, the most memorable of which was The 10th Kingdom. Budgeted at $44 million, The 10th Kingdom was a completely original story about a father and daughter from New York who were transported into a fairytale world through a magic mirror. There, they discovered that the stories they considered to be "fairytales" were actually the historical accounts of nine kingdoms, each one ruled by the descendants of classic storybook characters (Cinderella, Snow White, etc.). The father (Tony) and daughter (Virginia) were led by a prince (Wendell, a descendant of Snow White) who'd been transformed into a dog by the Evil Queen; he'd broken out of her prison with the help of a Troll King. The Queen was in possession of the prince's body, which was inhabited by the soul of her dog (man-dog soul switch, natch)—she intended to install him/it as her puppet king.

Tony and Virginia were more concerned with getting back to NYC then they were with helping Prince Wendell until they learned that the Evil Queen was actually Virginia's mother and Tony's wife, who abandoned them when Virginia was a little girl. Furthermore (SPOILERS!), Virginia recovered a long-suppressed memory that her mother had tried to drown her in the bathtub before slipping off into this alternate fairytale universe. The Queen violently denied her real-world life, but it was obviously true. Then the Queen poisoned a giant ballroom full of people, Jonestown-style, and Virginia was forced to knowingly kill her own mother in order to save her father/everybody and set things right. As the Queen/Virginia's mother died (of MURDER!) she at last remembered Virginia, smiled, patted Virginia's cheek, and called her "my little girl."

And that was a bare-bones description, if you can believe it. The 10th Kingdom was dense with very detailed, self-contained episode arcs. One episode involved a murder trial where the jury was made up of sheep and the defendant was the Wolf. Rutger Hauer played a Huntsman and ran around murdering people while dressed like a hippie woman. Various characters won a fortune at a fairytale casino and did mushrooms in a swamp. And the series' tone was even more varied than its content. There was a trio of trolls who seemed to have filmed a great deal of their material separate from the rest of the cast, and with a children's theater feel that really brought down their scenes (they mercifully disappeared a couple hours in). The dialogue was unapologetically silly and often weirdly sexual or sinister. There were absurdist flights of humor and hilarious contrasts when pop-culture references were suddenly brought into the fairytale setting. The Wolf and Virginia had an erotically charged relationship that frequently skittered beyond the boundaries of PG-13.

There was also a lot of heavy stuff. As Tony, Jon Larroquette gave the performance of his life, doing several comedic stints and also an emotional turn when he broke his back and convinced Virginia to leave him to die (Snow White's ghost helped out). There was a lot of discussion of how Virginia had never gotten over being abandoned as a child; there was even a scene told from Virginia's point-of-view where her pre-Evil Queen mom frantically tried to drown her in the bathtub before her husband got home. It was the darkest, weirdest stuff I've ever seen on TV, and it was all accompanied by sparkle effects.

Now, there are clear departures between The 10th Kingdom and Once Upon A Time—which just debuted on ABC last week—but so far there are also enough parallels that I think we can make some thematic comparisons and perhaps cook up a few predictions about where the new series might be headed. So let's gaze into the magic mirror of The 10th Kingdom and see what we can divine.

THE WOLF:

So, the Wolf was one of The 10th Kingdom's best characters. At times he was broad and hilarious, at others he was seriously smoldering. Scott Cohen's performance actually launched some of the first fan pages on the web, and any television actor could learn from how deftly he transitioned from Broadway-level theatrical virtuosity to a more subtle, intense style that resonated on the screen. Wolf was secretly in league with the Evil Queen, but when he fell in love with Virginia, his loyalty changed and he ended up saving the day.

Now, if I had to find an analog in last week's Once Upon a Time premiere, I would point to the police chief, who we first met at Regina's house. I have a hunch that Sheriff Graham is the wolf who ran Emma off the road, and that as the wolf he serves the Queen/Regina. I'll place my bets: The Sheriff will eventually become Emma's love interest and, in a similar arc, their relationship will shift his loyalties and be constantly threatened by whether she can or cannot trust him. Ladies like bad-boy loner types—especially ones with stubble.

