Boardwalk Empire: A Thrilling Conclusion to an Uneven Season

There are major spoilers in here. If you haven't finished watching Season 2, be smart and don't read on.

I don’t know if I’m ever going to love Boardwalk Empire as much as I’m supposed to. Maybe it’s just not for me. Maybe it’s seriously overrated. (And because I trust my own opinions, I’m going to go ahead and say it’s the latter.) But I won’t deny how thrilling the last few episodes of Season 2 have been—to say that this series takes risks is something of an understatement.

But are they the right risks? And do Boardwalk Empire’s “holy crap” moments make up for what was ultimately a meandering, unfocused second season?

Don’t get me wrong—I think Boardwalk Empire is a fine show. For me, it’s just on the lower end of the glossy cable drama quality spectrum. Boardwalk Empire is more The Walking Dead than Breaking Bad: Both series are about the slow burn, but while Breaking Bad pays off for its audience, Walking Dead doesn’t quite get there with its last-minute bursts of violence. I’d also say that Boardwalk Empire is more True Blood than Game of Thrones: Both series have nearly too many characters to keep track of, but the latter is far more successful at ensuring each of its players is fully realized and sympathetic.

This season of Boardwalk Empire has frustrated me even more than the first, combining the same elements of The Walking Dead and True Blood that often make those otherwise entertaining series a chore. I am not an impatient viewer and I am willing to ride out a well-paced show, as long as I’m going to arrive at an exciting and unexpected destination. But Boardwalk Empire’s second season had too many characters and too many plots: How satisfying can a show be when there is this much going on? I’ve never had much faith in the show’s end game, because thus far, the writers have consistently showed a head-scratching lack of restraint.

And regardless of how everything pans out, the “too many balls in the air” issue makes individual episodes of the series bothersome. I’ll admit that the complexities of the plot are sometimes lost on me, but I don’t mind being challenged by a show. My problem is that Season 2 flitted around too much for me to bother caring about what I didn’t entirely understand—as soon as I got a handle on one plotline, another popped up. What’s especially annoying is that these diversions took away from the stories that were worth addressing: Angela’s relationship with Richard Harrow, and the family Margaret left behind, to name a couple.

But yes, the last few episodes, culminating in last night’s season finale, have done plenty to draw me in: major character deaths, long-overdue plot resolution, incest. (No, really. Incest!) Though I’m being rather hard on Boardwalk Empire, I must acknowledge how exciting and genuinely surprising these episodes have been. For the first time in a long while, the series wowed me, and that’s no small feat. When you watch as much TV as I do, it can sometimes feel like you’ve seen it all before, which is why those legitimate shockers are so satisfying.

Maybe that’s why I set out to write a more positive review of Boardwalk Empire than this. If I just think about the season finale and the couple episodes that preceded it, I’m inclined to extol its virtues. But taken as a whole, I still think Season 2 fell short.

More to the point, I’m less excited than ever about Season 3. While I admire Boardwalk Empire’s for killing off Jimmy—so soon after getting rid of Angela—I have serious reservations about what’s next. Jimmy and Angela were two of the show's most compelling characters, and their development this season has been a major asset to the series. I understand why they had to go (particularly Jimmy, given his unforgivable turn against Nucky), but I don’t like it. Not just because it’s a bummer, but because it doesn’t bode well for Boardwalk Empire’s future.

If I’m missing something fundamental to full enjoyment of the series, I guess that’s on me. But with Jimmy, I at least had a favorite character to latch onto—and I don’t think I’m the only one. While killing Jimmy may have served the story, it didn’t serve the series. To me, it was a reminder that shows must both take risks and play to their strengths. It’s not all about the jaw-dropping moments: It’s just as much what comes after. And given Season 2’s unevenness, I’m not incredibly eager to see what that is.

What did you think of Sunday's finale? What's your opinion of Season 2 overall? Will you return for Season 3?

