Alphas: Pushed to the Edge

Alphas S02E04: "When Push Comes to Shove"

("I've Seen All Good People" by Yes, the episode's last song, in case you need a reading soundtrack.)

I know that in a few of my past Alphas articles I've talked about a model formula for the show, which goes something like this: good Alphas track down a bad Alpha and throw him or her into Binghamton. While that is a general rule for the show and a good bet with regard to what you'll get when you tune in, Alphas has shown that it wants to be a whole lot more, with bigger season-long storylines, a slowly unfolding mythology, and "special" episodes like last season's exceptional "The Unusual Suspects."

Last night's "When Push Comes to Shove" was another episode that broke the mold of our expectations with a perfectly timed character exploration. And I say perfectly timed because Nina (Laura Mennell) has been getting on all of our nerves lately, the only member of the original team who was reluctant to re-team with the DCIS when Season 2 got everyone back together. Her orbit has always been the furthest away from the rest of the gang, distant from Rosen as the center and just a tiny push away from shooting off on her own trajectory. And when she said, "No thanks" to coming back to the DCIS, it was a slap in the face to us. "Good riddance!" we said, "Who needs ya?"

But it was all set up for a very effective, Nina-centric episode that gave us what we so badly needed: answers to why she's such a cold hard-ass. Surprise! Nina comes from a crappy childhood. And her power—the ability to "push" others into doing her will—is unique on the team because it requires manipulating others (well, mostly). As such, much of her life has been a mountain of lies and damaged relationships, and as she tried to repair what she broke through turning those close to her into puppets, she relied on her power to the point where she was more alone than she was before. If you got a little teary-eyed during the episode, do not worry! It means you have feelings.

Through a series of flashbacks, we saw young Nina learn to use her power and understand that it can be just as much of a curse as it is a blessing. Her father was ready to leave the family and his damaged marriage, but Nina wouldn't let him, effectively holding him prisoner against the will he forgot he had. But the toll proved to be too much, and when Nina released him, he killed himself.

Nina held that experience close to her but didn't learn from it, continuing to use her power in her adult life on her childhood friend Tommy. She pried him away from his own family to join her in stealing Ferraris, robbing banks, and hittin' da clubz while she continued to fall closer and closer to rock bottom. It's the Alphas equivalent of a woman with unresolved daddy issues hanging by her ankles from the top of a stripper pole.

And if the stripper (sorry, dancer) metaphor works in that case, what happened later in the episode is the equivalent of injecting heroin into one's eyeballs for one last high. Nina, completely lost and on the run from Dr. Rosen, actually pushed herself (WHOA) into believing that what she was doing was what she needed by staring at her reflection and saying, "You're happy, this is everything you've always wanted." It was an incredibly personal low point to witness for a character who has been so closed off, and, in my mind, completely validated her erratic behavior. Coupled with her suicide attempt, it became Nina's signature moment in the series. It reminded me of the shocking scene in Memento, when Leonard Shelby consciously lies to himself—knowing that he won't remember—to perpetuate the made-up mission that he's crafted to give his life a sense of meaning. Brutal stuff!

Nina was the one character who was getting away from the writers, but "When Push Comes to Shove" not only brought her back into the fold, it gave us the deepest understanding we have of any of the characters on the show (right up there with Rosen, I'd say). This was a turnaround of epic proportions for a character I thought was on her way out.

One reason I thought she was on her way out was last week's seamless inclusion of new character Kat, the polar opposite of Nina (Kat can only live in the moment and her power works by processing things internally; Nina is a product of her past and projects her power externally). Kat's being eased into things by Rosen, who has decided the most important thing is for Kat to dig up some memories. There's a lot of fertile ground to work with here as her backstory can be anything. It's another example of Alphas being extra crafty with its use of superpowers, something similar shows like Heroes could never grasp.

