American Horror Story's Season 2 Finale: The Lana Winters Story

American Horror Story S02E13: “Madness Ends”

Howdy, folks! Once again, American Horror Story’s magical mystery gore has come to a heartwarming-in-a-psychotic-way end. Price can’t be here right now because he’s off being awesome, so I’ll be your substitute tour guide.

Since we didn’t have a recap last week, here’s a quick rehash of what we missed: Kit, Alma, and Grace shacked up in polyamorous bliss with their cute little alien babies until Grace started waxing nostalgic for the good old days of hanging out in that goo pool and Alma hacked her up with an ax. It’s funny cuz Grace is an ax murderer. Kit took it rather well, but Alma totes got sent to Briarcliff anyway. Over at Briarcliff, the Monsignor decided to let Jude out of her chimney cage, and renamed her Betty. She was pretty cray by that point, but he got a promotion to Cardinal anyway. And somewhere far, far away from those people, Lana wrote her book and argued with hallucinations of Thredson and Wendy about how she glossed over her lesbian status and made up a bunch of serial killer stuff to make her her memoir more interesting and marketable. Yes, her memoir about being wrongly locked up in a mental hospital run by a demon nun and the Nazi doctor who loved her and kept pet mutants in the woods. That memoir. Not interesting enough. Granted, she didn’t know about the demons, but still.

So, present day, Lana made the leap from print to TV to out-and-proud journalism legend with an expose about the terrible conditions at Briarcliff following the state's takeover of the facility in 1965. It was all very Geraldo-Rivera-on-Willowbrook-State-School. Actually, Lana’s commentary about the smell was almost word-for-word from Rivera’s 1972 report. NICE.

Fresh off of stealing that nice old lady’s autographed copy of mommy’s bestseller, Bloodyface Jr. murdered his way onto the film crew that invaded Lana’s swanky abode and got himself some front row seats to her sudden change of heart about building her career on being a lying sellout. Bloody Jr. always kind of resented the fact that Mommy Dearest claimed he had died in the book. She apologized for that and even came clean about it during her interview, but he decided to proceed with blowing her brains out. It’s important to finish the tasks that you start!

Given that she recognized him from the very beginning, though, I can’t help but wonder how sincere Lana actually was about everything. Yeah, in the '70s she tracked down her spawn and saved him from bullies, but all that crap at the end about being a part of Junior and thinking about him every day, IDK, he had a gun pointed in her face and just wanted somebody to love him. Lana’s a smart lady. She knew which strings to pull to get him to put the gun down... which she then used to blow his face off. Lana, you cold.

Who knows, maybe Lana meant every word she said to Bloodyface Jr., slayer of Adam Levine and his horny-over-the-darndest-things ladyfriend. At first watch, Lana’s friendly reminder that babies need more than the spermies of a homicidal maniac to develop—and, therefore, that Junior was not 100 percent pure Thredson DNA—could have easily been read as Lana’s attempt to remind her son that there was just as much good as inside him as there was evil. SO PUT THE GUN DOWN, SWEETIE. But given Lana’s post-Briarcliff personality overhaul and the closing encounter with Jude’s cryptic warning that, “If you look in the face of evil, evil’s gonna look right back,” maybe Lana was always darker, less heroic than we gave her credit for.

Lana provided the connection between past and present that we needed in order to wrap up the last of the dangling storylines and compared to last season’s finale, “Madness Ends” was certainly more succinct in closing this chapter of American Horror Story. Last season ended on a very Twilight Zone-esque note with the Harmon family gathered around a Christmas tree, the first time we’d seen them happy and content, despite the fact that they were all dead. Constance had run off with Tate’s nanny-eating monster baby while Tate himself still pined for Violet, locked in the Murder House forever. There was the sense that the story wasn’t really over, the threat not neutralized.

Asylum gave us a more definitive ending, which is appropriate given that the storytelling all season long was tighter and more focused than it was in AHS’s inaugural season. It was still unsettling and screwy in the way the show conditions us to expect, but the threat ended up dead. Frankly, EVERYONE ended up dead, except Lana, who's alone with the decisions she’s made over the past forty-plus years. Sure, Kit’s alien babies are still running around, but as a doctor and a lawyer, they’re apparently doing the “contributing members of society” thing as opposed to the “enslaving humanity from within” thing. Not bad for the progeny of an ax murderer and... an ax murderer. Wow, Kit clearly has a type.

But uh, yeah, the alien babies story ultimately worked out for the best (I so didn’t see that coming) even though the rugrats seemed to adhere to the Grace philosophy of the aliens being awesome, benevolent masters of the sky. It was implied that the kiddos had their alien overlords fix Jude’s crazy after Kit signed her out of Briarcliff during his forgiveness tour and when the aliens took a dying-slowly-and-painfully-of-cancer Kit to Heaven in their spaceship, it was considered a good thing. Wasn’t there a cult about going to Heaven with the Third Kind?

Everyone got a happy ending, except for the sooooper-evil people. Jude got to be genuinely happy with bonus sobriety for the last few months of her life AND she got to kiss the pretty death geisha. Kit remarried and managed to avoid ending up with an ax murderer this time (YOU GO, BOO). Plus, even though he ended up depriving us of his pretty face and glorious '70s hair too soon, his kids seemed to imply that he'd departed for quite a par-tay upstairs. The Monsignor-turned-Cardinal offed himself because GUILT. Then there’s our Lana. Since Lana was only kind of evil, her ending was only kind of happy. She got everything she ever wanted, sure, but sometimes I got the feeling she was mildly regretful of what she had to do to get there. Only mildly, though. Bono drew a picture of her on a napkin, after all. You gotta frame that shit. Old Lana is so awesome. <3 her.

