Alcatraz's Season Finale: At Least the Car Chase Was Kinda Cool

Alcatraz S01E12/S01E13: "Garrett Stillman"/"Tommy Madsen"

The first season of Fox's new mystery machine Alcatraz mercifully came to an end last night after 13 episodes' worth of squandered potential, characters sketched on cocktail napkins, and all the focus of a hyperactive kid who just snorted two pounds of Pixy Stix. But watching the finales of these types of shows (serialized supernatural dramas that never quite find their way, i.e. FlashForward, The Event) is always fun, because producers go into them trumpeting, "Questions will be answered!" like an old-timey fella selling invigorating tonic out of the back of wagon, and it's a blast to see if they live up to their promises.

In these types of scenarios, the best possible outcome is that some of a show's initial potential is finally fulfilled and a vision of what was ahead becomes clear. That, or things go absolutely nuts and an alien queen skewers her mother (hello, V!) or an alien planet shows up in the sky (hello, The Event!). The worst possible outcome is that your biggest fear—that you wasted several hours of your life watching this garbage—comes true as the plot remains muddled and the show continues to insult your intelligence. But no matter the result, I look forward to these situations because there's always some sort of reward of closure.

And heck, we've come this far with Alcatraz, why not stick out the final 120 minutes to finally learn the answers to the show's most important questions: How are the prisoners returning to present day? Why do the doctors keep sucking the blood out of Tommy Madsen? And what in Warden James' name is behind that triple-locked door? The answers are, in order, "because of movement in tectonic plates," "we don't know," and "a room to track all the escaped '63s." Basically, Alcatraz's finale was a worst-case scenario.

Of those three questions, the "Why do the doctors keep sucking the blood out of Tommy Madsen?" query got the best answer, in that there was no answer. Because the answers to the other two questions were the letdown of the century. Geo-thermal activity and tectonic plates sliding? Are you effing kidding me with this nonsensical B.S.? The big reveal in the super-duper triple-locked room was a map with a bunch of red dots tracking the prisoners let loose on the world? Snooooooooze.

Alcatraz needed to pay off big in its finale, and it failed miserably on all accounts unless you count Hauser booking a flight to Paraguay for Lucy as a pay-off. Not that we really expected anything great, given the show's track record. This was a quintessential case of answering questions with more questions, except we barely cared about the original questions in the first place and the new questions were a bunch of unnecessary hooey that honestly could have been crammed into the pilot.

But what DID we learn? In the penultimate hour (which also aired last night but was largely inconsequential) we were introduced to a new character named Harlan Simmons, who plays a big part in the overall story. "Don't you love it when big serialized shows keep their secrets by not even introducing major characters until way late in the season," said me, sarcastically? Simmons is a bajillionaire and has been leading a faction of escaped '63s in the present day, while we'd been led to believe that Warden James (who may or may not be coming to or already in the present day) is at the head of another faction and having Tommy do his dirty work. Both were after the key to the third lock to the secret room, but Soto snagged it from a guy who decided to swan dive out of a building rather than hand it over to Tommy. We also met an unnamed scientist who once worked at Alcatraz with James on super-secret stuff, and later made "the jump" and appeared in the mystery triple-locked room ROFLing when he was informed he was in 2012. And more time was spent on Hauser's nauseating romance with Lucy. Either he's about 75 now (which would make him 25 back on The Rock when he was a guard), or Lucy was seriously robbing the cradle back in 1963.

Welcome to Alcatraz, the most convoluted place on Earth. And just when you thought it couldn't get any more amateur (and at this point I was hoping it would get more amateur just to see how much of a disaster it could be), Rebecca and her grandfather had a showdown in the street, and he stuck her like a pig. She was sent off to the hospital, and as the clock ticked down on Alcatraz's first season, she flatlined. Wow. There's your cliffhanger. The main character's life hangs in the balance. I wonder how that will turn out, and I wonder if any of this magic silver blood will have anything to do with it. Unfortunately, even though she's the main character, it's a character we knew very little about because the writers never bothered to develop her. She may as well be someone dying on a table on the other side of the planet. I don't really care.

