The 12 Best and Worst New Credit Sequences of the 2014 Midseason

I'm starting to realize that my purpose in life is to grade relevant new TV credit sequences until I am too feeble to open my eyes and drool out a lethargic, "C minussss..."

But I'm as healthy and spry as a 65-year-old after two heart valve replacements, so in the words of Game of Thrones' Oberyn Martell, "Today is not the day I stop handing out grades to relevant new TV credit sequences." He said that, right?

In this latest batch I'm looking at new entries from the 2014 midseason, with a few exceptions—namely, I've skipped over some of the garbage ones that no one needs to see again, like Surviving Jack's painful botch job. Technically that makes the headline of this story slightly misleading, because the "worst new credit sequences" aren't totally being represented. But I took a one-man vote and decided that it's better to save you 30 seconds of Christopher Meloni pushing his kid into a pool to the tune of Social Distortion's "Story of My Life" than to hand out an F while you think to yourself, "DUHHH."

Below, you'll find a dozen opening credit sequences from the 2014 midseason that I hand-selected and subjected to both criticism and compliments (and if you're a tl;dr type, a letter grade that sums each one of them up). Take a look, then name your favorites and least-favorites in the comments!

Black Sails

There's nothing like ornate sculpture to class up a joint, and despite the fact that the series itself featured a pirate wearing the latest in 18th-century sunglasses technologyBlack Sails apparently wanted to distance itself from Johnny Depp's grinning pirate caricature and a Disney-fied depiction of what was actually a very brutal lifestyle. This sequence successfully distinguishes the Starz drama, with close-up shots of a bitchin' stone tableau (computer rendered, of course) featuring ship hulls; symbols of justice, innocence, and violence (all of which intersected on the high seas); and of course, lootin' pirates. But it's the creeping ebony skeletons that bring the statuary to life—or death, rather—by reminding us that pirates' morality was all relative (were things so black and white?). Some of them just wanted to earn their keep and be free from the rule of a fat man on a throne, while others were merchants of murder—and both are represented spectacularly here. Add in Bear McCreary's addictive theme music, and Black Sails has one of the best new credit sequences of the midseason. GRADE: A-

Helix

You have to have watched/slogged through the first season of Syfy's totally weird virus drama to really appreciate the madness of this brief-but-brilliant title sequenceHelix was essentially a big troll job on its audience, purging logic and common sense to make room for odd scares with jarring cuts, ridiculous violence against rodents, and mismatched music, all with the intention of keeping us off balance. It was fun! And the show's intro, which clocks in at a barely registrable nine seconds and immediately whomps you in the head after some huge moment in any given episode's cold open, is an essential extension of that chicanery. Plus, the record-player slowdown and dripping black goo at the very end add the perfect hint of sinister humor. This intro tells you, "Hey dude, you're in for some wacky shit." And that's the truth. GRADE: B

True Detective

True Detective deserves nearly every bit of praise that's bestowed upon it, but let's pump the brakes a little on the love for the opening sequence. It's good, but it's not the best thing out there (as some folks claimed when the show was airing). This intro does a fantastic job of incorporating the importance of the Louisiana landscape by combing it with the show's characters through a series of double exposures, with the characters becoming windows into something more. And the prevalence of fire is fitting with the series' apocalyptic themes. But not every image is successful (a kid over a phone?), and the repetitiveness of the titles downgrades the whole thing. Thank goodness that the Handsome Family track "Far From Any Road"—which triggers a Pavlovian effect in my brain and gets me me all excited to watch Rust and Marty do their thing—is there to pick it back up. GRADE: B+

Resurrection

I do not understand this one, not at all. The broadcast networks have almost entirely abandoned the art of the opening credit sequence—they'd rather spend the time showing you an ad for shampoo—and may shows' intros are little more than 10-second interstitials (see Helix's opener for an example of how to do short right). There's an attempt at visual metaphor happening here; two instances of the show's title overlap and combine, as if to illustrate that even when one word ends, another word starts, much like life and death on the show. But all I see is some artist trying to make something out of the repeating "re" in the word "resurrection" and paying dearly for it. Look dude, if it doesn't work, don't force it. (Can you imagine if the show's title was Reregistered? The guy's head probably would've exploded.) Also there's a tree and some bubbles—possibly because of the drowning deaths that were investigated in the pilot? What is going on here? GRADE: D-

