Being Human: Crazy, Stupid Love

Being Human S02E11: "Don't Fear the Scott"

With last night's episode "Don't Fear the Scott," Being Human continued its trip into ridiculous territory, even for a show about a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost living in the same house together. Last week the zaniness came from Sally's over-the-top Exorcist act, this week, it came from the flip-flopping hearts of Josh and Aidan and their inability to stay broken up with old flames.

Josh is super tight and totally smooch-faced with Julia, now that Nora and her lupine obsessions are out of the picture. Aidan is unable to resist Suren, who has magically transformed into someone who isn't a total nutjob. Let's talk about how horrible both of these relationships are for both of our guys. They're horrible. Holy crap, are they bad. So it's tough to watch Josh and Aidan fall over themselves for both of these women, both of whom are better at banging Josh and Aidan's friends than they are at being the guys' soulmates.

But these terrible relationships did lead to a great double-dinner-date at Case de Monster as the two boys tried to take their 'ships to the next level. When the heck did this show become One Tree Hill with fangs? Anyway, things have been utterly ridiculous for a while so I've just learned to go with it. And when you have a werewolf, a vampire, a vampiress, a woman who slept with the vampire, and a snarky ghost providing commentary in the other room, it's fantastic. Being Human has a knack for dinner-table scenes. Perhaps the show should consist only of Friday-night dinners at the apartment?

After that, the episode took so many turns for the worse that it ended up in Worseburgh, Worselvania. Nora returned, as was plainly obvious, and she showed up at the wrong time: when Josh was rebounding happy. But Josh didn't want none of that, and oddly enough, it was Julia who acted the sanest in this situation by telling Josh that he should take the time to think things over. Later, Nora told Josh that it was purebred Brynn, one of the wolves she ran off with, who was the psychopath (even though the crazy one was clearly Connor but Brynn fit the story better), and that she found out how to lift the curse of the werewolf. All Josh had to do was kill the man who turned him, which I believe is actually a vampire rule if I learned anything from The Lost Boys.

Aidan's new relationship with non-crazy Suren was going great until Mother abruptly (and without a lick of sense) ostracized him from vampire society to give him his "freedom." But that freedom means no free blood, no vampire fixers to clean up any messes, and a little something I like to call "instant death" if he's seen talking to any vampire. So the lovesick puppy dog did what every 16-year-old boy would do and told Suren that they were running away to be vampire lovers on the run, sampling human sangria from state to state. The plan worked great! Until about 8pm, when Suren was so starved for fresh blood that Aidan had to go find her a living, breathing snack. He was betrayed by Henry who ambushed him in a parking lot with a small crew of other stake-armed vamps ready to poke a hole in Aidan, because that's what Henry the Betrayer does.

Meanwhile, after a couple strong episodes for Sally, she was back to watching ghost shows (haha) on television in her PJs. But she learned that Janet (the woman she possessed) went cuckoo and landed in a psych ward, so she set out to make things right. Nora helped her out, Janet was set free, and that in turn helped Sally push out reaper Scott from her life. For now!

Being Human's characters have made so many drastic changes over the course of the season that it's hard to tell what's normal behavior for them anymore. Character arcs are great; it's always fun to see progression with the people we spend one night a week with. But Being Human is just moving its characters from role to role without any regard for their core.

All of a sudden it's Julia who is the sympathetic character and Nora's the bad person? Did Suren take some self-help classes in the last few episodes while she was away? Aidan is back to resisting live feeding when just last week he was draining an unconscious Zoe, plus he's playing fetch for Suren when her tummy grumbles yet doesn't see the hypocrisy in that? Josh, sweet, sweet, Josh, is now barking at Nora rather than talking it out? Didn't he learn his lesson from what he did to Julia? And Henry! Jesus, Henry. At least Sally is back to being Sally. For the time being.

Being Human has gone from promising supernatural drama to soapy fluff with a coat of supernatural paint slapped on it. The show isn't interested in creating meaningful drama, it's only interested in creating any drama. That leads to sloppy writing, bizarre character interactions, and pushing things so fast that viewers don't have time to register what's going on. The series is close to becoming un-salvageable.

Notes

– One thing this show does REALLY well is get the little character details right. Sally watching ghost shows is just one example of the tiny things that keep us coming back while the rest of story goes bizonkers.

– So Janet, who only has part of Sally (left behind from the possession), can remember a poem Sally wrote during childhood, but Sally struggles to remember it?

– Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to have Suren and Julia over for dinner? Obviously it was done for our entertainment and I'm grateful, but not a good idea, Josh.

– Did everyone forget that talking to ghost in a hospital hallway where doctors are walking around makes you look like a crazy person?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Tim, I will partially agree with you.

The first few episodes were fantastic, but I concur that lately the writers seem to be whipping up drama just for the sake of drama, and that the main characters have been 'flip-flopping' lately on what made them so interesting in the first place. However, this same tendency occurred during season 3 of True Blood, and that show is still around. I don't mind Being Human leaning more towards the campy side of things, as long as they keep it interesting.

