Blog Spotlight: Dev Patel Makes “Last Airbender” Cast Slightly More Tolerable

As you may recall, M. Night Shyamalan’s film adaptation of the animated series “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” has been embroiled in controversy due to its casting, that is that the cast is primarily white while the characters are supposed to be Asian.

Well, now steps have been taken to remedy that as “Slumdog Millionaire” star Dev Patel has taken over the role of Zuko. Previously (and ludicrously) Jesse McCartney was supposed to play the part, but according to the MTV Movies Blog, dropped out because of conflicts with his touring schedule. Yes, we’re all surprised he’s touring. Read more

Dec 28, 2009
Well if any of you have seen the show then you know that Most of the characters don't look Asian anyway. I think Mai is one of the only Asian looking characters. And Dev Patel as Zuko??? I don't know if anyone else has noticed but he is rather pale as well as the rest of the Fire Nation. I just don't think that he is suited to the role of Zuko, physically. I mean he could have been the best choice because he's an amazing actor but I wouldn't know. I've never seen Slumdog Millionair.For all I know he could be great. And back to the cast as Asian. Aang and Toph are white, and Katara and Sokka have an Inuit look to them. Just saying that I don't think the cast must be Asian.
Apr 09, 2009
Dev Patel is Asian - though born in England, his parents are of Indian origin. He also has a black belt in karate.

The thing is however, that I have seen the show and NO ONE on the show looks like Asian, so I don't think they should limit themselves by selecting only Asian actors.

I'm worried more about M. Night, he has been making lot of bad movies lately. Hopefully this'll be better.
Mar 20, 2009
I would actually prefer Jesse over him because he looks a little more like the part. But honestly they both are not right. They need someone Asian, why doesn't Shyamalan just get someone Asian!? Has he ever even seen the show? The casting is a little ridiculous.
Mar 14, 2009
If u ask me the only one who can really pull it off is Johnny depp.
but well to be more realistic to the age we need someone who is really really confused kid. My hopes are not be high with dev but i have to wait and see if he can pull it off.
PS zuko was the best character in the entire series next are uncle and his sis then the blind bandit.
Mar 01, 2009
they better not screw this up?
how the heck is dev gonna pull it off? and Why the F cant they just hire the chines guy that did zuko the last time???
Feb 19, 2009
I Really don't like the idia of ether of them playing Zuko. Nerther of them has his inner pain look. Jessy McCartney is a goody goody playboy. Meanwile Dev Patel will always be remembered for his role in "Slumdog". Not to mention everyone in the fire nation will have to be Indian now. Not that that's a bad thing. Actually it's a good thing, cince pritty much everyone in the fire nation were's Indian clothing. Sorry for the rant. Just speking my mind...
Feb 19, 2009
i would choose Patel over McCartney but if they find someone else who not only resembles zuko but also knows martial arts, that would be awesome. until then, im content Dev Patel playing zuko..for now
Feb 13, 2009
I don't think that Dev Patel or Jesse McCartney are suited for the role of Zuko. They just don't seem right. If there's going to be an Avatar movie then M. Night Shymalan should at least try to chose good actors that do suit the roles. I am looking forward to the movie, but only because I am a giant Avatar fan and I want to see if M. Night Shymalan has completely mucked up.