Alcatraz: The Next FlashForward, Not the Next Lost

Here's a formula for generating interest in a new show. Step 1: Make it about anything. Step 2: Slap J.J. Abrams' name on it.

That's what Fox has done with Alcatraz, the latest mysterious mystery from the mystery-maker behind TV's benchmark of enigmas and brain enemas, Lost. But it's unclear exactly how much involvement Abrams (who's become a modern-day Spielberg by attaching his name to many, many projects) has with Alcatraz. He didn't write it. He didn't direct it. He didn't even come up with the idea.

The show is actually the baby of Elizabeth Sarnoff (a writer who worked on Lost), but she left the project over creative differences with Fox. Production was halted, and scenes were re-shot. In other words, this show got hijacked. It's not a good sign when the show's creator can't even stay aboard.

But the main premise remains, and it's this: Back in 1963, more than 300 guards and inmates from the famous island prison disappeared! In the present day, they're returning under the direction of some unknown party, and they're up to no good—so it's up to a super secret task force to put them in the slammer all over again. Don't forget, this show has J.J. Abrams' name on it, so there are all sorts of secret conspiracies, Michael Giacchino strings, and people staying the same age for decades.

Naturally, Alcatraz is being compared to Lost, and with Jorge Garcia (Hurley!) starring, the same composer doing the score, an island, and even the same logo font, the comparisons are correct on a very surface level. But please, for the love of all that is holy, DON'T compare Alcatraz to Lost. You'd be better off comparing Alcatraz to Fringe, another one of J.J.'s kids, because both follow the serialized procedural formula. However, if you want to be even more accurate and impress your friends, don't compare Alcatraz to Fringe, either. Compare the show to FlashForward, because after two episodes, Alcatraz has "uninspired knock-off" written all over it.

Of course, Fringe didn't get off to a great start, and now it's the best network sci-fi program by a longshot; the show is arguably better than Lost (hmmm... anyone up for a Fringe vs. Lost edition of TV.com Throwdown?). That's why Alcatraz is going to become a test of viewers' patience more than anything else. Will the end-of-episode reveals we saw last night be enough to entice the audience to come back every week? Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) was the young guard in the flashback? Big whoop. There's a secret super prison out in the woods? Okay, maybe we'll learn what it really is in Season 2. Lucy (a stoic Parminder Magra) in her '60s flashback looked exactly the same as she does today? Richard Alpert called, and he wants his shtick back.

The problem with Alcatraz so far (we're only one two-hour premiere in, so there's plenty of time to fix things) is that it siphons the formula of Abrams' predecessors without really adding anything new. It's like watching a magician repeat the same pull-the-rabbit-out-of-the-hat trick, but with different animals and different hats: Lost was the classic top hat and bunny, Alcatraz is a cowboy hat and a kitten. Is it time to start calling him J.J. Abrams-Shyamalan, after The Sixth Sense director who famously fizzled into one of Hollywood's biggest duds?

Fans of Lost and Fringe have seen all this before. Alcatraz shouldn't be looking to do the same thing as its predecessors, it should be looking to make a leap to what comes next. Instead, the show is trying to be mysterious for mystery's sake—the same misstep that plagued incredibly uncreative sci-fi flops The Event and FlashForward, which drew interest solely by playing the peekaboo game.

What made Lost and Fringe so watchable (and The Event and FlashForward so unwatchable) wasn't the sound of swelling violins or pre-credits psych-outs, it was something that all good television needs: compelling characters. So far, Alcatraz has none... except for the prisoner-of-the-week escapees it throws into the new super prison at the end of each episode. The pilot's POTW, Jack Sylvane, is actually the most developed character in the series so far, and his appearance in the second episode bodes well for the series. But what Alcatraz needs is an injection of personality for its central characters. Without good characters, all we're left to look forward to is the next "twist." And how surprising can a surprise be if you're actively looking for it?

