Anybody Remember This? Millennium's Epic 10-minute Freakout (VIDEO)

BACKGROUND: The year was 1998 and Fox's MillenniumChris Carter's tonal spin-off of The X-Files—was ending its second season of intriguing, esoteric, and low-rated Friday-night thrills. For most of the series' run to this point, Frank Black (Lance Henriksen) split his time between bringing down monstrous serial killers and attempting to uncover a global conspiracy related to an impending apocalypse. This show was GRIM, basically. But Millennium would never be as grim and nightmarish as its two-hour Season 2 finale, "The Time Is Now," in which not only did Black's beloved wife die OF THE PLAGUE, his clairvoyant associate Lara Means (Kristen Cloke) was driven INSANE after learning the truth about the end of the world. In what has to be one of the most memorable moments ever broadcast on television (to me), Millennium decided to show-not-tell Means' descent into madness with a ten minute (!) montage set to THE ENTIRETY of Patti Smith's freakout masterpiece, "Land."

Ladies and gentlemen, this aired on NETWORK television:

Amazing, right? When Millennium picked back up again that fall, Season 3 functioned as bit of a reboot with new cast members and writers, and the show would never again reach the disturbing heights of its Season 2 finale. I have a working theory that if this series was produced today on, say, AMC, it would be a watercooler hit. Alas, Millennium was an awesome show that was ultimately just too ahead of its time.

Did YOU see this sequence when it first aired?
Did it give you nightmares?
Do you miss Millennium?

It's been a long time since I've seen this show, and I remember it as uneven. My biggest memory, though, is a fantastic opening sequence that showed a silent montage of a "Columbine" type event orchestrated to a full version of "Dancing Barefoot". This show had a great affinity for Patti Smith.
A show is successful for me when images can make me recall emotions months if not years later. This had 3 dread-inducing years, but I also mourn Miracles with Skeeter Ulrich, which didn't even get to complete one season. For those who remember:

GOD IS NOWHERE

GOD IS NOW HERE

Were you disappointed when the world didn't end?!
Aren't there Veronica Mars Season 3 episodes that need reviewing? Just saying.
Yes, that was epic. I actually bought the Patti Smith album after watching that episode.

Millennium was great first and most of of second season. Kind of sucked in the third.
Yes I miss Millenium! I just bought the dvds a few months ago (@ChocolateBabz $18 brand new on Amazon) but haven't been able to watch them yet. But I am so looking forward to reliving this series. It was so dark and mind-bendy and unlike anything else on tv at the time. Lance Henriksen was awesome but we also got the amazing Terry O'Quinn! I thought he was great here as well.

The scene that has always stuck in my head (I may have the details wrong since I haven't seen the series since it aired) was I believe in the first season when Frank saw Lucy Butler coming towards him and he got a flash of her as a demon. That image has always stayed with me. And also Terry O'Quinn's final scene where he kills himself...powerful stuff. (I started to put spoiler warnings for that last part and then realized wait a minute, this whole article is one giant spoiler, duh! lol)
How did you manage to get them for $18? Brand new box set is $47 just now but it is my birthday soon....
Patience & a little luck. I had it on my wish list and just kept checking prices. The prices vary a lot if you watch them for awhile so I was very patient and then nabbed it when I saw it drop so low. But that was a particularly low price so I was happy. I also wait & buy a lot at the end of the year or around black friday...you can find seasons of many shows for 10 or 12 dollars. Happy pre-Birthday! My birthday is soon as well so we should both treat ourselves to some dvds!
This was an amazing show. I really miss it and I wasn't feeling okey when I heard that it will be canceled after the third season. It had a great potential that could be explored. Last sentence of the article is 100% true: this show was ahead of its time.
Shows that require an American audience to think will never last. Millennium, Rubicon and the like are too intelligent. It's a shame.
I really loved that show, but the writers never gave the great actress playing Black's wife anything to do! (or the kid) So, yeah, of course, they killed her off. Luckily, years later we got Medium, where the female had similar scary insights, but the writers knew how to use the whole family!
Yeah, the wife never had anything to be, but I thought the girl (Jordan?) had some good parts.
YES! Best unofficial music video ever!!
LOVE that show! This makes me want to do a Millennium marathon for Halloween. Such a disturbing show. HIGHLY underrated.
Ah yes, Millennium... I didn't know about it when it was originally on the air, and even if I had head of it, I would have been too young to really get it. Luckily, I check it out on DVD a few years back, and absolutely loved it. Season 2 was my favorite season of the show, due to its very experimental nature, as shown by this very scene. In fact, season 2 of Millennium is my second favorite season of any TV show I've seen (after The Wire season 4). Unfotunately, season 2 was also probably a big part of the reason the series only lasted 2 seasons, since that season put off the fans of the first season's more "dark crime drama" tone," and then Chris Carter trying to find the right ballance between the tone of season 2 and what he wanted Millennium to be like (so as not to put off fans of either season), which seemed to take several episodes to figure out. Either way, I do love all 3 seasons of Millennium, and great moments like this will stick with me for a long time.
I watched Millennium and have no recollection of this whatsoever. Would love to see it again [excuse me a sec] no it's not on Netflix, how disappointing [just another minute] $37 for a used box set on Amazon, may have to add to wish list...
I don't know why but whenever this time of year rolls around I always watch millennium especially the episode set during Halloween. I cant explain it but to me it just seems to gel with what a Halloween in the USA is really like and its great. I think about it every year around this time and it always brings me back to watching the show. I too miss millennium allot. TV just is not the same anymore without it and shows like the Xfiles.
God, please send us a new set of seasons of Millennium, one of the best shows ever
yes, no, yes I miss Millennium very much!!!!