Blog Spotlight: It's official: Guiding Light is canceled

The die was cast today. CBS canceled Guiding Light, the longest running TV program still on the air. The soap opera will cease broadcasting on Friday, September 18, 2009.

As I wrote the other day, the prospects looked grim for Guiding Light, and apparently my idea of letting the show continue until it reached its 75th anniversary (three years from now) was only popular with fans. I heard from many the past couple of days. They, like me, are sorry to see Guiding Light come to an end. Read More

Sep 14, 2009
this bull every show i like u seem to take it off because the young dont watch well i been watching for 47 years i never turn this channel , now you take another good show , well your ratings will really go down if you dont put guiding light back on we all are now paying for tv so put our dam show back on and leave them alone julie form sav ga
Sep 10, 2009
I also have been watching this show forever. It is the BEST DAYTIME SOAP I have ever seen. So please don't cancel it, i tape it everyday so i don't miss a moment of it. SO PLEASE DON'T CANCEL IT.
Aug 17, 2009
add a commentI've watched GL since I was a small child. Mom and I would watch every day. She would tell me what happened while I was in school.I lost Mom in '99 I still watch GL. I now drive a school bus but record it every day. My 13 yr. old granddaughter watches so now we both watch after school. This show these people are part of my life and many of my friends. We call each other and say "did you see that?" Please do not this show from us it helps us get away from our problems for a little while everyday. The talk shows, realty shows, game shows, ect are not interesting. I pay for dish network and have lots of other things that I could watch but everyday I start watching the soaps on CBS ONLY from start to finish, Y&R, B&B, ATWT, GL. Again PLEASE DO NOT take this from us!!!!!!! LOYAL WATCHER PAT
May 27, 2009
Ive been watching Guiding Light since i was little with my grandma i think its the best for the past 20 yrs of watching i have seen people come and go but thats a show that would never die.Every story and everyone through the years are the best and id do watever to help keep it going. Guiding Light will never die.
Apr 17, 2009
I have been watching GUIDING LIGHT every day since 1988.

Never before I have seen such a dedicated and talented cast. From seeing them take time out of their personal lives to help out needy families and children after a hurricane, to even making the best out of filming GL scenes outdoors when the sets became limited due to the downtown in the economy. They are all truly amazing and inspirational to me. Remember the former GL contest/question “What’s Your Light?” Well I can definitely say that my Light for the last 21 years has been watching GUIDING LIGHT! Not having any family of my own nearby the show and cast became in a sense like family to me. I’ve always looked forward to tuning in for each episode. I hope that CBS or a different network can continue with GL after September and not let this wonderful longest running Soap disappear. GL has made a positive impact in my life and I would really hate to see it go. Carol G.
Apr 17, 2009
USA TODAY is doing a poll on TV shows people would like saved. Go there and take the poll and write in GUIDING LIGHT. It's a chance to get our point heard in one of our nations largest newspapers. http://www.usatoday.com/life/t

