ABC may find new docs for Scrubs

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - ABC is giving Scrubs the sort of heavy network support that its creator says was missing during the show's seven years on NBC.

The comedy's production will be upgraded to HD (high-definition) for its eighth-season premiere on ABC, and the network has commissioned six two- to four-minute webisodes to give the show extra promotional heft.

"It was a pleasant surprise to have people from the network visit the set, because nobody has done that in six or seven years," creator/showrunner Bill Lawrence said at the Television Critics Association press tour Wednesday. "I don't think that's NBC dropping the ball; I think it's the difference of doing a show for a network that also produces you."

Scrubs, produced by ABC Studios, is set to premiere midseason. Some have suspected it will be the show's final season, and star Zach Braff in particular says he's likely headed for an exit.

"My sense is this is my last year," Braff said.

Yet Lawrence and ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson indicated there might be a way to keep the comedy going with new cast members, a la NBC's revolving-door medical drama ER.

"We do think that it will not hopefully be a one-season situation," McPherson said. "We do think there's an opportunity after that--talking to Zach, talking to Bill--and whether all of the cast is a part of that, I still think there's a great amount of growth there."

Added Lawrence: "McPherson was supportive of the idea that it's like 'ER' as a comedy. We brought in some younger people into the show."

Still, Lawrence has the finale--which he'd written about four years ago--ready to go, and it might finally reveal the name of the janitor (Neil Flynn).

"We just have to change some pop culture references," he said. "When you hear the janitor's name, the show's over."

cygnusloop99- They're talking about the janitor character's name, not the actor's name.
hahaha are they nuts?

scrubs without JD would be like beer without alcohol.

have they not actually WATCHED the show? the entire show, certainly in the first series or two revolved ENTIRELY around JD's experience as an intern, and it's still mostly about him and his experiences and wouldn't be the same without his narration.

i'm looking forward to new scrubs, but it sounds like it might be time for the fat lady to sing, or for the janitor to reveal his name
your absolutley correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!
American television producers are greedy, and want shows that make money to continue making money at the expense of the show itself -- and keep shows on the air far longer than they should be.

They fool themselves into thinking that individual characters in an ensemble show are easily replaceable. That may be for supplemental characters, but not the character the audience is meant to associate with.

Northern Exposure [in my estimation, one of the greatest television shows ever, and one that Scrubs reminds me of for its handling of both comedy and drama] was one of these shows. Apart from being on too long, and losing some of the quality and charm that made it successful, they tried to go on after Rob Morrow [Dr. Fleischman] quit the show. Even with an ensemble cast, there's always one character that the audience is meant to sympathize with -- and you can't lose that one.

M*A*S*H is the only successful case of replacing a major character from an ensemble show and surviving. But they were lucky, in that there were two characters the audience associated with -- both Hawkeye AND Trapper. You could lose one, but not both of the audience's focal points. After-M*A*S*H is proof of that.

