Awkward.: 'Til the Truth Do We Part

Awkward. S02E07: "Another One Bites the Dust"

We fans of Awkward. live for the show's huge moments. Big-time events like a tension-shattering smooch, a torturous high-school pants-wetting or boob photo, or a buried secret that bursts out of the ground. Getting to those points where we gasp and flutter our hands saying "OMGOMGOMG" isn't always the smoothest path, but these payoffs are worth it, aren't they?

"Another One Bites the Dust" was exactly that, a rocky road centered on Ally's wedding that punched us in the face in the final moments when Jake *gulp* learned the truth about the man who had been to Jenna's sacred lands before he had.

After seeing the previews for this episode (a wedding!), I was really looking forward to it. Weddings are fertile ground for people to start off classy and slowly devolve into drunken lunatics who are caught up in the fuzzy feelings of the loved or the misty tears of the unloved, creating an atmosphere where anything goes and everyone regrets it later. This is a perfect situation for the characters of Awkward., as all of them are spread out in the love spectrum.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of a problem with focus to kick things off, and just about everything was about bride Ally. Yes, it's her day, but it isn't her series, and the Bridezilla/Bridesaster act took up a lot more time than it needed to as the episode hurtled toward delivering the goods in the final moment. Ally is on the periphery of peripheral characters, a semi-supporting character who should put central characters in motion rather than taking the spotlight. The antics were fine and I enjoy her character, but it all seemed like filler until the characters we care about more got traction.

And once they did find their footing and Ally toned her shit down, things got very interesting. Lacey's old flame Ben was invited to the wedding, Jenna and Matty had a sweet conversation, and Sadie tortured Tamara by tonsil mining with Ricky Schwartz. Lacey's story was particularly of interest, because for all intents and purposes it was the adult version of Jenna's love predicament, with Ben playing the role of Matty and Kevin as Jake. It was like the ghost of relationships future haunting Jenna, with Jenna giving her mother the exact same advice she should be giving herself, proving that Jenna's situation is one of those problems that's easy to solve as long as you aren't the one in the middle of it.

As for Jenna and Matty's little chat outside the reception, Jenna called it closure, but I got news for you girl, you just kicked that door wide open. Closure means moving on, and neither one of you has. Admitting that seeing each other in new relationships "stings a little" is the opposite of closure, it's picking scabs.

And now to Jake. Oof! Who didn't hold their breath during that entire scene when Sadie spilled the truth to an unsuspecting Jake? Awkward. always handles these kinds of moments with confidence, and Jenna's cheery voiceover paired with Jake's realization that his best friend and girlfriend have been lying to him was that extra little twist of the dagger that absolutely killed us.

This is one of the most nerve-racking "To be continued..."s ever. I can't wait for next week.

NOTES

– Sorry about no review last week, I was on vacation watching rock n' roll with a bunch of hippies in the hills of Oregon.

– God, I love Valerie. And they did a great job of getting her into the bridesmaid party. There really was no one else free on short notice on a Saturday.

– I know I'm Team Matty, but I give Jake major points for stepping up and telling Sadie to eat Ricky's face in front of Tamara. He really is the "nice guy," but who can deny the Jenna-Matty connection?

POP QUIZ!

1. What was the biggest moment for you in "Another One Bites the Dust"?
... a) Jake learning about Jenna and Matty
... b) Jake learning about Jenna and Matty
... c) Jake learning about Jenna and Matty
... d) All of the above

2. Do you agree with Jenna that she got "closure" with Matty in that convo?
... a) No! They basically just admitted they still have feelings for each other!
... b) Yes, residual feelings will exist. The important thing is they are rooting for each other.
... c) Dude, these two will NEVER EVER have closure.
... d) This is another one of Matty's head games. He's just waiting for the right moment.

3. What do you think of Lacey going after her old flame Ben?
... a) She's practically a single woman. Go get some hottie spit, girl!
... b) Noooooooo! This is unacceptable behavior for a married woman!
... c) Come on guys, it's LACEY we're talking about here. Of course she's gonna go for it.
... d) Let's not villainize her yet, she hasn't done anything! She's emotionally crippled and just wants attention!

4. What's up with Ricky Schwartz?
... a) Dude is a horndog who will hump anything.
... b) He actually sounds like he really likes Sadie.
... c) I would like for him to get with a bus and I would like to see Tamara behind the wheel.
... d) He's kind of my hero, actually.

The correct (a.k.a. my) answers: D (duh!), C (duh!), D, D (come on, it's high school! I hope he crushes Sadie's heart, too)

THE JAKE VS. MATTY-o-METER

There was some major movement toward Jake in this episode after everything was said and done, but it's going to be so short-lived that Jake might entirely bounce off the meter, leaving only Matty. Take this week's Jake vs. Matty-o-meter with a grain of salt.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Great review, And while Jake is a 'nice' guy, I'm team Matty all the way!

