Alphas: Look What Dragged In the Kat

Alphas S02E03: "Alpha Dogs"

There was a lot of great stuff going on in last night's episode of Alphas, "Alpha Dogs," the best-written and best-directed episode of the three we've seen so far in this young season. A lot of it had to do with it feeling like the Alphas of old, something the first two episodes struggled with by being tasked with bringing everyone back together. But really, it's all about knowing what's important and what the audience wants, and "Alpha Dogs" covered all that.

When Alphas was at its best in Season 1, the team was getting work done together, characters were developing through personal stories, season-long arcs were taking shape, and various Alphas were punching each other in the face. Check! Times four! Because of these factors, the season's essential episode-by-episode structure—Rosen and his crew were tracking down escapees from Building 7 in a case-of-the-week format—isn't actually the most compelling part of the show.

Case in point, "Alpha Dogs" saw the group hunting down the killer of Mr. Electric Hands, a Building 7 fugitive. Rachel's nose and Gary's internet brain tracked down the culprit: a venom-spitter named Bazevich who attended an underground Alphas fight club. Bill and Hicks went undercover to find the guy, but there was no final fight between Bill and Bazevich because the guy was dead the whole time. That was it. They were looking for a guy who was already dead. (Yes, they did discover a lab that was performing experiments on Alphas which will probably be important later, but that was an unintended find and not the goal of the investigation.) That's not exactly standard procedure for a procedural, but it never stopped "Alpha Dogs" from being a rewarding episode of Alphas because so many other interesting things were going on.

Gary, Rachel, and Bill all had interesting stories going on simultaneously, and they were told with heart and humor, something Alphas does with such ease that its scribes should consider side jobs as Greeting Card writers. Gary continues to be one of television's most fascinating characters, and seeing him move out of his house and into the office was both triumphant and heartbreaking. Bill got Mr. Miyagi'd into some Zen tricks to help him harness his amp-up power, which in turn helped him with his personal life. And adorable little Rachel smelled love or something like it on new tactical lead John, rushed to judgment, and asked him out against the wishes of the DCIS's Employee Ethics Handbook.

What brings these character stories to the next level is how each one relates to the corresponding person's powers. Gary is an autistic kid with the ability to read radio waves and internet signals and all kinds of things that transmit through the air. The paradox is that while he's socially incompetent due to his condition, he's also instantly connected to everyone anywhere. And there's a bit of a Jekyll-and-Hyde thing going on with beefy Bill; on one hand he's a loving husband, on the other he's a cop who's always willing to throw himself into the line of fire. He's trying to balance both sides, and his Alpha ability to hulk out pulls him away from his gentler side and literally endangers his life because his heart might pop like a balloon. Finally, two weeks ago we saw Rachel hide in her room with blinders on trying to shut out all her senses, but her Alpha ability (hyper-sensitivity of the five senses) forces her to over-analyze everything. That tends to translate to her real life, as happened during her hurried, nervous, and clumsy proposal to John that they get dinner together. These characters are little stories in of themselves. Gary seeks independence. Bill is looking for control. And Rachel needs serenity. Their powers affect their personal lives either directly or through metaphor, and that's why their stories—brief as they were—were so rich this week.

With every superhero ensemble, the fun part comes in meeting new team members, and "Alpha Dogs" gave us Kat (TV journeywoman Erin Way). She's a more sprightly, bubbly, less-powered version of Heroes' Sylar, with the ability to replicate physical skills just by observation. The catch? Learning new skills pushes old ones out of her noodle, meaning she forgets things about a month after she learns them. This also applies to memories, even fond memories of hot dogs. Because she's the new girl, let's pass instant judgment. We've only spent an hour with her so far, but I can already tell she'll be a good fit for the team, personality-wise. She's got the vivaciousness that her co-workers only sometimes have. And what's not great about having a teeny-tiny little blonde bounce about with so much energy?