Believe

This mish-mash of imagery is designed to showcase the plethora of powers that little Bo possesses—including toy levitation, compass distortion, and flower reanimation (she probably has more specific terms for them)—and for the most part, it works. The idea that it all begins when someone opens a box is the ultimate nod to discovery, a major theme of the show. And I dig the cosmic background behind the text because I'm the kind of guy who loses hours staring at screen savers. The music is apropos, even if it kinda sounds like a girl with the hiccups. This is a really good first draft, BelieveGRADE: B-

Silicon Valley

Silicon Valley is was literally figuratively built by computers, so HBO's Silicon Valley—a parody of the tech industry—captured the boomtown feel by time-lapsing a city as it's literally built and destroyed by a computer. Sim Mother-F'ing City-style! And using real corporate logos, to boot. (Speaking of which, I'll never understand how the network managed to pull that off without a lawsuit; it must be a case of fair use?). As various properties rise and fall to signify the instability of the industry, this intro grounds Silicon Valley much deeper in reality than it has any right to be, a key component of the series' satire. And haha, a Napster balloon deflated. Take that, Napster! For added dynamics, the intro music changes with every episode; in the Season 1 finale, for example, a banging' Shakira song expertly extended a joke from the cold open and set the stage for the guys' presentation at TechCrunch DisruptGRADE: B+

Turn

There's a lot to like about the opener for AMC's Revolutionary War spy drama. Visually, it's a looker, with animated paper cut-outs that depict early spy tech (there's even a submersible egg thingy!) and nifty perspective-shaping layers. The theme song features the unmistakable baritone of The National's Matt Berninger, accompanied by the delicate back-up vocals of The Civil Wars' Joy Williams. And the little swivel of the 'N' in the show's title at the end? Hey, I get it! But none of this jives with Turn's solemn tone; the credits are almost playful, but the show is stone serious. While the many moving parts are independently successful, they ultimately feel slapped together without a coherent direction, like the Founding Fathers jumping out of a clown car to battle radioactive mole people (which I'd totally watch, btw). GRADE: C-

Penny Dreadful

This version of Penny Dreadful's credits, from the show's official YouTube Channel, is missing the text that usually appears over the visuals, but even armed with that knowledge, this drab 90-second intro drags like Frankenstein Monster's left foot. It's a collection of not-that-spooky-or-gorgeous images and stills from the pilot—a horrible offense, and any credits sequence editor who commits it should be forced to endure a year without dessert. What's more, it looks like it was shot last-minute, and at an insect zoo. The series itself is beautiful, but this... this is lazy. The theme song is fine, I guess, but the credit sequence as a whole is nothing but disappointing. Well, not as disappointing as Showtime's torturous intro sequence for Homeland, but still. GRADE: D

Salem

Call me a Puritan, but I always find it funny when a period piece has a modern theme song, and the intro for WGN America's 1600s-set witch drama is soundtracked with the rumblings of one Marilyn Manson, goth rocker extraordinaire. If there's one thing that I want people to know about me when I die, it's that I do not care for Marilyn Manson. But if you can get past the growls of Mr. Real Name Brian Hugh Warner, the visuals—muted, sepia-toned Salem Witch Trial atrocities, faceless zooms, and one freaky doll mirror-imaged against itself—fit the series well. I love the witch-hex text, too. And the image of dangling feet from a hanging is always a day-brightener. If the music for this sequence was full of shrieking violins, violent gongs, and creaking wood, it would've been in the running for an A. But the second Manson's voice infiltrates my ears, it's doomed to mediocrity. GRADE: C+

