Alphas: Retracing Our Steps

Alphas S02E02: "The Quick and the Dead"

It's not uncommon for TV shows to be shepherded into this world by one team but passed on to another for Season 2. That happened to Syfy's Alphas, which swapped Season 1 showrunner Ira Stephen Behr (The 4400, Crash) for Eureka producer Bruce Miller in Season 2, and the change is already showing.

The concept of Alphas—Superpowers! Crimes to solve! Questionable government!—is a pretty fun one, and Miller seems to be enjoying his time with it. But in last night's "The Quick and the Dead," the tone felt like a new kid playing for the first time with the same old toys we spent last year with. The show has regressed slightly as the new creative team takes the reins and reverts Season 2 to pre-finale Season 1. There are differences; some people believe in the existence of Alphas, the government is now on top of Rosen's team, and Roscoe Stanton Parish's face has been slopped onto the mystery evil. But so far, it feels like we're just starting over.

That's not the worst thing in the world as the Season 1 set up (superpowered person causes problems, Alpha team go!, Ryan says something funny) is pretty much ideal for the series, and moving too far beyond that would turn any five-year plan for the show into a one-and-a-half-season plan. So back to the old ways it is.

That's why "The Quick and the Dead" didn't stand out as an exceptional episode (though it was perfectly fine) of Alphas. I'm chalking it up to a slow start and Miller and company getting used to the toys that are new to them but old for us. C. Thomas Howell guest-starred as Eli, a young 'un that was the recipient of experimental testing as a child, the results of which turned him into a human Speedy Gonzalez that rapidly ages (superpowers with accidental bad side effects are always great and tell a better story). Season 2 is all about escapees of Binghamton's Building 7, and you bet your ass the first one out the door was the sprinting Eli, who made it his mission to find help from the scientists or kill those who refused to provide it.

The one wrinkle we would find out later in the episode was that Stanton Parish ran the joint Eli was tested in, opening the door for all of Stanton's old subjects to be purposely crafted Alphas that can help him blow up trains or whatever terrorist activities he has planned. This is good stuff, but it's just the beginning. Any information we can get on Stanton is paramount at the moment as his mystery has just been dangled before us in such small doses that he still doesn't really feel like THE bad guy. Writers, make that guy do something truly horrible so we can all say, "Yep, that guy is a non-aging asshole." Blowing up a train of lumber and coal just isn't enough.

The team continues to heal from its fracture, slowly coming back together after an off-season of being apart. It's kind of cheating (and lazy) to repeat that same basic Season 1 trajectory–skeptical strangers come together to form a team–for everyone in Season 2, but that's what's going on here (this is endemic to a lot of television, btw, not just Alphas). Hey guess what!? They'll all come to respect each other and fight together as a team at some point in the season. It's known that the character arc of taking someone from a bad place to a good place is the foundation of storytelling, but splitting them up in the off-season after making them jell so well by the end of Season 1 is just the show repeating itself. And I appear to be repeating myself, too.

As for the characters themselves, a lot of them came back as jerks, which isn't the way I prefer my DCIS. Ryan, especially in the beginning of the episode, was a lot more irritable and unlikable, Bill suddenly has authority issues with Rosen, and don't get me started on Nina. Someone needs to slap that girl in the face before we spend way too many episodes bringing her back into the fold. Bringing a Van Gogh that she stole into work? It's a good thing she has her looks because that was an idiot move. The discontent on the team (the same discontent that will be gloriously overcome) is a bit too much at the moment, and so much of the joy that made us love the group in Season 1 has been sucked out of it. Aside from the playful rooftop talk about Hicks and Rosen's daughter Danielle, these were people with typical office relationships rather than the tight-knit group they were last year.

Alphas does continue to do some neat things with effects, and the opening sequence of Eli walking at a normal pace while rain slo-mo'd around him was frickin' sweet. And when we were on normal speed, his frantic 2.5x speed pacing and talking was a nice touch.

Two episodes in, the best part of Alphas–the lighthearted tone of the characters and their fun interactions with each other–has yet to stick as the Season 2 writers prefer to place obstacles between the characters so that they can overcome them later. I'm confident that they'll get there eventually, but so far we're looking at an Alphas that is inferior to Season 1.