But this jam-packed episode still wasn't done giving us stuff to chew on. Last week, I whined about not having enough information on Stanton Parish to make him feel like a legitimate threat or curiosity. Well you all can thank me now, because "Alpha Dogs" was loaded with a very detailed background check on him. Rosen found an old physician's journal detailing Stanton's former life as a Union soldier in the Civil War with the ability to heal at rates that reduced a bullet to the brain to little more than a scratch. But it wasn't just information on his abilities that we got. We also learned that Parish is a bit of a big-picture guy who doesn't really care who he kills on his way to achieving whatever goal he has in mind (still waiting on that one). And what the writers are doing with him is pretty cool. He's being built up mostly as villain but also as a freedom fighter who might be doing the right thing for Alphas. They even made him a Union soldier (generally considered the "good guys," sorry, Alabama), tying in the idea of civil rights (for slaves AND Alphas). It's a continuation of what Season 1 did with Red Flag, and ambiguous villains always make the best villains.

"Alpha Dogs" was a thick episode of Alphas, but it never felt too crowded or bogged down by trying to do too much. There was a lot of information to process, but all the balls stayed in the air the entire hour because no one thread outshone the others and all of them were given proper screentime. If this is a preview of the future of Season 2, we're gonna be just fine.

NOTES

– Another wrinkle in Bill's story: In the final scene, Bill, well after the investigation was done, returned to the Alpha fight club to do some more brawlin' now that he's managed to get a grip on his power. Is his thump-lust getting the best of him and pulling him back toward violence? Ironically, his new-found control over his ability may set him out of control. His wife is not going to like that one bit!

– Great deadpan delivery by David Strathairn when Hicks told Dr. Rosen he was dating Rosen's daughter. "As long as you keep my daughter happy, you can keep your job here." Was he joking? Was he serious? It was both, and I'm still amazed that the talented Strathairn is on this plucky little show.

– What was the deal with Rubber Man, the dude Bill one-punch-KO'd? He was just jumping about like a Mexican bean. Maybe next time try throwing a punch? Worst use of an Alpha power ever.

– I loved Kat's questions to Dr. Rosen about who they were and her request to join the team. She's a keeper.

– I still think Hicks' superpowers come off best on the show. The way he shot the bullet out of the air was just badass.

QUESTION: It comes as no surprise, especially considering the way she acted last week, that Nina's absence from this episode made it much better. Do we kick her out of the group, guys? Let's hear what you have to say in the comments!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

What's with the flashes of "Anna is Alive" that they were showing on the ads?
Greatly enjoyed the episode, so many great developments. I really enjoyed Kat, I didn't see from the episode that she was actually joining the team (she just wanted to join), so its good to know that she is actually sticking around. Definitely agree on your sentiments about Gary, he is most definitely one of the most interesting characters on television, always glad to see episodes developing his character.
Awesome episode and a very good review Tim!

However, Hicks shooting the bullet out of the air was a bit too far stretched for me. We know his ability to be perfect hand eye coordination (or something to that effect).

How was he able to see the bullet or shoot just in time? Also simple pistols are not lasers they have deviation, so it was just pure luck shooting a target as small as a bullet, not to mention one that is already in the air.

I always enjoy Alphas treatment of superpowers, especially since the fiasco that Heroes was, but this was just a bit annoying

In any other case - brilliant episode :)
Hicks' ability involves "luck" - choosing the one path of millions that works. To him, hitting a moving object is no more difficult than hitting a stationary one by using a triple ricochet.
I think Hick's ability also involves predicting trajectory of moving objects. If he can shoot perfectly, it means he can predict the track of the bullet with high accuracy. If he can predict his own bullets, it makes sense for him to predict bullets from other guns.
Ok, that makes more sense. I remember him predicting trajectories. However, my argument still applies. He could not predict the trajectory of his bullet since he cannot see inside the gun or what is happening at the moment of the shot therefore he sees the trajectory of his own bullet only after it's fired. But that's just nit picking. It should be assumed then that guns are lasers and shoot without deviation.

If I am being annoyed (and "annoyed" is too strong a word here) at such details, then the show must be really doing a good job of portraying these abilities :)
Yes, kick Nina out of the group!
Thinking about it in retrospect, I don't really find the episode to have been that great. But much more importantly, I had a fun time while watching it. That's all that really matters, and so I really liked this episode. The main reason this is my favorite episode of the season? None of the characters were annoying. Bill, Rachel, and Hicks were relatively back to the way they were -- Rachel looking as good as ever might I add -- and Gary was pretty great. The two new additions seem cool, moreso with Kat than the uh, guy (don't remember his name or Alpha power).

Hehe, I really liked the scene with Hicks telling Dr. Rosen about seeing his daughter and not just because they made it very anticlimactic and just got it out of the way. Both of their expressions as Rosen said "As long as you keep my daughter happy, you can keep your job here" was quite amusing.