There was a cool car chase that was an homage to Bullitt, complete with big-time product placement from Ford and that cool green VW Beetle, but it felt so incredibly out of place in relation to the rest of the series. It was as if the crew decided to have fun with a final scene because they knew they weren't coming back. Or maybe Ford told them what they wanted and that's how it was going to be and if you don't like it then we'll just pull out our advertising, cool?

Everyone who tuned into the finale of Alcatraz did so in hopes of getting answers to the questions the show posed in the first promotional trailer. Instead, Alcatraz had the ego to assume it would last seven seasons, opted for a cliffhanger that we know the resolution of, and opened up mythology that could have been laid out in the premiere episode.

Prison Sentences

– I know some of you are hoping for a second season, but don't count on it. The finale drew a 1.5 rating among adults, a series low. This episode needed to give Fox a reason to bring the show back, and instead it gave the network a reason to cancel it.

– Chess metaphors galore! Welcome to Creative Writing 101.

– I would have preferred seeing two hours of Soto on a date with that medical examiner. Now THAT's a series.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Alcatraz is awesome just cant understand why they took it! im looking forward to watch a second season!! I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT ENDED IT IS GREAT AND I CAN SAY THAT IT IS ONE OF THE BEST SERIES I'VE EVER SEEN THEY KEEP YOU EATING YOUR NAILS ALL THE TIME!

I WANT MORE SEASONS!!!!!!! ='(
i would watch season 2 if it will be all about warden james..

i will kill myself if i see another pathetic so-called funny moment from Hauser..
I never agree with any of these so called experts. I thought it was pretty good and room to get better sure but the characters are alright..Oh by the way the kinda cool car chase was actully a re-creation of the chase in BULLITT but with a new Charger and Mustang.!!! ROOKIE!!!!
I also forgot to mention...Matt Craven works too much. He's on every show made these days. I like his work but his frequent appearances make his characters hard to believe. Is he this character, that character or REALLY the SECNAV on NCIS?
If Alcatraz does not return, I hope the network will find another vehicle for the young lady that portays Rebecca. They can however, lose her sidekick, he gives me the creeps. Maybe it was just too soon after "Lost."
WHO WROTE THIS NEGATIVE WRITE UP ON ALCATRAZ IS IN ANOTHER WORLD, LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE WATCHING IT, THEY JUST DONT HAVE A NEILSON BOX TO REGISTER THERE VOTE. MAYBE THEY SHOULD TRY PUTTING IT ON ANOTHER NIGHT. KEEP THE SHOW ANOTHER SEASON, LOVE IT !!!!
LOVED THE SHOW ALCATRAZ HOPE IT WILL BE BACK FOR SEASON 2, SICK OF ALL THE NO BRAINER REALITY SHOWS THAT ARE ON. ALCATRAZ HAS GREAT ACTION, MYSTERY, AND A SUPER STORY LINE !!!!!
"because of movement in tectonic plates,"?

Really now? When I watched the other day, from my understanding, that how they detect the so called time jump gate is open.
I didn't hate it...
Rebbeca's Juggs is enough reason for a 2nd season :D *-*
I read the last episode drew 4,7 million viewers all over the US. I guess it's a very good number (I live in a country where we are only 3,6 million people), but I have no idea of what is a "good number" for you up there.

I really liked the show and would love it to come back next season. We all know they would use some "63's blood" to resurrect Rebecca, but we also knew Sam and Dean wouldn't die on that truck-vs-impala crash back at Supernatural season 1.

