ABC's Wednesday Comedies: Finale Thoughts

Victory laps. The party after the awards show. The moment the fancy dress becomes a party dress and the nerves become smiles. You hang up the running shoes, or slough off the tanning oil and unclench your pecs and bite into a baked potato. Time for carbs, time for rest, time to savor the sense of accomplishment. ABC's Wednesday comedy block is trickling into full-on reruns, so let us put our judging caps aside and simply revel in how amazing our comedies were last night. Let athlete and referee, ballet teacher and fatty, chess master and pop star join hands and love each other with all that we are. And then we’ll see how all our blocks averaged in our first season of FOR THE WEDNESDAY!

The Middle: "The Wedding"

Norm MacDonald is Mike's brother! Who doesn’t absolutely love Norm, he’s made me giggle since my girlhood days of watching his SNL David Letterman impression (nevermind that I had seen a collective 20 minutes of Letterman, MacDonald was hilarious in and of himself). And he brought his delightful, forthright awkwardness to bear with restraint and charm during the Heck family’s lovable season finale. While the odds of someone inviting everyone to your house for a wedding and not telling you are pretty slim, I absolutely loved Frankie freaking out about the messy house. We’ve all been at that dirt-shame breaking-point, or at least I’m at that point every three months or so. The Middle is so unabashedly poor and it keeps things so sweetly real and raw, yet before this week their ramshackle house was embedded in throwaway or visual jokes (beach chairs at the dinner table), so for Frankie to kind of freak out about that and articulate the cruddy realities that make cleaning up so horrific was touching and hilarious. (Also, she screamed at Mike about how their life was a claustrophobic, crumbling nightmare with the door to the bedroom wide open so the kids could chalk up another point on their "Incidence of Marital Strife" chalkboard.) Sue trying so hard to help and negotiating a hideous wedding cake that was relatively a victory and then finally being pushed past her limits was a good illustration of what wedding planning can do even to the best of us. Plus Eden Sher's breakdown-and-gush beforehand was such a beautiful encapsulation of everything I love about the character of Sue. Mike gave a speech that let us know his thoughts have lingered a little too long over the sweet peace of the grave, and Axl and his pals got a chance to do some physical humor. All in all, a touching au revoir for a sweet little show that keeps it real (below P-Heats’ neck, at least).

“Finale” Words: Frankie, you love these kids and hate to clean? Me too!

Modern Family: “Baby On Board”

What's better than a gay prom date? Sure, you can go to the dance with someone you like and either a) get your heart broken or b) get pregnant, or you can have a fun, stress-free night out with a table full of friends. I've done both versions of prom and let me tell you, they were both hell, but I liked the platonic one more. More worrisome: moving in with a guy the year after high school? Designing T-shirts is the “starting a band” of this generation.

The telenovela situation unfolding, as narrated by Gloria, was a bit of absurdist flair for Modern Family. Not all chicana conversations devolve into telenovela slapfights, but it also served as a funny yet profound way to underline how hard it must be for adoptive couples to have to run the gauntlet of other people's drama to get the chance to parent a child. I don't think I say this enough, but adoptive parents are awesome, and sometimes they go through a lot of heartache to make the world a better place. Mitch and Cam are just so good. They are such good dramatic partners, it makes their timing even better. Jay next to Lily almost made me tear up. AMAZING! He is always such a fantastic, gentle father figure in this series and it makes me even more excited about the big reveal that ended the show: OMG Gloria is pregnant! They are going to hide Sofia Vergara in a pregnancy suit (or is she pregnant in real life?)! Shame about that but I can’t wait to see Jay's reaction. Or Mitch’s. Or Claire’s.

“Finale” Words: For a widely recognized comedy, these writers sure know how to make compelling drama and they are lucky to have actors who so deftly play both.

That Crusty B-tch in Apartment 23: "Shitagi Nashi"

OF COURSE Chloe has a “No Panties” comic book in Japan. Of course this series would include, within its first season, hilarious ambitious animation, like a comedy Kill Bill + Homestarrunner. I kind of want to read it AND “Strong Bowling Girl Talks a Lot.” Whoever did those comic covers was LEGIT, btw. And I love how the writers keep bringing back the pastor, she gives her crazy lines the best, most restrained delivery. Also it IS a thing to call your girlfriends “slut,” “ho,” and “bitch” in a good way. And I do love it, bitches! It makes me feel like a racy, catty minx instead of a sentient pair of sweatpants.