As for Nina... I'm more than happy with her in the group when she's acting cool, kinda like most of last season. When she's overly selfish and bratty like the beginning of both seasons? She can GTFOff my screen.
i only had a problem with kat, (though i believe she is...as she said it...awesome) but how does she know that she forgets everything every month if she forgets it, if it were me, i would only believe i had a single case of amnesia, dont know if i made sense, but it bothered me a bit
Staff
I think she tattoos things on her chest like the dude from Memento
Personally, I'd be glad to see Nina leave. Never really liked her anyway - she's too amoral and self-centered, which is disastrous with her ability. Kat will be a great addition, and her personality can change drastically as her memories/experience shift.

One thing that really bothers me: originally, Rachel could use her hyperawareness with one sense only by losing the others. When she could supersmell, she couldn't hear. When did this change?
Ya I was a bit curious on this as well. All the alpha abilities came with drawbacks (Bill's heart condition, Hicks' slumps, Gary's autism). Rachel's was supposed to be losing her other senses, but that seems to have simply disappeared.
Excellent point, I forgot that about Rachel's powers! It does seem like a rather large plot hole considering that the unability to use her other senses was a huge catalyst for some of the drama in season 1.
Staff
I don't know that they've ever said she doesn't do that anymore. Maybe she's just getting better at it?
As evidenced by her self-inflicted solitary confinement? Haha. Sure, why not, I'll buy that since it implies that Rachel is getting more awesome.
I think this is a gaping hole in this character. She went from the fetal position to La Femme Nikita way to fast.
Alphas is just a well-writen show as both Heroes and X-Men weren't all that well-written. Good writing trumps everything.
I love Gary and he always says the darndest funny things - st8 smack direct between the eyes. There's a raw honesty from Gary and Kat that makes one reflect about stuff. Appreciate that from the show. This show is now a good expectation every weekend.
I would love to see Kat and Gary grown together. Their dialog would be hilarious and Gary could help her remember stuff from month-to-month, like first off, getting her to keep a journal...
I absolutely adored Kat. Oh Great Writers, please keep her!

I thought the Rosen-Hicks (sound like a space mission, doesn't it?) was expertly done. The dark unspoken message about what will happen if Dani ends up unhappy. I would not want to be Hicks.

Nina who?
Here we are, breaking rule #1 of Alpha Fight Club.
Great episode! Loved Gary, as always. And it's nice to have a new member on the team that's bursting with energy. It brightens the show up and it's something that sometimes the show lacks.

P.S. Not to sound rude or anything but it's Sylar not Skylar. Yes, I still kinda miss Heroes...
Hahaha... I was googling "Heroes +Skylar" trying to figure out who the heck that was before I realized it was probably just a typo.
LOL! :)
Staff
Gah you're right! I'm getting my Breaking Bad mixed up in here...
Loved this episode so much. So many great things going on. The Parrish background and the partial explanation of his power was really cool. Immortality is a very cool power when it's handled well, shame Heroes botched that so hard.

Parrish sort of reminds me of Vandal Savage if he had Magneto's outlook on life. Since I love both of those characters that makes me very happy.

Also loved Kat. Her power and it's subsequent side effect are just so cool. It's nice to the show having such natural cause and effect for it's powers. So much of this show makes me go back and curse Heroes for ruining perfectly good ideas (as if I needed a reason).

Great review Tim!
Staff
Thanks!!!
This was an ok episode, but every character felt lesser-than, Rachel and Bill weren't as nuanced, Hicks wasn't a character, Gary was a little different which was passable in theory but not quite working in practice, and Dr. Rosen was off his game. Rachel and Bill were given a lot to do in the episode so having less personality really doesn't fare well with them.
Skylar from Zeroes?

or

Sylar from Heroes?
Watching Bill getting beat up by Kat was hilarious. I think she's a fun character and I could see some awesome scenes between her and Gary or her and Hicks. Im not really sure how they will work her in, but Im glad she'll be staying around for a while.

Also, you are thinking of the Heroes' character Monica Dawson NOT Skylar.
Ya that was my thought as well. Although Kat's is more than Monica's was, as Kat is able to learn basically *anything* exceedingly quickly, she doesn't just mimic movements.
Monica had so much potential as a character... then she disappeared. Oh Heroes... :S
Absolutely love the series!