"When Push Comes to Shove" was a necessary episode of Alphas and was executed incredibly well through flashbacks, strong performances, and sharp editing. The series does a great job of juggling small personal stories within a single episode (as it did last week), but this episode showed that it can concentrate its focus on one character with fantastic results. As much as I like watching the team work together to take down a bad guy, I hope we have more episodes like this in the future.

NOTES

– If we were to rank the members of the DCIS in terms of who would be most dangerous if he or she went rogue, I'd put Nina right near the top, alongside Hicks. Who do you think would cause the most problems if they decided to go evil?

– How sweet was Dr. Rosen with Nina at the end of the episode? He can't do anything without gaining trust, and asking Nina for eye contact was the ultimate sign of trust. The guy just wants to help. I also loved the idea to give Kat an iPhone so she can record movies that will help her remember, and Kat's exuberance with the experiment. Not to mention Bill's wise words to her about one great memory being worth all the bad ones.

– Speaking of Rosen, he's THE BEST. But I wonder if he was referring to anything specific when he said he didn't want to overlook something and that his passions have taken over his practice.

– Rachel and John's "thing" might be moving pretty fast, but it's cute and is there anyone out there who doesn't want it to happen?

– Rachel and Nina's kiss... there are no words. High-five to Azita Ghanizada and Laura Mennell for TOTALLY GOING FOR IT. Like TOTALLY going for it. Now that's a push I can get behind. Hubba hubba.

– You think I'd let this article end without a little CANDLEBOX!?!?!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

What, no comment on Gary's "fruit"?
I did really enjoy this episode, but the one thing that bugged the hell out of me: they knew they were going after Nina and that she probably wouldn't come quietly, so why on earth weren't they wearing mirror shades like Clay did back in The Unusual Suspects?
I like the show, but I cannot stand Nina. The most recent episode supposedly "redeemed her character" by giving us some insight into her background, but it only made me like her less. These little glimpse into Nina's childhood showed that she was a budding sociopath even as a little girl. She was cruel, selfish and willing to play mind-games or destroy anyone who tried to keep her from getting her way. Even her friend Tommy saw what she was doing to her dad was wrong, but that didn't make her stop.

In this one episode, Nina twisted her father's mind until he finally committed suicide. She pushed random storeowners for beer and amusement. She compelled her friend to abandon his wife and child. She turned innocent people into thieves and bank-robbers, humiliated her friends, had Cameron shoot another agent, and almost caused a waiter to die because she wanted peppers on her pizza.

I don't think we expect our "heroes" to be perfect. The Alphas are clearly all flawed human beings who are struggling to adapt and find their own way. Nevertheless, they still try to do the right thing, and they try to avoid hurting others. Nina, on the other hand, always seems to be willing to sacrifice everyone else to get her way.

I think Kat is a spy. Speciallyw ith what she did recording everything inside the DCIS office.
I think Gary (likely under the tutelage of someone else, due to his autism), would be by far the worst of all of them. His ability to access and manipulate any electronic signal would be catastrophic in the wrong hands. Nina's is very bad on a personal level, but Gary could access Health records, Bank records, hell, nuclear launch codes. He could literally level countries financially in the wrong hands.

Also, gotta agree, big friggin' ups to the ladies for DAT KISS. I mean they did not hold back whatsoever. Loved the episode without it, but even better with it.
Seriously great episode. I can't think of anything off hand that I would complain about. So yeah, pretty awesome.

-Nina and Hicks right up there as number 1 and 2, you got it. I'd put newly added Kat as number 3. Bill, Gary and Rachel are all very powerful and very effective, but they just don't have the instant mortal danger element that so resides within Nina and Hicks's powers.

-Dr. Rosen is my hero. He is a seriously great character and performed seriously well. SyFy got lucky with him. As for Kat, I LOVE her character.

-Absolutely. I think that's a little more we're going to find out about his past. And it very might well have to do with his daughter, too.

