Being Human: Sally and the Purple-Color Dreamworld

Being Human moved onto the second-part of Sally's bifurcated mental state last night with "Dream Reaper," and it was pretty clear that all filters were given the week off. The episode was verifiable nutso from top to bottom, featuring an alternate house in purple, blood tears, and mind melds. But most importantly, it featured Sally (Meaghan Rath) in her underwear. (My prayers have been answered.)

As I stated last week, I wasn't too thrilled with the reveal that the Reaper that had been pressuring Sally into joining his business of ghostbustin' had been in Sally's mind all along. Perhaps it's my rock-solid mental stability or the fact that we've seen that so many times before that threw me off. "Dream Reaper" closed, for the most part, Sally's struggle with schizophrenia with an hour that worked at times, was Punk-ing us at other times, and was downright silly at other times.

While knocked out on the stairs surrounded by salt (and tape, better work on that next time prop department), Sally imagineered an entire world in her head where she was getting engaged to the non-existent Reaper in a black-white-and-purple version of the roommates' house. Seeing Sally with a legitimate smile and in new clothes (panties! Hee hee!) for a change was great, but mostly these kind of stories don't feature a real threat because in the end you know they'll snap out of it. We just check our watches and wait for it to happen.

The real action took place in the real world, where Josh and Aidan were pretty desperate to kick some consciousness into sleepy Sally. To help crack that nut, they called on ghost whisperer Zoe, who didn't know what she was getting herself into. Sensing a threat, the Reaper (who is Sally, right?) poltergeisted the windows and doors shut, locking everyone inside at what ended up being a very unfortunate time. There was a clever use of ticking clocks in the episode: a full moon (because there's one three out of every four episodes) was ready to rise in hours and turn Josh into a hairy killing machine, and Aidan was coping with a serious live-feeding hangover and felt his chompers grow everytime he glanced at Zoe's supple arteries. To recap, the apartment was full of an about-to-change werewolf, a relapsing vampire, a woman who reincarnates ghosts into babies, and a ghost with a split personality. This show! I tell ya...

The freak outs got more and more intense, reaching a crescendo when the boys told Zoe that Sally murdered her ghost boyfriend and hit the peak of that crescendo when Aidan began feeding on an unconscious Zoe that was mind-melding with comatose Sally and reached the zenith of that peak of that crescendo when Aidan was convulsing on the floor with blood coming out of all his face holes Ebola-style after trying to feed off Josh the werewolf. That may be the most ridiculous sentence I've ever typed. Like I said, this episode was N-U-T-S.

At some point, I just had to go with it and ride the wave of zaniness because there was no use fighting it. And as Aidan lay there on the floor twitching, Josh jumping up and down panicking and trying to make a werewolf kennel out of a refrigerator, and Zoe squirming on the stairs because the Reaper was choking her in the dreamworld, Sally realized she was "dreaming" and snapped out of it, letting all the air out of the balloon. It was the easy way out of the mess, but what did we expect? But her time with the Reaper isn't completely done, as a little part of him will stay in her just waiting for her to drop her guard. In other words, it's a good way for the writers to be able to bring him back at any time when it serves a purpose or they get stuck.

"Dream Reaper" was one of those late-mid-season rough patches that most series go through as they try and connect dots to ramp up near the finale. It rarely worked, yet somehow still managed to be entertaining. But again, the takeaway here is that we saw Meaghan Rath in her underwear.

Notes

– Not sure if fantasy IM chats from a vampire in the real world are a sign of the times or just an effective lazy way to convey that someone is trying to talk to you.

– Aidan was ridiculously weak-willed this episode. Yet other times he doesn't have a problem. I'm sensing selective inconsistency here.