We want revenge. I'd love to see half-face on a killing spree througout season 3. Kill'em all.
i just want to remind you all that this show is working with history, they can't change it.. if some one died in history he'll die in the series too... that's why you won't see a black president or flying cars in the show..
Who the hell is Waxey Gordon and why should I care?!
The biggest mistakes with season two were creating a conflict between Nucky and Jimmy that could not be resolved without killing Jimmy and giving Margaret such a dreadful storyline concerning the sick kid, religious zealot, and cheating on Nucky.

The writers should have stayed on the road that made her Nucky's strong silent partner instead of where she ended the season.

Another mistake was stripping Nuck of his power for most of the season because the appeal of season one was his role as power broker in Atlantic City and New Jersey. Weakness did not suit him.
If you feel overwhelmed by number of characters and plots in Boardwalk Empire, maybe you should stick to simpler shows, like Breaking Bad you mentioned, it is a really good show in it's simplicity. Game of thrones is a whole different league, I don't know if you read the books, but multiplicity of characters in ASOIAF is very difficult to comprehend. I bet that screenwriters of the show will make it more edible for an average Joe, but still good enough for book series fans, like they did the first part.

As for Boardwalk season final, I have to agree that killing Jimmy might be a shock and disappointment for most of the viewers. However his story was a classic Greek tragedy and it couldn't have finished more appropriately than it did. If his incestuous relationship didn't abate your sympathies toward him, you can forgive Nucky ill-doings in a forthcoming season.
I can honestly say I like the show but cannot seem to follow it half the time. Its one of those shows that you have to be glued to the screen and have a good memory for characters and side plots. I have seen shows which I perfectly understood then there are shows that leave me in a haze. For some reason my DVR didn't record the season finally. I am not mad as I have lost interest in the show because of the need to watch and remember every little nuance . I doubt if I will buy the series when it appears maybe I will wait for a the paragraph summary or hell who cares.
I'm so with you, Peitzman - when Nucky dealt off Jimmy, my first reaction wasn't "OMG!", but "... Now what?" I used to care about the Thompsons brothers and Margaret, but after this season, they're all so unlikable, I cannot see myself rooting for any of them... actually, except for Richard, I cannot see myself giving a damn about anyone. My only two questions from this point on, is: is there going to be any retaliation for Jimmy's murder and who's going to dealt it - Richard or Gillian? Except for that, I don't really care about any plot for season 3. I'm telling you, we are going to miss Michael Pitt - in my book, he was the heart of this series.
I haven't seen the season finale yet. Evene after reading these posts I still plan on watching it. What with Jimmy dead, I'm surprised they didn't kill off Mommy Dearest (Gretchen Moll). Her relationship with Jimmy made me uncomfortable from time to time. That said, I think Producers and viewers would have seen her gone for her transgressions, don't you now. If not yet, maybe later. I also want to see Margaret get settled with a good guy (not a wise guy) and find a home for her kids. She's been through enough. Get rid of the IRA handyman, too. He's nothing more than a player.
Boy, talk about uneven and hard to follow! I'm not talking about Boardwalk Empire - I'm talking about this review. The title of this review is, "A thrilling conclusion to an uneven season". The review meandered about, talking about uneven things unevenly, and hardly wrote ANYTHING about what happened in the season finale - how it happened, who did what to whom, what the twist at the end that he didn't care for, or anything. This is not a review of this episode, it is the writer's personal feelings about this whole season.

OK - it could have been concluded with a summary paragraph telling us how unsatisfying this season was to the reviewer, AFTER he wrote a recap of what happened in this episode. Some folks don't get to see the show, and look for the recap to stay in the loop.

Maybe this reviewer is overrated.
Jimmy was definitely my favourite character, I understand the friction with him and Nucky and there had to be consequences but now that he's gone I think that just leaves a really big hole in the show. A hole which, I hope, does not get filled by Margaret Schroeder, possibly the most annoying character on the show, that woman needs to go in a big way.
Jimmy is now one of the most memorable characters in TV history. The show he's in, though, is utterly forgettable.