-It is cute, and I do like it for them, but I do want to see it move a little slower. But that's just me.

-Enough said.

-Music is always great.
What a fantastic episode! Keep it up, Season 2!!!!!

I was pretty meh about Nina in Season 1 but my hatred of her was full throttle in the last few episodes. She was out of control, and I caught myself thinking very, very nasty thoughts about her after each episode.

This episode did a fabulous job fleshing out Nina's backstory and I totally found myself falling into the sympathy pit. The flashbacks were integrated so well into the episode...at least much better than some other shows. I even loved how Kat who played a relatively minor role in this episode had her story line woven into Nina's.

I got my wish too! I GOT MY HICKS FIX. He was so sexy when he shot that gun and leaped off the building. Ah, dear me. ;)
Why did I ever watch Heroes ?

Heroes : Alphas = Schumacher's Batman movies : Nolan's Batman movies
I think the big difference is Heroes was about superpowered people while Alphas is about people with superpowers. Also, even though these people have amazing abilities there is always some downside, while it was very rare that any of the character on Heroes had a downside. I think that's what makes Alphas much better.
Ya the real big difference between the two is that Heroes was heavily plot driven, while Alphas is heavily character driven. The characters in heroes literally could have been robots with superpowers, and it would have been mostly the same. Their personalities just did not play into the show much. And the big problem of having a larger than life show that is heavily plot driven is that the plot can get away from you (see: Heroes, or Lost).
I loved the episode, this show is definitely going in a good direction. I don't hate Nina as much as some people but her attitude was grating with her constant whining. Now that we haven't gotten a look into her past I can see why she acts the way she does. I mean when she was a child she pushed her father to the point that he eventually took his own life, that's definitely gonna fuck up your mind, I don't care what anyone says. And I liked the moment at the end between her and Rosen, he just wants her trust and to prove to her that he is looking out for whats best for her, even if she doesn't believe it. She also has has to deal with what she did to both Hicks and Rachel, so it will be interesting to see how she tries to regain their trust again, especially Rachel.

I think when Rosen was with Kat and said he didn't want to overlook anything he was talking about when his daughter was young and he how he was more focused on her powers than being a real father to her. That put a huge strain on their relationship and although they are working on things now, he can't change the effect it had on her. That's why I he tries so hard to be a father figure to Nina, Rachel, and now Kat.
The episode had it's good points, and was definitely important in terms of character development, but I felt it was a little more drab that Tim did, evidently. I wanted more fight club!
So Nina actually pushes herself? Man... Poor thing. Though I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. It could be tempting

So this is what The dark Phoenix storyline would like if it was based in the real world! Well done, showrunners. Well done.
Nope, still don't like Nina. I was enjoying the show much more without her. They certainly need a strong female character on the show/team but why does she have to be a manipulative sociopath?
There may be problems with her character, but her being a manipulative sociopath isn't one of them. The last thing we need is a superhero show full of nothing but do-gooders.
I think that was called Heroes, and failed miserably. :)
This episode was excellent. Nina's been cold and distant the entire season, and it was great to find out why, and specifically how, with her pushing herself to believe she's happy, that was a crazy touch. Seen a lot of shows with telepaths and/or mind pushers but haven't ever seen it used the way it was during this episode.

I really hope this show can survive, Monday night's ratings for this episode were down a couple of demo points and less than 1 million viewers. Hopefully this ticks back up, SyFy really needs to keep this show around. It's one for the ages.
Just one more thing: NO! The kiss wasn't good or epic. Seriously, Nina raped her friend and thought it to be funny. It was disgusting to watch and made the character even less likeable. Aside from the fact that the actors portrayed it really well, I was really taken aback that Nina would do that to her friend although she knows Rachel's sensibilities. I don't like that kind of behavior neither in men nor in women.

