ABC opts to offer all programming in Spanish

Beginning September 19, ABC will offer its entire primetime entertainment lineup in Spanish--saying that it's the first English-language broadcast network to do so on such a large scale--through a combination of closed-captioning and dubbing.

Returning shows Housewives and Lost and new comedy Freddie will be dubbed, with casting under way for the actors who will voice the roles. In addition, George Lopez will continue to be dubbed as it has been since its 2001 premiere. The remainder of the network's primetime entertainment series will be available with Spanish subtitles.

ABC's longform programming and select specials also will be available in Spanish, including the upcoming TV movie Have No Fear: The Life of John Paul II, which will be dubbed, and Peanuts specials like A Charlie Brown Christmas. (The dubbed versions are available via the second audio program, or SAP, option on televisions; Spanish-subtitled versions will be found on closed caption 3 channel, or CC3.)

ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson said it was a "good time to take the steps" to reach more Spanish-speaking viewers.

"There's 41 million-plus Hispanics in the viewing market, and we're a broadcast network, so if we can reach more people, that's great," McPherson said.

He added that a test screening of Housewives for Spanish-speaking viewers who had never watched the series was met with overwhelmingly positive reaction.

"The show couldn't have gotten more press last year, but we were screening for people who hadn't seen the show," he said. "What was really interesting was we were trying to ask questions about the differences in subtitles and dubbing, and all they wanted to know was how to get more copies and whether the DVD was going to be available in Spanish."

Along with George Lopez, other ABC programming previously available in Spanish included major theatricals and this year's Oscar telecast. The theatricals also will continue to be dubbed, including the upcoming network premieres of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, and Old School.

Additional reporting by The Hollywood Reporter.

Subtitle Screw up the show, Most all tv's come equiped with built in subtitles, I speak engish If I want spanish subtitles I'll turn it on myself or not. It not up to ABC to teach me spanish, If you don't like ABC's Approach join me and stop watching ABC for awhile, their ratings will drop and they'll stop.

Note to ABC:

If your trying to attract a hispanic audience
then why are your commercials not subtitled?

(It Makes No Sense) Boycott ABC !!!!!!!!
Many spanish speaking people will be jovial after hearing this.
silvergun18, btw the way. You are that minoity. It is a FACT that the majority of Americans support English as the official lanuage, over 70% and its about 55% for immigrants.

The largest pro-english language group US English is run by an immigrant who speaks spanish at home but want english as the official language. So get off your high horse and join the rest of us!
silvergun18, just be quiet ok? You have no clue what you are talking about, you rather just attack people who disagree with you.

The fact is there are hordes of illegal immigrants, 100,000 a month and that is a well documented fact! The other fact is it costs the government billions of taxpayer dollars to deal with this and that money would be better spent elsewhere.

Spanish has not been the defacto 2nd language of this nation, until the past 30 years it wasn't spoken here that much. The fact is this has nothing to do with hating anybody, it has to do with the majority understanding that in an increasingly diverse nation one common language is a necessity! The lack of communication only causes hatred and misunderstanding, also people not speaking english here get taken advantage of and are cursed to low pay crap jobs. I also don't think providing the SAME thing in Spanish qualifies as "culture".

Of course you insult people who disagree with you, and that shows you can't defend your point of view with intelligence and maturity. It is sad that you can't see the errors and flaws in a tower babble policy that divides us down the lines of language.

(Before you shoot of insults again, I know alot of Mexicans and the best teacher I have at my college is also Mexican, so don't give me that i hate mexicans crap)
Sorry Paul, U.S. citizenship does not come in one color or with one culture. I find it weird how you dismiss so many citizens as coming from a "horde of illegal aliens." You say the government "wastes" billions of dollars serving its citizens but it's obviously not a waste to print documents in English to support people like yourself, right?

I am starting to think this has nothing to do with Spanish and everything to do about how much you fear those who are different than you are, American or not.
It's always funny when you see how many of the faction promoting the balklanization of the US into a multilingual flophouse does NOT themselves have mastery over any other language besides English. Note to the uninformed: speaking (as well as reading and writing) in a second or third language is not that big of a deal. It is a big deal when your government wastes billions of dollars serving a tower of babble coming from a horde of illegal aliens.
It sounds like a great idea. Spanish has long been the defacto second language of the United States for over a hundred years. It is only natural that the networks want to cater to such a large untapped audience.

As for the small ignorant minority that usually rears its ugly head...get over yourselves. A little culture won't kill you.
Not only should English be the official language of government and all government services, it should be mandatory that all means of communication making use of the public airwaves broadcast only in English. Non English broadcasting on public airwaves should be banned. Of course, if immigration laws were enforced and illegals deported, this all would not be a problem.
It's a lot like when I go to my local Best Buy or Target... Within the past few months, all of them have replaced all the signs in the store with English / Spanish ones.

I'm all for the U.S. government passing an English is the national language law...
hmm this is actually pretty good for me. if i wanna practice my listening skills in spanish, i can watch my favorite shows in it instead of crappy low budget ones on the channels no one has heard of :D
Its only time when spanish will become the 2nd offical language of the states...

THank god i know how to speak it!
Thank goodness we are all grown ups and we know we live in a world of many langauges and cultures. Thank goodness we have come to realize that there are many people in the USA that english is not their native language.

With 41 million views that are spanish I myself am glad for this new programming.

Aprenda a respetar uno al otro.
Dubbing the show? I don't think that's such a good idea.
TM56 I agree 100%!! Immigrants need to learn english and this just gives them a reason not to. Its so bad schools in Texas tell their employees to learn spanish or get fired.
Great, another reason for immigrants not to try to learn how to speak English in this country who come here. I'm sick and tired of trying to talk to someone who doesn't know English in a department store or other places of business. Now the networks are catering to it.

English is the OFFICIAL language here. Learn to speak it!
que coooooool