American Horror Story: Revelations Done Right

Surprises don't actually have to be surprising in order to surprise. (That made sense right? No?) To put it another way: We may know with certainty that someone's throwing us a surprise party, but the fun part is seeing just how they pull it off, when and where it'll happen, and the volume at which everyone jumps out and screams at us. Those are the surprises that count; even if we knew what to expect, we didn't know how to expect it. This week's American Horror Story contained a twist that many of us had seen coming, yet it still felt surprising and even a little shocking. Other basic cable dramas, take note: THIS is how an "I'm dead" twist is done.

Because, ladies and gentlemen, Violet did not survive her suicide attempt from a few weeks back. We'd suspected this was the case when all her subsequent scenes were restricted to the house, but especially when Ben found out she hadn't gone to school in two weeks. That thread continued in "Smoldering Children" when an LAUSD truancy officer showed up at the door and threatened to take Violet to juvenile court. Now, I realize this show operates on dream logic, but this still begs the question: How did Ben (and Vivien) fail to notice Violet wasn't leaving the house? Ben works from home. Vivien is a housewife. Anyway, if they didn't notice that, it stands to reason that they also wouldn't notice the flies seeping up through the floorboards or the presumably awful smell.

In a scene that brought to mind John Goodman's exterminator character from Arachnophobia, a blustering, comical man in a hazmat suit made the unfortunate choice of investigating the crawlspace of the Murder House with a tiny flashlight. Again, we knew he would find something horrifying down there, but his genuinely terrified screams and his subsequent murder (via bug spray) by Tate all made the scene truly scary and piqued our curiosity about what exactly he saw.

Which, as we eventually discovered, was this:

The actual reveal came later in the episode, after Tate decided Violet needed to learn the truth about her condition. The sequence played out brilliantly, which began with Tate attempting to convince Violet to "commit suicide" with him, causing her to flee from the house only to mysteriously re-enter it like she'd stepped into some kind of M.C. Escher drawing. In order to assuage her confusion and terror, Tate led her under the house and showed her her own corpse. That's when he revealed that though he'd tried to prevent her suicide attempt two weeks earlier, he'd been too late. (His attempt to get her to "commit suicide" was intended to help her adjust to the idea of being dead.) Again, while Violet's fate wasn't necessarily a surprise, its implications packed a huge emotional punch, both for her and for us. Putting aside the fact that Ben and Vivien had been living in a house with the rotting corpse of their daughter beneath the floorboards, now we're looking at a story in which our protagonists' daughter has died. What kind of emotional impact will this have? Will the Harmons ever escape from this house? Will they ever be happy again? And shouldn't we be disturbed by the fact that Violet is now destined to spend eternity as the girlfriend of a known psychopath who raped her mother?

It's definitely a matchup that Ben won't approve of, now that he knows Tate is the Rubber Man. Because in a truly bizarre move, Tate decided to attack Ben in retribution for looking into boarding schools for Violet. After a fairly brutal towel-clad tusslin', Ben de-masked the Rubber Man (who by then he knew had raped his wife), and now that he's discovered it was Tate will probably not be as interested in continuing their therapy sessions. Poor Ben!

In last week's writeup I opined that Ben was the villain of the season, but this episode caused me to backtrack on that idea when Ben more or less came to his senses, visited Vivien, informed her of the twins' dual paternity, admitted he believed her story, apologized profusely, and attempted to bring her home. In a tart exchange during which Vivien sort of accepted Ben's apology while remaining furious at him, Vivien finally regained her credibility in Ben's (and our) eyes. It definitely helped that she just straight-up refused to entertain the possibility of returning to the Murder House, which was made all the more hilarious by the idea that Ben would even consider that in the first place. I mean, what would it take for Ben to realize that house is not a great place to be? Was he that against sleeping in cars or, you know, visiting family?

Although the confirmation of Violet's death was the most notable event of the episode, the episode mostly belonged to Constance, who'd suddenly fallen under police scrutiny after the discovery of Travis's bisected corpse. Termed "Boy Dahlia" by the press, he had indeed gotten his fame, but the fame only lit a fire under the LAPD to finger a killer, and Constance was their number-one target. The most amusing scene from this thread came when investigators pointed out all of the various murders and disappearances she'd been surrounded by for the past several decades. These included being the mother of a mass murderer; the smothering/"natural causes" death of a deformed son; the hit-and-run death of her daughter; the "disappearances" of her husband and maid; and not to mention the time three of her neighbors had burnt to death next door.

