Bones: What Do You Want to Happen Next?

I didn’t think we'd ever see an episode of Bones that was more heartbreaking than the series' 100th episode, but I was wrong. Last night's “The Doctor in the Photo” was actually a whole hour’s worth of sad.

The episode contained several Bones firsts: We saw Brennan (Emily Deschanel) abandon rational thought, lose her composure, and even hallucinate while investigating the death of a famous doctor who bore a strong resemblance to her. It would be an understatement to say that Brennan’s behavior was disorienting.

And, as I suspected might eventually happen after the 100th episode aired last spring, Brennan changed her mind about Booth. Her emotional connection to a case in which the victim was very similar to Brennan herself led to Brennan breaking down over the possibility of dying alone. At which point she realized she should have given Booth a real chance—and told him as much. Booth (David Boreanaz) turned her down, and it was an incredibly low moment for both of them.

After that emotional climax, Brennan and Booth seemed to resume their routine friendship—but I felt this strong sense of hopeless exhaustion between them that I don't think existed last spring. Back then, there was still hope that Brennan might change her mind and that she and Booth would live happily ever after. But now it seems like there isn't much more to be said or done. So what happens next?

With a dark turn like this, it’s hard to say. A few episodes ago, I would have guessed that Hannah (Katheryn Winnick) was a temporary fix for a permanent problem, but Hannah and Brennan have actually developed a believable friendship. Their connection is not based solely on Booth; they respect one another’s opinions and fields of expertise, and they're close to him for very different reasons. They also relate to his son, Parker, very differently. I don’t think Hannah and Booth are breaking up any time soon—something’s going to have to happen to Hannah in order for Booth and Brennan’s relationship to reach any new levels. And I'm honestly not sure what that might be, nor do I know what I'd want it to be. Only one thing's for certain: I can’t wait to hear what Sweets (John Francis Daley) has to say about all this.

Additional notes on the episode:

... As much of a bummer as this episode was, I was delighted to see Emily Deschanel get a chance to act. Seeing Brennan in a state of distress was fascinating.

... Brennan's friendship with the security guard, Micah (Enrico Colantoni), was also curious. Micah seems like the type of character we should have met a long time ago; I hope this isn’t the last we see of him.

... I was really impressed with the look and feel of this episode. It had a film noir quality to it—mysterious but not creepy, quiet but not eerie. And the camera angles showed Brennan from above many times, perhaps signifying that she wasn’t really hallucinatiing, after all.

What did you think of “The Doctor in the Photo”? And what do you want to happen next?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

I found this episode really interesting, especially with the characters introduced. There was a pilot who was in love with the doctor and I think he would be perfect for Brenan. I don’t see how everything can just go back to normal. I think Brenan needs a significant other and the fact that Booth has met the pilot and knows that he has already fallen for one smart woman and is not intimidated by them will show him that this relationship actually has a chance. This I believe will make him see the situation in a whole new light. Also I think Brenan needs to be more open.
I really hope Hanna doesn't die. That would seem like Bones is his second choice, that he would only be with her if Hanna wasn't there. I hope it's HIS choice if she leaves. Also, Micha said "in the five years I've known you..." or something like that. If he's a hallucination, it's a LONG one. So, not likely that he is.
A truly engaging and heart wringing episode. Loved Brennan's development and that she was not afraid to share it with Booth even though it cut them both to the quick.
And I admit how Micah's appearance had the feeling of a hallucination. Don't think it was one, however. I would love to see that character again for sure.
Seriously though who thought Micah, the security guard, was a hallucination!!! I was freakin' out, part of my paranoia thinks that his presence has not actually been confirmed.
I got the impression that Michah was her rational mind creating someone to sympathize with her because she cannot begin to believe two vastly different sides of the same story in her rational mind.
@lefty1213 Maybe it will be mika instead. Booth will have to make a choice between joinig hannah abroad or staying(keep in mind he came back for parker.
SPOILER ALERT: i think that lady that booth is dating is going to die. i only say that because they said that someone is going to die this season. and that would be perfect just cause that would only seem like the only way that her character would leave because booth really seems into her!!
For the sake of the show, they should develop the relationship between guard/Bones, This ying/yang thing works, even in real life!!!!