While we'll all be tuned in for next season's first episode, if they fail to introduce a new and compelling character, the shows end will be just as quick and painful as Jimmy's.
"Jimmy is now one of the most memorable characters in TV history." Really?

He is not even in the top 500. Wow! I guess the bar is REALLY set low these days!

Laverne and Shirley are more memorable than this pretty vanilla, recycled character, and the actor who played him, whomever , HE is.
Wait, did you just compare Boardwalk Empire, one of the best shows on TV, to True Blood? Seriously? How shitty is your taste in TV?
I... am... devastated.

That is all.
Even if some people are angry for Jimmy gone, series accomplished the goal and everyone will watch BE next season to see what happens. Many waiting some action from Capone I guess :)

For me if Jimmy didn't killed by Nucky I will see the series as commercial comedy and stop watching next season. They are not afraid to kill a very well developed and loved character because of rating considerations.Even SOA finale was not bad, nobody expected not to have bloddy finale, especially for SOA it was surprising. I think next season premiers for both will be top class.
I'm so conflicted. On one hand we have a show that had great episodes leading up to the somewhat disappointing finale (Sons of Anarchy), who in my opinion didn't have the balls to kill off anyone. Then we have another show with disappointing episodes leading up to the finale but ended on a shocking exciting note. I want to complain that how dare they kill off Jimmy (who was my favorite character). I've read comments explaining for and against it but no matter how much i loved the character i kinda get it. I'm very nervous as to what happens for season 3 but i can respect a show that isn't afraid to put EVERYONE on the block to be killed. I absolutely hated it but i can respect it. I'm not going to cut and run like others. I will give this show a chance to see where it goes, i'm far too invested now....
A better comparison would be to Sons of Anarchy. Whereas SoA gave us a Network TV type finale that preserved its "characters", Boardwalk Empire gave us a genuine finale that stayed true to the story first, and thereby honoring the characters as to what they would do in a given circumstance.

That said, I must agree that this probably ruins Season 3, as I suspect that the writers were less concerned about "story" and in reality were looking to enhance their "main character". Unfortunately it failed in that that regard as "Nuchy" is only as interesting as the characters that surround him.
In GOT for example, Ned was offed in similar fashion, but we still have Arya, Jon, Robb, Tyrion, Dani, Bran, and a whole host of others to still root for. I happen to be a fan of the ever-devious Littlefinger.

In BE, there are basically no likeable characters--they are are all so f'n detestable. So why kill the best 2 in Angela, and then Jimmy??? It's like the writers went to the desert, ate some peyotes and decided to wreck their own show.... meia....
While Angela was brilliantly written and acted, she was one of the least honorable and weakest of character in the series. I cannot see how you consider her "likeable."
I agree with both of you. All the characters are detestable, and the only likeable character left in my opinion is the guy with half a face, and even he's boring.

I'm pretty sure they are going for a SOPRANOS vibe where each Season strong characters are developed and then offed.

