ABC Mixes Up Its Midseason and Sends Happy Endings to Fridays

ABC did some tidying up of its midseason schedule late last night, and in the process continued its inhumane treatment of one of television's best comedies. Sorry, Happy Endings, you done been screwed again.

Beginning March 29, "the critically acclaimed comedy Happy Endings," as ABC referred to it in a press release, will be excommunicated to Friday nights at 8pm, where it will air back-to-back episodes because for some reason ABC can't wait to get this show off the air as fast as possible. This continues ABC's cruel game of "Where's Happy Endings?" which over the course of the show's three seasons has challenged viewers to find the comedy as it's been bounced around the network's schedule. With this new move, Happy Endings will have spent time on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.

And what is forcing ABC to give Happy Endings the Friday treatment? The incredibly important social experiment Celebrity Wife Swap! Semi-famous spouses will be traded on Tuesday nights at 8pm starting February 26, pushing back the awful cooking competition The Taste by an hour into Happy Endings' old spot.

So not only is Happy Endings getting moved to Fridays, it will take an unceremonious month-long break before it gets there (while waiting for the current tenants of ABC's Fridays-from-8pm-to-9pm hour, Last Man Standing and Malibu Country, to finish out their current seasons). It's gonna take a miracle for Happy Endings to get renewed for Season 4. I give up.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

Love this show. Much funnier than Modern Family.
I am ready for it to go, it is one of ABC's worst shows along with Suburgatory. Neither are anywhere near funny.
This is old, but you are so terribly wrong. This is easily ABC's best show.
blasphemy!!!!
Awful news. After Apartment 23 got cancelled the only comedy shows I watch are Happy endings and Community. What is wrong with the people? The same time those god awful new girls etc. are still on. Unbelievable.
I'm sorry... *Celebrity Wife Swap*?!!!!!! what the HECK?! I mean... WHAT?!
I hope and pray some Network exec decides to pick up Happy Endings (even though it's rare it happens) especially as it's close to syndication, right? It really is the greatest comedy on TV right now. But like all the recent greats it goes completely under appreciated.
Have you heard of that website where people invest in business ideas in order to get them launched? They then earn interest on their investment if it is a success. Maybe that should happen with TV programs. That way we could pay to keep the shows we like and it would have nothing to do with fake viewing figures. There would be no timeslotting massacres. You'd watch it when you wanted to and no one could cancel it if you missed an episode.
I could care less which night of the week it shows, as long as I get to watch it. I am disappointed, not only about the month long wait, but the low chances it has of renewal. I would compare this show up next to How I Met Your Mother for a comedy show as being one of the best. Sadly ABC has a tendency to know nothing of quality.
why is it great shows get cancelled and horrible shows continue who cares about wife swaps enough already ill follow happy endings where ever they go
I just puked in my mouth
I'm confused. Do people actually still watch television the day a show airs? If you really love a show you must have some old vhs-recorder somewhere you can use?
Or you know DVRs. I can almost never watch a show the very night it airs. Never mind the fact that ratings don't even reflect every person that owns a TV (which, lets face it, is pretty much everyone.) Only a percentage, you have to be selected to participate in the Nielsen program which measures the ratings, and that's only for a short time.
This show is what How I Met Your Mother used to be!! I am going to miss it, stupid ABC for treating any shows like this!
Good... The first season of Happy Endings was a treat. It was funny and different from everything else out there on television. Unfortunately now its a total piece of crap and I'll be glad to see it go...

And for anyone who has a problem with that, I'll reference the fact that it doesn't get anymore "jump the shark"-ier than having the couple whose break up set the entire plot of the show get back together
Erm... did you not read the title of the show you were bashing?
"Happy Endings"?!
Did it not imply to you that they were going to get back together? I really don't know how Dave and Alex getting back together means that the show has "jumped the shark" - the show still has the exact same tone and sense of humor that it used to.
Compare this to Friends, which was pitched to the audience as a group of 6 platonic friends. Suddenly, two of them are dating, in a relationship that was WAY too serious, and took away from the show's humor. There were long stretches in episodes of Friends where Ross and Rachel would fight, without a single joke or funny moment. Yelling "WE WERE ON A BREAK" repeatedly does not a funny scene make.
Happy Endings, on the other hand, has successfully reunited a couple, much to the insinuation of the show's title and much to the chagrin of FoxZerro. It has not led to any "serious" scenes, and the transition wasn't at all awkward.
A total piece of crap? While inferior shows like New Girl and The Mindy Project have tried to copy it's esthetic and pacing? May be a BIT of an overstatement.
More +
I very recently discovered this show. It is pure gold, really wish it doesn't die :(
WTF, ABC, WTF. Thanks for showing a complete lack of respect for the fanbase. This is why companies like Netflix are taking over. They bring BACK shows, instead of trying to axe them, like you do.
Duh... Community's return last week drew higher numbers. OBVIOUSLY if you abuse a great show, the fans make a big deal of following it to "prove the network wrong" about its viability. NBC banished Community to Fridays, then took it off the schedule entirely. ABC has been trying to kill off Happy Endings since the first season, when they aired the whole first season in, like, 3 weeks in the summertime.