– OMG YOU GUYS! Sally in her underwear!!! Might have to screen cap that stuff and print out a poster for my office "Babes of TV" calendar that also includes Alison Brie, Sarah Shahi, and Mark Harmon.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom
The episodes have been turning me off, so much so that I don't even look forward to watching this show anymore. I finally watched this Dream Reaper episode today and I didn't like it at all. I'm sad because I once loved this show. I did like Aidan and Josh's bickering throughout the episode but overall, the show has been disappointing me.
I actually really enjoyed this episode. I tend to enjoy episodes where the main cast stays in one place for the entire duration. I like the idea that Aidan and Josh were both locked in a house with a human... with the possibility of impending danger.

The BEST part of this episode was Sally. How awesome was it to see her in different clothes with her hair and makeup all done?!? Yowza! And the underwear scene definitely didn't hurt. Or the fact that my favorite color is purple.
Seriously? I absolutely LOVED this episode. It was one of the best!
I loved this episode, it was perhaps one of the best episodes of this season, totally good entertainment.
Why didn't you post a better screencap of Sally? This is ridiculous. Meaghan is absolutely hot, show us more of her Tim, please.

What a cruel situation for Zoe : not only being locked up with a werewolf and a starving vampire but to save her live she had to help the killer of her first love.

This episode kept masterfully the balance between comedy and suspense. For me one of the best episodes so far.
The premise of the show is about best friends, a Vampire and a Werewolf who move in together in a house that happens to be haunted by a ghost they can both see and interact with....how are you expecting it to not get nuts at times. This show is no emmy winning masterpiece and it isn't supposed to be. Its greatly entertaining and probably one of my favorite shows on TV right now.
Weakest episode of all season imho. of all two even. why they need to waste all episode on sally crazy ghost excorcism thing wtf? I didn't even watch it properly i had to jump through all these silly painful scenes. this show is getting on my nerves( another stupid episode like this one and I"m out for good. and may be sally is great in underwear but somebody pls kill Zoe I hate this cow. thank god I'm watching Lost final season I've never watched before.
Lol, season 2 of BH is way better. But good luck with Final Season of Lost...that's not disappointing at all :p

I loved this episode. Like you said, this it was N-U-T-S from beginning to end. Sally, Josh, and Aidan were fighting hard for their survival this time, especially Sally with that alter-ego reaper inside her. I, for one, enjoyed the reaper storyline. It gave Sally a bigger edge plus turned her into a complete psycho-murderer! Aidan was quite the wuss this episode, but given that he hasn't fed in a LONG time, he was due to stray. Josh had his work cut out for him with Aidan drinking from him, then nearly dying from werewolf blood, as well as trying to get out of the house before "wolfing out". I like Zoe too. it's too bad she's been put in this position. Brave woman!

I love this show!
I don't know about anyone else, but the Aidan feeding on Josh thing had me dying. The faces he was making, the comments about racism Josh was making, and then Aidan's crack-like high that quickly turned into a horrible "trip" was just too much.

I mean, it was easily the second best part of the episode. Right behind Meaghan Rath in her underwear that is.
Tim you totally forgot to mention Sally, in her underwear. I mean it was only the best part of the episode, you could have mentioned it at least.

J/K, I missed those 4 times you touched on the subject. But I totally agree. YOWZA
your crazy! this was the most entertaining episode yet. amazing
Is it me or does Josh and Aidan whenever they have tension between them they seem to work it out in the middle of a life or death, and in this case death, situation. Man is Sally hot, purple is definitely her color. Also she looks really good with her hair straighten out.
Sally really has a killer body! It was nice ot see her in different clothes and with a different hair style.

