Bones Gives Love A Bad Name

I don't know about you, but I think the 100th episode of Bones, "The Parts in the Sum of the Whole," was just... sad. Incredibly, depressingly sad. It started off happy—even comical—with lots of lighthearted flashbacks, but took a dark, emotional turn at the very end. The last scene between Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and Booth (David Boreanaz), during which Brennan admitted that she's royally screwed up and unable to love people, was tragic. After five years of unbearable URST, Booth grew a pair and suggested they give it a shot—despite Brennan's issues—only to be shot down. One step forward, two steps back. Is there any hope left for this show?

The answer is: Maybe. In fact, the answer has always been "maybe." Bones has strung us along with this "will-they-or-won't-they" act for five seasons now; even diehard fans can't deny that it's getting stale. Not only has the show's premise has been stretched way too thin, but it makes logical sense for two clearly-in-love characters to get together. Watching two people flirt for five seasons is plain annoying. But Bones and Booth getting together likely means the end of the show, right? And since it doesn't seem like anyone's ready for that just yet, Bones chose the "rejection" solution—but the thing is, it kind of worked.

Bones has never really been about the forensics (and neither was Brennan's book in last week's episode, "The Bones on the Blue Line"). In fact, this show could be a sitcom and it would still be watchable. As much as I hate Hart Hanson for keeping this ridiculously indulgent fantasy alive, I have to give him kudos for creating truly lovable characters—"The Parts in the Sum of the Whole" revealed a lot about them. We know that Brennan is capable of emotional growth, it just happens at a snail's pace. So while it may have been frustrating to watch her deny both herself and Booth true happiness, it's possible she'll change her mind. In fact, she probably will change her mind. Pam on The Office shot down Jim's first proposition, and we all know all they turned out. Why not Brennan, too?

I've got to believe that the Booth-Brennan hookup will happen at the end of the show's run, whenever it may be. In the meantime, Brennan and Booth will try to move on. New love interests will surface. New cast members will come and go. But the result will be the same: Booth won't find another Brennan, and Brennan won't find another Booth. Even if poor Sweets (John Francis Daley) has to re-write his book to incorporate Booth and Brennan's actual first case together, he'll come to the same conclusion: They're a package deal.

Though it's generally agreed that the Booth-Brennan relationship should happen in the series finale, I have to raise the question: Do you think the show would work if they got together sooner? Or if they became an on-again-off-again couple, a la Ross and Rachel on Friends? My answer is no. Bones already has enough relationship drama; elevating that drama from "potential" to "actual" would make the show's fascinating forensic cases irrelevant. The show would become a sitcom. And, just because it could work as a sitcom doesn't mean it should stray from it's hour-long-procedural-drama roots.

My conclusion? I'm very sad about the outcome of the 100th episode, but I must admit that the flashbacks within it were awesome. Tequila shots! Hodgins' (T.J. Thyne) 'fro! Zach Addy (Eric Millegan)! Ultimately, I know Bones didn't have much of a choice.

What did you think of the episode?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

I know this comment is late... but, I would LOVE to see them interacting as a couple. I hope they get together before the season finale.
It really was sad...but I kind of like it! I think it was exactly what it was supposed to be.

We know they'll get together in the end...we don't wish, we KNOW. That's what this show is about in the first place: the relatioship between Brennan and Booth.

So, an actual motioning 100th episode was just amazing...even though I'm still sad.

And seeing Zack again was just refreshing, I missed him so much! How he used to dislike Hodgins...it was so interesting to see the they were like that before becoming best friends.. The only thins that was missing was the first "King of the lab!"

In the end I just have to say...poor Sweets! He'll have to right his book all over again...*there there*
I think it was extremely sad. I want Bones to say YES o, at least, 'maybe' or 'let's give it a chance'. What are they going to do now? How can the possibly work together? They should have hooked up and keep it secret. This scneario would create good situations on the show. Anyway, we'll all have to wait...
Reminds me of Ghost Whisperer when Melinda's husband Jim, a main character, gets killed. That REALLY made people crazy. But that had to happen in that show to set up the big comeback for Jim. So, maybe this rejection in Bones episode 100 is a critical turning point instead of a disappointing rejection. I hope so. I hated the fact that Bones said no, but look forward to seeing where the writers take these guys from here.
I totally agree with you!
Yeah, I miss Zach Addy... I hope he would come back soon... redeem himself or something. Having Addy back on the show, could actually help the show in the long run.. Atleast, that's what I predict.
In our culture, we want instant gratification! The Cinderella ending. So, fans are wanting Brennan and Booth to just dive in and get together. However, if you have lived long enough, you know that many couples that have a hard time commiting and then "just do it" end up splitting apart. I think both Brennen and Booth deeply care for each other but she is afraid that if they commit to the relationship then it might ruin it and then even friendship would not be possible. I think she would rather settle for this known friendship rather than the unknown committed relationship.
I totally agree with everything you said in your