The latter incident proved important for Larry, whose storyline was more or less concluded this week. First we learned the original nature of his burns: The morning of his school shooting, Tate had first swung by Larry's office with a can of gasoline and a book of matches. Ugh, Mondays! Later in the episode, when Larry returned to the Murder House basement to recover some of Travis's things (or, actually, evidence), he ran into the ghosts of his dead children and wife, still glowing like burnt embers from that fateful night when she'd exacted her revenge on him. In a disturbing yet poignant scene, he seemed pretty floored to see them all, and his wife mentioned that they had finally appeared to him because he was now "ready" to see them. When he said he was sorry for having cheated with Constance, his wife awesomely responded, "prove it." And when he suggested that he'd frame Constance for Travis's murder, she instead pointed out that he'd been the only one to wrong her, and that Constance hadn't "broken any vows." Larry took this as his cue to confess to Travis's murder, and in a great final scene, he pleaded with Constance through jailhouse plexiglass to admit she loved him. For a second it looked like she would, but then she silently hung up the phone and walked off. Yikes! Oh well, bye, Larry. Enjoy your life sentence in an Illinois (?) prison!

Not gonna lie to you, this was one of American Horror Story's finest hours. A great, pulpy, terrifying and enlightening episode that left us with as many questions as it answered. You know a show is good when your primary concern is just how it'll keep this up for future seasons, but that's a surprise for another day.

QUESTIONS:

... Larry's original backstory: Intentional misdirection or just straight-up ret-conning?

... Did Constance keep six dogs and a meat grinder in the basement for the purpose of disposing of corpses, or was this just a happy coincidence?

... Is Constance's casual racism hilarious or offensive?

... How bad does the Murder House smell at this point?

I was shouting at the tv. Violet is sooo annoying. I didnt even care if she is dead or not. I just cant understand why she keeps on hanging out with Tate. Look yes she is in love BUT she KNOWS that he is a ghost. She knows he killed heaps of people. And she still wants to spoon him? Her mam went to a mental hospital cause she lied and then tate is like: i will take care of your dad and she is totally ok with it? She did so many bad things over the last few episodes- no matter if she is a ghost or not. And when she found out about tate i was so excited. But since then NoTHING happened. sooo anoying
So, one minute Violet is running for her life. The next, she's in the basement crawlspace with the guy she was just running from. This is why you suck!

Constance on the other hand...you're awesome!
I think Constance's casual racism....her blurting out things about "the Colored Section" ...are HILARIOUS!!! and the Detectives restrained reaction was priceless as well!!!

Hrm, so I have a question: If Violet can't leave the house because she's a ghost, then why can Moira leave the house and visit her dying (now dead) mother? Both Violet and Moira are dead.
It was Halloween, the only day when all of the ghosts are free to leave the House. That is also why Hayden disappeared from the security car at dawn the next day.
i didnt see it coming...mainly cause i didnt really pay attention that much to the daughter. too much other awesome stuff going. AHS is my new favorite show since LOST.
I, for one, had absolutely no clue she was dead. That was a huge shock for me.

Also, Tate did not attack ben because of the boarding schools. He said that he did it to give them a couple hours. He needed time to convince Violet to kill herself and if Ben was awake he would have stopped her!

Now, I've never been chloroformed before, but I'm wondering if there might be some memory loss. Ben did just realize it was tate right before he got knocked out.
Definitely one of the best episodes of the season! Sad that Violet is a ghost but the reveal was just excellent!!!
Ben sure knows how to tightly wrap himself with a towel... I'm amazed...
I had suspected Violet was dead but wasn't as sure as gellar in Dexter. But we all were looking for ways to make them stay in a haunted house. They have it now, the only place they can see/talk to Violet will be in the House so they will stay. Or Die.
For me, it was 100% surprise that Violet was already dead. On the other hand, I was 99% sure that Gellar was dead at Dexter.

This is between one of my favorites episodes of this show. Really loved it.
Let me start this by saying that I am not angry at those who are making the big reveal about Dexter in this string. I don't think anyone here did it on purpose. I would just ask that people be more careful about reveals. I saw the header a few weeks ago about Dexter and decided not to go into that article because I am only on season 3 of Dexter and didn't want to ruin the current season for myself. :)

Thanks..Shawn.
Dexter: Prof. Gellar dead ---> super obvious !