I'll repeat this one more time, because we've seen plenty of shows hit their stride well after the pilot and it bears reinforcing: We're still in the fresh meat stage of our stay with Alcatraz, so getting an idea of how the show will be in the long haul is near impossible. But two hours into this new series, we've seen nothing that indicates the series will be more than another attempt to recapture the success of the past by copying it and adding enough procedural standalone elements to keep the network happy. If you're looking for a good serialized procedural with sci-fi elements, you'd be better off looking at recent shows that've already proved themselves, like Fringe, Person of Interest, and Alphas.

Notes:

– There were LOTS of changes in the pilot from the advanced screener sent to critics back in May. There's clearly been an effort to expand the backstory of Rebecca (Sarah Jones), but it still fell short.

– Geez, how many times can you say "Alcatraz" or "The Rock" in one episode?

– "This is Alcatraz. No one forgets." Groan! Way too much clichéd dialogue.

– If we're supposed to be scared of these prisoners-of-the-week, I'm going to need something more than a guy who shoots girls because his mommy paid more attention to his sister.

Question:

– How long will you give the show before you make a decision on whether to keep watching? I'll be watching for at least four episodes...

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Jan 29, 2012
I think there was more than enough development for the first two episodes of a series.. I never expected to see Lucy was one of the 63s, normally such things are spilled out like in the 3rd-4th episode? and pretty sufficient backstory was provided about most of the people we saw.. I don't know what you guys want really.. people begin to be more and more demanding every single day, it is frustrating.. you act like as if the very first episodes of Fringe or Lost has been like a character revelation boost.. I also am fed up with arguments such as "this looks like this, we have seen that before, this has been done.." so what? is there a rule that when a format, an idea is applied to one show, than it cannot or should not be applied to others as sth has to be "brand new" to be interesting? are you aware of the fact that there are 3 versions of CSI, and like 4-5 versions of Law and Order, that people watched and keep on watching for like seasons? not all of us are obsessed with "difference", if it is good, if it works, we might pretty much have a cowboy hat and a kitten, following a classic hat and a bunny..
Jan 24, 2012
The premiere was okay. Issue is, by this point in the game...JJ really should wait to attach his name to something really great, and this just wasn't it.

What was this? It was entertaining, and could evolve into something great. It just has failed to really hook me in right from the start, and I agree with you in the characters being ill developed thus far.

Can't be too hard on it, though, as you are right about Fringe. The premiere for Alcatraz was almost as good as the premiere for Fringe(which had a MUCH better twist at the end), but Fringe got much better as the season progressed, into season two, etc. Fringe in season three really took things to the next level, and yes, in my opinion is EASILY better than Lost.

But, Alcatraz could get there, too. We shall see.

One thing I have to disagree with you on is comparing Alcatraz to Flashforward. I think Fringe is a MUCH better comparison.
Jan 24, 2012
i don't know..i need a premise that is worth getting excited about...we will see...
Jan 23, 2012
the soundtrack is really messing with my head. Its a mix of lost and fringe. Ill give alcatraz a try for the next few episodes. But since im not a big fan of police shows like csi so i really hope they drop this prisoner of the week crap soon. Cause that is no going to carry the show.

