Being Human's Season 3 Premiere: LOL Vampire Flu

Being Human S03E01: "It’s a Shame About Ray"

And we’re back! When we last checked in with the monster mash, Sally was in limbo, Aidan was buried alive, and Josh was possibly—but probably not actually—dead. According to the writing on the screen, fifteen months have passed since everything went to figurative hell. Though you have to be careful with the phrasing when you write things like that about these kinds of shows; you never know when a character may end up in actual literal Hell. The credits also conveniently pointed out that Mark Pellegrino would be making an appearance, which instantly kicked the episode's awesome levels up a few notches even though his return was actually kind of boring. (Sowwy.)

While the seemingly endless setting-up of the plot for the immediate future got tedious, a tip of the hat is warranted for the pile o’ fake-outs that dominated the first quarter of “It’s a Shame About Ray:”

Fifteen months later and... everyone is fine? Negative, Ghost Rider, Aidan was just several jets short of a flight pattern.

Josh was put down like the rabid dog in Old Yeller? J/K.

Norah and Josh totes disturbed Aidan’s eternal underground timeout? Nope, just some wackjob in a tracksuit going on about some vampire flu. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

Actually, let’s pause and talk about the ridiculousness of the vampire flu that apparently conveniently (maybe) wiped out Mother and the gang while Aidan was serving time six feet under. The writers apparently meant flu in the literal sense, as in random-vampire-sucks-blood-from-flu-infected-human-and-dies-horribly. I’m not kidding.

Let me get this straight: These centuries-old, in some cases millennia-old, supernatural creatures who are generally pretty freaking immortal until you poke them with a wooden stake, can be taken out by the FLU? How did they ever get through the 20th century? I hear 1918 had a KILLER flu season. Did everyone somehow simply avoid sucking down the flu bug for the past entire existence of the planet? I’m sorry, I’m trying to comprehend how this plotline isn’t completely ridiculous but I’m too busy laughing my ass off. I mean, at one point, Heggeman’s old flunky, Atlee, actually uttered the line, “They get their flu shots and we get...*shrug*” Even the fictional character realized that his words were like something fueled by a plate of pot brownies, a forty of the cheapest malt liquor available, and the kind of paranoia that comes from indulging in those two treats while watching the evening news.

I’m confused, but I’m also intrigued, because the idea is so empty of common sense that I kind of suspect that that the vampire flu isn’t actually related to the human flu at all and that its correlation is pure coincidence. The Dutch were wrong about Aidan’s blood holding the key to their cure, so maybe they were just wrong about everything pertaining to flu season. They do spend most of their time hibernating, after all.

At least Aidan hallucinated his way through the majority of his scenes. We needed some laughs to give us break from Norah and Josh’s murder, mayhem, and grave-robbing angst. Mark Pellegrino, who apparently specializes in playing hallucinations these days, popped in as Awesome Dead Bishop to mock his blood-starved fledgeling as Hallucination Sally and Hallucination Josh bickered in the backseat. MISS U, BISHOP. MISS U, BEING HUMAN’S TWISTED SENSE OF HUMOR.

Don’t get me wrong, the idea of monsters striving to be humans, struggling with their innate destructive tendencies, is a nifty TV mirror to shove in our faces, but at the same time, tuning in shouldn’t feel like an 8am-on-a-Monday ethics lecture. It’s the season premiere—make me excited to be back and excited to come back next week. We have an entire season to watch Josh (or, as we like to call him in my household, “Werewolf Mimi-Siku”) get so tangled in his guilt and paranoia that we'll be surprised if he manages to get out of bed every morning. Ganking Ray appeared to free Josh from his monthly curse, but the boy barely paused to smile before diving right back into the angst ocean. Killing Ray didn’t free Norah because Ray didn’t make Norah, which is a total bummer but also kind of a no-brainer, and there’s plenty of time to emote about that later. Right now, it’s time to kick this season off and I feel like we’re already stuck in the mud, which is a strange feeling because if you think about it, a lot was accomplished in “It’s a Shame About Ray”:

1. Josh is no longer a werewolf! He always thought that ditching his curse would suddenly simplify his life, but with a werewolf girlfriend, an MIA vampire bestie, and a reanimated former lovesick/batshit crazy ghost friend, I’m sure he’ll find that that’s hardly the case.