Here: Did NOT HAVE A CLUE and I'm glad I didn't read the comments before, in which you guys obviously already hinted at this ... so, no spoiler for me!

Also, Tate was heartbreakingly sweet... but is it only me, or does that somehow not make up for the fact that he planted the antichrist in mama Harmon's belly?
It's funny that many people now knew about Violet and last week about Gellar in Dexter... all of a sudden everybody is a PI or so clever to find that our... especially in this show in which nothing makes sense (in a good way).
The idea was in the air when someone mentioned it as an explanation for Violet's skipping school two or three eps ago. However I think that when the idea was submitted, the (successful) suicide attempt did not happen. But still, the idea was out.

As far as I'm concerned, I was aware of this hypothesis. So, as soon as we heard about the blue flies at the beginning of this episode, I was convinced that a body was the cause (thank you CSI) and that it would be Violet's mainly because we learned about those fourteen days of absence at school.

So it's not that funny that that much people seems to knew about it.

That's exactly the same that happened for Dexter.
So I'm just wondering

A) what exactly is the reference to Dexter referring to?

B) How come Violet kept going round in circles in the house just before she found out she was dead but she was able to get into the car with her mom when her mom wanted to flee the house just before getting put into the mental hospital?
I'm not sure if the timeline is respected here. I must watch again the episode where the Harmon girls were fleeing the house. Was it before or after her suicide?

Nonetheless, I don't understand why Violet couldn't leave the house.Tate was able to do it (during halloween). Hayden as well (when the officer took her to PD).

So, I would like the writers to explain the reasons why she is a permanent prisoner of the house.
There is a specific line where Constance says 'Yes, we know that ghosts can roam free on Halloween'. The whole episode was about what they do and where they go! Why do so many people not get this?? Have you been asleep?
I think it has something to do with her emotional state at the moment messing with how she interacts with the house OR tate is using some ghost powers to keep her there. When asked why she is running around the house like a crazy person, tate replies "I have to show you something and then you're free to go wherever you want. I promise I won't stop you."
All ghosts can wander freely on Halloween. Remember the scene at the end of Halloween 2 when all the ghosts are trudging back to the house?

Its because their confined there on every other day of the year.
Which Halloween 2? Original or Rob Zombie trash? If original I will have to watch it again.
The reference to Dexter is because in a recent episode of that show, a character was revealed to have been dead all along in a similar way.
I don't know about the Dexter thing... but Violet was trying to get off the property (thru the front gate) and she can't. Her Mom's car was still on the property so she could get in it.
I love this show , it's amazing.

I love the allusion to dexter in your review ... ( "THIS is how an "I'm dead" twist is done ")

Great Series. Cudos.
Man... I didn't know or even suspect that AT ALL. And I'm normally really good at predicting story lines, but this one caught me off guard.
One issue I had (great pep though) was Cobstance said that she'd hope Ben would give Tate therapy to help him 'learn' that he was dead etc. but apparently he already knew!? Although the fact they can't remember ther actual deaths explains why Tate didn't remember the school kids even when violet wasn't there!!
Awesome ep again. The good thing with this show is as it is quite original in his nature, it's quite unpredictable. Of course, we all have our doubts about Violet but it was well done and the first scenes were quite obvious as every clue were pointing to that conclusion. I think that's why the reveal was so effective in spite of the fact that we all knew : we were supposed to know. I hope I'm clear enough.

Ben's being clueless (to the smell and all) about what's happening in his house is a recurring plaint. I'm not really annoyed by that as the horror genre makes it believable. Maybe they will justify it by saying that the house has some kind of an hypnotic effect (after all, the house was able to make Ben sleepwalk).

I was quite pleased by the return of the real scarry stuff. Most of the season was more a psychological thriller. But those burnt ghosts were really disturbing.

I was surprised by the fact that Burnt Face Man's story got a closer look. It's interesting to see that after seeing all of the backstory of the house, there still are some surprises. Especially when it involves intertwined stories of different ghosts.