ANTHROPOMORPHIZED ANIMALS:

Birds delivering messages, information, and the lay of the land to heroes is a fairytale trope (birds are the smartphones of olden times), and talking birds were used to great affect in The 10th Kingdom. In the Once Upon a Time pilot, Snow White was shown with birds twice, and Prince Charming mentioned that the animals were "abuzz" over the Queen's curse. While I assume animals won't talk in the modern-day storyline, I fully expect to see a chatty bluebird in the fairytale plot and then a reveal that in the real-world town of Storybrooke, said bluebird is a house pet in a key location.

CASTLES:

Thanks to its huge budget, The 10th Kingdom was filmed on-location around castles in Austria, France, England, Germany; part of the joy of the series was getting to see so much idyllic countryside and so many authentic exteriors. We're working in a different economy now, and I don't blame Once Upon a Time for its heavy use of green screen, but hopefully once the show's popularity stabilizes and earns it a heftier allowance, the cast (and audience) will get to spend some time in and around brick-and-mortar castles, even if only the ones in San Bernadino.

AMNESIA:

The 10th Kingdom's Evil Queen escaped into the fairytale world and promptly suppressed her real life. The opposite is true in Once Upon a Time: Regina is the only one aware of the curse, and she's suppressing the memories of those around her. She clearly prefers the real world and her mayoral duties. As Once Upon a Time progresses, I'm guessing that a signifier of how much a character is in league with the Queen will be how much that person remembers or pretends to not remember. Suspicions will abound!

KILLER MOM MYTHOS:

Like Once Upon A Time, The 10th Kingdom centered on the story of Snow White (played by no lesser a personage than Camryn Manheim). Snow White's story is a particularly disturbing one because it involves a surrogate mother figure who tries to kill the titular heroine, a psychological violation that The 10th Kingdom's Virginia shared (her mom tried to drown her) and had mirror in order to serve justice (she in turn killed her mom), despite the fact she kind of longed to know her mother her whole life.

As a parallel, Emma is Snow White's daughter, and Snow White was forced to abandon her. Emma, in turn, had to give up her own kid—and he's being raised by the Evil Queen. All this abandonment angst! All of these mother figures who have to be defeated! In Once Upon a Time's case, the analog is not between Virginia and Emma, but instead between Virginia and Henry. In bringing Emma to Storybrooke and kicking off the central battle of good and evil, I think Henry is eventually going to have a lethal moment with Regina. To really break the social more of what a son owes his mom and vice versa, she's going to have to make some kind of attempt on his life (it's dark, I know.) It's interesting that in most fairytales, the central conflict occurs between an older woman and a younger one, as if we're trying to teach different generations of women not to trust each other, but to take a passive stance and look to men as arbiters of social justice. Since Henry is a boy, he breaks that chain of woman-to-woman conflict—unless Regina steps over him and gets into conflict exclusively with Emma. If that happens, we'll have a direct contest not just between good and evil, but between the idealized mother and the demonized mother. Women's Studies majors, take note: I just gave you a thesis topic.

Both Once Upon a Time and The 10th Kingdom touch on the most important aspect of their fairytale roots: that folklore has primal, psychological truths at its core and that these stories reinforce the societal balance between what is civilized, right, and true, and what is deceptive, wrong, and barbaric. The 10th Kingdom stayed rooted in the world of the fairytale, while Once Upon A Time approaches its larger issues through the lens of the real world, which is clearly an easier way to make viewers relate. Hopefully this will give Once Upon A Time the commercial appeal that The 10th Kingdom apparently lacked. Either way, the parallels between the two are undeniable, and we'll see if Once Upon A Time ends up mirroring The 10th Kingdom as much as i suspect it might.

