ABC moves Trees, pulls Degrees

Beginning November 30, ABC will air Men in Trees, which stars Anne Heche as a New York fish in Alaskan water, on Thursday's at 10 p.m. following Grey's Anatomy. The show will replace Six Degrees, a drama that has struggled in the ratings against ER and Shark.

Trees has averaged 7 million viewers in its Friday night 9 p.m. berth. The show is from former Sex and the City writer Jenny Bicks.

Six Degrees will return to the schedule in January. The show, which tells the tale of New Yorkers whose lives are intertwined in mystical ways, has struggled against a resurgent ER on NBC and a solid Shark on CBS.

The network will air a repeat of last week's Desperate Housewives in the spot tonight. ABC has made no announcement as to what will air in Trees vacated Friday slot or what it will air in the Thursday slot for the remainder of the November sweeps period.

The addition of well-reviewed Trees to Thursday ups the ante on the night even more. Grey's and CSI already duke it out in a clash of ratings titans, and NBC recently announced it would move the Tina Fey comedy 30 Rock to the night to form an all-comedy block reminiscent of its "must see TV" glory days.

ABC had originally planned to pair trees with fellow freshman Ugly Betty on Fridays, forming a "women's night" of TV. As the fall season approached, the network decided to move Betty to Thursday, where it has flourished.

i think that ABC does not know when a good show is on. i have no idea why they have to pull out the show six degrees. it is a good show with good actors. maybe they should cancel men in trees and put back six degrees. whoever decided to pull out six degrees is stupid. it was a very stupid decision.
Love Six Degrees, great show. Happy it will be back on in January. Whats up with Ugly Betty? That has to be, by far, the dumbest thing ever to cross my tv screen. What were you thinking ABC? Who actually watches such garbage? Anyone? Anyone? Men in trees is cute and lighthearted, just a feel good kind of show and sometimes thats all we need. With it actually being filmed in Canada I like to watch closely to catch the mess ups as they try to pass it off as Alaska. However, a show full of Alaskan men? How can you go wrong? I'll keep watching.
ER ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love to see that it's getting its proper amount of viewers, because it's one of the best shows ever, and it has to keep that way.
I've never watched Six Degrees, but that's because no channel has brought it here to Argentina. But being a huge fan of Alias, I've probably would've loved the show.
Goooodd!! But sad for Six Degrees
Why is everyone so upset about Six Degrees going on hiatus? It is obvious that it wasn't doing well enough in the ratings to warrant it's time slot. It was getting clobbered by ER and Shark in the ratings.

When a network puts a show in a timeslot, it is trying to get enough viewers to watch it so that it at least breaks even on the costs of production and airing. It does this by making money on the advertising. You know, those commercials you see during the show's breaks.

If a one-hour show costs, say, $1 million per episode to produce and air each week, then the network needs to get at least that amount of money each week in advertising revenue for that show. It does this by selling advertising and basing the rate that they charge by the number of viewers as stated by the Nielsen ratings. The more viewers, the more money they make from advertising revenue during the show's timeslot.

If they don't bring in that $1 million per episode that it costs, but instead say $900,000 per episode, then they are losing $100K per episode. What company is going to be willing to lose $100K per week on a product (the show) without making changes or halting production altogether?

You want Six Degrees to be a success? Then do your part to try to increase viewership. That will increase ratings, and in turn, the network's revenue from airing the show.

Increase viewership by telling everyone you meet about Six Degrees. Loan them copies of your show's recording to watch during the 6 week hiatus so that when it re-appears in January, it will have even more people ready to watch it.

If you just sit around and whine and moan, all you will be doing is just ensuring that Six Degrees gets no more new viewers, and it will still continue to struggle in the ratings. That will cause ABC to pull the plug after a few weeks, since they will continue to lose money airing it.
I tried to watch Anne Heche in the Trees, but I LOVE Six Degrees! Its the best show ABC has put out since Lost. Both are on hiatus??? I don't want to be stuck watching CBS, so I guess I won't be on the air until the return. Come on ABC! Ugly Betty? Gimme a break!
Six Degrees is an excellent show. It keeps me glued all the way through. I like the different stories intertwined so that eventually they have A commonality. I was surprised this quality series is being done by the same people that are involved with Loser LOST.