last paragraph. Mostly, it WAS just very sad...
Booth should have went Angelus and just drained her dry. They should just bring back Zoey Deschanel and have Booth get with her.
I actually loved the whole episode. Despite being a little annoyed that they didn't get together, I thought that the particular scene was actually really well done along with the rest of the episode.
meh he'll always be Angel to me
I think they should have the main characters get together now rather than later. The most annoying thing about Friends (otherwise great show) was the on again off again thing with ross and rachel that lasted ten bloody seasons.

I believe it would add more needed comedy to the show and a sense of reality. As it is it feels sort of cartonish stringing everyone along for something we know will happen later anyway :)
this was stupid IMO. I feel betrayed. I'm done watching it and my wife wanted to delete it off the Tivo right after. They could have kept the tension by making them keep it secret in order to avoid their work relationship being split up. I have a buddy who is studying forensics and he won't stop watching it no matter what, even though he was pissed too. He can tell me when they finally hook up. I'll watch that episode and then give it another chance if its not the damm end of the series. Hart Hanson can learn a lot from the creators of Chuck.
I was laughing and loving this episode until the last few minutes. When Bones turned down Booth I was going: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! There is so many ways they could have done this.. I know at least a handfull of senarios that would have worked, keeping fans happy, the caraters real and the show interesting. This is geting old and boring, and I have serios dout that I am watching by the end of this season... Realy hope they've thougt this thru.. (BTW: I realy miss Zach)
While we're hope, wish and pray for the show to go and do what other shows have failed to do.. it's still Hollywood people. They stick with "what works" for the most part. I'll hope that they will take a new direction than most shows with will they/won't they couples. I will hope that the writers will find a way to incorporate the relationship, explore that vast field of possibilities. But I will not hold my breath. I just don't have that sort of faith in the heads of the networks to allow something good to continue. To allow the show to grow and change.
I really enjoyed this episode, and I have no doubt in my mind that they will end up together. It's just a question of when. Besides this it was nice to see what really happens a year before the actual show started.
I think they should get together. Even if it means something has to seriously change (i.e. a new partner). Seriously. I'm not sure I believe they can keep working together realistically after that.
Just treading water now!
I agree this is getting stale get with lets see the two lovebirds get together and go on with the show they don't have many shows where the love birds go on with the show give it a whirl the fans just mught like it.
I agree that the 100th episode was depressing... but it did make Bones fans react! Which I believe is what they were going for. I mean, it's been a VERY long time since Bones fans were shocked or angry with the show. It's been, and I hate to say it, boring. The fourth season seemed dull, and boring, after the first couple of episodes. The show seemed like it was trying to replace Zack with all of these interns, which they've finally eased up on in the past couple of episodes. Now, I'm not asking for Zack back (which would be totally awesome!) as that is up to the producers and writers, but I like the way they're going with this. The producers don't want the show to end right now, and neither do the fans. But the fans still want SOMETHING to happen. So, enter compromise with a twist. They say 'you want Booth and Bones together? Well guess what? They already were, kind of." And of course they're not gonna let the possibility of their main attraction happen just yet. However, I have a strong feeling that Booth and Brennan are going to be together FOR SURE by the end of this season. The next season will deal with their "new" relationship. Except I believe that they will not be working together any longer. Or at least not for a couple of episodes. I think that Brennan will just work as an anthropologist and I'm not sure if Booth will be with the FBI... or at least not in the field. Don't mark me on this but that's what I think will happen.