The show needs some new turn, as its wearing thin. We have the baby coming, booth/hannah, , whats next? Parker becomes the new guy in the lab with the other turnstile of guys?
Hannah has actually not taken up that much screen time. Some people just hate the character because she is an obstacle between Booth and Bones. The fact is she expressed fear of meeting Parker. Doesn't anyone find the irony here considering what she does for a living and she even commented on that herself. She found a way to talk to Parker and they are friends now. Parker likes her. Parker also likes Bones. Let's remember that it is Booth who is really into his relationship being alright with Parker so if any blame needs to be put onto the whole thing with Parker liking Hannah then blame it on Booth. Now, we've known for ages about the tension between Booth and Bones and we finally were able to see what happened way back when. Something might have happened but didn't. More than once since then something could have happened but didn't. Bones screwed up. Of course she is entitled to being scared, questioning her feelings, and whatnot, but that shouldn't curse Booth to being single after Bones outright shot him down at the end of last season. Bones made her decision and Booth moved on. There's no reason he couldn't move on and actually find someone he did fall in love with. It's very plausible. Bones will have to learn to accept that. In the end, regardless of whether they select Hannah as a long-term character I expect something to occur where maybe Bones almost dies or Booth does and Hannah will see just how deep the feelings run between the two of them. I don't think she'll be jealous and simply run away but I do feel that Hannah is intelligent and she may maturely step out of the way for them to be together. Regardless, the episode was very interesting in many ways and opened our eyes to quite a bit. I hope to see more of Hannah and more interaction between her and Bones. Both are extremely independent and intelligent women. That's probably another reason Booth is attracted to both.
Get them together I have always say. The writers are too afraid to be cliche but can't they think that it's a new avenue for them to explore in the show? How their incompatibility might actually be entertaining as a couple.
I want them to be together because they love each other not because Hannah dies, it would be a huge MISTAKE for there relationship to start because of that. I think its ridiculous how much time the show has focused on the Booth Hannah relationship. Bones and Booth are the only two people any true fan cares about. The real question is could have Booth really have loved bones that much if he is so over the moon for Hannah? and what scares me is that Booth is showing no doubt about his relationship with Hannah, so my hope is that what happen in this episode will create that doubt that will lead him back to Bones. I feel that this episode even though it broke my heart was necessary. Over all I think something tragic and big is coming that will take the show out of its slump!
I'm not sure I even care what happens next. So far this season has been tedious and lacking. Far too much time is spent on the dreadfully uninteresting Hannah character (I mean, do any of us really care whether Parker likes her or not? And yet about a third of that episode's screen time was given over to Hannah quaking in her boots about how kids don't like her) and the chemistry between Bones and Booth is totally off, which is ironic because this season's tagline was "Chemistry keeps them together." And I was really looking forward to this episode because I thought it might be a great return to form, but I was bored, to be honest. It just felt like the writers were trying desperately to undo all the mistakes they've made during this first half of the season. I think it's a little too late for that.
I was disappointed in this episode. Last season the writers got themselves in a bind and chose not to follow through, when we set that aside, the audience has lost two integral aspects (1 being adrenaline rushes induced by arcs Gormagon and Gravedigger and 2 deep underlying feelings) on the count of more recent episodes attempting humor and parody. Bones, for me, is stuck in a very weird place right now and I can't wait for it to get back to it's classics if the writing stuff doesn't intend to follow through on season 5's emotional revelations
I thought Micah was an hallucination. =D

I think Hannah is here to stay so I don't really know what can happen. Perhaps they could have a major disagreement about their point of view on Wikileaks and break up over it. =P
This episode broke my heart! I believe that Hannah is a rebound relationship and won't last for the rest of the season. The main reason for this,is that while Booth and Hannah are "living together,"Hannah leaveswhenever Parker visits Booth. That tells me that Booth is not fully committed to Hannah.

Booth and Brennan will be reconciled before the end of the season.
This episode truly broke my heart. It is too bad that Bones couldn't get her act together enough earlier to bring her and Booth together; now, it would seem that it is just too late. Hannah is a waste of space, so surely they will ditch her soon, and that would help the B/B situation. Somehow, I feel that Booth is trying too hard to convince himself that he loves Hannah just a bit too much. Maybe, maybe not, who knows... I did like Micah and the depth of character he showed in this episode. Sure hope he will be back for more shows.
I'm sorry but ever since this new season had begun I felt like something was missing and that was the relationship between booth and bones and the development of the main characters... I don't watch the show just for that (proof is that i still watch it - the cases are fine) but everything seemed so stagnant somehow on the show, the only thing changing being the case... and this episode finally felt right... I wouldn't mind those two being together because they are only one part of the story, the cases and friends would still make it ok and if the writers are good the show would be awesome (I recommend the ones who wrote Charmed... Piper's marriage is the only successful one I know of and I loved every minute of it)
This episode needed to happen. Although I quite enjoy the Brennan character, her complete lack of circumspection and critical distance from her own ideologies had become very limiting. Her friends and co-workers, while admiring her unique abilities, frequently had to defer their points of view, not because Brennan was unwilling to acknowledge another's argument, but because she was unable to acknowledge an alternative system for conveying value outside of empirical logic. This episode changes that.