The racist lines from Constance were shocking but fit the character. I mean, remember how she talked to Maddy in the earlier eps ? It was as shocking and violent. After all, she's the only one who survived the house so far. She may have mitigating circumstances then -__-

I really can't guess where the story is heading besides the babies being delivered.
Okay, so I know that I wanted Violet to be dead but i had goosebumps in the scenes leading up to Tate showing her her own dead body. I am flip-flopping back and forth between loving Tate's character and being absolutely disgusted by him. He gases the exterminator and I am horrified, but then playing cards with Violet he smiles and shows off those dimples and I am a puddle of mush... Ohhh I love this show! I definately missed Moira in this episode but can't wait til next week!
It bothers me that the burnt ghost acts all scorned. Your husband had an affair - yes but you murdered your children. absolutely makes sense...
This was a perfectly awesome episode! This really felt like a cult pulp classic, and Jessica Lange is a bright Star! I liked Larry's back story, and it was intentional I think. I'm not sure about Constance and the dogs. Her casual racism fits her character perfectly, though some may find it offensive, she delivers an authentic performance. The house must smell pretty bad at this point, but maybe Moira keeps up with it.
Staff
AHS went from ok to very good in 60 minutes. Everything about this episode was so well pieced. Who ever the head writer was for this episode needs to be promoted to show runner immediately.
I had no idea! None, whatsoever, until the last few moments. I figured something was rotten, but since when has that house ever -not- had anything rotting in it, really? And in a house that big, the one person living there may not have spent -that- much time in the livingroom. Anyway, Ok, I should have known.

Question 1: They are some sneaky b*****ds, so I'm not sure.

Question 2: That would be fantastic, wouldn't it? So many ghosts to be, or to be discovered still, in that case!

Question 3: Hilarious, because of the way she's portrayed in general.

Question 4: After that many bodies "taken care of" I'm imagining there's a great deal of bleach and perfume involved.

But, Yay!, now they have an actually good reason for them to stay in the Murder House, 'cause Violet can't leave, and what parents would leave their daughter alone in that place!?

This must have been the first time you read one of Price's reviews of the show because it's been discussed for weeks.

PPl stop wondering and complaining about Ben not detecting the smell.

By this point you should be able to accept that Ben is TOTALLY clueless and oblivious to everything and anything that goes on.

That's how they've been able to stay in the house to the point of having a dead daughter.

I mean, after seeing a young sexy thing transform into a glass-eyed old lady in front of your eyes and still remain in the house without suspicious of funny.... I mean!

The show will be over when he finally gets a clue.
Everyone knew - and still it was a shocker !

Mister P. is right , this is how its done, DEXTER !

I would never have thought that American Horror Story and Revenge become my most beloved shows of all the new ones this season - but they are highly addictive ...

BTW : crowded house - do they really have an exterminator now and forever too ?
I love this episode. It was lovely the way that Tate tried to protected Violet, not telling her that she was dead and all. I mean, I know he's a mass murdered but, in the end they are both screw up kids. But I'm not sure if Violet is cool in spending the eternity with Tate.

If they change the house every season, it wouldn't have that much sense. The viewers invested emotionally in this house and in this family. Ryan Murphy is creative, I'm sure that he can come up with new stories about that house.
Violet knew he is dead ad a killer and she did so much stupid stuff.thats whats she deserves. Have fun with your crazy psycho boyfriend
Exatly what I was thinking. As for Violet, how is she going to get away from Tate when she finds out he is her brother's father. Ew.
Yeah, and the map of the house on the website shows lots more stories of that house that we have not seen at all yet....
I thought this episode was great. I had suspected that Violet was dead from the moment she swallowed those pills, but with this show you just never know. I love how they revealed her body. So creepy and well done. I've never been a fan of Tate and now I am thoroughly sick of him. He grossed me out even before we realized he was dead. I don't understand why females find him "hot" or "sexy" (these are terms I'm seeing to describe Tate and it boggles my mind). To answer a couple of your questions:

1)There have been apparent continuity issues on this show and I think Larry's story almost became another, but they saved it in time. I think he might have originally been telling the truth to Ben about setting the house on fire but they decided later on that it would be much more shocking to have him be involved with Constance and have his own wife set the fire.