QUESTIONS:

… Do you agree/disagree with any of my predictions? Am I seriously losing my mind?

… What was your favorite mini-plot in The 10th Kingdom? (I loved the sleeping swamp.)

… Did you ever crush on Wolf hardcore/start a fan site?

… What elements will Once Upon A Time be forced to introduce in order to sustain the show's premise for several seasons?

… Why is Snow White the predominant fairytale in modern storytelling?

Greetings! We are official 'The 10th Kingdom Connection' @ Facebook.com.

We are a friendly spot for fans of the greatest fractured fairytale ever written, The 10th Kingdom. Huff puff! Don't spend hours trolling the Internet for up to date T10K related happenigs. This is it!

The 10th Kingdom Connection is a fan group with a thriving community of devoted T10K fans. Our aim is to provide a meeting place for fans and to share as much factual information about The 10th Kingdom as possible.

Our sister group, the 11th Kingdom, has been in existence since 2001 and was set up to cope with the huge demand for information on The 10th Kingdom. That demand is still there, and the fan club has gone from strength to strength. That's why we're here!

So stop by! You can roam around at leisure, share with fellow fans, enjoy cast updates, notes from Simon Moore, behind-the-scenes photos, bloopers, plus more.

-> Also, for more frequently asked questions with answers from Simon Moore about The 10th Kingdom, visit 'Simon's Korner':

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Tenth Kingdom Connection @ Facebook

---------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm, I know that these posts are kinda old, but I was wondering why they didn't make a season 2 for The 10Th Kingdom. Don't get me wrong, "Once Upon A Time" is good. But, I would rather have all of The 10Th Kingdom playing on T.V every week instead of "Once Upon A Time." The only bad thing is now, we don't have the original cast. Which also made the show more enjoyable.
I just have to post and say how much I loved, loved, loved The 10th Kingdom! I liked it as a teenager and I like it now, which proves the show's brilliant storytelling: it was quirky, funny, poignant, dark and smart. If Once Upon A Time manages to reach the same levels, we're in for a treat!

My favourite moment in Once ... was the Evil's Queen sacrifice of something precious" to her (ever since LOTR that word seem to imply something twisted/dark looming). I like when these Disney-take-on-fairytale characters go truly dark.

Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin is my favourite so far. Evil Queen is mean in soap-opera-ish way, but Rumpelstiltskin is evil in his devious, manipulative (he even manipulates the Queen), obsessive-dealing ways.
Back when I saw the 10th Kingdom we didn't have internet in my home and you had to be over 18 to use it at the library, so no fanpage. But yes, I did have a crush on Wolf. I loved the episode when he rescued Virginia from the Trolls, he was so exuberant, I loved him.

It seems like to me the basic personality of the characters of Once Upon a Time is there, they don't remember their other selves though. I just watched ep 2 and it seemed like Regina doesn't remember anything. Like when Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin said please, she seemed utterly shocked that she couldn't move. So, I don't think she knows about the curse.
Ooops... sorry... SALLY Peep... Not Mary
1) I agree.

2) Probably my mini plot was the whole trial over the murder of Mary Peep.

3) Whole hearted a "Wolfpack" member from the get go :D

I remember first reading about the show in Starlog and then the local Video store got the trio of tapes in. I had just watched the opening credits when I stopped, called two of my friends and said... I'm coming over, you're gonna want to see this. that was 8.30 on a Friday night... We finally crashed into bed about 8.30 the next morning having watched all 10 hours in a sitting.

The casting really worked, but Scott Cohen was by far the standout performer. He was so deliciously theatrical on one hand, for example the cooking Grandma scene, but then could be so very subtle like in the Gypsy village.
I absolutely adore this movie! It's one of my all-time favorites and only one person I know has ever heard of it. I own the DVD and love watching it over and over again, it never gets old. Also, I love the comparison that you made with Once Upon A Time and The 10th Kingdom, it gave me so much more to think about.