The Gary character played by the extremely talented Ryan Cartwright (who BTW is a Brit) is absolutely fantastic! And the writers give him terrific material.

I loved this ep it did feel like series 1 but with enough changes to feel that we are going somewhere: the characters are definitely evolving and growing which for me is a basic requirement for good story telling!

I love the way they advertise the series: "Alphas: Super, but Human" which sums up perfectly the series. You can definitely relate!
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Cartwright was actually slightly autistic. He just plays that role so well.
He was the Brit intern on Bones who was shot and killed at the end of the previous season so he could become an Alpha and his acting range is marvelous and he's not the least bit autistic, just a great actor.
That's what Im talking about. There's no way Mr. Vincent Nigel-Murray wasn't a little bit on the spectrum >.<
I must see things from a different perspective. Bill was taught something and seemed to want to practice. I dont see an issue with wanting to hone his skills outside the workplace where his team would not be at risk. It's a nice training grounds facility for staying sharp for when his team depends on him.

Rubberman had not yet begun to fight. He was taunting Bill to try to get a rise out of him. His ALPHA ability is primarily defensive, and pretty useless if he can't use your own exerted energy against you.

Kat is indeed a great character with some very interesting attributes but I wouldn't trade Nina away too soon. Nina's power may be overwhelmingly potent but creating a downside for it presents a challenge that could be very rewarding in terms of originality. One simple plan is make her a bad guy; This should help with figuring out what weaknesses she might have that could be implemented into typical situations. I hope the writers are up for the challenge cuz I dont want to see Nina leave forever.
Agree about Bill. Fight club is only going to give him the type of practice he couldn't receive anywhere else.
Staff
I like that idea about Bill. Love him too, so I fully endorse him fight clubbin' so he can kick ass.
Awesome episode, without a doubt. I've had my doubts about Alphas from time to time, but they've proven again that it's one of the better (underrated) shows on TV at the moment.
-I love that this show is going there. Bill gets better but with new strength comes new problems. Such a realistic idea. Good for this show.

-You are not wrong. That line in and of itself was great, and the delivery was spot on. That man is a fantastic actor and I don't know who convinced him to be on this show, but whoever did deserves a weekly paycheck just for that past action.

-I think Rubber Man was more one of those types who tires out the competition and then attacks. But yeah, that wasn't super impressive.

-Love Kat. Get rid of Nina and bring in Kat. Nina irratates and Kat is awesome.

-No problems with that here, too.

Question: Covered this earlier, but yes!! Kick her out of the group. Or, as would befit a more storied pace for this show, use this season to have her readjust her sense of priorities and have her go off on her own way at the end of the season with Kat staying to take her place. Because that's got WIN written all over it.
Everyone wanted to get rid of Captain Picard in lieu of Riker but we all soon learned that Picard was the best choice...
You described the episode and the progression of each character very well. I also agree that this episode definitely explored Gary, Bill, and Rachel more as well as introduced a new, interesting one in Kat. By the way, there was a girl in season 2 of Heroes that had Kat's ability. I don't remember her name, but her power was described as reflexive muscle memory.

I like Nina, but she can be a bit bitchy sometimes, but that comes with her power and her character, so nothing wrong with that to me. Kat is a refreshing option to her, but I don't see why both can't stay on. I already like Kat for her honesty and spunk. Her power is pretty tight too, but comes with a major side effect like everyone else.

This is only the third episode, but I'm already enjoying the ride big time. I'm glad its not like season 1 because it doesn't need to be. Season 1 was awesome, but its time to move on from that onto bigger things. So far the whole "humans with gifted abilities" angle is still working this season, but now Parrish is onto something big, and I'm aching to find out what, but I'm not in a rush. Good job, Alphas!
Staff
Thanks!
For the record, there wasn't a SKYLAR on Heroes. His name was Sylar and his power was nothing like Kat's. He stole other Heroes' abilities by slicing off their skulls and dissecting brains. You mean the character Monica, played by Dana Davis. She could learn new skills just by looking at them.

Nina's story arc is further developed next week. She's a valuable asset to the team. She's a stark contrast to Rachel and Nina.