2. Aidan is out of the box! He’s in rough shape and I’m not entirely sure how anyone is supposed to fix that if he’s all starved and incomprehensible and apparently all the blood ever is tainted and inedible, but even though that storyline currently makes my head hurt, at least the powers that be didn’t decide to drag his rescue out for an episode or four.

3. Sally is out of limbo! And she’s alive! Sort of! With a little help from the neighborhood witch, $2,000, and Dead Ray’s heart, Sally rejoined the land of the living with flesh and blood and everything. Suicide Stevie and Nautical Nick also caught a ride back. Any guesses on when this will backfire? I give it two episodes.

Being Human’s Season 3 premiere performed the two most essential functions of any series return: It wrapped up the lingering storylines from the previous finale and it set the stage for the coming season’s story. I just wish it had done so in a manner that didn’t have me staring at the clock every five minutes, wondering when this episode would finally end.

NOTES

– Atlee said that Mother was either dead or abroad looking for clean blood to feed on. I’m putting my money on abroad because dead would be a super cop-out. What about you?

– I like how Josh was all horrified at the idea of shooting Ray... but then he bashed his brains in with a rock because that’s so much less brutal and horrific.

– Did anyone else get to see that awful Being Human Subaru commercial during their episode? I <3 u, Syfy.

– So... apparently Ray was sort of resurrected at the end of the episode? Does this mean anything for Josh’s “cure” or are undead werewolves totally different from live ones?

– You guys, this show has UNDEAD WEREWOLVES. :D

What did you think of Being Human’s return?

Staff
Sam Huntington will always be Jeremiah ('Jam') from DETROIT ROCK CITY.
Oh My God!!! Josh is Mimi-Siku!!! hhahaha So never recognized that! Thanks MaryAnn:) Love discovering when actors I love now played in movies i loved as a kid!...... now excuse while i figure out how to get my hands on a copy of Jungle 2 Jungle
I agree with you that they op-out with an easy solution to Aidan problem so I'm not so happy about it! but don't about like the FLU, but something chemical made against vampires by somebody who knows the story...and Henry is coming? as Aidan's son I love him!! and love the actor...great witches!! more mythology just hope that it doesn't get too crowded with all the mythologies and characters..also hate that josh is back human... hopeful undead werewolf will make him come back to being a wolf...besides he's the one that gets things done..so i think he needs the strength so go back to being a werewolf..what if Nora bites him..how would that be..he made her and now she made him? hahaha LOL..anyway I like the episode!! and Sally with other two ghost in the body! PROBLEM!!! big time!!
Also, since everyone seems to be coming back from the dead..can Bishop come back too?? MARK PELLEGRINO <3
Hahah Werewolf Mimi-Siku....I totally think of Jungle 2 Jungle every time I see Sam Huntington too...
But back to the episode: I totally think this season's going to be a gongshow.
I did see the Suburu Commercial. I thought it was a nifty tie in. I also liked the pace of the first episode, it was amazing! I've heard some rumours that Sally won't be in this season. It appears since she is "human," her story has reached a natural conclusion. I'd hate that... I am a fan, and I want to see her wearing something other than those gray rags she's worn for two years. I LOVE that Josh isn't a werewolf anymore, and I really like the fact that if Nora wants to be free, she's gotta off him :-) He is one guy with a vested interest in not pissing his significant other off. Unlike the writer of this article, I think the vampire flu epidemic was a great idea. We see this theme in other vampire stories too. It makes the characters alot more appealing when they have frailties and weaknesses.