Klondike

Yeehaw! There be gold in them there credits! Discovery's scripted miniseries about the Gold Rush in the Yukon introduced itself with a big gold nugget followed by cool glimpses of dangerous treks and gold-panning techniques that morphed into the mountains of bumblef*ck Canada's harsh terrain. That's what the show was mostly about, right? Unfortunately, things get a little forced around the 0:38 mark, as tributaries transform into the blue eyes of a snarling wolf and the credits start rushing to get things done. By end, the visuals are no longer blending smoothly; what's with the barrel of a gun gushing molten lead—or gold?—into a cup that becomes a lady's cocktail? It all adds up to a completely average opening for a completely average show. GRADE: C

The Red Road

Sometimes the simplest palette creates the most complex art, and the two-toned color scheme of blood red and pitch black in this intro is a nice nod to the violence that lurks in the rough backwoods of The Red Road's New Jersey. It creates a feeling of hurtling through dangerous terrain that's nearly as exhilarating as riding Star Tours at Disneyland, and the haunting, piano-driven score adds mystery. Elegant, enigmatic, and excellent. I have nothing bad to say about this one, no matter how hard I try. But mostly, it just looks cool. GRADE: A-

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series

I know I just talked about what a sin it is to stock a credit sequence with pilot footage, but this is From Dusk Till Dawn, a series on Robert Rodriguez's fledgling El Rey Network about bank robbers who stumble upon stripper vampires. So I'm bending the rules a bit on account of these credits being a throwback to the ridiculous action shows and grindhouse flicks of yore. Studio-grade rock wafts into your earholes and a generic vector mask of the show title pans sideways—a lazy effect, but a necessary one to give this sequence a semblance of panache. And really, that's everything you want out of the opening credits for a B-movie television series. Perfectly acceptable. GRADE: C

Which recent new credits sequences would make your list?

Black Sails gets an F- in my book for blatantly stealing the conceptual works of an artist named Kris Kuksi without even giving him credit. Absolutely Shameful
All right, now i know you must be joking right?

In every article I've read about this opening title sequence, especially interviews with the sequence directors, Karin Fong and Michelle Dougherty (Imaginary Forces), Kris Kuksi is nearly always brought up as an influence for the piece. if you study the animation and Kuksi's work it's obvious that there is no copying or plagiarism. Kuksi, himself, was not involved in the production so no, he doesn't get a credit. He is what you call an INFLUENCE.

The statement you made about them "blatantly stealing the conceptual works of an artist named Kris Kuksi without even giving him credit. Absolutely Shameful". is completely unfounded and a mockery of the critical process, while completely disregarding time honored modes involved with the creative process.

Everyone has influences, for example my personal influences are artists like Stelarc(Performance/robotics/prosthetics/sculpture; Australia) and Orlan(Performance/Sculpture/body modification;France). everyone has them everyone uses them. Without drawing from influences, american music would still be stuck in the 50s, how many bands cite the Beatles as being among their main influences? and they aren't having their creative souls stolen.

I'm sure if we look at Kris Kuksi we could most likely say the same thing about him. Kuksi received his Masters degree in 2002, the year before I began my own.
With Kuksi being my contemporary and my being familiar with his imagery i can say with certainty that there isn't a doubt in my mind that Kuksi's work has been heavily influenced by the work of Korean sculptor Lee Bul (if you don't know her, look her up shes remarkable), influence breeds the occurrence of similarity. These similarities become apparent because art is about communication! We choose whhich languages we use because they embody the ideas and concepts we are concerned with disseminating. Our influences we incorporate. We grow, we adapt we evolve; we become more. What we don't do is steal. Just because someone influences you doesnt mean you owe them credit for your work, and neither do the artists who produced what is by far the absolute best television has to offer.

I have never been so impressed with an opening sequence! A Great show from a wonderful group of creative minds

I give it an

A
More +
You could say they... pirated it.
Black Sails has by far the best opening sequence of any show on TV except Game of Thrones..
Banshee = A
"Power" and "Halt and Catch Fire" both have really nice opening titles, IMHO.
I hate True Blood's intro. Always have and always will. The theme song is good though.
Those who kill is a good one - but watched the bluray of thrones 1-3 the other week and didn't skip the intro once :)
Salem: Tim so your biggest problem with this intro, is that they used a modern song for a series, that takes place in the 16th century? Even if they used a 16th century song, it would have to be sung by a modern singer or group. Since i'm fairly certain, they didn't have recording devices back then. ; ) I give it an A.