Ultimately, I think she and Booth belong together, but I think when they do, it's the end of the show. After all, this is THEIR story. I like Hannah, and I believe both Booth's love for her and Brennan's friendship with her. And I DON'T think she should be martyred, though I imagine she's eventually going to feel confined in Washington, which may turn out to be the seed of a Booth-breakup. But most of all, I'm interested to see how Brennan adapts, now that she's willing to admit (to herself as much as others) her feelings for Booth.
I was sure it was going to be revealed that Micah was in fact a hallucination of Brennan's. Someone only she saw and who knew so many things because Bones did. And Booth wondered in the car who Micah was, like he had never heard of him before.
A great episode to be sure, emotional and I can't wait to see what happens next between Booth and Brennan. I want Micah to come back too, although he's got his own series, Flashpoint, which I watch just as religiously, so I hope neither has to suffer.
I agree with "paige1408" : BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!
I know the two will eventually hook up and probably by the end of this season but Booth is better off without Brennan. She has gotten more and more self-centered to the point it has become irrititating and not endearing. a great example is the rock camp case last season when she unplugged that rockstar's guitar during a concert because booth wasn't listening to her. i'd like to see someone do that to her when she's in the middle of her job LOL
all i can say is BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!
Micah is obviously in Bone's head.
It was a great episode, but I have to say that I'm over the whole Booth/Brennan thing. For them to be together one or both of them would have to change the way they are drastically, and sublimating part of yourself like that is no way to start a romantic relationship.
I can't say I liked it. Didn't dislike it either, though. It seemed kind of forced to me, I had the feeling that it was a dream all along. Bones had her chance to be with Booth and missed it, so I'm not looking forward Booth leaving Hannah just because Bones is afraid to die alone. She could just meet another love interest instead. And move on. I could buy it.
Liked the episode, very much, and Emily Deschanel... Not many actors can cry when they have to in front of camera... What I like to see happen next, is Hanna and Booth breaking up... But that's what I wanted from the first look of Hanna on.
I'm glad that the show is in some way moving with the Booth/Bones storyline. For Bones, to finally admit she made a mistake was a big step and I think Booth will eventually also rethink if he is really with the right woman.

Loved Emily Deschanel here. She was great and it was good to see another side of Bones.
I think my best friend said it best this episode had to happen now it will be a triangle and booth in the end will have to decide bwt the two women and I have to agree. This episode was needed so now it is all out there and the rest of the season will build toward the end and the choice
While I admit this was a very moving episode, if things do not get slightly more hopeful in this season, I might have to stop watching. There is only so much emotional distress one person can take from their television.
I loved where the episode got Brennan as a character but I hate the fact we have to wait another month to find out how this plays out
i dont think Micah is a figment of Bones's imagination...that would just be like House.