I always loved Wolf and probably always will and my favorite mini-plot was probably The Kissing Town. It was so magical and romantic, and now that I know it's real I want to visit!
I like Grimm WAY better than Once Upon a Time.
What's not to love
Plus it has some of my favorite actresses in it and some really HOT guys ;)
I LOVE the 10th Kingdom, one of my favorite movies, I own and watch it often. After only the pilot (the pilot!) episode, Once Upon a Time has already become one of my favorite TV shows. I LOVE FANTSY!!!
10th Kingdom only had 10 epsiode i dont even know why we talkign about this....waste of time... pick a better topic next time...
Considering you just posted immediately before this that you had no idea what 10th Kingdom was, you probably aren't aware that it wasn't a TV series that got cancelled, but a special Sweeps Mini Series that came in three part running for a total of 10 hours. Also I think the topic is a valid one, drawing comparisons between shows is often done, often to great affect and interest in the views.
never heard of 10th Kingdom, all i know is that I am hooked with Once Upon A time! Thank you...
The comparison with 10th Kingdom also stricked me when I saw the pilot of Once upon a time but I think Once upon a time lacks the self-mockery there was in 10th Kingdom. Once is a show that takes itself way too much seriously despite its unrealistic universe. There was something ridiculous about seeing an evil witch dressed in black and living in a gothic evil castle having a heart to heart conversation with her father who loves her very much. I think the artistic choices they made are so extreme that it's ultimately difficult to make the characters sound less stereotyped than they are. A problem 10th kingdom never has to face since the tone was lighter and parody never too far.
Teeheehee, I legit started a fansite for the wolf after watching 10th Kingdom. I believe it was called ... Huff Puff Love? Something like that ....anyway, OUAT is alright. Not as good as 10th Kingdom (which I own and watch often), but still a lot of fun.
For Once upon a time They are introducing Maleficent as the evil queens arch nemesis so that should be a a cool story line as well.
I LOVED the 10th kingdom! I have it on DVD! The wolf was awesome! I loved the sleeping swamp and kissing town!
I just discovered the 10th Kingdom last week and watched it all weekend long for halloween. Obviously the effects are a little dated. I think Once Upon a Time is fantastic, and hope they keep it going for seasons to come!
I LOVED The 10th Kingdom, and it still is one of my all time favorite fantasy mini-series. And Wolf was indeed an awesome character. I had such a crush on him (still do whenever i re-watch my DVDs).

So far Once Upon A Time has been doing pretty decently, and i do hope it will continue to give me some joy.
I loved the 10th Kingdom and I also have it on DVD. I liked the pilot of Once Upon A Time. My only problem is that it is being telecast by ABC and they have a bad track record of canceling their shows very quickly. ABC + I like it = cancellation.
I actually enjoyed this review more than watching the episode. It was nice to see Jennifer Morrison again, but the episode had a certain amount of cheese I wasn't expecting. It was probably because I had just finished watching Grimm.
Once Upon a Time is a definite watch. Very interesting. Off to a good start. Definitely better than Grimm.
I loved the 10th Kingdom. I have the DVDs, lol. I was sad there was never more, they mentioned "that's another story." As a 14 year old at the time I was led to believe we'd get more. Snow White is the predominate fairytale because Disney used it first. It's the story that started animated movies and so it's a go to for anyone looking to succeed.
"My name is Virginia and I live on the edge of the forest..."

I honestly did not know anyone but my sister and I knew the 10th kingdom existed. I loved it when I was a little kid and I have the DVD in my dorm room. There are lines from it that I still saying in everyday conversation (no one ever get the references). I started drawing connections from the first time I saw a preview for this show. I think The 10th Kingdom defiantly had a role in inspiring this series. My favorite mini-plot in The 10th Kingdom was probably the casino or the murder trial. And the singing ring! I hope Once Upon A Time finds a good footing over the next few episodes.