I can't see her working with the team again. Neither Rachel nor Hicks could trust her ever again. Nina would be better off on a nice long stay in a mental institution.
Well at the end of the episode when Rachel is talking with John, she says that Nina is not her friend so I think what she did will come back at her. She took advantage of people who were her friends, and now she is going to have to deal with the fallout of the situation.
from the preview of next weeks episode it looks like that kiss is gonna have repercussions, as shoot be.
See, you were seeing two characters kiss. Tim was seeing two hot actresses kiss (willingly).
Ha! thx safibwana
I kind of hope that was resolution for the character and she doesn't rejoin the team because I kind of like when for many of the episodes so far this season, the only superpowers of any of them they really actually rely on are Rachel and Gary's. Like Bill and Hicks seem to just rely on their respective law enforcement and military training to be good partners and I always kind of saw Nina as a crutch.
Did Nina's self-push actually work? I thought it didn't. I viewed that scene as a reference to the fact that at some point, everyone tries to talk themselves into doing something bad, and how it may work in the short-run but never in the long.

Nina's powers are useless on the one person she desperately wants to push -- herself. To me, that makes her turnaround near the end a more poignant victory for her, since she can't control her own failings just by looking into a mirror and saying the "magic words".
It was a fantastic episode. The psychology of Nina I think is captivating and is one of the best of the show as it was shown in this episode. It was near perfect. I even loved Gary's comment about how they had to send her to prison because her office was his man cave. It was pretty funny.

As for the notes;

Actually if I had to take a guess at it I think it would be Gary. And I wouldn't have said that until this episode and the previous episode. Their powers are seeming to be evolving. Nina can not just push someone as the title said, she can now shove. But for the bigger part she, in regards to Tommy, can take a lead pipe and club someone upside the head. So she has gotten a lot stronger than last year. Same with Bill and his realization that his attempt to control his power was limiting him and that succumbing to it has made him better and stronger. So conceivably all of their powers this year could evolve. Rachel's could be heightened to a level of which I don't know. Hick's could be to level where he could flick a piece of metal at something and lead to a collapse of say a building or something even weeks months or years from the time he started it off. Say he could want to kill someone like in the first episode but he could drop a quarter off a bridge and start a chain reaction that leads to a target being dead 3 weeks from that moment. So with Gary, who now can view the signals due to technopathy, what happens if he evolves and can't just view and track signals. But control them, shut down wall street, black out a city, take over a plane, anything really. Mix that with his personal sense of Justice and his anger for them killing Anna and imprisoning him. I could potentially see him being the most dangerous, followed by Nina, Hicks, Bill, Kat and then Rachel.

Yes Rosen was very sweet. He is a very tragic character. As for his dealings with Kat and his ominous warning about past mistakes. My guess is that this isn't the first people that he has worked with. I am willing to bet that there was someone in the beginning that led him to being aware of Alphas that he screwed up with. And potentially made a big bad. Which I think will be great.

My guess is John is going to be the Catalyst to Rachel's powers evolving. So yes it can happen.

That was a pretty epic kiss. And hats off to Azita since that could get her stoned to death in her homeland. That couldn't have been entered into easily and was pretty brave on her part. Plus DAMN!
I really like Alphas. The acting is great, the stories are usually cool and its got neat special effects.

That said, I think this episode was totally bogus. I might have my memory screwed up as I don't have the season 1 eps. with me, but I do remember that Nina discovering her power was supposed to be when she told her fiance/boyfriend/whatever to go kill himself and he did. Now we learn she knew how to do the pushing as a kid? I'm having a Heroes plot-holing deja-vu here. Plus if she knew about all of this from growing up, you'd think she wouldn't inadvertently tell her partner to go kill himself.

Change showrunners every season for all I care. I think the show is great. But can't they keep track of the characters that exist and the stories they are supposed to have?

