Bones: Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Before we discuss the Season 5 finale of Bones, I'd like to get a few things out of the way:

1. Booth (David Boreanaz) looks almost too good in camo-gear. He can be my army of one anytime he wants.

2. Hodgins (T.J. Thyne) and Sweets (John Francis Daley) need their own spinoff sitcom. It would be called "Hodgepodge and Mr. Adventure," and it would contain more hilarious moments like Hodgins letting out a girlish yelp at the sight of Billy F. Gibbons, and Sweets meowing to distract a group of attack dogs. Comic gold.

3. Cam's (Tamara Taylor) wardrobe is phenomenal.

Okay, that's done. So, Bones kind of snuck up on us in the second half of Season 5 with a bunch of heavy material, didn't it? First there was the Sweets-Daisy (Carla Gallo) engagement, then the Episode 100 fiasco, then the Hodgins-Angela (Michaela Conlin) marriage, and now we've got the big ch-ch-changes from the Season 5 finale to deal with. Yet it hasn't felt overwhelming at all. On a show that's been maintaining a sexual tension tug-of-war for five seasons, change is a good thing. It keeps things fresh, and it gives fans new questions to mull over. Will Season 6 skip ahead a year? Or will Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and Booth still be across the world from each other when we return in the fall? We could have a completely different show on our hands, guys—one that strays away from the case-by-case format (sound familiar?) and instead digs into the five-seasons-deep character-development archives. The show's title, after all, doesn't just refer to the parts of the skeleton.

Ol' Bones has grown up a lot this season, and it's been uniquely delightful to watch because of Emily Deschanel's performance. Deschanel has played this character so consistently well over the past five seasons, and now she's finally getting the chance to show us that she, like Bones, can express emotions. All season long, she's been working hard to understand the importance of emotional (as opposed to rational) decision-making, and she's repeatedly credited Booth with teaching her how to do this. Last week's episode, "The Boy with the Answer," revealed a truly vulnerable side of Brennan. Not only did she experience terrifying nightmares about the Gravedigger, but she allowed those nightmares to affect her on an emotional level rather than dismissing them as "irrelevant," and she relied heavily on Booth for emotional support. And in last night's Season 5 finale, she began to read other people on an emotional level, spewing a friendly "I love you, too" to Hodgins and all but begging Booth not to be a hero in Afghanistan so he'd come back in one piece.

Brennan is going to make some pretty profound discoveries during her stay on the Maluku Islands, and not just anthropologically-speaking. She'll have time to process Angela and Hodgins' marriage. She'll observe how Daisy deals with putting her career ahead of her relationship with Sweets. She'll struggle with her own problems, instead of relating them to a psychologist. And she'll spend a year away from the love of her life. But, lucky for us, it builds character.

What did you think of the Season 5 finale? And what do you think will happen in Season 6?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

Question for you experts! Did anyone else notice the soldier in the last episode, the one who delivers the messages to Booth that the army wants him back? The name on the guy's uniform is PELANT. Does this have any significance at all?
I like the idea I saw somewhere of Brennan coming back with a guy. And being really different like personality wise, as being way less rational because of the close relationship with this guy. And it comes back to her going 'I'm a scientist, I don't know how to change.' But then she changes for this other guy and Booth gets jealous. Lol. It was a FanFic, I think.
Everyone has suggestions to the writers! Lol. I'll tweet Hart.
I for one, all though this scenario is more than likely not going to happen, think this should be the premiere of Season 6 of Bones:

Six months into their seperated trips across the planet, Dr. Brennan has bitten by some poisonous reptile/bug, and taken back to Washington, D.C.. Booth is contacted and heads that way.... They have switched places from the usual Booth being in the hospital bed and Brennan worriedly awaiting his awake, to Booth being the anxious one..... And so on...
I have had many ideas of what needs to happen next or what I would like to see happen next. However I just hope that the writers never run out of ideas for this show. It would also be nice to finally see Brennan and Booth become a couple. However as the FBI has rules they will no longer be able to work together. When the time comes for the show to end - as all the great ones do I vote that be the story line for the series finally :)
Just to add, the writers having them all apart for a year gives them a great opportunity to shake things up next season. See shifts in personalities, emotions etc. etc.. I hope they don't waste this, especially given that they wrote this whole year long separation. How things begin to be dealt with in early Season 6 will show if they've done it all justice. *fingers crossed*
Not the worst of Bones' season finales, but certainly not the best. I'm quite tired of the show now, it went downhill in seasons 3/4, picked itself back up this season, but has not matched Season 1/2. To me the first two seasons were the best. The show has become unrealistic in many ways, and the only thing that keeps me watching is my love for Hodgins, Sweets, Cam and Booth. This finale would have been a great place for them to end the show completely, but they're not. Hopefully Season 6 will be their last and that it will end on a good note. I'm still a fan of the show, and have been since it first aired, and though I've been disappointed more than once I keep coming back to it. I'd love it to end being praised and with a neat little ending. Here's hoping to a stellar 6th season. I've got hope for it yet.
tthe finale was good. can't wait for season 6 but i bet that it is going to be a long year for bone and booth.
Can't wait till the fall . Summer is going to be very long..This is one of the best shows on T V . I so enjoy the actors and the connection they have with each other, even Daisy . I sure hope all return healthly , wealthy and wise....
Sorry Stef, You're wrong about the yr long pining!! I predict a major incident(be it accident or discovery??) effectively pulling our dynamic duo back stateside a lot sooner than expected!! Add an "old" protagonist looming large for the opening episodes, as well as family members playing a deciding role. Rest assured, a major loss is due!!!
I loved the finale. I know five or six people who all cried when Booth left. I just wish they had kissed. It was a perfect moment for a kiss. They could have returned to each other when they had stopped and looked over their shoulders at each other, they should have at least embraced. I just hope the summer passes quickly.
I so loved the whole of this season..the changes and I agree, there was a lot of 'em, but never in the overwelming sense. I still am trying to process the goodbye scene in the finale but I loved it..especially the way Booth looked twice like he wanted to kiss her but didn't. The changes I think will be good, its like getting a new chapter in a great book.
Oh this summer is gonna be long..please season 6 comes soon!
OMG A-MAZ-ING EPISODE!!
can't wait til next season... one year on!! so exciting!!
Still got a full season ahead on contract. They'll be back in the fall.
Is it coming back? I heard it was canceled
I think it is a perfect place for the show to be finished. Let the rest of us get on with something new. But lets face it it has got a lot tired. Hence stupid marriages in prison, A psychologist who is so dumb he hangs out with an immature girl. Being brainy doesn't give you street smarts. It's time for something better.
"And she'll spend a year away from the love of her life." I love the way you put that! :) I've heard a lot of people that didn't like the finale, but personally I loved it. I can't wait to see how this plays out in the fall. :)
Barowyn, how depressing! But I like your imagination. Re: Season Finale
I liked the episode as a whole but was initially disappointed by the ending. The morning after I watched it, I woke up feeling like I had just broken up with a boyfriend: like everything had fundamentally changed and nothing was ever going to be the same again. Bittersweet evolution. Today, I watched it again and it looks like I'm coming to terms with the feelings it caused me. The feeling that I eventually felt every time I ended a relationship for good reason -- which is that, it was for the best. I want B&B to sail off into the sunset together more than anyone but I realize the timing's not right. They're not there yet and I think that any loyal viewer would have felt a little betrayed if happily-ever-after had happened this season. Cause deep down inside we all know they weren't ready.

