Blog Spotlight: Defying Gravity Sinks To Earth Under The Weight Of Bad Drama

ABC debuted its space soap Defying Gravity last night, and our optimism that Ron Livingston could pull off the Astro-McDreamy role turned out to be sadly misplaced. Sadly, the space exploration fell flat, and the drama was dull. Spoilers below.

The main premise of ABC's new space drama starts off simple enough. Eight astronauts, four men and four women, are being sent on a six year mission, to explore the solar system and seven planets total. But the truth behind the mission is hidden behind the doors of Pod 4 and the mysterious Beta.

Read more...

Just bought this show on Itunes and it ROCKS! The most interesting show out there.
Okay Really? Canceling a show like that..how could you? They let a **** show like Lost run for 10 seasons and there were loop-holes and terrible plots and the **** mystery. This show blew my mind away and I really really really really hope they bring it back. How about you try this ABC..commercials!!
i loved this sci-fi, i cant believe there not showing it anymore.

I enjoyed it because it was something i thought that put you on the edge of your seat, and i couldnt wait for the next week to see it again and find out what happened, but now its not on i want to know how it ends.

please bring it back i miss it
I meant ABC not BC. Sorry for the typo.
OK it took a while, but they were setting the background. We have (or had, but hopefully not) a fantastic TV Scifi programme with excellent CGI. The plot had moved along and was maturing nicely. Why was this not advertised well enough? Do the big wigs at BC not like good Scifi?

This could have been the next Star Trek! It was supposed to be a poor show but look what happened to it!

Please bring Defying Gravity back!
Yet another good show cancelled. Who makes these poor decisions. As for the tv.com staff writer with the LAME comments above I bet you are a stargate fanboy. Defying Gravity was hard core CLASSIC sci fi good science and a great story line, grown up and mature, unlike the few of the bad reviewers that slated this series.
I like the show as well. Some wiseguys simply don't understand the fact that some people don't need brutal action, a lot of kills and blood&gore to enjoy a tale. But it's all about ratings, of course.
this show was wonderful. I NEVER saw any advertising for it, so I can't really believe ABC ever REALLY wanted it to succeed. I just accidentally flipped over to it during a commercial break on another show and was instantly hooked. I think I may have missed the first episode or two, but I would be really depressed if ABC actually cancelled this program. The writing on it was strong, the casting was excellent and the special effects were great. I just hate that we were hooked to this thing right as "Beta" was being revealed. This seems like ABC was hoping to combine Enterprise with Lost, but got Lost in the middle of things. I also don't get the feeling they ever really cared if it succeeded.
from one of the actors' facebook page on the show: they were told it has been cancelled and will not come back...
I think that to market this show as "Grey's Anatomy in space" was a big mistake. The show is very intriguing. The sci-fi is understated, but seems to make sense. It is understandable that the relationships between a crew that are forced to live and work together in close quarters for a number of years is worthy of consideration. The flashbacks through training to help explain those dynamics are also useful, although they could have been done differently - I always feel we are being spoon-fed and we could have made some of the required connections without seeing the flashback immediately before some incident or other. I hope that the series is extended and that we do not end up wondering what happened after Venus.. I guess CTV will be led by ATV's choice. The fact that BBC has just picked up on the series might help, but if we're left to what ABC's opinion of its lowest common denominator of audience is, I suppose that the series is doomed.
this show is so awesome! where has it gone???
Is this really the latest news? Because I came here to see if there were more Defying Gravity's episodes. The show is great! I really like it.
This review has many flaws. They claim to bring you the latest news, but fail to actually look up any of their facts. Don't believe this reviewer, I can't understand how they ended up listed under NEWS. This is nothing more than somebodies opinion. An ill informed opinion at that. If you take the time to read the comments on their website you might notice that they threaten to kick people off the site for criticizing their review. TV.com HELLO.... This isn't news!!!!
Wow, brutal review. My husband and I really enjoy this show. It is well thought out and entertaining. It does run a little slow, but it is intelligence makes you think which the time allows you to do. This is one show that we can't wait to watch each week.