Being Human: That's What Friends Are For

Syfy's Being Human ended its first season exactly as it should have: with an emphasis on the bond between its three main characters, a fight between two of the supernatural world's finest, and a cliffhanger that could shape Season 2. But it's that first item—the character bond—that really gave the episode depth.

Through flashbacks we learned how Josh (Sam Huntington) and Aidan (Sam Witwer) first met, and that set the stage for Josh's admirable behavior in the present. Josh was in a bad place before Aidan helped him climb out of his hole. Two years ago, the being-a-monster thing was new to Josh; Aidan, however, was centuries into his inhumanity and served as a competent mentor. In short, Aidan was Josh's only friend.

So was it any wonder that Josh was ready to put his life on the line for Aidan? To trust his wolf side to take down a powerful 500-year-old vampire? It was one of those friendship-cementing moments that have become too rare in television these days, and Huntington completely sold it with his flexible brow and soul-searching eyes. That kind of sacrifice and willingness to take of a bullet (or fight an extremely pissed-off bloodsucker) reminded me of another program's core: Supernatural's Winchester bromance, which makes sense because Being Human showrunner Jeremy Carver is a former writer on the CW show.

I love decapitations, vampire-on-werewolf brawls, and salacious storylines as much as the next guy, but give me a solid, believable tale of friendship that survives the toughest trials and tribulations, and I'm a happy guy.

We should also thank Being Human's producers for making the effort to change the finale just enough so that that those of us who'd seen the original UK version still didn't know what was going to happen. That said, if I'm going to play fair, I'd have to say the original pulled it off better. I don't want to give too much away for fans who might go back and watch the UK version while Syfy's is on hiatus, but let's just say Josh's sacrifice is more than a gesture.

Last night's spotlight didn't linger much on Sally, though she missed her doorway to the other side and consequently became more solid. But aside from one whiny moaning session, her path through the first season has been one of growth, much more so than either Josh's or Aidan's, and after all she's been through, she's giant-sized.

It's a bittersweet farewell for Bishop, who we came to know as more than just a jerky vampire leader before he was demoted to just a jerky vampire in the final few episodes. The sharp turn in his behavior, particularly after we took his side in those '50s flashbacks, didn't help us feel sorry for him in the end. He had to go—but I wish there was a little more oomph to his goodbye, because his character, and Mark Pellegrino, deserved it.

The episode's most unexpected touching moment came just after Josh's transformation, when he, as werewolf, sniffed out his lady and unborn son under the door. And while our attention was diverted by the potential were-baby, now lost (I believe), one of the season's biggest moments snuck in right at the end: Nora got scratched by Josh's claws. This is either a step in the right direction for their relationship or a major deal-breaker. Nora did seem surprisingly okay with Josh's secret, so maybe the two lovebirds will enjoy romance for every 27 out of 28 days, and one night senselessly slaughtering woodland creatures.

Being Human wasn't without its first-season hiccups, but strong acting, great production, and relatable storylines make the show one of the biggest (positive) surprises of the year.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