elevision/news/2009-04-15-sav e -our-shows_N.htm?loc=intersti t ialskip I don't know how long you will be able to do this so try to do it right away. I have done it and it doesn't take long. Scroll down to the section that says SAVE OUR SHOWS and then click on Cast your vote in our survey Also, please go to the comments section and recommend all GUIDING LIGHT related comments. From the main "Save Our Shows" page, just under the headline "Save Our Shows: New series cloud renewal picture,click on comments. Add a comment about Guiding Light and read through the rest of the comments. Click on RECOMMEND for all comments supporting GUIDING LIGHT. You may have to register at USA Today to do this, but it's easy and quick. After registering, you'll get an email from them and you will need to click a link in the email to confirm your registration. It really doesn't take long and it's so worth doing. This is bringing national attention to our cause. Please spread the word.
Apr 13, 2009
I can't bear to think about what I'll do without the Lewis' & the Spauldings and the rest of Springfield to watch. It's just not right. I can't believe that CBS would do this. Guiding Light is even nominated for multiple awards. I'd really like to know what they think they are going to replace it with? Some drival like Dr. Phil or some lame a** game show?? The CBS people are truly idiots and don't have a clue what fans like.
Apr 07, 2009
Please CBS rethink this decision. 75 years is just around the corner please at least hold on for that!!!
Apr 07, 2009
It is absolutely a crime to take this show off the air!!! It is the only show I watch and just thinking about not being able to watch it brings tears to my eyes. I feel like I am loosing a whole addition to my family. From adjusting to the time changes and putting up with the poor producing I am just not ready to say goodbye to guilding light, it is one of the only things I look forward to when I wake up in the morning! It is simply a crying shame.
Apr 05, 2009
Oh my God!! What? Guiding Light to be snuffed out like a candle? I just can't believe it!! I love this show and have been watching it for 29 years!!! What will I do with my time? Yes, I agree with the other viewers that the story lines have been poor... very poor.... for example: Harley would NEVER have just left Springfield... She positively would have been at Coop's funeral.. So why not hire some new writers? They could have hired ME!! I would have done a much better job!! Fire the present ones!! And I have absolutely hated the "reality" type filming!!!!!!!! This really SUCKED!!!! but what can I say? I am a TRUE Guiding Light fan and I am SO DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!! I will miss all the characters like Reva, Josh, Alan, Billy, etc........I send all my best wishes to all the cast!!! They were great!! They brought me 29 years of entertainment!! I will miss all of you SO MUCH!!!! Love you all!!!!!
Apr 05, 2009
Apr 03, 2009
PLEASE, PLEASE do not take this program off!!!!!! Look Guiding Light is also leading Daytime Emmy nominations!!! Please THINK!!!!! NO, NO
Apr 02, 2009
PLEASE DONT CANCEL GUIDINGLIGHT WE ARE A 5 GENERATION FAMILY THAT HAS WATCHED GUIDINGLIGHT MY GRANDMOTHER, MY MOTHER, ME, MY DAUGHTER, AND GRANDDAUGHTER. PLEASE I AM PLEADING WITH YOU DONT TAKE IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU
Apr 02, 2009
NO, NO, PLEASE NO!!! NO MORE LIZZIE AND BILL, OR OLIVIA AND NATALIA, REVA AND JEFFERY!!! THIS IS THE ONLY SOAP I LIKE!! WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT IT???
Apr 02, 2009
Today I have had one of those days and then to come to find out after many years of watching growing with each char. not only watching the show but feeling it I never would have thought in a million year that this would happen please dont let this happen . cbs you are nuts to let this happen Is there a way to stop this from happening . any ideas. I am there to help . First writing everyone i can in hopes this will help
Apr 02, 2009
i agree with those who are generation guiding lighters im a third generation and now my daughters watch it. i hope that someone else picks up the show and they continue to rack up the grammy's for another network. that would serve them right!!!! although it would be hard to watch it on another station, they all seem so fake. GOOD LUCK Guiding Light, im sure we will be watching you somewhere.
Apr 01, 2009
This is so depressing. I'm going to miss all my "families" :(
Apr 01, 2009
Wow, why? I don't get it either. Are soaps going away? We don't need more talk shows or infomercials......geez!

Where will all these fine actors go? What a great cast and the storyline always takes me away from my own problems with life......I forget my own for awhile....;) I think whoever made this decision should rethink it.
Apr 01, 2009
The Guiding Light is my favorite soap opera. I don't understand how CBS can just drop it like this. I am 51 years old and have watched this show for as long as I can remember. I watched this show with my mother when i was very small and my children have watched it with me since they were small. There are so many good things going on now, especially with Phillip, Shane, and Edmond back on the show. When I work, I tape it and watch it at night. Please dont take it off and put some blame talk show on. I will miss it very much. This is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenda Campbell--TN
Apr 01, 2009
Well, I hate to admit it but I have become increasingly disappointed

with the writing lately and the ideas aren't fresh and well written. Just the other day I said, didn't Olivia have a heart transplant?

Where's the SCAR!! She wore a very low cut V-neck dress on Friday's

show and there was no scar!! Come ON! Did you think we all forgot

she's got GUS's heart in there? Things like that have been happening

too often on that show. I think they gave up on the show long before

the fans did... I kept watching and hoping there would be a

turn-a-round. When Grant came back as Philip, I thought, "hey, now

maybe we'll start getting some good plots going" but the opportunity

came and went. It was okay, but not good enough to keep me on the

edge of my seat. 72 years is a long run... wish they could have made

it to 75 years but that would be trying my patience too as I was also

losing hope and when I was on vacation for a week, I didn't watch the

show at all...that's how much I have lost interest...but I still

record it everyday and watch it most of them. Now on my dog's

birthday, LOL!! on Sept 18th, will be the final curtain call. I sure

hope that they at least go out with a bang and not a pin drop.

I will certainly miss the Coopers, Lewis', and even the Spauldings and all the others who are part of the lives of Springfield we watch 5 days a week. I'll miss hearing "I'll have a Buzz Burger" almost every time there is a scene at Company. Good luck to all the cast and crew!! I wish you all the best in future endeavors.
Apr 01, 2009
I hope this is an April Fools joke! Say it isn't true. I have watched this show for over 40yrs. The GL is one of the best soaps on TV. Is there anything that can be done to stop this? Daytime tv won't be the same. I think Philips return, Reva's cancer & pregnancy, and the other storylines are great. It is a very sad day for all GL watchers.