I also love Anne Heche's Men in Trees. I was surprised because I don't like the actress as a person, but she is good, and the writing for the show is good too.
Wow! first I'll say that I am bumded out about six degrees. I watch all of the new shows this fall and thou six degrees wasn't my favorite of the bunch it was still in my top five. I am really sad to see it go (not as sad as I was about Smith thou) but hope that it does better in winter. But hey I love Men in Trees!!!! even my boyfriend likes it. Its witty, smart and different. I forgot what a good actress anne is and think that if she can make me forget that I am watching her then she must be doing good. Give it a chance people!! thou I am mad it moved nights because there is nothing on on fridays.
I too love Six Degrees for many reasons because it is smart, interesting and entertaining. Plus, lately Shiri Appleby has been on the show and that is a big plus to me. But most of all the show is entertaining. That's the problem with commercial television, it's all about commerce and not entertainment. I have a few PVRs. But my favorite is the Replay TV model that's long in the tooth but it still automatically skips commercials. Man, I love it. Tonight, before I watched Heroes, I watched a full hour of regular tv and their ads. Several ads (Diamonds, VW, Old Navy, Arbys) kept repeating the same ad spot. One of the ads was for a new show called 3lbs about brain surgeons. It repeated 7 times, if my count is correct, and they too were all identical.

So, it comes down to selling and not entertaining. If you don't think that's true then you have no concept of the terms November Sweeps and May Sweeps. These months are key for Networks to get the most advertising dollars that they can. So, during the sweeps period Networks must put on the most popular shows to bring in the most viewers so that they can claim 'Big Numbers' for ad revenue. Good shows like Six Degrees fall to the way side unless they can get 'the numbers'. The rest, as they say, is history. I hope when January arrives that Six Degrees gets another shot.
STUPID DECISION... I can't stand anything with Anne Heche attached to it... 6 Degress is a far superior show.

I wonder who Heche is sleeping with now... to get her show on TV.

Bummer... I liked 6 degrees.
interesting....?
The hell. Men in trees wasn't that great. I fell asleep through an episode of it. No kiddin' and I'm not going to give it a chance.

Six Degrees, ooh man. Beautiful show. I can't believe Men in Trees is replacing the show. I was soo pissed off when I first saw the repeat of Desperate Housewives and I was freaking out, googled everywhere to see if the show was cancelled or not. Boooo.
I hope that this move won't affect Men In Trees. Someone here mentioned that they think that Men In Trees is a terrible show. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions. HOwever, I would expect someone who hasn't really given the show a chance to say something like that. Men In Trees is a wonderful show. It's the kind of show that grows on you if you let it. It's a show about love and relationships. It's a very quotable show. I can relate to some of the characters. I hope more people discover this show. It's a wonderful new show. It makes you want to believe in love again. Maybe it's just the romantic in me speaking. I just want other people to love the show like I love it. Please do give it a chance.
love this show
Loved the pilot for Six Degrees, but hated the shows. It is lucky to be back in January.
Please just leave well enough alone! There once was a time when I wouldn't even consider missing ER but it's gotten old. Six Degrees was an awesome alternative. I can't believe you took it away. I'm a fan of Men In Trees as well, but now there will be nothing to watch on Friday! AAAAAH!
I was so looking forward watching Six Degrees last night! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ABC?! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe this! Men in trees is the most stupid show ever. I watched a little bit of it the first night it was on and refuse to ever put myself through that agony again! Now they will get less ratings in this spot than they did with Six Degrees (which don't appear to be bad in the first place).
I am so sick of networks deciding what we should watch! Men in trees is the most pathetic attempt at drama/humor - not sure what! Six degrees is a first rate show with a great cast and story line......Why do the networks pull the good shows but leave the boring, mind numbing junk on? Do they think that americans are morons and thus only allow moronic shows to flourish??? Admittedly there are a few excellent shows on right now that are a hit, but six degrees, that I was really getting into get's pulled - hopefully it will come back in January stronger than ever!
this is ridiculous that the cut Six Degrees until January. all of these networks need to make up there minds hte keep taking shows and ruining them and try to tell us that they will definetly keep the show after the put it on hiatus for a few months its a bunch of BS.
I am so tired of them pulling good shows to put on a show like Trees.. what are they thinking! CBS did this with Smith, the best new drama since Reality shows took over! I hope trees never makes it passed its 2 week and they put 6 degrees back on. Who wants to wait until January, Guess I'll be watching something else on TiVo during that time slot! Thank god for Tivo with these line-ups and yanks.
Can't say I really care either way. I tried to watch six degrees for a couple of weeks but just couldn't get into it. As for Men in Trees, i only watch it occasionly so I may watch it if its on after grey's but I have a busy life and am usually ready to sleep by 10 on Thursdays.
Six degrees was one good show, I admit it was not perfect but it was good. I'm very very sad. I havent seen Men in Trees so maybe I have to get up to date on it before it starts on thursdays.
Six Degrees on January... good!
We're very sad to see Degrees go.
Well since I already copy both ER and Shark I will not longer be able to watch Men in Trees until my DVR is equipped with a triple tuner........now that would be nice.
Networks really do believe that we have no lives, why would they take an audience of 7 mil and expect them to switch their viewing to a different night. I have never understood that mentality since Networks started the Shuffle. Like Scrubs, after they moved it I never watched it again except in reruns. I have a life and a schedule. Just because I like a show doesn't mean I'm going to take a night off work just to watch it. What if the 7 mil are part of the audience that's currently watching the resurgent ER and round out their week with Trees, they're probably not going to stop watching ER just to tune in on a show that has already moved once and might be canceled before the end of the season. I refuse to believe that Networks are really that Stupid to think that we'll just follow our favorite show around the schedule and adjust our lives around what ever nights they decide to put them on. You cannot capture a night or an audience with a new show unless you give it the time to interest us.
What gives??? This show is well thought out. The subplots are interesting and the writers have done a great job of developing each character and I can't believe the show has "struggled" as much as ABC claims it has. It would be a shame for an intriguing show like this to be cancelled after one season. If I were ABC, I'd run it on Wednesday at 10:00 p.m. against week competition. Here are the latest ratings released November 7th. Six Degrees (10:01-11:00 p.m.)