NOTES

– I loved the "recent" photo of a young-looking Eli, which I'm pretty sure was a still from Howell's old volleyball movie Sideout.

– Who else is not a fan of the Hicks-Danielle romantic storyline? That just seems awfully forced. Danielle is the daughter of Rosen, the associate of Stanton Parish, AND the bed buddy of Hicks? For a relatively new character, they've manager to squeeze her just about everywhere. Also, her scene with Hicks was some passionate on-camera love making. Are we sure these two are just acting?

– Was Bill always able to run THAT fast when he's amped up?

– More on Bill: he said that Rosen went to the public about Alphas without them knowing, but in the Season 1 finale, Bill clearly says something to the effect of "Wow, he's really going through with it" when Rosen began exposing the secret, indicating that Bill DID know about it. That confuses me.

– "Can't get through the day without a little Hicks fix?" Ouch, Hicks. You just disappointed a lot of ladies.

– Obviously we're all thinking someone from Parish's group shot Eli, right?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I was reading this and I was like, da fuq is Ryan? So I checked the character list for this ep, nothing, came back here, crtl+F'd 'Ryan' and found out it was actually GARY he was talking about then I was like ohhhh. But THEN I was like, why you callin' him by his actors' name and no one else? urgh so confusing!

Anyway I have read this a long long time after it was posted so it's not that big of a deal, but yeah, you're usually so good Tim! Anywho, yaay Alphas!
Every time Bill amps up I wonder if this is when he FINALLY has a heart attack. Dude needs to step away from the doughnuts and coffee and get some healthy workout in before he goes where bypass surgery can't save him.

The Hicks-Danielle thing made sense when I thought she was working him as mole. That they just have horny teenager crushes on eat other is just pathetic.

Parish killing his grand-daughter (or whoever that woman was) pretty much makes him d-bag number 1, with Nina running a close second.

Actually, I thought the government goons shot him (pyschopathic homicidal maniac/just the kind Rosen adopts like stray puppies). But that Parish had a hand in it makes more sense. Or we both may be right. I get the impression that Parish's reach is a lot further than the writers have let us in on yet.
While you do make some good points (was bill able to run that fast and nina needs a slap) I don't completely agree with this review. For me this season DOES feel different, our cteam of Aphas are all in different place from season 1 and (for me) it doesn;t feel like a reboot. I think it would feel forced if they all suddenly fell out druing the off season for no reason so i don;t think the chemistry of the team is forced. besides which they don;t all 'gel toghter' Hicks and Nina are in completely different place. Bill has to get used to Ropsen again after getting used to being the one that held the team together. Gary has has to deal with things not being the same as he left them and Hicks is not as full of self loathing as he was last season. whislt I do agree the hicks/Danielle relationship feels a little bit forced I can live with it as it creates an interesting dynamic in the team and is more interesting than if Hicks and Nina just fell back into each others arms like nothing had happened. antoher major diff between season 1 and 2 is that the leader of the governemnt team (I forget his name) has mellowed out a lot and seems to genuinely want to work in harmony with the alpha team rather than just trying to control/dominate it. I tuink season 2 is great so far and I look forward to seeing where they will take it.
I actually like that this season has a darker tone to it. I agree with what Rosen did in season 1, but for things to just go back to the way they were without consequences or some kind of backlash sounds like bullcrap to me. There has to be some kind of fallback from the worldwide confession, and its definitely showing in these first few episodes. Rosen has more leeway, but is still watched over by the freaking gov't. So I'm liking what I see with that.

Nina is definitely out of control and I like it. She's always been on the fence of can you tame her or not, and Rosen definitely has lost his hold on her given the ending, which was quite the eye-opener to me. I love it!

I like the Hicks/Danielle romance. I agree it does seem a little forced, but better her than Nina. Nina's jealousy stemming from the fact that she's not used to getting her way, especially after pushing someone. This jealousy is understandeable to me, but definitely crossed the line.

I've always had the feeling Bill was capable of running that fast. It just wasn't shown in the first season. With all that adrenaline he's able to muster, how could you not see that coming. As far as him knowing what Rosen would do, I seriously doubt that. Maybe Rosen simply brought the idea up, then changed his mind and went through with it without telling anybody.