Yet, the show continued and became one of the best horror/fantasy shows ever (and now since season 6 has decreased enormously to being a mediocre show). So, why couldn't Alcatraz became a much better show if given a chance to get a second season?
``Alcatraz'' needs a lot of work and hopefully it'll get a chance to improve on itself, otherwise this was yet another Fox sci-fi-themed series from Fox that I wasted my time on this year. ``Terra Nova'' being the other.
Did anyone else catch the numbers on the armored truck? Right above the windshield - "481516". 4, 8, 15, 16. I had a total Lost flashback.
Nice catch! I missed it.
Uh, JJ Abrams does not write this show SUzi. If you have a problem with the show, i think it would be directed at the actual writers, not someone who barely even has their name attached to this project. I actually liked the show and i'm not an easy person to please with tv and movies. I'm usually partial to shows that have a sci-fi theme/element to it, and they typically get cancelled. I must say that i enjoyed this show. It wasn't perfect. If given a 2nd season, i feel they are things it could improve on. I like the flashbacks, surprisingly..I didn't think i would like it at first, because it's been done before with LOst, and even Once Upon a Time kinda uses the back and forth-ish elements. The flashbacks are not boring. The story moves enough each week to keep the back story/side story/mythology moving along, but not so slow that it's unbearable. I"m also glad it only had 13 episodes, and it's starting to catch on in the tv world to have fewer episodes that way more focus can be given to the episodes rather than trying to string out a 22 episode season. I felt 13 was a good number for this new series, or it would have been over kill trying to fill out another 9 episodes.

JJ Abrams and Bad Robot Productions is still involved in Alcatraz.
That article in no way says that.
At first, I threatened to only watch a few episodes if it was woeful BUT I have watched the whole season and it has been woeful. The reason I kept watching is because I want to know what is behind the now revealed reinforced door with 3 locks. I also want to know where the prisoners and staff have been for 50 years. JJAbrams, who I normally love, really fell short on this one. He makes up for this shortfall in spades with Fringe, IMHO.
i LOVE this show!! I really hope you are wrong
Well I guess everyone has the right to have an opinion but writting a review with incorrect facts is not right...

Hello Harlan Simmons new caracter??? Everyone who is paying attention, even a low one, knows who Harlan is, he appear in the 4th episode so by new.... guess not!!

Even Sam Neill was overacting. That's sad, because I like him.
I think the story between Lucy and Hauser is much more interesting than the whole Alcatraz thing. Its sweet, not nauseating.
Are you all kidding? It was a great finale! They killed off the most inept and unbelievable female cop of all time. I spent the season disliking Rebecca more and more with each passing episode, and my prayers were answered!
It's nice to see I'm not the only one who was irritated by her existence.
ya...she was not believable but I still liked her because she didn't act like an invincible superhero like leading ladies in Alias or other cop dramas.
Hey, she could have been like the female detective in Cold Case. She was awesome yet not invincible, she felt real.
There you go. Assign Sydney Bristow to the Alcatraz team and instant ratings. :-) My irritation is with her lack of basic cop training (you know, like don't stand too close to the perp and get your gun taken out of your hand).

I think some people need to disappear to Alcatraz in 1963. Man, this was probably the worst season finale and even season of any series I saw. Come to think of it, why did they get a full season while series like Traveler, which was way better get cancelled after a few episodes.

First of all. I don't think there is another season, but if there is. I hope they have a very plausible reason to get her back alive, I mean, they noted a time of death. Then the whole answer thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they want us to think that Simmons is one side of the the 63's and the Warden the other. And Tommy Madsen helps the Warden. The warden wants something of Simmons that Simmons doesn't give him. Apparently that is why they are back. However, Simmons was of the Island before the disappearance, so how is it possible he knows about it.

Then the part where the Warden was already taken blood and stuff before Simmons was released. So that he is back for Simmons only is not even possible.

Also there is another doctor, where did he come from? Oh and about the map with all the inmates one it. 2 flaws there. I believe they said that not every inmate had the metal in his blood (or was it that with some of them it made them heal faster and with others it didn't).

But worse, so if they can track the inmates they know where the captured inmates are.

Then the episode before the final. Come on, I like smart people in series and I even liked this one at the beginning, but what is wrong with the writers. If you make him this smart and he can anticipate other peoples moves do it right. It was pretty stupid to believe that if he let Rebecca warn the bank in order to let them call the security company to move the key that would work. But not think of the fact that they can change the codes every minute.

The final, I'm sorry but what kind of cop is Rebecca. If you have a gun pointed at the suspect you don't come to close and certainly are not going to make a talk. First of all, you let him turn around. She did that after a while, but she let him leave his hands free and next to his body. No handcuffs or something. How stupid could you be?

Harsh to say but she deserves to die if she is that stupid.
Before Simmons left the island, the Warden gave him some contact info for "a friend." Chances are, said friend was involved in all of this.