This isn't as amazing as "The Walking Dead," and it probably never will be, but its good television, and I can't wait for the second episode of the season. At least their trying. Look what happened to "True Blood." Never have I seen a once good series go so wrong.
Why isn't Ray's ghost haunting Nora? If Josh is no longer a wolf, then he couldn't see or hear Ray, but Nora could, and she was just as involved in his death. I think being murdered by a guy you thought was your friend and his girlfriend qualifies as the kind of "issue" that keeps ghosts anchored to the world, don'tcha? I would like to see the character again, because I felt bad that Ray had to take the dirt nap; he was a good guy and a cool character. Then again, his haunting would just ratchet John's über-angst up about ten thousand notches to the point of being more annoying than a Taylor Swift song, so maybe it's better that they didn't do this.
-Dear God, I hope Mother is dead. I was so over the vampire politics of last season it isn't even funny!
-So the flu things is kind of funny. Like on one hand, I always love the idea of the predators somehow falling victim to the prey, even if the prey is unknowing of the predators and the power they have over them. On the other hand, yeah, it's the flu. Tainted blood, this couldn't possibly be the first time this has come up in millenia. I mean think of all the things that have come up in centuries. Plus why didn't Dutchboy go wrap himself up in another cocoon and wait this epidemic out?! I know he's a coward and not the brightest bulb but c'mon man. But, if this means we can have a season where Aidan isn't hung up on a soul sucking female than I'm more than willing to kick back and enjoy this plot for all it's worth!
- So I'm in the minority of BH fans who actually don't like Nora. She bugged me all last season. Just not a big fan of hers. Nothing against the actress, she kills it with her work, I just don't like Nora at all. So I was kind of fuming when I heard she got upgraded to series regular. I liked it as is, with the roomates. The best moments of the series are when the three friends share the screen together...NO OUTSIDERS! But, I reluctantly admit, that she actually didn't bug me this episode. She was genuinely supportive of Josh, keeping him together, and never once did she waver on helping him find his friends, if anything she pushed him when he was ready to give up. Considering she only talked to Sally like three times total, and she kinda, sorta, hated Aidan. It's impressive. But I still don't like the fact that she'll be around, and sucking up screentime that could be spent on the original three.
-Loved the introduction of the witch. She was interesting and I like the exploration of another supernatural thing. I wonder what she gets out of raising Ray from the dead, and is he like a ghost/zombie/werewolf or something?
-I didn't think I'd like the fifteen month time jump, but they made it work. I'm also super excited about Sally. She's corporeal but she isn't, this may be the best story she has had so far. Finally something for her to grab onto, and hopefully it'll involve the help of her friends, because they have a way of casting her aside in favor of their own issues. I loved the dedication to finding and bringing her back. And I'm curious, when they said "Stevie Nicks" was back...does that mean they're in her body? Or in their own? Should be interesting!
Swing and miss, MaryAnn! I don't like the flu-thing either but for different reasons. Your reasons though are really laughable, I'm sowwy. Modern flu strains are much more refractory than the strains all the centuries before plus we now have these nasty hybrids from Asia - hooray! And who says the vampires hadn't any problems of that kind before? Isn't it strange that there aren't millions of vamps around nowadays? Maybe their secretive lifestyle isn't the only reason they are short in number ...
I think we swallowed much bigger pills on this show than the vampire flu. Don't know why you felt the urge to look at the clock every five minutes, too. ???
GO TO THE LIGHT, MARYANN, GO TO THE LIGHT
I used to love this show. Then I made the mistake of watching the UK version. Now all I can do when I watch the US version is to think of how watered down it is compared to the UK one. In the UK version they actually seemed like good friends. This one they barely seem like roommates, let alone like each other. Hopefully, this show will get better but after this episode I won't hold out any hope.
Guessed they got stuck after Season 2 and no UK template to reference. Maybe like the UK Aiden, our US "Aiden" may get picked up by Peter Jackson for Hobbit 2? :D
I didn't really like this episode all that much! I love the show but I have to say the best part of this episode was the review! Werewolf Mimi-Siku! LMFAO!
Would you enlighten me... What does Werewolf Mimi-Siku mean?
Sam Huntington's (Josh) first movie role was a movie with Tim Allen back in 1997. The movie is called Jungle 2 Jungle. In it Huntington plays a boy who grew up in the amazon and his name is Mimi-Siku. It is a very cute movie and Huntington is crazy adorable in it. The movie also stars Martin Short and a young Leelee Sobieski.