So what did you think? Was it a satisfying send-off? Or was it too tame? My only complaint, which isn’t even really a complaint so much as an observation, is that the tone of the finale, at times, was so blatantly different from the rest of the season that it felt a little tacked-on. Rather than show us everyone’s fate, the writer literally sat Lana down on a sofa and had her verbally diarrhea all over the place. I’ll live, though. It was still an awesome, amazing season. I even ended up liking the alien storyline and I was SO not down with aliens when this all started back in October. High five, AHS. MISS U. COME BACK SOON.

NOTES & QUESTIONS

– Bloody Face Jr. bought the blackmail tape on eBay? What the eff, Lana. I mean, really. How do you just lose track of something like that?

– So is Lana evil? Or is this season just a cautionary tale about the perils of unchecked ambition?

– What’s the fate of our dear Pepper? (I like to think the aliens took her to space heaven with Kit in the Millennium Falcon.)

– Kit’s babies: alien sleeper agents?

– Did anyone else laugh when they realized that Lana = Geraldo?

Oct 13, 2015
Late to the party - Lana was evil in a way which, even BloodyFace drew a line where he couldn't kill his own kid but Lana, even after meeting her own flesh and blood on the playground, still couldn't muster up love for him, perhaps continued to watch as he was bullied. Think the ending insinuated Lana purposely & arranged with Jude to be admitted.

It was too much all over the place for me and should have stuck to serial killers as only theme. I would have been happy with crosscutting between Bloodyface Jr's life and Briarcliff, not knowing if it was Bloodyface Jr's, a copycat or Bloodyface's life until Lana became pregnant. And don't think that should have been revealed until BF Jr went to buy her book at the bookstore.

They also revealed too soon that Grace was guilty. They should have played off both Grace's and Kit's delusions, leaving us to wonder if one, both or neither killed their loved ones. They should have kept Alma dead, later to be revealed she was victim to a serial killer. Grace perhaps being readmitted because her deeds haunt her so much, it made her an unfit parent. Ingredients were there but pace was off.
Apr 29, 2014
As happens from time to time with me, I love the story but hate how we got here.

Everything about the ending was perfect...but it was predicated on this stupid alien arc that as far as I'm concerned was a complete waste. Best as I can tell, it only influenced two things. 1. It made Kit question whether he was crazy/guilty. 2. Tipped Dr Nazi over the edge. Both of those things could have been done without these stupid aliens, but...

Kit saving Judy and (alien kid magic aside) adopting her into his family to where his kids call her nana...AWESOME! Lana shooting Bloody Face Jr in his bloody face...also awesome!

Must like season 1, there were a bunch of various things I took exception to, but there was far more good than bad.
Feb 12, 2013
Oh goodness, I was so relieved they kept Tate. This season was definitely better than season 1, but they both had a couple similarities. When I first saw the ending I was like "oh god Lana's a badass" and the flashback made me think either it was showing us it never really happened, just what would happen if she continued pursuing the asylum, or maybe it was that Sister Jude was warning her of evil. I was betting on the warning, and this article reassured me. I've been told by my boyfriend from one of his friends the ending of this season was "a mindfuck" and he's pretty right. I wasn't expecting Lana to do that at all. Poop, I didn't expect Lana to shoot Bloodyface (Buddy Holly look-alike?) in the first place. I expected this season to keep running until everything went to hell and nothing went better. It startled me a little when I realized in the last couple of episodes they were clearing the season up so quickly, but they still did a fine job of it. Oh and Buddy Holly again, Bloodyface, there's someone in my class, (yes, I am in highschool) who looks like a younger version of him, he's a little nerdy, has greased up hair like both of them, with the framed glasses and jawline. Even the first day of the semester me and my friend both agreed he looked like him, I'll never be able to look at him again without seeing a serial killer. I told him one day "You look exactly like a serial killer on AHS" he gave me an odd look and shrugged it off. I'm pretty sure I scare him, durr. Anyways the point of this is basically because I finished the season before my boyfriend and I had no one to talk to about this. I only know a couple people who watch this and I dont talk to them often, hell my mom watched both seasons until the "Unholy Night" episode. She threatened me to take away my tv if I watched AHS, and we have a connected tv service, so I just watched it online. I wish I could talk to her about it, I want to get her to finish it. I think after that one episode it was where the season started patching up wholes and connections. Oh and this is how I talk to my boyfriend when I go on rambles about things, beware future men or women searching girlfriends, this is what you will receive in conversations, a long verbal paragraphs about various things that don't relate to each other moving all over the place and jumping from topic to topic with a lost point.
Jan 29, 2013
Great season! Loved it! Much better than season 1. That one ended up all over the place and I'm so glad this season ended as well as it did. :D I'm looking forward to season 3!!
Jan 27, 2013
Fantastic season! I can't believe that I enjoyed this season even more than the last. Especially considering how lame it seemed at the beginning. How can you pull off a show that contains a demon possessed nun, Nazi doctor, aliens, a serial killer whose son follows in his footsteps? Any other show would be unable to even pull off two or three of those storylines but AHS continues to amaze with its ability to stay a high quality thrill ride. Just can't get enough of AHS. Can't wait til next year.
Jan 27, 2013
This is a better season I'm glad that Sarah Paulson was in the lead with Jessica Lange, they are very strong screen presence. My favorite of this season is the Name Game production number, I love it. My only complain is the plot of Adam/whoever that girl is... not very good. I love Adam and maybe this is too intense acting for him and it only got worse with the girl he's with but after a few minutes after opening credits we get to watch Jessica,Sarah and Evan Peter, that's creepy but awesome acting.
Jan 27, 2013
I don;t care what anyone says - In my personal opinion this show is freakin' GENIUS!!!
What other shows can (again in my own personal opinion) sSUCCESSFULLY pull off Nazis, mutants, demons, aliens, the angel of death, serial killers, lunatics AND a musical number as well as have heartwarming emotional moments??
That scene when Evan is dancing with Jessica - especially when you bear in mind a) how their characters' relationship has developed over the course of the season, and b) their previous characters' relationship in the first season was brilliant. and Lana? wow I thought demon Sister Eunice was fantastic but Lana is stone-cold out and out awesome!!! I've been a fan of Sarah Paulson ever since American Gothic and I am sooo glad she is getting decent roles and a chance to shine. Roll on season 3!!! Though I'm rather worried as I don't see how they can top this!!
Jan 26, 2013
Great ep, while being tamer than the other eps this season it rounded things up nicely, love the interaction between the three main characters, they are fantastic.
Jan 26, 2013
I WANT PRICE BACK, HE'S REVIEWS WERE MUCH MORE FUNNIER! Even the questions at the end of the review were silly, not funny, and without any sense, please Price, just get back for one last REVIEW!!!!!!! :'(
Jan 26, 2013
Well a little anticlimactic but a fitting end i suppose.