The Warden probably wanted Simmons involved since the guy was a certified genius. But Simmons probably betrayed them the last minute or something.
Final verdict: I gotta stop watching shows at their inception. From now on, I'm waiting till season 2...
I KNOW some of this has already been pointed out, but I'm gonna write my opinion in full, as if I haven't read any elses' yet....

-Harland Simmons was in an earlier episode. He actually played a big part.

-I thought gold was behind the triple locked doors. Were those other doors? Confusing shit, I tell ya...

-Having Rebecca flatline to end season 1 pretty much flatlined my interest in season 2. It was a pathetic f'n insult.

-I don't know why I watched the whole first season (minus the displaced episode)...but I really gave Alcatraz a fighting chance.... It did not deliver. I hoped for a great finale for my sake, and the shows. It did not deliver.
Ugh, WORST FINALE EVER!
To be fair I've seen worse. V series finale, Farscape's last 5 minutes of the series finale, and a bunch of unrememberable series over the years.

That being said, it will be VERY weak if it turns out to be a series finale: no real answers or closure.

If it was just a season finale, then just a bad one.
Even if Alcatraz comes back for another season, I'm still going to wait to see if they green light s3 (or if s2 is the last). This 13 episodes have mostly been pure sh!t. The show just keeps going downhill, worse than the cheap summer series like Eureka or Falling Skies.
Tim: Good call on the green Beetle. If anyone cares, you can see the chase from "Bullitt" on YouTube. And if you don't care, you can see it on YouTube ...
Tim is not a troll, he is the consensus of the collective human race. And what if he was? I never really understood why people are bothered by negative reviews. If you saw the episode, I'm pretty sure you wrote and read your own review inside your head. So you got your good review right there. What is Tim gonna do? Influence Fox? He's good, but nobody's THAT good.
trolls rarely troll for influence, they just do it because they want to.. and so I find it quite fair to call Tim a troll for this very case because he has been extremely annoying in his approach from the very first episode.. his baseless hatred (a show being bad does not really define a base for such hateful writing, Price and the The River critiques can be a great example for that) towards Alcatraz made it pretty unbearable for both him and those who find -or used to find- him credible in TV analysis.. and who are you to decide about the consensus of a collective human race, as you can read below, and in many other comments written for his other hideous Alcatraz episode critiques, you see that some of us like and watch the show.. and dont ever talk about ratings, as you know, they prove absolutely nothing .. and finally the problem with the negative review is not its negativity but its tone, wording, attitude, etc..
Why do they let trolls do reviews? I think a sci-fi show that is believable is probably not a sci-fi show. This reviewer should be cancelled...
Um, no. Sci-fi can be believable if it is well-thought out, written in a compelling way, and feels organic in the world that is built. Just because something operates on premises different from reality doesn't mean that it isn't believable. Throwing a bunch of crap at the wall and seeing what randomly sticks is unbelievable, and throw is what Alcatraz did.
crappy series, and crappy review. How could i take you serious tim surette if you can't even remember that this was not harlan simmons first apparience. Dont remember the name of the episode, but he was the one that double crossed a prisoner to take over the bussiness of contraband inside the prison.
...plate tectonics. PLATE TECTONICS? WTF?

And the car chase was incredibly boring, such as Snookie in almost evry scene.
Even though I like the show, it was hard to sit through.
Glad I stopped watching Alcatrash after episode 4...
the show is alright needs to get better, but it's ok... HUGO is cool LOL
Show had a lot of potential, but didn't really deliver and, for me at least, was quite boring.
So question on the guy in the hermetically sealed room: how long ago do you think he appeared? After all, opening the door had that whole vacuum / seal-breaking effect.

They showed cans of food next to him and he looked disheveled, and I imagine a sealed-room that size would probably give him hours of air (maybe a day).

If the room wasn't sealed, I guess they could play it off as he's been there since 1963 and has been shaving with shards of glass or something... unless this blood prevents hair-and-nail growth.
I lost all interest in this show. they show you previews and your there looks good I'll watch but when you see it you feel that you just wasted 45 - 50 mins of your life.

If there is no second series I won't loose any sleep because of it.

