Being Human Renewed for Season 3

The lease on Josh, Aidan, and Sally's apartment has been extended! Syfy today renewed Being Human for a third season, promising 13 new episodes in (probably) 2013. The supernatural series is currently four episodes into its second season.

Being Human is a North American adaptation of the U.K. series of the same name. It's based on an absurd premise that actually works: A werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost all live in the same apartment. I know, crazy, right? But Toby Whithouse, who created the original British version, concocted the idea with normal human beings in mind before adding the supernatural aspect at the request of the network he was pitching. The result is a supernatural show that's much more character-driven than most. The Syfy version is run by Supernatural's Jeremy Carver, who brings a lot of that show's spirit with him. It's good, and you should give it a try if you aren't watching yet. Thumbs up from me.

Syfy supported its decision to renew the show with a flurry of stats, most notably that Season 2 has seen double-digit percentage growth over its first season. But one stat that stood out to me is the gender split: 52 percent of the audience is female, according to Syfy, making it the most female-skewing program in the history of the network and making me think it's my feminine side that keeps me tuning in each week.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that of course it's female skewing. Despite the copious amount of blood that is spilled in each episode, Being Human is much more of an emotional drama than a supernatural thriller. And Aidan is quite the hunk; a series that's just video of Sam Witwer sleeping could probably bring in a large female crowd.

Are you surprised that Being Human is Syfy's most female-skewing series ever? Over romantic-fun-times summer show Warehouse 13? More than Painkiller Jane? More than Dinocroc vs. Supergator? Or am I just not aware that I'm more lady than I think?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Maybe the UK version was better before, but Season Four of the UK show has really dropped the ball. I think the US version (what little I have seen of it) has too much soap in it. I find the whole reincarnation element laughable. Perhaps that's intentional? All the flashbacks they're doing with their vampire thread keeps bringing the old Highlander TV series to my mind. If these three characters are 'being human', I'm glad that I'm supposedly antisocial. As far as copious blood goes, Being Human is a nosebleed compared to the Spartacus series currently running.
I can see how the US version can be seen as feminine mainly because Aiden whines a lot but the show is still okay however, no matter how much I may like the US version; the UK Being Human kicks it's ass ON SO MANY LEVELS! Personally I like the supporting vampire, werewolf and ghost characters e.g. the US version can do with a werewolf Tom- He makes me laugh all day long and is actually an intresting replacement for George, plus his sister is Kelly from Misfits which is effin cool. p.s. America I implore you PLEASE don't make a US version of Misfits, quit while you're ahead lol
Man this series is a weak copy of the UK version. I am Dutch I first saw the first 3 seasons of the UK version. How Americans can screw up these things is beyond me.
Good to know I'm not the only chick who thinks Aidan is funny looking. It's like he has two different chunks of face that don't go together and they're fighting for dominance. And he's even pasty for a vampire! Josh is adorable, but they try too hard to make him a buffoon so Aidan will look like the leader by comparison.

I'll watch ANY sci-fi/fantasy show if only to bolster a very deserving but underrated genre, but the emotional drama of this show is what let me down. I spent all of first season waiting for these people to give a damn about each other! They were so self-absorbed it was like watching separate shows spliced together. Especially Sally. She couldn't even listen to the others talking half the time. And Nora is an example of a common mistake made with female characters: assuming that bitchy and domineering equal strong. She came off as more of a bully to me, and I soooooo wish that were rare.

The UK version still thrills me and that's largely because they've always been the lonely outcasts huddled together for warmth and comfort against a judgmental world; the love and camaraderie is clear even when they're having a tiff. But this one is like someone said, "OK, this is for the Americans, so lose all that substance so there's room for more flash."

I haven't watched this season at all, so if these bugs have flown away, let me know. I'm always happy to give fantasy a chance. Even on syfy.
Makes no difference, it will still be canceled after season 5.
" Or am I just not aware that I'm more lady than I think? "

OK, put down the Nair, and step away from the 3-way vanity mirror!!
I like the US version of the first season just as much as the UK version, but this second season is just starting with a bang. That is even better than the UK version and I am happy it got renewed. (The hot vampires and adorable werewolves make it even more enticing!)
I'm not surprised at all it's Syfy's most female-skewing show ever...I haven't seen it but if it's at all like the BBC version which I've seen a few seasons of well that's one of the most "soap opera" shows I've seen in a long time.
Of course it's no surprise. Other than the obvious, hot vamps and adorable werewolves, it's also the best series across the board that syfy has had to offer other than Sanctuary and the now dead (heartbreaking) Stargate franchise, neither of which started out on the syfy channel.
I just hope they won't follow UK version.