Jan 24, 2012
I agree completely! I went into it expecting "Lost" in the music(due to Giacchin), though I cannot stop being reminded of "Fringe" from the music!
Jan 23, 2012
Man, was I taken by surprise! Loved it so far, but of course there is room for improvement. Halfway through the first episode I was already tired of the text telling us where and when we are. I would like to think the audience knows that when the film looks more hued than normal, we are in the past. Also a dead give away is the location, Alcatraz. We know that all flashbacks will be located on the island. Now, let me tell you something about Fringe. If there is a new show on I feel the desire to invest my devotion to, I do the 3 episode trial run. By then I know if I want to keep watching. I gave Fringe 4 episodes, because I really, really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get past the characters. I did not like any of them. Except the cow. I already like these characters, even the lead actress and her very circular face. I must admit though, it is really distracting. And she has such tiny ears. Well, I like her the least I think, but for her headstrong attitude. Maybe I think she is too hot, I don't know. Anyway, Sam Neill is terrific. He is equal parts mysterious, wise and to me at least, bad. My friend asked me why he was smiling at one point, and I tell her it is because he is Sam Neill, he always looks happy being mad. It is going to take some used to Jorge Garcia as "Doc", but those swag clothes are helping. One last thing before I forget more of what I really wanted to say: It is nice to have J.J. Abrams name on it, but the real names to me are Bryan Burke, Elizabeth Sarnoff (even though what happened sucks, her presence is still there) and Jack Mother F'ing Bender. Along with Michael Giacchino's score, their presence is felt with this show. For now, I am hooked.
Jan 22, 2012
The 4400 with Lost music.
Jan 22, 2012
Nobody noticed the disappearance of 302 people in 1963? Come on! I enjoyed the first 2 episodes anyway.
Jan 22, 2012
With reference to the 'running scene,' the edit was such a powerful 'cut' it drew attention to the two stars of the scene. You know, the two that kept jumping up and down while their owner ran after a culprit. Editing should be subtle so as you don't notice it. NOT the case in that scene.
Jan 21, 2012
GOOD SHOW HOPE IT STAY FOR A WHILE
Jan 21, 2012
I really liked the premier. All of it, down to the same music as LOST. I'm kind of surprised to read your really negative review. :c
Jan 21, 2012
It was...MEH. I'll keep watching for a while...just to see if it goes anywhere fun.
Jan 21, 2012
I thought the fist two episodes were good. I'll keep watching! That being said, I would still have watched the show even if J.J. Abrams' name weren't attached to it.
Jan 20, 2012
I now imagine JJ's agent telling folks, "Damn right, he'll put his name on your show...just as soon as your check clears." He abandoned "Alias." He abandoned "Lost." He abandoned "Fringe." No telling what was being smoked during the whole "Undercovers" affair. I wish he could be *forced* to stick with one of his creations until the very end.

Indeed he has become a lot like Spielberg: He seems to still do okay with movies (for now) but is making increasingly questionable choices when it comes to the TV shows to which his name is attached.

I neither loved nor hated "Alcatatraz." I was somewhat reminded of both "Lost" and "Fringe" while watching it despite it never coming close to rising to those levels.

Sadly, my Monday nights are pretty empty so I'll continue to watch this mostly out of inertia more than genuine interest.

Jan 20, 2012
Lost was a 10 out of 10 show for season 1. Then it got worse and worse and was useless by the 3rd - 4th season. 90% of the "overrated" nature of that show comes from the memory of how good it "used to be" and how good we hoped it would become again. If anything JJ leaving that show weakened it. Considerably.

As another mentions the JJ comparison to M. Knight Shamylan is laughable. (even if it was a little tongue-in-cheek. Alias (When it was great) - Lost (when it was great); resurrected Mission Impossible into something even remotely resembling the TV show with M.I :3 and is a fair part of that continued improvement with MI:4; Star Trek, Super 8 and Fringe...yeah, he's on a real downward slide that Abrams guy.
Jan 20, 2012
I actually enjoyed FlashForward.
Jan 20, 2012
"Arguably better than Lost" my ASS. You sir, clearly don't know good, nay, SUPERB, television.
Jan 20, 2012
Agreed at watching > 4 episodes, probably will watch it all, only because Jorge Garcia is in it.(with hopes of greater character development)
Jan 20, 2012
Plus, can we stop with these damn comparisons already!!

Jan 20, 2012
Ok, way too much Michael G in the Alcatraz premiere. and I never thought I would say that (considering how darn amazing he is!!)......
Jan 20, 2012
"Fringe" is at the top now...
Jan 20, 2012
302 plus the 63...a whole year ... ahhh an enigma for a four year old.
Jan 20, 2012
I don't often agree with critics, but this was a pretty accurate analysis. After only 2 episodes it felt like the show was already in a rut. They're going to need to break out of the 'Prisoner of the Week' routine FAST and get some type of underlying storyline going. The whole 'who's giving the prisoners their orders?' is weak at best and highly overused. The characters were dry and shallow, and there wasn't much of a hook. I would like to see this show succeed though, I just hope they pull it together soon.