I liked the episode very much. We got to see a Brennan a little bit more "Human". I love this show and I love the books, but sometimes Brennan gets on my nerve to how she is very egotistic and self centured. Maybe it's how the writers want it... She has to let go of her scientist of the wolrd barrier and open up.
Well, no matter how it comes out, Bones and Booth are top drawer in my book. They belong together. Also, I had to admit ignorance, but what does URST mean?
I don't know what everyone is complaining about! I thought this episode was excellent, including the ending! I've always believed that the reason that the fans of this show watched was the teasing relationship of Booth and Bones. I agree with most that it would not survive long, if at all, once they actually get together. However, most fans can't deny that they are still rooting for that and, this season, for Booth to admit his feelings to her. Which is exactly what happened, yet without ruining the shows whole essence! We had some admittance and we got a couple kisses, but I believe the chemistry, which is what truly keeps most of us interested, will still be there. We all know that they will end up together in the end. I know there's no way everyone can be happy with a show or an episode, but I seriously don't understand why so many were disappointed with this one. What exactly would you have been happy with?
the rejection should have come earlier, dragging the thing on is really becoming painful. Especially when recent episodes actually focus more and more about these feelings, even when they are solving the case.
It was a very fun episode! The coming of the main characters together for the first time was pretty cool though not the way I imagined it to be. Brennan and Booth CAN'T be a couple just yet and FINALLY Boot is gonna be lookin' for someone to be with (cuz Brennan hasn't exactly been a one man woman in the few seasons and the last time Booth was with a woman was Cam I believe). Though the end of the episode was kind of sad and frustrating, We the fans know that when the inevitable pairing of Brennan and Booth comes it will be the end of the show. I give it 2 or 3 more seasons before the show gets old and repetitive and it's not too late for the fans to actually be excited and happy for them!.
I think that their chemistry for working together would change if they become a couple. This way the show focuses more on the mystery solving than the love life of the characters. Otherwise the show would maybe not be as good as it is. (I do wish that they end up together in the end.)
I only hope that the directors/writers read what most of the watchers write and respond. I don't think there is a show without the relationship with Bones. And I say that even though Bones has been my favorite show on television. If they start messing up Brennan and Booth's relationship I won't watch it anymore. To me that's the best part of the show and the way the writers made it out that Brennan's book was based on Angela's fantasies was a let down too. It made it out like Brennan really doesn't have any depth emotionally. That she is only about the forensics. Yet the shows prior to this showed that she is much more than that. Please don't ruin this show!
The show was great until the end... that was the worst ending I have ever seen. We all have waited for 5 years for Booth and Bones to get together. After the other night I can say honestly that I am tired of it. I will not watch another episode. Too many times with too many shows have we seen this, will they or won't they. Its like masterbating without the payoff. Cancel the show...now!
I'm the gambler I'm the gambler that scene damn near killed me the man took a shot lets see how brennan deals with the jealousy she is gonna feel seeing him with someone else.
The episode was actually pretty good, when I saw that it was going to be a flashback, I was actually a lil worried what might happen, but excpet for that last scene... it was great.

