Being Human: Mother of the Year

Being Human S02E06: "Mama Said There'd Be Decades Like These"

Syfy's Being Human follows a familiar pattern. Each episode is pretty evenly divided among the three central characters, and though their stories may cross paths occasionally, any one of them can usually be isolated from the others without losing any potency.

Because of this, I go into each episode hoping that at least two of the three stories will earn grades of check-pluses. When the series is on, all three stories get the thumbs-up and there's never a dull moment. But even if one or two of the stories isn't that great, Being Human almost always finds a way to salvage the episode with a strong moment. Unfortunately, that didn't happen in "Mama Said There'd Be Decades Like These," which continued the show's slide away from "smart underdog" and toward "generic monster mash" with an episode that ran in place.

Sally, poor Sally. And poor Meaghan Rath. This week Sally got one of the worst stories the show has ever belched in our direction, and it had nothing to do with Sally and everything to do with her recently deceased mother, an ungrateful whore of a person with no redeeming qualities. Sally's mom Rena arrived at the hospital in bad shape, and passed on while her husband was crushed and standing vigil over her. Sally met her mom in the hallway and she seemed overjoyed to be dead, not even batting an eyelash at the fact that she was DEAD and walking around a hospital as a GHOST. Sally was all like, "Hey dudette, let's hang out and be mother and daughter," and her mom was all like, "Sure I guess so, but let's get away from your lame-o dad." At her mom's funeral, Sally was aghast to see Rena bumping vapors with her old neighbor, who'd passed away 10 years prior. Awkward, especially considering that her dad was just a few feet away mourning the drying corpse of his wife.

We've seen this story play out before; child discovers parent's secret life and is shocked/disappointed over the whole thing. But in none of these previous tales of Moms Gone Wild has the mother been such a loathsome parent. She wanted nothing to do with Sally in the afterlife, saying that she'd failed her daughter in life, so what is she going to do about it in death? Umm... maybe try again because you've been given an impossible second chance not to suck so hard? Instead the mom wanted to hang out with her boy-toy neighbor, who she'd been sadder about being away from than her own murdered daughter, tragically ripped from life's clutches at the so-much-promise-ahead age of 20-something. And ladies, I think you'll agree with me: Jerry was no catch. Someone please find Rena's door and kick her ass through it. And after putting up what I thought were very reasonable vocal complaints, Sally disappointingly resigned herself to accepting her mom's utter desertion. Please don't come back, Rena. I haven't been this mad at a character in a long, long time.

Josh had to deal with the aftermath of Nora's late-night snack on her ex, Will, with the purebred werejerks. Nora was in hiding, and detectives were snooping around Josh's tracks, wondering what he knew about Nora's whereabouts and where he was the night Will was turned into kibble. In order to get the cops off his trail, he tracked down sexy black vampire cop Cecilia who Aiden turned, and made a deal: I'll get you a pair of purebred werewolves to show off to your new masters if you get the heat off me. Cecilia compelled the cops to look elsewhere, and Josh handed her Heggeman's werewolf-killing gun and the address of the werejerks. That's like some The Wire shit, yo!

Things were really strange with Aidan, who spent half the episode pretending to be drunk or shirtless or both. Aidan is slipping down the rabbit hole of fresh blood, and received a visit from Supernatural's Lucifer. Or did Supernatural get a visit from Being Human's Bishop? Either way, Mark Pellegrino is spending a lot of time these days in characters' heads as figments of their imaginations. He was the Devil on Aidan's shoulder, and told him to vamp up and kill Henry, horny progeny Henry who's threatening Aidan's rise up the power ranks (which Aidan doesn't want, btw).

(Side paragraph: It's interesting to think that Jeremy Carver, who wrote this episode and previously wrote for Supernatural, used the same idea with the same actor as Supernatural did in Friday's episode, written by Ben Edlund. I'm sure Carver and Edlund are friends and it's all coincidence, but imagine the chuckles these two shows had when they realized they'd done the EXACT SAME THING with the EXACT SAME ACTOR acting the EXACT SAME WAY. And Pellegrino must be wondering what a guy has to do to get a job where he isn't pretend.)

Aidan eventually confronted Henry and the two came to fang-icuffs, but when Aidan had the chance to give Henry some wood, he stopped because Henry is almost like a son to him.

"Mama Said There's Be Decades Like This" was fat with themes about love for those you care about, but it wasn't much fun and individually, the stories weren't enticing enough to stand out. That's in part because it's difficult to tell what's important in Season 2.

