Being Human: The Truth Hurts

Being Human S02E12: "Partial Eclipse of the Heart"

In the end, it didn't matter how they got there, all that mattered was they got there. "Partial Eclipse of the Heart," the penultimate episode of Being Human's fairly flat second season, featured plenty of madness instigated by an uncontrollable force or out-of-left-field plot device (depending on how you look at it) that led to the season's most satisfying finish. Well, satisfying for the most sadistic among us, not for our heroes. Being Human loves to stomp all over its main characters, and all three ended up with size-13 Doc Marten boot treads all over their mugs last night.

Things started off as normal as they could for a werewolf, vampire, and ghost. Aidan survived the vampire ambush that last week's episode ended with, thanks to Henry backstabbing the other would-be assailants and then front-stabbing them with stakes. Josh had to come face-to-face with his worst enemy: Julia's best friend! And Sally was trying to reconcile with Zoe after she super-murdered Zoe's ghost boyfriend, Nick.

But then the moon jumped in front of the sun (smarty-pants scientists call this an "eclipse") and everything went topsy-turvy. Apparently our supernatural friends still have a lot to learn about being dead/lycanthropes, because both Sally and Josh were caught off-guard when the celestial happening caused weird events. For Sally, all the ghosts she shredded during her time as the one-woman Insane Ghost Posse reappeared in the same place they were shredded. For Josh, it meant an unexpected and unplanned trip through werewolf puberty.

The eclipse was a blessing and a curse for Sally, who used the opportunity to let Zoe have one last goodbye with Nick, the most sensitive ghost in all the afterlife. He wears scarves, for chrissake. Sally teleported to her crib, where Nick would be, faster than Zoe could bus there, so she got to ask Nick all the pressing questions (Where did you go? What happens after you're shredded? Is that scarf on sale at H&M;?) before Zoe showed up. And the answers to those questions were not good. Ghosts that get turned into green dust head to Limbo, where they're stuck, where they can see but can't see, where they wait for eternity with unsavory types. It sounds like the DMV (1980s standup comedian joke alert!).

But Nick, oh sweet Nick, he did something that made my heart explode. Zoe entered the room and got a chance to say goodbye to her ghost boyfriend (remember, Sally killed Nick without Zoe knowing). Rather than tell Zoe, "Hey! That bitch be crazy and she killed me and sent me to the Ghost DMV!" he lied and told her how things were awesome, which put Zoe at peace and made her cry happy tears. It was a bittersweet ending, because while Zoe thanked Sally for giving her the chance to say goodbye to Nick, Sally knew that Nick is somewhere sandwiched between two 300-pound slobs who smell like old bologna while employees who don't speak English call for person number three and Nick holds number 532,685,185. At least that's my experience at the DMV. Zoe told Sally, "Nick is okay, so I will be too. Thank you," while tears soaked her face. Eeek! That look on Sally's face at the end: guilt. So sad, but point goes to Nick who did the right thing for his boo.

Meanwhile, Josh was on the road to forgiveness with Julia's friend Chelsea, who was understandably protective of her friend after Josh literally (not literally) ripped her heart out and threw it into a ceiling fan where it comically sprayed blood all over the visiting British consulate and splattered against a wall with a thud. That is, he really screwed things up for her. Chelsea told Josh that if there's anything else he was hiding, he'd better tell Julia now because she's all in and any more bizarre behavior would kill her (not literally, except actually literally). Josh had already been thinking of doing this because Josh's maker Ray told Josh that Ray was able to repair his life with his family when Ray told them he was a werewolf. Two people telling Josh to do so was enough to get him to do it, so he was about to get the words out, when wouldn't you know it... he started to get all hairy and fangy and clawy. Nice timing, eclipse!