Ignoring all of that... it was a decent episode. I like that it's a bit dark too, Nina pushing herself was specially good to see. One thing that does bother me a bit is that Gary is less and less behaving like an autistic person for humour's sake... but oh well.
Nina tends to lose control of her emotions which can cause her to inadvertently "push" people. She did it to hicks just 8 months ago. Not everyone is always in control. Weren't you listening?

You're mistaken. Nina was already in control of her ability by the time she was with her bf. Her pushing him was an accident during an argument. There was no retconning of the characters history. Everything is as it was explained from the getgo. They left a lot open for future tales.
Well my brain lead me to believe otherwise. I just can't shake off this feeling of the series rebooting itself since this season started. It's like the character growth from the first season was erased. Guess it's just me being weird.
If possible I dislike Nina even more now. I was so hoping for her to jump and splash and be done with her. Seriously? She has first hand experience what it feels like for a child to be left by a parent and then pushes her former friend to do the same? Talk about reaching bottom and dragging everyone down with you. She was selfish and will stay selfish. A troubled childhood is no excuse for hurting people. These are things you must learn to accept and eventually grow with the painful experience. Suck it up! There are far more worse things that could have happened to her. Cameron, for example, killed someone being under the influence of an Alpha.

I'm disappointed that Nina is still in the game. I was hoping that Kat could take her place. Every other team member might have his weaknesses but isn't such a pain in the ass. As good as this episode was, Nina's come back will ruin the rest of the season for me.
I hated Nina. Now I tolerate her. Hooray for me.

Seriously, this episode really did a good job in making Nina a part of the group again. With the way she'd been acting, she was more than a little annoying and insufferable. Showing us the problems she had as a kid and the fact that she pushes herself to be happy, it made her a very sympathetic character, and one I can stop hoping would die.

As she was up on that roof, though, I really wanted her to (successfully) jump. Not just because her character had been annoying me, but because of the impact it coulda/shoulda had on the group. At the moment I thought it would actually happen, of course, Hicks decides to play superman and save her. I'm fine with the way it played out though.
Nicely done episode. Good timing for character revelation. At last Nina's background was explained till that episode she was like the last loser without good quality back story no wonder it was getting hard to like her. but i 'll choose Nina for Kat without any doubt. She 's more important for the show. Her skill is better and more dangerous. And she's hot. I don't dislike Kat but she's too of a cliche character (bubbly kinda cute little girl with curiousity I bet she might be Stanton Parish's alpha spy) I don't understand people who wants some character to be removed from a show. It is a show and not like Heroes more grounded in reality (in more ways than Heroes more serious) and not every character should be likeable every second of his screen time. Even Gary could be annoying as hell with his antics.

And Alphas know that. It's all in timing and pace. And in this brilliant episode everything was right in its place. Outcome - great story and deeper understanding of one character's behavior.

Excellent job.
I like Nina. I don't think she's horrible, so I don't get the hate. I just wish they would give her more things to do with her abilities on the show. This episode was a perfect example.

And yeah, down with all the Nina Hate!
I very much agree on this.
Finally some sense! I really don't get all the dislike Nina's been getting (it can't all be the dumbest of reasons and the battle cry of the plain-looking - "she has nothing but her good looks going for her"). Actually, of all the alphas, she the one who's most concerned with the well-being of other alphas and genuinely upset when the have to send one of them to Binghamton.

And the bubbly personality does become grating way too fast (in real life - even faster), so I hope they tone Kat down a bit; or just give us small doses of her.

They all have flaws, as well as their annoying moments, but the only one who's truly annoying and on a regular basis is Gary's mum. Drives me up a wall every time she opens her whiny mouth.
In all seriousness, this was a very good episode. Count me as one of the people who was done with Nina, and suddenly she's one of the most intriguing characters on the show. Well timed. Well executed.