it was an awesome episode, the moment when Josh and Nora saw each other under the door got me, the are so good together. Also wow at the ending I can't believe she got scratched and we don't even know what happened to the baby. Also the fight wasn't awesome but another great moment was when they sat in the little triangle, that was nice.
So far I think the UK-version is much better because the characters and their bond feels more real, there's more depth and feelings in the UK-version.. though I like them both, I prefer UK's Being Human
Love this show both the UK and US versions, loved the season finale, roll on season 2, Have to say think I prefer Aiden's vamp!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just watched the season finale and still am not over it, goosebumps and heartbreak (Josh's sad were-face, Nora's scratches)...Well done...I'm not ready to wait for these characters to come back to us. Guess I will visit the U.K. vs. while waiting! Kudos to the actors who portrayed Aiden, Josh and Sally, they give you the buy in completely.
Loved, loved, *loved* this ep! I was a HUGE fan of the UK show but S3 lost a lot of it's glow for me and let's just say I'm not at all interested in S4. I have however been well and truly won over by the US version. I find (strange as this comparison may sound!) that, like Queer As Folk did before, the US version of BH covered the basics of its predecessor well, efficiently and with just enough differences to give it its own identity but has also successfully set it up to take its own direction in S2. Credit goes to Sam Witwer and Sam Huntingdon for making the Aiden/Josh dynamic all sorts of win!!! I do disagree a little with the article above concerning Bishop's fate. I thought that scene was wonderful in what it achieved - amongst all the fight and hate the dysfunctional love was still there (Bishop's touch back to Aiden's cheek and the resignation they both had) IMO the Aiden/Bishop relationship was far more developed and complex than Mitchell/Herrick ever was. Can't wait for S2!
I loved the season finale, I am actually happy that the U.S. decided not to copy right from the U.K. version its more interesting I think. Dont get me wrong i love the U.K. version especially since Sally was able to be seen but now it doesnt seem like your looking at the same show with different actors. Also I've seen every season of the U.K. version so with this finale they just changed a s*** load of stuff. Awesome keep up the good work!
awesome
It was a pretty good season finale. Agreed that George's depth should have been bigger. The wolf part you mentioned was sweet as well. Looking forward to season 2 ^_^
Great season finale. Aidan killing Bishop surprised me, especially since the UK version had George killing the main vampire. Great Job! So glad it got renewed for a second season.
I've loved Sam Witwer since "Gaius Baltar" shot "Crashdown" in the head. Coincidentally, Meaghan Rath's progression as an actress has been very similar to Grace Park's in Season One of "Battlestar Galactica". Started off a little shaky but just got better and better as the episodes progressed. SyFy should take note that this network needs more quality shows like this and less reality garbage.
wow you guys.. Being Human is taking some steps to becoming it's own being (no pun intended).. they still took the same storyline (minus the miscarriage) but they didn't do it exactly the same, this time the vampire killed the vamp leader instead of the werewolf doing it. however they kept the girlfriend getting scratched part exactly the same. i also don't believe the writers of the US not having seen past season 1 of the UK show since the wolf girlfriend got knocked up in season 3... if they didn't watch or happen to discuss it with the UK people then it's a huge coincidence. all in all i liked it, it was different enough but i still wish they'd go even further from it so it's not like seeing an a different version of the same thing
Loved the finale. I was really surprised they killed Bishop off. On a side note, I heard that the writers for the US version aren't going to watch season 2 of the UK version. Looks like people won't be able to compare them anymore.
Haven't seen anything of the UK version. But I have to say, I agree. Quite a positive surprise. I looked at this show and thought "Oh, geesh, another set of people capitalizing off the stupid vampire-loving fad." But I'm a huge fan of Sam Witwer, so I gave it a shot. I was shocked by the first episode and have gotten more and more hooked as the season went on. Well done, all around.
Love both the UK & US version ... though I prefer the originally (UK) version better ...

Can't wait for Season 2 ... not that interesting in the next season of the UK version ... since they did what they did ...
I loved the season finale, and cannot wait for the next season. Started watching the UK version today and while I like the British ghost better; I am not really enjoying the UK show... but I will give it a shot.
A great first season finale.
SOLID Finale! Love this show. The writing is great and not forced. The actors are awesome and hilarious. Maybe i shouldn't be saying this, seeing as though i haven't seen the UK version of the show, but i think after a great surprising season like this people shouldn't necessarily compare and tear apart the US version of the show. The US version provides a different feel for a different audience, it in a way makes it more accessible to North American audiences who aren't used to the british culture and language and shooting styles. If anything i think it is adding to the success of the Being Human concept, in a remarkable way i might add. They are paying homage to the original series at the same time branching out with more original stories. The actors are truly terrific, with amazing chemistry and visual appeal. Success to season 2! PS. Just watching Sam Witwer ,Meaghan Rath and Sam Huntington in a interview is enough to sell anyone on this show and cast, they are hilarious and extremely talented at their craft.
This show is really good. It's first season was spectacular and await to see what they have in store for season 2.
I've watched all of the UK Being Human series. I liked the way that they ended their season a little better.

I love the music and the filming in the US version though. I find that there is a lot less comedy in the US version than in the UK one. I've found myself lol'ing at some of the stuff that happens in the UK one.

All-in-all I have really enjoyed the US Being Human. I look forward to seeing more next season.
Go watch the UK one if you haven't already. It is good. :D
This has been of the best shows this season. I just loved EVERYTHING about it. And the finale took the show to another level. Absolutely amazing.