American Idol: Who Should Win the Coveted 25th Spot?

Good lord, that was a gruesomely long Hollywood Week. Was it not? It was more like Hollywood Year, as it felt like we’d been auditioning these hopefuls since Season 10. (And in some cases, we have.) Just pick the damn Top 24 already! For starters, half of them are going to be toast within the first two weeks of competition anyway, and besides—haven’t we moved past the point where any of this really matters, or even carries the semblance of mattering? It’s just another singing competition. Perspective, people! It’s a really useful tool. Rant over! And having said that, our Top 24 looks to be an okay, but definitely not stellar, crop.

On the boys’ side, we have the natural charm of Phillip Phillips, the can-do attitude of Reed Grimm, the come-to-Jesus caterwauling of Joshua Ledet, the dry wit and Boltonesque soul of Heejun Han, the prepubescent purity of Eben Franckewitz, and Adam Brock, who reminds me of either David Gest, Christopher Lowell or James Lipton—or maybe all three.

On the girls’ side, we have Barbecue Barbie Baylie Brown, the not-quite-ready-for-TV Elise Testone, the towering hippiedom of Haley Johnsen, and the terrifying back tattoos of Erika Van Pelt. Did I miss any of your favorites? Feel free to fill us in.

Squeezed in between the Top 24 victory dance sequence and Steven Tyler stripping down to his underwear and diving into the frigid waters of Decision Cove, we had an interesting wrinkle: One of four discarded male contestants would have a shot at a 13th spot—judges’ choice. My first instinct was that they’d realized they’d wrongly eliminated Johnny Keyser, the pretty boy soul crooner, too hastily, and this was their convoluted way of bringing him back into the competition without it seeming as if they were playing favorites. And I still pretty much think that, and will have confirmation when they announce their choice on Tuesday.

But assuming all four have a legitimate shot, let’s take a look at the four and judge each on their own merits.

Jermaine Jones is the gentle giant and mamma’s boy who sings Vandrossian soul. Richie Law was the guy in the cowboy hat who bossed around Heejun and Phillip, the two most likable guys in the competition, during group night, thereby earning the witheringly dismissive nickname "The Cowboy" from Heejun, as well as a bunch of other hilariously snide cracks and insults. Let’s eliminate him right off the bat. As for Jones, well, he seems nice, but he cries an awful lot and I get uncomfortable watching giants cry. It’s like you’re reading some weird fairy tale, and I’m not seven anymore, so THANKS but no thanks. Here’s the two dueting on some terrible song I hope never to hear again:

That leaves Johnny Keyser, who from as best as we can make out was eliminated for getting too comfy in a hot tub in Vegas, and David Leathers, Jr., who is 17 going on 11, and seems like a very sweet kid who got way further into the competition than he ever expected to. Before we decide who deserves the coveted 13th spot, let’s watch Johnny singing “Wake Up Little Susie” in Las Vegas:

Okay, that kind of explains why he was eliminated. Johnny was terrible. Compare that performance to David’s “Rockin’ Robin.”

David killed it! We choose David! Go David!

QUESTIONS:

– Who are your top three contestants from the Top 24?

– Who would you choose to be the 13th male?

– How did you like Steve Tyler’s impromptu bathing session?

– Are you pumped for Idol Season 11, or bored of it?

you hit the nail square on the head with all your points. I agree.
I also think Jen and Josua should be at the top, this is no longer about talent or how well they sing, this is getting to be more of a popularity contest than about the music. I still watch it, dont get me wrong, but also go over online to listen to new talent, sites like www.makeastar.com where you can check out new singers and t there's always healthy competition.
Reed, Jen and Joshua SHOULD be the top 3 if America isn't stupid. None of the 4 should get that spot. I'm sick of Idol always breaking the rules and putting though mediocre talent. It's getting ridiculous. All I could think of when Steven did that was think to myself about how Randy Jackson said "Idol" was classy and laugh. They have a few very good singers, but no one that stands out above the rest. I'm sick of these judges though, they suck. Idol needs Simon AND Kara back.
Phil Philips and Heejun are my absolute favorites. :)

And David should definitely be the 13th.
why four males? why not a 13th female? top 3 I have no idea since I have not seen one audition or any of the rounds after! I have seen Steve's bathing session well that is Mr Steven Tyler just awesome!! I'm I pump for season 11 I am going back and forth I may or may not watch it! I will make my mind up Tuesday evening
How about just ban this pile of crap?
Couldn't agree more, David deserves that spot. As for Keyser, geez! where do I start? He was being already super cocky and douchy during his interviews, but what made me want to puck over the tv was when at group night, one of his partners fainted (on stage), and he was like "get her off the satge, I wanna keep singin", WHAT??!! Srsly? He just kept on singin, didn't even looked at her or checked if she was ok, he just glanced and decided it was HIS moment, so he needed to shine, so get the " her out of here cause she is ruining MY moment" attitude did it for me, if he comes back, I'm gonna mute the tv or cjnage the channel in every appearance he makes, I swear!!!
I also think David should be the 25th. I think they picked the weird named kid that looks like Bieber so it will be easy to get him voted off.

I am also uncomfortable when giants cry.
I was shocked at David's exit, but I get that if it was between him and the other kid, the show would naturally opt for the Bieber clone. That also makes me fear that they'll pick smug pretty-boy Keyser, or the new Scotty Cowboy as the 13th male.