When you title a show with horror I usually expect more than AHS delivered. However it does make up for it with good drama. When I first heard the subtitle for the second season: ASYLUM I got my hopes up really high because the name alone gives you a free pass to go crazy on the horror. However this wasn't the case and though i liked season 2 as a whole I was a little disappointed by the lack of horror. Especially by wasting time with the whole alien thing. Not much horror about that. Not that they didn't try, but they just didn't make me feel it. Chopping off body limbs or shooting someone in the head just isn't that horrific for some reason. But then. In the very last episode I saw exactly what I wished the show should have showed all through the season. When Lana did the Geraldo expose at Briarcliff we got to see some REAL asylum horror. Wow. Now that's horror. When you actually feel horrified within the core of your body you know they've got it right. But alas, the season is over. Better luck next season. They've got the drama down. Now show us some REAL horror!
Jan 25, 2013
Love it...can't say anything else...Lana played this episode a fantastic role...and i loved that Jude was saved....!!! Nice season...can't wait for the next one...!!
Jan 25, 2013
One more thing... Kit's kids became Lawyer (Judge of some sorts?) and a Neurologist? I could be wrong, but isn't these two of the most powerful position to start taking over the world? Brain implants anyone? lol
Jan 25, 2013
Kit's son became a Harvard Law professor. I don't think a neurologist and a professor has that much power, but they should have gone with your idea. Those kids as alien sleeper agents would have been a genius part for the writers.
Jan 25, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. While it is rather mild compared with most of the previous episodes, I do like that they wrapped up most of the storylines. To be honest, most of the seasons had been extremely depressing with so many bad evil people in the show, so it is refreshing to see everyone being happy for a change.

I don't think Lana was evil, I guess what Jude meant was that Lana managed to think like evil and how to handle them as she certainly stared at evil for a very long time (Thredson, Arden etc.)

Love that they wrapped up Jude's storyline so beautifully and the children were calling her "Nana" and Jessica Lange really did a wonderful job in the entire season. Can't wait to see her again in the next season.
Jan 25, 2013
She killed her son stone cold
Jan 25, 2013
I wouldn't call it a complaint necessarily, but my only regret for this season as compared to season 1 is that I don't think there were any characters fully aware of the entire story. In season 1, by the end, all the main characters knew pretty much the whole story, just as the audience did. In season 2, Lana knew about BloodyFace and the Monsignor, but not the demon and the aliens (and I think not Arden either, not sure). Kit knew about the aliens and BloodyFace, but not the demon. Jude and the Monsignor knew about the demon, but not the aliens. So on and so on, etc., etc. You can pick pretty much any of the characters, and they all only wound up with pieces of the entire story we were given. In effect, they all had a great story, but nobody was aware of the entire story they were a part of. In a tiny, Doesn't-Really-Matter kind of way, it seems it might have been more satisfying to me had a few of the characters known the entire scoop.

Also: The Monsignor.......worst judge of character of all time? Failed to recognize a demon as he put her in charge of the asylum. Failed to recognize psycho Santa just wanted out to kill again and had no real interest in being baptized. Seemed to initially fail to realize just how big of a monster Arden was. Couldn't even size up the Death Angel when he thought she was going to kiss him on the cross, but instead she told him he still had work to do.

In all.....great season. Very different from season 1, but both great in their own ways.