Also does anyone remember Dinotopia? Another classic miniseries.
I remember Dinotopia, I even have the dvds too LOL! The 10th Kingdom was original for its time and as the review says it was a mixed bag but that was part of the fun. The best tv mini series I have enjoyed since and more recent was Tin Man.
I also remember 10th Kingdom, fondly, even!
This article THANKFULLY reminded me about the wonderful show,the 10th kingdom.Now i'm off to buy the series off of Amazon
Also at why Snow White is the predominant fairytale in Modern storytelling is because you can only use Cinderella I don't know like a thousand times before it gets played out. And lets face it Sleeping Beauty is like a combo of cinderella and snow white.
I love the 10th Kingdom and remember watching it when it first came on. i can def see your parallels between the two.
Once Upon a Time seems interesting i staying tuned. Fantasy is hard to come by these day and Games of Thrones ain't around so I'll settle with this for now
It was just a few weeks ago that I watched the 10th kingdom on DVD, it's a classic that can be rewatched over and over (and Wolf was an amazing character, I always fall in love with him when I watch the 10th). I don't think Once Upon A Time will be as awesome as the 10th kingdom, but it'll be good entertainment while it's on.
Ah the 10th kingdom I actually own that miniseries its like 10 hours long and I love every moment of it. I have a serious thing for wolf he was fantastic all evil one moment sweet and cuddly the next I especially like when he tried to eat virginia's grandma a la little red riding hood
Oh my. I'm gonna eat the grandma was definitely the best mini-plot in the series. Though the series were so wisely loaded with them, that it's too hard to choose from :)
Interesting, I can definitely see the parallels between the two. There is a lot of similarities between them and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed them.

It also reminds of a little seen sitcom from ABC called The Charmings, it lasted two seasons and the storyline also seems drawn from this one and to a certain extent the film, Enchanted.
Although I've never watched the 10th kingdom, i liked most of your theories. I'd just like to add my 2 cents to them.

The first thing i thought when i saw the sheriff - keeping in mind that the plot is more snow white related - was that he was The Huntsman. You know the guy: evil stepmother's lackey who has to cut out snow's heart but repents and lets her live instead. Despite that, the Wolf idea would be interesting so here is hoping you are right.

From the Amnesia topic i'd like to add that there is also a character that remembers everything besides Regina: Rumpelstiltskin. And this town is a sweet deal for him as well since he owns it and is - you know - out of jail. And the good thing is he has the possibility of becaming a terrible villan since he has Emma's name.

A crazy idea i carry in my twist little mind is that he would be an awesome love interest for Emma (maybe not a love interest per se but would be so cool if he had for her of some kind of crush or obsession) since he's played by such an amazing actor and would bring lots of fairy tale layers to explore (is he good? is he bad? is he both? is he neither?)

But ok *sigh* I know that is no chance of that happening.
That certainly would be a great twist.... unfortunately I don't see it happening, maybe between the Evil Queen and him?
SUCK AN ELF!!

I hope they do take inspiration from 10th kingdom, the darkness and humour was a win, i thought Once upon a time was lacking in the latter. Still better than the Grimm pilot though.

Yeah i can see the Sheriff/Emma coupling happening, I've been trying to think what would give the show longevity, apart from going back to fairytale land and seeing individual character stories and advancing the main plot, standalone episode wise i'm not sure...help Miss Peep find her sheep? And how long can they stretch out the curse, or if they break it what happens then?

Aaaand mm'yes i admit it, Cohens performance totally had me crushing on him! /swoon
It's funny you should make the comparison between Once Upon A Time and The 10th Kingdom, as it's exactly the same one I made to convince my mother to try the new show. "Here Mum, you loved 10th Kingdom, you'll love this"
I haven't watched Once Upon A Time yet but I know I loved The 10th Kingdom way back! I might just give it a try sometime.

I guess some parallels are inevitable, there are only so many fairytales you can "use" in your storylines. I'd really like to see some new twists and turns and unexpected arcs but since the show is just in its very first season we'll have to see about that.