And I'm sorry, but the girls' pervy neighbor is kind of a hottie, right? Text me Mookie. Also, DEAN CAIN!! This series is a treasure trove of '90s hotties. Do you think Cain, Kevin Sorbo, and James Van Der Beek used to be in a support/cruising group? Also, Chloe accepting June’s comic book and enjoying it was kind of heartwarming, I love how they’re becoming real friends. So sweet but they keep it from getting toooo sweet with moments like Chloe pulling off her underpants and screaming “I CAN SEE!!” Love these bitches.

Finale Words: Have you ever seen a first season of a network comedy series so specific, so brave, and so polished? This show has made me a fan for life.

OVERALL AVERAGE FOR THE SEASON!: 6.3 (with Happy Endings winning the most weeks)

When you consider that a rating of 1 is “Work It” and 10 is "literally having your sides split open with laughter," a 6.3 is pretty darn impressive. But what are your finale thoughts? Which of ABC's Wednesday-night comedies surprised you most with its improvement or decline? Which shows return are you most looking forward to? What are your predictions for next season on the block? Let me know below!

QUESTIONS:

1. The Hecks' house: relatable or repulsive or kind of impressive?

2. What is next for Tessa on Suburgatory?

3. Will Sofia Vergara be in a fat suit all next season!?

4. That Big Old Bitch: New favorite show?

5. Happy Endings! Where is Season 3 headed in the old romance department? Love Triangle Junction?!

Modern Family was grabbing all the attention but The Middle was kind of under the radar, but I liked it. Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 is kind of like a surprise attack. It is really out there and I am surprised it got on the air. But I like it. It is so off beat. But I like going off the beaten path.
Don't Trust the B has been quite brave indeed and I hope it pays off nicely.
Did anyone watch the happy endings kickball episode? I don't know when it aired but I figured that was the season finale since its the last one tht came out.
I like Don't Trust the B but the finale was my least favorite episode. I don't know why; I just didn't laugh as much. This super quick season has me wondering how the show will do during a full season. Will they be able to keep it fresh and funny?
Wait, no scores for 3 new shows?

Crap, Norm MacDonald was the focus of The Middle? I'll watch this on Saturday.

Modern Family was interesting, I did laugh but I felt like it was a lot more schmaltzy drama than usual, and a bit manipulative. 6.1

Skank Nasty Bitch was a bit of a let-down compared to the rest of the season. Chloe wasn't as selfish as usual, she wasn't as complete of a character in general, instead just ping-ponging around the script. This was all about June, and it felt like both June and her relationship with Chloe had backslid significantly since the last couple episodes. The whole thing felt soft. JVDB's storyline was funny but an entirely different show most of the time. 6

I'll be honest, I'm stunned that the overall was so low with so many high votes for Suburgatory and Happy Endings.

Yeah, I guess The Apartment Bitch might be my favorite new show of the season.
I loved Don't Trust The B---- in Apt 23's first season and the finale was awesome!
first thing i said to my wife when the show ended "oh my god, gloria's boobs are gonna get even bigger." haha
Good finishes to good seasons. Actually, if anything, this throws into light how disappointed I was in the finale of "Suburgatory" which was my favourite new sit-com this year. Oh well.

-House, relatable, yet still just shows how much I love having a clean house. Ugh, mess.

-I do not know, that show took a strange turn and I really don't know where they're going to go with it.

-No clue, but whatever, just as long as they do it well.

-Not my new favourite show, but definitely gets laughs.

-"Happy Endings" is easily my least favourite of these ABC comedies (and I know that puts me squarely opposed to most everyone else on this page), and I really have no clue what shall happen with the romances. Yay for noncomittal wastes of words.
I was disappointed in Suburgatory's finale as well. Just my opinion, but there was too much focus on Eden. She's still new and I don't think the show should have focused so much on her. And Tessa's reaction to her grandmother did not sit well with me...
Apartment 23 had a fantastic first season! Defo my new favourite comedy.

I think in S3 of Happy Endings maybe the Penny Dave thing might be touched upon but I don't know if anything will happen. But I would like Max to have a boyfriend for longer than a couple of episodes.
I like Modern Family overall, but this season wasn't good. That said, the finale was hilarious. If they'd pumped out a few more like that throughout this year, it would've been enough to put it all in the win column.

The Middle is still pretty much the poor man's Malcolm in the Middle with a mom I don't like at all. I watch the show, but I wouldn't miss it much if it didn't return. It wouldn't stand a chance against actual competition.

I like Suburgatory aside from Tessa. Her hatorade is necessary for the show, but she's the most boring thing on television. The dark lining to a very silver cloud. Cute kid, though.