1. I think Lana was probably too blinded by her success to keep track of little things like Murder Tapes.
2. Nah, she's not evil. She just turned into a prima donna when she found a little success, but I think she always was one. In the beginning, she was basically the same person, just without the clout to back up her "Bring me my water, menial person" attitude. Asylum Lana was the outlier in her life. She only seemed like less of a prima donna because her life was constantly being threatened.
3. I think Pepper died in the Asylum, they said. Hopefully the Aliens took her to Alien Nirvana where she can nanny for more alien babies.
4. Possibly, but I prefer to think of them as just super-smart do-gooders whom the aliens meant to help mankind.
5. Not too familiar with Geraldo's work. Didn't realize it was a play on one of his interviews.
Jan 25, 2013
This season was full on AWESOME! I loved the way it ended, especially sister Jude's line to Lana "Just Remember If You Look In The Face Of Evil, Evils Gonna Look Right Back At You". EPIC!! The only thing that didn't work out for me was the stupid alien story line. The writers could have done away with it.
Jan 25, 2013
I'm really surprised that they ended on a positive and kinda victorious note. I know it can be seen as a cop out, but I loved it. I like how Lana,Kit and Jude had relatively good farewells. I was really expecting a horror ending in which everyone dies and the killer lives. I was just so happy for the those characters. I did not like the retrospect though. Full circle endings just doesn't seem as interesting as they used to be.
Jan 25, 2013
Ya'll don't get it! Lana is Bloody face. Thats where that saying comes from when sister Jude told her about the staring in the face of evil because Lana is really evil and thats why her offspring was like "I'm like you". Seriously she admitted she lied and was obsessed with making a name for herself and her girlfriend happens to fall victim to Bloody Face. I don't know about the alien stuff but Lana is the most evil person on this season. Think about it.
Jan 25, 2013
Naaaaah... Not clicking. Lana's alright compared to most of the cast.
Jan 25, 2013
I don't think Lana is even a little bit evil. She was the hero of the story.
Jan 25, 2013
I liked it, symbolism goes a long way with me.
Jan 25, 2013
The way it ended made me think Lana made the whole story up, I'm a little confused. She walked out of briarcliff, but wasn't she admitted? Am I missing something?
Jan 25, 2013
Yes, she came back in the middle of the night and was attacked. They found her and Sister Jude went to Wendy to ask her to sign the papers to air her.
Jan 25, 2013
What? She was unwillingly imprisoned into Briarcliff by Sister Jude, and was able to escape with the help of mother superior who Jude had told that Lana didnt.belong there
Jan 25, 2013
Your missing her sneaking back in to get the story. She was then admitted after Sister Jude worked the system and threatened Lana's GF teaching job.
Jan 25, 2013
There seems to be a sentiment in the comments that perhaps people were expecting a resolution to the aliens story line - I never felt that this was something that needed to be resolved - and I think that I would have been unhappy if they offered up an explanation beyond what they already had.
Jan 25, 2013
Totally agree. The aliens remained enigmatic--as they should have. Some things just work better that way. As clearly defined as all the other monsters/murderers were, I think too much exposition on the aliens would've muddied up the story line. Early on in the season I was leary of bringing aliens into the mix when it seemed the show already had an abundance of Weird. AHS totally made it work by not focusing too much on the aliens. They played their part in an off-screen kind of way, and I think it panned out beautifully.
Jan 25, 2013
That was some wierd camera work with the final convo between Jude and Lana. However, I believe it was just a warning and should be taken as that. In the end, I don't think Lana was evil, just ambitious. She had to make hard choices and live thru terrible things, so killing her son was very within the bounds of a person who has lived a tough life.

I have to say i'm suprised at the relatively 'good' ending to Kit, Lana, and Jude's stories. After the first season, I was expecting the alien babies to face down Bloody Face jr, or most of the characters being murdered. All in all, while disappointed in the 'alien story line', which didn't really go anywhere, I liked the season and season finale.
Jan 25, 2013
The ending felt very rushed and sprung too much at once. It reminded me of those shows that get warning they're being cancelled and then cram everything in the last remaining episode to try and give it a proper ending.
Jan 25, 2013
This is nothing but pure unadulterated conjecture, but what if the holes left in the alien storyline of the 60's get more explanation in the present day within the new storyline of season 3?
Jan 25, 2013
Well acording to Ryan Murphy no seasons will connect storylines, each season is basically a 13 hour horror flick
Jan 25, 2013
Yep. That's what I love about the series. It was only a shot in the dark, but a subtle passing conversational nod here or there in the new season mentioning aspects of unrelated past seasons would be pretty cool & send us fans into a geekgasmic frenzy full of win without actually connecting the storylines.

Like, (& just roll with me here) let's say for example that Mr & Mrs John Doe in season 3 are on a honeymoon or something & they flip on the TV in their room...on the TV is some ridiculous Ghost Hunter type of show that happens to be centered around the history of the Murder House. We catch a few seconds of program narration about it before they roll their eyes, change the channel & get back to honeymooning.

Personally, I don't really care about plot holes remaining unfilled, but I would love some sort of subtle noddage in that vein...Murder House, Briarcliff, aliens or whatever. I'm a pretty easy geek to please.
Jan 25, 2013
"...but what if the holes left in the alien storyline of the 60's get more explanation in the present day within the new storyline of season 3"

I LIKE that possibility~great thought/suggestion
Jan 24, 2013
They did it again.. didn´t explain anything.. I mean..fucked up story with aliens and don´t explain a purpose even a little? But it was still good episode and season.. they know how to create atmosphere, dialogues, scenes..how to get attention, they have amazing actors. But story and narrative quite sucks. I still miss first season as hell.
Jan 24, 2013
the ending was kind of boring, i still dont get the point of having aliens in this season. They didnt really wrap up the alien thing and the demon was a little much. This season was the best but it was all over the place with demons and aliens. wat was the point of the aliens inpregnating and having kit have kids???? Good season hopefully season 3 isnt has over the place with the love theme
Jan 24, 2013
I think Lana and the Monsignor were two sides of a coin. Both were highly ambitious and single minded in pursuit of it. Only in the end, Kit's influence helped Lana become a better person. Oh, she was still very much career and self motivated, but she took care of him when he was ill, and was apparently a loving godmother to his children. In the end she was left with a big beautiful apartment and a woman she loved, but a lot of regrets about what she she have done. Kit was the hero of the show to me because he was always kind, always looking out for the people in his life. It was fitting that in the end, he was the one who rescued Jude and gave her what were probably the happiest times of her life. She never had children, but she was Nana to two special, beautiful, loving children, who only wanted to be with her. Her life, which was so full of pain (given and gotten), ended on a happy high note.