I couldn't make out of your review and actually not of the episode either but I thought Sally said or tried to say that Nick and Stevie were with her in her body. If so that's an Immediate backfire I would say.
Staff
That's actually how I took it too and I agree that it wasn't entirely clear even in the episode. I'm thinking Sally and the guys will probably keep it under control for a moment and then have a meltdown. Yay meltdowns.
This show is a joke. Only Nora's tender hotness puts dreamy smile on my face.
I don't mean to nitpick but shouldn't Aiden's hair be much longer? My brother usually gets around two hair cuts a year, he grow it out until it's annoying and keeps getting in his eyes and then gets a buzz cut, repeat. But Aiden had been in there for 15 months, his hair (and beard, my uncle can grow a beard like his in a month or two) should be considerable longer. However we really got to see Sam Witwer do some top notch acting, he doesn't always get to show off just how great an actor he is but when he does it's a treat, the final scene where he laid on the ground repeating "I'm not going to die" just blew me away. It really shows just how mediocre most big name actors are nowadays.
Staff
Hehe, it should totally be longer. My brother could knock that out in like, two months tops.

That finale scene was killer. So much of the episode left me kind of underwhelmed, but if anything got me anticipating next week, it was Witwer's final scene.
Totally agree, the episode wasn't bad but nothing really got me going, but that scene was intense, I'm really looking forward to what's to come.
The way I understood it's the vaccine that killed the vampires, not the sickness itself. Also the reason the common cold can't be cured is because there are thousands if not millions of unique strains, it's mutates all the time so it's not hard to believe the flu or whatever sickness people got (I don't believe it was specified what the illness was but I could be wrong) could mutate in a way that's harmful to vampires. Either way it's not a stretch to believe a new illness/strain of flu or the vaccine for the illness is lethal to vampires for one reason or another.
I agree with you. I thought it was the vaccine and not the flu that was killing the vamps.
Nora is so pretty.
As to the comment that since Aiden wasn't the cure and thus maybe the vamps are wrong in general...

Aidens human captor said that it screamed of desperation. Like AIDS victims in the wild thinking that the blood of a virgin can cure them
Liked it. Liked how they used Bishop and thought the Vampire illness was interesting. Didn't like the review...
Me, either. But I'm trying to be kind.
As for the comment about killing Ray... Ray was maybe one millimeter from killing Norah. So... Instinct took over
I'm ok with the flu bit. There's not just one kind of flu. There are many MANY strains and mutations. Which is why the vaccine doesn't always work. The vaccine covers like 3 strands that the scientists GUESS will be big items this year. If you get one of the others then you're screwed.

So. Some new mutation of strain that's toxic to them (or perhaps new mess we're taking) can mess with them. Heck even True Blood had a new form of Heppatitis
Mutation? Nah. Otherwise those who don't "believe" in evolution wouldn't "believe" in flu shots, either.
LOL - "Bring me the heart of a human" -> *Brings heart of a werewolf* - Good Idea Retard!
Staff
Haha, I actually wondered about that myself!
he had to bring back a heart of someone he killed...but I get what you are saying.
i thought the same thing! but i guess werewolves are humans first and foremost. But it'd be cool if this came back to bite them in the ass
I'm excited that they finally found a way to get Sally out of those grey clothes!
This is exactly! What I said.
LOL! I said the exact some thing. My first thought was OHHHH She gets a new wardrobe!!!!!
Staff
Lol, me too. I also thought it was a convenient way to make sure Josh could still see and interact with her even though he wasn't a werewolf anymore...for now. I firmly believe he'll go back to his monthly cycle by the end of the season.
I'm not. I love a girl in comfy pajamas

That being said now she can interact with people like the UK version
You know, any color but grey. It wasn't the pajamas, it was the drab color. And Yes, I know she was a ghost, but still, it got old.
loved BH's return. I thought all the characters plot lines were more interesting than most of Season 2, except Dichen Lachman, I miss seeing her on screen.

I'm thinking that Stevie and Nick (haha Stevie Nicks!? here) are all sharing Sally's newly animated body. Undead werewolves? This show has undead ghosts lol.

I'm actually interested in the flu infected human blood that kills vampires plot, I think it's a good idea to alienate the vampires' power.