Oh yeah, Parrish's group definitely took the shot!
You hit the nail on the head regarding Rose's wikileaks moment. I think this may be why Ira Steven Behr left. He wanted a major change to the show, but Syfy, Bruce Miller and perhaps the other producers didn't. They came up with this idea that not everyone would believe what Rosen was saying, but the simple fact that Rosen was showing elected representatives talking about Alphas would make the public realize it's real. It's also true that Bill and the entire group knew exactly what Rosen was going to do; they helped wire him up to take live video footage, for crying out loud.

The problem for the new creative direction of the show (without Behr) was how to pull back from everyone knowing about Alphas. So, they now pretend that what Rosen did was a surprise to them. Poor writing, in that respect.

On the other hand, I'm quite happy that the show's humor and political insight are alive and well.

Frankly, I love Nina now more than ever. I never liked her and Hicks' relationship, which I felt dragged the show down. I like darker Nina. I recall Ira Behr feeling that Nina was intended to be darker, but that he didn't want to write that when he saw Laura Mennell. Maybe Michael Karnow and Zak Penn wanted to bring Nina back to that vision.

Also, Behr's episodes weren't always the best. "Anger Management" was horrible -- as were the non-Behr penned "Never Let Me Go", and "A Short Time In Paradise." Also, "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure" (penned by Ira Behr's assistant Adam Levy) was lackluster. As with his work on "The 4400", he takes a bit of time to really build things. The best episodes were co-written by Penn or Karnow as well as the 2nd episode "Cause and Effect." The others were so-so. That said, you could feel Behr's influence in the approach to political issues and Danielle.

I wish Behr hadn't left, but Robert Hewitt Wolfe (another DS9 alum)'s still there and the show's tone seems not to have changed too much. I'm still excited and I was really worried there, for a bit.

It's better than anything by J.J. Abrams and his empire of commercial, cliche, apolitical writers Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindeloff.
Ira Steven Behr was the showrunner for Alphas? I knew I liked season 1 for a reason, he was showrunner on Star Trek DS9 and wrote a lot of episodes, as well as one of the absolute best TNG episodes.

You are so right about this episode and this season under Miller's hands, it really does feel like a reboot of last season, although not as clever or unique as last season because our characters don't feel like real people anymore. That said, C. Thomas Howell's performance worked really well until we found out that he wasn't a real Alpha but a created one, that was a lousy twist IMO. Red Flag and Stanton Parish have entirely flamed out even as Parish becomes the central focus.

I also loved the opening scene with the world going slo-mo, that was a clever twist on a rather pedestrian speedster gimmick. My only problem with that stuff was when Dr. Rosen claimed he was moving at "ten times normal human speed", yet nobody could see him. We watch as he walks through a slo-mo world, not runs but strolls, so he's going a whopping 30mph if that's the case, not really going to be invisible that way, not even blurred - you ever watch a car drive through a 30mph zone, does it seem especially hard to see?

Good call on Bill's super-speed, way above what we've seen him do before.

I don't think the "he's really going through with it" part necessarily suggests that Bill knew, he could have just known that Rosen wanted to or had considered it, or read the writing on the wall as it was happening. Not seeing why Bill would flip out about it now though, it was a clear response to a significant threat.

The "who shot Eli" element was dropped way too easily, so I think it was just someone on the tactical team and not any significant conspiracy, I hate when shows have villains who are able to know exactly the right times to kill people to tease the heroes with half-answers, if they were so damned capable why did they not just kill him earlier?
You so said it: last season, super power, etc. aside, the team felt like real people you would form dysfunctional work relationships with. Even the bad call of Hicks and Nina letting their hormones get the best of them.

I think the previous writer would have put a more interesting spin and end to it.

This Alphas is tense and a bit like a bad parody of The 4400. I hope the new talent find their voice and teeth and get this thing back on track.

TIM: You misspelled Mr. Behr's name, it's Ira STEVEN Behr, not "stephen".
I kinda like Hicks-Danielle pairing!Nina seems so selfish , even more so now. The drama from the downfall of these pairing is more interesting and plot-full than the Nina pairing. Their alpha powers makes both women manipulators but if Hicks gotta date in the Alpha pool then Danielle is better for him. She is open about her powers and how it might be what has Hicks hooked, while for Nina pushing people into her "pets" (my word!) comes natural.