Why get rid of shows that work and put other stuff in it's place I know some shows run there course and hey that's fine but they are others that seem to take off and everyone watches them but the next thing you know there gone WHY ?
Oh no a main character died... in a show where there's miracle blood and mysterious puppet-masters pulling strings. So... in other words... plenty of opportunities for her to come back.

Props to Soto, for putting the mystery of Alcatraz (his reason for being) on the back-burner to be there for his partner.

Hauser pulling the gun on Soto, with his GF trying to calm him down, was funny. The guy IS trigger happy, but is he trigger-happy enough to shoot a subordinate in public / daylight when he just wants to delay Hauser's request by an hour tops? Tough call
Agreed, ALCATRAZ could have been so much better, but still, it is a good show, and the last two episodes certainly made me wanna watch a season two.

And if you don't remember Rebecca Madsen's name, that sure ain't the shows fault, but your individual lack of comprehension. Effin morons, really!

Oh, and Din Child, I really pity you, fool! Leading such a sad and pathetic life, trolling this site and commenting on every comment. What a f***ing loser.
Dear God, please define "troll" for me. It takes almost 5 minutes to respond to someone. And even less to press the post button. Believe it or not, there's still time in the day to do/accomplish other things. Fear not, though, considering you haven't questioned the validity of my posts, and therefore, opinions, I'll continue to do as I please.
Well, I think that Alcatraz has been very entertaining throughout its first season. I like the interplay between the lead characters. I care what happens to them. I rather enjoy the criminal of the week too and their storylines and unveiling the quirks and motivations that made him commit his crimes. I'm not a big fan of procedurals but I'm hooked on this show. I don't feel as if all the questions have to be answered or that each episode should follow a strict format. If I miss an episode I don't feel as if I have missed something crucial rendering the next episode unwatchable. Having said that, I would like more than vague hints about how the prisoners have time-traveled. We don't know and at this point I get the feeling that the writers don't have a clue either. Given enough time it may turn out to be incredibly fantastic.

I loved V and I loved The Event. You called them garbage and I completely disagree with that assessment. Both shows deserved to evolve into their potential. You cannot do that in just one season. The second season builds on the first. Lost was a success because it was allowed to evolve. It too was muddled by too many mysteries and incoherrent events. But it was allowed continue and people invested their time. The entire story could have been told in one season without all the flashbacks. But the writers were given free rein to develop multiple plotlines and flesh out characters.

Anyway, I hope there is a second season but FOX might drop the ball again. Their track record for supporting new shows is abysmal. Too much reliance on the numbers and lots of competition.
But part of the reason Lost was allowed to evolve is it started off strong--it got its base in well-developed characters with thematically rich episodes that did the developing. That foundation was required before it could really delve into its convoluted plot. That first step of establishing a solid, intriguing core was what Alcatraz completely tripped over.
Maybe its just me but what really irritates me is seeing a "awesome qualified-for-the-task cop" Rebecca (While I'm writing this i had to scroll up to remember her name, thats how bad the show have introduced her, that her name hasn't even stuck in my mind yet..) get stabbed. I mean look at the situation, she has a gun pointed at Tommy, why doesn't she just take a step back? So she is safe and out of reach. I mean it was so predictable that Tommy would turn around and do something. Then again we all knew that was going to happen thanks to the first minute of the episode. If you're going to do a "36 hours earlier episode" than do it a little unpredictable.

Maybe it is just me.. But a thousand of these small important details, get on my nerves. Whats next? Going in to a ghost house, alone, and asking if anybody is there?

And the cliffhanger that she flatlines in the end, seriously? I wonder how they thought when they wrote this.. did they say: You know what, let her flatline in the season finale. And then in season 2, we can bring her back somehow. It doesn't matter how because it will be another mysterious question for the audience. we'll figure something out in season 2 finale.