Very entertaining episode. The scenes with Bill were golden. The direction is brilliant, I swear, it's improved tenfold compared to last Season, which used a lot of shaky cam. Someone is doing a fantastic job. I hope they keep up the pace and dont run off the rails.
Kat is cool, especially the cost of her power. With that balance, her power is the most interesting yet. Nina's is the least interesting because it is too powerful and easy to use to solve almost every problem. So, based on powers alone, I'd be up for a character trade. As for Nina as a character, powers aside, I could take or leave her.
I agree that it's a bit too powerful and convenient, but i think there could be a downside where she can injure people based on how strongly she pushes them, which could make her and her ability a bit more interesting. When she pushed rosen in that bar she lost her cool. i dont know how long he was out of it, but he didnt come to until after the place was empty.
The funny thing is, I couldve sworn they mentioned how if she pushed people too much she could send them into seizures, or micro-seizures. Is that no longer true?
I thought something like that was mentioned, too.
Maybe they'll be reviving that for next week?
Next week episode: The team discover that the alpha they're hunting is their missing teammate, Nina, whose powers are going out of control. I guess were not done yet with Nina!
Giant glaring plot hole... why didn't the cops/feds round up everybody at fight club? You know, to chip the dangerous ones, and take down names and phone numbers for the good ones?

Second glaring plot hole... if Alphas are so rare that you can keep their very existence secret right up until some academic starts blabbing about it on TV, how did enough of them find each other to start a fight club in the first place? (Even assuming that all of them want to fight, which seems unlikely.)
Well it is not a state of repression yet where you get arrested only because you are an Alpha. Plus it is wiser to keep an eye on the Fight Club and see what's going on because if they come in too strong they will not only worsen the balance between Alphas and non-alphas but will also encourage the growth of many more and more dangerous fight clubs. It is similar to gambling rings: it is better to keep an eye on them and see what's going on, and cull them from time to time... Otherwise they multiply...

"How did enough of them find each other to start a fight club in the first place?" The same way as all minorities do man! (woman?)
"it is not a state of repression yet where you get arrested only because you are an Alpha"

Ahem. Binghamton appeared to be full of people who didn't receive public trials for any crimes.
Still they are not arresting everybody who is an Alpha. We have seen as the Team rounds up the ones who get into trouble. I still don't see it as a "glaring plot hole" ROFL!
Gary sure didn't.
They are DCIS, not the cops. So....unless an Alpha is causing trouble and they need to catch that person, the fight club has nothing to do with DCIS, and I guess they simply left it alone to avoid making things too complicated. (Should they put them to Building 7 or to normal prison ? Building 7 is not for alphas who only participate in fight club but normal prison is not for alphas neither)
There were only alphas participating in the fights, and one of them was apparently killed by another alpha, so I'd say that fell under their mandate, especially since they had evidence of at least one of the Building 7 escapees they're supposedly looking for being there. And again, considering somebody died there, you'd think the organizers would be a little more leery about people hanging about in cars outside.
They used the internet. j/k
Also, people of like minds/kinds/types will always be able to find each other. It's just one of those things about human nature. From the way that you can tell that you like someone when you first meet them before they've even spoken to the way that someone like you will naturally like and dislike things that you like and dislike even though there seems no logical reason for them to be connected. People of like minds/kinds/types can always find each other.
They did. It was mentioned in the first episode of the season.
There was no Skylar in Heroes. (Perhaps you were thinking of Breaking Bad's Skyler?) the villain in Heroes was Sylar. And he didn't learn things by watching them; he acquired new powers. the character that learned new abilities by watching them on video was Monica Dawson, played by Dana Davis.
yeah, he cut open their heads and sliced pieces of their brains into his own. I'm hoping Kat is nothing like that!
Seems to me Sylar admitted he didn't have to do that to get their powers, he just liked it. Heroes got all screwed up because of Sylar - he was such a great character, sort of Dexterish, that they tried to write the show around him and should have either killed him after the first season or gave him his own show...
Heroes was curses from the getgo. First of all it had the wrong title. Heroes? Very few characters even acted like it.And tehre was too much destiny babble thrown in.

Alphas is more like it.
I dislike the title "Alphas", and really liked the title "Heroes". They weren't all heroes, but at the start of the show, the main characters were Peter Petrelli and Hiro Nakamura, two people with a strong desire to be heroes.

