American Idol: Does Anyone Else Miss Fantasia?

It's no secret that American Idol's Season 9 contenders, when compared to those of past seasons, are a little weak. And while I know that Idol isn’t really known for cranking out totally original artists, now that we’re down to Lee, Crystal, and Casey (my bet is on Lee 'cause Crystal always looks so sleepy), I have to say that not one of them really stands out as a unique performer. That sad truth was all too clear on Wednesday, when Season 3 winner Fantasia Barrino returned to the Idol stage; I couldn’t help but reminisce over the incredible performances she gave way back when Idol was still exciting. She is, to this day and season, the only Idol contestant who's ever given me chills. And at the risk of sounding totally cheesy, she was a winner the second she stepped into the spotlight—with her original voice, hot dance moves, and power to emote like nobody’s business.

So let's take a short trip down memory lane and go back to a time when American Idol wasn’t quite so bland:

Here's Fantasia performing in the Season 3 semifinals:

Here she is doing more than just justice to Tina Turner’s "A Fool In Love":

And what? Fantasia took on the great Barbra Streisand? Yes, yes she did. And she even made Paula cry.

She also channeled Whitney on "The Greatest Love of All":

And finally, her incredible performance of Porgy and Bess’ "Summertime":

Who's with me? Can Lee, Crystal, and Casey ever live up to some of the previous seasons' winners?

May 19, 2010
Does Anyone Else Miss Fantasia? nope just you...has she even had a hit since idol? Jennifer Hudson was in the same season as Fantasia and she's accomplished waaaaaay more.
May 17, 2010
Some may sing louder and higher? Fantasia's voice breaks windows. Wow you have NO good points. How many sales does she have like Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson? Her career is going no where and no one ever hears about her or buys her crap. I love how you backed it up by saying you'd "eat us alive." You're a moron. She has talent but she sings screaming RnB crap that has R U I N E D the music industry. God some people are just so stupid. There have been so many better more RESPECTABLE contestants.
May 16, 2010
The people posting on this sit are obviously delirious and discombobulated. Fantasia is GREAT!! I'll even go a step further and Say THE GREATEST Idol contestant to grace the stage. No one has the versatility in their voice that she does. Some may sing louder, or higher but none with a more diverse vocal range than Fantasia. Say what you want but you clicked on this link for a reason. For the ignorant individual that said that she had no success after Idol, I recommend doing a little research before you post because people like me (who are dedicated Fantasia fans) will eat you alive.
For the one who said people in your school could sing better...OK? What's your point. Tell them to try out for idol and actually win! That has nothing to do with Fantasia.
May 16, 2010
OMG, her rendition of Summertime was OUTSTANDING!! She has one of those unique voice in which you either like or you don't. I love her voice and she brings emotion, sincerity and honesty to any song she sings. And as she said the last week she is R&B, nothing else but that. If you ask people to name the American Idols, they will remember Fantasia. Her voice is great. And she proved that any song they threw at her she could make it her own. And if you don't listen to R&B you won't be familiar with her. One of the most talented American Idol's I've heard. You were right to salute her. And she had something even last week that the contestants we have left lack, passion.
May 16, 2010
HAHAHA Fantasia!? Are you serious!? Her annoying whiny-cat voice actually gives me hope for this year's contestants..... Jennifer Hudson was in another league..
May 16, 2010
Do I miss Fantasia, not by the classic mile!
May 15, 2010
Is this a joke? How terrible of an ear for music do you have to have to think Fantasia is good? She sounds like a bag of cats when she sings. Good lord, there's A REASON she had zero success after Idol and had to resort to a cheesy reality show on VH1 about how retarded she is (no joke: she's on a 7th grade intellectual level)
May 15, 2010
no this years contestents they do suck i have seen alot of good singers from the shows past .
May 15, 2010
I do agree though final 3 not interesting this year. Casey should not be there in the first place.
May 15, 2010
Never liked Fantasia one of the worst AI winners of all. Not much achievement by her after over the top hype by the judges. Totally not into her. I was supporting Jennifer Hudson that time.
May 14, 2010
ummm she sucks i know kids in my school that sing waaaay better than her
May 14, 2010
Also, You're clearly driven by RnB music, and that's why you don't like this year's contestants - They sing music outside of the norm that is pop music. Fantasia has talent, but she's not in any way better than this year's or past seasons' contestants.
May 14, 2010
Are you serious? Fantasia? She is HORRIBLE. Just terrible whiny RnB music. Crystal is a natural born talent lightyears beyond past contestants. And Lee and Casey will both be great rock stars as well with a good raw sound, as long as they don't fall into the trap of singing pop music like all of the others. Gosh, Fantasia, really?