Mother must still be alive. It'd be weird to build up the character for nothing
Atlee said she is dead.
he said dead or that she is across the pond looking for fresh blood.
Also that scene in the van while Aiden was hallucinating Sally, Josh and Bishop was really well done. It did add some comic relief to an otherwise dark hour of BH
Hey! They dug up three bodies in one episode! Count 'em, three! You don't see that every day.
This show was weird from the word go. Let this season settle down until we get the arc. Aiden will get well and find a Cure, Nora will be the schizo, with three people in her, Josh will freak out at everything. And maybe be turned back into a wolf if The Witch resurrects Ray. What? Not weird enough?
You mean Sally will be a schizo with 3 ppl inside her, not Nora :) Although last season Nora was acting like a huge schizo...
That is one possibility, that they would all share her body. That may be an interesting take on things.
This was an odd start to the season. I was hoping that Nora would have somehow magically not come back this season. Her plot line last year was bad. And though things have changed I am not sure it is going to be for the better.

Instead of a actual enemy, Aiden is going to have what? A freaking FLU virus, that isn't going to be a flu virus, that somehow ashes vampires. I would love to see how they are going to explain this. But considering the second bad character they ever brought to the show is now in the mix, The Witch, I am sure she is going to have something to do with it. Of all of the "monsters" that they have access to add to the mix, why witches, WHY WITCHES. Did they learn nothing from the utterly horrible witch season of True Blood?

Nora and Josh, ugh. When Josh was a Werewolf, at least we had the duality of him trying to deal with it. Now what are we going to have. Him pining after Nora, and watching her like a new puppy straying away from the newspaper. Come on. This was such a good show. I am not sure I am going to be able to make it through the whole season.
I never watched the BBC version, have you? I heard great things about the first two seasons, but it sounds like it went downhill after that. How does this US version compare to that?
I think they are two completely different animals. The US version grabs you a bit more, it is a bit more in your face, especially with the vampire stuff.

I like the increases in the characters in the US version. Aiden, up until this year has always been a favorite, if I recall correctly the UK vampires didn't have any of Aiden's powers, the whole mind erasing, and speed and what not.

I liked Josh's version of the werewolf. I thought he brought an angst to it that I don't remember from the UK version. But there comes a time when it is too much.

But both of them in the UK I think had more of a camaraderie it was more focused on them backing each other up and not succumbing to their monster. And I don't think the Vampire was a nurse, I think he was just an orderly like Josh.

Sally is pretty similar.

I am not sure either is better. They are both mostly watchable, if I had to choose I would go with the US version.

But the US version, I just don't like where they went last year. I think there was too much focus on Sally, and I really disliked the werewolf twins. I didn't mind the vampire storyline as much. It isn't bad, I am not sure I would recommend it unless you have a couple free weekends. There is better Sci Fi on the channel.
More +
Aye Mate! Looks like this version is the way to go.
I don´t think Atlee meant the actual flu. I think he just likened it to the flu in that basically every human has been infected by that virus that kills vampires. He even called it "a human virus". I would guess somebody with a grudge against vampires created that virus and released it into the world. Or maybe somebody actually modified the normal flu virus to affect vampires. Or something like that.
Staff
That would be cool. Are you familiar with the UK Being Human series? They didn't do the vampire flu (At least I don't think they did. It's been awhile since I watched it.) but they had the whole science angle going on for awhile and it was actually kind of interesting to take a step away from the magic and supernatural aspect of vampires and werewolves and other monsters and do the mad scientist thing.
I watched the first season of the UK series but then somehow never got around to watching more of it. Too many shows and too little time I guess.
But like you pointed out: it it really is the common flu that´s killing the vampires it would basically be the most rediculous setup in the history of TV. So I´m just gonna assume the writers weren´t all just replaced by the people who wrote Heroes Season 2 and 3 and have a little faith in them.
So I´m just gonna call it now: an engineered virus that somebody released to kill vampires. Probably by someone whose sister/brother/child was turned.
love it
I like how every other show Mark Pellegrino is on, when they have to kill him off for plot reasons, brings him back as a hallucination because he's just so delightful.
Staff