The problem is that Tony Soprano was a more complex and vital character than Nuchy can ever be.
I thought it was a great season finale, I didn't guess Darmody was about to get it until seconds before it was obvious. I guess I'm just not into Darmody like you and others are. I prefer Agent Stick-Up-the-Butt, and was bummed when he moved away. I do look forward to seeing Darmody's BFF going all Revenge-Ninja next season.
Great show, great twist. Esp emotional with Jimmy going 'over the top' in his ww1 flashback, very moving. I agree with a few posters wondering where they can go without Jimmy in season 3, but that is why the show is so good.
Reading all the reactions here, people stating they are going to quit watching because James has been killed, I'm surprised. James', no matter how interesting and proficient an actor, role had run it's course, the guy betrayed and tried to kill the one and only man he owed everything too, on suggestions of his (biological, but no good) father and his bimbo, power hungry mother. He is violent physicaly, but weak meantaly, he stares at the hunting figurine, realizing Nucky is the "father" he never had in the commodore, yet he sides with the latter? The man is unreliable, treacherous and seriously messed-up in the head (war trauma?)... in racketeer-terms he is "bad for business" and everybody around Nucky and Jimmy knew that.. Nucky taking Jimmy back in would only achieve two things: his organization would have lost reliability and respect. On top of that Jimmy knew how the "suicide" and witness situation had been schemed, so would been a constant threat to Nucky and his family and business. Don't get me wrong I liked Jimmy and his character too in the show, but letting him walk around like nothing happened, would have make me loose credibility in the role of Nucky and the show in general. Jimmy had to go like Fredo, had to be offed by one of Pacino's henchmen in the Godfather, it's not as much personal, it's business. On the Schroeder part, I don't like her either, but her and her new "boyfriend" may become a serious danger for Nucky, curious to find out in season three how that is going to play out and if Nucky is going to allow the church to "keep the deed" or is going to have them "voluntarily" give it back? Is our masked friend going to avenge Jimmy? I for one can not wait for the next season...
"Jimmy had to go like Fredo..." Nailed. Nucky is Michael now.

The masked friend Richard Harrow might kill Manny(at least for Angela), but I think he will offer his services to another employer, maybe Capone in Chicago, maybe one of the countless New Yorkers(Rothstein, Luciano etc ...), I ve seen the masked face in original photos of the valentines day massacre in Chicago - linked to the killers.
I agree. Lot of possibilities for how they can play the fallout over this and allow room for other stories to develop and introduce new blood into the show. Besides we already had Jimmy try the redemption route once did we really need to see it again? Especially considering everything Jimmy did. These actions were not only a great twist but showed Nucky's true intentions in not seeking redemption and in fact further spiraling downward into a vicious Crime Boss capable of handling anything and exacting retribution on anyone that goes against him.

Lot of story lines to flesh out here not even including any new ones they introduce. Between the Chicago players, the Philadelphia Players, the DA that I doubt we've seen the last of, Jimmy's masked brother in arms vengeance potential, the land deed issue, the IRA angle, etc.

...and so on. Not sure why so many are thinking with the killing of one character that if left alive would start to become a rather ho hum occurrence that this show will be floundering in the third season or that it isn't watchable anymore. I'm surprised they took Jimmy out, but if you think about everything that transpired really wouldn't have made much sense for him to be left alive by Nucky.
More +
great, now michael pitt is gonna be out of a job and back to his band...not that its bad or anytthing but i really like it when he gets mayor roles beacause hes great and he should have more recognision for his work
I stopped watching season 2 after the first episode because I didn't like the show's direction and if they killed off Jimmy I'm suddenly glad I didn't stick around for it, He was the star of the show not Nucky
I know what you mean, Jimmy was one of my main reason for watching the show. But the producers know what they're doing. Think about the names behind it.

On that same principal, I can't wait to see reactions to the upcoming seasons of Game of Thrones. If you've read the books, you know what I mean. Don't get too attached to any characters and don't expect the good guys to win. Ever.
I'm done with this show. Jimmy blindly followed his father (the Commodore) and mother and PASSIVELY allowed Nucky to be killed. They were both spared by Nucky's hand stopping the bullet. Jimmy cleans up the mess he made, choosing Nucky (and killing the Commodore)...only to be killed himself? I was looking forward to seeing how Jimmy would come to terms with being a father and friend (to Richard) and rebuilding his relationship with Nucky. Unless Richard uses his sniper skills to take everyone out with Capone spotting (which won't happen - Nucky actually lives a long time and went to prison in '41), I won't bother watching or even touting the show any longer. Too bad.
As I read the comments, I can see that people cared more for Jimmy than for Nucky, that they could relate more to him... I don't quite understand it.