I think I'm gonna re-watch The 10th Kingdom now that you reminded me of it :-D
Once Upon A Time is basically the Fables comic on TV with a few diferences and not as good. This show has quashed any chance of Fables being on TV now.
You are not losing your mind, I feel pretty much the same way!

The 10th Kingdom was mindblowing at the time I have first seen it, and then I bought the dvd and have watched it on several different occasions, never bored, even though at some point I already knew it by heart.

I had the biggest crush on Wolf and was giggling and cheering like a schoolgirl (which I was, actually, when I saw it for the first time) at the moments when Virginia and He flirted and more...

My favourite moment from The 10th Kingdom was (they are too many to enlist) when Virginia sang the adapted version of Queen's "We will rock you". As soon as I heard "Budde, you're a ram...", I had fits of giggles! :D
I loved 10th Kingdom. One of the first shows I ever bought on DVD. Haven't watched in forever. :P

I wouldn't exactly say these shows have a lot in common but who can say after just one episode. I'm excited to see where Once Upon A Time goes but it has to be extremely good to beat the 10th Kingdom.
I'm AMAZED by the sheer number of 10th Kingdom fans. I have loved this mini-series since I first watched it 11 years ago. Unfortunately, no one I know has ever seen it. Can you imagine how infuriating that is? Not being able to talk about one of your favorite pieces of fiction. So, I would like to thank TV.com and Lily Sparks for providing me a much sought after 10th Kingdom forum . . . . .

Wasn't it GREAT! Man, it was great. So original. So compelling. Purposely ridiculous at times, in a whimsically playful sort of way. Action, adventure, romance, the eternal and internal struggle of Good vs Evil, all expressed through the spectrum of fantasy. And FUNNY! Hilarious at times. John Larroquette as Tony, literally made me laugh to tears - "What is the point of having a door that has a horrible death behind it. What does that achieve!" - This scene kills me to this day. The writing was fresh, the acting was superb, and the scenery was gorgeous. I honestly can't say enough about how much I enjoyed watching this mini-series (several times).

Whew! Alright, enough gushing.

Your Wolf prediction makes so much sense, I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen. Anthropomorphized animals are a fairytale prerequisite. Regarding the amnesia prediction: Rumpelstiltskin is definitely in the know, so this seems like a pretty safe guess. Not sure if Regina is going to make an attempt on Henry's life, but it would be shockingly spectacular if she did.

The Sleeping Swamp is AWESOME! When you see magic mushrooms singing "A Whiter Shade of Pale", you know your witnessing something truly special.
I'm not sure they've made the case yet that Regina has her memories of Fantasyland and is the one suppressing the memories of the others. Maybe the spell backfired and caught her as well?
I have loved The 10th Kingdom from the moment it aired. I'll never forget the "Little Bo Peep" mini-plot, I'm actually in the middle of re-watching it right now. I was so excited to see this decade's version of the classics, until I heard it was a series. I so wish they would have made this a mini-series as well, I just don't see it lasting long enough for me to get a satisfactory ending (although I wasn't terribly impressed by the pilot I believe I'll watch it until it ends or is canceled.) To keep this one going they're going to have to keep the amnesia factored in for months.

As for predictions, most fairy tales have very similar plots (good vs. evil) so it seems inevitable that the aforementioned will have congruent arcs, but so far this one seems different enough to keep me interested. (And I had a huge crush on Wolf which seems to reappear every time I watch it.)
YES, I freakin' loved 10th Kingdom!
I remember the 10 Kingdom well and yes, I definitely crushed on Wolf.
I can't say whether or not the younger vs. older women conflict is supposed to make women turn to men as arbiters of justice. I think that in the past and even today, whenever someone, male or female, looks to move into a position of power they first have to remove the person currently occupying it. However, the winner has to appear to be "good" so they make up a story about the other person attacking them first. This is especially true with monarchies if you want to be the Queen or King the old monarch has to die and you have to give the nobles a reason why you weren't content to wait another few decades. In other words, history is written by the victors.
Firstly, let me say that this is Saturday night, and my post should be taken with all that a typical '20s "Saturday night" entails.