The "Next Generation" comment from Lawrence seems the only way to go and have possible success. You could go the Degrassi: The Next Generation route, where you have a whole new cast and the old "kids" are now the new "adults" to turn the tables, or the Star Trek: The Next Generation route, where the entire cast is new -- maybe even at a different hospital. We all enjoyed watching these doctors come into their own -- why would we not necessarily enjoy watching new ones on the same journey?
i am sorry to say this but i really dont belive that scrubs has a snowballs chance in hell without ZB. the only reason i say this is who else is gonna have the history with turk?? who else will be able to do the stupid stuff jd and turk do and not make it feel like they are replacing jd if he does leave. besides i do belive that alot of the really hardcore fans would be greatly dissapointed if they do pull an er and start replacing the very characters that made the show what it is. plus im just greatfull that they are gonna have a season 8 well i am finishing up season 6 bout to start in on season 7 thank god for xbox live. PS i think they like said before had a great run, i feel like they should just let the show end on a great note and be happy that they were and are the best show to ever hit nbc good luck tryin to get another one WAIT BRING BACK THE CAVEMEN SIKE!!!!!!!!!! THAT SHOW SUCKED
I strongly dissagrea with people who think the show cant be sucseful without ZB.LOL that was like " its not not sad"-episode wher jill tracy dies for you die hard fans. Let me get back on track here. Bill lawrence and team of writers do flat out Amazing Job. sure i would rather have ZB in the show who would not? But if Faison, Flynn, Chalke, Reyes, Jenkins , Mcginly and the fanaminal side charcters remain in the show acompanied a lil more freedome to let the writers and producers do whatt thay will. I Belive full well this show has potential to be better than ever!. p.s. i personaly like how the janitor has no name. And one coment i never see is how. woderful and diverse the shows music is i for one LOVE it. well peace out scrubs fans im off to wacht disk two of season 5 lol-Johnayerz
He does owe alot to the show, I think he has sayed on alot long then he could have. sticking around for ABC to give at least a decent farewell for the show is being faithful. Thoughs are my thoughts
I will forever and always love Scrubs, and JD has never been my favorite. As long as the supporting cast stays the same, I can see the show going on without JD/Zach Braff. Zach was nothing before he was cast for the show, and I feel he owes Scrubs a lot so he should not be the one person especially pushing to end the series. But those are just my personal hard feelings.
yep, still don't know how the show can go on without Zach.. But Scrubs is just Amazing. :LOL:
I've always loved Scrubs, but I think it might be time for that ship to sail now. It's had a good run and no doubt it'll always make me chuckle when they show repeats but I think it's time to move on. I'd love to see Scrubs transformed into something a bit like ER.
the only reason ZB is back this season is because the writers trike screwed, what was to be, the final season. 7 was meant to be his last. i think the show has lost a lot of momentum but it still makes me chuckle if not laugh out loud, like it used to. Dr. Cox just plain annoys me now.
Like many others, i would far rather it ended on a high, and a planned one at that, than dragging its heels losing momentum (as i suspect a new cast would do to it), until eventually being suddenly cancelled. And agreed, if ZB leaves, it just won't sit as well. Its a different style of show than ER.
Not sure how the show could go on with out Zach playing JD.....just don't see it.
Don't get me wrong, I loved scrubs in its hayday, but to be honest the way that the story has evolved the last couple of seasons I wish they had already ended it. Here's to hoping for one last energetic season that gives this great show a proper send-off.
Long live JD
giving the show a new cast would suck, they should end it on a cool finale and stop there
lets hope we never hear the name of the janitor!
Let's see NBC continues to drop the ball...no big surprise there. Having Scrubs be Like ER...I hope not since ER hasn't had an original idea in years, it's just the same plots with different people. As for Scrubs minus ZB...it might work it might not only time will tell.
Wow, so the Janitor is like the Norse god of armageddon or the end bringing, when you hear his name it all ends, hehe.

Anyway, with such positive things to say about ABC it stinks that Braff is suddenyl thinking it's time to go, that's really too bad.

I guess it's cool how ABC plans to continue it on (and besides, only one season wouldnt have been worth the trouble they went through).

Which reminds me though, why wasnt Scrubs ever bumped to HD? every other show was, was NBC really that cheap? i thought it was a creative decision not to.

Also, are they going to get to continue to use the old hospital they were filming in, or does NBC have claim to that?
Zach plays the central character in the show, with all the other characters revolving around him. Scrubs is life through JD's eyes. Thats why the episodes are called 'My .....' You cant remove or replace that main character and expect the show to function as normal. It would really change the show, probably for the worst. What, are they going to call the episodes 'Their Story 123456.....'?

I would rather see a conclusion than a fade out.
This just prooves how dumb and cheap NBC is! Which are they more though? Dumb: On how many quaitly shows they cancel and how many dumb ones they hold on to. I still dont know why NBC cancelled Third Watch instead of giving it its 7th season. They should have tried and moved it to Monday. I also thought 1 Vs 100 was great and doing good I guess not!

Cheap: on presenting very little of there shows in HD. I have full HD service from DirecTV. Of cource I have NBCHD but very little of there there shows are presented in HD.

I only watch SVU.
No matter how things go, if the show lasts one season on ABC or goes for more with or without Zach, it's just really nice to see the show finally get some support. It deserves it.
I dont get it, his name is Neil Flynn, doesnt anyone read the credits?
No Zach? I'm only a casual fan of Scrubs and I liked his character. Without him the humor maybe severly lacking.
Nope, I won't watch it without Zach (if they decide to continue with the show). I would have the same reaction if the Janitor, dr Cox or dr Reed would leave the show.
i agree with everyone. it should end with Zach Braff.
I'm all for letting them try. If it sucks with a new cast, oh well. But if there is a chance that it can be 1/2 as funny as it is now, it's worth the risk. There just aren't that many good sitcoms left out there anymore.
Agreed, Zach plays the main character. We can always hear what he's thinking. I really love Scrubs but I'd rather it end with ZB than continue without him.
Yeah it should end with Zach Braff. That 70's Show was crap when Topher Grace left... it went on too long. Scrubs without Zach Braff would be like a brain dead patient at sacred heart, pull the plug.
It won't be the same without the original cast; if this is ZB's last season, I'd done too.
If the show keeps going, will he put off Janitor's name? I don't think I could deal with 7 more seasons of him being called anything other than "Janitor."