I can believe early last season i thought Hicks should pair with Rachel!i thought she got him!.

About Bill, i had the same reaction coz season 1 left us with an impression he knew of Rosen's plan.

Another thing, Parish conversation with Rosen vibed on "Us VS Them" kinda of fight, am itching to see more of that, how does their family (individual) feel about Alphas.e.g Bill's wife.

And Tim, i think Gary bring out their knit group together into a friends zone rather than just office workers.His "reading" of Hicks phone was funny...
I love Gary! the best thing about this show.and I'm not as disappointed as you are .

What they're doing with Nina is realistic.You love someone , they dump you because of who you are , well you definetly go nuts!
While I am still enjoying the show, I have to agree with Tim's disappointment in the new showrunners basically rebooting the characters' development back to early season one status. So when they go through the motions of: one of the team acts out in the exact same way they did last season, only Dr. Rosen can be the Alpha-wisperer, team member is better, contributes to solving this week's issues - it's very much a deja vu feeling and also a little forced and rushed. It would have been nice to have moved forward from where we left off last season (or at least have some variation on their issues), instead of regressing to the point of needing Dr. Rosen to once again hold each of them by the hand and tell them it's just like throwing a quarter or how to block out your senses so you can come out of your bedroom or you can't always push people to get what you want or how to treat people with respect or sorry you don't like taking orders. If they thought we needed a refresher, wouldn't it have been simpler to show it in the "Previously on Alphas" montage at the beginning of the season, leaving more time for actual story and character development? Or did they already need filler for an 11 episode season?
One cool thing about this episode were the scenes Eli and Rosen were together. They did a good job keeping Eli at semi-hyperspeed while Rosen was at normal motion in the same shot.
those scenes were funny....cool
And tragic. The dude did a great job of making me sympathize with his misery. Being a lab rat sucks.
I actually liked this episode more than the premiere. Some of your complaints, Tim, are what I'd expect from a casual viewer, not someone who's ostensibly a professional reviewer. You want overarching storylines? Sometimes that means the point of everything (like the point of last week's train derailment) isn't necessarily explained right away. Patience is a virtue. I think the conflict between Bill and Rosen was very understandable, and if I had any complaint about it, it's that it might have been even better if it had come after a few episodes rather than in the second episode, along with Gary's hostility (the source of which we still don't know, although in the season premiere, Gary did say he had been made to spy on his friends, and why was Gary locked up with Binghamton's worst in Building 7?) and Nina's jealous (PTSD-related?) rage. However, I also understand that show doesn't have 22 episodes over which to stretch storylines. I actually was more interested in the subplots involving how the Alphas related to each other and their new co-workers than in the case of the week, which is unusual for me, but Michael Karnow (a co-creator of the show, so not exactly a newbie feeling his way around) even managed to tie Eli's story with the ongoing story of Stanton Parish. Speaking of whom, you didn't think there was anything evil about his killing his last grandchild, not to mention the guards who were killed during the breakout Parish orchestrated? This episode was a hopeful sign of things to come. Two weeks into season 2 and it's advantage Alphas in the battle of shows produced by former Star Trek writers (Alphas' Robert Hewitt Wolff vs Perception's Ken Biller).
Nope. Hicks shot Eli. Or maybe not.
Didn't know there had been a change in leadership, but so far I'm liking this season slightly more. Last night wasn't as good as the season opener, but quite good.
This episode was really good. It might not've been as great as the last episode, but I still enjoyed it. The office dynamic is different from S.1 but that's only to be expected. I think that the best thing Alphas does is portray the interoffice relationships that have drastically shifted since last season.