B*tch is pretty funny. It looked pretty stupid in the commercials, and I had no hope for it at all, but it's good. VDB is almost NPH-level great.

Happy Endings is pretty funny, but the only guy I ever like is the gay guy. The other two are so pansied-out, they make my testicles angry. They're a walking quiet moment in a guy bar, and I want to punch them both in the face every five words. Still funny, but if Frasier was a gay 7, this show's an 11.

Anyway, Man Up--LOL kidding.
Men really should get vasectomies after the age of 40, and I say that as a man, too. When your grandkids are old enough to have kids, it's too much. Cam & Mitchell should take care of the one they have NOW before trying to get another one. It's not like collecting a set.
B in 23 was fun. I liked the fact that they are humanizing chloe, it was also so cute when june gave her that comic book. kind of wish they aired the final 6 episodes with the rest of season one insted of airing them with season two tho

Modern Family this season disappointed me since the Dude Ranch episode. I didn't see anything Emmy worthy this season. Cam and the whole clown thing is getting old.
I can't get over how much I LOVE Apt. 23!!
The B in 23 FTW!!!

Can't wait to see (and HEAR) Gloria pregnant!! If her voice octive grows with her belly I'm going to be blowing out speakers!!

Great job on the reviews Lily TY.
I have been most suprised by Suburgatory, Happy Endings and Apt. 23. I was most disappointed by Modern Family this season but the finale made it up to me and I am actually looking forward to it coming back.
Couldn't have said it better.
Suburgatory's season finale was both dramatic and funny, and that last scene was pretty dark. Overall I think the Bitch won in my case with The Middle last.
I liked MOdern Family's finale the best but as a season/series overall I enjoyed Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B MUCH more.
To me Modern Family won the season finale war, the whole Telenovela thing had me cracking up. Happy Endings would be second and Suburgatory gets 3rd.

The winner for the whole season has to be Happy Endings. This season was just hilarious. I'll put Suburgatory second and it will probably be a tie between Modern Family and Don't Trust the B.
DTTBIA23 is awesome. BTW: What's the most catchy nick for this show? the bitch? apartment 23? bitch in 23? 23?

However, they could still add some more crazyness imo. And the "season" was really too short. Didn't even notice that this was the finale episode until I read it in this article. Was kind of strange as the show itself didn't do any finale-like moments.
I kinda like "the B in 23".
Nice, even rhymes.
I will give Modern Family a 7.5 out of 10. It was good, it shows they are branching out a little next season. And most of all perhaps this is the last time we will see Hayley's annoying slacker boyfriend. It was so nice with him gone. If they had brought him on as a series regular that is where they would have lost me. I think Gloria as pregnant is going to be funny.

B in 23 was great. It was a short concise season. The issues I had worried about with Beek and the like were abated and it was done well. The chemistry between Chole and June is great. However, next season they need to stop bouncing around with June, she either needs to be standing up to Chole and sometimes combatting her or a doormat. I felt the ping pong style of assertive and doormat great a little tiresome. Trying to stay one step ahead or rather even with Chole would be better. But the finale deserves a solid 8.

?'s

2. I hope some rebellion against George, also no Eden. Seriously if they bring back Eden I might have to reconsider watching the show. But Tessa needs to branch out, she needs more head to head combat with Dahlia.

3. Doubtful, She might have a bump but no one wants to see her full on fat suit. no one.

4. B in 23 is certainly climbing up there. Like Happy Endings, and Community they bring a universe all their own where anything can happen. It could easily have gone into 2.5 men hellish territory where everything is canned and trite and well stupid. But Chole is a great character, in that anything can happen in her world. I like shows that do that. Also it is smartly done.

5. Happy Endings actually needs to tone it down just a bit. They are right now on the border of being fully developed zany characters and being stereotyped caricatures of their own creation. But they walk that fine line very well. It is zany it is crazy and anything can happen. I like that. No one needs to hook back up again with Alex and Dave. Maybe Dave and Penny would be good in a hide it from the group kind of way. At this point they are almost to a community level for me in that they can do no wrong. I can't wait for next season. I love me some Alex one liners.
The Novela thing was funny

Modern Family: 8/10. A rare great episode of the show. Possibly one of the best episodes the show has ever had. Each of the plots were great for a change, and I laughed at more than Dylan's stuff, which is really rare.

Apartment 23: 8/10. Hilarious as always, and surprisingly sweet for a show about a sociopath and her roommate. Kind of surprised that it got a this short first season.
The only shows I really like and find funny are the B and Happy Endings. But both are pretty awesome!