Jimmy was an errand boy turned city-runner thanks to the man that statutory raped his mom (with whom he had an incestuous relationship) and that he ultimately killed before stealing his inheritance ; a man who betrayed and tried to have killed the only person who really cared about him (besides his lesbian wife), that treated him as his own son and tought him everything he knows; a man whose mind was glutted by images of war and death and whose only friends are a disfigured suicidal war veteran zombie and Al Capone (Al Capone, for f***'s sake!!!); a man that dismisses advices or guidance from anyone but his mother; a man that set out to kill his business partner after not holding up his end of the bargain; a man who ordered a hit with the help of the KKK for crying out loud!!! And the list goes on... And Jimmy himself was aware of all of this, accepting his fate as he came unarmed.

Nucky on the other hand is just a man of power with all that it implies, willing to do whatever is necessary to protect himself and his family, and to ensure that his wallet keeps getting fat as he runs the city... A greedy man, yes, but a reasonable and forgiving one nonetheless. He lost the love of his life, his father was horrible, his brother puts Cain to shame, Jimmy tried to Brutus him, the greedy pack of vultures he kept fed and entertained plotted to have him locked up and/or executed, his woman has him cuckold, and yet at a time where racism and segregation is predominant, he seems to be (I know that it's mostly to play that to his advantage) the only one that helps them make a stand. And we never actually SEE him do anything bad, he rarely gets his hands dirty. He's like a milder less violent but far more cunning Tony Soprano.

And it's still Jimmy you can relate to best? I'm not saying I dislike him, he was interesting, he was bad-ass, and I'm guessing that's why people like him, but Nucky is far more relatable and humane, he is the heart of the show. And no take anything from Michael Pitt, for he is pretty impressive and could be a rising star, Steve Buscemi is a tremendous actor and leagues ahead.

As far as the story goes, Nucky has to prevail. It will be different without Jimmy, but not necessarily worse. I think it was a bold move and I respect the writers even more for it. It was a great season and I think it deserves more love from TV.com. I think it deserved more props and there are a fair amount of half-decent shows that get weekly recaps and more acknoledgement. Maybe the reviews should be written by someone that does get it and actually gives a damn. No offense Louis, but you do seem to be only doing it because you have to, not because you care about what happens on the show.

I will finish my longest comment ever (sorry if I seem like I'm rambling) by saying that I will definitely tune back for season 3 and I think that killing a character you like shouldn't be big enough of a reason to quit watching a show, only an inevitable descent towards mediocrity should (cough-cough-Heroes!).
I agree with alot of things you said, but when it comes to Nucky he's as cut throat and heartless as Jimmy was. Even more so in fact. Your explanation of Nucky seems a bit fairy tale to me. If Nucky's horrible deeds can be excused with sad stories then why couldn't Jimmy's? Who cares if we never saw him do anything bad, thats like saying the mob bosses that send their men out to wack ppl aren't as bad as the hit men themselves. Excuses excuses.....
oops, let me rewrite that: " And not to take anything away from Michael Pitt, for he is pretty impressive and could be a rising star, but Steve Buscemi is a tremendous actor and is leagues ahead"... don't know if that's any better
Despite the fact that Jimmy was one of my favorites too, I liked both the season and the last episode(s).

If nucky would have known all we know, he might have considered sparing Jimmy and killed Manny and Eli - but he did not, did he ?

I call that very thoughtfull and consistent writing. Thats what Nucky has and Jimmy lacked off - balls AND brains (= ruthless badass) !
Tim, you are a great reviewer - and I may be biased saying that, because I always agree seem to agree with you point for point.

I don't know whether I'll keep watching, or if my interest will wane after this. I've always felt Boardwalk is a show I watch because I should, rather than that I want to - Jimmy was my favorite character too, and he was kinda keeping me engaged. Without him, all I got left to keep me interested is Nucky, and I don't like him any more.
except that Tim didn't write this review...
Let me start off by saying that I'm not in denial. As much as I was hoping Harrow would snipe Eli in the head and Nucky in the leg at the last moment I very much respect the fact that this didn't happen (or that Nucky didn't shoot Eli over Darmody's shoulder).