I don't think there was a person who watched last night's episode who still liked Nina. She seriously is messed up, and I don't want her back. What she did to Rosen and HIcks--and especially the cruel open ended question she asked to the dead guy's wife--was unforgivable.
You don't think it's possible that Nina might be a little stressed out from the Red Flag raid and Rosen (her therapist) being locked away for eight months? Like she said, people like her keep getting killed around Dr. Rosen. I thought it was a powerful way to end the episode, especially coming right after the scene with Stanton Parish and his granddaughter. Put me in mind of the Angel episode that ended with Angel locking Wolfam and Hart's special projects division in a room with the two vampires and then firing his staff in the next scene.
Yes but the way she lashed out can hardly be forgiven under those circumstances, especially since everyone else in the group has undergone that same stress yet they didn't abuse their powers against their friends. I agree that it was a powerful way to end the episode, but it only served to support my opinion that Nina has fallen so far. She needs to do some real soul searching before she comes back to the team and regains their trust.
Because of how her power allows her to get everything she wants Nina is not used to rejection so she's taking this badly... Underneath her femme fatale vibe she seems to me pretty insecure with her penchant for an extravagant lifestyle... Why does she need the most expensive drink in the bar? a Van Gogh? really? get a poster like normal folk lady...
Nina also "pushed" the guy picked up in the season premiere to tell her that she was beautiful, another indication that she may be insecure. I thought the scene where she was apologizing to Hicks for using her power on him and then used it on him to find out who he was seeing was hilarious; she wasn't that quick to push her own teammates last season. So much for another of Tim's pet observations on the season. When she pushed Rosen at the end, I think the term "Alphas Disassembled" crossed my mind.
I thought this was a pretty good episode. I accept the fact that it isn't going to be like last season because of the break up after the season finale. There is a lot of trust lost and a lot of time to make up. For me I think we have to remember that not only are these people super people and Rosen is their leader, but they are also broken and damaged people and Rosen is their psychologist. They have a tenuous relationship and the alphas themselves have issues. We saw that with Hicks last episode with his inability to shoot anything. But he rectified that rather quickly because he is rather stable psychologically (getting some does that to people) the others have not. And while Nina is being kind of a brat, she was probably the most fragile psychologically, within that group that was probably the first time she allowed herself to open up and more to the point allowed herself not to push anyone in that group. It was probably the first time she felt safe and then when the finale happened it al fell apart. So for the first time she allowed herself to be human it all came crashing down. So she is going to have issues, perhaps more than Gary in coming back to the group. Because she is the most damaged of the group, the most self conscious and probably the one with the lowest amount of self esteem. So in that affect, it is pretty realistic. They are all exhibiting their group dynamic fairly realistically. There is no way in real life after all that occurred, they could come back like it was just yesterday. So with that I can accept Nina, and Bill having problems.

However, I do agree that the Hicks and Danielle romance seems forced and it seems tacked on. But I can believe it because she needs to be Stanton's mole in the group and her relationship with Hicks is the only way that seems even kind of natural for her entry into it. It would have felt weird and more to the point, it would have been obvious had she just came into the group as Rosen's daughter whom all of a sudden wants to be a part of the group. That would have been an easy ok she is a double agent plot. Where as with this current plot with Hicks, we can see her being conflicted between her feelings for Hicks and her loyalty to Stanton. So, with saying that I don't really have that big of a problem with it, because any other way to include her would be worse. And it would affect the overall story.

Overall, the episode wasn't the strongest. But they are still spinning a great story, so I can accept it. The only worry that I have is that with this whole "getting the band back together" plot. I have to wonder if the overall story of the season is going to suffer due to the limit of the episodes for the season. I have never had issue with SyFy's or USA's shortened seasons, but if there was one of their shows that would do great in a 23 episode season, this would be the show. The mythology they are writing and the actors are fantastic. I don't think the quality of their shows would suffer in the least.
I consider this a pretty good episode overall, but I've said this about other shows before: I find it hard to enjoy a show or episode when all (or some) of the characters are annoying. That happened here. There were more than a few things I liked about the episode, but I couldn't find myself enthusiastic about it when I found ALL of the characters somehow annoying, unpleasant, or bothersome. Dr. Rosen, Bill, Nina, Hicks, Gary, Danielle, and to a lesser extent, Rachel, were all jerk-asses and I wanted to punch them all in the face. Jerk-asses.
Nina is super jelly (jealous).
I don't see this season as a drop in quality at all. It hasn't improved on last season, but then we've only had a couple of episodes...