Still, tough to get around the timeslot o' death.
i liked Apt.23 better, but it was funny sometimes, a sad loss of a good comedy (although not my particular cup of tea...)
Apt. 23 was just as great, if not better. Van Der Beek, unleash your fury!
Hey. Hey, TBS. *wink wink nudge nudge*
I think CT and HE would make a nice couple on TBS
I started thinking about that too when I first heard about Happy Endings being bumped to Sundays...TBS can be like the savior of ABC comedies that they screw!
I'd be up for that. It's not as if TBS is going to create anything on its' own that's worth watching. I have no idea if anyone is currently watching CougarTown on it but at least I can finally respect the network for at least once having a quality show (that's not a rerun).
They used to have one quality show before they decided to be the Tyler Perry channel: My Boys. Still miss it (although, admittedly, the last season was not nearly as good without Jim Gaffigan).
Fuck ABC. They don't know a good thing when they have it. No Happy Endings and No Bitch in 23? Guess I don't have any reason to watch ABC anymore.
That's one of the three best comedies on the air! Who is the great decision maker at ABC?!!!
that's sad.. too sad..
Really, to the network, it doesn't matter if a show is really good, it depends on the amount of people that watch it. Happy Endings is not getting very many people to watch it, so, in ABC's eyes, it would be a good idea to cancel it and next year air new comedies (or two Wednesday comedies assuming all 6 get renewed.)
people would watch it if ABC would give some stability to this show..
DISCLAIMER: I love Happy Endings and am furious that it's likely going to be cancelled.

But back to reality: Everyone is bashing ABC, but what are they supposed to do? Nobody LEGALLY watches the show! The last episode that was shown, "Our Best Friend's Wedding", was watched by a grand total of 2.85 million people and registered a 1.3 in the 18-49 demo! Meanwhile, yesterday's Modern Family was watched by 10.05 million people and registered a 3.8 in the 18-49 demo. It's a BUSINESS - if you were in their shoes, what would you do? Stick with the show that is being ignored by its supposed fans, or stick with the show that makes the company a boatload of money? If people really cared about Happy Endings, they would watch it, regardless of the changing timeslot. If you love a show, you'll make an effort to watch it, plain and simple. Unfortunately, nobody seems to understand this.
Thing is though, unless you are glued to the tv 24-7, it is way too easy to miss the few commercials missing the new time and day of a show. The show was shipped around so such in one season, it was a wonder it got any ratings at all. Five spots in one season is a bit much. For a show that was actually gaining ratings, this was show murder.
I don't know about anyone else, but 2.85 million people are a lot of people!, Why do we not matter? Especially since the majority of people like shit tv, those 2.8 million are probably all of the smart people.
In the TV business, 2.85 million is a pittance, and a 1.3 in the 18-49 demo is VERY low - other shows (even other ABC shows) absolutely dwarf that amount. The Big Bang Theory, for example, routinely pulls in 17-18 million viewers a week and has hit a 6.3 in the 18-49 demo this season (and the show even outperforms competition when it airs reruns while the others air new episodes). No network is going to stick with a show when only 2.85 million people tune in. It's not worth it financially, because advertisers are not going to pay anything for commercials in a timeslot with numbers like that. Honestly, you can't and shouldn't expect ABC to stick with a sinking ship - they have to do what's best for them, and that means keeping low-rated shows off the air. Trust me, I'm just as upset as the next guy about the likely cancellation, but I also understand and respect the business side of things.
Here's the deal though, it doesn't matter what you, me or the rest of the people reading this do to support this show, watch it or not, unless one of us has a Nielsen box in their home. Those numbers you're quoting aren't actual numbers. They are estimations based on the 25-30 thousand homes that have Nielsen boxes in them (out of the 114+ million television homes in the U.S.) That's approximately 0.02%. Not two percent, mind you. It's two hundredths of a percent. Also known as the world's worst sampling size. And yet, these estimations (with an enormous margin of error that everyone simply ignores) are taken as gospel and, until something better comes along, are the only currency recognized by the advertisers - and therefore the networks. The DVR numbers are actually more indicative of the popularity of a show than Nielsen. And since there's no way to know how many people are watching a DVR playback (or what demographic they fall into), even those numbers fall short of reflecting actual viewership. Common sense would tell us that when shows like Happy Endings or Don't Trust the B---- or Community gain huge boosts in DVR numbers, they actually have more eyes watching in real time and viewing precious advertisements than Nielsen would seem to indicate. The travesty is that DVR numbers are universally and erroneously seen as undesirable viewers who skip all commercials, and are therefore not counted toward the almighty advertising dollar - which works out well for the advertisers, don't you think? So, until there's a better system than Nielsen, which has had a stranglehold on the industry for 60+ years, we are all at the mercy of the lowest common denominator and extremely rare Nielsen household. Enjoy your low-cost reality shows.
More +
You're definitely correct, but it's the only system that's in place right now. Until a new system is devised, this is what advertisers are going to use. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing that can be done about it.
The catch being, if you don't support your good shows, the fans won't watch your shows (good or not) because they think it's going to get the hook, or get shuffled off to different nights, or just disappear entirely for months at a time. And then you don't get the monster hits.