With that being said, what about the possibility that Darmody is still alive? I know, they seemed to do their best to indicate he is dead as dead can be... but perhaps they were trying too hard?

It seems as if the first shot might have just gone through his cheek and out the other side (would be sort of a great contrast to Harrow right?), and as for the second shot, we only saw it from a distance so possibly it was just a scare/frustration shot into the dirt. Also, it would a fair trade for Nucky being shot through the hand but living.

In the end, I realize that an attempt to shoot someone through the face without killing them would be extremely difficult even for a great shot. I also realize Manny wouldn't allow Nucky to leave Jimmy lying there still alive, and there is of course the scene where Nucky states that Darmody has rejoined the service and already shipped out.

Who's to say Season 3 doesn't open with a shot of Manny lying dead where he was standing right before the scene ended and Darmody in a mild coma as a John Doe in the hospital (no dog tags remember)? Why would Nucky bring up Darmody to Margaret when he rarely ever talked about him with her if not to sell the death to the audience? Sure this would sort of lose them a lot of the respect they received from critics, but then again, they would have managed to sell the death which is just as well.

Possibly the show creators or actors already put the brakes on this theory, but if not, it certainly could be a possibility right? I'll still watch the show of course, but like everyone else, I can't see them moving forward without someone the audience can relate to.
If they make it, it was all a dream and Jimmy lives happily ever after, that be sorely disappointing. Jimmy, how colorful and likable to some, had to go, he was unstable, treacherous and "bad for business". What is more damaging for a show, as our reviewer mentions: good for the storyline, "may have served the story, it didn't serve the series." killing of a favorite character or killing the credibility of the main character and the show in itself... the racketeering business left little room for personal likes and dislikes, if you were (a nice and likable person but) "bad for business" you had to go if you were a total a-hole but "good for business" you were in. Jimmy was a made-man in the Nucky Thompson racketeering setup, but he chose to un-make himself, that was and (for the credibility of the entire setting) could be nothing else but his downfall.
Terrance has confirmed that Jimmy is dead.
The final scene with Jimmy showed blood coming from a bullet-hole in his forehead. If they revive him it may go down in history as one of the worst instances of deus ex machina, even worse than Patrick Duffy in the shower on Dallas.
BTW - Great review, spot on!
The Writers have fundamentally misunderstood their own story. Nucky IS James' father, not 'The Commodore'. Despite his (James') failings and treachery, Nucky would have/should have forgiven him in the way that a loving father would fogrigve/be blind to his son. The TRUE arc would have been for Nucky to turn his gun on Horvitz (who killed his 'son's' wife and true love) and for James to truely explore the father/son dynamic and the oedipeal complex. One word - "disappointed"
After everything that happened between Nucky and Jimmy, I don't think there was anyway they were going to shake hands and be friends again realistically. Jimmy knew that, and he saw it coming. I think the writers will still manage to come up with new ways to make season 3 interesting even without Jimmy. He was important to the show, but if they kept him around there is only so much they could do with him before the situations would start to look too familiar. This way it frees the writers up to create new plotlines for season 3 without having to rehash old ones.

It was hard watching Nucky kill someone he once looked at as a son. Jimmy sort of had it coming though. It didn't hurt as much as watching Tony suffocate Christopher. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.
They killed the most mesmerizing and interesting character on BOARDWALK EMPIRE...I call this professional suicide....They killed BOARDWALK EMPIRE for me.....They could have killed Nucky's creepy brother Eli off and everyone would be happy...They could have killed off befuddled-looking and manipulative Margaret Schroeder and many would be elated....Schroeder also looks too matronly-looking to have two young children...Gillian doesn't look like a grandmother, and Margaret looks like a grandmother.....(bizarre).....This was an awful finale.......It was well acted but they killed the wrong characters...
Karen, I totally agree with you on all counts. Margaret is a cheating bitch and with all that Nucky has given her, saved her, protected her she keeps screwing him and now even gives his total savings (land) away. And he was really nice to her kids, not a hump like Capone. Now, with all the back and forth with Jimmy, when just maybe

It should be like it was supposed to, Nucky kills him! Is Terrance an idiot.? Does he not know his own audience. Why go thru all of Jimmy,s family problems, do a whole

Episode practically covering his growing up only to have him shot in the face!