There's been a lack of smooth sailing for Being Human as of late, and that inconsistency has made things a bit messy. Nora has only appeared in every other episode, which has made her storylines incredibly jagged. The same can be said for Suren, who is also on a schedule of one on, one off. Ditto for Sally's body-jumping-turned-drug-addiction; last week it was a big deal, this week it was completely absent. Being Human has also been adding characters like it's Game of Thrones, but only keeping up with a handful of them. All these factors have sunk Season 2 after a solid start.

Notes:
– Speaking of characters introduced and abandoned, does anyone else miss freshman Stevie? He just disappeared.

– Aidan spitting out blood and pole dancing with chicks in their underwear! I was hoping this show wouldn't devolve into cheap tricks like True Blood did, but it's obviously going there. Please stop it, Being Human, you're better than that.

– The dinner scene was pretty great, as is pretty much any scene where Sally, Aidan, and Josh are in the same room. But I'm not sure what the point was of Josh's fake-out hallucination in the kitchen when he was "arrested" by the cops. Why do television shows feel the need to do stuff like that?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Sally's mom was horrible, good thing she's dead?

I thought the exact same thing about Bishop/Satan mind ghosting for both of the latest episodes only a few days apart
-I don't miss Stevie. I found him a little annoying and weird.

-I HATED that whole sequence with Aidan and those girls and all that blood.

-I liked the dinner scene as well. As for Josh's hallucination, shows do stuff like that as cheap tricks. Josh getting arrested was featured in the promos for the episode. Cheap tricks to make people watch.

Overall, I was very unhappy with the episode. I feel the same way about Sally's mother. I haven't hated a character so much in a long time. I have a feeling Josh covering for Nora is going to come back to bite him in the ass. I liked seeing Bishop, but the fact that he was a figment of Aidan's imagination was just stupid to me. I am so annoyed with Suren, it was nice to see to Bishop, who was a great villain for the show. Suren and Mother are annoying so far.

I hope the show gets better right away. The season started off wonderfully and now I'm not even looking forward to new episodes. BTW, I must add, it was a big mistake to ignore Sally's previous addiction as if none of it ever happened.
Oh, come on. Couldn't there be anything more unoriginal than Mark Pellegrino appearing as a devil on somebody's shoulder, especially a couple days after Supernatural's episode? What's figment-Bishop going to do next, move to an island and mess with the lives of some survivors?

For a moment I swore Bishop was going to call Aiden Dean. I mean, the idea was fantastic the first time, now it's just a copy. Pellegrino was fantastic as usual, but he had the same sarcastic delivery he uses for Lucifer.

I think Aiden and Dean should join in a mutual support group on how to deal with an imaginary devil. Right before Sam and Dean, naturally, kill Aiden because, let's face it, once a monster, always a monster, and he will kill again.

Lucifer's been haunting Sam, not Dean.
That's right. Sometimes I have problems telling them apart...
Staff
Sally's mom succeeded at being a failure. Such a loathsome character. I liked the storyline though. With an excellent start to the season, this was an above average episode. All shows can't be perfect like Breaking Bad after-all.
Because of Josh's storyline I'm ok with that episode. Sally and her strange mother was an absolute failure and Aidan was so whimpy and the whole creator thing was so dragged out it was only for Pellegrino to be tolerable.

Back to Josh: when the ugly cops startled him at the hospital, his fear of a sudden raid at home and both cops showing up at his laboratory/cages - great stuff loved it. When he snitched the purebreds to Cecilia, I wasn't cool with that but then I thought that the purebreds were setting him up OR being so unbelievable reckless he truely had no other choice. But if Nora runs with the "pack" now - how will he save her from gettin hunted down too ?
I wouldn't say season 2 is sunk, exactly, but I see what you mean.

As for the thing with Sally's apathetic quasi-approval of her mom's attitude, it's hard to say whether this was meant to be seen as a resigned acceptance/mere toleration on Sally's part, or a by-design weakness in her character, as being the sort of person who lacks the ability to say "wrong is wrong, and mom is wrong here".

Or possibly someone involved in the show's writing process with that problem in real life? I would hate to think this show is going all "everything's OK" on us. Because if it does, there goes Aidan's entire plot line.
I get the feeling that they don't want Sally to progress because there's always the threat of the door appearing, which she will go through if she has a second chance, but TV usually forgets that people just don't work that way. If you fix one thing, it doesn't make you instantly happy enough for your door, there could be numerous issues. Whatever happened to her murderous boyfriend though? Do I just not remember or did they leave him alone after scaring him to death?