Someone asked what became of Pepper. In last week's episode the director of the asylum revealed Pepper had died a year or so previously. Jude didn't remember it; she was so lost at that point.

All in all, it was a good season, full of real horror and roller-coaster rapid twists and turns. It never went where I thought it was going to go, and that's a good thing. Well done, AHS. Hurry back.
Jan 25, 2013
I agree that Kit was the true hero of this season! I was very satisfied with the ending.My only question is about a cast member, wan"t son of Bloody Face played by Dylan McDermont from last year, yet I never saw his name in the credits,or am I mixing up actors names/
Jan 26, 2013
I can't answer as to the credits because I didn't pay that much attention to them. But, yes, that was Dylan McDermott and he was in last year's AHHS
Feb 02, 2013
But doesn't he deserve some credit,his character was a very special guest?!
Jan 24, 2013
Second season > first season. As simple as that.

The story line in the second season was simply better planned and the characters were more compelling. The only thing I would have wanted to see was more information on the aliens.
Jan 25, 2013
Really? Sorry.. but what storyline? They just came up with several cool ideas like "UFO, nazi, demon, mad house" - they show us several nice shots from it - with great music, actors and scenery - and that´s all. There wasn´t any story to tell. They weren´t able to create one. It was like watching beautiful painting but you have to imagine your own story behind it. And characters? I still don´t remember name of half of them. Season one was much better if you´re looking for poetic deep stories. But I admit season two was better with classic cliche horror aspects.
Jan 25, 2013
"Season one was much better if you´re looking for poetic deep stories" I really, really don't understand how any of the Harmon's storylines could be considered deeper and more poetic than Jude's or Lana's. "Husband cheats on wife, ruins her life, kills his mistress, is killed by ghosts" or "Sad, depressed teenager girl falls in love with a sad, depressed teenage boy-ghost, dies" neither sounds or was deep or poetic in any way. If the season focused on their other, more interesting characters (Constance, for one) it would've been awesome. But then, they weren't the protags. The Harmons were and they were the weakest characters on the show, and you know what they say, weak protag=weak story.
Jan 24, 2013
Amazing episode!!! IT WAS SO GOOD! The ending was so poetic.

-Lana gave them to the police back in spilt milk. Not her fault
-Both
-pepper is having fun in alien heaven:)
-Kit's kids are awesome
-Lana >>>> Geraldo
Jan 24, 2013
Absolutely loved the endings. All things that were loose were wrapped up and we even got a surprise ending with Lana being the true evil out of a possessed nun, a Nazi, aliens, and a corrupt clergymen. I liked how it matched the ending of season 1 where the evil continues despite the death of pretty much everyone. Though they implied that he aliens were good guys, I can't help but think that they're just binding the time for their hostile takeover. Also glad for the peaceful last days of Jude and just further proves that Jessica Lange is a goddess. This season was amazing and I can't wait for all the crazy fun of the next.
Jan 24, 2013
This is the only way "Asylum" could have ended - the pacing of that series was so bad-shit crazy, it had to slow down to let us appreciate, for the last time, all the insanity it ran us through. Very satisfying ending, even though the Season 1 closure was more in tune to an actual horror story, with the childhood of the Beast and what not. Anyway... I kept telling my friends who haven't following "AHS" how unbelievably bonkers the series was this season, so the truest question about its future is: can Minear and Murphy top themselves next fall?
I wouldn't bet against them, but I have no idea how they could do any better.
Jan 24, 2013
But I didn't think they could top season one, either, and they did. They did it by not competing with that season, but by crafting something entirely new. This show must be an actor's dream job. There's no chance to get bored with the character and many opportunities to show off all the skills they have. I love this show.
Jan 24, 2013
Excellent ! I did not care much about the first two episodes but then it started to grew by every new episode until this ending that was close to perfect. The ending for Jude was very touching and Jessica lange simply re-invented herself in this show. She is great ! The guy who plays Kit is also a great actor from Psycho Killer & Ghost to this sweet guy and Lana, what a character with such a great ending. I can only and anxiously waith for AHS3 !! Congratulations !
Jan 24, 2013
Btw, was Anne Frank actually Anne frank?
Jan 24, 2013
They never said definitively, but I don't think so. It didn't seem like the husband was lying to her, and she did have memories of not being Anne Frank. It seems like she was just crazy, and recognized young Arden/Hans in the pictures she was fixated on rather than actually being at Auschwitz.
a mystery for the ages.
Jan 24, 2013
Can someone tell me the whole alien story. I don't get it. Loved the show though. I loved it and will miss it!
Jan 24, 2013
Ehhhhhhhhhh.......the finale was okay. It definitely didn't stack up to the rest of this AMAZING season, but it was fine. Except for the demon plot line. I'm sorry, but it's not like Briarcliff had a mouse problem. There was a demonically possessed nun running the place, and they killed her. The End!! Really?? That's it?? Evil gave up?? It's that easy?? Okay then. Someone go tell the Winchesters that they're doing it wrong.
Jan 24, 2013
Well that was lame. And again, after all of that, all of the supposed horror, red herrings and stupidness. Once again we are left with wussy big bad evil antagonist as nothing more than a stereotypical Dbag with mommy issues. Just like last time. Last season we had Tate who wasn't a big bad, wasn't driven mad by some evil in the house. He was just a Dbag with mommy issues. Thredson, again not some big mythical bad, just a Dbag with mommy issues. Bloodyface jr, nothing but a Dbag with mommy issues. Seriously?! What the heck is wrong with Murphy, who is his therapist. Because whomever they are stop telling him to deal with his mommy issues by bringing it to the screen for all to see.