I'm eagerly awaiting S6 and hope the show continues to send me into fits of passion, anger, frustration and joy as it's done for the past 5 seasons.
Trash!!! No more Bones for me!! HH, I hate you!
Didn't particularly care for the season finale, don't hate it I just thought it should have been done in 2 hours rather than 1. Season 6, I think Zack will be the anthropologist in which they come to depend on while Brennen is gone. Dr. Sweets will convince people that it is a necessary part of his therapy, thereby allowing Zack to return without messing with the doctor patient confidentiality.
All of you saying the season 5 finale was bad, shame on you. And shame on you for even SUGGESTING giving up on the show now ("this would be a perfect place for the show to end"?!?!?!?!!?! Why in the world would the show end with them separating!?) This finale, in my opinion, was perfect. It was true to the characters and gives them a chance to stand on their own rather than constantly depending on each other, and eventually resenting each other for not living their lives the way they would've wanted. These opportunities are important to both Booth and Bones and it will show them how much better they are together than apart. And Barowyn, your suggestion for season 6 is absolutely insane.
Season 6 is going to be great, so if you all want to give up now and miss out, fine. Your mistake. After 5 seasons of near perfection, I have faith that the writers know what they're doing, and I'm going to enjoy it.
"Mr. Adventure" could likely handle a spin-off, but I like him where he is. Good ending, certainly relative to last year! Lots of promise and possibilities for next season.
season 6 is gonna start at the fountain brennan sitting waiting, getting a phone call we here "i'm still here waiting for booth, oh there they are" hang up we see her face light up she waves and calls booth. after the opening credits its business as usual for the rest of the season, booth will appear more detached and analytical, fall finale ends with the birth of jack and angelas baby boy ( which we never find the name of till the series finale) in said finale we go back to the opening scene and find out its two years later not one. after brennan calls booth she bends down and the newly walking toddler runs into her arms followed by mommy angela who thanks brennan for taking lil' booth for the weekend. camera pans down to the manuscript next to where brennan was sitting title bones. a gust of wind blows the first page open in the dedication we read "in loving memory of sealy booth beloved father and friend" the page morphs into his gravestone and camera pans back to his funeral. he had died while in Afghanistan and the entire episodes of s6 were brennans new book.
Didn't like it. Rushed and too slow at same time. Made me very apathetic about next season with more of the same pulling them apart. Missed opportunities for friends to really say goodbye and talk not just on the surface. And holding hands with the most important person in your life when one is going to Indonesian jungle and other to a war zone is so wrong and unreal. Haven't enjoyed it mush since 100th episode as they got too caught up in putting roadblocks in front of bones and Booth and let the cases slide. Done being promised a pay-off or some big thing between B and B only to be disappointed. If I wanted to watch a relationship play out like this I'd just watch folks in my real life. That's not why most of us watch TV. I'm not planning on watching season 6 as at this point I see no future for them as a couple and they've drug it out so long that I don't really care anymore.
I agree with this review. This wasn't an amazing episode but I thought it was good. I'm not surprised that Hart retweeted this article. I can't wait for season 6 to start!!
I liked the ending. Remember Bone's can't admit to herself yet that she loves Booth, so he is not pushing her. Remember what happened in the 100th episode when Booth kissed her. She wasn't ready for that. So the ending of the finale was great.
Liked the finale a lot, except for the ending, because let's face it, real people would at least have hugged! Going to Afghanistan resp. Indonesia in times like these you cannot leave your love interest and best friend without a kiss. Other than that and as all the heartbreaking was done in the epic 100th episode, there wasn't much to do but to get ready to say goodbye for a really long time. I actually felt a little sad for Cam and Sweets because they are left behind and everyone is living their dream. But the 365 days away from each other will give everyone a little perspective on their lives and I'm almost ready to bet that there will be a baby next season, because Angela and Hodgins need to start now if they are ever going to have more than one. And if the writers can hear me, please, don't start next season with yet another set of love interests for Booth and Brennan. If they really are supposed to be together it has to be now or never. And season five felt more like never. One last thing, dear writers, it is just one year and as Booth and Brennan are going to work and not to therapy there better not be any radical personality changes. After all, a year is just 365 days!
Great Finale! I agree with all your points Stefanie. Especially #1. OMG!! Hot! I loved it! Although the ending was sad! Not even a hug? Come on! GO AFTER HER, BOOTH! You know you want to!
Honestly, this episode was pretty consistent with the characters. When I saw HH's tweets about "Angry pitchfork mobs" I was really worried, but the only disappointment I have with this episode was 1) speed- It was too fast to have us find out about the trips and them leave in the same episode, especially with the flair for which this show is known to draw things out- and 2) the fact that we get cut off at the point where we have Jack bonding with a non-Zack male character only for them to be in a not bonding situation in the in-between. Even if I didn't love Sweets already, that would have made be happy. Basically, it felt like the season long arc wasn't properly paced, even if I do think we would have ended up at this point no matter how they had paced things this season.

In entire truth, I went and checked to make sure that we got a renewal for next year (we do), because I would have been VERY sad face about that being the end for the entire series, but for a season end. . . it ended the season well.

Also, the only episode that has really upset me was the "flashback" episode. The series wide inconsistencies bugged the crap out of me. And I still wasn't joining angry mobs for that, so joining one for this seems sill.
I would also be ESTATIC if any of the previous scenarios suggested become true a.k.a. We don't see the total time-year-jump all at once, but instead, the s6 openener starts with Brennan was asked to make a quick report about a plane crashing down on Indonesia and she's sent in to identify, finds out some crazy terrorism stuff, and leaves to afgasnistan to warn him about possible terrorists in his aera

Or I mean, any kinds of these type scenarios, They are still gone, still sepapated, but everyone once in a while they aid each other throughout the year so they are not truly a year apart. So instead of waiting 1 full year for Booth to see Brenna, it'd be more like 2-3 months at this point and they can stil have their coffee by the relecting pool.