Black Sails: You're never going to let that sunglasses thing go, are you? They had sunglasses back then, though not nearly that level of tech. The series is somewhat a disappointment to me. I've only gotten through 4 episodes. I'll get back to it eventually, when i have time. But the opening i give an A.

Penny Dreadful: Love this series!!! But i agree, the opening could be better. C-

Silicon Valley: Though i'm not interested in the series, i admit the opening is very good. A+

Believe, True Detective, & Helix all get a B+ from me.

The 100: Straight to the point. It's ok. C+

Bitten: This series premiered in January. So i don't know if it counts as midseason. But imo, it's pretty bad. Sappy music and a love scene, doesn't exactly scream throat ripping werewolf to me. D-

I haven't seen Turn or The Red Road yet. I'll watch the openings the first time, with the pilots. I'm still waiting on The Strain, Dominion, The Leftovers, and Extant to premiere this summer. So i'll judge them then.
Silicon Valley's intro is the best, but I really liked Red Road. Makes me want to watch, and I've never even heard of it.
Whoa considering I have a pretty serious (or so my family say) TV addiction, I haven't watched any of these shows. Yet.
Salem is my favourite. At first i didnt know it was MM, still like it!
A+
True Detective is one of the best opening credits I have ever seen. The song is great and love the images. A clear A+ from me.
I very much dislike the True Detective intro.
I loathe the Helix intro
Sorta like the From Dusk Til Dawn intro.
Love the Black Sails/Silicon Valley intros.
I'm shocked that Turn went animated with their credits when they had such awesome sets to work with to shoot something original. The song is great, but the credits should have been amazing.
Salem is awesome better than a 'C"????? What is more cool than having Marilyn Manson singing your theme song and you are a drama best categorized as Horror -- NOTHING IS. (Ok so having Ozzie or Alice may be the only things that would be cooler.)

Brief, creepy, totally Marilyn, and totally appropriate. Just pound me the witch drums and lets get going!!!!! That sir is an A effort.

Pound me the witch drums
Witch drums
Pound me the witch drums

Pound me the witch drums
Witch drums
Better pray for hell, not hallelujah

I loved True Detective but had to mute the intro coz it was so drab. I appreciate that it fit the sullen tone of the show, but it was way too long. Totally love the Silicon Valley intro though!
True Detective..........it's not the best thing out there (as some folks claimed when the show was airing).

Don't forget, at the time, that the frothing at the mouth audience who dissected the show for almost the entire week until the next episode was on, and THEN watched it !live!, gave import to every aspect of the intro and the stills - e.g., the tops of the heads of the detectives were displaced in one picture, and the audience thought that meant both detectives would die. As they should have.

Sadly, the show turned out not to be as great as we thought, but at the time, the Northeast was snowbound by the ugliest winter in decades, and this show burned a hole in all our fevered brains. I read somewhere that MM might be coming back.

Big.

Whoop.

Summer is here, Matt.

But yes, the song was Pavlovian, absolutely.
Wh..what? True detective B+? Penny dreadufl D?! I can´t even..omg.
Crossbones, worst title sequence eeeeeeveeeeeer!!!
I'm with you on Marilyn Manson.
Helix's intro is too unexpected and funny not to win.
True Detective for the win.
Well deserved A minus for Black Sails.
Helix and Salem both suck because of the lame music sequence.
The Penny Dreadful credits are compelling enough until the 42 second mark, where the music drastically changes to a very slow pace and never picks up the adrenaline again, which is disappointing.
I'm really beginning to think credit sequences for television series are becoming a lost art. It's either a simplistic and boring intertitle (Helix, Resurrection, Believe) or an overly-long mash-up of imagery related to the series (Black Sails, Salem) or from the series (From Dusk Til Dawn), or both (True Detective, Penny Dreadful). Plus none of the theme tunes are all that catchy anymore. Does anyone actually hum or sing any of these? Haven't had an opening credits sequence that's impressed me in a very long time...
As much as I love Almost Human that narrated opening was terrible. Kept hoping it would change before the season was up but it never did!