I'd prefer to see the return of foxy fun Nina in place of whiny weiner Nina though
I think i watched a different episode. At the end the Team clearly came together and all was good. Dr. Rosen and Bill were ok and the suits would move a floor up so Gary's pudding is save.

I don't think Nina is coming back anytime soon. She just went to far and thats ok with me. How could the Team ever trust her again after what she did. The only way i see Nina coming back is if she would only play discontent to infiltrate Stanton Perish and his rag-tag bunch of homicidal maniacs.

I agree with you on Stanton Perish though. Not that he has to do something horrific, just do something reasonable. It would be nice to find out more about the goals of this organization. Why do they blow up trains full of lumber? What do they have to gain by this? As captain John Sheridan once said "You don't go to war just to honk off your neighbors".

You just made me wonder if Nina is playing so she can infiltrate the Stanton gang...
but we cant know for sure what was in that train, we have to take that government man`s word for it... maybe the train was transporting important chemical stuff to create an antialpha serum (lumber is not transported in those kind of vagons)
Red Flag, Red Cell, anti-4400 drug/antialpha serum, 4400 drug/alpha serum that may make you super, but then again may make you dead...yep.
That opening shot was excellent. Between this show and "Being Human" it makes me wonder at the pretty bad FX on other shows on a Science Fiction channel. Also, I'm hoping, unlike you, Tim, that this tension in the workplace leads to somewhere more than just the routine team gelling/ungelling angle. I'm hoping that somebody gets pushed into joining up with Stanton. I think that would be a great step for the series.

-Sure, whatever.

-Doesn't bother me that much, and I'm hoping that they have another plan for this as well.

-Yes? Let's hope they get more into that, too, with progressing abilities.

-Don't recall, you may be right.

-No comment.

-That's the obvious thought. So let's see where they go with it.
I don't get your complaints Tim. It's like in real life everything is kinda seems normal and jelly then everybody set themselves apart and all is dark and screwed up again. It's not ideal life. I get that it is convenient for a show to start over sort of. But i disagree that we immediately need our team get together as in old times. I like their interactions still. It very interesting even how actors reacts to each other. something was off in this show in characters interactons. And I liked it a lot. It's different from other shows. They acting like real people. So what that Gary was irritated by FBI guy? I like very much his conversation with Hicks when he said - You going to jail You going to jail. It was hillarious. Still great chemistry between our team members. And Nina thing is very realistic and sad. And logical. Of course Danny Rosen sleeping with Hicks a bit too much and too quick but okay it means more storylines and complications.

I'm even starting to think that Nina might go to Stanton Parish after loosing trust in Rosen and turn into slight villain. But temporarily I hope. And Danny could be sided with Dr Rosen team and Hicks. And It might be an interesting plot. Actually I want both of them on our team) Both hot chicks. Blonde and brunette)

And I think it is realistic that nothing actually changed after Rosen public statement. Why people would immediately trust some doctor? It is huge deal. It is not a Wiki Leaks it's more of a big deal. Human with superpowers? I won't believe him. Not that quick.
so so
GARY not RYAN,his name is gary on the show
I say more shows like Alphas and Continuum and less crap.

PS: 'Alphas' has a great intro/theme/etcetc.
covering the notes first i guess.

I don't like the hicks / danielle romantic storyline. i don't remember carrying anything for her character in season one and as someone who's keeping secrets from her lover and her father she's barely likable in my eyes. also a terribly unsexy love scene. and i don't see the chemistry. forced indeed, one something a showrunner of eureka has to know a lot about.

bills running i thought was cool, just being strong hasn't proven to be that great an ability for him in the past so amplified physical prowess in general could be pretty cool. i was happy for him.

i didn't mind bill and rosen butting heads because rosen really has seemed to be on the egotistical or overly self-assured side quite commonly.

yeah i'm having a hard time liking hicks at all since he's been back. which is hard because i felt he was the breakout character of season 1.

i hadn't really noticed anything off with episode 1, except the unexplained hicks nina breakup and animosity. i thought it was a pretty decent comeback. episode 2 was entirely different though.

nina's behavior, like bringing the van goh into work i also though was pretty ridiculous. also i don't remember her being a bitch in season 1. she has too much going for her in my opinion to feel sorry for herself. you know i didn't really care for how heavily nina and hicks relationship was focused on in season 1, now that i think about it, so i guess focusing on their relationship again isn't necessarily something that can be attributed to a new showrunner.