I'm going to qoute Tim the way he wrote it really is true "and the show continues to insult your intelligence. "
Tim Surette, you're a moron. Sarcastically ripping apart a show you clearly paid no attention to is immature. I can't believe you get paid for this trash. Your answers to the questions posed above are incorrect. The plate tectonics remark was one of several made in the episode, clearly remarking they still have no idea how the '63s are returning. They took Tommy Madsen's blood so they could treat it with silver and then re-infuse him with it. This was very clearly answered in the finale. Actual critics watch shows and make intelligent evaluations. You are a joke.
I never asserted that I accepted the answers the show put forth in the finale regarding the plate tectonics or silver-based tracking system. I only pointed out in my original post that the reviewer here, Tim, posed three questions and answered two of them incorrectly in his scathing review. I agree, the plate tectonics mention, along with the other possibilities, sounded pretty stupid to me. But that wasn't THE answer given in the finale like Tim said it was. Tim also said the answer to "Why do they keep sucking the blood out of Tommy Madsen" was "we don't know." Again, incorrect. It was very clear they took his blood in order to infuse it with the silver and put it back in his body. I never said anything in my post about how believable this was or anything regarding the believability of the silver-based tracking system. Please don't attack me for things I did not say or do. I have issues with the show as well. I just don't appreciate the way Tim went about his critique of the show, that's all. It was sarcastic, inaccurate and came across like something an immature 13 year old would write. I have no issue with negative reviews, as long as they are accurate and maturely stated. This is not a big deal, I was just irked by the way Tim wrote his piece. I am also disappointed when a show with a lot of potential doesn't do well or resonante with audiences. We have so many procedural mystery/crime dramas on network tv these days. Alcatraz has so much potential, so many places it can go, if they just get ir right. Sometimes shows like these take a season or two to really find their groove. I think Alcatraz should be given another shot to make some changes and see if it can really pull in audiences, and perhaps try to be a little more clever.
More +
The reviewer is just having his fun.

Yes, the whole "how did they get here" was NOT answered... the scientist himself said it could be any bunch of things and didn't know. Just that the running theory was that tectonics/magnetism were related since they picked up strange readings.

So basically you accept that plate tectonics is AT LEAST a good place to start for time travel. You ALSO accept that so long as you re-infuse silver into the blood stream, you can be tracked and located in time. Tim has been very patient with this show. As I'm sure many others have. Why you feel so staunchly opposed to a negative opinion isn't Tim's problem. Your counter argument is weak and as much a joke as you assert Tim to be. BUT, thank you for your opinion. It did make me laugh.
tim is bashing this show from the very first episode, and you call this patience?? tim has never been patient with this show, and actually no one is supposed to be thankful to him for being patient to any show, as, you know, this is his job.. so he HAS TO stick with the show and he has done it with no single patience.. and for disregarding all the suggestive answers above, I assume you are an expert on both: geology/geodesy and medicine/health? this arrogance of you I-know-everything people is nauseating to say the least..
"I assume you are an expert on both: geology/geodesy and medicine/health? this arrogance of you I-know-everything people is nauseating to say the least.."

So...it's NOT arrogant to accept the possibility that shifting land plays a role in time travel, and that silver is, at the very least, a component in time-travel-lojacking? I never said I knew everything, but common sense, and a little bit of research, tells me this is bullshit. Second, no reviewer is contractually obligated to follow a specific show. We learned this by way of Seth's abandonment of Spartacus. Separate story entirely; the point is you assumed the opposite to be true, which is pretty arrogant in itself, is it not?
I agree with no1pjs cogent assessment of Tim's lack of critical skills. He wasn't opposed to a negative opinion he just has a different POV. All stories have two sides, if you didn't know. And Tim cannot arrogantly proclaim that the show is an insult to "your' intelligence. An intelligent person would never say such a thing. I mean, assuming intelligence in another person without ample evidence is often a leap of faith. Indeed, I've heard that really intelligent persons don't spend much time watching television. And I've also heard that really dullish persons will laugh at just about anything ....
Then you'd be wrong. Tim is highly critical, and speaks the truth. I, myself, stated he does have a different opinion. Also, Tim CAN (regardless of arrogance) proclaim whatever he pleases. In this case, he provided, throughout the season, enough evidence (supported by much more viewers than yourself) that Alcatraz is a theoretical and fundamental nightmare. In fact, intelligent people attack inferior accolades all the time. It's the dullard who allows simple-minded concepts to propagate without contention or question. No one has said you're wrong for enjoying this show...but the evidence against its objective negatives are resounding.
What a disaster. Is there any person here who could have done worse with the writing? Or should they have just fired the director? No wonder Elizabeth Sarnoff left. But then again, I don't know what the "original" pilot episode looked like, so maybe it was doomed from the beginning. Guess you can't just throw a J.J. Abrams tag at everything and assume it'll make a show worth watching.
The JJ comment has been true for a whiiiiiiiile. And also, the writing! Hahaha. I posted a quote from the first half of the double feature. The whole scene was a joke, but it was punctuated by a brilliant line!