After the cancellation I guess it never will either :(
I don't know about you (well, i actually do since it's your article and all but never mind) I really, really liked the Salem intro. Marilyn Manson's song sorta fits it and I can't wait for that song to be released. I was one of those people who couldn't stand his songs but I changed my mind when I heard Sweet Dreams. ( I still can't stand most of his songs if anybody cares about that. Nobody? I'll just shut up now...)
I'm a fan of Marilyn Manson and still skip songs when they come up on my ipod. Regardless, he fits a genre and he fits it well. The only thing that would make Salem's opening better would be to outright copy AHS and we can't have that.
The music in the Penny Dreadful opening makes up for the laziness of it in my opinion, it's beautiful, it's starts out fast but once it slows down it's exactly fitting for the show, now of course they should have taken the time to make a unique opening rather than use footage from the show (which I also dislike) but I love that so so damn much I don't even care.
AHS: Coven probably isn't eligible for this list. But since it is the best since Twin Peaks I'm going to stick with it.
No worries, that one earned an 'A' the last time we did this!

I am a firm believer in short credit sequences. At no point should the credit sequence exceed a minute (preferably around 45 seconds) unless a story is being told. The only shows that have done a minute plus credit sequence well in recent history (based on what I have seen) are Dexter and Game of Thrones. Both had a clear story to tell and therefore had to give a long-ish intro.

Based on that theory:
1. Black Sails: way too long, should have been a good 45 seconds less.
2. Helix: Thumbs Up
3. True Detective: again too long, it could have ended at the 1:00-1:05 mark
4. Resurrection: good length but I did not understand the credit sequence at all so thumbs down
5. Believe: probably one of my favourite sequences on this list. Gave a good idea of the show and kept things manageable in length
6. Silicon Valley: another one that I really liked.
7. Turn: Next time make your video available for other countries!!!
8. Penny Dreadful: I didn't understand this credit sequence either, it just blurred by and I dont remember a single image at the end of it. BAD!
9. Salem: ummm...No, True Blood has already gone there and at least True Blood had discernible and memorable images.
10. Klondike: I really liked this one actually. It gave me a good idea of what the story is. I must admit, I am curious about what the wolf and the cocktail had to do with gold panning but I need to see the show to figure that out. Seeing as it got me to this conclusion, I would say it did the job.
11. The Red Road: it looked good but I have no idea what the show is about. If those red lines formed some design that would identify the show then it would have been better.
12. From Dusk Till Dawn: It was average!
It depends...if the intro and/or theme song are solid then I enjoy a longer intro. Which just makes me sad when they shorten said intro.

Like Stargate SG-1... I liked the song and stuff. I even like when they broke the 4th wall that one time and had Samantha Carter hum the song in the elevator.

But eventually they shortened it to just a few notes.
I for one enjoy long credit sequences, because most of them contain great music, and those who don't are at least usually beautiful collages of imagery. They put me in the mood to watch the shows. Long opening credits I like (in addition to Dexter and GoT):
- American Horror Story (~ 1 min). Haunting sounds and imagery relevant to the show.
- Banshee (~ 1:20). I could listen to that music for hours straight.
- Da VInci's Demons (~ 1 min). While I'm not crazy about the opening itself, I respect that the music is so cleverly composed that it can be played backwards too.
- Shameless (~ 1:10). The music is perfect for the show.
- True Blood (~ 1:30). The one that raised the bar high for how good a credit sequence can be. The music and imagery are perfect for the show.

On the other hand, ones that I don't like are:
- Homeland (~ 1:25). It might support the tense and gloomy feel of the show, but it's not interesting to watch.
- Orange is the New Black (~ 1:10). Initially it was interesting, but novelty faded quickly. Now I just skip it.
Honestly, I hate openings for shows. Flash the name and get on with it is my opinion... but there have been some creative openings that have been worth mentioning. Game of Thrones has a powerfully artistic approach, Elementary's Rube Goldberg is inventive, POI's background knowledge is nice, but not much else really compares with a good quick flash of the name of the show.