I am so glad everyone agrees Rena is the absolute worst mother! I am feeling so incredibly lucky with my own best-mother-of-a-lifetime, who would happily chase me down forever in my afterlife. She would not stop until I got my door. I just have the best mom ;)
You could get a job as a writer on this site making a discussion 'Note' like that.

They did leave the murderous boyfriend alone. But only after getting him committed to a mental institution.
I actually thought Danny was arrested at the end of S1.....I guess I'm mistaken. My memory is not what it used to be :)
Yeah, Rena was a real ho-bag. I'm surprised they weren't getting squelchy with each other on top of the casket. Man, it sucks to be Sally. I agree it feels like her story is always a last minute throw in. There's nothing congruent about it, she just jumps from one scenario to the next with no consequence, recollection or growth from what came before. And yes, I liked Stevie and thought we'd see more of him.

Nora's such a strong character, it's really noticeable when she's not in an episode. Why do I feel like she's going to get caught up in the middle of the Pureblood take down next week as an unintended consequence of Josh trying to fix the situation for her? That guy just can't catch a break!

Aiden's behavior was a little (okay, a lot) weird, but his scenes with imaginary Bishop were pretty good. And yes, I also had a WTF flashback re: Mark Pellegrino. Typecast much?? Surely he told them?

Those Aiden flashbacks were so bad, I didn't feel the father-son connection with Henry at all. In a seemingly brief amount of time Aiden turned him, gave him a chance, got royally screwed over by him and they all had to go underground for decades. There was no real Bishop/Aiden-type mentoring that we ever saw. And isn't it convenient that Henry resurfaces right after Suren is dug back up?

The past few episodes are a far cry from what I was praising as one of the great shows on TV after the first few episodes of this season.
I agree about Aidan and Henry. There was no chemistry or connection between them. When I think of Henry, I think of him screwing some female. I really wish Aidan would have killed him and been done with it. It's like they can't even get Sam Witwer to pretend to care at all for Henry, who he supposedly views as a son.
I was conflicted about the this episode as well. Sally for the the same exact reason. It is almost as if they get done with Aidan and Josh's plot and then say oh crap we forgot about sally let's slap something together. That being said, Sally has had it rough. I was disliking her a bit for doing the Ghost equivalent of crack and jumping in a body to have some guilt free sex. But damn she had a crappy life and thus far an afterlife as well. If I were in her shoes I might jump into someone's mea sack and stay there as well. i can see why she wanted to be in a baby so badly. Her fianc was a murdering arse and her mother was what a horny self serving arse. Her life must have been truly tragic. And I agree her mom needs to go as fast as ghostly possible.

Aidan however I disagree with you I thought he was hilarious. It was nice to see him as the drunken batboyesque rocker and the scene where Josh was trying to talk to him and Pellegrino was making his quips was great. We see Adain serious way too much or conflicted or moody. It was nice to see his lighter side. However, I don't think he has to worry about Henry. I think either Suren or her mother are going to take care of that potential problem. Suren after having spent 80 years in the dirt has to still be pissed at him for cheating on her. Plus she doesn't seem like the type that forgets stuff like that. Plus the mother has to lay at least a little blame for the outing by Suren on him as well.

Josh on the other hand, I just could get into his story. For several reasons. One he has been dealing with this for a while now he needs to stop being such a wuss. Secondly, he supposedly is intelligent enough to get into MIT's Med School. He should be able to figure things out himself rather than run to Aiden or Suren's pet cop. That just seemed kind of sloppy and his ernest, awe shucks mentality is starting to get grating. I thought it was a little endearing last year and the first part of this year. But at some point he needs to man/wolf up. I think his answer to the purebreds is lame and ill thought out.

He and Nora, I don't see her lasting much longer. She is turning out to be a lot like Rebecca. In that what was relayed to us by Bishop that you have to take care whom you change and bring such power to them. If it is a broken, cowardly person they are going to be like Rebecca and like how Nora is becoming they are going to relish the new power that they have and could have never had in the past. They are going to become unstable and the power is going to seduce them and they are going to be a shadow of their former selves. Henry, being the greedy over eager power hungry guy, like he said when Aiden turned him he thought it was going to be nothing but drinking and party girls. he is just going to become more greedy.

I still really like this show. I hope that they bring some of the funner aspects of it back. I also hope that they bring Josh's ex back I thought that was going to be a great plot line, but it seems they are leaving it by the wayside. Still a good show. But as they have previously have shown us, they can do better.