On another note - I have two words for Sarah - "Sports Bra!". Geez... that chase scene was laughable. Jack Sylvane is running like a bat out of hell, and she can barely jog with those puppies bouncing around like that. If they're going to do more running scenes with her, they're going to have to invest in some duct tape or something...
Jan 20, 2012
Hey, didn't most of us enjoy watching Kim's running scenes in the early years of "24"? The classics never go out of style, as they say.

Jan 20, 2012
She definitely needs a sports bra....it's like the female detective with the high heels. So impractical!
Jan 20, 2012
"...she can barely jog with those puppies bouncing around like that."

Yeah.

Monsterpuppies.
Jan 20, 2012
All dead?!!! im not gonna argue about this or about "LOST" because haters will hate :P.

NO other show will be as same as "LOST" so get over it ....it was something even the best drama shows can't reach " im not saying it is the best but am saying that i watch alot of tv shows but i never been attracted to a show like "Lost" even breaking bad which is better but not in the sameaddictted way that LOST had!

P.S i guess like jack bender said the era of serialized tv shows finished when LOST finished cause THE networks starting to cancel the shows from the first season so i guess no good show will finish it's story in the right way "look at fringe!"
Jan 20, 2012
Lets just hope we don't get to season five to realise that they're all dead!!!
Jan 20, 2012
I'm assuming your making a comparison to Lost. You do know that the only season that they were dead was season 6 in the sideways world (purgatory), waiting for their friends to die on the island and join them so they could move on to the next existence together?
Mar 27, 2012
No, people like that poster don't know, because they either never watched Lost at all and are simply repeating a meme they heard to troll fans, or they started watching but have been weened so much on reality TV that they were incapable of following the show to completion.
Jan 20, 2012
You say that like it was a logical premise that made sense...
Mar 27, 2012
Case in point.
Jan 19, 2012
Now I don't feel like seeing it anymore..
Jan 19, 2012
Based upon the premiere ratings for Alcatraz it's looking as if this may be the last year for Fringe. Alcatraz appears to be a popular enough show that the network can afford to let Fringe go.
Jan 20, 2012
Doubt it, the ratings for the next episode will probably guarantee Fringe another season. The promo for Alcatraz was very attractive, made the show look like Lost 2.0, but with that comes disappointment b/c the pilot had no hook, other than the standard, "who's the bad guy?" theme, episode two was a disappointing prisoner of the week.

Overall shallow character development, doubt it will be around for too long unless they step up their game.
Jan 19, 2012
I don't understand why I keep reading all of these reviews of shows if I know I am going to disagree with what the "critics" are going to say.
Jan 19, 2012
Tim hating on another scifi show before it even has chance to get started, go back to watching dancing with the stars please.
Jan 19, 2012
You're aware that Tim doesn't just hate on sci-fi, right? Have you READ his Fringe reviews? He's negative about this one because he thought it was a bit flimsy and derivative--which it was--and not just because it has a sci-fi element to it.

And it's not like he completely flamed the show. He didn't just say "Alacatraz sucks and is the worst thing ever!" He just thinks it could be better. Seems like a pretty fair review to me.
Jan 20, 2012
Calling a show "The next FlashForward" two episodes in is hardly a fair review. And I'm not sure how reading his Fringe reviews would make this more fair. Personally, I didn't really find anything about the show to be derivative of Lost, outside of Garcia and soundtrack. But I'd expect a comment like that from someone who claims Fringe is now better than Lost by a longshot.

If you want to consider this genre "Sci Fi", ok. Guess what. Theres enough room on television for more than one sci fi show produced by Abrams. Let's not Flog one two episodes in. How much Character development did Lost have in it's first 2 episodes? What did you know about Locke at all in the first 2 episodes?

This was a harsh review for the beginning of a show. And we shouldn't lump fans of Lost and Fringe together, cause they're not always one and the same. Let's just hope and pray that Tim keeps his promise, and bails after 4 episodes.
Jan 20, 2012
My only point was that the original post seemed to think Tim was attacking this show simply because it's sci-fi, which doesn't make sense because Tim typically praises Fringe in his reviews, which is sci-fi. I realize that his feelings about Fringe have little bearing when considering Alcatraz.