Let's see what they didn't address again, in the end, like last season.

1. Arden, for all of Lana's supposed skill at being a journalist. She couldn't find out that Arden was really a Nazi. Come on, that would have been an easy line to just toss in there. And little to nothing about his experiments.

2. Aliens, That is it with the Aliens? The alien children became a renowned Neurosurgeon and a freaking Lawyer? A Lawyer? Did they need to create someone to sue the LDS for taking Kolob? And Kit just disappears off the ward and that is the last we get of the Aliens? What kind of resolution was that?

3.The whole devil/satan, there really must be a god because his enemy was in briarcliff. And all we got was Eunice being chucked off of the stairs by the Monsignor and that is it? Come on. The best parts of the season, the Aliens and Eunice, got the worst endings of the lot.

For some of the dumber parts that never made sense. Jude still being in the Asylum, after eunice was dead and before the state came in and drugged her up. She was the head of that place for years. Are you seriously trying to tell us that she couldn't have taken the underground road out. The one that Lana took in? I know Judy wasn't the brightest bulb in the world. But come on, she had alien enhanced Pepper to help her out.

Now with Lana, that wasn't bad. Unless you count ambition as evil. Was she evil or just a survivor. Now granted she wasn't that bright either. So I am not sure the answer of that. And it wasn't even as if she figured it all out, the cops showed her his pic. So basically Lana experienced all that is luck, both good and bad. but at least she skilled bloodyface jr. So i guess there is that.

The best part of the whole season was demon Eunice and that pretty much was it.
Jan 24, 2013
Mate, a dbag with mommy issues. Just kidding, I actually enjoyed it, but I understand why you, the president of the American Horror Story hate group, would hate it. By the way, my old profile was NickLopez22, this is my new profile now. That was actually my brother, I've just been using his facebook account to comment. So yeah, the icon of the long haired hippie wasn't really me. I'm sure you don't really look like Martin Freeman either.
Jan 24, 2013
HA. No mommy issues here.

Nope, don't look like Freeman at all. Or Cumberbatch for that matter. But I did picture you as a long haired hippie. Now my world outlook is shattered. Thanks.

But, I thought I gave it a decent chance this season. Compared to my utter dislike of every aspect last season. I really liked Eunice and I liked and wondered about the Alien and demon aspect. There were a couple Lily Rabe heavy episodes that I thought were great. I wish they would have expanded on there stories and resolved them better. Did you like the resolutions or lack there of, of those aspects of the plot?

I didn't mind the ending so much as I did last season. Given that this post is way shorter than last seasons. But it all boils down to the same psychology. Which has been thus far, a promise of an amazing bad guy but that results in a lukewarm bad guy with mommy issues. Or in this case bad guys. But it seemed the only worthy resolution was Lana. And even that could have been improved. Had she truly figured out who he was and not given his picture by the cops I think that would have been better.

But overall this is supposed to be horror and there really is none.
More +
Jan 24, 2013
I actually liked the way that Kit and Judy's stories resolved as silly as they were, though I wasn't happy with the lack of explanation of the aliens. Eunice and Dr. Arden were great this year but by the end of the season they seemed like after thoughts, because they were hardly mentioned again. It felt like a major storyline that didn't end up being major at all. I agree with you about Lana, and my hopes of the big bad bloody face were let down when Dylan McDermott was revealed. All that actor does is just yell, don't you agree? And what the hell happened with the killer Santa?
Jan 25, 2013
Dylan McDermott pretty much plays the same role no matter the role he is in. Half of the time he is wooden, half of the time he is speaking at that annoying level which is above how normal people speak, but just below yelling. My grandfather was good at doing that, but he had an excuse, he was deaf in one ear.

Killer Santa I think they said that he killed a bunch of people and then was shot by the cops. Don't quote me on that.

But the resolution and the series in general does something weird. It builds up the myth of supernatural goings on. It teases it at the beginning, gets kind of heavy with it in the middle and then at the end barely addresses it. The only difference is that last season, they were ghosts hanging around the tree. And this time it just wasn't really addressed. No demon/satan, no aliens. Nada. Just Lana killing BF2. Which is odd considering this season was called the "Asylum" so you would think that it had something to do with Briarcliff. What about Briarcliff attracted both Aliens and a demon/satan? Same thing with the "murder house" from last season. It wasn't really the house, at the end there was no "malevolence" in the house it was all just coincidence, bad people and a kid with mommy issues.

I don't know, maybe I am back to being nitpicky about it.

More +
Jan 24, 2013
I don't see how anybody could even think to call Lana evil. BF Jr, was a skin-wearing psycho bitch. She put da bitch down. Like Superman would have, if superman didn't have powers and had to use a gun.
I take it as her tying up loose ends. Cleaning up her mess, because if she'd had the thing aborted in the first place, Maroon 5 + everybody else would still be alive. Lana is the only character in this season who had her head on straight.

Kit and the aliens? The f***, and the alien babies? And Grace the eternal home-wrecker, and Alma whose heart just stopped all on its own, and the demon, who just disappeared into the furnace with the sad, evil, mutant-creating self-sabotaging Nazi? and the CATHOLIC CARDINAL killing himself? Years after he'd clearly found a way to live with himself, 1 run in with Lana made him have a BSOD moment?

And the angel of death.I'd thought that at the very least, she'd been possessed by the devil when she kissed Eunice, and that an evil Angel of Death would go on a rampage after being powered up, killing out hordes of the population using the asylum as it's base, and then when the evil angel reached Kit's house, the aliens show up to save kit and abduct the Angel... And they duke it out in a creepy, entertaining yet horrible way.