Seriously, I would give a pint of blood to attend one of those Friday night dinners!
Close to un-salvageable? I don't know if we're watching watching the same show.

While I agree with some of your points, I think that the show has gotten better over the course of the season, not worse.

I had to laugh when you asked if Suren had gotten self help classes in between episodes because it certainly seemed like it. I've never quite seen what Aidan sees in her because to me she's always seemed like a self-obsessed elitist vampire and this was the first episode that I actually liked her.

I don't share your opinion of Julia though. I think that she's a good addition to the show for now and I think that she's an essential piece for Josh to move on. He left her without any explanation and has expressed regret. I think that he's always going to feel remorse and be living in the past if he doesn't end up telling her the truth. And she seems like she's really down to earth and she's been challenging Josh, so she's been a good addition to the show so far in my opinion.

Nora was a welcome return and I hope that she sticks around. Like you, I didn't like the way that Josh treated her, but he was hurt by the way that everything went down with her and he feels guilty about turning her and what she did after.

Besides the Lost Boys (which I've never seen so I don't understand what you're saying), I don't know where you got the idea that killing the one that turned you is a vampire rule. Vampires are already dead and there's no way that they can come back to life. I've never heard that in any TV or movie about vampires; although, I have heard it about werewolves before.

And I disagree with your statement that "The show isn't interested in creating meaningful drama, it's only interested in creating any drama." While I may not like every choice that the writers have the characters make or every plot on the show, in my opinion the show's been creating drama that is meaningful. Most of everything that's happened has evolved from one plot line or another and is has meaning in who the characters are and who they want to be.

Josh ran away from home without saying goodbye to anyone because he was scared that he would hurt someone because he'd become a monster. He risked getting into a relationship with Nora and turned her into a werewolf accidentally. As if that wasn't bad enough she liked being a wolf and the violence and actually killed her ex-boyfriend and two vampires. She didn't want to find a way to break the curse and left.

Last season we saw him have to deal with his family and how he hurt them by leaving, but now he's dealing with Julia who's so far been very direct with him (especially in this episode). It's obvious that their feelings never really got faded and or got dealt with. And with Nora returning she's now trying to redeem herself, which forces Josh to deal with all the feelings he's been suppressing.

As for Aidan, he's been banished but he did get his freedom. Now he's been betrayed by his "son" and he has to try survive with Suren. But all season long he's had to make choices about whether to betray other vampires, whether to kill Henry or not, etc.

This is a supernatural show, but the characters are always striving to be normal-to not be monsters. As such they are going to have relationships (and relationship drama) and the show is not going to revolve around the supernatural theme as much as some other shows do. My opinion is that although this is a supernatural show, it's much more about the characters and their daily lives.

If you don't like the show anymore, you don't have to watch it, but there are plenty of us that feel differently.
Tim I have to disagree. Being Human is still doing great. I'm not expecting it to be a certain way..I'm just in for the ride. As long as it doesn't throw out the 3 Leads' Friendship being the center of the show..it should be fine. There's supposed to be a scene where they realize they have to "save the house"
haha okay so I have no idea what Being Human is doing...sometimes I'm like ya its so great! and the next minute I'm like WHHAAAT?!? I'll say this: I'm not a huge fan of the julia storyline (I like Nora!) and sally's story is good right now I think. Josh is all over the place so I have no idea. Aiden is also kind of all over the place...like make up your mind! bad vampire? or relatively good vampire? And I haven't been a huge Suren fan but I liked her in this episode (probably cause she is actually nice and maybe even human-ish) but it is like a change overnight so I don't quite understand what happened...

Oh and that black orchid story? cheesy and kind of cute...but random as all get out (made me smirk)

And that is all I have to say about that.
this is true Tim, talking to ghosts does make you seem crazy.
Staff
What Psych did for detective crime procedurals, Being Human continues to do for supernatural vampire/werewolves/ghost genre. Doesn't take itself too seriously yet continues to develop their characters in awkward (funny at times) situations that advances the story forward. I thought this episode best exemplified that. One of the best of this season.
For all of the reference to months passing by I still feel the fact that they rushed the Nora going from knowing the sis/bro wolf for 5 minutes (she even made the exact comment herself!) then telling them her darkest secrets and murdering a guy in the next scene was way too quick! and for all the people loving the idea of Julia and Josh did we forget that just three or so episodes ago she was bent over in Aidan's bedroom after meeting him that afternoon?!?! Not exactly my first choice of "the one", but that's just me! If he were actually as over Nora as the time jump reference would like to persuade us then explain his anger and confusion, don't be angry, just be happy with your sloppy seconds. This new direction was as rushed as the Nora going dark and running off was, but I don't have much invested in this show as I can stop watching just as easily as I tried to become a fan.
As for both main characters getting too involved with their long-ago ex's, I have to agree that is just bad news. Ex's tend to be Ex's for a reason and those reasons tend to not simply vanish.

