AMC Just Broke the Mold by Scheduling Hell on Wheels Season 3... on Saturdays

There's always been one universally accepted and unwritten rule of television scheduling that's not in the Network Executiving for Dummies book: Don't schedule new primetime programming on Saturday. Just don't! Saturday is the day when Americans go out and spend all night being Americans and celebrating the freedom of the weekend, according to conventional wisdom. No one is even home to watch television, so just air infomercials and aging sketch shows (and Rules of Engagement).

But conventional wisdom doesn't set trends, conventional wisdom isn't a maverick, and conventional wisdom can suck it, says AMC. The basic cable network announced today that it's moving its Western drama Hell on Wheels to Saturdays for the show's third season, which premieres Saturday, August 3. Though banishment to Saturday is usually seen as a death sentence, this is is in no way a demotion for Hell on Wheels. According to AMC, the idea is to make Hells on Wheels the capper on the network's longstanding tradition of airing Western movies on Saturdays.

"A new episode of Hell on Wheels on Saturday night after a full day of Western fan favorites is going to be like the saddle on top of the horse," AMC president Charlie Collier said in the network's official statement. Oh sure, but what's going to be the cowboy, Mr. Collier?

AMC's move could be about more than just keeping a consistent theme, however. Television's exponential growth in the last five years has meant a more crowded schedule from Sunday to Friday. Sunday night, where AMC normally programs its scripted originals, is a murderer's row of quality television, and there isn't a different day of the work week that's particularly inviting for new shows. Logically, branching out to Saturdays makes sense with the economy keeping people inside more often on the weekends, DVRs time-shifting shows on viewers' schedules, and viewers' growing preference of online streaming. And Hell on Wheels, one of AMC's lower-profile scripted dramas, is the perfect show to experiment with.

why i cannot find season 3 episode 1 to torrent..?which season they show in america?
No, they did not broke the mold, the just plain and simple killed the show. I do watch on Saturdays but most people not so it is time so say goodbye to Hell on Wheels, forget about season 4.

You are absolutely right, maybe it's just me you guys, but I recall the show being cancelled, and obviously somewhere they changed their minds. But here's the thing, up until a few days ago I HADN'T seen ANY ADVERTISEMENTS anywhere that the show was not only NOT canceled, but about to start up again.
I should add, the way they ended the second season finale made it seem like they were expecting cancellation so they wrapped up as much of the story lines as they could, including the deaths of certain characters. And we can't say that the producers are probably hitting themselves cuz AMC has become erratic over the past couple years.
Look at what they did on The Walking Dead, Frank Darabont the man who was responsible for the show in the first place, was fired for wanting to make the show more cinematic, which basically meant a littl more money that AMC wanted to use on their precious overrated Mad Men toys and clothing line. Than the second showrunner was fired for unknown reasons. So it makes sense that the HOW producers were given the impression they were canceled and did the best they could.
However, maybe it seems that since they were given a third season, there was no reason to advertise it AT ALL. The only way I even found out it was coming back was going on tv.com to look up something about Breaking Bad, and low and behold there was a small ad saying season 3 and its date. And now just to add insult to injury they are putting it on Saturdays and have the nerve to say that it's them being daring and "Unconventional"
I remember another fantastic show that became tv history, but not in the good way because this network decided to be "Daring and Uncoventional" For starters they didn't air the show when it was originally scheduled, and when the show finally aired it wasn't the pilot. Then they aired the rest of the episodes that were made but weeks would go by inbetween most of them, oh but they did air the pilot eventually, months into the season and was the last episode to be aired. Yup if most of you haven't figured it out, the show that could have, should have been a many seasons classic was Firefly, and the docuhebag network was FOX. AMC has sent Hell on Wheels to die, now sure I am happy as fuck that there is another season of this awesome show with time enough to plan their ending. It's the way they are treating their own show like shit, and call it doing them a favor that pisses me off
More +
Yes to TV on Saturdays! If you're saying "I wanna go out on the weekend" now, I can only say "that's what DVRs are for. At least that'll give me something to do on Sundays whilst curing my hangover! Besides Doctor Who of course.
I love "Hell On Wheels" and I'm so happy it's coming back. Great great show! I could care less when it is on because I record everything on my DVR, preferably in the middle of the night and watch it whenever I get time. Don't most people do that nowadays? The cable networks re-air things multiple times throughout the week so I fail to see what the big deal is about when it "premieres"?
I like the idea. I'm glad they brought this show back... plus it gives me something I actually enjoy watching to tide me over until Sunday fun day!
Can't wait for more Hell on Wheels! I wish a few more shows would switch to Saturdays, my DVR has nothing to do except record SNL.
Oh damn, now I will only have 20 shows to watch Sunday nights. :)
I hope the experiment works because I watch Hell On Wheels and don't want to see it cancelled because of soft ratings.
I don't care when they schedule shows. My PVR takes good care of me.
For me Saturday is not a TV night, the only Sat show I watch is Doctor Who and that thanks to the DVR. Anyway, since I am a Dish Network client I missed the entire second season so if they do not repeat it I will not watch the third season.
BBC America's "Orphan Black" is one of the best new programs to premier this year and its doing so on "Supernatural Saturdays" with the new Doctor episodes. This is a great show that I'm anxious to see continue so I'd follow it it anywhere despite the fact that they killed off Lily.
I havent been out on Saturdays in a while... turns out people grow up and you actually find other fun things to do on the weekeds besides flocking the bars and dress up nicely, so I'm vey hapy to see there is something nice on TV that night... this is good news to me :D
I haven't watched a show when it was on in years. I watch when I want, so it matters not to me which night it is on. I'll watch it the next day or the day after that, when I have time. Hopefully, the networks are learning that airdate/time no longer really matters
Pfffft, I rarely watch shows as they're aired. Sundays/Mondays are overly-filled, so I'm relieved to spread more to a slow day. Not everyone thinks it's fun to go to bars every Saturday.
This makes me skeptical. It's almost as if they're trying to burn off the show. The truth is there is plenty of room on Sundays for this show. It would be smarter to keep it on Sundays and (if they had no other room) schedule the show at 8/7c or 11/10c. They must be planning on following Breaking Bad with another show (Low Winter Sun?). Even if so, I'd prefer they'd try to air three shows on Sunday night (which to me would be great) than destroy the show on Saturday (which I think is what will happen).
I'm more interested in how they plan to make a story line when all the interesting characters are dead. Season 2 was a good place to end it and since the executives at AMC have put it on Saturday night it seems like they agree.