Or anything like that, really. A monologue from Lana didn't really cut it, neither did the rehabilitation of the evil-ish Sister Jude.

Nobody in this entire series had their shit together. Except Lana. I mean, the devil possesses a nun and all he manages to do is semi-rape an already corrupt priest. The alien babies grow up to be a doctor and a lawyer... implying what, that the aliens paid their tuition? That the aliens helped them with the LSATs and OSCEs. Cause i don't know how it works in whatever part of America Kit was from with that accent, but you don't need alien connections to be a doctor or a lawyer. There are shitloads of them all over the world.

I feel like RM gave me a pneumoenema.
Jan 24, 2013
I absolutely LOVE this show. Both seasons were amazing. Even though I might confess this season beat out the last by a sliver. I think that Lana did NOT make it all up in her head, there was too much to the story. Besides, we followed Kit into his life and how he held up after Briarcliff and Lana wasn't even in his life for a large portion! Kit was my favorite character I will admit, he was so good and pure, just like Grace said, maybe that is why the aliens wanted him. I was sad about Alma and Grace though and how Kit was all alone, he didn't deserve that. Through everything, I am pleased with the ending. I feel like I have gotten to know these characters personally and it is sad to let them go.:(
Jan 24, 2013
Random question but it's sorta bothering me, Kit never got in trouble for bashing that lawyer's face in with a metal hole puncher or whatever the heck that was?!
Jan 24, 2013
He escaped and when he was captured at Briarcliffe, they hid him there.
Jan 24, 2013
I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm with Llostris. It could have been better, but I really liked it for what it was. It was easy to see Lana snuffing out her boy from a mile off, but that's ok too. I dig the subtle irony that Bloody Face Jr. went out with a bloody face of his very own.
Jan 24, 2013
so BF sr. She shot him in the head too.
Jan 24, 2013
Seriously?!?!?! What the EFFFFF?!?!?! THis ia AMERICAN HORROR STORY, and I want my HORROR ending! This is not a soap-opera where all the bad guys get punished and the good guys have a wonderful life!!! As much as I loved Lana in the beginning, I absolutely HATE what she did with her own son, and the fact that she gets to LIVE!!! No way,..Jonny should have killed her! SHe is a terrible human being...who hurt a lot more people than Thredson did!!! At least we knew he was a deranged psychopath!!! But she was EVIL and she knew it/liked it!!!
Jan 25, 2013
You hate the fact that she killed a serial killer? You know, a serial killer o innocent women, killed for no reason other than to "mommy issues"? Wow. And pray tell, just how did she hurt a lot more people than Thredson did? Just tell us how.
Jan 24, 2013
Well, she got to live, but I don't necessarily think that means she had/will have a wonderful life (at the very least, she has to explain the dead man on her floor to the police). And how exactly did she hurt more people than Thresdon??
Jan 24, 2013
I loved this season and this show and everything, but was at the same time really disappointed by it when I think about it. The finale was beautiful and really tied up the Bloodyface storyline in a beautiful, satisfying manner. But uh..what was the point of everything else? It was like Briarwood was this really unlucky place, and the fact that everything that happened there was just a coincidence. What was the point of the Devil? The mutants? The Nazis? The aliens? Like of all those things, a serial killer and his son was the main story? It was like five shows were going on off to the side and just happened to cross Lana's path every once in a while. I wanted a big moment that tied everything together in a huge surprising way, but it never happened.

When I don't think about it, it was a great season that entertained me for 13 episodes and had some beautiful writing. But when I think about it, it wasn't as satisfying as season 1. This season was certainly more risky and pushed the limits more, but season 1 had a stronger storyline and better characters.

Either way, bring on season 3!
Staff
Jan 24, 2013
I'm with you. I was waiting for the big moment too. Overall though, I still loved the season! Yay season 3!
Jan 24, 2013
Well if anyone is going to pick up Prices review of AHS I'm glad it's MaryAnn Sleasman, she also writes good reviews..

I wouldn't consider Lana evil TBH, I think once she got OUT of Briarcliff she was terrified to get anywhere near it again. even later when she snuck back in with the cameramen I remember thinking "That's pretty brave considering the last time she did this she ended up committed, raped, subjected to electroshock etc. instead she made herself a widely seen public figure. cause it's safer if everyone is looking at her and all (in her mind).

It did feel like a lot of plot points were wrapped up too fast and not a lot of things got answered, Like the aliens fascination with Kit, the purpose behind the children, the whole season gearing up towards some epic Lana/BF Jr showdown that ends up lasting about 35 seconds.

It was an acceptable finale that closed up the major plot points but with the pacing, it just felt like there should have been more.
Staff
Jan 24, 2013
Aw, thank you. "Acceptable finale" is a great description. The season as a whole had a lot more going for it, but the finale ultimately did everything that it needed to. It just, like you said, could have been more.
Jan 24, 2013
AHS:A was a wonderful season. The final could be better, but it satisfied me.

1. AHS:A is a story of Lana Winters. And it got concluded. Lana exposed Briarcliff and Monsignore/Cardinal. And then she fixed her own mistake - she killed Bloody Face Jr. I don't think Lana is or ever was evil. The Asylum made her "tough". However as she said herself she was not "a cookie". IMO Sarah Paulson for her role of Lana Winters deserves every possible tv award - Emmy included. I can't wait to see her in season 3.

2. I'm sure alien babies are secretly "enslaving humanity from within". Think about it - the girl is a neurosurgeon. She can put implants into human brains and no one will notice that! Alien masters have to be so proud of her.

3. Bloody Face Jr. was an amateur. He could at least add something to Lana's water to have an advantage over her - after all he wanted to kill her.