I was leery about the new showrunners at the start of the season with all of the characters' emotional reboot, but it seems to have been one step back, two big steps forward. While I don't want to see them (and us) exploring every character one by one this way all season long, used sparingly, it can be a powerful and moving experience. Good stuff!
Just when we think she's out, Nina pushes her way back in. And then makes out with Rachel. A lot. I don't remember the rest. The End.
I know this show get's compared a lot to heroes and X-men, but to me it has it's own place. That said, what I was thinking this episode was. O no this is gonna be Jean grey turning in to the phoenix. It eventually didn't go there (yet), but it made me think what the Alpha's equivalent would be of the phoenix of the X-men?
Oh crap I had the exact same idea. I always said the relationship between Dr. Rosen. And Nina was like Professor X and Jeaan Grey. She was really the closest to him in the group, practically but arguably the most, powerful, and she was one of his first patients (students). then she went evil on the team, rock bottom evil. pretty much the Dark Phoenix storyline wrapped up over one episode. She really needed Hicks (Cyclops) to help her reach that happiness, but instead opted to commit suicide (just like jeans suicide death in x-men)
Bill and Kat. Like that time I kicked your ass. That's not a memory, made up. Head trauma.
I might be an awful person, but I was really disappointed that Cam didn't just let Nina drop right off that building. I've had enough of Nina, rather let her leave and replace her with Kat, who's awesome.
I agree. I mean, I guess my tune has changed a bit with what happened directly after, but at that moment, I really wanted Nina to go through with it and no one be able to grab her in time.
Still don't like Nina, don't like the gratuitous lez pretend routine (HELLO! FAKE! OVERDONE!), no, don't need another soap opera hookup (HIcks and Nina worked out SO well), love Kat, Gary's 'fruits' about had me on the floor.

And had a big ole rush of nostalgia when I heard Trevor's harmonies were in the Yes mix. What's a candlebox?
I thought this was a great episode to provide a background for Nina. So we have this stunning, intelligent woman with an awesome power, but she's miserable because she's as much a victim of her power as everybody else she manipulates. The more she uses her power, the more she needs to use it, and the more powerful she gets. I think this episode has shown why she's important to the group and the show.
Did anybody notice Rachael subtly Checking out a shirtless Gary after his shower? Of course I could be imagining things.
She did check him out, but I thought it was more of an "euw" look rather than a "hubba hubba" look.
I agree that this couldn't have been a better timed episode. I never really liked Nina in season one, I didn't dislike her, but I thought she was one of the weaker characters. Then she turned into a complete bitch during this season but this episode allowed me to actually appreciate her. I never thought they would replace her with Kat, mostly cause I saw a comic-con interview, but also because I think she is important to the show, not to mention her skill is one of the better ones, even if it has terrible side effects.

Also Nina would definitely be more dangerous than Hicks. He may have great aim, but she can get anybody to do anything, so I would never want to run into rogue Nina.
Anybody else notice the Powerful Mondays promo during one of the later commercial breaks? Anna lives!
Loved the episode. Felt sorry for Nina though.
I loved this episode. I was completely surprised by it.
Bill's words were the opposite of wise and the opposite of true. One bad memory has ruined many a life. Or so I hear.
You're statement doesn't contradict Bill's. Both you and he are right. People can have a memory that brings them hope and solace in dark times, and they can also have a memory that brings them bitterness and anger during what should be joyful times. I thought Bill's words were hopeful and optimistic and wise.
I think one memory can be both. It can be simultaneously the best thing you remember and the most crushing/heart wrenching thing you remember all at once.
I think Bill chose his words carefully. Psych practices/wards the world over are filled with patients/victims of the one bad memory that wiped out all else and ruined their lives.
I think Nina might be a little more dangerous. You saw what she did with rosen, hicks, rachel, Tommy... she'd be crazy! Azita and Laura are amazing!! That kiss was fantastic!!
If Nina ever seriously go rogue, she'll get ab anchor's job at a major show on FOX and fix the screen and pretty much makes us her unwilling slaves.Frankly, I do have feelings, but I just don't like her because she is a sublimation of what I have always hated in the type of people who have only physical beauty going for them and manipulate others shamelessly.I don't think I am the only one to feel that way. So I really don't much care if she stays or goes, after all she is a parracide, and that's a really really serious sin.
Except that she didn't actually kill him.
but she is the source that lead to his committing suicide, which everyone acknowledges even if Rosen will absolve her of the guilt.As you well know, guns don't kill people,people kill people.
Dope Episode! Definitely an underrated show that deserves more attention! Next one looks like a good one too!
Solid episode, but I think there are a few inconsistencies with the little we knew about Nina's back story from last season, at least that's I interpreted it. Last season, didn't she say she was only just starting to understand what she could do when she told another ex-boyfriend, "Why don't you just kill yourself?" In last night's episode, it seemed like she had a pretty good sense of what she could do from a pretty early age.