2)I think Constance deliberately kept the dogs for the purposes of eating people. I remember in the pilot she told Vivien that she had a doggy day care or something. It was pretty puzzling that she would even say that at the time but it makes sense now. :-)
Ryan Murphy stated in an interview that next season will be an all new house with all new ghosts. So this will be the end of the Harmons, It's kind of nice to know anything can happen now...
Really? Where did he say that? Would love to read that interview.
I thought it was the same house, new family....
Staff
I recall he'd mentioned that before way before the series started, but I can't seem to find that interview anymore. There's a chance they've changed their minds based on how well the show's been doing. And not to sound all L.A., but I recently met an FX executive at a social event and I asked point-blank what the season 2 plan would be and she just smiled silently. They're definitely keeping it a secret now!
Well, it can't be the end of all the Harmons, can it? Unless somehow Violet can move on?
I don't understand how some ghosts are able to leave the house and others are not. Moira left to go visit her mother. Tate went to the beach that night, Hayden got into the security guy's car. If they are able to leave the house, then why does Violet being a ghost force the family to stay in the house?
the two eps your are talking about were set over halloween night . So the dead could walk the earth.

hope that helps
I believe all that was during the Halloween episode, the one night of the year they are free to walk the earth.
I was so happy to see the direction this show is taking. We can now assume that the Harmons will not want to leave their daughter, so they will stay in the house. A clue in the preview for next week has me thinking that Violet will somehow find a way to initiate a cleansing of the house of its ghosts by getting them to see they are dead, or helping them come to terms with their deaths. She will be the catalyst for this, while the Anti-christ baby will be the crux of the horrors of next season. Another plot they could explore in the future is how the house came to be the way it is.
Staff
Violet's gonna need a firehouse to cleanse all those ghosts outta there. Personally I'm hoping for a visit from the Ghostbusters.
Constance's lawyer was called Harry Goodman. Is he Saul's brother?
Staff
Knowing how much the writers' love references to other things, I think we HAVE to assume the similarity is intentional right?
Small point, the show is set in California, which is known for rampant prison over-crowding. I'm guessing that is why the burnt man is getting sent to Illinois, that and to write him out.
Staff
Good call.
I thought about how would this show sustain itself if successful for future seasons because majority of rational people with good sense would notice something is wrong with this house and would move out. I like the idea of each season a new family is cast and brought in to discover the horror of the house. However, we as viewers may get bored with retelling of info we saw in this season which may be necessary with new house occupants. I think another way to keep the show going with the Harmons still in the house would be to have them learn that Violet is a ghost and they decide to stay in the house to be close to her. Then, find a way to have them lure people into the house for the ghost to kill.
I think that it is exactly what is going to happen. The Harmons will learn how to live with the ghosts and accept to stay in the house (because of Violet).
I agree somewhat. However the next season it has to be a different family. Otherwise it loses its "horror story" (though the only horror is the writing). You can't have Ben and Vivien in the house with Violet as their ghost daughter because then everything changes and it just becomes even dumber than it is right now. In fact it has to be a different family and a different house. There can be no new family and Constance next door doing exactly what she did this year. Because again that would be just as dumb. The only change would be it would then be repetitive and dumb.

So new house, new story for the house, new family (hopefully more likable) and maybe they can save the show. But anything that includes the same characters and/or the same tired story with the house is going to be worse than it already is.
I'm confused, you dislike this show? Why? You lost me.
I dislike the show because it isn't done well. There is asking your audience to suspend disbelief and there is asking them to shove their heads up your arse. It isn't very believable and when I say that I don't just mean the absurdity of ghosts. I mean these are educated intelligent people that as soon as they entered this house their brains were sucked right out of them. Case in point and actually the point that did it for me to dislike the show. The hiring of Moira.

Ben is a Psychiatrist we can presume his intellectual level based upon that. He just cheated on his wife with a hot redheaded coed. Vivien hates this, she hates Ben because of this. Where in his testosterone addled brain would he think that after that his wife would simply hire a hot redheaded maid. With absolutely no discussion about it. Then there is nothing in the story is original or plot for that matter, they just take things that worked in movies that did it a lot better and well dumbed it down. There is the huge gaping plot holes. There is the convenient answers because they have to have some type of answer so they pull one out of their arse. The wooden acting of McDermott. The inconsistencies about the house that you would think would give them pause. But alas does not. That would just be a start to the complaints about the show. I have a pretty sound description of the episod below if you want to look at that.