4. Poor Kit. I'm sure he would prefer to die then to meet alien doctors. Who knows they might even change him into a woman so he could join alien pregnancy pact.

5. I'm sure one of the cops put the tapes on eBay.

All in all it was a good final. I'm waiting for the next season. Let's hope the aliens will return.

P.S: MaryAnn Sleasman - thank you for filling in for Price and writing the review.
Staff
Jan 24, 2013
They really won me over with the aliens. At first I was very much "not sure if want." Enslaving humanity would have been a nice touch, I like your theory though. Totally.

Alien pregnancy pact. Lol.

You're welcome!
Jan 24, 2013
I think it was Price who invented the whole "Alien pregnancy pact" thing in one of his recaps. However, I quickly picked it up.

I'm glad you like my theory.

I have to say I really like the style of your reviews. Any chance you could take over "The Vampire Diaries" and "Scandal" and start to review "The Lying game"? (that is if you watch any of these shows)
Staff
Jan 24, 2013
Yup, you're right. It was him.

Thank you! As far as covering other stuff, I'm not sure. I don't watch any of those, though I've totally been meaning to check out The Lying Game. Cory was campaigning pretty hard to take over TVD. You'll be in good hands if he gets it :).
Jan 25, 2013
Could be. I wondered how her workload would be affected. I don't care if she drops everything else as long as she keeps doing OUaT.
Jan 25, 2013
As far as I understand Lily stoped reviewing Scandal due to lack of time / working on the pilot.
Jan 25, 2013
I don't know nothin about PLL, but I do watch the lying game. I second radiumgirl reviews of the lying game. Scandal is still covered I think? Lily writes those. She gets all moist about the middle aged white dude with no eyebrows.
Jan 24, 2013
In that case I encourage you to check out The Lying Game. It's a guilty pleasure like PLL, but it has good plot twists and Alexandra Chando who plays the twin sisters.
Jan 24, 2013
I actually loved this finale, and I am a total dork who actually started welling up during Jude's death scenes and also didn't really see it coming when Lana shot Johnny. I think Lana was set up to be a sort of flawed anti hero so you could observe her journey more than you could Jude or Kit's who you were kind of feeling too much about...

Okay...totally confused on the alien thing. I had this theory when the Angel of Death first appeared that they weren't aliens but angels instead and Kit was their pet project human. I think I have decided not to analyze it too much and just wonder if that is maybe a future entry into this series.
Staff
Jan 24, 2013
Jude's death got ALL the tears in my house. ALL of them.
Jan 24, 2013
Love this show, hated the finale. So many things left unanswered...
- What was up with the aliens why was Kit so special? Special alien babies that apparently had powers or at least a direct connection with the alien mother ship as seen when they took Jude to be healed, and all they become is a professor of law and neurosurgeon? Not an astronomer and physicist creating black hole theorems to expand our known universe? They just turned out "good" so what was the point of the Pepper protector of the children. Also they only took Kit up when he literally was keeling over, they didn't take him right when he got cancer or healed him they let him suffer first. And where was his new wife? She wasn't there in the final scenes. And did they not have sex? Because the last two women he slept with ended up being abducted so why not her?
- A friend and I were talking and she asked me if I thought the scene between Lana and Jude in the beginning (to represent when they first met) was the only real event that occurred. Like as Jude said "evil looks back at you" Lana saw all the events unfold if she went through with her ambition and maybe seeing this, the rest of the story never happened because she didn't think it was worth it. This would have made more sense if Lana would have died at the end which would have been a more satisfying ending although I do love the actress.
- The monsignors death was pretty weak. He NOW felt guilty? NOW he kills himself? I dunno about all of that. I also want to know what the alien experiments and human experiments correlation was. Everything comes back to the aliens! Why was Alma sitting on the bed with a baby when Kit and Grace come home, but Grace had to give birth in the insane asylum because they transported her back there for some reason?
WHEW... IT FEELS GOOD TO VENT! Anyways still love the series, bring on season 3.
Jan 24, 2013
I think Lana's story about her experience at Briarcliff was purely fiction.
Jan 24, 2013
Are you totally believing Johnny or did you just interpret that last 1964 scene as the last real scene in the show?
Jan 24, 2013
Oh, one more thing....I know if Price were with us he would share my outrage that Pepper apparently suffered an off-screen death. That little ray of sunshine deserved better! In my heart, I choose to believe the aliens saved her.
Jan 24, 2013
I have to say, the more I think about it, the more I like the finale. I know some people wish it had more horror, but I liked that they wrapped everything up rather neatly. With Season 1, I was left with so many questions, and it felt like it wasn't finished. Which was fine with me, until I found out that the second season would not be a continuation of the first. Then I was like, WTF? THAT was my ending? To the whole story? I've yet to re-watch Season 1, but I'm sure if I re-watched already knowing that the last episode is the end of the story, I would enjoy it more.

But I liked that the Season 2 finale was a bit tamer, and wrapped up loose ends. A season finale should be full of action and cliffhangers - but with AHS, the last episode is really more of a series finale.

I was beginning to have my doubts about how it would end, when it was 10:52 and Lana and Baby Bloody Face were still chitchatting. But I really enjoyed how it ended - how Lana played the mommy card to calm him, reminiscent of her time with Thredson. And how she shot him, just as she shot Thredson. Also loved the flashback with Jude, and the line about staring evil in the face. I think that line really sums up the entire season. I loved that they showed how much Lana had changed since that first day at Briarcliff - she may have been one of the "good guys", but by the end there was such a darkness to her. Loved it. Can't wait to see what they do for Season 3!
Jan 24, 2013
Sister Jude on her death bed looked ravishing.
Load More Comments