That being said, I LOVED "The 10th Kingdom" and myself have been making parallels between this show and that miniseries since the moment it aired (indeed, I'm bringing my DVDs of the miniseries to work tomorrow to lend it to a friend whose interest was inspired by this show). Also, between this and "Grimm" (the other "fairy tale" show this season), I like this one better and want it to succeed (both wouldn't bother me, but if I had to choose one, this one takes the cake). However, to answer the questions...

-I think your predictions, I'm not going to say spot on, since I have my own, are most certainly not without merit. By that I mean, they imply an adept knowledge of the oeuvre, and a coherent analysis of it (I'd like to take this time to note that in my most natural state, I am a Charles Dickens wannabe, and things like partying and being tired bring out most severely that aspect of my nature).

-My favourite mini-plot of the "The 10th Kingdom" was probably, as ever, the emotional turning point, the part where they were gambling and finding money to bring her home and the wolf wins all the gold and squanders it away trying to impress her as he had obviously, at that point, fallen completely head-over-heels in love with her.

-I'm a guy, and straight, so I never "crushed" on Wolf/started a fan site. That being said, Scott Cohen is the man, and I've followed his career from this to his time on "Gilmore Girls" to his one shot appearance on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent". The man can ACT. And, as I've stated in previous posts, my gender and sexual preferences aside, I've seen worse in a man.

-I think that "Once Upon A time" is not in a bad place. I think that they will have to delve deeply into the Grimm brothers lore as well as create an, I'm almost reluctant to say it, procedural aspect to the show, where fairy tales are cycled in and out creating and releasing tension all the while progressing the main storyline. I think that this show has the potential to become amazing as long as they make the effort to keep to the 3 fairy tale ideals: (these are my own creation so if you've never heard of them, do not worry) 1) It should be entertaining. 2) It has a supernatural element (e.g. witch/fairy/magic lamp/animals that talk/mongoose bankers). and 3) It has an indication of morality (i.e. that it is somehow a fight between good and evil/right and wrong/north pole and south pole). So far so good (though as we've only seen the pilot, that's not much of which to speak).

-I think it is because it has all the major elements of modern society, or at least as many as can be found in a fairy tale. The manly man saves the day (Prince Charming with the smoochies). The woman gets her ideal man (Prince Charming). The woman wants, more than anything, to be loved/have true love (the bite of the poisoned apple). The evil person is punished (eaten by crows/dancing in red-hot shoes, pick your tradition). There is a conflicted character who redeems himself (the hunter who brings back the heart of an animal who allows our heroine to escape). The woman is actually intelligent (for a fairy tale) and not and idiot (she successfully runs a house for 7 men, earning their trust and gratitude). And for the men, all the men in the story are manly enough/don't disappoint (dwarves are pretty chill, the hunter dude doesn't kill her, Prince Charming didn't know until the end when he acted as best he could (kisses still count as action)).

These are my opinions, whatever. As for your statements above about "The 10th Kingdom", let me say that I have personally been to a number of the locations (Germany, yada yada) where they filmed and it was gratifying to see such an approach to modern-day historical fairy tale telling. I am fully in support.
10TH Kingdom was awesome, I was not impressed with the pilot of Once Upon a Time, I say maybe two season's at the most I will not continue to watch Once Upon a time
Dude, you forfeited all credibility when you said Charlie's Angels was better than Once Upon a Time.
no offense Arch _Angel88 everybody is allowed an opinion, IMO Charlies Angels was better period its not about credibility, 10th Kingdom was awesome that you have to agree, IMO 10th is way way way better than ONCE UPON A TIME that's all it is my opinion I sent you a message
Sorry, did you have an opinion about something?