1] D, poor Jake

2] A, get back at it you two!

3] D, Lacey is growing on me

4] B (surprisingly)
tim you should continue these reviews. Thursday's episode was crazy
Waiting for the "Time after time" review, but just as i hoped, last night Jake made it a little easier for me to stay Team Matty! :)
Team Jake!! I hope those two crazy kids work it out.
Notes:

-We shall just hold it against you from now until forever. Meanwhile, I agree that the Ally stuff was a little too much at times, but last season had one really Ally related episode (the party) and if that's really all we get of Ally this season, then I can okay it for consistency's sake.

-You and me both. Valerie is an amazing character and ridiculously well portrayed by Desi Lydic. And that photo you have at the top of your review is essentially perfect Valerie, and I laughed out loud at that moment in the episode. Sadie is majorly pissed off, Jenna's in yet another "awkward moment" and there's Valerie with this weird goofy just so pleased to be involved grin on her face. LOVE her.

-Team Jake all the way. Way the nice guy, and his telling off of Sadie for Jenna's best friend earns him all kinds of points especially since he wasn't even sure that Jenna would be aware of his actions there. Go Jake.

Questions:

1. A) maybe, B) possibly, C) probably, D) Abso-freaking-lutely.

2. A) for me. B) is a generally true statement, C) is just too much soap opera writing in my book, which this show has so far managed to transcend, D) I could see if it weren't for the fact that this one came off as much more genuine than all of his other more obvious games, which leaves A) yeah, I walked out of that conversation saying.... wait, did you just seriously say you still have feelings for him? Jenna, you're not helping yourself out there. If you're over him, it should just kind of feel odd as you used to date him and no longer do, it should not sting.

3. B) all the way. A) is flat out wrong, C) is not a poor choice and D) is probably fairly nearer the truth for this character on this show, but she's currently married and that she and Kevin are just getting over some stuff, no divorce papers have even been filed, and at last meeting, despite Kevin's reticence, she was fully in the plan of "I must win him back", and it's rude to change plans without letting him know at least that "hey, go after other women because I'm doing the same thing in reverse".

4. As much as I want to say B) for Sadie's sake (who's done a lot to redeem herself despite other setbacks that render the progress moot), but I'm pretty sure it's just A). D) of course not if you've ever talked to me, and while C) has its very appealing merits, it's just A). And that's not a criticism against the writing. There are many many boys just like that in high school.

I also cannot wait for next week. Such a good episode/show.
1. hmm so many options...

2. D. Matty is scheming, and scheming hard. That guy can't be trusted.

3. also D. There's nothing wrong with flirting with another guy when your husband has left you. Or is it...? As long as she doesn't do more.

4. Ricky Schwartz: A B C. He is a horndog, but he seems to have feelings for Sadie. Also, hope Tamara gets some closure.

Aaw, Jake, I thought I couldn't love you more than I already do, but it turns out I can! <3
Best episode yet! And wow, I can not wait for next episode! They know how to entertain us.

Q's:

1. D! haha

2. A, that's exactly what I've been waiting for, now it's gonna get interesting...

3. D

4. C, do it, please!
I don't like Ally much, but I liked this episode. Sadie rocked the entire episode, and Ally serves as a perfect way to bring Sadie around more often.

I didn't hold my breath for long when Sadie outed Jenna; I was too busy yelling "YES!"

"Why are all men assholes?" - Jenna, Exhibit 9999999567....A
I sense the Lacey's ex boyfriend storyline heading in the direction of him possibly being Jenna's father because of the comment of Lacey not seeing him since Jenna was born hinting at a possible love triangle connection between Jenna's parents and that other dude at the time of Jenna's conception. With that said I hope it does not head that way as I feel it has already been way overdone by now.

On another note, I only really noticed this on last week's episode but does anyone else feel like Jenna's voiceovers aren't being handled as well as they used to? For example, the classroom scene last week, the dialogue cut from conversational to voiceover back to dialogue and finally back to voiceover in practically one cut which just didn't really flow over well with me. All that really happened during the voiceover was Jenna squirming out different thoughtful conflicted faces out into space before turning back to Tamara when she decided to talk again. It reminded me of Scrubs when Turk knows J.D is thinking of something because he tilts his head and puts on a thought bubble face.
I definitely didn't mind the Ally-ness of the episode. She only shows up once or twice a season, plus it was frickin' hilarious bridezilla stuff! Right, Lil' Bitch? Right.

1. D - at the same time Jenna was finally saying "I love you".... to his voicemail.

2. A, C, & D - she's only fooling herself.

3. D - Lacey has always been an attention whore.

4. A & D - I've never seen the lovable loser schtick work so well!
Poor Jake!!

All this time I thought I didn't have a team, but after this episode I realized I'm totally team JAKE!!!
Does anyone else want more Ming?
*Raises Hand*

I thought the Asian Mafia episode meant that she was getting more chances to shine, but it seems now like another reason to disappear her.
This show is really good. I would preferred if they gave Sadie more lines, cause she's incredible. Her 'you're welcome' kills me every time.
The looks on Sadie's face kill me, especially the one on the link to this article. That actress is fantastic!
Sadie is more fun to watch than the tired story of one girl loved by two guys which seems to infest all teen shows/films. Tamara needs a new man though.
1. C (The first two options sound a little far fetched to me, and D is simply not possible.)