Suren is not going to change CENTURIES of behavior after a few weeks/months with Aiden, and Julia is still in as much danger from Josh now as before.

Nora's situation could be considered short-term, she's still trying to make sense of everything. So she's the only ex (of the 3) that would make any sense... IF she can get her act together and keep it all sane.
As for the werewolf curse breaking, it's been used as a plot device for YEARS... I believe way before The Lost Boys. That killing the werewolf that turn you will free you; though sometimes there are other restrictions (before you draw human blood, before the 2nd full moon, etc).

As for Janet, she was having trouble with her memories... they were rattling around her skull like bees in a jar. It pretty much drove her crazy, so I don't doubt that some random old memory popped into there.
I couldnt disagree with Tim more. He clearly doesnt like the show or really get it because I see none of the complaints that he does, nor do I see many other reviewers writing the same kind of critiques. Maybe find another recapper cause this guy is a total downer.
Tim is clearly not paying attention when he watches the show (except for when Sally is parading around in her underpants). Julia was never the bad guy. Nora went awol and left poor old Josh all alone, so she is kind off the bad guy (albeit prettier than Julia).

Throughout the episode we were handed clear information as to how much time has passed since the start of the season. Suren's mom mentionde that Suren had been in Boston for 9 months already. Julia said she had been working at the hospital for over 3 months. I guess time has to pass quickly so Josh can 'Worph' on a regular basis.

But anyways... love the show. Oh and the dinner-scene was one of the most hilarious things i've seen in a long time.
I loved this episode. Look Tim, Josh did not just get over Nora overnight. Many months have passed, and Josh and Julia are taking a second shot at their relationship. If there's a victim in this, its Julia. Nora made the choice to leave, to find her "inner wolf", and leave Josh in the dust. Nora is the bad one here, not Julia!!!

As for Aidan and Suren, the relationship has taken a dramatic turn, but it seems more than natural given Suren's mother basically banished him from the vampire world. Demented or not, this relationship is happening and for the most part, its not as bad as you say it is, well for now anyway.

Sally's storyline was awesome. I'll give Nora credit for helping her through this very rough patch, but it doesn't excuse how she treated Josh. We all know that reaper side may come out again, its just a matter of when.

So, as you can see, since these future changes for Aidan, Josh, and Sally are so much different from the British version, this is a VERY GOOD THING.
Well, first of all, none of this happened over night or "last week", somebody made a reference that several months have passed, so is understandable that Josh is over Nora and into Julia again, I mean, they were enganged, he loved her once, c'mon!!

Then Suren, maybe hanging out with Aidan has helped her see the light, Idk, and honestly Idc, I agree with you here that this storyline makes no sense.

And then, are YOU KIDDING ME?? Nora IS a bad person, or at least she was given the fact that for months she was in the run with anotherr wolf killing ppl or things and feeding her "instincts"... whatever, Julia was never evil or bad, she was and always has been a sane person, and now that Nora has satisfied her thirst for blood she is ready to come home, I get it, and I like the idea, but Julia has to die, that will be the only way Josh & Nora can be together, Josh isn't gonna break Julias heart again...
It was great to see Nora again. She's hotter than ever!
Will the Reaper stick around any longer? I was already expecting him to start throwing imaginary firecrackers at Sally.
if he just disappeared fans would bitch that the reaper storyline meant nothing
I completely agree with your review, Tim, but I'm glad the shows is straying from the original British material, in which I feel like the characters get over emotional and the ghost makes tea all the time. And people hug and kiss Annie ghost even though she is, well, a ghost. I loved it when Aidan tried to touch Sally as a tender good-bye and she it was like touching smoke.
It's no surprise that this show is getting crazier the further they stray from the BBCs source material. This episode had enough twists for 3 shows but I'm still enjoying more than most shows on TV.
I'd say..the more they stray away from Being Human UK the better. Dont get me wrong I love(d) the original, but it really did jump the shark in the Season 4 Premiere
Uhmm... wow. I am actually really enjoying the show. Sure, the characters keep changing, but it makes sense. Sally went nuts, but now she's back. The guys are both shaken up and confused because of their relationships, which is understandable. Suren is trying to be calm and "normal" for Aidan, and Aidan is trying to be the man (or vampire) he was before, after seeing what he was becoming in last week's episode.

Mother banishing Aidan is understandable and makes sense. She still resents her daughter. She wants her to be a responsible leader, and that means no relationships with a vampire that wanted mercy and freedom from their society.

So yeah, I can't see anyone acting out of character. All I'm seeing is how they're reacting to the things that happen to them.
I second all these points and tip my hat when you glance my way.
It was an interesting episode. Kind of predictable. But entertaining. It kind of looks like they are quickly trying to wrap up the loose ends of the season. Which kind of explains the rush and glossing over such things as. Aiden, resisting blood. Suren being hungry, Henry being a douche, etc. Maybe they were hoping to get a few more episodes ordered from Syfy and they just didn't come.
If there was overlap we would have a different conversation. Julia if there was overlap I don't think there would be a conversation just diner.