Josh immediately ran out of the restaurant because there was a no dogs policy, and Julia ran after him thinking her doctor skills could help out his appendicitis or explosive diarrhea or whatever it was that made him clutch his gut and double over in pain. Josh eventually got backed into an alley, and in one of the most stirring scenes of the whole series, turned around midway through transformation to face Julia and show her the truth. Naturally, she was horrified, and naturally, she walked backward into the street, and naturally, she got hit by a car. (Note to TV: Someone needs to come up with a new way of having characters get unsuspectingly hit by cars. The walking backward into traffic idea isn't doing it for us anymore.) Josh fled the scene, because, you know, he's a werewolf and all.

Later, with the eclipse come and gone, Josh returned to find Julia sitting on the sidewalk, which I thought was odd because she should've been getting medical attention seeing as how half of her face was covered in blood. And that's when she eye-pointed off camera and we saw Julia's real body, dead. Ouch. Julia's ghost door to the afterlife showed up, and Josh, in shock and with eyes all red, told her to go. But Julia couldn't leave without telling him one hard-to-swallow but important-to-know truth: "I loved you enough Josh, you just never believed it." Double ouch! This had to be the worst break-up ever. All Josh had to do was tell her the truth back when they were engaged, and she would have been cool with it. But then again, if Josh did that he would never have woken up next to Nora naked and covered in dirt and blood, so I guess that's a wash. Side note: I never want to see Josh sad again. I'm still crying (on the inside) from seeing that. Way to reach into my chest and squeeze, Sam Huntington. Great acting work.

But what about Aidan? Aidan doesn't care about eclipses, he's seen like a billion of them in his lifetime. Instead, he had to deal with Suren, who was acting more and more like a spoiled six-year-old girl every day and was jonesing for some human to use as a juice box. Aidan decided to call in a favor (or blackmail) from the Dutch and new leader Hadley, asking for refuge until Mother stopped being so pissed-off. Aidan used his knowledge of Hadley's cowardice as leverage to get his way, but after some really poor negotiating from Aidan (you had the upper hand and now you have to fetch them breakfast?), Aidan went to get Suren... and she was gone. She went back home to Mother because she's not cut out to be anything but pampered. Good! Suren is totally lame now.

Now we're set up for a finale that... well, I don't really know. Obviously Aidan has to have some sort of confrontation with Mother, but Suren totally isn't worth it so I'm not sure I approve. Previews of next week's episode indicate that Josh is going to hunt down Ray to get rid of the curse, presumably because his being a werewolf ruined Nora's life and ended Julia's. And Sally could try to figure out a way to save all these ghosts from Limbo, but that seems like an awfully big task to tackle with just one episode left.

Penultimate episodes always make for the best television, and "Partial Eclipse of the Heart" supported that. This was the best episode of Being Human in a long time.

Notes
– Sally has an interesting tactic of getting someone to do something for her: She annoys the crap out of them!

– Even Henry told Aidan, "Is Suren really worth it?" Answer: no. This relationship was never sold well.

– Ha! Teen Josh went wine-tasting and said the glass of water had hints of nutmeg and honeysuckle. That's so Josh.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

This was an epic episode full of changes. I look forward to seeing what happens next!
I thouth that was a briliant and thoughtful idea.... We all knew that Julia had to leave so Josh could go back to Nora. I was thinking that: what are they gonna do to end this??? So I was very happy wiht this finale to Julia.

Hello Aidan??? Suren is bad news my friend, you should know better....

As for Sally, is just me or her story is getting boring??
Great Review ..."Nick, the most sensitive ghost in all the afterlife. He wears scarves, for chrissake."

And great episode. I was totally oblivious and did not see Julia dead until Josh realized she was. Either I had a blonde moment, or Sam Huntingtion crying is just that fantastic to watch. I think it may have been a bit of both.

Looking forward to seeing Aidan taking on Mother! This was the best episode since episode 7, 'House Cleaning'. I am crossing my fingers that the finale will be satisfying.
Loved the review, DMV indeed!

I saw dead Julia a mile off, her sitting alone like that; that spoiled the scene for me since I just waited for Josh to cotton on...

Where do we want Aiden to go from here? If there's a showdown with Mother, should he become the Big Boss of Boston?