This will probably go down as the worst endings of a top series of all time.

One of the best things in this show is that you never know where it's going. I love it!
Jimmy was the best reason for watching this show, not the only, but the best. Now they have taken that away, and I say and feel like "to hell with this show." I'm not returning to watch season 3, and I'm cancelling HBO. BAD MISTAKE.
No, I won't be watching season 3. The fate of Nucky and Margaret doesn't interest me at all. I thought Jimmy and his family were the most interesting characters but maybe the lesbian wife and Jimmy's incestuous love for his mother were a bit too much for puritan American spectators so ofcourse they had to die.
This is a gangster show. And Jimmy had to go and he deserved it. You would think as supposedly smart as his character was, he would have made better decisions this year. But he didn't, he got power hungry, he got sloppy and he got arrogent. So he had to go simple as that. And Nucky evolved as a crime lord. He had to realize that the people that you love the most can often betray you and it end up to you to take care of it.

Now this season was lackluster for me. Too much with Jimmy and the Commodore way too weird with Jimmy and his mother. After last season and after the first episode I thought they were going to go a different way and loet Margaret take more of a role in Nucky's life and enterprise but they didn't. Overall it felt like they didn't know where they were going. But Jimmy, he had to go and I am sure they will find another to fill his shoes.
Part of me has to give credit to the writers or Boardwalk for killing off such a main character when Sons of Anarchy didn't have to the balls to do it, but like most people I'm worried about s3. I'm curious to see what they will be do with characters like Richard and Van Alden when both have lost their reason for being in the show.
Loved the finale.

Opens up new vistas forseason three.

Jimmy was getting repetitive.

Hope Richard is back.

Agree too many story lines and characters.

Margaret leaves me cold.

Did anyone say divorce once Nuky finds out about vhe land transfer.

Steve Buscemi still carries that show not Mike Pitt.
Hey may be the main character (and a fantastic one), but he doesn't carry it, not alone.
I don't often have these reactions, but here it is: the season was very good, the last episode superb - and it's quite possibly the last time I watch the series. The out-of-character killing of James was simply nauseating. It (together with the Margaret marriage sham) made Nookie seem like a totally monstrous, unscrupulous character - and unless I'm led to believe he is for a longer period of time, like in case of Tony Soprano or Thomas Kane (Boss), it just seems odd, unnecessary and simply - wrong. There was a lot to say about redemption, not the evil in men. I have no desire to follow the character of Nookie Thompson now and in my opinion this screwed the entire series up. I'll take a look at the episode in which he gets killed, not before, I think. A great, great shame.
/shrug

I loved this season more than the first one. Not sure what was hard to follow this season. There were a couple episodes where things seemed to drag a bit but overall especially considering how things wrapped up I thought it was excellent. This show actually moved up amongst my favorites this season especially with the last couple episodes. I'm actually looking forward to this show more than Sons of Anarchy at this point. Which SOA is a great show too but that finale seemed to really fizzle whereas Boardwalk Empire just went out with a bang...literally for poor Jimmy XD

You want to talk about disappointing shows lets talk about Dexter. That show has been fairly awful this season compared to year's past. Not sure how the hell they plan on doing two more seasons with that show considering how lackluster and passe this one has been.
I disagree wholeheartedly with this article. This has been an Amazing season. Yes, there are too many characters.....but whatever, it doesn't bother me. And LP, you make so many analogies in this article, I feel like I'm taking SAT's just reading it. and to be honest, I don't understand what the hell you're talking about anyway.

Unfortunately, they ruined the ending by killing Jimmie. The writers tried to pull a Ned on us, and it DID NOT work. Damn you GRRM, look what you started!