I'm not sure what it is I don't like about the term "alpha". Maybe it's just that it's too close to "alpha male".
I liked seasons one and two, after that it completely fell apart.
Heroes was killed by a loss of a showrunner. Alphas thankfully seems to be thriving. I sat through all of Heroes, so this feels like a reward for all that pain.
The writers' strike made the second season short, but it was the third season that was truly horrible. (Every character was randomly flip-flopping between good and evil for no apparent reason). I don't think the showrunner ever left. Bryan Fuller left, to run his own show Pushing Daisies. Maybe that's what you were thinking of.
I think if anything killed Heroes, it was the Writers' Strike.
I'm still on the fence about Kat, though I have a feeling that I'll grow to like her. I really think that Nina's going to come back just because she's a part of the team's family-like feeling; she's kinda seems like an older sister towards Rachel and Gary. I also really like the Rachel/John relationship that they have going. Looking forward to seeing where they take the season.
Nina is a more interesting character than some of the ones that are on the team now, but as someone said below, she needs to be less whiney. I just hope the writers can come up with a good reason for her to come back, because they have already established that she cares about no one but herself.

I would like to see something rather horrible done to her, so that she will join the team only because it's her best chance to find the people responsible. She then slowly becomes more normal because she's forced to interact with the rest of the team. That would be some decent character development. It would be especially cool if what's done to her involves someone controlling HER mind, so that she gets to see how much it sucks to be the victim.

Kat was great. Better than anyone on the team right now except maybe Gary, who I'm actually getting a bit tired of already.

I hate the idea of someone suffering at someone else's hands, but in this case, I think you are definitely onto something. Payback seems to be the only way Nina will learn. About her ability, anyway. I am not sure what it would take for her to pull up her big girl panties and quick acting like a spoiled brat.
Nina's power is too good to be part of such an incompetent team. I foresee her working with Stanton Parish because like Lonestar, she now sees that evil will always win because good is dumb.
im still trying to figure out the downside to her ability. I thought it was said that if she "pushed" people too much she could make them have seizures. They don't focus too much on the downside of Rachel's ability.
They pretty much ONLY focus on the downside of Rachel's ability. It got its own storyline with the soap this episode, and with her being a hermit in her room between seasons. Virtually every time she's on screen she's complaining about sensory overload.
Rachel can't have sex because it's too icky for her. Pretty big downside I think...
I like Kat. Hate the downside of her powers though.

Stanton Parrish: "Ordinary men react with fear and violence to anything new and different". I cannot help but agree with that statement.

I had a feeling Bill was going to return to the fight club. He hooked.

Actually, as soon as he said it, I said, "Heck, they react that was to things old and known, too."

Yes, like young John Connor, I do not hold out much hope for the human race.
Magneto said it in X-Men. "Humans have always feared what they don't understand."
Didn't like Nina from the moment I first saw her. Throw her overboard!
I don't like Kat... maybe she will grow on me
nina is pleasant when not being a bitch. it seemed to me when romance wasn't involved that she might have been the most level headed of the group in season 1. also the most motherly. i think the romance was unnecessary and partly ruined her character for me. but anyway i feel bad for the actress if they write her out because they wrote her so poorly prior. my vote is no. i'd like to have old nina back and feel like they're a place for her. also i noticed when discovering a phot of the cast with kat and nina included that with both the girls are still outnumbered 3-4. not including the less than compelling daughter who seems to be walking the line anyway.

side note kat is hot glad she must be sticking around.
Such a great episode of a great series. I think Kat is going to be great for the show. I think Bill finally realizing his power is going to be fantastic. Everything was really just on point for this episode. I do miss Nina a little, but her just coming back and being ok with everything just doesn't fit in with the reality of the show. It will take another episode or two to get her back. I am really looking forward to the rest of the season.
Nina's ability is useful, but her character's getting a bit boring/annoying, so unless she grows up a little, she's out!
I like Kat. She is like a little firecracker! I totally agree that the team was too serious. Even with Gary and his one-liners, the team lacked the youthful energy. I think Nina could come back, but only if she does some SERIOUS apologizing, and maybe donates half her stolen jewelry to Goodwill or something.

Firstly, Nina stays if she whines at least 68% less.

Also, Kat should definitely stay. Sometimes younger actors / actresses can be uber annoying but she was excellent.