That said, I really liked True Detective's opening. The song choice perfectly conveyed the quiet darkness and desperation of the shows characters.
K some of the visuals for these opening credits are rlly cool/ look good, however, im kind of disappointed when it comes to the audio for them. Idk it just seems like they are all the same generic sound track. Maybe I just have to wait for the sitcoms to come out cuz then the openings are more catchy
True Detective and Black Sails have a great theme song to go along with the credit sequence... which i think the others are lacking so it just makes the sequences more blah.
He gives a higher rating to "Helix" over "True Detective".... LOL!!!!!!
True Detective's credit sequence was the best part of the show for me. It was all style, little substance, just like the show itself.
Les Revenants is the best intro in recent memory.
It's worth noting we've never seen Bo bring a flower back to life, so actually, I don't know what that title sequence is about. We've got one unseen episode wherein it could happen, but.....I would rather it not. That trick died with ET.
I don't know either, but the title sequence is probably the best part of Believe.
Tim you forgot about Halt and Catch Fire... which is gorgeous.. and about the intro of True Detective your grade is bonkers... that one deserves and A
Oww.. and FARGO... just the soundrack and the simplicity of the word in a new background is AWESOME!
Black Box actually from this list Penny Dreadful is the best!!! too bad I don't have Shotime!! Salem is good but confusing with the modern music but then I would do an opening sequence from a show from the past!! the Worst is Helix by far!!!

I don't think he realizes the significance of the opening credits. Each image is a clue to events within the show, or an actual scene from within the show. Now that we're at episode 4 it's a lot more obvious. The tea cup falling was from the vision of Mina, the body being cut open is in the first episode, the wolves, ect. They're all clues about future events in the show.

Also I realize he was trying to be clever but The Frankenstein Monster of the novel was quick and agile and did not have a "dragging left foot."
I'm afraid I haven't seen all of these, but I'll go with Helix as a ludicrous opening entirely unrelated to the 40 minutes (or thereabouts) following.
I know you were trying to be clever but the Frankenstein Monster of the novel was fast and agile. It's only the Karloff film version that sulked around like a stiff doll.
Nice list. Despite a middling show, I still have a soft spot for Helix's opening. Perhaps, though, instead of dessert you should consider depriving Penny Dreadful's sequence editor of his Avid or Final Cut Pro. If you're really into the dessert thing, then maybe denial of Flame or Smoke.
I like TURN titles!
Honestly, I love the opening for Salem. (I even replayed it a bunch times just for kicks) Funnily enough, I always had disdain for Marilyn Manson, until I found out that opening song was his.
Black Sails is not only the best on this list, but one of the best theme songs to come out in the last decade IMO.

I really enjoy TURN, but I absolutely hate every single second of the opening theme.

Penny Dreadful has a terribly dull opening theme to me, not bad, not good, just dull.

And Tim is wrong about the Dusk Til Dawn intro, the footage actually changes from episode to episode as the series progresses on to showcase more events.

Love the Salem intro, even the music is pretty fun and catchy to me.

As for True Detective, well, for a show as absolutely phenomenal as this, the intro is an absolute disgrace by comparison. Sure, it'd make an above average intro on NBC, but this isn't NBC, this is HBO, and this is arguably the greatest new thing HBO has put out in a long time that doesn't involve dragons.

I agree. Whatever else people want to say about Black Sails, you cannot deny that it has an insanely good opener.
I do deny it. It was good on first viewing, but got annoying after a few repeats. The mark of a truly great credit sequence is that you want to watch it for every episode.
Your opinion is wrong. I want to watch it for every episode. Heck, I even watch it on Youtube when there are no episodes.
i probably shouldnt say this but I love marilyn manson so for me the opening secuence for salem is perfect
DUDE. True Detective's is like the best. Seriously.

I don't really have a list for this midseason, but my overall favourites include Dexter (The best ever in my opinion), Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead and Peaky Blinders. Oh and THE AMERICANS.
I hate Marilyn Manson's music in Salem's intro. Whenever I watch the show I mute the intro or skip it altogether. I'm a puritan too.
Load More Comments