When they brought in the little girl for questioning (and for whatever reason, drawing pictures IMMEDIATELY elicited the correct answers,) the main female character asks, "where does she live? And why aren't we there right now?" I replayed that a time or two, just to make sure I actually heard that right....how stuff like this gets past the producers/directors/actors/writers/showrunner/networks is beyond me.
The finale was frustrating and not very satisfying. I knew all of the answers to the big mysteries wouldn't be revealed in the finale, but I was hoping for more meat on the bone they threw to us. If there's a second season (which I doubt, too), I hope we learn a lot more.

The special silver-blood mixture made me think of the Quicksilver stuff from the Sci-Fi (Syfy) series The Invisible Man. Except, Quicksilver is what made Darien Fawkes turn invisible and the special silver-blood mix made the 63s... whatever the heck they are. (I also joked that they were turning Tommy into The Silver Surfer.)
Frankly we enjoyed the series. It was refreshing to watch a TV show that actually was entertaining and looked forward to seeing it the next week. Hope they will continue it one more season (so more questions will be answered).
Special Guest Star, Deforest Kelly appears from the past (future) to announce, She's dead Jim... The End, we hope
No, Dr. McCoy, she's not dead ... there's still much life in the gal. You of all persons should know that she'll survive and fully recover for a second season!
Question of the hour: if a cop demanded your car to pursue a suspect in high speed, would you simply give it to him or her?
Only if I'm shown credentials and I got to tag along.
If he showed me his police badge to prove he's an actual police officer? Yes.
Alcatraz leaves to be desired, even comparing it to other canceled sci-fi dramas. At least the ones Time mentioned left with a bang, left us wanting for more.

Flashforward ended with another global flashforward! Some five years into the future, showing great changes to the characters and society! All new possibilities there.

The Ev3nt ended with a freaking alien planet on Earth's orbit! That alone could guarantee four more seasons if well explored.

Even "V", which was a bad, bad show I won't miss, ended with mankind subdued by the Queen's bliss! Major characters died! A whole new level of resistance with the Army and stuff found underground! It would really take the fight to a new level.

Well, at least Alcatraz left us with... What did they leave us with again? Let me see...

- A US map with red dots!

- A man from the 1960s who was sleeping on the floor of the secret room and is now laughing histerically!

- Tectonic plates!

- A mysterious bazillionaire doing... Well, I don't know what he was doing, but it must be something big, right?

- Prisoners from 1963 coming back to present time! (No, wait, we've known that since the pilot...)

- A working time machine found under the island of Alcatraz... (No, not really, I made up that part...)

- But wait: the main character's life hangs in the balance! She's a cop, and she's most probably dead! (No, wait, until proof to the contrary, that's the cliffhanger of any ordinary cop show... Is this CSI Freaking San Francisco now?)

To sum up, the producers of Alcatraz behaved like they had been assured at least four more seasons. They arrogantly felt like they didn't owe us, viewers, any explanation or interesting answers.
Did I just read a less coherent blow-by-blow of Tim's review? Y'know, it's pretty easy to see the quality and trajectory of a show based on the first two episodes.
No, you read someone *agreeing* with Tim's review. However, I don't know what you understood because your understanding skills seem rather incoherent. And what does seeing a show's quality in two initial episodes have to do with what I said? I was talking about season/series finales. But now that you mention it, no, a show can really bring good surprises after the first two episodes.
Yes, you agreed with Tim. But you agreed with Tim by repeating everything he said. You're right, but a blow-by-blow isn't really necessary, and I can call you out on it if I want. It's called redundancy.