That right there would catapult me to giving this TV show ONE LAST TRY!!!!! But I swear, anymore heartbeacking stuff, I'm out and completely done with the seies
I am still livid for what happened in the finale. I think B%B could have EASILY just kissed in the airport and then have Bones force Booth away, with tears in her eyes, and she says "I have to go, Booth" AND THEN THEY BOTH LEAVE and Still meet one year later at the coffee cart and all! I mean seriously, would it have changed the story line that much? Even after they both turn around, one of them (preferably Bones) should have yelled across the airport "I LOVE YOU" and then boarded her plan yadda yadda yadda.

I just feel like the creators/writers chicken out and it was a low punch to the fans. I was expecting something, ANYTHING, between B&B, even if they had to be separated. I feel just incredibly let down :(
I have to say it was an awesome finale... people should remember what happened in the 100th episode and what happened in the finale... are we really expecting a different outcome? YES. are we going to get it? YES.
Great season finale, can't wait for season 6
I have read a lot of peoples thoughts on "The beginning in the end" and a lot of them think of it as an Epic Fail. I disagree I think that this season final will give the (writers) characters room to grow or as Bones would say evolve. They have all changed in incremental degrees over the least five seasons. But this next seasons allows the to grow even further and hopefully for Bones its means she'll actually be able to accept the fact that she really is in love with Booth.
It threw me for a loop last night,but I did like it alot! I hope it picks up at the airport at the beginning of next season. I would like to see Booth and Bones run and hug each other.
The finale was so wonderful and it opened up so many doors of possibility! This article, by the way, was retweeted by Hart Hanson. It warmed the cockles of his heart and I agree. Well-written article. Thank you for the perspective. I cannot wait to see where the show goes in Season Six. I love the fact that I don't know what's coming next. Usually we believe we know what's coming next.... dead guy, solve, end with drinks, the end. SOMETHING NEW is coming and it will be sooo good for the show. I'll be tuning in come October! :)
I would love a mid-break extended episode where Bones is called away from Indonesia to identify remains where Booth is stationed and it is unknown if Booth is one of the sets of remains. So then Bones finds out Booth was taken hostage and Bones goes into save him, thus getting caught herself. Then Booth and Bones have to get out of the situation together bringing them even closer together. (Insert scene where they hook up because they think they are going to die here). Then they escape and Bones has to go back to Indonesia and when the regular season starts they have had time to think about what happened. Bones is reluctant to continue to act on her feelings now that she has had time to think and Booth spends a lot of time trying to seduce her into realizing she can't stay away from him anymore. Hmmm, sounds good to me anyway... I guess it is just because I don't want to wait so long until next season. I think they can have Bones and Booth get together for real but still spend a lot of time with foreplay before they actually really become a couple, especially with how Bones has such a hard time with change. I don't want it to go straight from angst to relationship I don't think it would do Bones character justice. Just my thoughts...
i loved it!
"Hodgepodge and Mr. Adventure"? I LOVE it! Excellent review, excellent episode.
i like last night eposide

im confused on how they will do next season but anxious 2 c it
Anxiously awaiting the Fall to see what all "the year" will bring. I love this show and ALL of its characters. They've done a phenomenal job!
It really was a great episode. I would love to see Booth and Bones get together, but sometimes when the main characters get together, the show starts to go downhill. I'm hoping the year apart from everyone will give a new perspective on Season 6.
I think Bones will find that the dig in Indonesia is false or was rigged somehow. She'll take the lead in discovering how it was faked and who did it. She'll be targeted by the scammer, and she'll have to call in her friends to help. Booth gets sent to Indonesia to hunt down a lead regarding a terrorist ring.
I just watched it and I think it was a great season finale! It'll probably give a fresh storyline for Season 6. P.S. Too bad that Booth's relationship with the marine biologist wasn't shown at all after the aquarium episode. She was HOT!
I really enjoyed the season finale. Probably my favourite among the series finales I've watched so far. I've thought that ever since the episode before this, Bones wants to go back to her old self. It would be nice if we see her next season as her old self and Booth has to "change" her again. I do want to know if they will still have the same job when they come back. I mean they can't just get their jobs as forensic anthropologist and FBI agent duo after a year of leave. Like maybe Bones will get assigned to a new partner or something. I cannot wait for the next season.
The whole "one year" departure isn't really anything special. It makes it sound as if any one of the characters could leave the series but in reality it won't make any real difference at all.