I like the horror genre. I like when it is done well. I like it sometimes when it isn't and it is just campy fun. This isn't done well and they are pretending that it is. That just bothers me. If there was anything else on at 10pm in my area I would be watching it. For me something like Bedlam on BBC america did it well. It was procedural to a point, but the frights, the acting and the writing were done well. This just isn't
More +
Staff
Agreed. Even if it's a new family, the backstory has already been revealed. Revealing the backstory has been the most thrilling part of this season.
But there is more to come, I think. However, what about the twins? I don't think Vivien can die, even if Ben does, at least not until the baby is born, and then they have to raise the little devil... (chortle)
That's what I think too. There are tons of back stories!!
Don't know about Constances' motives, but that's why I have a meat grinder in my basement.
What about the dogs? Do you make your husband take care of them?
No, the husband wass their food....Well, I guess you could say that's taking care of them!
Staff
LOL
My bets are on the whole Harmon family dieing in the house by the end of the season and a new family to be tortured moving in for next season. Hopefully with a more likeable family...
I don't care if the new family is likeable or not, in fact in would be more fun to watch all the ghosts screw with the new family if you don't like them.

This is the direction the show should go.
In response to your comment about how this show will continue for seasons to come, I hope that "this" story is wrapped up in the season finale and a new "American horror story" begins in the second season. I think it'd be interesting if each season was a different 12-episode horror story. Now, I realize that probably won't be what happens, but seriously... How can this story continue past twelve episodes? It's winding down and we've pretty much learned everything about the Murder House...
Well, I wouldn't say we have learned everything yet. In fact, I would think it would get better and better learning about all of the ghost's backstories especially when new families come to the home and everything. However, if ghosts can't leave the house, what do you do when the actor's contract is up and they don't renew it?
The advantage this show has is that if a cast member dies in the house they don't have to leave the show. Ben could quite easily die this season to return next season as a ghost wondering why people are moving into his house.
Not sure I agree with it. But then agains I really don't like the show so. As for the reveal. I am not sure that is a good way to reveal a death that was basically already suspected. And I am not sure Tate was being truthful, that is not the body of someone that died crying in a bathtub. That is the contorted body of someone that died a violent death. That glaring mistake aside here are some other things that happened or well didn't happen.

You are hiding your new dead girlfriends body and you A. Keep it in the house to attract flies. And the attention of those investigating the flies. B Don't feel any remorse in it to do anything like say I don't know cover the freaking body. C. How is it that none of the other ghosts, Hayden to be specific, told her that she was dead. Or even more to the point told Ben. That seems like something she would do, and since she is the rebel ghost of the house you would think there would have been something. Other than that, glad to see Violet dead she really turned into an unredeemable character. Now if they can just kill off Constance.

And now with the exit of Larry, who is going to be the go to disposer of bodies. And Tate burned him, cool. So now he is an arsonist shotgun toting psycho. Constance is so proud. And how did he get from the office to the school. Did no one notice that he set a man on fire in the office. Why didn't they stop him, were they scared of his 90's alternative outfit.

If anything this show is an affront to the LAPD who in this reality are basically morons that can't do anything. Can't catch a punk kid just after he burned a man on his way to a school massacre. Can't get him before he got home and hung out listening to Cobain for a few hours. Can't arrest Constance who has been linked to how many deaths at this point. Don't think it is odd that she drags her dead daughter to the neighbors house instead of her own. You would think these things would peak their interest a little. Search the backyard? It didn't take larry long to dig up Moira. But nope. Oh and Tate wasn't possessed by the house on his little rampage, he was just a petulant little twat with mommy issues and is just an overall psycho. Awesome.

And Ben, Ah Ben, you hardly knew you. I say this knowing that he isn't dead. But really hoping for it anyway. You can't beat down a little punk ghost kid in a rubber outfit? How sad for you. And you finally realize that it was Tate, you know Tate that keeps around your daughter, keeps popping into your house despite your pricey alarm system. etc. And you do what? in the previews you stick around the house and bring your wife back. . Oh and did you not notice that the exterminator went missing, the flies are still in the house and the truck is still out in front of your house since there is no one left to cover anything up. Man you are a genius. Gosh I hope you die in the finale.

Lame episode, yet again. This premise could have bee so good. But to answer the questions.

Larry; they needed a man that knew what was going on in the house but was on that side in order to dispose of bodies etc. and he had to be burned. He was basically a chump.

Constance; runs a doggie hotel?. Because you know you can totally live in LA on what you make from doing that. Because I doubt she had any money from her husband since he "disappeared" rather than was deceased. Despite the fact that he never touched his money apparently or the LAPD yet again drops the ball by not investigating financials. Oh and her racism is just racism. Plain and stupid racism. I did however want the Black detective to slap the hell out of her or at least cuff her and ram her head into the car while putting her in it.