If season 2 maintains this quality, I'll definitely prefer it to season 1 by a long way.
I have to agree with Vic, season 2 of Alphas has lost the fine edge that season 1 was packed full of. A new show-runner can be a good thing, but Alphas has definitely taken two if not three steps back. Yes Gary is still the best the show can offer, but the change in tone and feel has left me thinking that Alphas is heading the same way as Heroes? I will give it a few more episodes, but without more drive within an episode or better development of a clear series arc, I will wish it well and say goodbye. It is a pity as my sci-fi summer viewing of Warehouse 13 & Alphas was so great last year... at least W13 is still on the rails and all sci-fi fans can rejoice in the pure brilliance of Continuum, which despite being a rework of an old premise, continues to pack thrills & spills more into each episode than Alphas has managed in all three episodes of season 2. Alphas is dead, long live Continuum!
To each his own. Alphas is just as good as last season, wildly entertaining. It's not going to be exactly the same as Season 1, and you shouldn't expect it to. And There's been a clear series arc since episode 2x01.

Besides it's just episode 3.
The great thing about alphas, at least for me, is that it never disappoints and always keeps a nice steady pace in its storytelling. Even last season I was amazed when I complained about one thing in this week and next week the writers took care of it. It is like the show knows it's audience and what they want and even what they will want after they saw whatever it was they were going to see. It's like having this neat little show catered to your very own needs.

Gary was amazing. So funny, yet powerful performance.

I really loved Bill this episode. He was relaxed and social and for some reason I found his conversation with Kat at the hot dog stand just endearing. More Bill and Kat!

What? Are you kidding? They shouldn't throw Nina out! I'm kinda felt a bit scared when this blonde quirky chick came up. Coz if she stays full-on on the team there is a possibility that Nina can get less screen time. They might pull her further away from team and turn her into villain. That will be sad IMHO. I hope that's not the case. They should give her more storyline more deep story arcs. Coz we still know little about her. In previous season there were some hints but in whole she was a hot alpha girl with obvious alpha powers (it's kinda ironic - why does this hot lady need this kind of super power? seduction?) and second half for love story in Alphas.

She should be back and participate in team work. And actress is good. Give her good material.

This episode BTW was hillarious. Excellent. What we needed.
Funny, I found myself hoping exactly that she would become a major villain.
Personally, i never liked Nina (seemed too selfish -wait!- that was her alpha power/ability!)..at this moment i will take the new tactic guy or forgetful Kat over Nina anyway i can have them.

I still want to know, Dr. Rosen went spilly to the world, how are the "normals"feeling about the Alphas?/..Does Bill's wife know he is an Alpha?.

Gary and his mom subplot made my heart thaw..But it was interesting to see the effect of the incarceration on Gary, ..nothing fixes frustrations like a good screaming!!
I think I had the exact opposite reaction to the episode. I was bored, and where "The Quick and the Dead" had multiple climaxes, "Alpha Dogs" had none. Forty-five minutes into the episode, I figured the new tactical leader was going to get killed, because nothing seemed to be happening. Where you saw multiple stories being given equal weight, I saw a bunch of subplots strung together with no through line, like a soap opera. (Was Eureka like this?) The best thing about the episode was Rosen realizing that Parrish wanted him to find that journal. It would be interesting if Rosen also knows that Dani is working with Parrish.
I thought much of the same, but i wouldn't say nothing happened. There was plenty character development (subplots, as you mentioned). Maybe not much has happened as far as moving the overall plot along (hello, it's episode 3!) but enjoy the ride for what it is. It's storytelling.
Maybe the word I was looking for touchstones rather than climaxes, like those moments on CSI just before commercial where there's some revelation you didn't know at the beginning of the scene. Gary's coping with his experiences over the last year was kind of interesting (although his argument that the Alpha's offices were safe was flawed; Rosen was abducted from them just last episode), but that kind of stuff is garnish, not the meal.
It made perfect sense for Nina to be missing this episode, based on how the previous one went. But I'm assuming there's more planned for her storyline. I'm not thrilled with how she devolved into just pushing everyone, ESPECIALLY Hicks, over the hiatus. And her reaction to Hicks finding someone else was awfully childish, though I suppose with her ability she'd have trouble dealing with not being able to get what she wants. I hope they manage to redeem her character somewhat, and soon.
She claimed she pushed Hicks on accident. She needs more control of her emotions. When she gets angry it just comes out.
Let me see the next episode and decide if they should keep or not Nina in the show.

I like her!!!! Come on... If you had her power... maybe you would act like her... or not?