And I did think the premier of Lost had quite a bit of interesting character work. In small moments, as well as the flashbacks, we did get a sense of who these characters were in some unique, important ways. Development doesn't necessarily mean forward movement (it really can't, in a pilot), but it does mean giving a unique, interesting personality, which I think in its inception Lost did (as far as movement and continued interesting developments, well, that's another story entirely).
Jan 19, 2012
Oh, and yes, character development is ESSENCIAL, you're totally right Tim, at this moment I found the prisioners way more interesting that the "good guys" and I'm more invested in Jakc Sylvane than anyone else, except maybe for Hurley; but anyways, I don't care much about the female cop, if she dies next ep I would find it a great move. But I wanna know Sylvane, I wanna know about his past, why did Tiller hated him so much, and why does he look so aprehensive all the time, what is it he is afraid of, what's he expencting? Tell me all about him and stop weasting my time trying to make me feel sorry for a totally bland and dead stare cop who lost her partner (whom I saw for 2 secs before getting killed) and I don't care about. Let's kill her and replace her with Parminder Magra in the field, she would make a way more interesting partner with Jorge Garcia.
Jan 19, 2012
Oh Gosh! I actually fell asleep half way thru the second ep. and woke up at the end when the POTW enters the super secret jail in the woods, I asked my hubby what did I miss, and apparentely wasn't much. The worst past for me would be the very unispiring and paifull to watch acting of Sarah Jones (Rebeca), srsly, it was bad every time she had solo scenes, specially the part when she's alone in the bathroom (*spoiler alert) after Lucy has been shot, it actually made me cringe. I love Jorge Garcia and Sam Neill, and although I'm surely gonna give Alcatraaz another chance, I feel that Sarah Jones is to this projet as "Josh" was to Terra Nova, she alone has the potential of spoiling it for me; am I being to harsh? maybe, but that's how bad I think it was :/
Jan 19, 2012
It is not Lost or Fast Forward. Less confusing. Lucinda was in the last part second half of show. In the old era. I like Neil and ''Hurley'',[Garcia]so will keep watching. I mean really, what do CBS, NBC or ABC have in that time slot to compete? lol If anything , cable networks are only true threat to Alcatraz-not the basic channels . Pawn Stars and such should be a serious competitor although not a drama.
Jan 19, 2012
Not a clue how you can say this is more like Fringe, when I consider Fringe to be Lost's perfect replacement. Either way, I don't think the show is that bad so far and I don't plan to give it a set number of episodes, but rather I'll give it a chance to either prove itself, or fall flat on it's own face. That may take three episodes or ten, but we'll see. My one main concern though, is that I read in an interview that the show is being designed like Lost in mystery, but nothing else because they plan to make it a procedural show nearly 100% with some minor mystery here and there. I was over procedural shows in 2004, so please, unless you're a weekly half our sitcom, stop with the procedurals already.
Jan 19, 2012
The concern with these types of shows is that you may just never find find out what it's all about. Let's hope it won't fall in that cancellation mode whenever and leave us all hanging. I'm starting solely on the fact that Jorge Garcia is in it. I'm not into "police" type shows at all so may not last long on it but the mystery may intrigue me enough.
Jan 19, 2012
they should move this show to fridays and put fringe back to better time slot
Jan 19, 2012
"Geez, how many times can you say "Alcatraz" or "The Rock" in one episode?' Next week let's make it a drinking game! Meh, it's alright and I will keep watching for now... It hasn't truly offended me yet.
Jan 19, 2012
Besides all of the problems listed above, was anyone else bothered by them flashing the name of the show after every segment? I thought shows would become less cheesy over time.
Jan 19, 2012
Great Show adding to my list to watch.
Jan 19, 2012
well I watched LOST but the Event, Fringe, Flash Forward I don't, I skipped Alcatraz because of Foxes track record I have Pretty Little Liars, The Lying Game, Gossip Girl, Two Broke Girls, Hawaii Five O on my Monday plate plus with DWTS starting pretty soon my DVR will be taxed on 8-9 time slot!! I hope Alcatraz makes it to improve Foxes rep
Jan 19, 2012
Call me easily entertained, but this is my new favorite show on t.v. I thought they executed everything quite well. We each have our opinions...and I respect those that are opposite of mine...but then again, it does all come back to taste and entertainment value that each of us expect for ourselves. One of the reasons I almost didn't dvr it, is because I was afraid I would start watching and then see it get cancelled. I am actually glad I decided to watch it and I really hope it goes for a few seasons, but if it doesn't I will just enjoy the ride.
Jan 19, 2012
This comment has been removed by SOPA and PIPA.