Seinfeld didn't draw numbers at first, either.
@docspector and mrjimmyjames - See, but that's not entirely true either. Seasons 1 & 2 both aired entirely on Wednesdays and was not shuffled around (except for a couple of timeslot changes in Season 1 while remaining on Wednesdays) - yet, while each season's ratings started off decently, they tanked by the end. The pilot episode was watched by 7.30 million people, but the Season 1 finale, "Why Can't You Read Me?", was only watched by 2.98 million people. Similarly, the Season 2 premiere, "Blax, Snake, Home", was watched by 7.25 million people, but the Season 2 finale, "Four Weddings and a Funeral
(Minus Three Weddings and One Funeral)", plummeted to only 3.67 million people. So, you really can't blame ABC for the bad ratings - even when the show had a permanent Wednesday timeslot, people still stopped watching the show.
Could be wrong, but I could of sworn the show had great numbers last year on Wednesdays. It seems to me ABC just stranded them on a risky night this year and left the show to die.
I'm so sad, I love this show! It's so funny I have no idea why ABC is being a d***. These networks need to find some way other than old Nielsen boxes to figure out what people are DVRing, (or downloading from illegal sites, yikes!) and not just move around great shows or cancel new ones before they get legs...
The network has no reason to care what people are DVRing, or downloading. The network is in the business of delivering eyeballs to advertisers, not programs to viewers. People who watch shows on DVR don't watch the commercials, so the people who pay for commercials don't pay for DVR viewers. They REALLY don't care about downloaders, who contribute nothing.
I don't watch Happy Endings, but I'm surprised to see it get treated like this. It has to have better ratings than 90% of the comedies on all other networks combined. I'm actually surprised that this show got knocked from Thursdays. It really belongs in the power-comedy block with The Middle, Modern Family, and Suburgatory. THE NEIGHBORS?!?!? How does that show get.....ANYthing, while Happy Endings gets jerked around? (Okay, yeah, so I don't watch the show, but that doesn't mean I can't weigh in on if it seems to be a show that should be popular and thus ScrewWith-proof. Celebrity Wife Swap and The Taste. Ugh. Proof that humanity will meet a dark end. I weep for our children.
booooooooooooo
"I am not as dumb as I am"... Yes, ABC, you are!
What the frack ABC... I hate you.
Why does it seem like the cw is making the good choices now?
That was the CW's plan all along. Play it like they weren'ta contender in the big netwrok leagues, and slowly start to rebuild their programming while the big networks make bad decision after bad decision. The CW will rule all in the end. LOL. I'm half kidding.
Oh, and uh, *while sobbing*... I don't hate Revenge, Modern Family, or Suburgatory, but if both Don't Trust the B and Happy Endings are canceled, I'm officially boycotting ABC and depriving myself of that soap opera and those two lesser but decent comedies.
Decent???!! Suburgatory is SUPERIOR in every way to Happy Endings.
Or not. Happy Endings is my second-favorite network comedy, trailing only Community. I gave up on Suburgatory about six episodes in.
Again, I don't hate it -- I've continued to watch it because I like it. But unless the definition of superior has changed, I stand by my word choice. It has its moments and episodes, but some of the characters have gotten dull (ie. Dallas) or progressively unlikable (ie. Tessa), and I find myself laughing a little less and less after each passing episode. Of course, I guess some could say the same about Happy Endings, but I'd disagree.
Suburgatory, while decent enough, has numerous problems (IMO). For one, as stated above, Tessa isn't particularly likable and never really has been. It's not a great idea to make the star of the show the one you least want to see.