I just think some TV shows are getting repetitive. The same ideas show up here and there. For instance, Sally is haunted by an imaginary Reaper figure, while Sam Winchester is haunted by an imaginary Lucifer figure... There might be other imaginary characters in other shows I don't watch.
also Aiden was haunted by an imaginary Bishop...also played by Mark Pellegrino.
That's right. I'm glad they didn't stick to that storyline.
I enjoyed it, but I'm looking for the war! I want the urban beast war. I want Aidan to go find a pair and set out to establish himself as Head Vamp. He's got Josh, and SALLY(key) to help. Get on with it.
It may just have been because I was slightly tipsy from a night at the club, but I enjoyed the hell out of watching last night's episode! It got rid of those superfluous "outside of the house" plots and boiled it down to just our three main characters -with a side of the adorable Zoe and that Reaper fella- trying to help each other out. And since that's kinda the plot of the show, the three roommates helping each other "be human", it was good to see that idea back in action. Josh droning on about the recent events in his life to an unconscious Sally was really a great character moment, mainly because he and Sally haven't touched base in a long time. And the Sally-"Scott" thing was interesting, if only because this whole season, there's been no build-up. That might be why some fans are having a hard time with it, because while yes, the writers did sow the idea here and there, it was such a complete blindside, that it left many people scratching their heads. Sally is a person who has no way to cope with being so out of touch, save for possessing people, but we've seen how that went. Missing her door for a world she shouldn't be in, finding out Nick would never be happy with her, the lie that was her parents' marriage -that was a story that totally fell flat but planted the seed a little more- all these years, her weird ghost friends who found ways to cope with what they were, all fed into her splitting her personality to cope. Someone who thought she was special, that she had a purpose. It played out beautifully inside Sally's head, acting and set-wise. She needed a reason to believe she was better off in the real world and that was knowing that her way of coping was doing more harm than good to her friends, and that the easy way out isn't always the best way. Back in the real world, that whole scene with Josh offering his blood up to Aidan was just HILARIOUS. Sam Witwer really does a great job of taking Aidan from serious brooding vampire to just a complete goober, who gets offended apparently when people call him old. On the serious side, "Sally" was able to bring up the tension that's been brewing between Aidan and Josh, mostly, Aidan killing those two blood donors in the apartment. It was a fantastic medium to bring up all the shit that's been simmering in the background since the season started. Hopefully, after this, now that the roommates realize they can't just keep going on keeping their personal lives a secret from each other, the show will get back to what made it great.
I hated the Reaper plot line, more so once it became clear that the Reaper wasn't even real. They did the best they could to get Sally out of her little bind, but it was a bind she shouldn't have been in in the first place.

I can only hope that they have better things planned for her.
I thought it was a decent season. It was about time Sally got an episode of her own. And damn Meaghan Rath is being wasted in her lame cardigan and PJs. Can't they develop a ghost power that she can change her clothes at will.

The whole Reaper thing was meh. I could go either way with it. Personally I would have loved to see her reap her mother and her douchey ghost boyfriend before they had this episode. That would have just been pleasing since those two were probably the worst characters of the season.

The whole Josh and Aiden grabbed in a ghost bubble with Zooey was kind of fun. For some reason I like Zooey's character. Despite the absurd you killed my ghost boyfriend and he was the only one that I have ever loved kind of lameness. But Aiden showing her he was a vamp was funny. Him crying like a little girl wasn't.

It could have been done better. But it could have been done a lot worse. I enjoyed it. But since Lost Girl is on right after them and Lost Girl consistently brings the funny they need to raise their game a bit.
Dude. So right about reaping her horrid mother and the boyfriend. How did those characters get to live, but Stevie got the axe?

Oh well. Since the Reaper wasn't real, then everything "he" said was a lie. So there's still hope Stevie's out there somewhere. Maybe he can come back as a REAL Reaper -- like Death in Family Guy or something.
Probably my favorite episode of the season. I was a bit disappointed at the way they handled the Sally situation, but the house parts made it all worth it. I found the way Josh reacted to Aidan not liking his blood pretty funny. "Was it not good for you?" And I got Indiana Jones 4 flashbacks when Josh tried to protect everyone by turning in the refrigerator.
The scene with Josh and Aidan was weirdly funny and intense... they started out with drama (weepy josh, palpable tension) and ended making funny faces and jokes ("Just give me a minute"), that's not an easy sequence either to write and to act... I loved it :)