The murder house can't smell because it is magic. The flies are only there for a plot device. If she is in a barely accessible part of the house that you have to crawl around and not just in the basement I doubt the flies would be in the living room.
I hope the ghost gang is happy by the addition of a pest controller to their ranks. I hope this ex-terminator "will be back".
Where did his body go I wonder? We didn't see it whne he brought Violet down there did we?
Staff
Haha oh, you.
Why would Tate be mad at Ben for looking into boarding schools for Violet when he know that Violet can never leave the house any way???
Maybe it's because Tate's afraid that Ben will find out that Violet is dead like Summerqueen said. If he finds Violet's body her spirit could be set free (it's the same reason Tate killed the exterminator guy). Moira wanted her body to be found so that she wouldn't be trapped in the house.
I'm curious too. It may simply be that he doesn't want Violet disturbed by her own death, like he claims, but we never know how sincere Tate really is, being psycho and all. One idea that comes to mind is that if Ben tries to take Violet from the house, he'll realize she's dead and keep Vivien from coming back, should she decide to do so. Another idea is that Violet may be able to ignore him better if she knows she's dead, like refusing to appear. And Tate wouldn't appreciate that.
Larry was always unreliable. I think to be ret-conning, technically, we have to admit we thought he was trustworthy? Nope. Unreliable narrator.

Constance operates a kennel out of her house (though I liked the idea of hellhound in the basement, it's probably something she's been doing for a while...).

It's sort of stereotypical to make the southern woman a racist, but melodrama depends on stereotype, so I'm going with campy false-note (neither funny nor offensive).

If you've ever had something die under your house, you know how bad it gets. It doesn't matter that there's only one body. It's been there for over two weeks. It's likely very bad by the time flies start multiplying (~14 days).
I had a MOUSE die in my basement in an old house, and I could smell that and it smelled terrible, so, I am assuming a human bosy would be a much stronger smell.
You got that right! Just a tiny mouse smells so sickening, I cannot even imagine what a human body would smell like....:shudder:
I have a question: Why is Moira so intent in someone finding her body to "move on"? It seems to me that whatever happens to the bodies has no effect on the souls because even if the body leaves the house (like Travis), the souls are trapped.
I think their body must be properly buried in order for them to move on, but its the only factor.

Thus, Tate never moved on, and the maid cannot.
Moira might want someone to find her body just to get justice or maybe revenge on Constance. We know that's the only reason she hasn't been charged. But we have to assume all the Murder House Tour victims were decently buried and not on the property. It's definitely something Moira specific. I'm guessing she wants justice, like how ghosts traditionally aren't at peace without justice being done.
Staff
Right, I think it was just to get Constance in trouble. The house retains ghosts on its own.
It's like some sort of soulcatcher. It would be interesting to find out why. I hope it's not a politically charged answer (because of the abortions that occurred there--one soul trapped for every soul that wasn't born, for example). The problem is that we know who built the house--and their souls are caught there too--so unless it's the land / location and NOT the actual house, the why of it all may not be very satisfying.
Satin uses this house out of all the houses in the world for no reason? I'd be pissed if they actually thought that explanation would satisfy us, you know, since it doesn't answer the why question either....
I think it will have something to do with Satin using the house to get the Anti-Christ there. Just a thought.
Just a note: Constance had stated she owned a kennel in the first episode! Ergo the dogs :)
Staff
Wow, good call! I totally forgot that.
I want to believe this show has a plan. I really do, but the plot is waaay too whack! anyway who cares, like you said, I just want to see how long they can keep it up for!

At this point I wouldn't be sruprised - maybe they were ghost dogs?

Absolutely hilarious! Especially when she dropped the knife and he threw her comment back in her face!

to be fair. I think Violet's body is the only one still in the house. the maid is buried outside and the others have been 'disposed' of.

LOVED your comments about Mondays. :-D

Evan is doing a brilliant job - it's amazing how he can make such a messed psycho STILL appear sympathetic!
Definitely my fav ep so far! And for some reason, I still love Tate- even if he is a psycho lol
Staff
He CAN be charming in the right circumstance, I guess. But the psycho stuff really cancels that out for me.