But its biggest problems to me are the pairings of George with Dallas and Tessa with Ryan. Neither one of these "couples" has the slightest amount of chemistry or believability and having the writers mash them together is awkward at best and painful at worst.

(We now return to our regularly scheduled program.) Sorry to hear this news about Happy Endings. It just goes to prove that you can lead a horse (viewer) to water (funny show) but you can't make him drink.
I think Suburgatory has gotten a lot better in season 2. They've done a great job of using the supporting characters more, especially the Shays.
I think it has gotten worse, because they show too much of the Shays. The show had a great mix of silly and sweet in season 1. Season 2 has gone a long way to make everyone cartoony, and the Shays are the cartooniest (making up words now) of the bunch.
FUCK YOU ABC! Go back to airing generic family fare that bores audiences for years and years of low ratings. You take funny shows for the middle of the key demo age group and you put them in family hour, you surround them with unwatchable pap and generic fare, and then when you finally stumble over building a loyal audience you tinker with timeslots and ruin everything, then shovel them out the door and ask yourself why nobody respects you next pilot season rolls around. Suck the reaper's fat one, alphabet network.
WHO WILL I MISS MOST?!?! I'LL MISS ALL OF THEM!!! DUH!!! *sobs*
Oh my god, really, Celebrity Wife Swap?? Ok, I literally don't know ANYONE in my life who EVER watches reality tv, except my sister still tunes into American Idol a couple times a season, for which I kind of make fun of her, and one of my best friends still watches Top Chef. (Ok, fine, you caught me. I freaking loved Top Chef season 2.) But at least American Idol, Top Chef, and others like So You Think You Can Dance showcase people who have a talent that many of the rest of us lack. Good for them. What on EARTH is the point of Celebrity Wife Swap? If I wanted to kill brain cells, I'd have a beer or four! I'd like to see data on who actually watches garbage like that. If it turns out that a significant portion of the viewers are under eighteen, I think it should be cancelled and the network fined. It should be illegal to injure peoples' developing brains like that.

Also, I love Happy Endings. A lot.
I, also, don't know anyone who watched reality TV (okay, fine, I watch Project Runway still...). However, there's one flaw in our own demo group: we're most likely surrounded by INTELLIGENT people, which apparently, is the not the majority. So, yeah, we're being lowered to the smallest common denominator because it's more convenient for all of us to be dumbasses than to try to cater to different types of people.
Well it looks like ABC is vying to unseat NBC in their competition to see which one of them can keep their heads up their arse for the longest time. NBC is still winning.
Devastating, all I ask is since they haven't filmed the finale, is give the show a happy ending.
Apparently ABC just hates showing television shows. After cancelling 'Last Resort' & 'Don't Trust the B' I wouldn't be the least bit sorry to see one of 'The Big Three' go the way of the 8 track tape.
Now it feels hopeless. At least they get to finish their season.
so weirdddd.... lol
screw you ABC.. seems like even NBC treats comedies better than you do now. Happy Endings is easily funnier than Modern Family, which they're obsessed with. also maybe if they hadn't tried to double up on episodes to seemingly burn them off, they wouldn't have to take it off for a month. idiots. I saw we form our own network and put the others out of business!
i Hate ABC never going to watch a new show on that network ever if they cancel Happy Endings. Just going to finish the shows i watch now and then im done with this stupid network.
The world is a cruel, cruel place.
Hate......ABC......so......much
I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that, at present, Nikita and something on CBS is the biggest competition. Its funny, a new episode hasn't aired since I had to decide to watch it on demand because I really like other shows that have more watercooler fodder on Tuesdays.
kitchen nightmares will be its biggest competition
Oh, I forgot about Gordon Ramsey yelling at people...
not just yelling, he pretends to care too