During the 10 o'clock hour, ABC's freshman Six Degrees continued to outperform its CBS freshman drama competition (Shark) among Adults 18-34 (3.0/9), as well as among Women 18-34 (4.1/12) and Women 18-49 (4.6/11). Six Degrees advantage over Shark was 20% among Adults 18-34 (3.0/9 vs. 2.5/7).

Since its debut, Six Degrees has improved ABC's numbers the hour by 47% in Total Viewers (9.4 million vs. 6.4 million) and by 77% in Adults 18-49 (3.9/10 vs. 2.2/6) over the same nights last season.
I really love Six Degrees - very disappointed that it was not on tonite -- can't wait for Jan. No matter was nite it's I won't be watching anne heche in anything. But this decision removes the conflict of taping Shark -- now I can just watch it. But Six Degree better be back.
six degrees is one of the best new shows of the fall....
I thought the pilot of 6 degree was great and intriguing, but the hype sort tide dwon in the next few episodes. It's great idea and will be interesting to see how the characters will cross-paths eventually. I'm into Men in Trees only for the stunning Alsakian backdrop, otherwise there's just too much shadows of Sex in the city, which for me personally, i don't believe in repeating. Great now it's probably going to be just Sharks then.
YEA! I'm so glad they are moving it to Thursdays, now I can watch it again.
I really like six degrees. I was looking forward to watching it tonight.
I like Men in Tree's....but what about SHARK! I have to watch Shark.I'm getting so confused...watching TV has become stressful...
Six Degrees is a great show and I'm glad they aren't cancelling it! I refuse to watc Men in Trees though. Uggh! And 30 Rock isn't even all that funny! ER needs to stop. Soon.
January?????? Oh Man!!!!! :o. I love both of those shows and I can't wait until January for Six Degrees. Heck I was all feared up to watch it tonight! Darn. Oh well...Patience is a virtue and at least it's not being canned.
Men In Trees needs to be canceled.

I thought that when it said "pulls Degrees" it meant it was canceled. But it's coming back in January. Geez you tv.com writers are drama queens ready to spark any sort of talk that a show is canceled when it's really not.

I hope Six Degrees at least gets one full season, but much like The Nine I don't know where it would go or for how long they could drag it out after that. Though that has been disproved in many cases... Prison Break comes to mind.
minimax, yes that is what it was supposed to say but there was a server issue. it's the internet's fault!
Whatever. I'm still watching Shark.
interesting