Now, that last scene, honestly, I'm just getting frustrated, we know that they're going to have to end up together, unless the writers seriously want to annoy they entire fan base.

Though I do think in a way they needed this, an acknloledgment from both of them that something is there, but Bones is scared, and Booth, well, he's Booth.

They will end up together, wether the show survives afterwards, no idea, but I think we would all love to see a season were they are together. We want to see it.
I think the 100th episode was a really great episode until you got to the end too. Those last minutes were a little heartbreaking and if booth and brennan are going to get together why would they make booth say that he's going to move on to find someone he can be happy with 30 years from now. I thought that line was the most hurtful and sad part of the episode. As for when they should get together i really think it sill suck majorly if they get together in the last episode i mean seriously that would piss me off if we only got 42 minutes of booth and brennan. I think they should get together around the last season. maybe even before that. Get brennan pregnant with booths baby that would be interesting enough to keep the show going. i dont know but them getting together in the last episode would make me never watch anything written or directed or even produced by Hart Hanson again. Find a way to make it work with the two of them together so all us fans can finally have what we've been waiting for.
Also, it was awesome to have Zach back for an episode! I hope he makes more appearances. I mean, he dropped the bomb to Sweets that he DIDN'T ACTUALLY KILL THAT GUY, but no one else knows. Then they haven't spoken about it since. That's kind of a big deal, right???? I hope that gets addressed soon.
I think they should get together in the last season, but not the last episode. I think after all this time, the audience deserves to see them awkwardly date for a while. :)
I thought the 100th episode was perfect. I don't want to cut my chicken to get golden eggs all at one go !! I think it would be interesting to see a very very Jealous Bones ! I don't mind seeing a totally torn Bones if Booth goes ahead and proposes to this "New Love Interest". ..maybe that will bring Bones around. Right now she might love him but she's also taking him for granted. We've enjoyed Booth dealing with his emotions ... it would be fun to see Bones go through it too. Also, Bones never actually answered why she decided against sleeping with Booth, He's just left to wonder that it's his gambling which altered Bones' mind and thus we have never seen Booth indulging in gambling. There has to be an explanation as to what made Bones change her mind, was it because Booth felt " it is going somewhere" !! Lot's of unaswered question is the essence of the show and I think writers have dealt very well with it, I mean in terms of giving us something (the kiss, Booth pouring his heart out) and still keeping the mystery alive. As for me, I'm dieing to see how they both "get on" with their lifes and how Bones reacts to the Booth's new love.
The show really was not what i wanted to happen between booth and bones they should have been happy that they love each other. But other then that me and my brother didnt like the ending it was to sad. Hopefully they get togther in the end of the show fingers cross:D
I'm very sad, This is a very sad 100th episode.
I would like to have seen them get together if only to break the cliche. A show can work after the characters fall for each other but it depends upon the writing. Few writers are really good enough to pull off that sort of relationship on TV.
to me, Brennan panics beacuse love is the unknown.. she's scared of it.. she's doesn't have a proof of it, hse has never felt it.. and as Sweet said.. no of them had been in a serious relationship since they met eachother... but the episode was great, and she's worried about ot working with him anymore.. not seeing him, it shows she cares, but she's just not ready
Omg I got SO mad at Bones when she pushed him away! I mean, ofc they're going to end up together, but I'm tired of waiting. I think somethings' going to happen at the season finale :) And til' then, I don't really think that they're going to speak to each other. That's what I think, but we'll see :)
I'm actually kind of glad they didn't get together because - I don't know if anyone else agrees - but the kissing definitely lacked chemistry!!! They have more chemistry when they are simply flirting with each other. The kissing and will they/won't they aside, the episode was great. I loved the flashbacks and I enjoyed seeing how the characters were before they all started rubbing off on each other.
The show will not be ruined, just because they are together. It doesn't mean that they have to get married and live happily ever after right away. I do hope they will hook up because anything else would be an insult to the fans.
I believe there's going to be a Bones Movie and like the X-Files they'll be together in the same house in the same bed like molder and scully.
I just loved this episode.
It made me smile and cry at the same time and as much as I hated the ending I somehow loved it (:
Bones is (next to The X-Files) my favorite show so I don't mind if the will they or wont they situation continues...
I have strange thoughts running through my head about this episode, YES it was great as a stand alone episode but what will happen next, I mean he tried she shot him down fine with me but why at the end they look like they just decided to be together? come on she rejected him or not? if yes why she is hugging him, I don't mind angst but that just mixing everything up. I am not expecting even the slightest comment about the conversation in the end in next few episodes so I will have to wait for the finale and that just sucks! by the way I think they should get together before end of series, I think the 'will they won't they' is dragged long enough, People should stop compare Bones and Moonlighting, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!
oh... and I MISS ZAC!!!!! Loved seeing him again
I loved the episode...... right up until the end. I was PO'd about Bones shooting down Booth, but I guess they just wanted to string out the URST more, maybe Bones will finally break when Booth gets a squeeze... Hope So!!!
Someone mentioned Brennan's tears; Emily Deshanel really portrayed the conflicted and vulnerable person that is Brennan at that moment. If the actor’s job is to make you believe and feel the characters emotions in a fleeting instance that passes just barely perceived Ms. Deshanel nailed it.
Hey Stef, why don't you tell us how you really feel about this "episode"? It appears to me that you have a negative view towards this show in general and are hiding behind your "opinion" of this one episode. Yea, I get your view about Booth "sacking up" and wanting to commit. But in case you haven't noticed, America, for some reason loves to see people pine away for their true loves. I don't know, maybe it's the realism that most relationships tank or that there is just a lot of hopeless romantics out there being justified in their self-pity.
It was sad, my heart was aching for them, specially for Booth, but in the end it was a nice twist xD at least for me, I thougth that Brennan will say yes, or let me think about it or something, but nooooo she freak out, and Booth just accepted, it was just SAD and heartbreaking. I loved all the angust and the expression of Bones when he hesitated when she asked about still working together. A BITTERSWEET CHAPTER
it was so happy until it ended DX. zack i miss so much. hodgens with the fro was great to see again. angela being normal i miss she's just so obnoxious now. can't believe hodgens used to have anger management issues. i'm surprised the old boss didn't make a return i guess they didn't feel like paying for him?
Load More Comments