I have no idea how this show got a 3rd season after losing its showrunner and half the cast at the end of season 2.
They only killed off the characters and made the finale play out cuz the ratings were low and they were told that they were most likely to be canceled so they had to rush that ending, and also why the showrunner left. So it's not the producers/writers fault that it's being put on Saturdays, it's AMC. But up until 2 minutes ago I thought the show was officially canceled, so knowing that it's coming back probably for just one more season I will GLADLY take despite the things they lost. This way they will have time to introduce new characters and need be write a proper ending
They could air this show Tuesday mornings at 10 am and I would still watch it. This is the power of DVR. I actually like it more because now I don't have to finagle all of my shows around so I can DRV shows on network TV and then DVR the replays of cable shows.
The poll humors me because people are saying they don't want TV on Saturday's because they catch up on DVR... so what's the problem with taping a show with your DVR on a Saturday? Speaking of which, I wonder how many people have DVR's these days and if it is even an issue what time shows air anymore.
To me, the question isn't so much whether to watch HoW on Saturdays as it is whether to continue watching it all. It was only so-so to begin with and given the decimation of so much of the main cast at the end of S2, I'm not sure I care at all anymore.
Does it really matter? Cable networks still air the episode several times during the week, right? So if you miss it on Saturday, you can watch it later. And if they care about the ratings for an episode, can't they just add up the ratings for all the airings? To me the ratings for a cable show is pretty much just a status thing, a number that you can show off if it's high. But as I said, since the episode airs many times and people can therefore decide to watch it later, then why the fuss about the rating for the first airing? Or is there something I haven't understood?
Doctor who is on Saturday and it's ratings are good aren't they?
As I discovered last week, no they are not, at least for that night. It was a surprising less than a million overall viewers, but second in that 18-49 demo. SyFy's BATTLEDOGS movie did better. This only accounts for its original airing and not the repeated encores, so there could be more viewers unofficially accounted for.
If nothing else, it should ensure that they're not competing with any other TV show. I will actually find it interesting to see how this turns out.

I'm not really excited about the return of the show though. I think the show is OK, but the story isn't compelling enough. I think they also went too far when they killed off you-know-who.
Doesn't matter--I'll watch it online later that night or the next day. Hell on Wheels is a fantastic show!
Saturday night has always been considered the most amazing primetime slot in Europe. Great shows and high profile shows are on Saturday night (Doctor Who for instance, has always been on Saturday nights)
I don't think we European go out any less than American people on Saturday nights so I'm pretty sure it can work.
(Esp. if other channel decide to follow.)
One of my most anticipated tv nights of the week at the moment is Saturday so I can catch Orphan Black. I'd watch Hell On Wheels if it was on at 3 a.m. Its a wonderful show with a a great cast and is absolutely beautiful in its cinematography
Oh I haven't heard about Orphan Black before. I'll be sure to check it out. :)
Will watch the show whatever time it is on. God Bless DVRs.
I don't watch Hell on Wheels, but I don't think it's a terrible move. I guess the numbers will tell the "true" story, though.
Doesn't matter to me either way. Good for AMC for trying it out though.
Love love love this show.
I love the show & have a DVR, so whatever night they choose to air it is irrelevant to me.
It's not unusual to have big shows on in the UK on a Saturday although they are usually what we class at "light entertainment" it could work
More shows on Saturday would be awesome instead of having six good shows all on one night airing simultaneous. Spread the shows out throughout the week so we have something to watch all week... Doctor Who does just fine on Saturdays...
I barely watch any shows when they actually air, so it doesn't matter to me what day or time they're on. They're on my DVR whenever I want them.
I wouldn't say there's always been a rule to not schedule new programming on Saturdays. In fact, that's a more recent rule, within the last decade or so. Some classic shows were on Saturdays- All In the Family, M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Gunsmoke, etc. It wasn't until VCRs and now DVRs that it became more common to avoid scheduling new airings on Saturdays, with the assumption that people would be out on the town rather than at home. Frankly, given the economy and that a lot of people I know have cut down on going out on the weekends- opting instead to hang out at home or at friends' homes watching movie or TV- I welcome the additional original programming that's NOT a reality show. It gives me one more thing to watch when I've cleared out the DVR and no one can agree on a Netflix movie to watch.
That's all fine and dandy, AMC, but when does Breaking Bad return?
It should be in July, but you never know. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they announce that they will only air four episode this year so that they will have something good to air next year.