first time i ve seen Bones have emotions maybe this episode is better than the 100th episode.
Loved it, loved it, loved it. I cried through almost the whole episode, but it was a good cry.
security guard, Micah, a product of bones mind? Even booth ask who that guy is.... hummm... she was out of her mind, saw her, listen to her, so the guard was another manifestation, of their lucid mind.I dont want to see booth and bones stick together.... only in the end of the serie. I think hannah could be kidnapp by Zack (he was just in a low institution secury right?) and kill her... booths crazy actions during all new series and then, booth and bones together! Sweet!
I hope I'm not right (mainly because it would be sooooooooo tritely typical!) but they've been selling us Hannah as a thrill-seeker journalist, bored with her actual assignment... So much so that, almost from the beginning, I've been expecting her to be killed on one of her "sneaky-not-approved-by-her-boss-undercover" features...
am i the only one who thinks micah might be bones figment of imagination
This is really starting to get old... -____-
Here's what's gonna happen (in my imagination without aid from any spoilers, call it a gut feeling)... Dr. Brennan will have to live with her regret... it will help her learn to compromise and feel and love freely (w/o this she and Booth wouldn't last anyway)... Booth will try to be happy and fulfilled w/ Hannah, but it will be a ruse... Hannah will sense this... there may or may not be a Booth must save Bones- vise versa- in the end the writers will make Hannah the hero of the relationship (because they really want us to love her) and she'll bow out, but Booth will need "time but not space" to lick his wounds from this failed relationship, which will give Bones time to show him that she does have an open heart and can commit to the kind of relationship he needs. (Again I read no spoils so take this for what it's worth!)
This Episode was a episode I've been waiting for since Hannah came in to Booth's life. Dr. Brennan will never fully be the same having to admit that she wants Booth. I see a love interest in the future for her and Booth may not be to comfortable when he sees how Brennan maybe trying to hard to fall in love and Hannah would Question Booth's Motive For not Liking Brennan's New Bow! That could be a great breakup Scenario.
I belive Micah is a figment of Bones imagination
Don't forget guys, they can't just do whatever completely: this series is based on the books. I agree that I think it will be Hannah that leaves: she'll say she's got to chase a lead back to Iraq or something, but it'll happen. Then it'll be B&B babysitting their godchild (like the writers aren't going to tug that string), and Brennan will restart the idea of her having his baby..... But in the mean time we'll have a complete reversion to uber-stoic Brennan and quietly solicitous Booth (who won't tell Hannah what Brennan said, sowing a seed).
well we all know either a they will kill off booths girlfriend which is dumb ad cliche or b they will just break up off screen maybe on screen and bones will jump into his arms he'll put his cocky belt on her and they'll walk off out of the building ending the show. either way i honestly don't care anymore about their stupid relationship.
emily deschanel was superb in this episode her acting was over the top. I am so saddened with the fact that she opened up to booth and he rejected her. I felt after watching this episode that I no longer want to continue watching bones. I feel very strongly that bones and booth belong together. they are best when they are together. hopefully the writers will wake up. they have been hinting all along of thier relationship and no end it..it is to sad for me
loved this episode, hopefully they will build on it and not push it under the rug. i like the character Micah, but disagree with the fact that he is an hallucination. For one its been done before with booth and two Brennen said the character has been around for nine years.
This episode reminded me of Brennan's advice to Angela in the first season when Angela thinks she will never have another chance at love. "Nothing in this Universe happens just once. Nothing. Infinity goes in both directions. There is no unique event, no singular moment." I just hope that the writers don't have the next episode returning everyone to pseudo normal... let's watch Brennan grow as a character!
i loved this episode in a melancholy sort of way.It was so sad at the end when Brennan declared her feelings and Booth turned her down-I actually cried a bit.The whole episode was geniusly good written and I do hope this is the sign to how the serie will go on.After reading the other comments I have to join in to the sadness I feel over the way it turned out,but as all optimistic people out there;it's not over yet!here's to hoping for bones and booth hook up in the near future...
I hated and loved this episode. I hated it cause it was so surrealistic that Brennan would go crazy over such a boring case, but I loved it cause of the ending. When Brennan finally realizes what she's missing, and what a huge mistake she did. The B&B scene in the car was fantastic! I think that Booth won't be able to get their conversation out of his head, and that the longer he thinks about it, the more he realizes that he must leave Hannah and be with Brennan. But before that happens, he will propose to Hannah, just to prove to himself that it's her he loves and not Brennan. And then, just a few minutes before the wedding starts, he sees Brennan in a beautiful dress and runs up to her and kiss her. Brennan will be chocked at first, but then the music will start, and they will have the greatest kissing-scene of all times. And then, of course, Hannah will see it, and run out in then forest or something and cry. But I doubt that she will get very mad, cause she has seen what a great relationship B&B have, and understand their feelings for each other. And then they will talk, fight and whatever, and then the season finale will end with Brennan saying: "I love you, Booth.". Wouldn't that be awesome? :D
I did forget to mention - I totally think Micah is a "hallucination". I wonder if he'll continue to come to Bones in times of trouble?
I can't wait to see what happens next.
I think HH's gamble will not pay off. He's alienated too many fans and not just shippers. The focus used to be Booth and Bones, the squints, and the cases. Now it seems to be Hannah and Booth. I don't like the actress that plays Hannah and they've sucked the life and fun out of the characters we get to see and treat the rest of the cast worse than guest stars. The ratings are falling fast and I expect that when they return they will fall even more. HH and SN have hung their fans out to dry once to often and they seem to think we like this sad. desperate soap opera but they are wrong. We want writers who can give us good solid cases, fun, and the chemistry between Booth and Bones and the rest of the team. It's fine to do things your way HH but in the real world there are costs to ignoring the folks who make it possible for you to express your creativity with a TV show. HH has a slim chance at resuscitating this show but not if he refuses to give the audience what they want. You can't expect us to wait around forever to reach a destination and especially if you insist on making the journey unbearable and sad.
Load More Comments