i like how mouthy gary's gotten. he has some great lines. the idea that anyone involved with eureka comes on to the show this early in alphas' life scares me though. that show was a one trick pony if there ever was one. it had it's moments and it's characters but it didn't have a story that differed from episode to episode or a way to handle relationships in differing ways imo.

i'm probably just being critical but after three seasons it felt like we'd already seeen everything the show had to offer but were forced to watch them drag it on. i don't need people acting like the world is ending to know that it is. not on a weekly basis for several months a year. save that for your two hour "originals."

i myself want to see solid relationships and interesting one-off encounters. stanton parrish is actually what i would have liked kagame of continuum to be though,. and for him not being a truly-bad ass i'm actually greatful. though he just mercy-killed(?) his last grandaughter? that's pretty rough.

and lastly the way i understood it was eli was an alpha, who had some semblance of his abilities prior to seeking help at stanton's clinic, where with tweaking and experimentation, eli was crafted into something parrish felt he could more readily use.
I can only see the hicks/Danny storyline ending tragically, there doesn't seem to be much hope for the two of them. If it does end on a positive note I will be appalled.

Actually, I thought this ep was genius... Last week it seemed as if it was all going back to normal and frankly, that was just going to get boring... Instead we have a much darker Alphas with everyone quite out of control and Rosen looks really overwhelmed which makes it all more interesting. I particularly liked how Nina is going rogue... Nina + Hicks was an awful pairing and I much prefer Danielle + Hicks as her working with Stanton adds extra disaster potential...

Definitely Stanton had Eli killed... Stanton was up to no good back in the day...
"Wow, he's really going through with it"

Nah, it still works without Rosen even HINTING he was going to do that.

I've heard it used often in a situation where a person is in a setting, and then you see he's DOING something you didn't expect. Between the setting, and the fact that there's usually a lead-up to the event, and then the tipping point OF the event... the phrase still works.

Public speaking == coming out, video of guy + chick on a bridge == bunjee jumping, drunk friend standing near an alter with a stranger in Las Vegas == married, etc.

It can be used in a surprising event, as it's rare something is instantaneous. There's usually a few seconds before hand where it can go either way... then BAM it happens.

Plus, they probably had to wonder if Rosen was ever going to snap and announce it to the public
I agree with everything you just wrote. Especially about the danielle/Hicks thing. I have to say though that the best line ever might be Gary: "I'll kill you first. I wake up at 7:42" I'm going to say that next time someone tells me they're gonna kill me.
That, and about mid-way through the episode you find out that he's proud that he became the alpha male of the break room. That now the Feds would fear him, or whatever.

But the wake-up line was still the best of the episode, of not the series.
Ryan = Gary.
I concur, Tim. There does seem to a sort of retracing footsteps. But in my belief, it actually "Gells" well with the current themes of the show. Yes, they were a tight-knit group last season (did you really expect it to always remain that way?) In order for there to be dynamic storytelling with conflicting storylines, there has to be...well, conflict. And having the characters struggle with each other in order to find that groove again is a storyline I wouldn't mind seeing. Especially with Nina. I knew she had a rough past, but her selfish behavior could really take us into some special character development. This season is already much darker than its predecessor, but it's given us some greatly entertaining television. They've humanized Mr. Parish in the strangest way, but reveal that he is a murderer underneath it all, having developed a sort of god complex, inevitably so, over the years due to his Alpha ability. I look forward to further developments in his plotline.

The one example we definitely see eye to eye on would be Hick's relationshi with Rosen's daughter Danny. It comes off as a very forced relationship, there was much alluding to it in the season premiere and I wish they hadn't tried to do so much with that relationship so soon. Already we're expected to beleive that they're in love when we have yet to see their chemistry (although in bed, I agree, it's a totally different story. In other words, those two are totally f#cking in real life).
thumbs down for that f-ing in real life comment man. that's distasteful as hell.
Thank you cuss word monitor...? What you call distasteful, I merely call words. I will access whatever language I deem necessary to get my point across. Get on with your life.