Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Teases The Doctor Strange, Netflix Connection

Feeling burned by Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? That's probably just because of this season's introduction of Ghost Rider, the flaming, car driving spirit of vengeance who has been butting heads (not literally, because his head is made out of fire) with our heroes since this year's Season 4 premiere.

But that all ended at the end of last week's episode, when Ghost Rider (Gabriel Luna) teamed up with Daisy Johnson (Chloe Bennet) to try and track down a... Uh... Bunch of business-ghosts who live in a stack of boxes, and have been driving people crazy. This is either an actual plotline, or a dream I had.

Anyway! With that big team-up in mind, New York Comic Con attendees were treated to a screening of this next week's episode, "Uprising" as well as plenty more news and teases for the season to come!

Kicking things off, star Clark Gregg noted that bringing Ghost Rider to the show didn't seem like an immediate fit to him. "I'll be honest," Gregg quipped. "I saw the movies." He continued that the show is very based in science (okay, super science), another point that didn't seem an easy fit for Ghost Rider's magical origins. But once the cast heard what they were going to do with the character, and saw Luna's costume, he -- and the rest of the cast -- were sold.

Catch up on all the latest news from New York Comic Con

For Bennet, this season was different because, "I was in a van. Alone. With a lot of makeup." But ultimately her journey having "a season alone" allows her to shake things up as an actor.

But the biggest tease probably came when Gregg noted they've been introducing a lot of magical elements this season, which seems, "Strange." Gregg immediately admitted that he was referencing Marvel's upcoming movie Doctor Strange, with Bennet joking, "I'm a Cumberbitch!"

Fans of the show know that whenever a Marvel movie comes around, S.H.I.E.L.D. ties in, in some way. Sometimes its a direct connection, like when S.H.I.E.L.D. was shut down during Captain America: The Winter Soldier; or sometimes it's a non-direct connection, like when the show thematically tied into Avengers: Age of Ultron. At least given Gregg's tease, it seems that around November we're going to get something a little more overt than a cursory mention.

Oh, and on tying into Marvel's Netflix shows? When Marvel TV boss Jeph Loeb was asked when the S.H.I.E.L.D. team would "notice what's going on in Hell's Kitchen," Loeb said, "It's a fair question. And the fair answer is... Stay tuned."

So will Agent Coulson be mixing it up with Daredevil (Charlie Cox) and the rest? Well... Stay tuned.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. airs Tuesdays at 10/9c on ABC.

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Dec 06, 2016
There was no connection to Dr. Strange other than magic.
Oct 09, 2016
Speaking of the show crossing over into other areas of the MCU, it's about damn time the Avengers found out that Coulson is still alive. Presumably they don't want to force anyone to have to watch one part of it in order to fully understand the other, but the casual viewers won't care and the committed viewers can't possibly have avoided finding out.
Oct 09, 2016
Regardless of Coulson, you would think they would at least have some idea of the status of SHIELD by now. It's about to go public. Could they possibly do that and not make it known that Coulson is still alive?
Oct 08, 2016
Crossover with Punisher has a good chance of happening.
Oct 08, 2016
I'm kinda off this show for a while, not that it's not pretty good. Just can't seem to que up last season for some reason. Perhaps there's just better stuff out there, and I don't really have the time. Just watched CA Civil War and it was damn good. Really enjoyed seeing Spiderman finally in the mix--my favorite all time super hero, aside from the Winchester boys. They fixed God, for God's sake. Really enjoying the Netflix Marvel stuff. But I also like a lot of different things, plus some of the new network stuff this year. Don't really know if I'll get around to SHIELD any time soon. It sucks that the Marvel Universe has so many licensing issues and somehow Spiderman has breached that gap, which is fun. Put him on SHIELD and I'll watch. Also, the DC stuff is pretty awful. Want to see Suicide Squad though...
Oct 08, 2016
About damn time! Now watch those ratings go up AoS:)
Oct 08, 2016
They've pretty much confirmed that SHIELD is never going to tie in to any of the other properties besides casual mentions. It's always going to be a one-way street with the events of SHIELD never affecting anything beyond the show, which is a shame. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anything does happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
Oct 08, 2016
So, besides the characters from Dr. Strange, who can they use that are magic users? It's not like DC where you have a whole bunch of them. Dunno if they want to use Damon Hellstrom or are they going to use him in a movie? Can't step on the movie boss' toes...
Oct 08, 2016
"o, besides the characters from Dr. Strange, who can they use that are magic users?"

Scarlet Witch (at least in the comics), Dr. Druid, Black Knight, the Bloodstone family, Brother Voodoo, Clea, Enchantress (Lorelei's... sister?), Agatha Harkness, Jennifer Kale, Magik, Master Pandemonium, Merlin, Modrad, Morgan Le Fay, Shaman, Talisman. And a few dozen more with less magical powers than magic-based powers (Tigra and Captain Britain come to mind).

Plus there's all the mystic Hand stuff over on Daredevil on Netflix.

Personally, I'd think that Dr. Druid would be a great fit in AOS.
Oct 09, 2016
About what they'd have to use. Too bad they can't do a rip of the real Baron Mordo rather than what we get for the Dr. Strange movie. Brother Voodoo was in Luke Cage as I recall. Scarlet Witch probably won't show because of the movies. Been wondering where Nick Fury has put himself to all this time. Dr. Doom would be great as a magic user. Too bad they can't use him though...
Oct 09, 2016
I don't believe Brother Voodoo is in the Netflix series. If it was, it was just as a very small cameo.
Oct 10, 2016
No, in the comics. The old ones from the 1970s...
Oct 08, 2016
That just means that they don't know or have no plans to tie MAoS with the Netflix universe but don't want to admit it.