Whilst each of the three heroes had their various personal issues to sort out, I'm still missing some interaction between Aiden, Josh and Sally. I feel their stories go on in parallel but nothing they do affects any of the others.

Still, am very much looking forward to the finale!
I have to say, I didn't see Julia being dead coming.. so that sucks
superawesome end to a fantastic episode.

Poor, poor Josh ... If I was him, I would go mad or kill myself - this is guilt and regret for three lifetimes.

As for Aiden, Suren was, is and never will be worth it. He shoulda listened to Henry for a change.
Agreed! Great review and episode. My heart completely broke (not literally) for Josh! Poor guy tries so hard to just be normal and everything always goes off the rails. Good thing Plan B (Nora) is still around and loves him enough not to kill him to cure herself. In regards to going after Ray for said cure, you could see he's not the killer type in their first encounter. Doubt it will go well. Hope he brings lots of backup!

As for Aiden, I think his impending confrontation with Mother will be more about regaining his freedom to do whatever he wants wherever he wants whenever he wants and not so much about Suren. Although, he'd be free to be with a spoiled rotten (literally, once) Suren afterwards, if he so chooses. But you are correct, they never did a good job of selling either of Aiden's key relationships to us this season and so emotionally it doesn't seem worth it.

Sally found out how horrible Ghost Limbo is, but I can't fathom how she'd be able to fix things or save anyone from there in one episode. At least she was able to give Zoe some closure with Nick.

Agreed about the unevenness of season two. The first few episodes were borderline epic, setting us up for failure with the several less-than-epic episodes that followed. It's finally picked back up and really hitting on all cylinders now. Looking forward to the season finale next week!

BTW - wasn't that a total eclipse they showed us (literally, not a partial one)?
The writers have no qualms in using unlikely celestial events to move the plot on. For this reason it's full moon every three episodes. And now an eclipse nobody seemed to be aware it was going to happen. But I honestly hope this is the last eclipse they use in the show for a long time. What will be next, a comet?

Other than that the episode was very good, dramatic, intense. I'm so glad the show's diverting so much from its British counterpart. If you watch the British version, you can play a game. Take a tequilla shot each time someone says the word "tea". You'll get so drunk at the end.

But speaking comparisons, in the British show whenh George the werewolf half-transformed, it was a mess. His organs shut down and he died. In the American version Josh simply and peacefully reverted to his human form with no consequences. I thought that was a clumsy solution because going halfway into one's wolfness can't be a good thing for your body.

Julia's death was tragic, but look at the birght side. Hey, now we can bring back Nora as Josh's girlfriend again and she can become a regular! Josh seems to have no big problems switching from one girl to the other, even though he makes it sound very dramatic.

Now Sally will have to "live" with the fact she sent the other ghosts to ghost limbo hell. Will she lose her mind again because of that?
British Consulate? Were you watching last night's "Castle" on hulu when you wrote this review?
Such a good episode. I don't even know what to say! I'm glad Julia is gone, I never really was sure about her and Josh getting back together, and it thoroghly shocked me to see her die but I'm glad she got her door right away so we don't have to deal with ghost julia. Suren = not my favourite. Ohh man, this episode was crazy! I'm still in shock of the awesomeness.

"Hey! That bitch be crazy and she killed me and sent me to ghost DMV!" Oh I love that! Great episode and I was totally floored when Julia is seen dead... But please I hope this does not mean that snively Nora will be back... I agree about the whole Suren thing tho... The chick is not worth all of this hassle. Aiden needs to give it up!
Great episode. Now, how about a mother/daughter knock-down, full-fang fight to the end?? Either ending seats Aidan in a best scenario. I also wonder what would happen if Sally entered a vampire's body?? 1 big dust bunny?? Course, if she survived it would make a big dent in the upcoming "Dust Bowl" for Aidan.
This was sooo sad. Josh! D: Julia! D: Nick! D: I wasn't expecting Julia to die! D: They just found some happiness and... *cries* I can make so many "D:" faces, because this is how I feel right now. Great episode, definitely the best of this season! Also, I couldn't care less about Suren!
i felt so sad for Josh, Sam Huntington should never cry, it makes me cry :'( he looks so innocent
Nice review. You really hit all the points I had thought of. And your imagery was hilarious. However, technically if Aidan is 250 you can average about 3 per year so that makes less than 800 partial eclipses that he has seen.