Look them up. Discover why our representatives must vote against them.
Jan 19, 2012
I'll watch mayb 5, 6 episodes. But I'm not going to be wasting my time like I did with Terra Nova trying to see if the show would ever be anything more than a 40 mins family sit-com. I used to put a lot of stock on the crew name list, but that's by-gones now (thanks again, TN)... So we'll see. I do love Hurley not matter what he's doing, that guy's freaking amazing; And I would love to see HIS character development go on; The girl is cute, but she needs to invest herself in her parts, they all feel a little bit too "scripty". Now, Sam, for his sake I'll give him a few more episodes, hope he can get out of that box he's in...

As for Parminder Magra, I just love her. I've had this crazy crush on her since ER. sorry..

Jan 19, 2012
Do they end up on 'The 4400' ?
Jan 19, 2012
ya I thought 4400 too... that show was good at first and then went poof. However I liked Alcatraz and will watch
Jan 19, 2012
This is basically The 4400 meets Prison Break. Neither of those end well, and neither will this.
Jan 19, 2012
You nailed it - you need compelling characters.

The Event, FlashForward, Terra Nova, and many more missed that point. Bad casting and bad writing contributed to the forgettable characters in these shows.

Lost was deep in great characters...many of the 'Lost' actors that resurfaced later were unable to bring the same level of interest. I guess great writing and development of characters is the difference.
Jan 19, 2012
Sorry...I hadn't watched the second episode....he's her grandfather not her father XD
Jan 19, 2012
I wrote in an earlier comment it was her Uncle... HA! we were both wrong. Technically Rebecca's grandfather did not kill her partner, he just didn't make the jump as well as her Grandfather or she did.
Jan 19, 2012
I gave up 20 minutes in, just because my Monday TV watching schedule couldn't survive it, and maybe a bit because I didn't really feel like watching another show like Lost/FlashForwards/Heroes/The Event/Fringe. I'm sticking to Fringe because I've become invested in the characters and the mysteries, and has proved itself to be able to answer questions in a satisfactory way. I will never watch another show like them, simply because its a concept so run down that it's hard to invest in the mysteries, and as a result, characters.
Jan 19, 2012
Ok there is just one thing that I don't understand: If Rebecca's dad was in Alcatraz and disappeared with everyone else in 1963....then even if she were born the next year and since it's present day (2011-2012) that would put her in her late forties. EXPLAIN! Cause doesn't matter how i do the math....she would be in her forties....and she has to be in her early thirties.
Jan 19, 2012
I was working out how old Sam Neill's character should be.... 49 years added onto.... how old do we reckon he was as a guard at Alcatraz in 1963.... surely he'd had to of been 21 as anyone under that age was not an adult and a screw/guard would of had to be an adult so... 21 +49.... no way is he meant to be 70, surely.
Jan 19, 2012
It was her grandfather, not father, that was in Alcatraz
Jan 19, 2012
Keep Fringe this is just an insult to any audience
Jan 19, 2012
its boring and they want to quit fringe.well i love fringe and i think they should keep it instead.
Jan 19, 2012
I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed The Even and FlashForward. I'm still enjoying Fringe. And I enjoyed Lost right up to that damn awful ending.
Load More Comments