Then again, I guess you could argue she had been riled up and didn't realize she was using her power when she had said that, even though she'd been pushing people for years. Still, seems odd to have played a part in not one but two people's suicides by accident.

I'm pretty sure I just had a conversation with myself.
I agree there are inconsistencies. Obviously to me, the writers didn't know this new background for Nina would be added in the second season. But we can see things this way: maybe Nina lied, omitted, or embellished the truth, as she's known to have done. Maybe when she claimed in the first season that she wasn't sure of what she was doing, she wasn't being entirely honest with the others or herself.
Nina lies. She told everyone on the team a different truth about where she got grew up. Only Rosen knew the truth. It was a rough neighborhood in the bronx
this episode had the perfect flashbacks not too long and well placed overall better episode than last week.
Very good episode. Definitely gave good insight on Nina's character and why she acts like she does. Very well done! Also love the moments between Bill and Kat! LMAO!
PS: What happened to Nina's mother?
This was slightly better than "Alpha Dogs" in that it had the touchstones I thought the previous episode lacked (the guard seemingly taxing the bank employee with the baby, the revelation about Tommy's role in this, Rosen being pushed). I'm pulling for John or Kat to be an agent or descendent of Stanton Parish myself. And even if what he did was out of platonic love, Hicks' move at the end was the biggest "WOW!" moment of the series for me. What if that crane hadn't been well-maintained and the cable was slowed by rust?
Very nice episode again. Especially because it featured more of what i demanded last week. More Kat and Bill. Those two....i tell ya.

I too was pretty sure that Ninas suicide attempt wouldn't just stay an attempt and she would be replaced by Kat.

During the first half of the episode i became convinced that the guy Nina was hanging around with isn't in fact Tommy but rather a guy who resembles him and Nina pushed all her memories of the boy she used to love onto him. Making him believe he is Tommy. And that the real Tommy wasn't around anymore because he was dead. Well, i liked that ending too. Can't quite say if it makes her less horrible or even more so.

Gary would be a menace.
I was gunning for that theory about Tommy as well. Would've been so cool.
Word. Gary could bring down power grids, take over military compounds, and generally rule/end the world as we know it all from the comfort of his bedroom, er, office.
Great episode. Really took my opinion of Nina and spun it around. I didn't know what to expect coming into this episode, but it blew me away. This new direction for the show has been great, and in my opinion is turning a good show into a great one. It's hitting all the right notes at the perfect times.

Have to admit, that left me a bit teary eyed. I love when shows can do that. :)

Another great review Tim!
Yes great episode! I Gary's fruit scene was hilarious and how about the suicide rescue!

candlebox +1!
On a more positive note, I love that Gary refers to his man parts as his 'fruit'!
To be clear, I love how they explained why Nina is the way she is, truly emotional, but she still did my nut in right until the end when she showed her humanity. Here's hoping she continues on that trajectory.

Saying that, I have to confess my shallowness in that the kiss did make her more tolerable for a few minutes...

• 8:00 pm
    Survivor: Kaoh Rong - Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty Now's the Time to Start Scheming
    CBS