But the plot device of the eclipse without including Aidan in it seemed kind of half assed. And as a reason to turn Sam into a half wolf and thus ending up with the death of Julia was kind of easy. It was heartbreaking and all if you are in to that type of thing. But wouldn't it have been just as tragic if she told him the same thing but still left him and thus leaving that open for potential stories later on.

The Sally aspect I thought was all right. She might have felt guilty for the scarf wearing ghost. But she had to have felt break about Nick. But she has way more fortitude that I. I wouldn't be able to resist ghost shaking Zoey and telling her that she was in love with a Ghost and to stop referring to him as a person because it is ridiculous. But that is just me.

The season thus far has been up and down for me. This was definitely one of the down ones.
Sucks what happened to Julia.
While I am not sure I agree that this season has been quite as bad as you think it has, I agree that this episode was easily the best of this season and made for some fantastic emotional sequences. Note to self: I never want to see Josh cry again, either!!!! Sam Huntington, you are good.

-Sally's good at that stuff.

-I have been operating under the assumption that their love story started out some 160 years ago and that's what Aidan's been working towards. Otherwise, yes, she doesn't seem worth quite that much.

-I can just see that scene in my head. Josh is great. Cannot wait to see him try and go commando next episode. He'll Josh it up somehow, of course.

Still love this show. I never thought that a show about a warewolf, a vampire and a ghost could be so compelling (also, I should probably stop saying that).
"This was the best episode of Being Human in a long time."

Couldn't agree more. Julia's death scene was 1. Shocking when she got hit by the car. 2. They actually did trick me with her sitting on the sidewalk. I guess I just had a brain fart thinking...oh I guess she didn't get hit that hard by the car..even though she got murked by that car. Then bam. They used that very, very well. I'm hoping Suren has something up her sleeve to deal with Mother, because I love Dichen Lachman and she deserves to portray a strong character. I loved that Nick lied to Zoey about where he was. I'm also very pleased with the amount of answers they gave to the shredding situation. Very strong episode. Although the Eclipse plot-device was very Heroes, but Being Human did it better anyway!
Ghost DMV sounds a lot like Crowley's version of Hell... Either way, neither seem like ten tons of fun. Poor Nick. As for Danny... HA! That's what you get, fool!

I have to honestly say, I did not see ghost Julia coming until the very end, which made the whole scene so poignant, since I was blonde enough to not see the obvious coming. Knowing does ruin the surprise and I'm glad that didn't happen for me. Seeing Josh flash those big puppy eyes sadly is just so emotionally heartbreaking and no matter how the audience is split on the whole Julia v. Nora issue, Sam conveyed with such believability how much Josh loved Julia, even as he was still torn over his love for Nora. I had to rewind that scene of Josh and Julia in the alley, because it was just so... *grasps for words* Yeah... As for Aidan and Suren, I look forward to that whole storyline coming to an end. I know the whole thing had to come about in his quest for freedom from the vampire hierarchy, but he said it himself, he can't have freedom without losing the perks of being in the fold, vampire dens, clean-up crews. If anything, Suren showed that for all Aidan's posturing, he will eventually break. Hopefully, his deal with the Dutch will allow him to have some modicum of carte blanche to live his life with Josh and Sally, while still enjoying the benefits of being a part of the system. Now all we can do is hope for one zinger of a finale, that leaves the fans satisfied and eager for season three.
I never thought I'd say this but I really miss Crowley....where the hecks he been on Supe?
first!!!!! epic episode can't wait for next weeks
Oh man, this episode was such a tearjerker. I don't know if it's because I just went through a breakup less than a week ago, but that last scene with Josh and Julia really got to me. Sad, sad stuff.

Meanwhile, Aidan's storyline is beyond "meh." I was over Suren and Henry from the beginning, really.