Being Human's Fantastic Finale Secures a Fourth Season

Last night’s terrifying Being Human finale left us ready to kill for more, so we're thankful BBC Three has already renewed it for a fourth season. But what how will it look after last episode's shocking twist? Well, for starters: "series four will see the aftermath as the housemates return to their home in Barry Island" and they'll be "new faces" among the cast.

Look away now if you’ve not seen the season three finale because we're about to recap and there's a huge, hairy spoiler to discuss! We tuned in to see if Stacey from EastEnders’ wolf-shaped bullet prophecy would come true. And it did! But not in a way anyone could have imagined.

So what will become of the trio-turned-quartet-turned-trio? Will Mitchell, who we saw crumble into CGI ash, find a way back to Barry Island and his fellow paranormals? Can dead vampires put in for a transfer to ghost status? And, most pressingly, how many more chairs will have to die in order for the remaining housemates to kill off those extra-specially malicious Older Ones? Has anyone else noticed how, every time a vampire needs murdering, there’s a flimsy piece of furniture nearby sporting conveniently stake-like wooden legs? For added believability, perhaps they should set series four’s fight scenes in Habitat.

But back to yesterday’s splendid finale, which was a blood, sweat and tears smoothie. Herrick finally remembered that he’s evil and so, to celebrate, locked Mitchell and George in the big dog-fighting cage. Elsewhere, Nina’s super-restorative body made short work of her kidney stab wound and she was soon back at home puckering her mouth disapprovingly and stroking her prematurely distended wolf baby stomach. Annie, meanwhile, sobbed non-stop but retained enough gumption to journey back to purgatory and have it out with Lia.

The only thing missing from the last episode--barring a flash of his buttocks post-mortem--was Robson Green’s excellent angry werewolf, McNair. But pretty much everyone else was present for the finale, which threw out enough craggy cliffhangers to build a new Dover. The biggest and ugliest was, of course: what will become of Mitchell? Surely, there’s no coming back from THAT. But then, if the next series airs minus its dark, brooding star then half the show’s lady fans will abscond.

Then there was the last-minute introduction of elder boss, Edgar Wyndham (Lee Ingleby). Presumably, he’s the lethal hook upon which season four will dangle. Wyndham may look marginally less threatening than an anaemic field mouse but all that macho boasting about how he’s considerably more evil than Herrick was pretty convincing. I’ll look forward to a full breakdown of his plan for world domination in a year or so.

Meanwhile, anyone with a thirst for decent supernatural drama will have to fallback on the tail end of True Blood’s misfiring third season. Which, to use a vampire analogy, is about as satisfying as week-old hamster haemoglobin. Roll on more of Being Human’s freshly squeezed A-negative.

What did you think of the finale?

May 08, 2012
I'm guessing that he won't be back since he's now beginning what will probably be a long film career starting with The Hobbit. Once more people see how amazing he is he is sure to land the lead in many roles. I really do like the idea of him later somehow making it out of purgatory and becoming a ghost to be with Annie. Maybe in the last episode they make they'll let us have that one. I love the show and have seen every episode, but can't see watching it without him. So sad to see him go. :(
Mar 26, 2011
On one hand I would love him to come back. I love Mitchell and I love Aidan Turner. But on the other after making a big deal about how vampires that get staked are truly dead. I would lose all respect for the show if they suddenly went back on that. The writing is too intelligent. I'll see if I can find the link to post to the interview as I'm sure Toby said that they didn't want to write out Mitchell completely but Aidan insisted. Toby is also the one who mentioned about Aidan being in New Zealand for 3 years but a) i might have misheard b) he might have exaggerated/be wrong...

Ooh! I found a transcript of the interview - my bad, Toby didn't say 3 years, he said 3 MOVIES. http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/03/13/being-human-%E2%80%93-toby-whithouse-on-the-finale/
Mar 21, 2011
@ankh49 firstly to point out I think it's unlikely that Mitchell will come back - it'll be trying to keep the viewers rather than making a good show - you'd be going back on so much vampire mythology although te older ones, to quote, 'haven't lived a thousand years and not picked up on some tricks' also just because he's out filming for the hobbit doesn't mean he can't do being human don't forget uk shows have long breaks between them - also 3 years? The hobbit is coming out in less than two years so doubtable also Aiden turner despite being phenomenal actor will undoubtably have quite a small role in the hobbit - I would say imdb it closer to the time to see if he's rejoined the cast for s4 but I imagine the beeb will keep that to themselves so let's all just waitand pray that he comes back although the show will and must go on regardless!!! Long live being human
Mar 20, 2011
As usual, the English version of this show is SO SO superior to the pale imitation the Science Fiction cable channel is putting on. I am definitely addicted, and I'll keep watching even if Mitchell is gone, but gotta admit...his will be big shoes to fill. Thanks for a great job, BBC 3!
Mar 16, 2011
It totally broke my heart, Mitchell is the reason I love the show so much and I am scared he is not coming back and I can't wait to find out if he really is gone for good its torture!
Mar 15, 2011
I totally teared up! I didn't think that George would do it :O Surely Mitchell can't come back, but whats to become of Annie the love of his life !?! Sooo Sad :L The show is too good to loose female viewers because of Mitchell's death, but just to be on the safe side, Tom Mcnair should stay and live with them to make up for the men to women ratio, or Adam the 46 year old teenage vampire, their both a sight for sore eyes! Great show, can't wait till season four is launched :D
Mar 15, 2011
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Mitchell is DEFINITELY dead. Aidan Turner landed a role in The Hobbit and will be filming in New Zealand for the next 3 years (Toby mentions it in an interview on the Being Human webpage)

I loved Ruth's remark about how the half the female fanbase would abscond. I was actually wondering if I still want to watch it without Mitchell as the other characters can be a bit sappy at times. I've decided to stick with it and see what happens!
Mar 14, 2011
Mitchell can't be dead he needs to be in the group for balance and to make things interesting. I also am enjoying series three of true blood
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe some power from the after life will bring him back as a human with no memory of being a vampire
Mar 14, 2011
I'm guessing either Mitchell will get to be a ghost and be with Annie, or they'll have a flashback at the start of every episode featuring some part of his past, no way he's gone for good. Great ending, roll on next January, Wyndham may look soft but if he's worse than Herrick it's going to be a fun time for all because Herrick was fing brilliant....Oh and I loved True Blood 3 it was a vast improvement on 2 and up there with Series 1, never heard anyone else describe it as misfiring'.