As far as the second comment was concerned, it's quite possible I was responding to everyone else. Meaning, I'd read a bunch of other comments, and I chose to throw it in here. But I was still assured that the topic was sound. Alcatraz showed zero promise that it would be any good from the get-go. And maybe you can provide me a list of one or two shows that defy that stance, but it's true...shows do NOT get much better on the average. And it's not about surprises...it's about quality of writing, cinematography, acting, character, story-presence. I don't deny you're right to enjoy a show, or even have hope in it, but don't pretend like I'm an asshole for arguing against it.
Note: See Lost.
I did.
Failed to live up to the expectation... hard to say which one was more disappointing this or terra nova!

On a more positive note THE BORGIAS is back! didnt see this covered on tv.com perhaps there isnt much of a following.. but I love the show!
There was a TV.com link about Showtime putting free premiers on their website, and Youtube. It's sexual content is censored, but the show is still really badass.
I love how a lot of people said they stopped watching the show episodes ago. Yet they keep coming to read the review. Why? Because its a bashing wagon, that's why. I have said it multiple times, the reviews of Alcatraz weren't good. The show is lackluster on many regards but it also has or had many good things. None mentioned here. What is the purpose of this review if you are not going to analyze anything? You already showed us your position. Never mentioned how the blood enhances them or the metal in it is using to track them AS STATED IN THE SHOW, no mention of how madsen was special in the first place and that was introduced since the beginning, no mention of the conflict that lucy has with the fact that hauser is not only older but not the man she fell in love with but heck he waited a lot for her. Also Madsen knew partially what was going to happen and that was hinted since the beginning. Etc, etc. You insinuated that the EVENT is better than this. PLEEEEEASE. Jump in the bandwagon people, Hive mind at its best. HECK think the show is bad but if you are here is because you think is worthy of some analyzing right? or you are just here for a pathetic I HATE THAT TOO club? sheesh If you were a little more balanced i could have the chance to criticize this show
The only thing better than a good review is a negative review. \
That's why I'm here...
I really don't understand the hatred for this show. Is it a great show? No, but it has a solid story and has plenty of plot threads that are interesting. If crap shows like Glee can stay on the air why can't a show that actually has an interesting premise get another season.

Second, Tim really shows his incompetence as a reviewer when he doesn't even realize that Harlan Simmons was introduced earlier in the season when he took over the contraband business by betraying one of the other 63s. Way to waste an entire paragraph complaining about an issue that doesn't even exist.
I don't fault him for missing that detail. Perhaps, to you, it was major (and yes, magnified by Tim's comments) but to be honest, after watching an episode of Alcatraz, I'm surprised he remembered anything at all. You can possibly make an argument here, but calling him out as an incompetent reviewer doesn't make sense. His in-depth analyses of shows (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are fairly spot on, and often forecast things I wasn't expecting. So yes, disinterest in a show may yield a less jovial review...but your one gripe aside, he was pretty dead on.
A good reviewer is supposed to remain objective. If they love a show too much then they slide over any faults and just give glowing praise. If they hate it, then you hear nothing but negativity for it. Was this a great show? Not at all. Was it as bad as he says? Again. Not at all.

TV.com should be analyzing their reviewers and switching them out whenever they stop being objective. Every show has both good and bad episodes (or in some cases, seasons). If a reviewer cannot see past their own prejudices, either for or against a show, then they shouldn't be writing about it. As much as I might laugh at their rants about certain dumb things that happen during an episode, this is not a comedy forum.
Tim was objective. He voiced in contention when either the quality of story-telling was threatened, or acting/writing/directing/direction was questionable. Being objective, barring voicing the aforementioned, would yield a play-by-play banal analysis of something we already watched. Appealing to the greater population of people is NOT the responsibility of the reviewer. That's why there are MANY reviewers. It's YOUR responsibility to find a reviewer you believe is reliable...but honestly? It seems like all people want are reviewers who either agree with them, or don't speak negatively (as if it was so damn bad.) Tim is right in ALL the objective qualities of Alcatraz. If you disagree, good for you. Let that be a strengthening of your values, and less a call to arms. Tim is doing what he -- himself -- believes in.
Because most of the world doen't want to see this crap....
Load More Comments