2. A (It was a silent agreement to keep the status quo, but soon they will be dealing with their feelings again. Especially when Jake will stir up some trouble soon.)

3. D (Her feelings towards Kevin are the real ones, she is just a little emotionally lost at the moment.)

4. A, B, C and D.
1) D

2) C

3) D

4) B

Poor Jake!

POOR JAKE!!! I felt so sorry for him when he finally got it... :(

I am totally team Matty too, but come on... He's absolutely the perfect boyfriend. No, wait, he's the perfect guy, and still i'm soooo rooting against him... I'm an awful human being! ;)

(though Jake's growing on me... Luckily, from the preview it seems like Matty will find his guts and fight for Jenna again.)

Anyways... Way too much Ally, her crazyness is endearing for 5 seconds, than it steals focus from the more interesting characters, like Sadie (and of course from the triangle).

I want more Kevin (if i were Valerie, i'd totally make a move on him), he's waaaaay hotter than that Ben guy (in fact, nothing against the actor who portrays him, but he doesn't feel like a Matty to me)!

And i was thinking... Jenna DID NOT try to commit suicide. But she DID USE some of the advices from the carefrontation letter, becoming less of an outsider and finding an amazing boyfriend (let's skip the "who should i be with" drama). I get that Lacey could have been more subtle, but come on... It's Lacey we're talking about, she's extreme but she means well... Walking out is way too harsh! Please, Kevin, COME HOME... :)

1) D - must have stung a lot more coming from Sadie (another proof that no good deed goes unpunished!), poor Jake!

2) A and C, but mostly c... (absolutely not b)

3) D (see above).

4) B. I really enjoy Sadie, in a twisted way, so i hope she doesn't get her heart crushed. Plus, i really enjoy this new odd couple!

i was team matty but he still has no guts now i am team Jake he is a nice person and take stand for other people
One of the best episodes this season IMO. We all knew Jake would find out...we just didn't know when. Anyway, to the questions:

1. D: I never would've guessed SADIE was the one to spill the beans.

2. C

3. C

4. A
Seriously? Knowing that she knew and knowing her personality, you had no idea that it would be Sadie?
Dear Bro,

Thanks for takin' that bullet.

Your bro,

Bro
She is going to lose both of them.
I'd hate to see it, but I can't deny that I thought the same thing ever since the end of the first episode.
Team Jake!
Who thinks we're heading into a "Who's Jenna's father?" storyline?
I do I do I do.

No but seriously Jenna looks so much like him and she doesn't look that much like Kevin or Laci, so yeah I could totally see him as being her bio-dad who dumped Laci so when she found out she was pregnant she passed Jenna off as Kevin's.
Seriously, this is Laci we're talking about. That letter was outrageous and she's an adult. Imagine her horrible decision-making as a teenager.
I hope not!
By the way, am I the only one who found it absolutely HILARIOUS with how Monica, the pregnant woman, was introduced? I'm sure they had a proper intro for her in this episode planned, but it had to get cut because of time restraints, but I loved the finish product.

1. You notice this pregnant woman we've never seen before, but we assume is friends with Ally and Lacey.

2. You keep seeing her, yet you have no idea who she is!

3. Her water breaks and you laugh at yourself still asking, "WHO IS THIS WOMAN!?"

4. They finally tell you her name is Monica!

Lol. I don't know about anyone else, but I loved it.
I really thought I missed something and yet she was in so many scenes!
Phew, I was getting worried for a minute thinking there wouldn't be another Awkward. review. ;__;

I absolutely loved this episode, and that ending, OMGOMGOMG! Is it next week yet?

The one thing I disagree about with this review is the over attention on Ally. I personally didn't mind it at all, and it brought in some classic Awkward. comedy for the episode. I loved it, and I loved the new nickname Ally gave Jenna for the wedding. So funny!

Also, did you notice how Sadie reused to call Jenna "Lil B----"? I think that was Sadie's insecurities kicking in that she didn't want to admit anything along the lines of Jenna having a more slender size than she does (which btw, Molly Tarlov is looking great this season).

Seriously, this episode killed it, and I can't wait for next week now that JAKE KNOWS!!

Pop Quiz Answers.

1. D!

2. E? All of the above? Is that possible? I don't care, it's my answer!

3. B and D. Mostly though I just want Lacey and Kevin to get back together before season end!

4. B. I really think he's into her, but we'll see how long it'll last! The dude's is a horndog like 'A' stated. Haha