Just wanted to add 3 more things. 1-This was completely out of character for Nucky. 2-Phantom of the Opera is going to be pissed. Watch out for him next season! 3- Will someone please decapitate Margaret already? She is such a sanctimonious _______.
I honestly feel like they just changed their minds about Jimmy's fate, i don't think it was planned a head of time. I honestly think they decided to kill him off late. I am with most people here, where i am not sure if i will watch this show now, as Jimmy was it for me. However i know a lot of people said that after Episode 9 of Game of Thrones and Sean Beans ultimate fate. In fact i think Boardwalk just pulled a George RR Martin. Now was it planned or are they trying to keep up with the Jones'. All i know is Season 3 is going to feel a whole lot emptier.
Killing Jimmy Darmody is the worst thing they could have done. The writers have clearly under-estimated how vital a role Jimmy Darmody has played in keeping this show alive, and by god they are going to live to regret this dramatic . As for me, i believe i'm done watching this show. Killing off a great actor like Michael Pitt was a huge turn off for me. Too bad, i really liked the show, guess it wasn't meant to be.....
I agree 1000%. I hate Eli--he is a sniveling, whiny little bitch. It should have been him at the end. There are so many loathsome characters on this show (Margaret "high horse" Schroeder to name another) AND THEY KILL THE BEST F****IN CHARACTER BY FAR?!?!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

Ok, sorry for yelling.....I literally just finished watching the finale. But soooo pissed, I am!!
I know, I thought at the end, Nucky was gonna shoot Eli across from Jimmy, but he didn't. Forget this, I never felt bad about a character getting killed but Jimmy was someone everyone could relate to, and was far more interesting than old man Nucky.
As much I agree that there could be a whole lot of interesting turns next season without Jimmy (but due to his death), but I'd have to say I'm quite skeptical to come back to the show now that two of my favorite characters are gone. Not just because they've shown some development during this season, but because I was genuinely into them. I almost felt betrayed by the show. totally shocked.
I think you are selling the series short and it's writers. Richard Harrow obviously wasn't excepted by most but Angela & Jimmy both showed him love. I think his character will build nicely next season as I'm sure he will seek some sort of revenge as well. Al Capone will not take to this lightly either. With Jimmy out of the way, Gillian will do anything she can to take down Nucky. Van Alden being In hiding will shape up to be another good story and Chalky will become a bigger player. With lots of Characters comes lots of possibility. I look forward to what's next.
Unlike you, I am confused as to why Nucky got rid of Jimmy. After all, Jimmy is the reason Nucky beat the charges against him and a mistrial was declared. He was genuinely sorry about what had transpired between him and Nucky. I was totally shocked by Jimmy's death.
It seems he trusted Eli over Jimmy. The last 5 minutes were downright petarted. --Sigh--
No, Nucky was paying off debts to Eli -- who's going to jail in his place for two years -- and Horvitz. Also, remember what Rothstein said about tossing a coin and knowing your choice before it lands (or something along those lines).

Part of next season, hopefully, will be to see whether Nucky truly feels no guilt, or will be affected as Jimmy predicted.
Exactly. Rothsteins super brilliant - thats why Nucky listens to him. Regarding EVERYTHING happened this season, I was shocked , but not really surprised when Nucky shot Jimmy.

From what WE know, it was a cruel and unjust move - but through Nuckys eyes it was necessary. His brothers word against Jimmys about the assassination(Jimmy told the truth but behaved like a badass before, Eli was the opposite) - the new Irish quite capable(he doesnt know he f***ed his wife) -
I like season 2 more than season 1 as it was more thrilling and had many unexpected turns although I am sad that there will be no Jimmy anymore =( a very interesting character

but I will watch season 3 no matter what! Nucky is to damn gorgeous!!!
It could go either way. Boardwalk Empire could do just fine or it could have just shot it's own leg off. It's way too soon to tell. Tons of people are super mad, though.

• 8:30 pm