I am not a chick but I like the show.
Considering that Twilight is so huge (and bloody terrible, no pun intended), it's no surprise that vamps are popular with chicks nowadays. Being Human's a great show, though, so I can't hate on it, it deserves all the audience it gets.
Happy for the renewal as I enjoy this show for the realistic and unrealistic aspects as it seems to keep attention to detail which is a major key to keep me interested. Action is good and I can see where the supernatural feel comes from and I can understand females tuning into the show more as it has the drama to kick and the characters were chosen correctly according the reviews. Good show, its up there with Supernatural, Fringe and Haven for me.
My favorite stuff is actually with Sally, the stuff with Josh is okay and I flat out dislike the stuff with Aiden half the time. But I love Witwer as an actor, I'm a straight guy so it;s not that he;s hot but he has a great voice and he is a really good actor plus he is a gamer which is always a plus for me. But the incessant flash backs and all the dealing with the thirst stuff annoys me, vampires have been done to death recently which is probably why all the women are tuning in, vampires and Witwer are a potent combination and liable to moisten most women (not to be crude). But besides all that the show is still good, I look forward to it every week and enjoy it every week. Though I'm not crazy about how they are having Aiden go back to the vamps, I mean one of the key plot points is they are trying to live as normally as possible. But whether you are male or female it;s worth a watch, easily seven out of ten, maybe even seven point five.
As long as it doesn't go the way of the UK version. Kill off all the main characters WTF is up with that? The new series has gone weird.

I vote for a series of Aidan doing anything!! he is HOT !!!
uh...spoilers, much?
it's not spoiling anything, if you just look at the cast for Series 4 you see it's all new cast. Doesn't take a genius to figure out the main's are gone. The Sally equivalent is still there though. I like both US and Uk, and they already said after the Season 1 the US one is completely different, and it is..
Any show with ridiculously attractive and/or charming male leads will be considered a "chick show" but I do think the emotional aspect and the fact that the show spends just as much if not more time doling on the complexities of simpy being human and finding and/or creating one's self. They manage to work in cleverly masked but insightful, deep, and reflective moments between the characters. Actually the identity crisis is one I'd think would attract younger audiences as well despite it's mature audience ratings. Glad it's been renewed.
Not Sam Witwer, Sam Huntington is hot!! josh is so adorable, he's the hunk <3
I'm a straight guy and I enjoy this show. Great news about the renewal.
I confess, i love Aidan's voice than the rest of him...

I dont think he is "quite the hunk", and if he is then not my kind...But if he was into recording fan's voicemail messages, i could turn off my cell and call myself several times a day.
this is def not just a girls show. i love it. its not like its Gossip Girl. come on!
Absolutely wonderful news but please , just please.. Nora and Sally must stay alive as long as possible. I love them and the way they act - especially Nora. This season turns out to be great and I'm really enjoying this.
Actually I agree with Anoukvdzee, Aidan doesn't quite cut it for me, yes, the guy is super hot and I admit I would melt if he ever tries to whisper in my ear, but when it comes to choosing who I watch for is Josh.

Josh has the perfect combination of a geeky-sweet-dorky-awkward-cute-hot looking guy, I mean, he opens his mouth and you just wanna making shut it with a kiss, and the puppy look in his face, rly? how can any girl not melt with it???? How??

Plus, maybe is just me, but I've notice a bigger built Josh this season; Sam Huntington must have hit the gym in between breaks because I saw a pair of guns and a six pack that wasn't there in season 1.
I would actually think that it was Sanctuary that had most female viewers it has a domenating female maincharacter. And speaking of Sanctuary any words on a season 5 yet?
I have a bit of a different take on why more females watch the show. Even though the two guys are the "werewolf" and "vampire" the real power is in the women. Josh chases Nora around like a little puppy dog. Aiden is subservient to the new vampire chick, and Sally......well.......she's just crazy.
I'll be glad about the renewal if this season picks up. Don't get me wrong, I love this show, but so far these new episodes just aren't as compelling to me as the first season episodes were.

And (spoiler alert!) I'm a guy.

I actually had no intention of watching this version of 'Being Human', but there was nothing else on and my curiosity got the better of me. Right place, right time, fascinating story... couldn't have been more pleased! But I still don't like other vampire and werewolf shows. Zombies FTW!!!
Haha... I am so happy the series continues forward!
Actually, is it really terrible of me to admit that I am not that into Aidan? I know the man can't help his face, but it's such overkill ;) It makes him somehow less appealing to me. Luckily, I watch this show because it's good, not for the eye candy. And yes. I'm a girl too.
YESSSS WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO I'M SOO HAPPY

Okay...I'll admit it...I really like Being Human.

Oh...and I'm a girl. =D
You're forgetting Sam Huntington, that man is easy on the eyes too! Two good-looking and genuine male leads, character-driven drama - hardly surprising that women are watching this. I'm thrilled it got renewed, yay!
I'm happy Being Human will be back for a third season. It's one of my favorite shows :D
Yes, happy it got renewed. I guess thats not surprising that a lot of females watch it. I'm a girl myself and i'm a big fan of the show. It probably is because of the emotional aspects and Sam Witwer. For me personally though, I like all those things plus the fact that it has such well-developed characters and the supernatural aspects.
Yes I'm glad it got renewed